16 minutes ago, yoeda said:

I found a thread on AFN forum that I found funny. It's something like "You are watching a Thai drama when..."

So, here I change it. You're watching a Korean drama when...

- a ML piggyback a drunk FL

- you can be poor but still using latest Samsung handphone

- jerky chaebol with heart of gold ML (pergghh)

- a truck of doom

- noble idiocy everywhere

feel free to add guys. :Megalol:

:lol:

The ML talks like he's an alien that doesn't know how to human

The FL will be in innocent awe of fireworks, merry-go-round, rainbows, rain, sun, wind, clouds, sea, desert, trees, flowers, rocks, bugs, shoes....

who's next?

:popcornjackson:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Awesome 1

52 minutes ago, yoeda said:

- jerky chaebol with heart of gold ML (pergghh)

I wish in my next life I will be born on the planet where rich 'chaebols' can fall in love with penniless women. :lol:

You people may think that I'm a weirdo because I find Hyukie's t-shirts in Hometown Whatever riveting. It's totally his style. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

@Biology Lesson Oh please share what things you’ve learned from the BM Soompi thread (I probably participated there but I don’t remember. For a long time I was only a “lurker” cause I kept forgetting my password)

BTW, inspired by Hyukie I bought a Tap ball (aka reflex ball) and I’m still very bad at it :loolz:

• Like 3

I think it’s pretty clear that a beautiful looking couple does make a difference in terms of buzz. And Kim Soo Hyun is a hallyu star and he doesn’t act as much, so the exclusivity and rarity factor is there. If JH had been more handsome in BM, it would make the show more drool worthy for us, and maybe add abit if ratings but I doubt it would be much. PSD was good in the later half, and I think they suited each other for the purposes of the story, but it really is about right time and place for everything to fall into place. Looks at PSD, after Parasite’s Oscar win, she’s a coveted actress now and her new show with PBG is highly anticipated. 

I don’t think anyone can control these things, of course promotion will work if you’re in a management company which is highly influential - but I think we have all established that JH seems to have moved away from seeking popularity, preferring longevity. And yeah, I get the sense too that he doesn’t care too much about making himself look handsome for the sake of attracting viewers. He knows he is handsome :rolleyes: but it seems he doesn’t want to use his handsomeness to his gain. Which is something that other actors will probably milk to the max. But with JH - his passion for acting comes first before anything - and given that he’s also married, I think he doesn’t care about appealing to the female population. Didn’t the PD of MF say that abt him? I think the fact that she said that means milking sexiness and looks is a known norm in the k entertainment industry. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Oh please share what things you’ve learned from the BM Soompi thread (I probably participated there but I don’t remember. For a long time I was only a “lurker” cause I kept forgetting my password)

:D I actually didn't see your name as one of the posters. The only fans that I recognized from here were @yoeda  and @Prettysup, that was the thread manager. The rest of the active posters on that thread seem to be inactive now or first time posters, that created an account because of Beautiful Mind or that, like you, they posted so rarely that they forgot their password :).

So what did I learn?

• I learned that Beautiful Mind is a unique and very uncharacteristic kdrama. Since I haven't seen that many, I had my suspicions, but I wasn't sure. However, the sheer shock of the posters seeing the level of writing and complexity of the storytelling in Beautiful Mind confirmed that indeed BM was unique. Many of the posters, seeing the low ratings, essentially repeated what was said by many of you here- that the Korean home viewer loves simple romantic comedies and doesn't like complicated themes. Realistic romance is not popular, and the low ratings that Beautiful Mind got ensures that that will remain the case. Very sad for me.
  • I learned  that the cast, though disappointed by the rating and the episode cut, knew that their show was loved by international viewers. I kinda thought that JH didn't speak much about that show because it was a sore point for him, but it seems that the cast and crew was very proud of what they achieved and it seemed that it made them really united. I was surprised to learn that in spite of the episode cut and the low ratings, the crew went together on a trip to Jeju island after the show ended, something I usually see in successful shows. Also, they had a reunion a year after the show ended, which JH attended. That made me very happy
  • I learned that KBS initially wanted to cut the show to 12 episodes (!), but it was the writer who fought KBS and got 14 episodes. I really want JH to work with this writer again. She seems so fierce, in addition to being a fantastic writer!
  • From an interview with the director, that @Prettysup posted, I learned that the director meant for LYO to be initially hated by the audience, just as the girl was. This is a quote from the interview:

"He praised Jang Hyuk’s acting but wonder why his character is so popular. “Lee Yong-oh character is supposed to get all the hate, but it didn’t happen so I feel lost. He is a flawed character like Jin-sung (in emotion) and person you want to avoid because he is chilling, but the viewers think of him way too fondly. It must be due to Jang Hyuk ssi’s acting, but I’ve never imagined. I was shocked.”"

