25 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I really don’t see how him doing action scenes will improve the drama, what does that change? Imagine him saying the exact same lines he has been saying but standing, does that change anything at all? If the character is not fleshed out, his moving or not moving won’t make any difference. At least OHJ is not dumb, and nothing he has said has been pointless, unlike MJH who only yelled and talked nonsense all the time. To me, even if OHJ doesn’t do anything else ever, he’ll still be more watchable than stupid MJH (sorry but MJH really sucked in every possible way) OHJ being smart is the only reason I have a tiny bit of hope. If they made it that he pretended all this time, the character will be completely destroyed. Imagine the absurdity of faking even in privacy (not saying writers are not capable of doing that, my trust in them is zero, I just hope they don’’t) But I’ll shut up about this point now. I guess what we all agree on, this drama needs improvement. 

from ep 2 or so, the bottle of pills was shown and I had someone translate it as Diazepam (its the same as Valium) its used to treat different conditions, and its probably causing OHJ to be so “calm” almost dormant emotionally (other than well, he was already mostly a cerebral type of person). I’d be sleeping all day in that dark place too. It’s a wonder he manages to keep his brain so sharp. 

Of course, it's a matter of taste. You have every right to feel the way you do. My problem with JH's role in the first four episodes is that he is not really in the show! He is more like the narrator, or commentator. When I watch a show I expect the characters to interact, to develop relationships. This is what is interesting to me. And those basic things are missing when it comes to OHJ. The only relationships that we've seen with the older female cop and "Bang Gan" are cold and utilitarian. No banter, hardly any humor. A missed opportunity for an informative flashback was the case with the other profiler. It would have been great to get a glimpse of OHJ at his best, working with the team, investigating and humiliating that guy. But instead we were only told about what happened. This production I guess also didn't hear about the "show, don't tell" rule... So we still got nothing about OHJ's past, and about his present- even less. 

As to why do we want to see JH in action- do you really need ask? Seriously?! JH is a dynamic actor, many times I saw people say that he's at his best when he is in motion. So seeing him being so still makes me feel cheated. Would he solve the cases quicker if he was standing? probably not. But I really don't care about the cases. Clearly, like in Voice we're entering the filler stage of the show, so the cases will have very little meaning beyond the random tidbit they will reveal about "the guy". What I care about in a JH show- is JH's acting and the emotions he conveys

As to the drugs he's taking- JH said in the press conference that he was working very hard at being subdued. He spoke about OHJ being disconnected after the incident and about him going through a healing process as the show will go on, so I'm guessing very soon OHJ will awaken from his emotional "dormancy".

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Of course, it's a matter of taste. You have every right to feel the way you do. My problem with JH's role in the first four episodes is that he is not really in the show! He is more like the narrator, or commentator. When I watch a show I expect the characters to interact, to develop relationships. This is what is interesting to me. And those basic things are missing when it comes to OHJ. The only relationships that we've seen with the older female cop and "Bang Gan" are cold and utilitarian. No banter, hardly any humor. A missed opportunity for an informative flashback was the case with the other profiler. It would have been great to get a glimpse of OHJ at his best, working with the team, investigating and humiliating that guy. But instead we were only told about what happened. This production I guess also didn't hear about the "show, don't tell" rule... So we still got nothing about OHJ's past, and about his present- even less. 

As to why do we want to see JH in action- do you really need ask? Seriously?! JH is a dynamic actor, many times I saw people say that he's at his best when he is in motion. So seeing him being so still makes me feel cheated.

