OH MY GOD! I can see!! suddenly the background turned white, and now everything is better! :) 

Edit: ugh... I spoke too soon, it's dark again...

Edit2: light again... :) 

4 hours ago, budgerie said:

Yes I agree with you. CTH & KJK seemed annoying to me. IDK if it's because of they have to make the show "interesting" or it's just them by nature to be noisy, but both have annoyed me quite to the max. Not only is KJK annoying & noisy in DB, he's also noisy & over doing it in RM. To me, I feel that CTH is somehow "jealous" of the attention that JH is getting without even trying. CTH always try to "laugh it off" with that laugh of his whenever JH tries to speak. It's like cutting him off. This happened couple of times in that programme (as usual, I can't remember the title) where the BPP cast were in the interview. Few times JH tried to speak but was cut off by CTH laugh or by CTH cutting him off from his speech. It also happened in DB as well & the other variety show which I cannot remember title, the one that has KJK & CTH together. Family outing is the name is it?

The reason why I'm not watching this new variety show is because of CTH. I hate his annoying onscreen behaviour. Ok I give him the benefit of the doubt, I say it's his onscreen behaviour because IDK him off screen but his onscreen behaviour is annoying to the max.

As usual, JH just accept the teasing & all sorts. He's just being a gentleman. Imagine losing his cool onscreen would invite many unnecessary remarks & attacks. Not forgetting that CTH also has many supporters & is looked upon as one of the top "presenter" or whatever you call it...tv host? Plus not wanting to sour a long time friendship too.

I'm with you. I know he's JH's long time friend, and some here said that he's actually nice and funny, but I just don't see it. I just can't take how he and KJK make it a point to make fun of JH whenever they can. I'm tired of it. The whole fake "oh, TJ is embarrassing, but let me make sure to draw attention to it, and make sure to have JH talk about it and maybe even perform as TJ, even though I know he doesn't like it" really annoys me. CTH did that already in the "radio star" show and, and KJK actually has a guy on his team that all he does is imitate JH! Such good friends... ugh! I really don't understand the relentless way they do this, especially since JH never retaliates... I noticed that the only variety shows that he did and I like, don't include them or has them keep their distance from him.

3 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

Ok, now that I watched it in English, some of the reactions I kind of get. 

JH does say some stuff that are pretty unique and the Busan's boys are not even sure about like getting more sleepy in Busan.

When they talked about him having a kid's taste bud.  I kind of think of his hotdogs. 

@Biology Lesson yea oppa was thinking of a relaxing vacation kind of show only to be surprise.  Hopefully, he'll win more in the next eps.  I thought the Busan's loyalty was admirable and cute.  

JH is a very quirky guy, and has a unique sense of humor, so at times it's difficult to say when he is being serious and when he is joking. Part of his charm... :)

I will say that I noticed that the online response to JH in the show is very positive- most comments think JH came across as adorable, cool and funny. Not to mention very handsome. So I'm happy about that... He needs to do one of the variety shows you suggested or some more serious show that has him learning something. He loves things like that.  

• Like 5

@Biology LessonTo reply your earlier post, but am not quoting your earlier post because I'm already having a headache seeing the dark coloured text. My apology ok...

I dislike it too whenever the guys make fun of JH TJ days or imitate him in 1 of the Chuno scene. I mean, we can be bff but there are areas we don't go overboard even with bff. Let's put it this way, who doesn't have an unpleasant past? It can be us in the area of work (maybe no promotion), in the area of school (we may have failed an exam) or in relationship (failed relationships) & it doesn't go well with me to keep harping on a person's past pleasant or unpleasant.

It precisely is JH past (unpleasant ones) that shaped him to be the kind of man he is today. Imagine if everything was smooth sailing, he might not be the person he is today. He might be self entitled.

JH is loyal & values everyone & everything that came his path, we all know that. He's just too nice a person who doesn't know how or doesn't want to put people in their "place" if they went overboard. The Mi Young character? :neutral:

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, budgerie said:

@Biology LessonTo reply your earlier post, but am not quoting your earlier post because I'm already having a headache seeing the dark coloured text. My apology ok...

Completely understand :) . I changed the text background, hope the new light background will not change anymore... 

I dislike it too whenever the guys make fun of JH TJ days or imitate him in 1 of the Chuno scene. I mean, we can be bff but there are areas we don't go overboard even with bff. Let's put it this way, who doesn't have an unpleasant past? It can be us in the area of work (maybe no promotion), in the area of school (we may have failed an exam) or in relationship (failed relationships) & it doesn't go well with me to keep harping on a person's past pleasant or unpleasant.

