@Biology Lesson Oh, that poor drama though! I was just reading about it but for other reasons. This drama is stirring controversy in Korea, because it featured some "historical inaccuracies" and specifically something related to China, in today's context with the tensions between China and Korea (apparently China claimed Kimchee and hanbok as their own recently) there is a lot of discontent and scrutiny around anything that relates to China (and apparently viceversa). Im not going to dwell on it because its kind of a heavy subject and I'm really ignorant about it but it looks like the tensions between the countries won't cease anytime soon. Anyway, with that said, I am so relieved that JH is in no way involved with this drama. 

You can read more about it here and there is one very informative comment in the comments section (first link), if you are curious

https://www.soompi.com/article/1460841wpp/joseon-exorcist-sees-drop-in-ratings-after-controversy-over-historical-accuracy

https://www.soompi.com/article/1460917wpp/joseon-exorcist-apologizes-for-controversy-over-historical-inaccuracies-to-take-1-week-break

Regardless of this situation, I also wouldn't have wanted JH in a drama featuring Bangwon (King Taejong) fighting zombies. That would've been almost shocking and disappointing! Despite My Country having so many flaws, his Bangwon was so magnificent, he shouldn't be touched! I wouldn't mind him reprising the role though, if it is for Netflix or a movie, with a good writer and director. Maybe as a sorta continuation to My Country's version, playing him as King and featuring his wife, who was an interesting strong and smart woman. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

@Biology Lesson I have read about it and it seems like a major uproar and JH dodged a big time bullet with that one and I would even say he dodged something bigger then a bullet but a train. I feel sort of sorry for the actors involved who get caught in between the firestorm. Controversy gates of this magnitude are hazardous for careers.

I recently watched the swordsman I liked both JH and Joe Taslim and last year I catched tell me what you saw. I wanna touch little bit on tell me what you saw it had potential imho and was good series. Jin Seo-Yeon is underrated actress. There was potential to explore more the love-line between JH's character and Jin Seo-Yeon character and yes there was some love-interest between them as she was into him and had a crush on him but as I guy myself I surprisingly found myself being increasingly attracted to Jin Seo-Yeon I thought she looked fiercer and mighty fine. I probably would! I was envying why JH's character really didn't puruse her and smash that:joy: 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

@Wis dom Welcome! I too feel sorry for everyone involved in that drama. So much work will go to waste now that they are planning to “fix” it. 

About TMWYS lol! Its interesting to have a male perspective. That drama did many things well but also wasted so much of its potential. I agree. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Oh, that poor drama though! I was just reading about it but for other reasons. This drama is stirring controversy in Korea, because it featured some "historical inaccuracies" and specifically something related to China, in today's context with the tensions between China and Korea (apparently China claimed Kimchee and hanbok as their own recently) there is a lot of discontent and scrutiny around anything that relates to China (and apparently viceversa). Im not going to dwell on it because its kind of a heavy subject and I'm really ignorant about it but it looks like the tensions between the countries won't cease anytime soon. Anyway, with that said, I am so relieved that JH is in no way involved with this drama. 

You can read more about it here and there is one very informative comment in the comments section (first link), if you are curious

https://www.soompi.com/article/1460841wpp/joseon-exorcist-sees-drop-in-ratings-after-controversy-over-historical-accuracy

https://www.soompi.com/article/1460917wpp/joseon-exorcist-apologizes-for-controversy-over-historical-inaccuracies-to-take-1-week-break

Oh! I didn't know about this controversy... I actually have wondered about the extent to which China AND Japan have influenced Korea. I don't know much about Korea's history except for what I saw in Kdramas. I wonder where this situation is leading... Hope nothing bad and that it will stick to fighting over who invented what :) 

@dramafan33 thanks for the info. 

Regardless of this situation, I also wouldn't have wanted JH in a drama featuring Bangwon (King Taejong) fighting zombies. That would've been almost shocking and disappointing! Despite My Country having so many flaws, his Bangwon was so magnificent, he shouldn't be touched!

I agree. The subject matter sounds silly, and JH's Bang won was too magnificent for that. But I do wonder if he was approached...

I wouldn't mind him reprising the role though, if it is for Netflix or a movie, with a good writer and director. Maybe as a sorta continuation to My Country's version, playing him as King and featuring his wife, who was an interesting strong and smart woman. 

