Guest farstrep

@dr25: Thanks. That's good to know. :)) I can't imagine Goro dying of cancer though.

@Yuuni: I repeat, I'm not a backstabber!!! :(I love both Daejung and Kenshin. My heart is big enough to accommodate two!!

I love this part of the film. It's so heartrending in more ways than one, for Kenshin and the poignancy and beauty of the scene is compounded by the gray backdrop caused by the falling raindrops.

Let's start with Kaoru. I love how she goes up to Kenshin with a smiling face and gentle voice. She does not know it but this is probably what Kenshin needs after his fight with Goro earlier. Because of his past, everyone has been treating him as a monster to be feared, a rival to be defeated or an object to be acquired to work for them. I doubt anyone has a smile to spare for him.

His "Hitokiri past" still fresh in his mind, Kenshin hesitates briefly at Kaoru's kind offer before he rejects it. Kaoru seems to be expecting that and hence, the firmer tone she uses with him to stop him in his tracks. I suspect she has done a lot of thinking prior to her waiting outside the jailhouse. She sees in the present Kenshin values she holds dear - "a sword that does not kill" and "a sword that protects" - and decides a person like this cannot be that bad. She understands everyone has a past. She also understands what has been done cannot be undone but that doesn't mean life has to stop moving forward because of it.

outofjail20_zps3969bda4.jpg

For Kenshin, he is surprised to see Kaoru braving the heavy rain to wait for him. He gently rejects her offer because firstly, he isn't expecting any reciprocation on her part. Secondly, he is, after all, a "hitokiri".

Kaoru has hit the nail on the head with her short speech about his past as a "Hitokiri Battousai". Despite his vow and whatnot, Kenshin has never really moved on with his life for the past ten years. For one, he still defines himself as a "hitokiri".

Unlike others' literal understanding of the word "hitokiri" - manslayer, this is more of a term of guilt and hence, pain and angst to him. He concedes that he has sinned too terribly in the past and despite his actively helping others for the past decade, he still cannot find it in his heart to forgive himself. I guess it doesn't help that others, especially his enemies, never let him forget who he once was and what he's done in the past.

While he has no problems with helping others and would do so at the expense of his life, he does not expect or accept the same from others. I suspect for most part of the time, his guilt (and perhaps fear for their safety) has him keeping everyone at arm's length to avoid forming an emotional attachment to them. Moreover, he doesn't believe he deserves anything good happening to him or developing fruitful relationships with anyone. I suppose this is why he's more appreciative than normal of every kind gesture dished out to him. I also suspect his state of poverty is deliberate because he doesn't think he deserves the same pleasures in life as the others who have done no wrong in their lives.

In retrospect, he might be trying to protect himself as well. To have people he's grown fond of and spiritually dependent on ultimately turn against him, for whatever reason, must hurt him very much too.

This scene makes me wonder when is one considered truly redeemed? Others forgiving one for what he's done in the past? Or he forgiving himself for what he's done in the past?

The pause with which he takes to look at Kaoru's umbrella is exceptionally long. He appears to be reconciling his feelings with her unexpected move. A move which is made, even after she knows of his true identity. He can't believe there's actually a person in this world who does not shun or judge him on his infamous past but instead, accept him for who he is.

staringatumbrella95_zps1b77c682.jpg

I would consider this scene the turning point in Kenshin's life. Even though Kaoru has taken the first step in embracing the present Kenshin, she can only do this much for him. It's still ultimately up to Kenshin to make a real difference to his life with the second chance Kaoru has given him. And he does, taking his first step forward in life by accepting her umbrella. :x :x

It's significant that the items that Kaoru hands him offer Kenshin some sort of protection. The umbrella, an item that can shield him from the forces of nature ie. rain and the dojo, a place which can provide him with protection from the weather elements and also "mentally".

nonjudgemen198_zpsf79c2091.jpg

“If a person seems wicked, do not cast him away. Awaken him with your words, elevate him with your deeds, repay his injury with your kindness. Do not cast him away; cast away his wickedness.”

- Lao Tzu

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest farstrep

Anyone here loves the kid? Despite his age, short stature and diminutive size, he's behaving so much like an adult, taking on the responsibility of caring for Kaoru and Megumi. And the way he introduces himself as the Sempai (Senior) to Kenshin? It had me laughing for ages. Does he even know who he is talking to?

yahikokid22_zpsca58bda2.jpg

How many times have I used the word "love"? :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x I love love love how Kenshin actually kneels down such that he's eye level with the kid before shaking his hand? Humility? Sensitivity? Respect? Or purely good manners? Whatever his reason, I'll take it. It also shows how sincere he is in accepting the introduction, even in the capacity as a junior. I reckon the kid doesn't expect that as well and his shocked eyes, surprised pause and short "wo" say it all. :P

shakehands23_zpsebf52b7c.jpg

However, with Megumi, he doesn't kneel at all. Which I thought is appropriate. It would be too odd if he does that, as if he's fawning over her. On another note, I love the way she sashays her way through the place as if she owns it and turns on her vixen mode (through her voice) while speaking to Kenshin. And the look on Kaoru's face... :))

shakinghand24_zpsb90ba546.jpg

Yuuni said:

On another note, I feel very hungry, looking at his delicious grilled dumplings. I want one too!!!
Hahaha... @ farstrep ! I never saw you fangirling like that on Daejang in Goryeo land, I didn't know you have it in you ! :))Oh and by the way, you're definitely a backstabber. :P
edit : why is my post in the quote ? :(

Guest farstrep

Finally, a new attire. Clean clothes. And a bath, I hope. :P The peaceful smile on his face that speaks of his frame of mind at that moment. The wind lovingly caresses his cheeks, ruffles his red-tinted hair and seems to lift his angst and guilt off his shoulders. :x And for a brief moment, he looks as if he's free from his past. The music that accompanies this scene is serene but so full of hope that I cannot help but feel a surge of excitement and happiness for Kenshin. Finally, he has a place to stay permanently. His philosophy "A sword that does not kill" is now truly entwined with the dojo's philosophy "A sword that protects".

It's such a simple but powerful scene and so carefully directed and filmed. I watched it numerous times, even more than that of the entire film itself. :x  And the thing is, I know I will never get tired of watching it. Not one bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIgtXdTj18s&feature=share&list=UUyPIyXd_OXotGiDTOrT_SPA

Interestingly, this scene is taken with the earth as the background. The earth is the source of life for all but also sees to the end of life itself. It seems to suggest that even the earth is witness to his transition to a new phase in his life and waving bye bye to his wandering days.

rkenshin11_zps198d9e6a.jpg

However, the wide expanse of earth that Kenshin is standing on is barren and littered with dried yellow and brown leaves. Just as it is difficult for a barren ground to birth new plant life, it is also an arduous path he is taking in reconciling his new life with his past as a "Hitokiri Battousai", in executing his present values without returning to his roots. It's impossible for him to cast aside the demons of his past because he's made too many enemies in his days as a Battousai and too many are after his services for their vested interests. Already, we witness the first hint of the internal conflict (protecting his loved ones without killing anyone vs taking lives for the sake of protecting his loved ones) that is going to plague Kenshin constantly for the rest of the film.

This is just what I thought of at the moment. You guys might read it differently.

I love how many times Kenshin has said かたじけない (katajikenai) throughout the movie. :))
He's so appropriate and good mannered.

@myphim
Yup, I agreed with @Yuuni too that I've also never seen @farstrep fangirl soooo much. Not even in Faith thread! She was so restrained back then and when we swoon during recap, she has said nothing. :)) :))

Guest farstrep

Where are @kappy, @Hanjae?????!!!!!

Ignore the subs. I took this off a trailer because my other screen cap came out blurred. The way Kenshin eyes Kaoru when she asks after Megumi's background appears a bit sharper than usual? Perhaps he thinks it's not the right time and place to pry into her private affairs, especially it's clear that she doesn't wish to talk about it. An evasive Megumi cleverly deflects Kaoru's questions by making use of her jealousy against her and deliberately resting her cheek against Kenshin.

ignoresubs27_zps3058d425.jpg

One thing that amazes me in this film is how easily Kaoru and Yahiko take in two random strangers without much wariness at all. Now I am beginning to understand why. Kaoru and Yahiko are essentially good people, who also see the good in others. In short, they are rooted in their faith in people. They are not afraid of giving second chances to outcasts or mysterious strangers because they understand "everyone has a past they wish to erase". For Kaoru and Yahiko, what's important is the now and not their past. And it helps that Megumi and Kenshin are trying to do something right with their lives now.

Much as Kaoru constantly probes into Megumi's background but does not get any answers, Kaoru never thinks to cast her out of the dojo but allows her to stay with them. Intuitively, she senses that Megumi has no other family or relatives she can depend on or she would have run into their arms right away instead of staying with at the dojo. Despite Kaoru's constant probing, Megumi never once expresses any irritation at her. One can argue she has to put up with Kaoru because she is a guest at her dojo but I would like to think she understands Kaoru means no harm with her questions. She is merely being concerned about Megumi's well-being. After all, Kaoru holds family ties in high regard. She had a very close relationship with her father when he was alive and til now, still respects him tremendously and constantly holds him in her memory. Hence, she thinks Megumi or anyone else for that matter, would wish to live with their family or relatives instead of a stranger's dojo and feeling out of place or lonely there.

As for Kenshin, he desperately needs to be smothered with some motherly love. :P Haha. :D:)) :x

thequartet_zps086b1756.jpg

I notice Kaoru always has a smile reserved for Kenshin, who is a tad unused to it. There is an acute wonder in his voice as he says "Delicious" after tasting the food. Perhaps it is sweeter and more delicious now, because he is in the company of people whom he can count as friends?