It precisely is JH past (unpleasant ones) that shaped him to be the kind of man he is today. Imagine if everything was smooth sailing, he might not be the person he is today. He might be self entitled.

That's the thing- I don't think JH's TJ past was that bad. I mean, I saw some of CTH's and KJK's performances from the same time, and I thought their look was as bad and- the songs? much worse. Very sugary and cringey. I actually thought KJK current performance is cringey, but that's just my taste... TJ was actually kinda cool for that time. And considering how shy JH is, I appreciated his courage in doing such a thing. I know that for a while JH was embarrassed by it, but I don't understand why.

But yeah, for some reason these friends make it a point to make fun of JH for it, and to me it's just not funny.:huh:

As to the Chuno imitiation- there are these two "comedians" that always imitate JH, specifically that Chuno scene, and that's all they do! And they're not that good even... But every appearance they make, they do this same imitations... They should thank JH for giving them a career... <_<

JH is loyal & values everyone & everything that came his path, we all know that. He's just too nice a person who doesn't know how or doesn't want to put people in their "place" if they went overboard. The Mi Young character? :neutral:

I think JH's loyalty to them comes from what happened during his military scandal. I can't find anymore the article about it for some reason, but I read that at the time there was another member to The Dragon Club, a sixth one. When the scandal broke, that guy attacked JH in the media, but the rest of the guys stood by JH and essentially threw that sixth guy out of the club for that. This is why JH is so loyal to them. He once said that he's willing to make a fool of himself for these 4 guys. What I don't like is them taking advantage of his loyalty like that... 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

@Biology Lesson I remember u mentioned that JH loves singing even though he doesn't like performing in front of people. Evident here in the car..you can see him enjoying singing with the rest.

It always amazes me, it's like he can't control himself :lol: 

Edited by Sushimi
Please do not quote twitter post/gif emoji thanks!
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Just finished watching the first episode of Hometown Flex and I can sort of see what @Biology Lesson is saying. Thought it would be more of a chill kind of show and not expecting games and such although tbf the producer was in 2D1N prior to this so ... I don't really mind KJK and CTH teasing JH but they overdo it by bringing up the same stuff over and over again across many different shows. I enjoyed the guests in Hometown Flex, the hosts not too much. I am not sure why CTH acts like that since I do enjoy watching older shows of his where he is more mellow. I guess when you're the host it is a bit different. Overall, I enjoy watching JH again and really enjoyed the other guests eventhough I don't know much about them so I am quite happy :lol:

On a side note, light theme is back again!!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, meowpow said:

Just finished watching the first episode of Hometown Flex and I can sort of see what @Biology Lesson is saying. Thought it would be more of a chill kind of show and not expecting games and such although tbf the producer was in 2D1N prior to this so ... I don't really mind KJK and CTH teasing JH but they overdo it by bringing up the same stuff over and over again across many different shows.

In The dragon club, KJK just wouldn't stop! He would look for ways to embarrass JH, constantly. It got so bad that even CTH had to tell him to knock it off! I really don't understand this type of behavior. Is it jealousy? Secret resentment? I don't know, and it's even more baffling since it's obvious JH really cares for him... I don't get it...

I never saw 2D1N, but wasn't CTH forced to leave 2D1N because of some silly scandal? Seeing the type of show Hometown flex is, I wondered why JH even agreed to do it. My guess is that JH wanted to support CTH as he was returning to hosting another variety show after the scandal, and that's the thanks he gets... 

7 minutes ago, meowpow said:

I enjoyed the guests in Hometown Flex, the hosts not too much. I am not sure why CTH acts like that since I do enjoy watching older shows of his where he is more mellow. I guess when you're the host it is a bit different. Overall, I enjoy watching JH again and really enjoyed the other guests eventhough I don't know much about them so I am quite happy :lol:

Maybe I will only watch the bits with just the Busan guys interacting, they seemed like fun.

In the mean time I found the Real men clip in which JH's group lost a challenge so they didn't get to eat. But as you can see, real friends don't allow JH to remain hungry! I adore Park Hyung-sik for how he behaved here. Such a sweetie to take care of JH like that...

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

19 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

The fact that they are starving our JH is particularly cruel because its him and we know how much our boy loves to eat! And these are his hometown meals! Ugh nonononono I protest the concept of this show! :smashes:

Actually, at least they fed them in the car after the fan signing.  We see Hyuk and Simon holding some bread burger looking thing.  They did it kind of discreet so maybe they did feel bad for the guests.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I know that for a while JH was embarrassed by it, but I don't understand why.

