22 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Lee Tae sounds a lot like he is inspired by Lee Bangwon to me. How many times have we seen a “son of the king who started a new dinasty” in korean history? Not that many. Interestingly Jang Hyuk played two, Wang So from Goryeo and Lee Bangwon from Joseon. They both ended up being absolutists and “bloody” kings (in history) but this doesn’t mean that Lee Tae won’t be a protagonist. Just maybe an anti-heroic/controversial one. 

Park Gye Won sounds very much like a Jeong Du Jeon/ Sambong like character. He was a scholar, an intelectual. In dramas JDJ is portrayed mostly as “righteous” in general but also anti-heroic at times. He had an agenda and was not shy to plot murder in order to achieve his goals. While I hope you are right that Park Gye Won may have action scenes there is also the possibility that he won’t, if his “king maker” job was mostly political and intelectual (like the case of JDJ) 

Well, we are getting scenes with the younger version of Lee Joon, so hopefully those scenes will involve JH before he became a politician. Besides, why hire JH and not give him fight scenes?! The only reason should be that he will get to do some serious acting... Actually, the only shows that I can think of that JH DIDN'T have fight scenes in were BM and maybe The merchant, right? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Again, strangely, the king Lee Tae sounds like the antagonist here..

Actually along, Lee Tae's character has sounded like an antagonist to me. Hence I keep wondering why a historical drama has an antagonist as the lead role. But the recent KBS schedule put JH's name in front, so it is a bit confusing now. But never mind, whatever the case, we still got to watch it anyway haha... so no need to think too much.

• Like 3

@Prettysup but many shows have “bad people” as protagonists. It’s not something new imo. Like I said, Bangwon would be an example, in dramas like Six flying dragons or Tears of the Dragon, he is the protagonist and he is not “heroic”. The Slave Hunters were not “good guys”. At least definitely not if you only read their character descriptions. Another more radical example, a series about the life of Hitler would definitely have an evil guy as a protagonist. A protagonist is the main character, not always a “good” or heroic person. 

• Like 3

Jang Hyuk appeared as a special MC for "Many Chatter", aftermath of Yoo Hee Yeol's COVID-19.

Actor Jang Hyuk joined as a special MC for "Many Chatter."

In JTBC's "Many Chatter," which airs on January 7, MC Cha Tae-hyun and special chat mate Jang Hyuk will have a chat with models. Four models participated in the event, including three Korean models Shin Hyun-ji, Sumin, Park Tae-min, and Choi Hyun-joon, a new model from KAIST, who ranked in the world's top 50 by selecting the global model ranking site Model's Dotcom.

In the recent recording of a number of chatter, MC Cha Tae-hyun's Dragon Year club best friend Jang Hyuk was invited as a chatter mate on behalf of the vacancy of Yoo Hee-yeol, who was tested positive for COVID-19 earlier. Jang Hyuk, who came immediately after hearing from Cha Tae-hyun, showed off his friendship with Cha Tae-hyun, saying, "If my friends call me, I will go anywhere," and Cha Tae-hyun replied, "In fact, I was thinking about calling (Kim) Jong-guk or you." In response, Jang Hyuk revealed the characteristic of a chatterbox, saying, "I'm the one in this kind of place."

When the full-fledged chat began, Jang Hyuk actively participated in chatting with the model, talking about his history of appearing in a drama called Model in 1997. Shin Hyun-ji, a model who is entering her 10th year since her debut this year, said, "In the past, there was an infusion education system that told her the arm angle when walking, but now I prefer to walk freely because the walking trend has changed." Jang Hyuk said, "The same goes for acting. In the past, there was a separate thing called acting as the main character," he said, drawing laughter by showing acting as the main character crossing the past and the present.

Meanwhile, the extraordinary grievances hidden behind the splendid appearance of top models traveling around the world will also be revealed. Model Shin Hyun-ji drew regret by telling an anecdote that she lost 13 kilograms in two months because she could not eat anything due to panic disorder she experienced during overseas activities. In response, model Choi Hyun-joon shocked all by saying, "I'm like that right now," and that she was told to quit modeling at the hospital just a while ago. Accordingly, it is rumored that Jang Hyuk and Cha Tae-hyun also shared the moments of panic disorder they experienced themselves and spared no sympathy and advice.

