[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

serenity95x3 said: ChelseaS said:

pegster said:
serenity95x3 said: Okay~ So after that intense "I-want-you-but-I'll-wait-for-you" scene between Sn and Th in the tent, she walks outside and proclaims, "I'm afraid".
What is she afraid of? Afraid that her heart is slowly beating for him without her realization? Or afraid that Th is straying from their goal? :-/

Guest Mary de Vera

Hi Empress Ki fans, just found this site today and after having watched the latest episode 33 of Empress Ki, I was wondering what will happen next so I googled this question; and low and behold I found this soompi website.  Well, I've read some of the discussions and my feeling is that Lady Ki has done an amazing job with staying strong physically and mentally to this point; I think the writer's will continue to build more strength for Lady Ki; but like all Korean dramas there will always be highs and lows, twists and turns, etc.  My only question is will the final episode end with the coronation of Lady Ki becoming Empress as we saw in the first episode? I really hope that the writers do not have that as the ending because that would totally SUCK considering there is still the issue with the Crown Prince (the biological son of Nyang and Wang Yu). I hope El Temur and his idiotic clan soon get killed off so that we can finally focus on the love triangle and the "love child" between Nyang and Wang Yu.Boy, I think this episode has gotten all of us excited because it's getting crazier by the minute!!

Re-watcching Master's Sun with a friend, never put 2 and 2 together that or beloved Tal Tal was in the fist episode.  Even out of period clothing his voice is damn sexy!!  I hope future episodes of EK will have lots more of him and he will have a lot of lines....so dreamy!!
Edit...sorry if this was off-topic a little and mentioned in a previous post :).....just having a drool moment =P~

Guest critics

@ChelseaS said:  "Since something ALWAYS goes wrong when ET clan plans something sinister, I hope DK won't be able to keep his promise and YBS is sentenced to death. Then his survival instincts will start to kick in and betray them."

I totally agree.

DK made a promise to give YBS anything he wants if ever they succeeded in overthrowing TH from his throne.  Out of ambition, YBS & his right hand agreed to be ET's "sacrificial snakes" (not lambs - they don't deserve it) in the hope that their ways of living will be better after their success in exchange of saving ET & his children's heads.

Back in episode 1, it's clearly known that this conspiracy is a total failure and maybe one of the contributing factors of ET's downfall is the betrayal of YBS (for ET & sons) & YW (for TS) considering she is one of the keys who knew Maha's mystery and the crimes involved in it.  What YBS & YW have could be used as their bargaining tools to save their lives and I look forward on this day,  the sooner, the better so we can all move on to the next level.

Guest adjani1430293095

I am not sure whether its a hostile per se, its more like a mother's worried and exasperated look, considering he is not taking the medicines. As for being upset, she surely would be because as emperor, he is the most important but he took a shot for his concubine! But I don't think she is angry per se with SY, she knows how much SY means to TH and how much she has helped them. Its probably more of out of concern that he is hurt and hurt because he was defending her. Akin to like "aigoo.. you silly boy, why did you take the shot for her!!! See now you are so gravely hurt! .. and Aigoo... why did you let him get hurt, he is the emperor, you know!! My Paeha!!" :) 
But she might eventually get the hint that SY is not all that simple either  then again.. neither is she :)  

pegster said: Did anyone else notice the look on ED's face when SN said she'd take care of TH?  That was not a pleasing look, I thought she looked hostile toward SN.
Even when DS was ordering to take SN away, ED didn't look alarmed or concerned, or tried to defend SN.  
Could it mean that ED is starting to realize how much TH is willing to sacrifice for SN and is starting to put up her guards toward SN?  Or is she just simply upset that TH is in this current state because of SN?

Are the writers be spinning the wheels to prepare for the next villain now?  Does this mean the ending for ET Clan is nearing?
There's quote from Sun Tzu's Art of War (the book that SN was studying in ep.24) - '知己知彼,百戰不殆'  (Zhī jǐ zhī bǐ, bǎi zhàn bù dài.) meaning "If you know both yourself and your enemy, you can win numerous (literally, "a hundred") battles without jeopardy." (found the translations from Wikipedia)
Now that they are more aware of ET's capabilities and resources, it'll be easier for them to plan out their plan of attack.  Hopefully the writers are smart enough to link these together, and make good use of TT/SN's knowledge of all these war manuals that they've studied.  Throughout the last few episodes they keep on throwing these quotes/tactics from the war manuals for SN and TT, they need to bring that further.

Guest adjani1430293095

I do think there is not enough time for BY to be set up as the next "enemy" unless the EL T clan goes down in the next 2 or 3 episodes.. since BY is so far the loyal one and its really odd to set him up so fast... especially if the writers are going in circles .... :P 
And yes if the rest of the drama is basically the same circling with the El T clan... it would really be very very slow..... but like I said.. there are loose ends, the merchant group, the maha crown prince and whose baby he is :P As well as TH's relationship with SY ... so I aint so sure, they will be able to write more stuff into the remaining episodes... and make it really work :)  
There are times where I wish they had the pacing of "You came from the Stars" (2 fun episodes of ... we are so in love.. and bad guy downed really quickly.. then again he is an alien) and its totally different genres... 
As @critics likes to say, we can hope and dream that they will hear our .. demands/pleas to move things along! 

pegster said: Did anyone else notice the look on ED's face when SN said she'd take care of TH?  That was not a pleasing look, I thought she looked hostile toward SN.
Even when DS was ordering to take SN away, ED didn't look alarmed or concerned, or tried to defend SN.  
Could it mean that ED is starting to realize how much TH is willing to sacrifice for SN and is starting to put up her guards toward SN?  Or is she just simply upset that TH is in this current state because of SN?

