[Drama 2013] ★ Secret | Secret Love 비밀 ★

Guest msmall

• partyon changed the title to [Drama 2013] ★ Secret | Secret Love 비밀 ★
  • 9 months later...

I have so many favourite moments from that drama. So yesterday, I think I was rewatching for the n-th time and there is this one scene that always makes me feel so much. 

The party scene where he drags her to the party and the ex BF (that $%$## scumbag) threw her to the wolves, or rather wolf by bringing such disgrace to the woman that went out of her way to save his neck. Ji Sung's character might be the biggest jerk on earth but he still has more decency than the so called ex! I love how he comes to her rescue and does what was actually expected out of that baby faced scumbag of an ex. He seems to attain new levels of depravity every single time I watch him on screen. Anyway, I throughly enjoyed the fist fight involving the three men. Even when his character is a jerk and obsessed with his revenge, he doesn't let anyone bring disgrace to a woman's dignity.  But I am still upset and can't forgive him for kneeling in front of him and his fiancé and the ex BF in one of the previous episodes when she came to him to ask for the money for her father's treatment.

The other scene that makes me feel a ton of emotions are when he goes completely berserk after she goes away and works at a construction site diner. And that smile of relief as he looks at her surreptitiously, well yeah, that makes my heart mushy and I turn into a puddle. Ji Sung's is so charismatic and his smile is enough to send us women into a tizzy. Anyway, without digressing, I feel that's when the feelings start sproutin and he is quite oblivious to what it means. To go crazy after she 'hides' from him,   and him frantically looking for her to threading her to come back with him. I love these little things he does that give away his feelings for her. Making her work at his house, to making her sit on his chair while she read and stealing glances at her.... he's in too deep. It is just a matter of time before he realises and confronts his feelings. 

@partyon

On 11/26/2020 at 4:22 AM, partyon said:

I feel like this scene is important, because I always get the sense that it's the first time Min Hyuk is actually fully in love and is ready to become a better person in order to make the other person happy. Yoo Jung is also experiencing true love for the first time, because she has Min Hyuk who accepts her for who she is. Something Do Hoon never truly did.

This!:heart: I think you really hit the nail with this. Beautifully summed up. :dorakiss:

Thanks for reminding me of the thread. I love the drama. Obsessed with it. It is my go to rewatch drama. And, most importantly, I am enjoying reading the thoughts of changes here and reliving those moments from the drama agin. :piggydance: 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

@confusedheart what episodes are you talking about? I haven't seen that yet. I am only at episode 6 haha.

I am totally grossed out by the romantic encounters between the two second leads. Mainly, because the guy started looking at her already before his fiancée went to jail. And also, because I just think the encounters are strange. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

2 hours ago, agenth said:

@confusedheart what episodes are you talking about? I haven't seen that yet. I am only at episode 6 haha.

I am totally grossed out by the romantic encounters between the two second leads. Mainly, because the guy started looking at her already before his fiancée went to jail. And also, because I just think the encounters are strange. 

I just finished Episode 6 as well! What a weird drama this is!

Min Hyuk is INSANE.

Do Hoon is an awful person! Did he really pick up Yoo Jung's dad and then bring him somewhere to die?!

Yoo Jung has the most depressing life ever. Going to jail (which was her decision to take the fall), having her baby taken away from her, having her baby die without being able to see him :tears:, not getting parole because of Sad Eyes, being stalked and tormented by Min Hyuk, and having her father die. Good grief! She's supposed to be happy but she spends most of the 6 episodes crying. I don't think I ever need to watch Episodes 1 - 5 ever again. :D

And yeah, not crazy about the romantic vibes between Se Yeon and Do Hoon....

And the fact that Se Yeon tried to confess her love to Min Hyuk and then settled for a business marriage anyway. Girl, have some respect for yourself! Or is she trying to take revenge on MH?

@partyon @confusedheartand @Sleepy Owl I have some questions. :D

1. Did that other inmate hurt baby San per someone's instructions so she could go to vocational school?

2. Why was the short-haired inmate angry with that inmate and why did she start beating her in the ironing room?

3. If Yoo Jung was rolling around in the sand, how could her white dress be so pristine in the next scene? :rubchin:

I hope the answers to questions #1 and #2 are answered later. :lol:

My prevailing thought right now is that Yoo Jung and Min Hyuk should never get together! Not after he choked her, prevented her from getting parole, bought her dad's building and kicked them out, and put her in uncomfortable positions.