Oooo! This sounds a great idea- telling the story of Bang Won and his wife! In the little that read about her she sounds like someone really interesting. Also, I have wondered- if I remember correctly, many of his concubines and other women were actually from her retinue, so I kinda wondered- did she arrange them? :blink: 

@Wis dom I would like to welcome you too! A male's perspective is always welcomed! as to TMWYS, as @dramafan33 said, I also thought that it had a lot of wasted potential. The fascinating thing was that even the producer admitted the show wasn't all it could be, and he expressed regret for not being able to help JH realize his vision!

I actually did like Jin Seo-Yeon's character, but I never thought there should be a romantic connection between them, especially not since OHJ hasn't gotten over the death of his fiancé yet. He was still in mourning, so I don't think he was emotionally available for anything romantic. One of the missed opportunities for me of the show was that they didn't actually show why OHJ fell in love with his fiancé in the first place, being the complex character that he was. They didn't delve enough into that past of his... 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I don't know if I want him to be in this show, also I'm not sure he'd even want to portray him again, especially in this kind of setup, but I do wonder if they even consider offering in to JH... I guess it annoys me to see anyone but JH portray this character

Sorry am slow, I don't get you. In what kind of setup?

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Maybe as a sorta continuation to My Country's version, playing him as King and featuring his wife, who was an interesting strong and smart woman.

In both BW that he played, his wife didn't exist. Hahaha! In history, she was smart/ambitious (political ambitious) who assisted BW to ascend the throne. But we had none of these in EOL & in MC.

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

One of the missed opportunities for me of the show was that they didn't actually show why OHJ fell in love with his fiancé in the first place, being the complex character that he was. They didn't delve enough into that past of his... 

And if you remember the 1 scene which they had, she lying down on the sofa when he came home, he was not "lovey dovey" as a young couple would. I thought he was polite but distant.

@Wis domWelcome! Have fun with all of us here!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

I meant the premise of the show, that sounds silly to me- "Joseon Exorcist" is a horror show, I just found the synopsis:

In the late Fourteenth Century, King Taejong (Kam Woo Sung) has overthrown the Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392) and taken control of what is now the kingdom of Joseon (the Korean peninsula).

However, few know that his coup involved a deal with an evil spirit with the power to possess humans – and spread a wave of flesh-eating evil minions out into the world to terrorize the mortal world.

Now that evil force threatens to break loose once more – and turn the kingdom into a wasteland.

The king’s two sons may be all that stands in the malevolent powers’ way. The high-minded Prince Chungnyung (Jang Dong Yoon) is an ivory-tower academic, while his younger brother Prince Yangnyeong (Park Sung Hoon) has designs on inheriting his father’s throne.

The terrors of the evil spirit and its cohorts spark Chungnyung into action, as he resolves to save the nation from impending doom. But his younger sibling spies an opportunity to usurp his bother – and seize power for himself...

“Joseon Exorcist” is a 2021 South Korean Viki Original drama series that was directed by Shin Kyung Soo.

In both BW that he played, his wife didn't exist. Hahaha! In history, she was smart/ambitious (political ambitious) who assisted BW to ascend the throne. But we had none of these in EOL & in MC.

You are right! She wasn't mentioned in both production! Also, in both the leads were fictional characters... So instead of focusing on the super interesting real story, the production made up a fictional story, with fictional characters that were so much less interesting... So annoying! I wish someone would think about our idea and finally cast JH as Bang Won for the lead and give us the story of their relationship...

And if you remember the 1 scene which they had, she lying down on the sofa when he came home, he was not "lovey dovey" as a young couple would. I thought he was polite but distant.

Right... I was so disappointed that that was the only scene we got with her... I had so many hopes for that show... 

the preview for JH's new variety show is out... Listen to JH soft voice.... I have no idea what was going on here, But again, I hope this whole show will not be JH doing what he's being told, but actually learn how to cook-

Also, it looks like another sportsman is joining the show, a swimmer. they wrote he was to strengthen the sportsmen's team, but I wonder if this has anything to do with the problem with the basketball player, and if he's essentially replacing him- 

https://star.mt.co.kr/stview.php?no=2021032509582149353&shlink=tw

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

7 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Wis dom Welcome! I too feel sorry for everyone involved in that drama. So much work will go to waste now that they are planning to “fix” it. 

About TMWYS lol! Its interesting to have a male perspective. That drama did many things well but also wasted so much of its potential. I agree. 

3 hours ago, budgerie said:

@Wis domWelcome! Have fun with all of us here!

6 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Oh! I didn't know about this controversy... I actually have wondered about the extent to which China AND Japan have influenced Korea. I don't know much about Korea's history except for what I saw in Kdramas. I wonder where this situation is leading... Hope nothing bad and that it will stick to fighting over who invented what :) 

@dramafan33 thanks for the info. 

