buguz said: I have been a loyal to Rurouni Kenshin the manga since its very first publish way back in 1996, and ever since, I've reread it too many times, enough to remember every move of his Hiten Mitsurugi-ryū, and his lines. It's an epic to me, in every way, so much that I refuse to watch the anime until today because I don't like the way anime tends to focus more on the action parts. 

The rest of the cast did a phenomenal task to me, especially Emi Takei as Kaoru and Yosuke Eguchi as Saito Hajime. Takei was even better than the Kaoru I remember, more determined esp. with her eyes and less girly i.e. whining. Eguchi was excellent in delivering the vibe of Hajime, my second favorite character in the manga! Threatening, hella sure of his purpose in life, and the never-bowed-to-power attitude. His sword stance was badass too!!

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@myphim
Yay, I'm here >:D<! I'm still lurking around you know, just getting ready for New Year :))
Kaoru needed to be light-headed and true to the innocence of a 19 year old girl, who was raised believing that peace is an equal opportunity and that swordsmanship is only created to uphold that ideal. I know that many many many of the fans don't like Kaoru, first compared to Megumi, and second  to Tomoe but I found her character amiable and soothing.  Kenshin has been through too much hardship, too many external and internal struggles, so it makes sense when he chose the one that could not possibly add in any more dramas to his life :)
I like Megumi character a lot as well, esp. when she's not shipped with Kenshin lol! A determined young physician who was also forced to work against of her ideal and personality. She is intelligent, strong and very clever to know which way the wind blows so that she could survive.  To Megumi, surviving means having a chance to go back and correct what she's done to be the doctor she wanted to be.  In this way, she's very similar to Kenshin, which I think is the exact reason why Kenshin didn't pick her.  To him, she's more like a sister :D

Continuation definition of terms:
Shishi (志士; sometimes known as 維新志士 Ishin-shishi) was a term used to describe Japanese political activists of the late Edo period. The term shishi literally translates as "men of high purpose." While it is usually applied to the anti-shogunate, pro-sonnō jōi (尊王攘夷; "Revere the Emperor, Expel the Barbarian") samurai primarily from the southwestern clans of Satsuma, Chōshū, and Tosa, the term shishi is also used by some with reference to supporters of the shogunate who held similar sonnō jōi views.
Shin no IppouThe Shin no Ippou feeds off people's fears. If they are afraid, the technique can either paralyze or choke them to death. However, the technique can also be shaken off. It can also be used to hypnotize the user, bringing out his full power.User(s): Udou Jin'e (used in the last fight scene on Kaoru)

Preferably read this during the final fight scene between Kenshin and Udou Jin'e:

Finally, the technique used in the final scene, as explained by Kenshin himself:

Ryūtsuisen \龍槌閃, Dragon Hammer Flash) - From a position higher than one's opponent (usually initiated by a powerful jump), one uses the momentum of the fall to strengthen a two-handed sword swing that brings the blade down on the opponent's head or shoulder.
Sōryūsen (双龍閃, Twin Dragon Flash) - Seemingly a simple Battōjutsu strike, Sōryūsen is the first of Hiten Mitsurugi-ryū's two-step Battōjutsu moves. After the first strike with the quickened sword, the user wields the empty sheath along the same path as a blunt weapon. After the sword strike lands, the sheath strike delivers a pulverizing blow capable of crushing bone and shattering wood, but if the sword strike misses, the sheath strike acts as powerful insurance, preventing an opponent's attack and delivering a crushing blow when it's least expected. This move is first seen being used by Kenshin against Udō Jin-e - crushing his elbow bone and the muscles surrounding the joint, and succeeds in ending Jin-e's life as a swordsman. And probably is the reason why, when Kenshin does not kill him (after being begged by Kaoru), Jin-e performs harakiri (suicide).

Guest farstrep

welcomeAnimation.gif

Rurouni_Kenshin_zps7f20f06c.jpg
                      Rurouni Kenshin Live Action Movie Night

Hi @farstrep. I'm on mobile, and just dropping in to see what's going on in RK. Movie night starts in another hour right? Although it's actually morning for me LOL. May not actively join in as I have to attend a seminar this morning. But will be dropping by now and

then. ;)

Guest farstrep

@azzurri: I was surprised when I saw you. I thought you could finally make it. :P Enjoy your seminar.

It's going to start in an hour but nobody's here yet. I suppose they will start streaming in in another half an hour's time. Thank you for all the information you've posted here. I've been reading it but still unable to commit it to memory. I'll still get confused about some terms from time to time. The bane of being a newbie to RK. :P

Just a note to those who are joining us for movie night:

There might be a mix of HQ and LQ screen caps. Apologies. The video I took the screen caps from is not of too high a quality, so whenever possible, I took screen caps of the scenes in the various trailers I found online.

I have not read the manga or watched the anime, so if there are any silly questions that I've posed that are already answered in the anime or manga or my analysis is completely off the tangent, my apologies. My comments are based purely on my perception of the movie.

I've mentioned I would be only taking screen caps of scenes that interest me but there are far too many of them. Therefore, my posts might be delayed due to the huge number of screen caps. or maybe not. We'll see. #-o

PS. Give a holler if you are here, so I know if everyone's present and whether to start at the stipulated time or not.

http://youtu.be/rIgtXdTj18s

Guest farstrep

@Yuuni: Everyone's running late today. Are they too busy with New Year stuff?

EDIT:

@myphim: You needn't make caps when you've done up so many many gifs. :) But thank you so much for helping out. Nobody's here yet, except for @Yuuni.

Hello moviegoers. :))
I didn't have enough time, I could only make caps for half of the movie. ;))
At least the gifs were completed yesterday. :))

This movie is really beautiful to look at. :x

@farstrep : I think... =/Did you finish all your insightful posts for tonight ? :DI liked the one you posted on the Ghost Sweepers thread, but I guess the one about Kenshin will be even better.
Did you prepare all you snacks too ? LOL

Guest Anomalous

I am here, but I need to go gather snacks and drink. How long will this movie be? Is it another 7 hours long recap? :))  By the way, Kenshin is so adorkable. He's what Daejang should have been. :D

Guest farstrep

@Yuuni: You mean the commentary of the movie or the posts I posted after the movie night itself? Yes, I've completed my entire commentary for this film but I reckon with all your posts today, I might find new stuff to ponder about. So post as many comments as you can about the scenes.

No snacks for me since I will be too busy copying and pasting my commentary onto the thread. :P

@Anomalous: Last time we had a movie night, it lasted for 3-4 hours for a 2-hour movie.

@Hanjae: Hello!!! :-h Oh, where did you go?

Oh, where's everyone?

EDIT:
@myphim and @everyone: According to the time stamp on my post, it's 12:02am. We'll start the movie in another 15 minutes, which is 12:17 am. We can't start too late because the Europe team needs to go to bed early and the Asia-Pacific team needs to get their red packets.

Hello!! I'm here too :) already finished movie and I loved it and I even had no idea about comic and stuff (Japanese movies/dramas are not close to me).

Archived