Ok, in this sense I totally agree with you. Maybe I anticipated this more ever since I read character descriptions. Since then I already feared OHJ was going to be isolated as a character, and yes, it worried me. My low expectations made me actually like him as he is better than I imagined him. I’m appreciating what JH is doing with his voice a lot. But I agree that at this point, he still feels like a good supporting character with the story currently revolving around Sooyoung (which I don’t mind too much) and the killer (this, I mind because he is not too exciting)  From the character descriptions I already felt Sooyoung was going to have a great advantage, because she would get to interact with most characters as opposed to him. What I didn’t expect is that I would like their interaction so much, and thats what keeps me “calm” and not as bored and frustrated I was with Voice, for example

Still, this doesn’t mean I’m satisfied. I want more OHJ. You make a good point that they missed an opportunity of showing his confrontation with the other prosecutor. Showing us “past” OHJ in his element would only make the drama better and more interesting. I’m curious to know in which ways this tragedy changed him. Also, the actor who played the rival prosecutor is so good at being arrogant and obnoxious! He is a great villain. Too bad they killed him off so fast. 

I agree that his interactions with tl Hwang are so dry, they've become stale, way too fast. I’m not loving Hwang. She “could” be a little more nuanced. But ok, I’m still waiting for some character development (despite my complete lack of trust on this team or anything related to Voice)

I’ve also being thinking of OCN. Why are people so in love with their dramas? I remember way back when, my first exposure to them was Bad Guys and I remember liking it a lot! But then my next one was Voice and it was a disappointment to say the least. I wonder if my memory of Bad Guys is just idealized because its one of the first crime k-dramas I watched or was Jang Hyuk really unlucky that he got to work in one of their worse? (although successful one) 

As to the drugs he's taking- JH said in the press conference that he was working very hard at being subdued. He spoke about OHJ being disconnected after the incident and about him going through a healing process as the show will go on, so I'm guessing very soon OHJ will awaken from his emotional "dormancy".

Yes, Im hoping for him to “awaken” emotionally 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Yes, I am disappointed that he doesn't have as many scenes, and the conversations are very dry. That's my problem with the writers.

I only hope it's not throughout the entire drama OHJ is in that room. But if he's crippled & blind, what can he do outside the room? I feel is because audience don't understand the extent of his pain & why he confines himself. Maybe if we're given insight to his life before this explosion might help.

- His relationship with Isu

- His relationship with the killer (surely there is a feud between them to cause him want to kill OHJ and Isu)

However, I do want to say that I guess I trust that there is more to the role than this which made JH choose it, unless he didn't know that the writers never intended to give the depth he hoped for to the character. Afterall, he's only human and this may have been his blindspot just like how he had the blindspot with the character in Voice. He may have his reasons an intrigue when he decided to do the role, and sometimes it comes out very differently in its fully formed product i.e. the drama. 

To us it may be a blindspot but to JH, it may not be a blindspot. His views & ours are slightly different in the sense that he's an actor. He is on the other side of the line & we the audience on this side of the line.

He sees things on acting point of view, we see things on audience point of view.

Everyone has their views & all views are correct. No one has a wrong view. Is just how everyone sees things differently.

So long as JH is happy acting it, is most important.

casual viewers won't stick on for that. And it always makes me feel kinda sad knowing that his talents are not being appreciated by the general public in its fullest potential due to script and drama limitations.  

I think k audience still like those romance romance genre. This sort of genre or BM genre, not the majority of the audience will like it. Frankly, if I am just a casual viewer, I would stop at ep 1. It didn't have the umph to draw me to ep 2.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@budgerie The only umph I ever feel is Jang Hyuk himself! :lol: I’m so shallow and he is so sexy to me these days. 

No, you're not shallow. I too feel he looks better with age. But I don't like him thin. I like him like Pil Joo size. Btw, is it camera trick or what? Why is it that in Pil Joo, he looked tall? In most drama he's not the tallest but in Pil Joo, he looked tall.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

22 minutes ago, budgerie said:

No, you're not shallow. I too feel he looks better with age. But I don't like him thin. I like him like Pil Joo size. Btw, is it camera trick or what? Why is it that in Pil Joo, he looked tall? In most drama he's not the tallest but in Pil Joo, he looked tall.