It airs at 9 p.m. on the 7th Jan.

202201061059248010_51.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Saw this article on JH published in Dec last year

8 Jang Hyuk K-Dramas You Should Stream Right Now

With a career spanning more than 20 years, Jang Hyuk continues to prove his mettle as an actor on the small screen. He’s been starring in K-dramas since 1997, showing off his versatility in different genres from romantic comedies to historical dramas to thrillers. As he turns 45 (Korean age) this December 20, we look back at some of our fave Jang Hyuk dramas. What are yours?

1. Successful Story Of A Bright Girl (2002)

Who else is in it: Jang Na Ra, Han Eun Jung, Ryu Soo Young

If you’re an OG K-drama fan, then you’ve probably watched this drama while it was airing on GMA-7 back in the early ‘00s. We’ll never forget the iconic scene where haughty businessman Gi Tae (Hyuk) drops into country girl Yang Soon’s (Na Ra) bathtub with his parachute. The two leads hate each other at first, but their relationship eventually evolves into something more. Jang Hyuk and Jang Na Ra had such great chemistry on the show that they reunited on another project years later.

2. The Slave Hunters (2010)

Who else is in it: Oh Ji Ho, Lee Da Hae, Gong Hyung Jin, Lee Jong Hyuk

Hyuk won the Daesang (aka Grand Prize or the highest distinction you can get at an awards ceremony) for his role as Lee Dae Gil in this period drama set in the Joseon dynasty. He even got nominated for an International Emmy Award for Best Actor. In the story, a series of unfortunate events happens to nobleman Dae Gil after he falls for Un Nyun (Da Hae), the sister of their slave. He ends up alone and penniless, and he becomes a slave hunter on a mission to get revenge. Meanwhile, Un Nyun becomes a noble, catching the eye of Tae Ha (Ji Ho), a military general who becomes a slave Dae Gil must hunt down.

3. Deep Rooted Tree (2011)

Who else is in it: Han Su Kyu, Shin Se Kyung

This historical mystery romance revolves around the creation of the Korean alphabet, Hangul, and how its use was spread to commoners. It tells the story of King Sejong (Su Kyu) who ends up causing the death of his in-laws and their slaves after failing to go against his tyrannical father, King Taejong. Slave Ddol Bok (Hyuk) thinks his friend, Dam (Se Kyung), is dead. As the only survivor, he vows to get revenge on King Sejong, eventually becoming a royal inspector so that he can kill him. But as he investigates, he realizes there’s something more sinister happening behind the scenes. Bonus: You get to see some familiar faces playing the young versions of our leads: Song Joong Ki, Yeo Jin Goo, and Kim Hyun Soo.  

4. You Are My Destiny (2014)

Who else is in it: Jang Na Ra, Choi Jin Hyuk, Wang Ji Won

Jang Hyuk and Jang Nara reunite in this rom-com, a remake of the highly popular Taiwanese drama Fated to Love You. In it, ordinary office worker Mi Young (Na Ra) gets abused by her co-workers who call her “Post-It.” She meets arrogant chaebol Lee Gun (Hyuk) one night, and through an unlikely chain of events, they end up sleeping together. Mi Young has no plans of ever seeing him again—until she realizes she’s pregnant. Can she and Gun have an actual relationship, or is this just a trainwreck waiting to happen?

5. Voice (2017)

Who else is in it: Lee Ha Na, Baek Sung Hyun, Super Junior's Yesung, Son Eun Seo

This crime thriller from OCN had such high ratings that it spawned multiple seasons, including a fourth season that just aired this year. Hyuk appears in season 1 playing Moo Jin Hyuk, a detective whose life changes when his wife gets murdered. He meets his match in Kang Kwon Joo (Ha Na), a policewoman whose father also got murdered. She has unique psycho-acoustic talent that makes her perfect for doing voice profiling. The two of them form the backbone of the Golden Time team, tasked to solve crimes as fast as possible, while doing some investigating of their own to get justice for their slain family members.

