Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

On 3/23/2022 at 6:28 PM, kittyna said:

Not sure about Korea either - in North America, movie releases tend to correspond to things like holidays (e.g. horror close to Halloween) or when kids have time off school. One thing I do know, however, is that most of the big guns (i.e. the ones expected to be blockbusters or award contenders) tend to be released near the end of the year (late October through Christmas). That way, they get to take advantage of people's having time off for Christmas and New Year, and still be fresh in the minds of the powers that be when award nominations start rolling out.

The one thing I do know about Korea and Japan, though, is that their horror movie season is in summer, whereas (as I've already said), it's fall where I am. I never really knew why that was the case, though - anyone?

On 3/23/2022 at 7:45 AM, Tongtong said:

I don’t know the peak season for movie release in Korea/Singapore. Guess its usually mid or year end. In Singapore, many korean (and Japanese) movies are not shown in theaters. That’s because they usually launched movies on cable channels or now netflix. 

Thank you all for whatever you know about this..I do not have much idea either because theses days I do not really follow much around a movie unless my favorite in it. 

May we will have to see when few of these major movies gets released to see when their peaks are.

On 3/23/2022 at 7:45 AM, Tongtong said:

Yippppeeeee I just read from a site - “ On March 23rd  Joo Won ( yes! Joo Won) has received the offer to star in the new historical action drama titled "Milju." Accordingly He has not yet made his decision but he is positively reviewing the offer. 

"Milju" is an action drama that tells the story of the competition between organizations over alcohol in the Joseon Dynasty.

I came over because I saw a similar post on Instagram. Of course, they're still in talks now, so nothing's set in stone yet - although, given JW's track record, he and his agency don't seem to allow any casting news to come out until they're almost entirely sure - but if it does pan out, and this turns out to be the "serious" sageuk that it sounds like it's gonna be...sign me up! I've been wanting to see JW in both a serious sageuk (i.e. not a fusion or rom-com like My Sassy Girl) and a cable drama, so I think it would definitely be interesting

Aaaaand yeeee :partyblob:

Guys, whether he'll receive it or not...at least we have a news. It high time we get a drama confirmation.. The way JW as free of Carter at least since January. He's taking his sweet time to confirm things.

I personally don't like Sageuk.. I really enjoyed MSG because of it's fusion style directing and also Joo Won was too adorable there. If I need rom-com and sageuk to see that kind of face I'm in all favour of him choosing to do rom-com/sageuk in between some intense project.

But this time it's action sageuk with secret organization running around... while idea seems interesting it will be awesome to see Joo Won in serious sowrd fighting.

but..

On 3/24/2022 at 10:37 PM, qynn said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Joo Won in a sageuk but there was already one sageuk this year about bootleg alcohol. I swear the industry must come up with a theme list or something. This will apparently be more action while Moonshine was a fusion rom-com, but dramas with similar premises tend to have underwhelming results IMO.

Like @qynnsaid Moonshine synopsis gives us pretty good idea what the new drama could be about and  the idea isn't fresh. Moon Shine probably just ended very recently. So it could be underwhelming specially if done close to Moonshine.  So I'm suddenly skeptical whether Joo Won will receive it unless the script and characters there were too good to pass by.

And hello @qynn Good to see someone new in this forum. :)

Also I'm also skeptical about Studio Santa response this time. They didn't just say 'It's under review but nothing is decided yet." They said "Actor Joo Won has been offered appearance in 'Milju'. It's just  one among other work proposal he received."

That's a pretty different response than the standard one they do. Just my opinion but to me it seems a bit tactical or diplomatic response. It seemed like JW hasn't deeply thought about this project yet. News came too early or something. He could be considering other projects so they had mention that it's one among other projects he has been offered. 

And this response news came after the first news that said "Joo Won is positively reviewing whether to appear or not."

Am I thinking too much.. Let me know after I translate both the news here. Because I've seen sometimes some lines get omitted in auto translation. It gives better result when it's translated line by line.