I think I can understand. I mean, if you look back at old photographs at what you did in school, maybe acting or singing on stage or something similar, you might find yourself embarrrassed by it now. I felt it now when I recalled my school days when I had to act as Cleopatra in 1 of the concert.

But yeah, for some reason these friends make it a point to make fun of JH for it, and to me it's just not funny.:huh:

KJK come across as someone who isn't sensitive to the people around him. He just say what he want to say without thinking might this sentence be hurtful to the other person. I guess probably JH knows his personality too well so just overlook it. But as a fan, we can't understand why KJK has to make fun of JH all the time.

As to the Chuno imitiation- there are these two "comedians" that always imitate JH, specifically that Chuno scene, and that's all they do! And they're not that good even... But every appearance they make, they do this same imitations... They should thank JH for giving them a career... <_<

I wish I could tell them, once is "funny" twice is "enough" but one too many times makes people irk. But it isn't even funny to begin with.

I think JH's loyalty to them comes from what happened during his military scandal. What I don't like is them taking advantage of his loyalty like that... 

To me, I feel this is 1 of his flaw more than his goodness. You can still be loyal without having people climb on your head. It doesn't mean that someone who stood by someone during those bad days means JH is indebted for life. There's still that thin line between what's acceptable & what's not acceptable.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I never saw 2D1N, but wasn't CTH forced to leave 2D1N because of some silly scandal? Seeing the type of show Hometown flex is, I wondered why JH even agreed to do it. My guess is that JH wanted to support CTH as he was returning to hosting another variety show after the scandal, and that's the thanks he gets... 

Don't watch 2D1N much either but it's sort of known for its "tough" (?) filming conditions where the members would have to play games for food and sleeping conditions etc JH doesn't really appear on much variety shows so I definitely do think its to support his friend. I do think its quite shitty though to get them to pay for food when they are on a show. Not even on this show specifically but I have seen on some occasions like in Running Man where some guests would have to pay for a meal and what not.

In the mean time I found the Real men clip in which JH's group lost a challenge so they didn't get to eat. But as you can see, real friends don't allow JH to remain hungry! I adore Park Hyung-sik for how he behaved here. Such a sweetie to take care of JH like that...

I do enjoy watching Real Men though. It seems very raw since they are put in training and when you are exhausted I guess you can't simply put on an act in front of the cameras. The relationship between all of them is quite beautiful to watch.:blush:

In The dragon club, KJK just wouldn't stop! He would look for ways to embarrass JH, constantly. It got so bad that even CTH had to tell him to knock it off! I really don't understand this type of behavior. Is it jealousy? Secret resentment? I don't know, and it's even more baffling since it's obvious JH really cares for him... I don't get it...

I used to like KJK too back when he was in FO he was quite mellow. I guess after being in variety for so long, you sort of have to fight for screentime and one of the ways is to simply be loud and obnoxious. Same with CTH. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

I think I can understand. I mean, if you look back at old photographs at what you did in school, maybe acting or singing on stage or something similar, you might find yourself embarrrassed by it now. I felt it now when I recalled my school days when I had to act as Cleopatra in 1 of the concert.

Oh, for sure! My school pics are the worst :) Thank god I hate having my pictures taken so there are not that many of them... :lol: What I meant, I don't understand why he's embarrassed , when EVERYONE at that time looked ridiculous, including his "nice" dragon club friends. 

To me, I feel this is 1 of his flaw more than his goodness. You can still be loyal without having people climb on your head. It doesn't mean that someone who stood by someone during those bad days means JH is indebted for life. There's still that thin line between what's acceptable & what's not acceptable.

It's very hard for me to say, because what we see on these shows is one aspect of their relationship that is clearly exaggerated. For sure we know he is very loyal, but we don't really know how he is privately. Is he really this mellow privately? Will he let them get away with such abuse privately? I don't know... We know he can get intense and serious, and that he is not really a push over. Also, considering everything we know, I don't think they are that close as friends. Seems like they are mostly work friends, while I think he is closer to the members of the shy club.

38 minutes ago, meowpow said:

Don't watch 2D1N much either but it's sort of known for its "tough" (?) filming conditions where the members would have to play games for food and sleeping conditions etc JH doesn't really appear on much variety shows so I definitely do think its to support his friend. I do think its quite shitty though to get them to pay for food when they aren't on a show. Not even on this show specifically but I have seen on some occasions like in Running Man where some guests would have to pay for a meal and what not.

They actually need to pay?! I thought that was fake! In the Running man episode that JH appeared in, they did have a competition in which the loosing team  had to pay for dinner for many people. But in that game JH's team won, so they didn't have to pay. KJK paid for his group.

If 2D1N was that way, I understand why JH never appeared there. 

