[Drama 2010] Gloria 글로리아

Guest sayroo

Guest missbehave

I have loved Bae Doo-na forever (she is like the cutest of the cute, I envy her adorableness), but I had little knowledge of or interest in Lee Chun-hee… UNTIL NOW. Talent is sexy, we all know that. Plus, hehe, I love a tall and deep-voiced antihero and that's this guy. His Ha Dong-ah, and his pairing with So Yi-hyun’s Yun-seo … ohmygosh I am shipping them so hard it hurts, ugh.

After ep 8, I feel like, just like a child who starts using words without yet understanding them, YS is attracted to DA without yet understanding her own feelings. Her intentions at this stage, however unconscious, therefore may not be entirely selfless. She herself said as much in ep 8, when she answers “I don’t know” in response to DA’s question of "What is it that you want from me?”. She does ask DA to help her experience what it's like to feel alive -- in a different world than the suffocating one she lives in, even if it’s just for a fleeting run. DA, already head over heels for her, would do anything YS wishes of him, thereby inevitably opening himself to be vulnerable and -I am so bloody worried- to be hurt very deeply – not by YS, knowingly at least, but by their hopeless circumstances. When he finds out about YS’s arranged marriage to the wealthy KS, it’s easy to imagine how that will add to his sense of inferiority. Poor DA... help him, scriptwriter, you have got to thow him a break.

On a side note – I want the entire contents of YS’s wardrobe! (I’m kinda girlcrushing to be honest, hehe.)

And just to make this post more random, here is my first time ever making a screencap! I love DA and YS so much, I just couldn't resist ^^

Dong-ah has the coolest T-shirts and this is my favorite. "Trophy Husband”. It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.

Gloria_5-DA.jpg

And from ep 8 – I wouldn’t mind it one bit if the drama ended on this shot. Gaaahhh. o_O

Gloria_8-DAYS.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with many people, I also don't mind if the plot is a bit cliche, if the writing and character development remains solid and not slap-dash.  Even more importantly, the actors themselves must not be playing his/her respective character in a "been there, done that before" mode.  -_-

From the very start, I watched because of BDN starring in this drama.  But, after seeing the rest of the cast, I was even more confident in the acting quality of the drama.  And the delicious cherry on top of a hot fudge sundae are the scenes between Dong Ah and Yun Seo.  :D

As for KS being a 'yes' man, I don't think it is only a lack of confidence that's made him so obedient.  I think he is also trying to atone for his mother's behavior.  Since he knows that father's wife will use his mother's peccadilloes to go after his father, he probably doesn't want to supply his father's wife with more ammunition against his father, by acting contrary.  And, which would add to his father's troubles.  I think if, ever, his mother gets out of the "woe is me" attitude, he would finally be able to stand up for himself.    (... and tell people to go 'shove it'.):phew:

By episode 2, I had theorized that Jin Joo had been linked to JS before her current mental condition.  And, my theory is a bit supported by: 

1) the conversation between JS and his mother, in which he reminded her that he's always been married and her reply that it didn't count;

2) Jin Joo's obsession with the 'pretty' diamond right on the finger of the female nightclub patron and how Jin Joo kept saying it was hers.

I don't know if either JS or his mother had any connection to Jin Joo and her parent's accident.  But, with 50 episodes to fill with content, the writers may just throw us a mystery, too.:wacko:

Last, but not least, the flying over the hood of the car scene made, not only my day, but my year!:wub::w00t:

Guest Quinze

I think that's what he's going to have to realize. He knows he doesn't enjoy being made the target by his step-mother and half-brother but he doesn't seem to realize that it's not his fault. I think it's what's holding him back.

I felt for her a little just because it must suck to be in a marriage where you know your husband has no love for you and the end result of his affections for another woman ends up in her household. I guess it makes her feel powerless since she can't really do much. Her husband holds the purse strings so she can't lash at him so she takes it out on the son. But you're right, after 30 years, I'd think if she has any heart she'd have swallowed her bitter pill and at least left the son alone.

You're def right about Jung Nan's presence adding fuel to her ire. Especially since Jung Nan can't/won't let go and step back.

