• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest farstrep

kappy said: @farstrep - Oh good, not too bad, then.  Awesome fight scene.  I know I don't have to bring Faith into this, but I probably will from time to time.  Recently saw a post-Faith interview with LMH and he said he wanted to move faster in the fight scenes but was told not to.  Had to concentrate on making his moves BIG.  I know slow motion is cool to watch, but fast has its merits.

@sia3 - I saw it a couple days ago on the soupie LMH thread.  Check it out.  I don't think it's been posted on the Faith thread yet.  Well, I guess not, if you haven't seen it.  It was a good interview.
Re: the Battousai, it strikes me that he doesn't seem like a bitter swordsman with the world on his shoulders.  He's kept a sweet side of him.  I like that.

Guest farstrep

For the first time, Kenshin speaks a very Korean line. A line I hear a man say to a lady whenever she gets into trouble and needs rescuing in the Korean dramas. "Do you normally look for trouble this early?" MCP much? :))

On another note, I love his voice. It's so soft, so gentle, so low and so sexy. Takeru Satoh has this unique way of delivering his lines that make you feel that his character puts much thought into his words before saying them. Which adds another dimension to Kenshin - even when he is joking and you can tell he is joking, he is careful (or sensitive?) enough not to come off sounding mean or sarcastic.

koreanjap17_zps48bf5c99.jpg

I like how Kenshin takes off his clogs and bows before entering the main hall of the dojo. Years of killing people has not dulled the value he places on respect and propriety one bit. He calls people out on the simple things that they take for granted or intentionally keep tucked away in the deep recesses of their minds because he understands how powerful emotions can be and how people can be too blindsided by their emotions to think properly.

I love this shot. This is not a PS picture but one captured by accident. :P Very lucky.

respectsch09_zps56f73a0b.jpg

Guest farstrep

That's so smart, killing two birds with one stone. Discrediting the Battousai's name with these mindless murders while ruining the dojo's reputation so that Kaoru would be forced to sell the school? But the school is Kaoru's home too. If she sells it, where would she stay? I doubt the baddies would give her her money's worth for the school.

Even in the midst of the fight, Kenshin does not forget his manners, takes off his clogs and bows solemnly before entering the main hall. Too polite. Too respectful. He places extremely high demands on himself with regards to his interactions with people and inanimate objects but does not impose the same high standards on others' actions towards him. The only time I see otherwise is the scene where Kanryu throws money at him but I'm getting ahead of the screen caps. But it's clear he holds others in higher regard than himself.

I know how misleading this screen cap is but I can assure you Kenshin is not flailing his arms in distress. I kept rewatching this fight scene. It's that fantastic! Kenshin! Kenshin! :D

fightwifruffia124_zps5ea26b6d.jpg

Kenshin knows hand combat?

fightwithruffians123_zpsa6d9fc20.jpg

@sia3 - It seems like "oro" means "huh"?  Japanese like to use "are" (two syllables...you know)  meaning "that over there" but many times just used to mean "huh"?  And when he says "orororo" it seems like it means "omo".  Just a guess.

Hello @dr25! :-h

@kappy - Excellent! This panda is waiting. >:D<

And really, he wanted to move faster but was told not to?! That's a travesty; just the thought of how much better the fight scenes in Faith could have been under the hands of a more competent director makes me wince. The opening fight scene in Rurouni Kenshin is what I wanted the fight scenes in Faith to be like - they even had similar moves (jumping off walls and so on), but the actual execution on film is so different. Whereas in Kenshin every single movement conveyed agility and speed, LMH's "big" moves may have emphasized more strength, but the ridiculous use of slow-mo in every single fight scene had the unfortunate and probably unintentional effect of making Choi Young appear slow. When used well, slow-mo can really emphasize and enhance certain aspects, but when used indiscriminately as it was in Faith, all it did was stress how deliberately constructed each move was, thus rendering it occasionally silly and unbelievable.

@farstrep - That's the aspect of Kaoru that annoyed a lot of fans, I think, and while I was never against her to the point where I'd ship Kenshin with Megumi or Tomoe (the latter of whom I did not like at all), it's hard to deny that her rash bullheadedness induces irritation in the viewer. It's probably also partly the fact that Takei Emi couldn't bring much charm to Kaoru and make her character come alive more, but either way she came across as shouty, sulky and hit-first-apologize-later.

Archived