I do enjoy watching Real Men though. It seems very raw since they are put in training and when you are exhausted I guess you can't simply put on an act in front of the cameras. The relationship between all of them is quite beautiful to watch.:blush:

Oh, Real men is just great, and I came to love all the guys that were there with JH. Such a great group of guys!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

They actually need to pay?! I thought that was fake! In the Running man episode that JH they did have a competition in which the loosing tean would have had to pay for dinner for many people. But in that game JH's group won, so they didn't have to pay. KJK paid for his group.

If 2D1N was that way, I understand why JH never appeared there. 

I'm not too sure about 2D1N about paying for their food but they do have to compete with each other for it at times so I can definitely see why JH might not be too keen to join. As for RM, the episode JH appeared in is not the only time they had to pay for a meal. In later episodes one of the punishment was to pay for the staff dinner. I am not sure if it is fake or not since it was never disclosed but it must come as quite a shock if you were a guest and suddenly you might have to fork out money for a staff dinner :lol:

• Like 4

@corey PHS had not done real  military service when he joined Real Men, I suppose after all these years and having been in real military service already he is now in better shape than before (probably) but otoh Jang Hyuk’s stamina is no joke

He should do more movies in general! (Although Im not a huge fan of k-film) But there was a time when he was too associated with “action” and he probably wanted to show his ability in actual “acting”. He did mention on Healing Camp when asked about audience’s perception of him as an action actor and he said that “it hurts a bit” since he tried to show other facets (but this was at the time of Tree with deep roots, I think by now people already know he is much more than an action actor) 

That move you saw there is a very classic JH move. He has done that reverse kick in many dramas. 

Park Hyungsik was so adorable, always fanboying over JH :cutekitty:

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

So, watched the first few minutes of Hometown flex (I skipped the part with just the hosts... can't say I care...) and I think I see what they did: It's all editing. The editing of the show and the little comments on screen make it seem like JH is completely clueless.

First of all, I really think JH was there to support CTH. There actually was no reason for him to participate in the show, as, beside him being born in Busan, he doesn't seem to have much of a connection to that region. You can say he is more of a Seoul native than Busan, since he lived in Seoul for 26 years. He said that he visits once a year to see friends, but usually they recommend places for him to go to. He doesn't really know the area, and he forgot the dialect. He said that to use that dialect now, makes him feel awkward. It's just not natural to him anymore. So what was the point in bringing him?!

Now, up to this point, very little of what JH said was actually funny. He was just being sincere and serious. There was maybe one bit that was funny when he imitated the Busan dialect. That's it. All the rest was serious. But just as @budgerie said, whenever JH opened his mouth, CTH started laughing. <_< Every single time! Essentially CTH was laughing at him no matter what he said. JH mostly ignored him, but it was obnoxious. 

As to the two other Busan guys- both of them appear regularly in variety shows (the older one said he is not as experienced in those shows, but he regularly appears in at least one). So, both of them know that in these type of shows you need to be silly and funny, so they were that. But JH wasn't doing that. He was actually saying serious, insightful things, which kinda threw them off, so they also made fun of what JH was saying...

And this is the thing- in the bit that I saw JH wasn't being silly! it were the reactions from the other guys and the way that the show was being edited, with those little comments on screen, that made it seem like he was... 

The same goes for the soup thing- I mean, how many of you would recognize a soup you last had several years before?! JH remembered he liked it, but how would he really remember its exact taste?!

The same goes to the fan signing thing- the girl was obviously shaking in excitement about meeting JH, and she clearly didn't notice he tried to shake her hand, but we need to make this funny! So this is what the other guys did... :huh:... 

At any rate, the reaction online for JH's appearance in this show is very positive, and it may be good for his career to appear in these type of shows as they seem to be popular in Korea, but I really rather he did a less silly, more laid back variety show. I'm liking more and more @phoenix24 idea of JH doing 3 Meals a Day. One of the guys there was in Flu with him, so I think he'd be comfortable doing that... And I hope this is the last time he does anything with CTH!

7 hours ago, corey said:

Also... Yes, as @azureblue7 mentioned above, romcom please. However, seeing this clip (starting from app. 4.23) I want to scream action, please!

I was thinking if anyone wants any ideas how to "utilize" JH other than in a romcom, one needs only to look through the selected clips of TRM. He is soooo cool taking this guy down. And I do not think this is choreographed, what do you think?

I did wonder about that. The guy that JH took down here was also good, so I wondered if he was actually one of the stunt guys JH works with, but in the show the showed him practicing the sequence... Maybe the guy was one of the instructors?

Why haven't we seen JH in an action movie, such as Hyun Bin made, for example "Confidential assignment"?

