@Biology LessonFor variety show, I enjoy him (without CTH/KJK). For example RM was good as in the comaraderie amongst the soldiers including JH. They were noisy at some moments but they don't make fun of each other to the point of embarrassement. I like the part where JH helped Sam up when Sam dropped down from the bar (don't know what you call that thing) but JH pushed him up again. Friends in Croatia saw the brotherhood of 3 men. Although there were some funny moments but nobody teased each other to the point of embarrassment. That's what I'm trying to say. CTH & KJK will tease JH to the point of unease & embarrassement.

I definitely have the impression that JH is doing this programme just to support CTH since it's his 1st show after the gambling scandal of CTH.

The other person who I don't quite like is the guy from GOD, the one who spoke some english & appeared a cameo role in FTLY with the baby. Didn't he also talk too much in DB about JH past that JH was uncomfortable? JH said enough, I'm now a father of 3. But it seemed the guy didn't take the hint as well.

And I don't understand this thing that JH is serious. What's wrong with that? It's his personality but why do the tv host or whoever hosting the programme must make JH look silly like a clown? I would rather JH do a variety programme which is serious, maybe a talk show rather than becoming a clown for humour. Enough of my ranting...I'm not watching this new CTH hosted programme. :blink:(Sorry, I must have got up from the wrong side of the bed today- hahaha). 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Hihi maybe I'm too optimistic, but I don't see it all that bad.   Like we say most of the reviews on Hometown Flex was positive where JH is concern.  Whatever about teasing/embarrassing him, people just find him to be more adorable so in that sense maybe the editing serves its purpose.  I will still watch the next eps because he put in effort.  Especially after going through all the ups and downs, should at least skim.

With CTH, I see his laugh as kind of like a tik to diffuse the situation to be on more funny note because maybe not everyone would get JH or to get it off serious tone.  I'm not sure if he's laughing at him per say, but that's debatable.  I will give him credit in trying to help JH out with the game for conch by reminding him that he doesn't have to say beach each time.  I just think with those kind of variety shows there are a lot of subtle details.  It might seem mean that the two MCs didn't leave any conch for the boys when they walked down the cliff, but suggesting a game give the boys an opportunity to have more food with complete new plate share among the three.  Suggesting games are a kind of chance card on those variety shows, but suck Busan boys weren't lucky.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

Hihi maybe I'm too optimistic, but I don't see it all that bad.   Like we say most of the reviews on Hometown Flex was positive where JH is concern.  Whatever about teasing/embarrassing him, people just find him to be more adorable so in that sense maybe the editing serves its purpose.  I will still watch the next eps because he put in effort.  Especially after going through all the ups and downs, should at least skim.

Oh, for sure! All the comments that I saw adored JH in the show. I only saw comments calling him cute, funny and, of course, handsome. It was the same case in The dragon club. But for me it was hard to take. In general I don't enjoy shows that make fun of people, and it's even worse if it's someone I like.  In the dragon club it was worse, cause at a certain point JH actually addressed the fact that they were mocking him, so it did affect him. It looks like it affected him in this show too, as he was asked if he was angry, as he was holding himself like he was. Maybe that was why you saw him afterwards eating, as they might have realized they went overboard, or maybe he just went and got food, ignoring the production. To me that's hard to watch. I might skim, as you said, but I'm not sure I will watch the entire show.

With CTH, I see his laugh as kind of like a tik to diffuse the situation to be on more funny note because maybe not everyone would get JH or to get it off serious tone.  I'm not sure if he's laughing at him per say, but that's debatable. 

It could be that he was anxious at JH being too serious, but in that case he should not invite him at all! That would reduce his anxiety... <_< Again, I didn't see the entire show, just the first 10 minutes, but I was really shocked when I noticed that just as @budgerie pointed out- CTH laughed EVERY TIME JH opened his mouth. Ugh... 