[EDIT] Sorry, @flutterby06 - didn't see you'd already translated it. But you guys get the idea ;)

By all mean that's never a problem. :wink:

• Like 3

Joo Won and Kwak Jung-hwan's new work 'Milju'  casting... Return to home theatre after 2 years

[OSEN=Reporter Kim Bo-ra] Actor Joo-won has been cast in the new drama 'Milju' (working title).

As a result of OSEN coverage on 23rd, Joo Won recently received an offer from director Kwak Jung-hwan. Although Joo Won has not yet made a final decision, he is positively reviewing whether to appear or not.

'Milju' is a chase action drama depicting a bout between bloody and goal-scoring organizations over alcohol in the Joseon Dynasty. Joo Won is expected to return to the CRT after 2 years after the drama 'Alice' (2020).

FOft8UkagAAZ7VN?format=jpg&name=small

Director of: 'Chuno' (2010) 'Fugitive Plan.B' (2010) 'Pasketball' (2013) 'Neighborhood Hero' (2016) 'THE K2' (2016) 'Miss Hammurabi' (2018) 'Aide' (2019) series, etc., the drama will be directed by director Kwak Jeong-hwan, raising expectations.

Director Kwak is expected to hold a megaphone for the first time in a year after the drama 'Fly to Gaecheon-yong' (2021) and meet viewers again, so this time around, the small screen box office success is expected.

The production will be carried out by Lotte Cultureworks' drama division, and filming is scheduled to begin in the second half of this year. We are discussing tvN programming, and the first broadcast date has not been decided.

.................End of First news.....................

Link: http://osen.mt.co.kr/article/G1111792614

Joo Won's side "'Milju' is one of the works that were suggested"

[Joy News 24 Correspondent Kim Ji-young] Actor Joo-won was offered the drama 'Milju'.

On the 23rd, the agency's studio Santa Claus Entertainment told JoyNews24, "Actor Joo Won was offered the role of 'Milju'," and "It's just one of the works that have been suggested."

2d6d49732a0ce4.jpg

The new drama 'Milju', which is known to be in discussion with tvN, is a chase action drama depicting a bout between bloody and goal-scoring organizations over alcohol in the Joseon Dynasty. Director Kwak Jeong-han, who directed JTBC dramas 'Miss Hammurabi' and 'Aide', catches the megaphone.

Joo Won, who worked with Kim Hee-sun in the 2020 drama 'Alice', attention is focused on whether he will appear in 'Milju' and meet viewers in a new way.

..............End of 2nd news which was made in response to the one before............

Link: https://www.joynews24.com/view/1462862

Translation with the help of Google Translation.

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

Dear Chingus

Just curious how this engagement works - is JW attached to a SBS TV contract for a number of years or as a freelancer, he can just transfer to any TV station ? 

I have never paid attention to all these until now that I saw the bootleg alcohol is under TVN.. Am just interested in anything Wonnie. Lol. 
Stay well! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Tongtong said:

Dear Chingus

Just curious how this engagement works - is JW attached to a SBS TV contract for a number of years or as a freelancer, he can just transfer to any TV station ? 

I have never paid attention to all these until now that I saw the bootleg alcohol is under TVN.. Am just interested in anything Wonnie. Lol. 
Stay well! 

First of all correct me if I am understanding your question wrong.

In my understanding you are saying whether Joo Won was under a contract with SBS and now the contract is over he is now moving on to tvN?

If your question is related to something along the line then.. No, Joo Won isn't in any contract with SBS nor he was previously with KBS. That's not how drama production works.From my observation usually TV drama productions in South Korea happen in two ways- one is the dramas get produced directly under  broadcasting station like KBS, SBS , MBC, tvN, JTBC etc. And another is like a production house/or producer take the initiative of a drama and arrange story, team and other resources and contact a Broadcasting station to be the broadcaster of the drama. Sometimes those can be joint production too.

