• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest farstrep

The ruffians remind me of the "Pirates of the Caribbean". If only they are half as fun as Captain Sparrow and his odd crew, I might have liked them better. Suddenly, I have a craving for the "Pirates" trilogy. Hm. Should I?

Why do the ruffians make so many noises when they're preparing to attack? It reminds me of a war cry gone wrong. I can understand why they don't see the need to remain silent so that they can catch Kenshin unaware. He isn't the omnipotent "Hitokiri Battousai" for nothing. Just saying. So might as well squawk embarrassingly like a pseudo-peacock and suffer an equally embarrassing defeat.

troublemakers_zpsb18223b1.jpg

And the final blow on the neck... ouch! Nothing better than using the wooden swords to drive home his point.

thefinalblow_zps27e1da41.jpg

The shocking moment when Kaoru learns of Kenshin's true identity... It can't be, can it? He can't be that Battousai, can he?

realization91_zpsfa33ef05.jpg

I always think the monologues, especially those lengthy self introductions and explanations about their fighting styles only read well in manga but do not translate well into live action scenes. Surprisingly, they all work in this film and don't sound silly or out of the world at all. If anything, they add to the gravity of the fights and hence, enhance our appreciation and enjoyment of them.

Is there a need for Kenshin to reveal his identity? Wouldn't this revelation bring catastrophe to the dojo, especially if one of the ruffians is to escape and spread the word around? How does he expect Kaoru and Yahiko to protect themselves against Kenshin's formidable enemies? He's already very capable of fighting the ruffians off with or without the wooden swords. Surely he can chase all of them out of the dojo without revealing his identity? Can we think of this revelation as a slip-up on Kenshin's part? That he is not in absolute control of his "Hitokiri Battousai" mode as he would like to believe?

Guest farstrep

@myphim: Is your mind heading for the gutter with the "sword"? [-X You can't go there now. I still need you here!

The police arrive to apprehend the troublemakers. Kenshin is quick enough to direct their attention to himself and takes responsibility for the trouble caused at the dojo when he realizes that Kaoru might be implicated in the police investigations. Though I thought Kenshin reacts a tad too quickly here. It would have been better if he had waited for Kaoru to attempt to answer the police before helping her. That would have allowed the actress to showcase her character's spunky attitude. 

fightatdojo_zps35d9c7e4.jpg

I can never get tired of Kenshin's repeated "oro"s, "ororo"s, "orororo"s, "ororororo"s. @everyone, I am going to go bonkers over this guy for a while. Sorry, Daejung, I love you so much but this guy is. Simply. Too. Cute. :P

capturedbypolice_zps17c40d45.jpg

Kanryu's hairstyle makes him seem all the more slimy. 
@sia3 - Yeah, me neither, but I think you're right - olden days talk.  Or it could be dialect of the area he's from.  Or it also could be his own special term.

sia3 said: @myphim
I'm swooning at this screencap, a lot of the close up of Takeru, it is not the Takeru I used to know ;))
i9t6Gfk8ntEmo.jpg
Were you swooning over this too? :))

p.s. myphim - you don't like your own long sword? :))

Guest farstrep

@everyone: I might be a tad late with my response to your tagged comments. Sorry.

There's just something about male leads that doesn't sit well with the jailhouse, no matter how drabby or emancipated they look. Love the starking contrast between the dreary cold surroundings and the Zen expression on Kenshin's face. Nothing can touch him at all, not even the jailhouse with its nasty convicts and mean-looking policemen.

jailhouse18_zps752ea02d.jpg

manjailho19_zpsa0110fbb.jpg

Kenshin encountering Saito Hajime, now Fujita Goro, after ten years. Not the best way to meet an old nemesis.

fujitagoro_zpsf8b8755b.jpg

Even the Admiral is in awe of his talents and wants to recruit him but Kenshin doesn't want anything to do with it. Smart boy. Politicians who advocate killing for the sake of "Restoration"... this sounds wrong. So wrong.

kenshinmeetsadmiral42_zpsed654a2e.jpeg

The manner with which Goro constantly scoffs, taunts and challenges Kenshin... he appears more interested in proving his thinking (ie. Kenshin will kill to protect people because that's the only way he knows to protect them) right and not so interested in whether Kenshin can actually protect someone without killing anyone in the process.