Possibly camera trick, that PD is like his fangirl and made him look his BEST! She treated his beauty with respect! Like we would! Lol! 

Speaking of beauty, new Westwood pics (I want to scream but I’m in the office so, biting my hand instead) 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if I can paste links to another website here but this specific drama review site has a lot of people frequenting to give drama reviews and comments! 

do sign up and vote for the show’s rating. Some international audiences would start a show base on the ratings alone (I know I’m one of them sometimes) especially when there is a plethora of shows to choose from. A higher rating increases the chances of ppl starting the show. 

https://mydramalist.com/39017-call-it-like-you-see-it

Interestingly, a lot of the comments have been very positive. I was fairly surprised because comments on that site can sometimes be very unforgiving. Gives us a feel is how others are feeling in general about the show. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

6 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@budgerie The only umph I ever feel is Jang Hyuk himself! :lol: I’m so shallow and he is so sexy to me these days. 

haha! I feel the same too.. I mean take a look at him.. especially with that hair and his  voice in the drama..:wub:

IMG-20200211-141210-847.jpg

Ok ok.. back to the drama. I think I will lower my expectations and enjoy the drama more. Give it a few more eps  and I think I'll see why Hyuk said he likes the script.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

5 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Speaking of beauty, new Westwood pics (I want to scream but I’m in the office so, biting my hand instead) 

hmmm... am I the only one who really don't like the way the pants in these pics look? I love JH's look, and the hair is perfect, but these pants... their color scheme and shape, doesn't look good. Maybe it's because JH is so thin :)

4 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Interestingly, a lot of the comments have been very positive. I was fairly surprised because comments on that site can sometimes be very unforgiving. Gives us a feel is how others are feeling in general about the show. 

This corresponds with the absolute majority of comments I'm seeing on twitter about the show. Most of them love the show and are really impressed with JH. I think you are right, we are a bit tougher on the show, than the regular viewer, maybe because we know what JH can really do... :)

After watching the 4th episode, I actually do see a difference in the way the emotional aspect is being treated. For now it's centered around the girl, but it's much more than we got in Voice. I liked her meeting with her friend, I liked and was surprised by the memory in which we were told that she actually is a bit slower than most people. I don't think I've ever seen a lead character in such a show that we are told is not smart. That is a very nice twist, and it makes me forgive some of the things I saw her do in the ep.3, that made me think- "god, this girl is dumb!", like when she didn't turn off the flashlight in the killer's apartment, even though OHJ told her there was someone there with her. The problem is- considering that, they need to know she can't continue to be sent to forefront like that. She is bound to mess up. But the way the show handled her, makes me hope that soon we'll get a similar treatment for OHJ, for whom we are getting only hints for now. Going back to LYO from BM, OHJ injecting himself and taking those pills reminds me of how LYO was also doing that to control his impulses. And remember, by the fourth episode of BM, we didn't get to see much of the real LYO either, so I'm willing to wait a bit more :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

Ok ok.. back to the drama. I think I will lower my expectations and enjoy the drama more. Give it a few more eps  and I think I'll see why Hyuk said he likes the script.

Hahaha! Actually just enjoy the drama as it is & continue to rant about the no logic, the this & the that here. JH had put in much effort to film this (he came straight from MC without rest), surely he finds this project is worth his time & energy that's why he took it up.

But whether anyone will like the drama or not, is very individual. Just like some of us enjoyed Chuno, there are also some others who didn't.

For me, up to this point of time, am enjoying the drama (in general) but not OHJ as a solo character. But I like to see him with SY & hope we'll get to see this more in the coming episodes.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Hahaha! Actually just enjoy the drama as it is & continue to rant about the no logic, the this & the that here. JH had put in much effort to film this (he came straight from MC without rest), surely he finds this project is worth his time & energy that's why he took it up.

But whether anyone will like the drama or not, is very individual. Just like some of us enjoyed Chuno, there are also some others who didn't.