I agree. The subject matter sounds silly, and JH's Bang won was too magnificent for that. But I do wonder if he was approached...

Oooo! This sounds a great idea- telling the story of Bang Won and his wife! In the little that read about her she sounds like someone really interesting. Also, I have wondered- if I remember correctly, many of his concubines and other women were actually from her retinue, so I kinda wondered- did she arrange them? :blink: 

@Wis dom I would like to welcome you too! A male's perspective is always welcomed! as to TMWYS, as @dramafan33 said, I also thought that it had a lot of wasted potential. The fascinating thing was that even the producer admitted the show wasn't all it could be, and he expressed regret for not being able to help JH realize his vision!

I actually did like Jin Seo-Yeon's character, but I never thought there should be a romantic connection between them, especially not since OHJ hasn't gotten over the death of his fiancé yet. He was still in mourning, so I don't think he was emotionally available for anything romantic. One of the missed opportunities for me of the show was that they didn't actually show why OHJ fell in love with his fiancé in the first place, being the complex character that he was. They didn't delve enough into that past of his... 

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Yes I agree but the director is being also humble here as it was truly enjoyable for me but I noticed straight away the potential. I actually liked the concept and dress styling they gave JH in this series. They gave him that cool awesome vibe look. Like someone who has been thru all and done everything and some sort of illusionist trickester look. The romantic aspect is what it lacked especially between the leads as I wanted something between JH's character and Jin Seo-Yeon character. That is really the only place for me that I would have added on but as far as the plot itself and the intrigue it was great. 

I would actully like them both to run it back. Do another drama together this time a romantic drama perhaps a melo with a different concept. I think there is potential in this pairing and it should be explored. I am all up for them running it back.

EQzng4CUUAA_TvW.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

I meant the premise of the show, that sounds silly to me- "Joseon Exorcist" is a horror show,

Oh ok. Thanks for explaining. But I don't think he'll want to act as Bang Won again unless a really good script which I doubt.

in both the leads were fictional characters... So instead of focusing on the super interesting real story, the production made up a fictional story, with fictional characters that were so much less interesting...

Frankly, I also dislike it when esp in historical drama, the production moved away too much from the actual history. MC would have been "perfect" if it concentrated on BW.

Right... I was so disappointed that that was the only scene we got with her...

I think you're right as you've always mentioned before, there's nothing "intimate" in k drama (hahaha)! I mean, we don't need to go overboard with the romance but have to make it realistic right? From the way I see OHJ behaviour (quite cold towards her), why would he grief for so long?

18 minutes ago, Wis dom said:

I would actully like them both to run it back. Do another drama together this time a romantic drama perhaps a melo with a different concept. I think there is potential in this pairing and it should be explored. I am all up for them running it back.

Actually with OHJ that type of look, he should act as a gangster. I mean, his gangster role or ex gangster role in WOL was to me comical. He looked more cartoon than gangster.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Actually with OHJ that type of look, he should act as a gangster. I mean, his gangster role or ex gangster role in WOL was to me comical. He looked more cartoon than gangster.

I haven't actully watched work of love yet but it is on my watchlist. He could play a gangster or an eccentric persona with that look. 

I did catch Ordinary person few months back tho I thought it was good

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Oh ok. Thanks for explaining. But I don't think he'll want to act as Bang Won again unless a really good script which I doubt.

Agreed

Frankly, I also dislike it when esp in historical drama, the production moved away too much from the actual history. MC would have been "perfect" if it concentrated on BW.

Also agree. I thought the made up story between the two friends was so contrived and cliche. Also the "bad" friend's actions never made sense. Just bad writing. And Hwi was essentially Bang Won split. They credited him with the things that in actuality were done by the real Bang won, to make him look smarter. When if they focused on Bang won, the story would have been so much more coherent. If it was just about his relationships with his father, brothers and wife- we would have gotten an epic show!

I think you're right as you've always mentioned before, there's nothing "intimate" in k drama (hahaha)! I mean, we don't need to go overboard with the romance but have to make it realistic right? From the way I see OHJ behaviour (quite cold towards her), why would he grief for so long?

Exactly! We got no justification for OHJ's grief, except for JH's acting. Remember that when we initially heard about the premise, I thought that it sounded as if it was Dr. LYO losing his "sunshine". If they would have showed us an extraordinary woman that manages to break through OHJ genius and coldness and reach his heart, similarly to what happened in BM, we would have had an amazingly tragic love story. But the problem was that the show was focused on the wrong thing, exemplified by the name of the show- "Tell me what you saw". The thing is that that premise was actually made redundant as soon as OHJ got out of his lair. It was as redundant and the idiotic super-hearing idea in Voice.

