• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest farstrep

The civil war finally ends.

rurouniks70_zps06ab5736.jpg

warisover71_zpsfd6607f6.jpg

Love this shot of Kenshin's bloody katana protruding from the "cemetery" of chaos and corpses. It looks like a tombstone in itself and suggests the katana has met its end on the battlefield that day too. And the shocked expression on Hajime's face as his mind registers the significance of what the Hitokiri Battousai has just done...

tombstone_zpsd5c3c472.jpg

The beginning of Kenshin's decade-long wandering days...

endofbeginning72_zps181ba48f.jpg

From the countless dead bodies on the frosty ground springs a life. But not the type of life we hope to see. Oh no! I foresee trouble for Kenshin later on in the series.

springslife_zps78033c93.jpg

I do love the opening scene. It draws one's attention immediately and it was so nicely shot too, the way it was presented couple with Kenshin's sword fighting scene. I'm also always fascinated how a sharp katana can cut the rifle guns into half. *Amazingly sharp* :o

It was a great opening and audiences will not want to miss the rest of the movie.

@Hanjae
Hahahahaha!!! In that case, I hope your brain is working to give us insightful / thoughtful reviews. :))

Guest farstrep

Love the musical score as Kenshin sails down the river. It's interesting to note that the Hitokiri Battousai of the yesteryear is filmed against a backdrop of gloomy blue but the current Kenshin is bathed in a cheery yellow.

samuraix_zps9fdfc721.jpg

The score also adds to the gravitas of the patriotic words the Admiral is saying. You can almost feel the national pride swelling in this scene.

salutead88_zps88e624f3.jpg

I love how the director focuses his shots on the happy people going about their daily chores peacefully safely as the Admiral's words "There will be happiness and stability all over!" resound in the background.

admiralspe75_zpsd5854a13.jpg

And the contented smile on Kenshin's smile as he observes everything around him? Priceless!! I can look at his smile forever and not get tired of it. :P *swoon* *swoon* :x :x

smilerk76_zps43d87e42.jpg

Guest farstrep

The villains do have a very manga feel to them. I love the actor portraying Kanryu. His hairstyle caught my attention first and reminded me of Professor Snape but without the height and cool sarcasm. Some may say his acting is too exaggerated but I beg to differ. I dare say he's simply too drunk on both money and power to adhere to the norms of acceptable human behavior. :P He's actually quite fun to watch but only when he's not taking up too much of my fave's screen time.

villain77_zps3c7dc166.jpg

Megumi, who has the ability to purify opium to the point it can bring the addicts a new high, resembles a Japanese courtesan. From her measured behavior and terse expression, it's clear the surroundings she is in is a hostile one. The fact she can survive for this long is a testament to her shrewdness, intelligence and strength. I hope her character will be developed more in the film later.

mefuh_zps69f820ee.jpg

Who's this masked man and what's his role in this movie? I don't see him featured much in the movie, though his mask reminds me of that guy in "V for Vendetta".

maskedman79_zpsf0cb31b6.jpg

Kanryu resembles GC. He treats people like toys, to be completely broken and destroyed when his interest in them fades or when he has no use for them. The music used here sounds so manga-like and is a huge contrast to the somber mood in this scene and serves to emphasize his sadistic and perverse nature. On another note, shouldn't he need more pharmacists for his opium business instead of killing them off? After all, he's intending to market it on a nationwide scale to earn massive profits, isn't he?

Love the rapid darting of Megumi's eyes as she  thinks of a way to turn the tables on her impending death and later, the restrained but horrified realization at Kanryu's ruthlessness. This is one person who does not place a premium on human lives at all. He's all "me, myself and I". She might have bought herself some time now but for how long is anybody's guess.

minimani_zps912fa20a.jpg

Guest farstrep

After that gloomy dreary scene, our eyes and ears are immediately assaulted by a bright cheery celebration and a wide array of colors. I suppose life still has to go on and the clock has to keep ticking, even with people's deaths and its ugly dealings at the side. Love the celebrations though. Full of vitality and life and Kenshin, with a wondrous look on his face as he enjoys the celebrations, is right smack in the middle of it. Kenshin! :x

celebration_zps0d65b646.jpg

HQ version of the scene

ken12_zpsf9c7932c.jpg

Somebody impersonating as the Battousai? What's his motive?

fakebatto83_zps5eb3d679.jpg

Guest farstrep

Swoon, people or the wrath of GC will descend upon you. Since it's Lunar New Year, we shall say more auspicious stuff.

S*W*O*O*N NOW, people at Himura Kenshin and you'll be blessed with good luck and truckloads of money for the entire year of 2013!!

kenshineatingdumplings9_zpse86dc8f5.jpg

His "oro" sounds so cute, especially when it's accompanied by his wide innocent eyes and deadly RS lips. Oh, how can he be a cold-blooded assassin with that clueless look and sunny disposition? :( I wonder how he maintains that "purity" in him without becoming twisted, especially when he has come into contact with the vilest and most disgusting humans ever.

With his ability to switch effortlessly between his "Hitokiri Battousai" ruthlessness and wide-eyed innocence, he would be deemed a schizophrenic if he ever enters through the portal to the Heavens. If only he can come, I will be the first to welcome him with open arms... :x  :x

On another note, I feel very hungry, looking at his delicious grilled dumplings. I want one too!!!

ororork8_zpsab8059ba.jpg

Feisty Kaoru foolishly attacking the "suspected" Battousai. If only she knew the truth, would she take to her feet instead of confronting him with her useless wooden sword? She's too eager to uphold law and justice to the point of being rash. But Kenshin looks so androgynous and his clothes so dirty and tattered, it's understandable why she might have thought she's perfectly capable of taking him on. But I have this nagging feeling she actually doesn't care if she loses her life, only because she's upholding an ideal she firmly believes in.

feistykaoaru33_zps305489f7.jpg

Kaoru and Kenshin's first encounter and Kenshin loses his grilled dumplings because of her. Sigh! I half suspect it's intentional. Look at how hungrily she's eyeing his grilled dumplings. :P

ororork827_zps3f483660.jpg

kenshinonthegroundbadkaoru_zps4f089b8b.j

@farstrep - Oh good, not too bad, then.  Awesome fight scene.  I know I don't have to bring Faith into this, but I probably will from time to time.  Recently saw a post-Faith interview with LMH and he said he wanted to move faster in the fight scenes but was told not to.  Had to concentrate on making his moves BIG.  I know slow motion is cool to watch, but fast has its merits.
@Hanjae - That's okay, I like pandas.  lol  

Guest farstrep

This is one huge mansion!! How does Kanryu even maintain its beauty and grandeur without it falling into disrepair? And is he doing some fish spa therapy before Goro graces the scene with his presence? I didn't realize fish spa therapy has a history dating back to the late 1800s.

niceplace84_zpsff87ad65.jpg

I still don't like the way he treats people like dogs. Nor the way he thinks he has the right to own people. A person who doesn't respect another's life has no right to deprive others of theirs. Not that one who respects another's life has the right though.

exsamurais85_zps62f4abe4.jpg

Is that a slow reaction or what? I don't think he's walking that quickly not to have heard what his subordinates are saying. Is that purely a "manga" moment? :(

megumiranawat86_zps2c35c2b3.jpg

Opps! A hitch in Kanryu's plans. Megumi's run away, possibly to spill the beans on his opium trades. Kanryu sends Jin'e after her.

jine87_zpsb96aead8.jpg

Archived