Still thinking that Do Hoon is the worse man though.

ALL that to say, I will keep watching to find out what happens with this nutso arc. :joy: I already like it that Min Hyuk is softening toward Yoo Jung. And having him on screen is the best part of the drama.

Interesting that Ji Sung and Hwang Jung Eum are in two dramas together back to back! People really liked them together in Secret, eh?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

17 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

1. Did that other inmate hurt baby San per someone's instructions so she could go to vocational school?

I wouldn't want to answer this because you will found out later in the drama - I think maybe around ep 9 or 10... :grimace: It would be a spoiler.

2. Why was the short-haired inmate angry with that inmate and why did she start beating her in the ironing room?

There was a lot of tension between the inmates (always is in prison because of pecking orders), but I get the impression that the inmate who wanted to go to vocational school was not popular among the others. Mostly because she was not loyal and the other inmates could tell she was up to something fishy....

Yoo Jung was not well liked by other inmates in the beginning, but even they started to see what a good person she is and they started taking her side / protecting her.

3. If Yoo Jung was rolling around in the sand, how could her white dress be so pristine in the next scene?

Don't think too much chingu  - just turn your brain off :D

My prevailing thought right now is that Yoo Jung and Min Hyuk should never get together! Not after he choked her, prevented her from getting parole, bought her dad's building and kicked them out, and put her in uncomfortable positions.

You are not wrong with your thoughts. If you can understand the feelings behind the leads' actions instead of just looking at their behavior, it will allow you to make better sense of the plot.

:kiss_wink:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

Min Hyuk is INSANE.

Do Hoon is an awful person! Did he really pick up Yoo Jung's dad and then bring him somewhere to die?!

Min Hyuk is a very obsessive man. His life is pretty empty, despite the riches etc. I guess when he found his exgf, he felt like she saw someone in him, beyond his money/title. Now that she's gone, so is his "reason". 

The many ways that Do Hoon is terrible.... don't make me start. I knew he was going to kill the father - it was the look in his eyes once the demented father had a clear thought. His twofacedness makes me sick - the way he keeps "helping" / romancing second female lead, and his former fiancée both at the same time; and acting like he is just and morally upright. 

It felt satisfying when he got trouble at work (though I don't understand how), but now he resigned and takes a cushy corporate job at KGroup - the only reason he gets it because he is going to be tortured later on. 

The only question I have is that I don't understand what happened to baby San. @partyon did Do Hoon make fake death of his own child? Because his father said how awful Yoojung is for giving up the baby for adoption....

1 hour ago, partyon said:

I wouldn't want to answer this because you will found out later in the drama - I think maybe around ep 9 or 10... :grimace: It would be a spoiler.

I suspect that Min Hyuk had something to do with this as his agenda was to make Yoojung's life in prison uncomfortable. It seems realistic considering Yoojung was always in lalaland in prison. Her life in prison looked too idyllic apart from the iron and baby incident. It's unrealistic they allow her to keep her baby in prison. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, agenth said:

The only question I have is that I don't understand what happened to baby San. @partyon did Do Hoon make fake death of his own child? Because his father said how awful Yoojung is for giving up the baby for adoption....

Chingu, this question will be answered later on in the drama. Might have been in ep 9 or 10. And there will be more revelations in ep 14 or 15.

Patience :dorakiss:

Which episode are you on?

• LOL 1
  • Blob 2

30 minutes ago, partyon said:

Chingu, this question will be answered later on in the drama. Might have been in ep 9 or 10. And there will be more revelations in ep 14 or 15.

Patience

:D

At least our questions mean we're engaged with the drama, right? :joy:

I finished episode 7 over breakfast and will tune into episode 8 here pretty soon. I watched THREE episodes yesterday! (and cried).

Definitely binge-able. The acting is excellent all around, although I'm not too crazy about Se Yeon.

32 minutes ago, agenth said:

The many ways that Do Hoon is terrible.... don't make me start. I knew he was going to kill the father - it was the look in his eyes once the demented father had a clear thought. His twofacedness makes me sick - the way he keeps "helping" / romancing second female lead, and his former fiancée both at the same time; and acting like he is just and morally upright.