6. Money Flower (2017)

Who else is in it: Park Se Young, Jang Seung Jo, Lee Mi Sook, Lee Soon Jae, Han So Hee

Jang Hyuk got nominated for another Grand Prize award for his role as Kang Pil Joo in this drama. In this tale of greed, everyone knows Pil Joo as Chungah Group’s prized employee and servant, aiding heir Jang Boo Cheon (Seung Jo) in his quest to inherit the company. But what they don’t know is that he’s keeping his real identity hidden because he’s actually here to take revenge. He wants Boo Cheon to fall for teacher Na Mo Hyun (Se Young), but he throws a wrench into his own plans by falling for her instead. Bonus: My Name’s Han So Hee is also in the cast.

7. Wok Of Love (2018)

Who else is in it: 2PM's Lee Jun Ho, Jung Ryeo Won

This rom-com has such a wacky premise we can’t help falling in love with it! Jang Hyuk plays Doo Chil Sung, a reformed gangster who now runs Chinese resto Hungry Wok with his gang members from the Big Dipper. When top chef Seo Poong (Jun Ho) gets fired from his job at a six-star hotel restaurant, he somehow ends up co-owning Hungry Wok. Chaebol heiress Dan Sae Woo (Ryeo Won) also joins the crew after going bankrupt.

8. Tell Me What You Saw (2020)

Who else is in it: SNSD's Sooyoung, Jin Seo Yeon, Jang Hyun Sung, Ryu Seong Soo

Hyuk returns to the crime thriller genre with this OCN drama where he plays genius profiler Oh Hyun Jae. When his fiancée ends up dead while he’s on the trail of a serial killer, he disappears from the police force. But when a new murder with the same modus operandi as the serial killer surfaces five years later, Hyun Jae is back on the case. Hwang Ha Young (Seo Yeon) from the Regional Investigation Unit introduces him to Cha Soo Young (Soo Young), a detective with a photographic memory, and together, they start investigating the serial killer.

https://www.cosmo.ph/entertainment/jang-hyuk-k-dramas-a1163-20211219-lfrm

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

The title of the clip here is "'Park Tae-min, Su-min, Shin Hyun-ji, Choi Hyun-joon' models' common names! Jang Hyuk keeps interrupting :D A lot of chatter (dasuda) Episode 8 | JTBC 220107 broadcast"

I think they were supposed to just introduce themselves and JH kept commenting. Our sweet exuberant unicorn!

:sipsboba:

• Like 1

Soompi Forums Awards: The best k-dramas of 2021? Please vote!

Now is your chance to show your love for your favorite dramas of 2021. In the Soompi Forums Awards poll you can vote for the dramas you liked the most last year. :kiss_wink:

Which dramas will be the winners?

winner-icegif-9.gif

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @confusedheart @agenth @Sleepy Owl

Joe Taslim posted this excerpt from Looper: https://www.instagram.com/p/CYsZanMJSdQ/

https://www.looper.com/732528/the-best-action-movie-scenes-you-missed-in-2021/

The Swordsman - Jang Hyuk vs. Joe Taslim
Opus Pictures
One of the biggest and best onscreen rivalries of 2021 comes from "The Swordsman," a South Korean period action drama starring Jang Hyuk and Joe Taslim. This movie is a go-to if you're a sucker for Samurai movies and precise sword combat, led by strong performances from its two experienced stars: Jang Hyuk is an actor and musician who has been appearing on South Korean TV and movies for almost two decades now, and you might recognize Joe Taslim from this year's "Mortal Kombat," where he took up the mask as Sub Zero.

Seeing these two stars of Korean cinema face off in a dramatic sword fight at the end of "The Swordsman" is all you've been waiting for the whole movie. It's right there in the name! All of the martial arts action that runs through the entirety of the film is at its peak in this climactic battle.

jang hyuk looking up

• Like 3