If you're under the impression that JW kept working with SBS because of contract it isn't the case. The first SBS drama JW did was 'Yongpal' it was work proposed to him and he received it. Next one 'My Sassy Girl' is a work from the same production director and I think the script was from a story writer winner from SBS story writing contest. And JW just won Grand Prize from SBS after his first appearance there so it wasn't unusual that he chose this work with same network, same PD and same station. He's the type to be loyal and also it was his chance to finally work on a Sageuk drama. And last SBS work 'Alice'- we know he received at least 50 scripts and chose one that's again coincidentally with SBS. But he did have choice to pick from other stations' work.

The fact JW kept working with either SBS or KBS isn't because any contract more because these broadcasting stations/their PDs keept persuing him and specially the one who previously he worked with like SBS and KBS may actually have more connection and access with his management and there's a sense of trust when you work with domestic big networks like KBS/SBS/MBC which are like national channels for South Korea and can be freely watched by all as long as there's TV network in an area. And also they are broadcasting for a long time with established and reliable networking.

Though we don't have confirmation news yet but 'Bootleg Liquor' is the second type of drama production where Lotte Culture Works drama division (production house) is the producer of this drama and they're currently in talk with tvN cannle for broadcast of this drama. Lotte is asking tvN to be the distributor of their drama. But it could always change broadcasting station/ or go to ott platform like Netflix, kakao TV, wavve etc if tvN and Lotte do not come into agreement.

Whatever broadcasting project Joowon ends up working with it will be because his contract is with the said drama production from filming to it's promotion time until air, not really for a contract with the broadcasting TV Station for a duration of time.

I hope it answers your question. Kindly question again if you do not understand.

Edited by flutterby06
There were too many typos.
  • Like 4

EVENT: My Corner of Soompi

Spring edition of My Corner of Soompi is here! Do let us know what you've been up to and what you're looking forward to as we're heading towards summer.

Bring yourself and some snacks to the thread, as we sip on our tea together. :kiss_wink:

tea party GIF by VH1

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @agenth @Sleepy Owl @confusedheart

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

@Tongtong glad to help.

Btw, How are you and Family?

Hope well.

Today there's an IG story update from Joo Won. It uploaded picture of a bowl of shrimps.. may be he's gonna eat those.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CbpW-6SvSrv/?utm_medium=copy_link

Also fans are probably waiting for him to update something related to the jtbc music shot 'Hot Singers'. But so far nothing about those.

And there's this beautiful fan edited clip from My Sassy Girl drama I found on IG. Love it. So lovely.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbnpaC7tMlr/?utm_medium=copy_link

Also another interesting thing.. Carter plushie.. This is so freaking cute.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbCaKcprpw-/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Like 3

@flutterby06

Family and I are keeping well. Its no mask outdoor with effect from today in Singapore. Interesting days ahead as the country reopens. 
Oh, loved the MSG video! They made a very charming couple indeed  - compatible in terms of looks, age and heights. Thanks for sharing the plushies on IG too.. kawaii! 
Recently I made a one liner ( positive haha) reply comment on the xx most popular actors on the m_l site. Some readers like myself were surprised JW not on the top 25 list. Hence the lovely writer thought of getting us readers to write a section about Wonnie. Eg actor’s qualities, convinced others to watch his drama etc. I believe the writer will do same for other readers whose favourites  were excluded in the list. 
My heart (stuck in a middle aged body ) missed a beat! Lol.  Good looks aside, my family and I love his wholesome package of humility, loyalty, respect and versatile talents. Oh wow, too shy to articulate this to others non wonnie fans. Nevertheless, appreciate such a lovely gesture from the writer. 