Yup!! He is turning into a very, very bad man. I'm still angry at him for not showing up at the dad's funeral, too - though it just shows how guilty he is. He is slime.

So funny to see that actor be a bad guy in The King's Affection, too!

1 hour ago, partyon said:

Don't think too much chingu  - just turn your brain off

About that white dress still being pristine....that will bother me for a while LOL. :lol:

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, the_sweetroad said:

Definitely binge-able. The acting is excellent all around, although I'm not too crazy about Se Yeon.

I didn't watch the drama when it aired. I binge watched it like a year later - right after Kill Me, Heal Me aired in 2014. I couldn't stop watching. The story is very engaging and the acting (like you said) is amazing.

I wish there would be more dramas with acting like this.

So funny to see that actor be a bad guy in The King's Affection, too!

Bae Soo Bin is such an excellent actor - very underrated - and too often he has to play the villain. :bawling:

(and cried).

Chingu, even though I have watched this drama 4 times, I still cry like crazy even though I know what happens. It's just one of those dramas that manages to rip your heart out every single time...

Sad Ice Cream GIF

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, partyon said:

The story is very engaging and the acting (like you said) is amazing.

The highlight for me really is whenever Ji Sung is on the screen. He could just be standing around but he has a certain charisma. Plus you're not ever quite sure what he's up to. Hwang Jung Eum is a wonderful actress but every time she's on screen it's too painful to think of what she's going through. :)  

Also. Best subtitle ever.

spacer.png

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

The acting is excellent all around, although I'm not too crazy about Se Yeon.

not sure whether it's her character or her acting.

she is supposed to be in love with minhyuk, but she never looked at him with warm eyes, unlike when she looks at Dohoon ... then it's all hearteyes, from the second meeting on. 

Which is bad for me as their encounters and talking really sicken me. So bad. Dohoon clearly was interested in Seyeon from the getgo - when his fiancée was about to get jailed FOR HIM. He's such a terrible person, a wolf in sheep's clothing. Everything he does really disgusts me. 

Especially this smirk-crying:

unknown.png

gross gag GIF by Anime Crimes Division

(Good job.... this is really a feat. How can you smirk and cry at same time? Wow, never seen this before.)

On 11/18/2021 at 9:44 AM, confusedheart said:

The party scene where he drags her to the party and the ex BF (that $%$## scumbag) threw her to the wolves, or rather wolf by bringing such disgrace to the woman that went out of her way to save his neck. Ji Sung's character might be the biggest jerk on earth but he still has more decency than the so called ex! I love how he comes to her rescue and does what was actually expected out of that baby faced scumbag of an ex. He seems to attain new levels of depravity every single time I watch him on screen. Anyway, I throughly enjoyed the fist fight involving the three men.

Hahaha what do you mean. Sad Boi didn't even lift a finger. He just smirk-cried. I wanted to punch him when he asked Yoojung why she came "looking like *that*" as if she was dressed inappropriately like selling herself. 

Anyways back to Seyeon:

Seyeon is kinda annoying. Sometimes she has good oneliners where she scolds Minhyuk, but I can't take her seriously, as in the span of 15 minutes she changed her mind about marrying Minyhuk thrice. And now, it is kinda unrealistic that Chairman would give her hotel shares that he planned on selling, just because she is becoming family. They aren't family yet. In fact that whole 5 year+ engagement is ridiculous. Wasn't chairman threatening her father because they tarried so long? Now he's all cool about the long engagement? The writing in those aspects is pretty weak. 

Still, I am somehow hooked. 

This drama may be super sad, but I'm not really the kind who cries for drama/movies. Mostly I get angry and frustrated. To this day I don't understand why Yoojung sacrificed herself for Dohoon, who never treated her well, but she thinks he walks on water.

8 hours ago, partyon said:

Which episode are you on?

now im on episode 8, finished it. it came out "someone" paid the prison girl to hurt the baby. that someone is still probably minhyuk, but it doesn't explain why san died in the orphanage.

• Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

Agreeing with much of what you're saying @agenth!

31 minutes ago, agenth said:

In fact that whole 5 year+ engagement is ridiculous. Wasn't chairman threatening her father because they tarried so long? Now he's all cool about the long engagement?