Are the writers be spinning the wheels to prepare for the next villain now?  Does this mean the ending for ET Clan is nearing?

Guest hallyurise

I'm watching the scene with the ED and SN now. I wouldn't call that a look of hostility, but ED definitely seemed taken aback at SN's offer to take care of TH. I think she's beginning to realise that SN is not going to be just any consort, but someone with TH's strong favour. However, shouldn't she always have known this? I mean, TH obviously favoured SN right from the start, when the concubines were chosen. ED herself chose to bestow a lot of power on SN by allowing her to stand in as Empress temporarily. 
If there was any foreshadowing though, I agree with @kdramaadt, it was when ED was laughing after SN told her about the poison. That was a moment when I strongly felt like ED might become, not necessarily a villain, but a rival for political power. 
I hope the show does not make ED a bad person - she may be hungry for power, but I never saw her as a potential villain like the ET clan. I did hope she was going to wrestle with SN for political power and influence, but not sure how that can be fleshed out. I''m scared it'll be repetitive too because they spent so many episodes on TN and SN going head to head already. Does history have anything on the ED? 
ETA: Just watched the last scene of Episode 34, and I assumed the ED was poker faced/smiling serenely because TN was talking to her when she ordered SN to be taken away (TN only turned to SN at the end of the order). Not too sure if it's supposed to mean anything else. :o

I thought one of the reason she is putting off sleeping with TH was because was no longer a virgin.

She has to tell him the truth first or he will find out on the night and even if he doesn't say anything, part of him would have feel let down.

I mean I like SN and all, but she went to bed with WY pretty easily while she's holding TH at arms length when she's married to him. I expect the longer she leaves it the harder it gets to tell TH the truth. Virginity is such a big deal back then that being a non-virgin was akin to treason.

Not to mention all the Korean's that helped her hide the fact.

There was an article about the premiere of 14 Days (it was the press conference),The title was if 14 days would be able to have good ratings against the Monster Empress Ki, the top comments were :

"Empress Ki is so much fun"
"Empress Ki.... these days... is so entertaining"
"Empress Ki is so addicting, i'm sorry Lee Bo Young-uniie, but i'll watch you in replay"
"Why with all the dramas airing, you have to be against Empress Ki!??! Lee Bo Young fighting"
"Oh i want to watch this drama so badly... but there is Empress Ki, how do i do???"

I think.. for SY, it doesn't matter if she'll stay as TH's consort or become an Empress as long as her ultimate goal to terminate El Temur and his clan is succesfully achieved. I've never seen her greedy for power (unlike Jang Ok Jung) and I know that she wouldn't mind if Empress Dowager (rankly, hierarchily, officially and in imperial position order) hold the Empress seal and in charge of the inner court.

For SY the Empress seat is what she deserves and what she gains with blood, sweat and sacrifice beyond imagination Not only because the Emperor's great love to her but for everything that she has done to him. SY is the perfect Empress for Ta Hwan.

Empress Dowager probably TH's step mom but she loves him like her own son and she's the only parent that TH still have.. I wish SY and ED stay in a mutual and loving mother in law daughter in law stage since SY respects her so much and ED needs her smart and sassiness to keep the palace in order..

If they still want to pursue the politic and power game between them both.. than I will be 41 when this drama ends...

@SeGafanlady Unfortunately as TT has predicted, we don't choose to betray but our circumstances do. Right now, they are on the same side, but when the ET clan is gone, all that power is up for grabs and vultures will descend, the strong will oppress the weak and the stronger will level everyone.

Currently SN is the weapon that everyone wields because she is fearless and has nothing to lose, this is quiet obvious for everyone with her all in attitude and her lack of self preservation, she's both a sword and a shield to the royals but once the ET clan is gone, what stops her from turning on them? ED has already realized this but for now, she has not done anything about it because she needs SN, but the moment ET is gone, SN would be her first opponent. She needs to install another empress that she can control and remove SN from power.

SN is not one to take 'unjust' lightly, especially when she feels she has the right to claim her prize, no matter if she wanted it or not. Give her the choice, she may not take the empress title but withhold the title then she'll fight tooth and nail for it. It's part of her character.

Guest serenity95x3

Speaking of the ED's potential greed...There was an interesting section of the dialogue between ED and TN in episode 32 that caught my attention:
ED: "All I see is you trying to use him." (referring to Maha)TN: "We're different in that regard. I just want to protect him."
Thus indicating TN's belief that ED is only using TH for her own selfish desire and we all know that desire could strongly be for power and control.