• Like 4

On 3/29/2022 at 7:41 AM, Tongtong said:

@flutterby06

Family and I are keeping well. Its no mask outdoor with effect from today in Singapore. Interesting days ahead as the country reopens. 
Oh, loved the MSG video! They made a very charming couple indeed  - compatible in terms of looks, age and heights. Thanks for sharing the plushies on IG too.. kawaii! 
Recently I made a one liner ( positive haha) reply comment on the xx most popular actors on the m_l site. Some readers like myself were surprised JW not on the top 25 list. Hence the lovely writer thought of getting us readers to write a section about Wonnie. Eg actor’s qualities, convinced others to watch his drama etc. I believe the writer will do same for other readers whose favourites  were excluded in the list. 
My heart (stuck in a middle aged body ) missed a beat! Lol.  Good looks aside, my family and I love his wholesome package of humility, loyalty, respect and versatile talents. Oh wow, too shy to articulate this to others non wonnie fans. Nevertheless, appreciate such a lovely gesture from the writer. 

I think as a whole Joo Won fans are more of lurkers. So now that these days he is quieter than usual so are we. When he is very active I'm sure we'll see more fans being vocal about their adoration for Joowon and his acting.

Best wishes for you people there at Singapore. :)

I just recently read an interesting post on DC where someone shared he saw Joowon during military and another one commented too saying same. They have nothing but adoration for Joowon. It's a short conversation but I love it. :selfie:

I feel so excited just watching that post.. I don't know why I like his military days story so much.. is it because he did so damn well and made fans proud or is it because I actively joined fangirling during that time.. may be it's both..

I will translate it soon. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

@flutterby06 I also read that post from Dc. Actually many people who have seen jw in real life said the same, he's really handsome and has small face. I also read another account on naver, the writer wrote about his memory during training period and he was in the same division with JW for a short period of time. He said jw was friendly but not always for the first meeting. When the writer met JW, jw kept silent and didn't join any conversation. Until one day, he talked directly to JW and told JW talk to him like a friend. And JW become much more open the next day. He thought that maybe jw felt a little uncomfortable with him, and kept silent. But after breaking the silence , he became closer to JW, and they spent quite a lot of time together. He was also supprised that JW enjoyed drinking coffee (this detail we are not supprised as we already know JW loves coffee). He said that JW is the type of person who will keep silent for the first time or meeting if everything is new to him, JW tends to listen and think more than talking. Only when he feels comfortable, he will open his heart and start to join with you. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, Coco2000 said:

@flutterby06 I also read that post from Dc.

Glad I'm not the only one in stalker mode because that's like one of the latest  posts on DC about Uri Joo Won. :lol:

Do you have a link of this naver account that you mentioned? If it's available please send me. I'd love to read it.

8 hours ago, Coco2000 said:

He said that JW is the type of person who will keep silent for the first time or meeting if everything is new to him, JW tends to listen and think more than talking. Only when he feels comfortable, he will open his heart and start to join with you. 

That's so Joo Won like you know.. it's not really easy the open up to regular people when one is celebrity. Like who knows how one will take him at first meeting.. so I can see Joo Won being cautious specially among boys very younger than him. 

But we do know how he found some good friends in his army life. Both Elder and younger friends.. remember how his senior from army kept commenting in his IG live.. Some of the photos among his army mates showed how much they love. There's a younger group of friends from white skull unit.. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnGvcrJnK_4/?utm_medium=copy_link

A part of caption said-

"junwonihyung gwa aideul"

Translation: With Junwoni Hyung and kids/boys

Makes me really wonder how Joo Won is as a older Hyung among a group of younger boys.. we know he is very good at being maknae but to be the eldest in a group.. they'll probably have the most supportive yet strict Hyung ever..may be.

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chingus! Trust all are well.
 Just saw this -

“On April 22, several media outlets shared that Joo Won got the offer to lead the upcoming drama Karma 7 joseon notices.

Joo Won's agency revealed that the actor is currently reviewing the casting offer. Show will revolve around the preservation policy of the Cultural Heritage Administration and a cultural property team of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency. The story will unfold as they recover the hidden cultural assets of the country. JooWon got the offer to play the role of an official at the Cultural Heritage Administration.”  Whoopeeee!  Hope all super great for JooWon. Miss his acting muchly! 

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone.

