3 hours ago, corey said:

If this is really the exercise JH is doing 1000 times and you try to achieve that, I for one am definitely not doing this.

Firstly, what is the purpose of this exercise? Which muscles is he trying to develop? Is it abs? If abs, I know a much better way of doing abs exercise, without so much unnecessary strain on your back. He is also doing some weird leg movements - seems like he is moving his legs from side to side, twisting his spine? Is it deliberate? As my yoga teacher said, such exercises are ok when you are absolutely healthy, but in the long run they may prove to be not so healthy after all. I have a problem with my lumbar spine (hyperlordosis) so liting legs like that puts a lot of strain on my lumpar vertebreas - a big no no for me. Also, these two movements togeter, twisting and lifting legs is not "by the book". While twists are incredibly beneficial for the spine, it is best not to mix "body planes" while exercising.

Ok pls tell me what is the better exercise for abs without straining the back? I need to reduce some fats there, and his version certainly is bad for my back.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, corey said:

I will try to describe it as accurately as I can - I tried to find a youtube clip for that but I failed. It is a kind of modified sit-up.

Lie on the floor, knees bent, feet flat on the ground, as for a normal sit-up. Now, you need to "hug yourself", that is, grasp your shoulders with opposite hands , as tightly as you can. This way you relieve any tension in your neck and shoulders (usually, people also overstretch their necks while doing the standard sit-ups). Now lift you head and bring it close to your arms - you chin should be snugly placed in the crook of your bent elbows. Without moving your head or neck, try to bring your upper torso to your tighs - similar to doing normal sit-ups, however, the movement should not be very extensive, an inch or two only- you will definitely feel it in your "sixpack" ! In this wayit is only the abdominal muscles that are working - and your lumbar part of the spine should be tightly pressed to the ground, so it will not be strained.

Another abs exercise which does not strain your back: Lie flat on the ground, arms stretched to your sides. Now lift your legs so they are perpendicular to your torso. Preferably they should be strainght. Make sure your spine is firmly pressed to the ground, especially the sacrum. Now, slowly lower one leg (leg should be kept straight) , as much as you like, however, do not touch the ground. Hold as long as you like. Repeat with the other leg. The lower your leg goes, the harder the abs are working, so you can adjust this exercise to your actual streght. And of course, the longer you hold, the harder you work. Naturally, this is not so spectacular as doing 1000 leg lifts, ha ha, but after holding down one leg for more than 30 seconds I start to shake all over.

I haven't tried the 1st one, but your 2nd one is no joke! *Sweat* Thx for sharing! 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Saw this pic, and I guess it's from the "mom's diary" show, do you know it this is from a new episode or an old one? I tried to understand (posted below) something from the posts, but the translation is wonky... 

And in the second post there is this pic- is this about a competition or something? Is it a fan thing or connected to the production of The Swordsman? Can anyone make sense of this?

• Like 3

This contest is for Korea but what I find interesting is that, it’s about imitating Hyuk’s voice :P Jang Hyuk himself will listen to them. The winner will get a ticket for The Swordsman :)

https://www.facebook.com/1571397259805650/posts/2762821867329844/?d=n

https://www.instagram.com/p/CElpG6HHlwD/?igshid=oy2evsyiqo4o

@corey Thank you thank you thank you for the exercise descriptions :hooray2:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, corey said:

will try to describe it as accurately as I can - I tried to find a youtube clip for that but I failed. It is a kind of modified sit-up.

Thanks! Think I can do the first one!!At least more doable than Hyuk's..haha..

His warm-ups and stretching exercises alone are killing me!!:coolcat:

43 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

This contest is for Korea but what I find interesting is that, it’s about imitating Hyuk’s voice :P Jang Hyuk himself will listen to them. The winner will get a ticket for The Swordsman :)

So interesting! Hope Hyuk will show up on IG and say something...anything!! Even nothing..  just showing his face is fine.. :please:

This is funny!:joy: There's Hyuk squirrel ,Hyuk Meerkat  and Hyuk Panda in animal world..:lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

3 hours ago, corey said:

I will try to describe it as accurately as I can - I tried to find a youtube clip for that but I failed. It is a kind of modified sit-up.