This was fascinating to me. This means that the director wasn't able to convey his intention to the audience. I'm sure that if he had, the show would have had even lower ratings, as most of the audience already hated the girl in the first episodes. It looks like, yet again, JH took over the character and managed to convey HIS intentions, making LYO more layered and vulnerable. By now it's clear to me- the role of the director changes when it comes to JH. JH needs the director, but not to direct him, but rather to moderate him and deal with the technical stuff JH doesn't want to deal with.

• I learned from Park Se-Young that JH ad libbed during the shoot. In an interview she said that in the flashback scene in which her character was trying to get LYO to ask her out for chicken, JH ad libbed the line "go eat. Don't worry about me...". She said that her character was supposed to be angry at the end of that scene, and that JH's ad lib really helped her as it made her even more angry :) This again, shows, that what JH does on set is not just to make his character better, but he will also help improve his co-workers.
  • And finally, I learned that LYO's name was essentially his number in the orphanage, as in Korean LYO sounds like 205. This to me, really amplifies the abuse that LYO experienced in his life. That he was only a number to the people in the orphanage and, than, to his adoptive father. Really interesting detail.

BTW, inspired by Hyukie I bought a Tap ball (aka reflex ball) and I’m still very bad at it :loolz:

Really?! You have that Tap ball?! Now I'm jealous... 

:brokenheart:

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

You know even though JH doesn't consider popular compare to Hallyu stars but he really have an avid and loyal followers. For example, around here this thread is always on Hot Topic coz ppl keep coming back and post. Look at the right column. Also when he have a new drama, even he is a supporting character his rice wreath totally no joke. To achieve something like that is not easy.

i have to say thanks to FTLY and BM. Since that day this thread never got boring anymore. here once before like a lonely planet. lol.

:rickroll:

• Like 6

@Biology Lesson Thanks for sharing! Ok I was definitely only a “lurker” then. I didn’t remember all these details either but I always had the feeling that JH was proud of BM despite the ratings. The cast reunion confirmed it further but I believe he mentioned LYO in a fan meeting as well and didn’t sound like he had regrets. Which is why I found super strange when I saw a spanish kdrama fan (literally from Spain) saying that JH hated his role in it and I was very confused by that. Why would anyone think that? JH has never said anything negative about LYO or BM, not even in the slightest and like I said I remember him actually saying he liked that role despite ratings (but I wish I could find the exact quote)

The other thing I remember is that detail about 205, korean fans actually called him “205” too, awww. Watching BM as it aired was such a bittersweet experience, I LOVE that drama soooo much, and loved watching the story unfold beautifully and get better and better, and so sad that the ratings never went up but the people watching it felt so protective over the drama, it was such a beloved drama to those who watched it, we even had a voting to get the Director’s Cut (like we did for FTLY) and even non JH fans supported it because they saw how beloved the drama was to its fans, but alas we didn’t get enough votes. As you said, even the writer, cast and crew felt very passionate about it. I’d also love to see JH work with this writer again. 

• Like 5

On 7/10/2020 at 9:12 PM, corey said:

I think my jaw dropped and will remain on the floor for the rest of the evening. PD wanted LYO to be hated by the audience???  What exactly was he thinking? So how the show was supposed to draw the audience? People do not want to see the characters they dislike. At least I don't. I stopped watching this drama with KSY because I hate the FL

So now I understand the purpose of the scene in the airplane, the only scene where LYO comess off as an upleasant character. Even JH was not able to improve that dialogue....

Right?! That was shocking to me. I can't imagine what he was thinking. Understand that he and maybe also the writer intended to make both JS (the girl) and LYO unlikable. With JS they succeeded; you should have seen the vitriol against her after the first 3 episodes! Some fans later said that they very nearly quit watching the show because of her. It was LYO that kept them watching. And this is where JH's amazing talent and insight came into play. 

Reading this it's possible that the director and writer intended the show to be a much simpler "love heals all" kind of thing. If it wasn't for JH, it would have been "A bad character changes due to love by a really annoying little girl". :blink: Seriously. That is what we would have gotten! But instead we got a nuanced and complex human study...

You are right about the scene in the Airplane, that was the scene that showed us how they wanted LYO to be in the first episodes... that would have been horrible! Thank god for JH! 