I will give him credit in trying to help JH out with the game for conch by reminding him that he doesn't have to say beach each time.  I just think with those kind of variety shows there are a lot of subtle details.  It might seem mean that the two MCs didn't leave any conch for the boys when they walked down the cliff, but suggesting a game give the boys an opportunity to have more food with complete new plate share among the three.  Suggesting games are a kind of chance card on those variety shows, but suck Busan boys weren't lucky.

I guess it's just not my type of shows :) 

As to the "3 meals a day" show, I wanted to ask- what exactly goes on in that show? I saw one episode and I noticed that there is one guy that cooks. Are they hanging out in his house? What is the deal with that show?

5 hours ago, budgerie said:

@Biology LessonFor variety show, I enjoy him (without CTH/KJK). For example RM was good as in the comaraderie amongst the soldiers including JH. They were noisy at some moments but they don't make fun of each other to the point of embarrassement. I like the part where JH helped Sam up when Sam dropped down from the bar (don't know what you call that thing) but JH pushed him up again. Friends in Croatia saw the brotherhood of 3 men. Although there were some funny moments but nobody teased each other to the point of embarrassment. That's what I'm trying to say. CTH & KJK will tease JH to the point of unease & embarrassement.

Oh, there were many great moments in RM. But even when someone failed or lost, they might tease him, but never too much and they will also comfort him. That's why I like that show so much. I especially liked the episodes around the 72 hours of no sleep challenge, loved to see how JH cared for the young soldier...

I definitely have the impression that JH is doing this programme just to support CTH since it's his 1st show after the gambling scandal of CTH.

The other person who I don't quite like is the guy from GOD, the one who spoke some english & appeared a cameo role in FTLY with the baby. Didn't he also talk too much in DB about JH past that JH was uncomfortable? JH said enough, I'm now a father of 3. But it seemed the guy didn't take the hint as well.

You are right. In that show he also went overboard. But I kinda forgave him when I saw how emotional he got when JH showed up at the 20 yr anniversary for GOD performance... :)  

And I don't understand this thing that JH is serious. What's wrong with that? It's his personality but why do the tv host or whoever hosting the programme must make JH look silly like a clown? I would rather JH do a variety programme which is serious, maybe a talk show rather than becoming a clown for humour.

I agree. I mean usually, when he feels comfortable, his seriousness is always combined with humor. So why these shows feel like they need to push the funny? Also in the Hwasin show, they would constantly say "You are being too serious". And I was like "Shut up! He's saying interesting things, why don't you just listen?!" But I did notice that in the second part of the show, that sadly doesn't have subs, it looks like he won them over, so they didn't interfere any more when he was being serious, and just listened to him... I wish I knew what he was saying there...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

As to the "3 meals a day" show, I wanted to ask- what exactly goes on in that show? I saw one episode and I noticed that there is one guy that cooks. Are they hanging out in his house? What is the deal with that show?

Three Meals a Day — Fishing Village 5” follows Cha Seung Won, Yoo Hae Jin, and Son Ho Jun in which they spend time living in a fishing village and use the food they can find there to create three meals a day. Guests join them to eat dinner together.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

It's ok everyone has their preference.  To tell you the truth, I had a hard time at the beginning watching korean variety.  I think I was ok with it after watching other things and seeing their culture more.  I didn't get RM at first, but they won me over later with how close they are in reality and you can see it here and there.

You know what type of show I think you would hate even more...Hidden Camera.  I find those to be extra cruel and literally bringing people to tears, anger, and embarrassment.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, phoenix24 said:

You know what type of show I think you would hate even more...Hidden Camera.  I find those to be extra cruel and literally bringing people to tears, anger, and embarrassment.