I didn't think about that! He does movies that have action in them, but they are not action movies... I don't know why... I guess those movies are reserved for the top tier actors?

Well, he can do a romantic action movie, like "Dead man down" with Colin Farrel. :) have any of you seen this movie? Really good movie... 

Edited by Sushimi
Please do not quote videos, thanks.
  • Like 3

@Biology Lesson Your comments remind me of a few things from the USA trip JH made

The interviewer asked him, why he is so serious? And commented that he seems to think a lot before he answered any question even the most trivial question and JH answered: Yes, I’ve been told this but isn’t it a good thing to think before one speaks? Why is this seen as a bad thing? (Of course Im paraphrasing here, its been a while since I watched this interview) What I found most interesting is that while the reply may sound a bit sassy, JH’s demeanor was very sincere. He was genuinely was asking, what is so wrong with thinking? 

Another moment I remember is when he was by the sea he got nostalgic and said that the sea reminded him of his hometown and the quiet peaceful times he spent there. So in this case, I beg to differ with you. I think Busan is important to him. JH wasn’t just born in Busan, he grew up there. He spent his childhood and adolescence there. I can relate to him in this aspect, I moved to the USA right after I finished high school and I have lived here longer than in my country. When I go back there, there are many things I don’t recognize. Many things changed but I still treasure the memories and I still have a fondness for the country I was born in. My accent is not what it used to be either. And while some things changed there are still those things that remind me that that place is still “home”. 

Regarding the editing of these variety shows, I believe JH himself complained about how they only show him being too “serious”, and editing all his funny bits (I suppose the ones where he tries to be funny?) but anyway, even that assertion prompts the laughter from the interviewers. I guess people find him funnier when he is being earnest and serious. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

3 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Your comments remind me of a few things from the USA trip JH made

The interviewer asked him, why he is so serious? And commented that he seems to think a lot before he answered any question even the most trivial question and JH answered: Yes, I’ve been told this but isn’t it a good thing to think before one speaks? Why is this seen as a bad thing? (Of course Im paraphrasing here, its been a while since I watched this interview) What I found most interesting is that while the reply may sound a bit sassy, JH’s demeanor was very sincere. He was genuinely was asking, what is so wrong with thinking? 

There was an old interview that was posted here recently, in which he said similar things. At one point in the interview he started talking very seriously about how important humor is, which made the people around him in the interview start to smile. At which point he stopped, and commented about the fact that he knows that the way he talks can get tiring, which made everyone burst out laughing. 

This is something I noticed about him, that he will be serious even about the silliest of things... 

Another moment I remember is when he was by the sea he got nostalgic and said that the sea reminded him of his hometown and the quiet peaceful times he spent there. So in this case, I beg to differ with you. I think Busan is important to him. JH wasn’t just born in Busan, he grew up there. He spent his childhood and adolescence there. I can relate to him in this aspect, I moved to the USA right after I finished high school and I have lived here longer than in my country. When I go back there, there are many things I don’t recognize. Many things changed but I still treasure the memories and I still have a fondness for the country I was born in. My accent is not what it used to be either. And while some things changed there are still those things that remind me that that place is still “home”. 

I'm not saying that Busan had no effect on him. Obviously ones childhood shapes you. But he doesn't know Busan in general, just the place he specifically was raised in, and even that vaguely as it's been 26 years since he lived there. For the expressed purpose of the show, that was to introduce interesting locations in Busan to the Seoul guys, while they were also urged to speak in the Busan dialect to make things more authentic, for this, he seems unsuitable, as he said he doesn't know that many interesting places in Busan nor can he speak in the dialect. Maybe in the rest of the episode or the next one he will take them to a place that he has a more personal connection to, but for now, in all the clips that I saw, he seemed more like a visitor than a native.

Regarding the editing of these variety shows, I believe JH himself complained about how they only show him being too “serious”, and editing all his funny bits (I suppose the ones where he tries to be funny?) but anyway, even that assertion prompts the laughter from the interviewers. I guess people find him funnier when he is being earnest and serious. 

I actually think JH is very funny. His sense of humor is very off bit and surprising. When he says something funny, it's never predictable to me. Like in the phone call with his friend from GOD- when his friend asked him what is he doing, he answered "what do you mean what am I doing? I'm talking to you!". That was hilarious and unexpected. I loved it! I also loved his sense of humor in "Friends in Croatia".  So quirky! :) But it's a different type of humor than what shows like Hometown flex require. It's not quick and simple, it doesn't come at someone's expense, nor is it accompanied with slapstick. So- they end up making fun of him instead... and that I don't like. 

• Like 3