This is a bit baffling. I was also wondering why they weren't married already.

32 minutes ago, agenth said:

Which is bad for me as their encounters and talking really sicken me. So bad. Dohoon clearly was interested in Seyeon from the getgo - when his fiancée was about to get jailed FOR HIM. He's such a terrible person, a wolf in sheep's clothing. Everything he does really disgusts me. 

Especially this smirk-crying:

Yes. :lol: He is nasty, and getting nastier. Not even caring to cover Yoo Jung, raise her from the floor, or stop her from getting more disgraced. Even as a friend. During the eight episodes we've been watching him descend further into madness and backhandedness. Whereas Min Hyuk just started out obsessive and insane....but his human side is coming out as Yoo Jung draws it out of him.

33 minutes ago, agenth said:

Sad Boi

:joy:

35 minutes ago, agenth said:

Still, I am somehow hooked. 

Me, too! LOL.

@confusedheart this was your first drama ever?! What a one to start with!

Wondering about the title. I can get "Secret"...but "Secret Love" is harder to figure out. Since it doesn't seem like anyone loves anyone here, or if they do it's not a secret. Unless they're talking about Min Hyuk's growing love for YJ....guess we'll find out!

• Love 2
  • Blob 1

13 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

Wondering about the title. I can get "Secret"...but "Secret Love" is harder to figure out. Since it doesn't seem like anyone loves anyone here, or if they do it's not a secret. Unless they're talking about Min Hyuk's growing love for YJ....guess we'll find out!

I always thought Secret Love referred to the one between Dohoon and Yoojung, because they denied the existence of their relationship for so long. But it would be strange to name a series after FL and SML. In Korean it's only "Secret". 

13 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

Yes. :lol: He is nasty, and getting nastier. Not even caring to cover Yoo Jung, raise her from the floor, or stop her from getting more disgraced. Even as a friend. During the eight episodes we've been watching him descend further into madness and backhandedness. Whereas Min Hyuk just started out obsessive and insane....but his human side is coming out as Yoo Jung draws it out of him.

What I also don't understand is how come Dohoon is so smug. Minhyuk's arrogance I understand as he thinks he has power due to his background and title and family. But I laughed when Dohoon's response to Minhyuk, the latter knowing "a lot" about Dohoon (beyond his relationship with Yoojung), was to say that he knows one thing: Minhyuk isn't anything without the chairman as his father.

Minhyuk can ruin Dohoon's life by revealing that the "upright" prosecutor prosecuted his ex-fiancées case. Dohoon can't do much to Minhyuk in return...

In fact, it's not like Chairman will ever replace Dohoon with Minhyuk. Let's be real: there is only one heir to kgroup - Minhyuk's halfsister is a teen (or at least she acts like one, don't know her age). She won't be viable for Chairman spot for  another decade. Besides Chairman seems like a typical patriarch, he is only interested in the son. 

Just because Dohoon might manage to have the board dismiss Minhyuk as President of KHotel... doesn't mean Minhyuk's life is ruined. Chairman is infuriated the board tries to dismiss his son (it's funny how all these directors apparently have the cojones to do such a thing to the chairman's son). 

Seyeon apparently uses her shares to vote in favour of Minhyuk's dismissal since Minhyuk chose to come with Yoojung, another woman, to the party.... much like Seyeon chose to come with... Dohoon, another man. 

star trek spock GIF

I also laughed when stepmother made her daughter buy fake bags, convincing her she could have a bag a day LOL. I guess stepmother is trying to not anger her husband,... 

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

@agenth You really dislike Do Hoon, don't you? 80% of your posts are about how despicable Do Hoon is. :D

9 hours ago, agenth said:

(Good job.... this is really a feat. How can you smirk and cry at same time? Wow, never seen this before.)

Bae Soo Bin is an excellent actor, I tell you. :glasses:

9 hours ago, agenth said:

To this day I don't understand why Yoojung sacrificed herself for Dohoon, who never treated her well, but she thinks he walks on water.

To me the reason is her poor self-confidence. She has clearly always felt inferior to Do Hoon. They've had an unbalanced relationship when it comes to power. He's been the one "taking advantage" (not consciously) and she's been the "victim". Their relationship wasn't built on both parties being equal.