It feels like OHJ was an after thought. That they had a basic idea that they didn't really think through, and by the time JH got his hands on him, he developed him into a character that was much bigger than the premise of the show, and they didn't know how to handle him.

That's exactly the thing- it was never explained to us why he had such good connection in the underworld, and why was he so proficient in killing and torture. A simple profiler shouldn't have all those traits...

17 minutes ago, Wis dom said:

I haven't actully watched work of love yet but it is on my watchlist. He could play a gangster or an eccentric persona with that look. 

I did catch Ordinary person few months back tho I thought it was good

I actually wouldn't recommend Wok of Love- it one of the only JH shows that I dropped. JH is not the lead, and the main FL is extra annoying

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wis dom said:

I definitely don't recommend Wok of Love. Have you watched Beautiful Mind? This one is good if you like doctor kind of plot. JH acting here is good. He acts as a man without emotion. 

Have you watched Money Flower? Have you watched My Country? I recommend you to watch MC. Even though JH isn't the lead, his acting as Bang Won nailed it. And you must watch Money Flower too.

When if they focused on Bang won, the story would have been so much more coherent. If it was just about his relationships with his father, brothers and wife- we would have gotten an epic show!

Exactly! It would have been good. The bad writing in MC + the bad editing. Remember we were so upset about the fighting scene which made BW hair looked a mess but we didn't know why. 

Exactly! We got no justification for OHJ's grief,

For a girl to be able to be OHJ fiance, she should be someone who could "warm" OHJ heart. The drama should show a different side of OHJ - his softer side when he's with his fiance & the deep love they shared which caused him to grief for so long but the drama didn't tell us what we saw.  

I actually wouldn't recommend Wok of Love- it one of the only JH shows that I dropped. JH is not the lead, and the main FL is extra annoying

I didn't drop WOL but I ff watching only JH scenes. I get terribly annoyed with FL came on scene. Not her ya. Her screen character + her hair. But I dropped TMWYS. I actually got bored.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Agreed

Also agree. I thought the made up story between the two friends was so contrived and cliche. Also the "bad" friend's actions never made sense. Just bad writing. And Hwi was essentially Bang Won split. They credited him with the things that in actuality were done by the real Bang won, to make him look smarter. When if they focused on Bang won, the story would have been so much more coherent. If it was just about his relationships with his father, brothers and wife- we would have gotten an epic show!

Exactly! We got no justification for OHJ's grief, except for JH's acting. Remember that when we initially heard about the premise, I thought that it sounded as if it was Dr. LYO losing his "sunshine". If they would have showed us an extraordinary woman that manages to break through OHJ genius and coldness and reach his heart, similarly to what happened in BM, we would have had an amazingly tragic love story. But the problem was that the show was focused on the wrong thing, exemplified by the name of the show- "Tell me what you saw". The thing is that that premise was actually made redundant as soon as OHJ got out of his lair. It was as redundant and the idiotic super-hearing idea in Voice.

It feels like OHJ was an after thought. That they had a basic idea that they didn't really think through, and by the time JH got his hands on him, he developed him into a character that was much bigger than the premise of the show, and they didn't know how to handle him.

That's exactly the thing- it was never explained to us why he had such good connection in the underworld, and why was he so proficient in killing and torture. A simple profiler shouldn't have all those traits...

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

I definitely don't recommend Wok of Love. Have you watched Beautiful Mind? This one is good if you like doctor kind of plot. JH acting here is good. He acts as a man without emotion. 

Have you watched Money Flower? Have you watched My Country? I recommend you to watch MC. Even though JH isn't the lead, his acting as Bang Won nailed it. And you must watch Money Flower too.

Exactly! It would have been good. The bad writing in MC + the bad editing. Remember we were so upset about the fighting scene which made BW hair looked a mess but we didn't know why. 

For a girl to be able to be OHJ fiance, she should be someone who could "warm" OHJ heart. The drama should show a different side of OHJ - his softer side when he's with his fiance & the deep love they shared which caused him to grief for so long but the drama didn't tell us what we saw.  

I didn't drop WOL but I ff watching only JH scenes. I get terribly annoyed with FL came on scene. Not her ya. Her screen character + her hair. But I dropped TMWYS. I actually got bored.