For me, up to this point of time, am enjoying the drama (in general) but not OHJ as a solo character. But I like to see him with SY & hope we'll get to see this more in the coming episodes.

Yes, I think I need to take off my "Jang Hyuk fan" lens and I will enjoy it more..Lol! Guess just want to see more of him.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

11 hours ago, budgerie said:

To us it may be a blindspot but to JH, it may not be a blindspot. His views & ours are slightly different in the sense that he's an actor. He is on the other side of the line & we the audience on this side of the line.

He sees things on acting point of view, we see things on audience point of view.

Thank you @budgerie for pointing out a very crucial point. And I think this was my blind spot. Forgetting that JH sees things from an actor point of view and he has many reasons why he chooses to do something, not reasons that may be immediately known to us. For us, apart from the quality of the role, we can about the plot logic, the ratings, the screen time etc. but to him, he may care about a unique experience or character that he may never have played before, he may care about challenging himself, he may care about playing roles that intrigue him, all of which are reasons that we may not know. 

But really, at the end of the day he is still human and whatever he chooses may not be a hit nor always satisfies his fans or general audience. But I guess that’s also the beauty of JH, he is willing to try and do something different, he doesn’t stick to a success formula just because it guarantees success. There are many actors who may only take up a role if the writers and directors are famous and have a strong track record, but as with Money Flower, we’ve seen that JH doesn’t belittle anyone, in fact he journeys with them through thick and thin like the MF Director - that was why she was so grateful towards him and they hit jackpot with the show. But even if they had failed, he said it’s okay, as they will fail together. 

Haha now after typing all these I’m thinking I should complain a little less about OHJ‘s characterization and TMYWS. In fact, be reminded and grateful that he totally blew us away with his majestic Bang Won performance just last project. :lol: I guess we all need these reminders every now and then about how much great stuff JH has done and sweat the petty stuff less! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@AgnesO I understand your frustration but I want to clarify my personal opinion

I already LOVE OHJ 10000x more than I loved many of his other characters. I don’t agree with the statement, why cast him? Because he is doing already so much with this role despite its limitations. How many actors do you know that would be able to do that? I don’t even need him to change clothes (LYO never changed clothes, clothes make no difference) or to be outside to be mesmerized by him. 

My issue and my ONLY issue is he has not had enough scenes and we know very little about him. I don’t need him to “do” anything other than profiling but get us to know him better. Look at MJH in Voice, he “did” a lot of things, in fact he never stopped “doing” things yet he was so boring. OHJ “faking” as many suggested and getting up would not improve him as a character, it would ruin him because it would be so contrived. What needs to happen is for the character to get more fleshed out through each episode, case and interaction with SY so that we get to know him and feel for him (I already do but thats because JH is great and being exquisitely nuanced here) but he needs to get fleshed out within his constraints, or are we suggesting that just because a person is disabled it means they are automatically uninteresting? That makes no sense. The problem here is he is barely having any scenes imo. 

I understand where you're coming from.  By saying 'then why cast him', I'm hoping and anticipating not only more scenes of him (he's afterall the LEAD), but also more exposure and depth for his character.  So far, I'm only seeing this in SY, and I'm really frustrated.  

I'm with you about his disability.  I'm not hoping it is a fake.  In fact, I'll be turn off too if they lie about his disability.  But I want surprises about what he can do despite his disability.  Knowing he's blind and disabled has make me excited about his role in this drama, but I definitely do not want him to be closed up in the room with his headphone and listening and giving instructions only throughout the show.  I want more dimensions to his character. And more bonding between him and SY.  I felt this bonding, until now, has been interrupted by so many people.  I just want him and SY  to have more close interaction between them, to the point where they're inseparable.  And hoping SY would be the one to bring him out of his shell.  

Do you gals think all these will happen? Plssss...