Reminds me of a web series KJK did with HaHa called Big Picture where its first season was basically a hidden camera to show the public on how kind Lee Kwang Soo is despite his image on Running Man. I'm not sure if KS was in on this from the beginning but that was the whole basis of the show. The viewers did not know about this being a hidden camera until the later episodes and everyone was like wtf is this. Did not know how LKS was not pissed off at them because they literally showed footage of meals they had together or games they played together and they were interviewing women to sort of hit on LKS. I don't know if LKS just went along with it because he was younger than them or because they had to continue working together on Running Man but that was just cruel

• Like 2
  • Unamused 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, phoenix24 said:

It's ok everyone has their preference.  To tell you the truth, I had a hard time at the beginning watching korean variety.  I think I was ok with it after watching other things and seeing their culture more.  I didn't get RM at first, but they won me over later with how close they are in reality and you can see it here and there.

I can say that generally I'm not interested in variety shows, especially those with celebrities. If I do watch, I like the professional ones, like top chef and project Runway. I like seeing creativity, it's nice.The only reason I watch Korean variety shows is for JH. Never got into RM, though I think it's a nice show. I did watch a few episodes of "The return of Superman" as the kids were so cute. I saw some of the episodes with OJH babysitting his baby with two other actors, that was nice, but then it started to feel exploitative of the children and contrived, as random celebrities would "volunteer" to babysit. So I stopped watching that too. 

I did watch the second season of Urban cops. I wish JH had done that too, as this was even tougher than the first season, and the guys were very impressive in it (especially Lee Tae-hwan and Cheon Jeong Myeong), except for Kim Min-jae, that very clearly couldn't take it, so suddenly got an assignment that "confined" him the office. but even there I noticed that there were more contrived parts, clearly designed to make the show more "entertaining" and there were more scripted scenes. I didn't like that.

You are right! I hate those type of shows. I find them cruel...

28 minutes ago, corey said:

Could you please remind me, why exactly is JH friends with this CTH guy? I do not recognize him, do not know who he is, but from all your comments he seems like an obnoxious type - did he at one time do a great favour to JH so he feels he need to repay it ten times over?

It reminds me of an anecdote I heard once. The gist was as follows: "Why are you so sad?" "I asked XX to give me a ride on his bike and he did" "So why are you sad" "Because I know that in return he will make me carry his bag for an entire year".

Seems like this type of relationship.

I'm not really clear on the details of how they got to know each other- maybe someone here knows more details? I'm guessing it was after they acted together in a show. I don't know what exactly led to the formation of the Dragon club (I actually am baffled by the whole concept of these "clubs" the Koreans have. It's like between friends, but there is something official about it? I really don't understand this). But what I do know is that all the members of the Dragon club, except one, supported JH during his scandal, and this is where JH's loyalty to them starts. He specifically said that he will make a fool of himself for every single one of those four guys. About CTH I don't know much, and some here say that he actually is a nice guy and a close friend of JH, but, to me personally, whenever I saw him he came across as annoying and obnoxious, and, for some reason, he makes it a point to mock JH whenever he can, So I don't like him...<_< 

Well, if this is the outcome of this show, then I am not going to bash it. Anything that improves JH recognition is good for JH.

For sure these types of shows will make JH very popular with the younger crowed, as he is so charming, but he said that the need to constantly be funny really stresses him out and he's uncomfortable in them as he feel like he doesn't belong in them.

During the show he said that it's a bad show and he very clearly did get angry... It's not for him...

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

I believe JH and CTH were part of Sidus, when JH started with Sidus, CTH already was well known. CTH, JH and actress Jung Ji Hyun became close at that time. I think the first time JH and CTH worked together (and bonded) was during the drama “Into the Sunlight” where CTH was the lead and JH was the second lead. CTH recently had a gambling scandal but before that, he enjoyed popularity due to this success in variety shows and some blockbuster films. According to Gumi, he is the most popular and successful of the Dragon brothers. 

I believe The Dragon brothers nickname was coined by the media or audience (?) not the guys themselves. All these guys are born in the year of the dragon and that’s where the nickname comes from. And I think all of them have been with Sidus at some point, and that’s where they probably met. I defer to @fiesty8001 who not only tends to have more accurate into than me, but has a much better memory too :P

• Like 4

Na PD does Three Meals a Day and other shows like it that are quiet and slow-paced. I admit, I'm not a fan of those type of variety shows. I like the competitive ones and with those you get the big personalities and members making fun of each other. KJK making fun of JH was nothing compared to how he and others make fun of each other on Running Man or how CTH and the other members of 2D1N teased each other. It took me a while to get used to when I started watching Korean variety shows. 