Therefore, he's the one who has been taking and she's the one who has been giving. Not a good relationship in any way.

Do I think that he loved her? Yes. Absolutely. But was their relationship healthy? No.

9 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

This is a bit baffling. I was also wondering why they weren't married already.

One of the most weird things about the drama tbh. I have also wondered about that.

• Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

10 hours ago, agenth said:

In Korean it's only "Secret". 

Keeping it as "Secret" makes sense to me from what I've seen of the show so far.

10 hours ago, agenth said:

In fact, it's not like Chairman will ever replace Dohoon with Minhyuk. Let's be real: there is only one heir to kgroup - Minhyuk's halfsister is a teen (or at least she acts like one, don't know her age). She won't be viable for Chairman spot for  another decade. Besides Chairman seems like a typical patriarch, he is only interested in the son. 

Just because Dohoon might manage to have the board dismiss Minhyuk as President of KHotel... doesn't mean Minhyuk's life is ruined. Chairman is infuriated the board tries to dismiss his son (it's funny how all these directors apparently have the cojones to do such a thing to the chairman's son). 

Yeah, it does seem like the Chairman is "for" his son, even if he doesn't like the way he behaves at times. For the Chairman to replace his son with Do Hoon, or Se Yeon, or whoever, would be a stretch. I was a bit shocked that Se Yeon voted to oust MH at the directors' meeting. At this point she and Do Hoon deserve each other.

And Min Hyuk is holding on tightly to his future marriage - he alternately treats Se Yeon as his future spouse (visiting her, "claiming" her in public) but he also just treats her like crap. If I were her I'd want to get out, too. Curious when he'll reach his breaking point and get out of the contract.

For her to vote against him, though....they'll have future issues :lol:

3 hours ago, partyon said:

To me the reason is her poor self-confidence. She has clearly always felt inferior to Do Hoon. They've had an unbalanced relationship when it comes to power. He's been the one "taking advantage" (not consciously) and she's been the "victim". Their relationship wasn't built on both parties being equal.

Therefore, he's the one who has been taking and she's the one who has been giving. Not a good relationship in any way.

Thanks for this insight. With her sacrificing so much so he could earn his spot as a Prosecutor (acting like the breadwinner in a marriage and supporting her "spouse"), he really should have married her WAY earlier. She gave too much, over too long.

BTW that burn on her shoulder looks worse and worse every time it comes on screen. :D

That dinner that Min Hyuk stumbled upon, where the inmate unnis force-fed him the fish stew....LOL.

And when MH accidentally called Yoo Jung when he was at the board meeting...also LOL.

Also - Wüthering Heights. LOL. :joy:

One question I still have is how did YJ end up collapsing in the bakery if the bakery was all closed up? Did she still have keys?

• Love 3

He seems to scale new heights of being despicable with each passing episode. :lol:

Have you guys watched the party scene yet? :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

@the_sweetroad Yup, my first ever drama. No on second thoughts, it was my second. My first ever had a curly haired bully of a boy who became putty in the hands of a feisty young woman.   :lol: I stayed up all night to watch that drama.

I agree with @agenth here. ADH seemed to fall for SY. I find his mom pretty annoying too. In fact the whole family is annoying. The mother reminds  me of the SML's mother from Thank You. Both of them were obsessed with their sons, so much so they ruined their love life completely. 

SY is quite sly playing with ADH and using him to her own advantage and ADH who is supposed to be quite a smart cookie seems to be a babe in the woods when he is with her. I don't think he truly loves her. She represents all that he had been aspiring for.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

31 minutes ago, confusedheart said:

My first ever had a curly haired bully of a boy who became putty in the hands of a feisty young woman.   :lol:

BOF was one of my first kdramas too. :D 

Agree with the fact that Do Hoon probably doesn’t love SY. He’s more infatuated with her because she is the lifestyle he wants.

In a way, both are using each other in order to achieve their goals:

1) SY: Min Hyuk’s love 

2) DH: his mother’s approval through becoming affluent and powerful

You see, I don’t think DH is bad to the core. I think a lot of his choices have to do with the pressure his mother is exerting over him. 
What we see in Secret, is Do Hoon losing his way because of that pressure 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1