myphim said: awesomeduck said: Personally I think he only questions about killing because apart of him realises there are more important things in life...that is ES. He has a reason to live now. I think before he did not have a reason to live and even before when he was part of the red moon group his reason to live was not a personal one. The reason was because he was part of a group in which he had to protect. Now he chooses to live and wants to live and the reason is ES - he wants to be HAPPY with herMakes me cry thinking about how much he suffered from all the fights...heartache etc...EDIT:So in a way I think writer Song has to give us a happy ending because ES will be his tower of strength (behind every successful man is a smart and beautiful woman) okay I took that quote a little too far hahaha :))

Nice link there @myphim. I read most of it, eyes went a bit slanted from the italics! :))

I might have to rephrase myself a bit. I don't mean he questions himself as a warrior. Like @awesomeduck said, he is questioning himself about killing in general. He sighed that his sword has been killing the innocence rather than people he should be killing.

When he's in the Red Moon, he had family. They were his family so he had a life and who they killed were people trying to harm Goryeo. So he's doing what a warrior should do (as according to myphim's link). It was only after his master and MH died that he lost the desire to live. ES did brought that back to him. He wants to live, yes, but in what way? Out of the warrior life or as a fisherman?

I don't think he was given the time to think what he really wants to do, what with all that is happening non-stop. That's why when he safely transported the ministers to GM in the village, he lost his sense of way for a few hours (That was a funny sight to see)! However, he was quickly given another purpose / errand again by GM and distracted by ES's act of Mata Hari.

Young can still be happy with ES as a warrior (if that's what he wants). But will he? If he's questioning about taking lives. Warrior with a code or not, they are still taking lives. They take it when they are being attack, that was what Young was doing in EP22 to protect GM, but we can see now, he hesitated and showed signs of remorse, he does not want to do it. He's detesting it now. He could not breathe when he came back to the Woodalchi quarter until ES hugged him.

Edit: He didn't agree with how GM goes about it and that also lead to why he thinks he's killing unnecessarily.

untiek said:

is really take some time to catch up this thread every morning, last night still on page 902 and now 935... oh GOD ^:)^

like this MV cause have Hotchoi, ES & CY

@sia3 - I think you are right our daejang is confused now...maybe now that he has someone to live for and someone waiting for his safe returning he is able to understand the value of life. The people who are getting killed by him have someone waiting for them as well and they are merely puppets in the power struggle. But our daejang needs to accept that he lives a world that requires killing to bring peace. It is too hard my brain is fried - will listen to more Faith OST to calm my soul :)

myphim said: @sia3  @awesomeduck  Yes, his right hand was injured, but that was just a minor cut. A warrior like him should be able to handle such a cut easily without switching hand to fight. Remember his fight with Gi Cheol, he was cut many times but that never stopped him from fighting. No, in hindsight, I still think it was all psychological for him in the fight with the assassins. He was washing the blood off his hand and was also having trouble breathing while killing those assassins. Daejang never have those problems before and he was not serious injured in that fight. So yes, I think his hands problem started back then. We just didn't connect the dots until now. :))

me thinks a happy ending is not unexpected. afterall, choi young has already fulfilled his wish to invent a time machine [sorry me do not know how to upload a pic so i placed it in my signature :-/] ...  maybe he was also from the heavens and used his time machine to go back in time to meet eun soo.
 photostream

I've been re-watching earlier episodes of Faith this weekend and done some thinking about the story as a whole. The first thing I've been thinking about is the title of the show and how it fits the story. I've said this before, and I think it's worth repeating, I've never seen a show that stays so true to its title from beginning to now. And I've come to appreciate the title of the show a lot more now that I've seen how the story unfolds.
Not sure if this has been discussed in this thread before, but "Faith" the title has multiple layers. I recently learned from a viki fan post that the Korean title of the show is a reflection of the hanja characters which are meant to translate as "divine doctor and faith". But the meaning is sort of lost when translated to English because it doesn't completely capture the two characters of the title. The original poster explains this better than me, so I'll quote that person here:

The Korean title of the show, 신의, is a perfect alternative, in my opinion. It is a homonym with its two different meanings referring to the two main characters. 神醫refers to someone with a divine skill in healing (The Great Doctor; ES), and 信義 refers to the quality of someone who keeps his own word (Faith; CY). When written in Hangul, 신의, the title of the show contains both meanings, metaphorically reflecting the inseparable pair of ES and CY.

stinki said: me thinks a happy ending is not unexpected. afterall, choi young has already fulfilled his wish to invent a time machine [sorry me do not know how to upload a pic so i placed it in my signature :-/] ...  maybe he was also from the heavens and used his time machine to go back in time to meet eun soo.
 photostream

@awesomeduck
Yeah my brain was working again just now, analysing about daejang's lost of direction. I think this question has always been on my mind but the whole atmosphere of the drama was so angst that my emotion took over, so I had to, remain in Gutter Heaven to recuperate. :P

I actually stopped trying to analyse or over-analyse (as requested by the production team) the storyline too much now only because I never get it right with Writer Song so I might as well just sit back, enjoy the gutter talk and BTS pics, let the story be told to me every Mon/Tue. But yes, I do want answers to the time travelling, CY's choice and a HAPPY ENDING.

Ok, I should stop thinking. A migraine is coming up, still recovering from my sickness. And no, not caused by CHOONG SEOKKKK! :)) I was really sick before :P

Guest lililovelilica

hayuinblue said: @sia3 and @awesomeduck
at first i also thought it was because he injured
but then i remember when he fought with the assassin in episode 12
he said something like this :
"You are only doing this for the sake of money. It will be worth nothing though,
once you have died. There is someone I know. To her, the most precious thing
in this world...is living. However, you and I cannot understand this reasoning.
Because living, to us...is not dying. Yet she...She is different. Her way of life...
is truly living. Moreover, it is truly invigorating. That is why, whenever I look at her I would think:
"Wait. " "What exactly am I doing?" (taken from WITHS2 sub)

He already start questioning his action all this time since then
and while he do that somehow his body start to take action too
because he start to doubt himself
you never do something right when you have some doubt in your mind

guadi said: I've been re-watching earlier episodes of Faith this weekend and done some thinking about the story as a whole. The first thing I've been thinking about is the title of the show and how it fits the story. I've said this before, and I think it's worth repeating, I've never seen a show that stays so true to its title from beginning to now. And I've come to appreciate the title of the show a lot more now that I've seen how the story unfolds.
Not sure if this has been discussed in this thread before, but "Faith" the title has multiple layers. I recently learned from a viki fan post that the Korean title of the show is a reflection of the hanja characters which are meant to translate as "divine doctor and faith". But the meaning is sort of lost when translated to English because it doesn't completely capture the two characters of the title. The original poster explains this better than me, so I'll quote that person here:

The Korean title of the show, 신의, is a perfect alternative, in my opinion. It is a homonym with its two different meanings referring to the two main characters. 神醫refers to someone with a divine skill in healing (The Great Doctor; ES), and 信義 refers to the quality of someone who keeps his own word (Faith; CY). When written in Hangul, 신의, the title of the show contains both meanings, metaphorically reflecting the inseparable pair of ES and CY.

@guadi - The analysis of the title gives us some hope for a happy ending :)particularly...
The Korean title of the show, 신의, is a perfect alternative, in my opinion. It is a homonym with its two different meanings referring to the two main characters. 神醫refers to someone with a divine skill in healing (The Great Doctor; ES), and 信義 refers to the quality of someone who keeps his own word (Faith; CY). When written in Hangul, 신의, the title of the show contains both meanings, metaphorically reflecting the inseparable pair of ES and CY. 
Also since the original title of the show was meant to be "比翼鳥," Which someone posted on viki as meaning an inseparable pair of love birds (since these birds only have one eye and one wing each so they cannot survive/fly without each other
Writer Song is too awesome to write such an EPIC love story - make it happen writer Song! let them be inseparable!