I honestly don't think she was married to Ji Suk. There's got to be another reason why seeing him set her off. Maybe he bumped into her like that before or something. In the preview it didn't look like he recognized her either.

Plus her being married would def mix up the storyline. How would her sister not know or hint at it? Like you said, it might just be her affinity to shiny objects. If it was out of place someone would have asked or wondered why at this point.

Sorry to spoil your fun speculating about Na Jin Joo and Ji Suk's past. The cat's out of the bag on page 1 synopsis.

Oh Hyun Kyung 오현경 as Na Jin Joo

Na Jin-jin’s older sister. She once lived a glamorously life! She grew up poor and had an intense desire to become successful. Fortunately, she had a superb voice and became a singer at the age of 19. She enjoyed life as a celebrity. But life also has a way of throwing curveballs at you. Her first relationship with a married man ended terribly for her. He was the young heir to a Chaebol empire! But he was already married and their affair caused his young wife to commit suicide. Then Jin-joo also got into an accident that left her brain damaged, which totally changed her life for the worse. She was burdened with the responsibility of caring for her younger sister. But she always stayed happy throughout this ordeal because she could not recollect anything from the past...

Lee Jong Won 이종원 as Lee Ji Suk [NATE]

Eldest son of Chairman Lee Joon-ho. Lee Kang-seok’s half-brother. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Thus, he grew up without ever being denied anything. This also instilled within him an relentless edge in reaching his conquests. He married in his early twenties through a marriage arranged by his family. He later has a brief affair with Na Jin-joo, who appeared in one of his company’s TV commercials. He does not feel any guilt for ruining Jin-joo’s life. He simply considers the affair he had with Jin-joo as a mistake made in his youth. But while finally returning to Korea after a long spell, he is seated next to Jung Yoon-seo and finds himself attracted to her...

@Aunty Mamie: Last, but not least, the flying over the hood of the car scene made, not only my day, but my year!:wub::w00t:

No, no! We are only at episode 8 and I want MOAR! I won't settle for anything less, because I have faith in the writer and the PD to give us MOAR of this. Kang Suk... he's not even in love's throes yet. Shouldn't he perform an acrobatic stunt just as great, greater? He is after all a kickboxer, at least, by the way he pummels his opponents! Poor guy, this is the only way he is letting out his frustrations. If we could see that energy channeled towards pursuing Jin Jin, his dreams and her dreams... Gosh, that's what I am waiting for!:wub:

Guest missbehave

Episode 09 - Synopsis/Preview (Credit: iMBC):

가수가 되고자 찾아온 진진을 철저하게 무시하는 강석! 자존심이 상한 진진은 보란 듯이 가수가 되겠다며 당당히 사무실을 나선다. 지석은 윤서의 집으로 직접 찾아가 따님에게 관심이 있음을 밝히고, 윤서의 어머니는 강석 대신 지석을 선택하라고 그녀를 설득한다. 한편 우연히 길...

I welcome any corrections to my humble translation :-)

Jin-jin visits (the agency) hoping to become a singer, only to be thoroughly disregarded by Kang-suk. Her pride hurt, Jin-jin proudly vows to become a singer as she walks right out of the office. After Ji-suk personally calls on Yoon-seo's mother and declares his interest in her daughter, the woman tries to persuade Yoon-seo to pick Ji-suk instead of Kang-suk. Jin-joo abruptly turns pale with aghast when she bumps into Ji-suk by chance on the street.

(The last line, in full, is "한편 우연히 길에서 지석을 마주친 진주! 갑자기 아연실색 하는데...")

And because there is no mention at all about my woobie Dong-ah, here are the last few seconds from the ep 9 preview (out on iMBC), which does feature DA:

JJ: What really is your relationship with Yoon-seo shi?

DA: Just, um, someone I know.