• Like 4

Jang Hyuk, OCN specialization + genre no.1 actor… A master of action + eyes acting 

In the original OCN drama ‘Tell Me What You Saw’, Jang Hyuk plays Oh Hyun-jae, a genius profiler who disappeared from the world after losing his fiancée in an explosion caused by a serial killer. In the scene that had been constantly haunting Hyun-jae though it happened a long time ago, Jang Hyuk showed off the acclaimed Jang Hyuk’s brand of action, leaving viewers with deep impressions. In the behind the scene photos released, not only was he seen handling a gun and hanging on wires, his focus on acting amid the fire around him increased viewers’ excitement. 

In contrast, he is now living alone and relying on a wheelchair after the explosion, which is a far cry from the confident and proud person five years ago. In addition to his outward appearance, Jang Hyuk’s delicate eyes and facial expressions made his character even more convincing, while conveying his inner feelings and increasing the immersion of the drama.

Meanwhile, in the episodes aired last week, the serial killer "The Guy" murdered Jeong Chan-goo (Kim Seo-ha), and even killed a profiler during a live broadcast, shocking viewers.

At this time, the genius profiler’s sharp analysis of concentration and quickness, though hidden, is leading the drama with a quiet but intense authority. Not only does it add more fun, it is also raising  expectations for its future development.

The original OCN drama, starring Jang Hyuk, who proved himself to be the no.1 actor of the genre from action to eyes acting, airs every Saturday and Sunday at 10:50 p.m.

202002101109775974_5e40bc043463c.jpg

http://osen.mt.co.kr/article/G1111306786

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@AgnesO About your last question, I hope they focus more on his past, psychology and development in the next episodes, like they have done with Sooyoung, but I don’t necessarily trust this production a lot, so I’d keep expectations low. We can only trust Jang Hyuk will try to “show us” OHJ emotional journey as much as he can. 

Why isn't OHJ in this hairstyle :love:

Because he is abandoned and his hair is probably dirty 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, budgerie said:

Don't we always do that?  We'll rant here and there, complaint this and that, but we'll  stick around, like in WOL.  Or like in MC, rant first and praise later.  Hopefully TMWYS will be like the latter...

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

2 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

Yes, I think I need to take off my "Jang Hyuk fan" lens and I will enjoy it more..Lol! Guess just want to see more of him.

I have a feeling we will. Didn't we read (somewhere) that there will be healing? I take it healing for SY as well as for OHJ. I guess we will see the 2 of them have more personal interaction, not necessarily love (being OCN) but a deeper friendship maybe. Let's just hope it doesn't happen after ep 10. That's a long wait.

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

we can about the plot logic, the ratings, the screen time etc. but to him, he may care about a unique experience or character that he may never have played before, he may care about challenging himself, he may care about playing roles that intrigue him, all of which are reasons that we may not know. 

I think me sometimes can't enjoy a drama because I carry excess baggage with me. I worry the ratings may not be as good. I rant about the no logic of the plot. I grumble about his lack of screen time. But actually all JH want is for us his fans to enjoy the drama that he had worked so hard for. Hahaha! It's so hard to please us.

But really, at the end of the day he is still human and whatever he chooses may not be a hit nor always satisfies his fans or general audience. But I guess that’s also the beauty of JH, he is willing to try and do something different, he doesn’t stick to a success formula just because it guarantees success. There are many actors who may only take up a role if the writers and directors are famous and have a strong track record,

JH is a true actor & not a celebrity. I came across this : Actor knows only acting, celebrity knows everything except acting. I thought this applies to JH.

Haha now after typing all these I’m thinking I should complain a little less about OHJ‘s characterization and TMYWS. In fact, be reminded and grateful that he totally blew us away with his majestic Bang Won performance just last project. :lol: I guess we all need these reminders every now and then about how much great stuff JH has done and sweat the petty stuff less! 

No no, don't stop ranting. I think is fine to rant about the plot - how no logic it can be or how ridiculous it is (because that's not JH department) :DLol...

• Like 4