Well noted with the recommandation. I have watched Money Flower previously. But I dropepd My country. I saw it when it aired and it had alot of hype but it somehow didn't ignite chemistry between the leads and it had recognizable names on the cast Jang Hyuk, Seolhyun and Woo Do-Hwan. I know JH was not the lead but I was unfamiliar with the ML Yang se-jong they should have switched between him and Woo Do-Hwan. The bromance didn't quite do it for me nor the romance. The story itself was to vast. I like Seolhyun and Woo Do-Hwan. I agree JH was awesome in his part. 

You shouldn't have dropped TMWYS tho it becomes a rollarcoaster. I thought Eum Moon-suk as the rural cop did a phenomenal job to make it a good dance with JH's character. His an underrated actor imo. His recently also cast in Yoo Ha's movie pipeline. I hope to see him getting lead roles soon. Just from that performance it should automatically promote him to lead role

• Like 4

MBN posted the preview, and this is the caption... I seriously hope this show will not be about people who can cook already...

"

[Pre-release] I'm Lee Sang-yup, I'm going to become a sexy guy!

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Bulgogi Mushroom Hotpot Cookcook with Cha Tae-Hyun & Jang-Hyuk
More successful than you thought?! (Expectation )

<National Defense Cook Cook> First broadcast at 6 PM on Saturday, April 10!"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM1SX2Bgo1n/

On another subject- Thinking about it- was JH the only member of the cast of Yacht Expedition who didn't bother getting his yachting license?

8 minutes ago, Wis dom said:

Well noted with the recommandation. I have watched Money Flower previously. But I dropepd My country. I saw it when it aired and it had alot of hype but it somehow didn't ignite chemistry between the leads and it had some recognizable names on the cast Jang Hyuk, Seolhyun and Woo Do-Hwan. I know JH was not the lead but I was unfamiliar with the ML Yang se-jong they should have switched between him and Woo Do-Hwan. The bromance didn't quite do it for me. The story itself was to vast for the young cast to deliver. If they had cast older cast like in their late 20s or 30s they could have tackled better such a big concept drama in a saguek setting but the cast were to young here in their early 20s. I like Seolhyun and Woo Do-Hwan. I agree JH was awesome in his part. 

I will admit to completely skipping the first episodes of MC that didn't have JH in them directly to when JH became more prominent. I think most of us did that. JH's plot line with his father and brothers was amazing! And his performance was mind boggling! I highly recommend you try watching it again, "OUR" style :D I want to rewatch it, but I am waiting for someone to produce a JH only edit...

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

4 hours ago, Wis dom said:

But I dropepd My country. I saw it when it aired and it had alot of hype but it somehow didn't ignite chemistry between the leads and it had recognizable names on the cast Jang Hyuk, Seolhyun and Woo Do-Hwan. I know JH was not the lead but I was unfamiliar with the ML Yang se-jong they should have switched between him and Woo Do-Hwan. The bromance didn't quite do it for me nor the romance. The story itself was to vast. I like Seolhyun and Woo Do-Hwan. I agree JH was awesome in his part. 

IKR. I found the 2 guys acting - mediocre. 

4 hours ago, Wis dom said:

You shouldn't have dropped TMWYS tho it becomes a rollarcoaster. I thought Eum Moon-suk as the rural cop did a phenomenal job to make it a good dance with JH's character. His an underrated actor imo. His recently also cast in Yoo Ha's movie pipeline. I hope to see him getting lead roles soon. Just from that performance it should automatically promote him to lead role

I dropped it at episode 9 or 10. I really got bored.

4 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I will admit to completely skipping the first episodes of MC that didn't have JH in them directly to when JH became more prominent. I think most of us did that. JH's plot line with his father and brothers was amazing!

I think I ff episode 1-3. Only episode 4 than Bang Won appeared I think. Can't really remember but it was that scene which I like, he reproached his father - that scene where he dropped his sword & knelt down infront of his father & got up before his father gave him permission to stand up. I just love that untidy hair & acting there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

OT but since we discussed this show-  wow! They actually cancelled this show! After the second episode!! 

But why? Thankfully JH isn't in this drama otherwise all the wasted efforts, just like New Sea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, budgerie said:

But why? Thankfully JH isn't in this drama otherwise all the wasted efforts, just like New Sea.

Because advertisers pulled their money from the show, and I understood that they weren't even allowed to film in certain locations as a result of them giving china too much historical credit.

So much wasted money and effort... I wonder if they made the decision to insert those Chinese elements intentionally, or was it an actual oversight...

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

New teaser for the new variety show! 

Looks like they actually got rid of the basketball player! Double wow! 

• Like 3