The hint of surprise in Goro's eyes is apparent when a wounded Kenshin reiterates his stand that he does not kill anymore. He realizes how serious Kenshin is adhering to his vow and his surprise turns to anger because he does not believe it. He cannot believe it because he does not understand it. For someone who has killed as many people as he has to get the country to where it is today, Goro cannot comprehend how Kenshin can even think of protecting anyone without drawing his sword. His face hardens and for a moment, I thought he wants to inflict more pain on Kenshin to call him out on his foolishness and draw out the "Hitokiri Battousai" in him. The smirk Goro has on his face before he walks away from the fight seems to speak of his confidence and certainty that Kenshin would come round to his thinking soon and realize that his notion is idealistic and impractical. Even if he doesn't, his enemies will make him.

How did they manage to get the raindrops line the top of the sword so beautifully? I love how firmly Kenshin holds steadfast to his vow not to kill even when he is constantly forced to reverse his blade.

raindropsonsword_zpsc7884855.jpg

Goro's quite similar to Kenshin, never bowing down to others and always sticking firmly to his principles. Both fight for justice. Goro is quick to clear any notion that the murders have been committed by the legendary "Hitokiri Battousai" despite his signature mark on the murdered victims. However, that's where their similarities end. While Kenshin is highly adaptable to different situations (he's come a long way, enduring the pain and hurt of his actions along the journey) and advocates non-violent (to the extent of preaching) methods in obtaining peace, Goro seems more rigid in his thinking and never dismisses the idea of resorting to violence when the occasion calls for it in order to obtain peace.

It's quite interesting to note that Kenshin never once advocates for the wrongdoers to get away scot-free, just that they should be dealt with using peaceful means.

Kenshin and Goro's ways of securing peace parallel that of the ending of WW1. Wilson advocated a peace treaty that went easy on Germany (Kenshin) but the 4 nations wanted Germany crippled beyond restoration and imposed a harsh penalty on her so that she could never rise to power again (Goro). And look how that turned out? Of course, I am oversimplifying the issue here but the basic point is this: violence (and unforgiveness) begets more violence (and more unforgiveness?). When, then, will this end?

Goro brings to mind Jack Nicholson's character in "A Few Good Men" and his famous delivery.

"You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.

We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!"

Sorry, I can't resist. That was and still is, for me, the most powerful scene I have ever seen in a movie.

iLV0O9bSyCtqq.gif

ivo5X4AGxt014.gif

I'm not sure what's missing, I don't know why I don't like her.
I'm fine with Megumi, but I like that she and Kenshin are like siblings in the manga. :))
They are both too similar to be a love interest. :D

farstrep said: Swoon, people or the wrath of GC will descend upon you. Since it's Lunar New Year, we shall say more auspicious stuff.

S*W*O*O*N NOW, people at Himura Kenshin and you'll be blessed with good luck and truckloads of money for the entire year of 2013!!

His "oro" sounds so cute, especially when it's accompanied by his wide innocent eyes and deadly RS lips. Oh, how can he be a cold-blooded assassin with that clueless look and sunny disposition? :( I wonder how he maintains that "purity" in him without becoming twisted, especially when he has come into contact with the vilest and most disgusting humans ever.

With his ability to switch effortlessly between his "Hitokiri Battousai" ruthlessness and wide-eyed innocence, he would be deemed a schizophrenic if he ever enters through the portal to the Heavens. If only he can come, I will be the first to welcome him with open arms... :x  :x

On another note, I feel very hungry, looking at his delicious grilled dumplings. I want one too!!!
Hahaha... @ farstrep ! I never saw you fangirling like that on Daejang in Goryeo land, I didn't know you have it in you ! :))Oh and by the way, you're definitely a backstabber. :P
edit : why is my post in the quote ? :(

I just have to ask, what's the deal between Goro and Kenshin in the manga? At the start, I thought they were in opposition of each other in the war and that because both are samurai, so Goro wants to challenge Kenshin. But the more I watched, the more I don't get their relationship in the storyline. They seem neither friends nor enemies. I do sense that they both have respect for each other and even the Admiral gives Kenshin certain level of respect...!

iNdDREcZ5zqjW.jpg
This scene is definitely beautifully shot! However, it went by a little too quick I thought.

Archived