Lie on the floor, knees bent, feet flat on the ground, as for a normal sit-up. Now, you need to "hug yourself", that is, grasp your shoulders with opposite hands , as tightly as you can. This way you relieve any tension in your neck and shoulders (usually, people also overstretch their necks while doing the standard sit-ups). Now lift you head and bring it close to your arms - you chin should be snugly placed in the crook of your bent elbows. Without moving your head or neck, try to bring your upper torso to your tighs - similar to doing normal sit-ups, however, the movement should not be very extensive, an inch or two only- you will definitely feel it in your "sixpack" ! In this wayit is only the abdominal muscles that are working - and your lumbar part of the spine should be tightly pressed to the ground, so it will not be strained.

Another abs exercise which does not strain your back: Lie flat on the ground, arms stretched to your sides. Now lift your legs so they are perpendicular to your torso. Preferably they should be strainght. Make sure your spine is firmly pressed to the ground, especially the sacrum. Now, slowly lower one leg (leg should be kept straight) , as much as you like, however, do not touch the ground. Hold as long as you like. Repeat with the other leg. The lower your leg goes, the harder the abs are working, so you can adjust this exercise to your actual streght. And of course, the longer you hold, the harder you work. Naturally, this is not so spectacular as doing 1000 leg lifts, ha ha, but after holding down one leg for more than 30 seconds I start to shake all over.

I can’t figure out the first one, how I bring my upper torso to my thigh without moving my head or neck? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Thanks! Think I can do the first one!!At least more doable than Hyuk's..haha..

His warm-ups and stretching exercises alone are killing me!!:coolcat:

So interesting! Hope Hyuk will show up on IG and say something...anything!! Even nothing..  just showing his face is fine.. :please:

This is funny!:joy: There's Hyuk squirrel ,Hyuk Meerkat  and Hyuk Panda in animal world..:lol:

Why doesn't he show his face?? :bawling:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 1

17 minutes ago, corey said:

And also, at the very end he tries to do what we sometimes do during yoga classes - my teacher calls this move "pistol" when you try to squat on one leg while keeping the other lifted perpendcualry to the floor - only we do it while holding the big toe of outstretched leg. He does not quite manage to do it, though, which is a relief for me, because I started to strongly suspect he is a superhuman like Bruce Lee.

I strongly suspect he can actually do it but acted like he can't because of his role as Doo Chil Sung. He is really superhuman.. i mean look at that Upavistha Conasana.:Woah:

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

I strongly suspect he can actually do it but acted like he can't because of his role as Doo Chil Sung. He is really superhuman.. i mean look at that Upavistha Conasana

Yes, that’s exactly what I was thinking. Chilsung is pretending to be human to make us laugh but JH is a beautiful super human :P I bet he can do it

To me one of the best examples of JHs amazing physical ability is from FTLY, those scenes of him exercising in the park with MiYoung and of course, Real Men

This is an MV I made of my favorite moments on Real Men (I just rewatched it after a long time and awww I loved that show!) 

Real Men - Hall of Fame

• Like 2
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

Yes, that’s exactly what I was thinking. Chilsung is pretending to be human to make us laugh but JH is a beautiful super human :P I bet he can do it

To me one of the best examples of JHs amazing physical ability is from FTLY, those scenes of him exercising in the park with MiYoung and of course, Real Men

This is an MV I made of my favorite moments on Real Men (I just rewatched it after a long time and awww I loved that show!) 

Real Men - Hall of Fame

Lol, so many great moments on that show.  You're making me relive the moments again.

Found how he still firm and sweet with maknae touching in these two videos.

1:25

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

On 9/1/2020 at 10:05 PM, phoenix24 said:

Lol, so many great moments on that show.  You're making me relive the moments again.

Found how he still firm and sweet with maknae touching in these two videos.

1:25

Wow thx for all the clips again!! :love:Though they are nth new, but this is a good start to a new day.  I am also of the opinion he can do that one leg squat and Chil sung failing in doing so was just a comedic effect for the drama. PHS is such a cute fan boy hehe.