But that made me think about another recent discussion that we had, about how JH rarely works with the same director twice. Not many directors would be happy that an actor subverted their intention, as misguided as it was. Only directors that care more about the final product, than having their way, would work more than once with JH. Even the writers might have a problem with JH ad libbing and changing their script, as we know he does.

This is not meant as a slight for other actors/threads, but I sometimes have a look in the other actor's threads and there are mostly news and photos...Only recently there was some kind of discussion in the Woo Do Hwan thread, since the poor boy is joining the military these days...

Whereas we here bicker and gush and discuss...Very entertaining :D

I remember when I first became a fan of JH, I started looking for a fan page in which there are discussions of his work going on. I found some groups on Facebook, but in all of them, as you said, all they post is news and pictures. Also don't forget the cooing :) The only thread that I found that had decent discussions was here; really a credit to @Prettysup and to JH for the quality of fans he has :)

On 7/10/2020 at 8:16 PM, yoeda said:

You know even though JH doesn't consider popular compare to Hallyu stars but he really have an avid and loyal followers. For example, around here this thread is always on Hot Topic coz ppl keep coming back and post. Look at the right column. Also when he have a new drama, even he is a supporting character his rice wreath totally no joke. To achieve something like that is not easy.

i have to say thanks to FTLY and BM. Since that day this thread never got boring anymore. here once before like a lonely planet. lol.

I didn't know about the "hot topics" thing :) Cool to know! 

The rice wreath JH always gets are really impressive! Though I actually don't understand what that is... are we talking about actual rice sacks?!

On 7/10/2020 at 9:50 PM, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Thanks for sharing! Ok I was definitely only a “lurker” then. I didn’t remember all these details either but I always had the feeling that JH was proud of BM despite the ratings. The cast reunion confirmed it further but I believe he mentioned LYO in a fan meeting as well and didn’t sound like he had regrets. Which is why I found super strange when I saw a spanish kdrama fan (literally from Spain) saying that JH hated his role in it and I was very confused by that. Why would anyone think that? JH has never said anything negative about LYO or BM, not even in the slightest and like I said I remember him actually saying he liked that role despite ratings (but I wish I could find the exact quote)

I was afraid he did hate that role, because I never saw him mention it, but after reading that thread it's clear to me the entire cast is very proud of that show. I was quite surprised by that. Their posts on their own IG were very telling from that stand point. I don't know what that Spanish fan was talking about... :blink:

The other thing I remember is that detail about 205, korean fans actually called him “205” too, awww. Watching BM as it aired was such a bittersweet experience, I LOVE that drama soooo much, and loved watching the story unfold beautifully and get better and better, and so sad that the ratings never went up but the people watching it felt so protective over the drama, it was such a beloved drama to those who watched it, we even had a voting to get the Director’s Cut (like we did for FTLY) and even non JH fans supported it because they saw how beloved the drama was to its fans, but alas we didn’t get enough votes. As you said, even the writer, cast and crew felt very passionate about it. I’d also love to see JH work with this writer again. 

It was really interesting to read that thread, and at some points I even wished I could join the discussion :) But, alas, my time machine is out due to maintenance...:D It felt like the low ratings made you guys into a very tight loving group, and really motivated! 

I also hope the writer and the director will work again with JH, and long as they will allow him the same freedom that he had in BM...  

• Like 4

@Biology Lesson I forgot to answer you about the ball. I bought an inexpensive one on Amazon called “reflex ball”, which looks very similar to the one JH uses, but Its probably not the same quality.  It feels like it’ll be fun once I can actually punch it instead of the air :P

The rice wreath, its actual sacks of rice and a banner. The idea is that the rice gets donated to low income families after the event so its a good alternative to sending flowers, for example. When Stuck on Hyuk was active, we actually managed to send one (I designed the one for Gaekju) The US fan group that I started with three friends also sends one when we can (We are on FB, but like you said, there aren’t many discussions, its more about gushing, and its hard to stop people from doing that lol). The japanese fans (there’s two known big clubs and they are the oldest active fans too, started following him since “Bright Girl” era also always send one. Zoi used to be the only source of JH info for international fans when I started following him. She always had the latest news (this is pre- IG era) DC Gallery was the korean club we Stuck on Hyuk used to join forces with on occasion but they are now less active. Chinese and Philippines groups always send one. And then came Elaine, she is a korean fan who owns the Jang Hyuk No 1 IG account and she organizes the biggest support events now (including food truck support events, wrap up party gifts, etc) Each group doesn’t have millions of people (like other fan clubs) but they are passionate and dedicated, and love to show their support for JH. One of the most beautiful things DC Gallery used to organize (well, mostly, Gummi) was the JH character clay dolls. Unfortunately, she doesn’t have the time anymore and the tradition was broken last year. I wish we’d have a Bangwon doll :cries:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson I forgot to answer you about the ball. I bought an inexpensive one on Amazon called “reflex ball”, which looks very similar to the one JH uses, but Its probably not the same quality.  It feels like it’ll be fun once I can actually punch it instead of the air :P