I don't know what CTH and KJK are like in real life - though everyone always praises CTH - or what their friendships are like, but their job is to entertain viewers, and I think they both have their variety shows personas and don't really think about how someone who is not used to variety will feel. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I believe JH and CTH were part of Sidus, when JH started with Sidus, CTH already was well known. CTH, JH and actress Jung Ji Hyun became close at that time. I think the first time JH and CTH worked together (and bonded) was during the drama “Into the Sunlight” where CTH was the lead and JH was the second lead. CTH recently had a gambling scandal but before that, he enjoyed popularity due to this success in variety shows and some blockbuster films. According to Gumi, he is the most popular and successful of the Dragon brothers. 

I believe The Dragon brothers nickname was coined by the media or audience (?) not the guys themselves. All these guys are born in the year of the dragon and that’s where the nickname comes from. And I think all of them have been with Sidus at some point, and that’s where they probably met. I defer to @fiesty8001 who not only tends to have more accurate into than me, but has a much better memory too :P

But don't these clubs have a more organized aspect to them? I think It's not just a group of friends nicknamed a "club" but a bit more. I'm saying this since I remember JH spoke about the Shy club that he also is a member of (the members of which I suspect JH is closer to than the dragon club members), and he said that they actually pay a fee to form a petty cash from which they pay for food trucks they send to people and for dinners.

• Like 3

In the mean time, look at this moment, a nice pleasant moment. No one's cackling (well, almost no one...), just enjoying the view. What I liked about this is that JH didn't pull out his phone to take a selfie- he just enjoyed the view. JH said that he wanted to cut back on his selfie posting -  and he sticks to it! Good for him!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I believe JH and CTH were part of Sidus, when JH started with Sidus, CTH already was well known. CTH, JH and actress Jung Ji Hyun became close at that time.  

CTH recently had a gambling scandal but before that, he enjoyed popularity due to this success in variety shows and some blockbuster films. According to Gumi, he is the most popular and successful of the Dragon brothers. 

@fiesty8001 who not only tends to have more accurate into than me, but has a much better memory too :P

JH was only actor in Sidus when he joined this company. I think JH has mentioned it that he was first actor to be trained by Sidus. Besides this GOD guys were his dormmates and Joon Park is earliest member of this pop group. CTH joined Sidus later and I think he was popular as a host and comedian on KBS. After that he and JJH gained humongous popularity for My Sassy Girl and it's still their most memorable work. 

CTH's 'scandal' was

not scandalous at all. Even netizens thought that reporters were so desperate to dig up dirt on people with squeaky clean image that they have been inventing absurd stories. :grimace:

In reality CTH is a very smart guy and he made best use of this 'scandal' and got rid of 2D1N. There was no future for 2D1N after one of member did most disgraceful thing. CTH couldn't leave this show on his own because of his personal relationship with KBS and his co-hosts.

CTH was always most popular and probably wealthiest member of Dragon Club and there is no lack of work for him.

I don't know who coined the name of Dragon Club. I think

Only JH, CTH and HKI were with Sidus. Rest of members(including 2 ex-members) had different agencies. KJK was with a really thuggish agency. You are giving too much credit to my memory. I'm not better than anybody in this thread. :sweatingbullets:

9 hours ago, qynn said:

Na PD

JH was nothing compared to how he and others make fun of each other on Running Man or how CTH and the other members of 2D1N teased each other. It took me a while to get used to when I started watching Korean variety shows. 

I don't know what CTH and KJK are like in real life - though everyone always praises CTH -

I like Na PD's tranquility. :lol:

Even CTH and KJK are much more 'meaner' to each-other. They also often drag HKM along. Compared to this trio JH gets much more 'respect' in Dragon Club.:sweatingbullets:

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2