JJ: You like her, don’t you?

this jisuk just made use of his links to his father and treat women as toys .that was what happen to jin joo! and now totally erased from his mind ?! :wacko:

I welcome any corrections to my humble translation :-)

Jin-jin visits (the agency) hoping to become a singer, only to be thoroughly disregarded by Kang-suk. Her pride hurt, Jin-jin proudly vows to become a singer as she walks right out of the office. After Ji-suk personally calls on Mrs Jung and declares his interest in Yun-seo, Mrs Jung tries to persuade her daughter to pick Ji-suk instead of Kang-suk. Jin-ju abruptly turns pale with aghast when she bumps into Ji-suk by chance on the street.

(The last line, in full, is "한편 우연히 길에서 지석을 마주친 진주! 갑자기 아연실색 하는데...")

And because there is no mention at all about my woobie Dong-ah, here are the last few seconds from the ep 9 preview (out on iMBC), which does feature DA:

JJ: What really is your relationship with Yun-seo shi?

DA: Just, um, someone I know.

JJ: You like her, don’t you?

ya the last part in the new preview .i like it if dongah and jin jin are those where man and woman can be best friend ^

^ and the making of the scene of flying over the car ! :wub: why didnt you come ..i was waiting ..awwwww....

click

^actually i am sure the writer has some backup plans behind ji suk story .to explain the way he is ..as in her other dramas ..but right now i am happy to dislike this jisuk for his attemps at getting what he want ~ ^though to wake jin joo up from her state i suspect he is a "cure" * ohh boy i am looking forward to our little protector of jin joo who will give all his might to fight for jin joo ..that little boy is adorable ..he missed his mother so much yet he is always living so with life ..

i didnt really expect much from dong ah and yoon seo at first but somehow it is growing so fast this bond between the two that it tug at my heart ,as if the two souls calling out to each other ..yoon seo is learning how to live or rather find a reason to ..Dong ah is such a rope.but i am not sure how prepared is YS for this new world .~

@missbehave: Thank you for translating the preview; it was great! :)

@the girl who!: Thank you for the screen caps. Keep them coming! And how about Kang Suk shirtless, too? I remember in one of the earlier episodes, he was water skiing with his shirt open. I caught my breath on that one. His acting skills are admirable; but I didn't think he had THAT on him, too. :w00t:

@Shirley: "Dong ah is such a rope.but i am not sure how prepared is YS for this new world."

I think Yoon Seo will be fascinated and will thrive on it! The maxim "Opposites attract" rings true in Korean drama! YS in a way eschews high society because she suffers under her mom's "I am Trying to be Mightier Than Thou" obsession. The poor on the other hand as exemplified by Dong Ah and Jin Jin, are too busy making ends meet, getting out of trouble, and helping each other out, that they develop a natural affinity for helping people. That's a trait which the uppity and Kang Suk call "minding other people's business". In the drama, the upper class is self-centred, selfish and gratification-seekers, as exemplified by Yoon Seo's mother and Ji Suk. Or they live double lives because they won't/can't cross boundaries to pursue their hearts' desires.

By the way, Dong Ah has his theme song! A sad, poignant but beautiful tune played in ep. 8. Can someone upload and translate it here, please? The song is really heart-wrenching. I guess this is how Dong Ah and Yoon Seo's love is going to be. :tears:

Thank you all for the preview. I enjoy watching this. I agree with shirley, I like seeing Dong Ah and Jin Jin, a man and woman can be friends.

Actually I love seeing Lee Jong Won portraying as protagonist but seems in here, he will fight with Dong Ah and his half-brother Kang Suk for Yoon Seo.

Guest sayroo

GLORIAbig.png

Haru Haru Subs Presents,

GLORIA

EPISODE 3 *HAN*

Main Translators: songbird, TeddayBear

Spot Translators: fore, songbird, TeddayBear

Timers: mclvene, starstruck

Editor/QC: leesja

Coordinators: sayroo, cute girl

EPISODE 4 *HAN*

Main Translator: ai*

Spot Translator: fore

Timers: starstruck, hitomi83

Editor/QC: rambutan

EPISODE 5 *HAN*

Main Translators: charisnova, TeddayBear

Timers: KumoYami, hitomi83

Editor/QC: snoopyvkd

EPISODE 6 *HAN*

Main Translator: deedee

Timers: cute girl, KumoYami

Editor/QC: szhoang

*Please SUPPORT fansubbers, not streaming sites! **Twitter **Wiki **Blog

DO spread the word to get High Quality english subtitles for this drama @ haru2subs.com*

Guest missbehave

iMBC expanded the ep 9 synopsis a little bit but (hehe, sorry) only this part caught my eye:

윤서는 동아를 찾아가 순녀네 식구들과 인사를 나눈다. 동아와 모처럼 마음 편안한 시간을 보내는 윤서.