It doesn't look to be easy, as that ball is quite small :) 

The rice wreath, its actual sacks of rice and a banner. The idea is that the rice gets donated to low income families after the event so its a good alternative to sending flowers, for example. When Stuck on Hyuk was active, we actually managed to send one (I designed the one for Gaekju) The US fan group that I started with three friends also sends one when we can (We are on FB, but like you said, there aren’t many discussions, its more about gushing, and its hard to stop people from doing that lol). The japanese fans (there’s two known big clubs and they are the oldest active fans too, started following him since “Bright Girl” era also always send one. Zoi used to be the only source of JH info for international fans when I started following him. She always had the latest news (this is pre- IG era) DC Gallery was the korean club we Stuck on Hyuk used to join forces with on occasion but they are now less active. Chinese and Philippines groups always send one. And then came Elaine, she is a korean fan who owns the Jang Hyuk No 1 IG account and she organizes the biggest support events now (including food truck support events, wrap up party gifts, etc) Each group doesn’t have millions of people (like other fan clubs) but they are passionate and dedicated, and love to show their support for JH. One of the most beautiful things DC Gallery used to organize (well, mostly, Gummi) was the JH character clay dolls. Unfortunately, she doesn’t have the time anymore and the tradition was broken last year. I wish we’d have a Bangwon doll :cries:

Thank you for explaining! I was wondering who was organizing all those food trucks, rice wreathes, wrap parties things and so on. In order to organize all those things don't they need to have some connection to JH or his representatives? I mean to organize the things for the wrap parties and for the press conference don't they need more time than the announcement in the media? Also, does the Soompi thread have only international fans active on it?

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson Yes, that’s why there’s always a need for the international clubs to be connected to someone in Korea who in turn has a connection with JH management. But organizing these events is always a rush and a big hassle, so kudos to these fans. Its a lot of work. I know that nowadays Elaine helps other clubs too but the japanese fans have their own connections. My connection was Gumi who was with the DC Gallery club. I wish we had more korean fans here on Soompi. It would be so much fun and it would help us with all our questions about the industry and the culture! 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

@Biology Lesson Thanks for sharing what you read from the BM thread. I remembered following the Dramabeans comments when they were recapping BM. They were really interesting too! I remembered reading about the director being so surprised that 205 was so well liked by the audience. Definitely his acting. And the little details he likes to add to his acting. 

@dramafan33 Was it hard to hit the ball? It looks pretty fun but seems difficult. I want to watch Hyuk demonstrate how to hit it!

@coreyI know you hate his outfit here but he is sooooo handsome in the show..

IMG-20200711-091154-296.jpg
IMG-20200711-091710-077.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

"He praised Jang Hyuk’s acting but wonder why his character is so popular. “Lee Yong-oh character is supposed to get all the hate, but it didn’t happen so I feel lost. He is a flawed character like Jin-sung (in emotion) and person you want to avoid because he is chilling, but the viewers think of him way too fondly. It must be due to Jang Hyuk ssi’s acting, but I’ve never imagined. I was shocked.”"

When I first read that i thought maybe he wanted the audience to misunderstood LYO like how the people in the drama did only to find out later there's more then what's on the surface.  Maybe director is more surprise how well receive he was so early on.  It would be so cliche if it was just love conquers all theme.  I guess my first thoughts went to first scenario because we said the story itself is unique and so I hope the director would have a deeper meaning behind that intention.  Regardless still glad JH stepped in and did his thing.  Love that drama.

New Video:

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

@dramafan33 now I miss @Gumi . Where's she? She got married or something? I love her translated article.

About hating his character lets face it. It's Jang Hyuk. Nobody can hate his character even as flaw and twisted as Kang Pil Joo. He is more despicable than LYO but audience love him. Maybe not his behavior but his good look make ppl root for him. Haha. Somehow JH can make audience feel his character purpose and accept the flaw no matter how twisted they is. LBW, LYO, KPJ and etc.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

New update by ajincome today

Hide contents

I'm confused- what does this update mean? Just random movies JH likes? I looked at the trailer of the movie "In the mood for love" and this is a romantic Hong-Kong movie. The trailer told me nothing about the plot except for that. Very strange trailer :)  but if JH likes this movie, than I challenge him- please do a similar romantic movie! 