Edited by Berou
Please don't quote videos
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, corey said:

Edit - @azureblue7, I just saw the JH workout challenge! it includes my favourite Upavistha Conasana from The Real Man - look at 0.38! OMG, how on earth can he do it! This other warm-up movements are pretty standard. I love the Tae-Kwondo moves!  And also, at the very end he tries to do what we sometimes do during yoga classes - my teacher calls this move "pistol" when you try to squat on one leg while keeping the other lifted perpendcualry to the floor - only we do it while holding the big toe of outstretched leg. He does not quite manage to do it, though, which is a relief for me, because I started to strongly suspect he is a superhuman like Bruce Lee.

Yea can definitely see the struggle is real.  Imagine JH training us. 2:56

tumblr_nbfbyuB7Ch1takspwo4_r1_250.giftumblr_nbfbyuB7Ch1takspwo1_250.gif

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, corey said:

Ok, so I was not detailed enough - what I mean you do not move your head or neck with respect to other parts of your body - of course your head and neck will be moving together with your torso - what I mean, there should be no additional movement of the neck (up and down) as your move your torso.

If you do standard sit-up with your fingers interlaced at the back of your head, you tend to pull your head and neck as you bend - we want to avoid this movement, so you just press your chin to your elbows and try not to move your head in addition to moving your upper body. Hope it is clear now :)

OK  I understand now, thanks so much! Will try it out tonight after work.

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1

19 hours ago, corey said:

As my yoga teacher said, such exercises are ok when you are absolutely healthy, but in the long run they may prove to be not so healthy after all. I have a problem with my lumbar spine (hyperlordosis) so liting legs like that puts a lot of strain on my lumpar vertebreas - a big no no for me. Also, these two movements togeter, twisting and lifting legs is not "by the book". While twists are incredibly beneficial for the spine, it is best not to mix "body planes" while exercising.

I also showed his exercise to a friend who was a gym instructor (now retired). She also said his leg lifting exercise is not good for the spine. She elabroated but as usual, after listening, I forget. Remember JH has backache problem? Could it be he's aggravating his spine by doing the exercises he does?

14 hours ago, corey said:

Any time, my dear, at your service :D. I am all for promoting healthy exercise.

You're our health instructor...hahaha! Told you right, I walk everyday. There's this old man I bumped into everyday while doing my walk, I guess he must be an athlete or someone very fit in his young days, he's still running while I'm brisk walking. He's easily 60 years old or older.

• Like 3

Now Opus Pictures FB and INS posted some pictures of JH when young, and also some of his previous works. But the captions say "Actor Jang Hyuk turns out to be a vampire! Both appearance and box office success aer consistent. Revealing vampire stories from childhood to The Swordsman!"

What's up with the vampire thingee ?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Now Opus Pictures FB and INS posted some pictures of JH when young, and also some of his previous works. But the captions say "Actor Jang Hyuk turns out to be a vampire! Both appearance and box office success aer consistent. Revealing vampire stories from childhood to The Swordsman!"

Maybe as in vampire doesn't age? I duno haha. 

Janghyuk_forever shared this super duper delicious photo. :Cornykiss:

Screenshot-20200902-112759.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Maybe it's a compliment that his look doesn't change?  I know some commented that OHJ does have vampire vibe or he does dark and mysterious well too.  Well at least we know not first time.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Sounds like the person in charge of the promotion of the movie is teenager who is essentially googling JH and whatever odd fan manipulation he is finding he is posting... Or maybe he was just introduced to photoshop? Why does anyone think that a competition in which people will be imitating JH, and manipulating his past projects' posters, is the appropriate way to promote a project that looks serious and intense?! And now a vampire?! What does that have to do with The Swordsman?! I think the vampire thing started, as @phoenix24 said, as a joke by fans due to JH's long haired look in TMWYS. I hope whoever in Opus that is coming up with things will be curbed! 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

@corey Yes, he was complaining about back pain in DB. He also has said that his past injuries sometimes hurt when it’s cold. Our super guy is human indeed and he is over 40 so pain is bound to happen, right?

I’m sure the vampire thing is a compliment. Saying he doesn’t age etc. And I suppose Opus doesn’t have a lot of budget for promotion so they are improvising. Maybe the community manager or social media person is an intern. 

• Like 4