Whenever Kenshin appears more appreciative of the normal things around him than usual, as if every single thing he experiences is a gift to be savored and enjoyed, I actually feel sad for him than happy. Only because he always makes me feel as if every happy experience he goes through is going to be the last for him. And what makes me even sadder is these are things which we have long taken for granted and probably already lost our feelings/appreciation for.

touchedor28_zps274e8076.jpg

Suddenly, I have this urge to hug everyone and say thank you for accompanying yours truly on this special movie night.

392.gif

Guest farstrep

@sia3, @myphim, @Yuuni: I have no idea what about Kenshin makes me swoon so. I suppose love is blind. :P

Over-the-top villain Kanryu enters the eating house, looking for Megumi or Kenshin? No matter how much he tries to emulate style and class, the brutish manner in which he acts and carries out things says otherwise.

overthetop29_zpsbcd4caad.jpg

Anyhow, Kanryu finds Kenshin and introduces himself to him, hoping to lure him into working for him. But he doesn't realize Kenshin has washed his hands off killing human lives. He doesn't know Kenshin has an abhorrence for people who bully the weak. Apparently, money can't buy everything in the world, especially true talents with firm moral values.

kenshinineatinghouse34_zps59ca807d.jpg

On another note, Kenshin mutters that Kanryu's being rude when he throws money at him and ruins his meal. Kenshin really has got this big thing for manners, doesn't he?

throwingmoneyatkenshin_zpse4c2a1c5.jpg

Is it physically possible to wield such a big weapon?
ibn4prKpuZcdHH.jpg

Oh you girls jumped the scene with Kanryu.
I hate him, he ruined Kenshin's good meal. It not only looked delicious (I'm hungry) and it's also very very rude of him! X( X(
I want to beat him up! It would have been difficult back then to actually have a satisfiable delicious good meal (esp. with Kenshin wandering years) and he disrespectfully ruined the whole mood! Errr.... ignore me, I love food and I hate seeing people ruining good food esp. Japanese food! ~"~

Guest farstrep

Where is @shengvang? Has she not yet returned home? People, don't sneak off and think I've no idea. I've got my eyes on you. Muahaahwahahah!!! Kidding. :P

Why do fights always occur on the bridge? A fight between Sanosuke with his Zanbato, an antique from the Onin War, and Kenshin. And won't his arm or back break from swinging that Zanbato over his head?

bridgefight10_zps8aee6922.png

Sanosuke's quite an interesting character and a huge contrast to the soft-spoken, mild-mannered Kenshin. Very brash, brazen and loud-mouthed but seems dependable enough.

noisysanosuke_zpsb1ece7b3.jpg

sanosuke126_zpsc57a167d.jpg

fightcontd34_zps25368a31.jpg

Guest farstrep

@Anomalous: Thanks for your help!! :) :x

For one who vows not to take another human life, I am disappointed that Kenshin actually runs into the crowd instead of away from it to avoid fighting with Sanosuke. Can he ensure that no innocent onlooker gets hurt in the process? Sure, he's omnipotent but still...

publicfight32_zps099498e6.jpg

Love this shot. The boat docked by the bank, the overhanging branches and leaves and the shimmering water... Sorry, my LQ picture did not do this shot any justice. @myphim might have made a gif out of this.

river33_zpsa20fabaa.jpg

After watching the entire scene, it occurred to me that the fight might have been filmed on the bridge for a reason. A bridge is used as a means to get across an obstacle and can be seen as a symbolism for the critical point in Sanosuke's life ie. whether he is able to cross over from his past life as a "fighter-for-hire" to a new life of fighting for honor and integrity, and using his Zanbato to protect the weak. Sanosuke is not all brawns and no brains. When Kenshin appeals to his humanity and logic to give up the fight, he actually mulls over Kenshin's speech before making a choice of not fighting Kenshin. Note he's the one to make this decision. Nobody makes it for him. And because of that, he's crossed over to the "other side" successfully. Kaoru makes a difference in Kenshin's life and now Kenshin in Sanosuke's? "Pay It Forward" anyone? :P I'm impressed Kenshin makes him do all that without drawing his Sakabato at all. But what's with that knowing look on Kenshin's face when he leaves the bridge?

Kenshin is so polite to apologize to Kaoru for getting into some trouble. And how easily she brushes it aside and urges him to continue with his meal. I was a tad disappointed at this scene though. I thought the camera would show us her reaction to his apology. It feels so odd, looking at her back view and fishing for any sign of a reaction from her. It doesn't help that her back view is so stiff that it doesn't speak anything to me. Nada. :( I almost burst into tears at this omission.

Alright, I confess. I just want to see her smile at Kenshin again. The poor boy deserves more smiles in his life. If only I can superimpose smileys on every character's face in this film, that would be great. \m/

apology36_zps2be0e5f7.jpg

Kanryu affirms that Kenshin is the real deal and that he can't be bought over with money. That bad egg!! What is he planning to do next? Should we activate the Stabbing Brigade?

baddie37_zps01bfaaa9.jpg

Archived