Yoon-seo visits Dong-ah and exchanges greetings with Granny Soon-nyeo and the "family". For the first time in ages, Yoon-seo feels at ease as she spends a relaxing time with Dong-ah.

Also this - BTS of DA and YS's first date... kyaaa!

http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/gloria/sketch/index.html?list_id=1490843

or http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjAxNTM1ODAw.html

OMG. Next to each other, he is like a giant, and she is like a teacup human. Did I mention how much I love these two? *squeal*

Writer, please don't mangle their love story~~~ :-o

Thank you missbehave for the translation.

So it's safe to assume Yoon Seo follows Dong Ah home (Lady and the Tramp-esque). I have to wonder how his "family" is going to treat her, beyond the required 20 questions that are bound to follow her introduction.

missbehave: You have to know there are going to be a number of "issues" when it comes to their "love story" we still have 42 episodes left so expect a lot of angst and quite a few tearful/angry scenes.

We need to get the buckets out to contain the downpour that is Yoon Seo's mom. She already objects to Kang Suk, and now this Loser Punk Dong Ah? And how would the fathers of Kang Suk and Yoon Seo react? They have this business alliance hatched from their children's union going on. Then what about Kang Suk? Yoon Seo is his passport out of his step mother's clutches, at least for a bit. Now he will see his passport landing in the hands of a guy whom they call Loser Punk. Perhaps that will make him more interested in Jin Jin; why a lifeless Yoon Seo could come to life because of Jin Jin's Loser Punk friend (not that he hasn't tasted a bit of their aura already)!

The story is still following conventional patterns. But so far, the execution has been excellent, and the acting gripping. I'll look forward to the pathos and the angst. Dong Ah's love theme song in ep. 8 encapsulates part of that.

Guest yeohweping

Ep.9 summary

Jin Jin went on a raw egg eating spree after leaving double #. The rest of the old house tenants were already eating fatty pork treated by the guitar uncle who got the pay for the Cf song when she came back.

Dong Ah left the group upon receiving a call from Yun Seo that she is already at the market place near his place. She then insisted that she was to drink ice coffee the way he always does when Dong Ah told the vendor to prepare it in American style for her.

Ji Seok stopped his car and went after them after he saw the couple walking around and bumped into Jin Joo whom he failed to recognize while losing sight of Yun Seo later. Jin Joo on the other hand, fell sick with high fever after her past memories were triggered by him (Ji Seok really did gave her a diamond ring before)

While Jin Jin and their friend were making fun of Hong Ah for bringing Yun Seo to the nightclub, the jealous Min Ah tried to stake her claim on Dong Ah. Dong Ah kept telling that Yun Seo was just someone that he knows whenever anyone says/asks if they were dating.

Ji Seok went to Yun Seo's mom and strike a deal with her to marry Yun Seo to him instead of his brother since he is the legitimate son of the Lee family. Yun Seo's mom insisted that she'll talk her husband into choosing Ji Seok instead and tried to talk Yun Seo into agreeing but Yun Seo who doesn't like Ji Seok, rejected it and turned away.

Ji Seok tells his family in glee that he has already found someone he likes and hints that Kang Seok knows her as well, thinking that his plan will work with Yun Seo's mom on his side.

Manager Choi went seeking Jin Jin at the nightclub and ended up meeting Jin Joo as well

Guest heycitrus

Just finished ep 4 and I love it so far. Currently craving episode 5.

Like others mentioned, I'd really love it if JJ and DA stay as friends. That would be pretty unique for a kdrama in which the leads bicker constantly. It would be a nice touch, not to mention that their chemistry as friends work really well together. The drama would lose its charm if they were actually the lead couple.

Archived