In my country it's 12:20 am. So it's Joo Won's 12th public debut anniversary.. congratulations Uri dearest Joowon. :partyblob:

20100715082620114.jpg

From his first TV appearance Baker king to yet to be released movie Carter, Joowon has came a long way, capturing our admiration for his acting and adoration for who he is as a whole.

FJa-6OVWQAA4Ywq?format=jpg&name=small

12 years of hardwork, many more years to go..:heart1:

In celebration of the event Joowon will be doing a vlive session tomorrow at Seoul time 3 pm.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeNZQNWJVIA/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Who's watching it real time? I know @Coco2000 will. I will try to but he will be live on a time when I'm supposed to be occupied. Not that complaining, a vlive is lone overdue. Hoping somehow it won't too busy tomorrow for me so I can watch and enjoy.

https://www.vlive.tv/schedule/1-22374

IF you watch the vlive let us know here how it goes for you.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

@flutterby06 Thanks muchly for the links. I didn’t manage to see JW vlive. Did he announce about Carter premiere and update on  drama offers?
Just saw photos on his insta. Delighted to see him so chillaxed! Looks like he had a fantastic ( much needed) breakaway from the Carter character. Excellent self care! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, Tongtong said:

@flutterby06 Thanks muchly for the links. I didn’t manage to see JW vlive. Did he announce about Carter premiere and update on  drama offers?
Just saw photos on his insta. Delighted to see him so chillaxed! Looks like he had a fantastic ( much needed) breakaway from the Carter character. Excellent self care! 

You're welcome.

Yeah.. it's really good to see him chillaxed like you said. And do I have to say that he looked absolutely dashing in simple clothing strolling on a nice weather. 

Thankfully I could watch it live. 

FUyo5GJVEAAWEun?format=jpg&name=medium

As much as I miss him I love to see him focusing on himself. I don't know I think sometimes celebrities need to be away from focus so they can be away from complexity, pressure and negativity that tags along with their profession. I love how Joo Won carry and manage himself and strict on his principles. So it's good to see him in good condition.. all smiley.. specially it's been long he did vlive outdoor. He was in newly prepared Joo Won Forest that was the gift from Joo Won fans on occasion of 12th anniversary of his debut.

He didn't say anything vital but he made it clear that we'll get see good news(Carter, next work) if we be a bit more patient. Things are going as they're planned he can't share much for the time being.

Check out above thread for today's vlive tid bits.. I will try to share full version on here when I can properly sit at my laptop with vlive.

• Like 3

Thanks for the updates, guys! JW posted some pics from this on his Instagram as well: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cek1pwZJb89/

Honestly, I don't mind if he takes his time choosing his next project because...I dunno, it makes it sound like just that to me: that he's choosing the project. And given his track record, that's generally a good sign. From what I've heard, good scripts are getting harder and harder to come by, so if he's taking his time to really choose one that clicks for him, I'm all for it even if it means I won't see him as often as some other actors.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

3 hours ago, kittyna said:

Thanks for the updates, guys! JW posted some pics from this on his Instagram as well: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cek1pwZJb89/

It's good to see Joo Won share an actual IG post.. :blush:

Joo won IG post cation said: 

"그만 찍어 민재야 ー (주원숲)"

Translation: Stop taking pictures, Minjae. - (Joowon Forest) .

A fan said to me that Minjae is the photographer of his agency.

FUyycoeWYAE8cUr?format=jpg&name=large

The weather was really fine in Seoul today. It rained. It rained in my city too.

FUyycpOWYAALwwE?format=jpg&name=large

Thanks to Photographer Minjae taking lots of photos we might get some behind the scene from Studio Santa Entertainment's Navee page. Joowon company official _myok posted the following on IG story.

FUzDP7bUAAAEWJx?format=jpg&name=medium

"Stop filming Minjae, the behind-the-scene story will be... will be released on Naver Post"

I wonder if we'll get it today or tomorrow.

3 hours ago, kittyna said:

I dunno, it makes it sound like just that to me: that he's choosing the project. And given his track record, that's generally a good sign.

so true.. :thumbsup:

• Like 3