Also- isn't it interesting that none of the movies he posted is Korean?

2 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

@Biology Lesson Thanks for sharing what you read from the BM thread. I remembered following the Dramabeans comments when they were recapping BM. They were really interesting too! I remembered reading about the director being so surprised that 205 was so well liked by the audience. Definitely his acting. And the little details he likes to add to his acting. 

No problem. It was interesting to me :) 

@coreyI know you hate his outfit here but he is sooooo handsome in the show..

IMG-20200711-091154-296.jpg
IMG-20200711-091710-077.jpg

These closeups also show just how insanely perfect JH's complexion is. It's amazing. Like strawberry and cream... Not to mention his lips...

Also, fans of LSG translated the car vids into English... 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCe0LKTJsVr/

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, corey said:

@azureblue7 - Oppa is soooooo handsome, period. :wub:.  Actually I have never seen any variety shows or reality shows  - I know @dramafan33 tried to talk me into watching at one point, but I find it really boring. Like this clip with renovating houses that was posted by @phoenix24 - I just cannot feel the appeal. However, I miss JH so much, I might just watch the one with Park Hyun Sik, "The real men"? I am definitely not watching the current one, though

"Real men" is really cool. Even if you weren't a fan of JH. For me it was interesting cause I didn't know much about Korea, so it was nice way to get to know the Korean army. This and "Urban cops", that taught me about the Korean police. It's actually quite a serious show.

I would also recommend his appearance in Running Men (ep.44-45). It was really funny and JH was cool and cute in it. 

yes, same question here -  what it is supposed to mean?

I also admire his lips. Nowadays the preferred look for lips for K-Drama actors is wide, quite full and lip-glossed. JH's lips, however, are quite another level of sexy....without being feminine...Ok, gushing mode off...

It's funny, but his mouth reminds me of the mouth of a baby... the constant pout and slight swelling in the middle of his upper lip, is just like the mouth of very young babies that are still suckling :) 

Bond With Baby: When and How It Happens

As to his skin - he has a very pale complexion naturally - it shows in the gym videos. However, I think  that for the show he has some make-up on - even though he does not need much.

He always wears makeup when he's being filmed :) . In The dragon club show they made fun of him for that, but he was like "of course I wear makeup on camera!". Wasn't going to be shamed for that. It's easy to recognize when he's wearing makeup cause then not all of the beauty marks on his face show.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

When I first read that i thought maybe he wanted the audience to misunderstood LYO like how the people in the drama did only to find out later there's more then what's on the surface.  Maybe director is more surprise how well receive he was so early on.  It would be so cliche if it was just love conquers all theme.  I guess my first thoughts went to first scenario because we said the story itself is unique and so I hope the director would have a deeper meaning behind that intention.  Regardless still glad JH stepped in and did his thing.  Love that drama.

New Video:

Yes! I like this explanation! It makes sense. BM dealt with the concept of prejudice and perception. Everyone (in the drama) were quick to judge LYO as a monster but who was the real monster? The supposed “psychopath” or all those greedy people who didn’t even have an excuse and still behaved worse than monsters? Was LYO the monster or was it his “creator”? (the drama was said to have been inspired by Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein and I read some people saying they didn’t see the connection but I saw it in this concept)

So yes, I think at first LYO was supposed to seem repelling by his coldness, creepy and dangerous only to then be revealed that he was not a bad person at all. But Hyukie kinda blew it by being awesome and adorable and people simply sided with him right away lol (I’d say he was much more repellent at the beginning of Robbers) 

@azureblue7 I would looooove for JH to release a workout video that I could play on a loop to keep me company while I exercise!  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

So yes, I think at first LYO was supposed to seem repelling by his coldness, creepy and dangerous only to then be revealed that he was not a bad person at all. But Hyukie kinda blew it by being awesome and adorable and people simply sided with him right away lol (I’d say he was much more repellent at the beginning of Robbers) 

Actually I didn't side with him right away, i thought he was the antagonist and was creepy...haha! 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Actually I didn't side with him right away, i thought he was the antagonist and was creepy...haha! 

Haha actually I didn’t either :D I knew the premise so I knew he wouldn’t be the antagonist but I was curious how he would “turn around” because he obviously behaved pretty douchey at the beginning. But I did enjoy how smart he was. I never got too annoyed by him (like Dr House for example, I avoided watching that series cause of his jerk cold almost cruel persona, which made me almost angry lol and then I once caved and ended up loving the series) LYO was sort of a Dr House but I never got to the point of disliking him. He just made me really curious. 

• Like 4