[Drama 2010] Gloria 글로리아

Guest sayroo

Ditto!

The first half of the series was good... until the hiatus.

After that...

The plot went strange.

Character development became unrealistic...

Plot lines began to use cliche that didn't really fit

with the characters as they had been developed to that point.

Changes to the characters are not consistent with human nature.

It felt like the writer had been changed...

... and no-one informed us viewers that the newbie writer

... was just lifting bit & pieces of makjang drama here & there

... and forcing the disparate pieces together without regards to basic writing tenets.

After seeing "SG" (which I regard as the best of 2010)...

... the writing of the 2nd half of "Gloria" looks really sloppy.

... bits & pieces of the plot puzzle are scattered and forgotten.

Like JS' spy in Double Sharp;

... I thought maybe he was left in place to keep tab on information loss...

... But it does look like the writer had forgotten all about him.

All of our concerns seems to have been valid:

- Death to the perpetrator... with no sense of real accomplishment.

- Insanity to another villain.

- Sudden remorse forced by failure.

- Repentance at the drop of a hat.

- ...... etc...

Assorted Gems:

- I didn't hate the ending.

- I didn't find the ending fun and interesting, but...

- Most of the issues were resolved in a planned fashion.

- Characters were developed according to human nature.

- Some characters changed... through growth or emotional trauma...

- Most stayed the same and live on normal lives... with only superficial surface change.

The plot stayed true to the theme as spoken by Bi Chi:

People Don't Change.

Any Change Requires A Lot Of Work.

I still watch Assorted Gems at times for a few favorite scenes.

I doubt that I'll watch anything from the second half of Gloria again.

Ditto your comments on Gloria and Assorted Gems. AG is overall a much better drama with heart and soul. Its supporting and side characters all shine in their own ways. You watch AG for the tree and leaves, not just the main couples. I think the AG's ending is fine even though Ruby and Kyle didn't end up together, which was a believable organic development. Gloria was so promising at the beginning but failing from around ep 30. I just can't believe it was from the same writer who had delivered us Family Honour, Wishing Upon A Star and How To Meet A Perfect Neighour. Worst of all is the few screen time for KS and JJ whose coupling is single-handedly the biggest attraction to me. The supreme chemistry and nuanced acting of these two are what I will remember from Gloria

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm little late in asking this but as I was re-watching Gloria because my husband was watching it, I decided I want to change my cellphone ring to Dong-Ah's ringtone (the one with baby sound which says in Korean "there's telephone call".

Does anyone know where I can get it?

Thank you so much.

Today is New Year's Eve and everyone is home to welcome the new year of the Rabbit. Happy New Year to all in our little Gloria family(s). I have really enjoy just being with all of you. So hopefully I will see you in the next new drama (Shining???) and start spazzing :D or right now I am watching Dream High... :)

happy lunar new year! 新年快乐! saehae bok manhi badusaeyo!

special thanks to anoxan and dramaok for all the help in translations, subbing, reposting and everything else in between during the duration of gloria!!

if this drama was only out to prove 2 things to me, it's that 1st bae donna and su ji suk's chemistry were fantabulous! 2nd, this drama had heart. it might not have done the things we expected it to, but i figured out towards the end of ep 50 that it was a drama that wanted to convey life, in all its forms/shapes/sizes.

thank you to the wonderful cast for without their participation - it wouldn't have been the same. i'm happy with the ending, it wasn't trying to be what it wasn't - soooo for that i'm very happy that it still had a positive ending.

thank you also to everyone else's participation and comments during the span of this show, hopefully i'll be able to read your comments in other dramas...

these are my current dramas:

athena, goddess of war

queen of reversals

dream high

my princess

waiting to see what else i can add into the mix. any suggestions? i can probably take on 2 more dramas. hehehe.

Much as I wanted the happy ending (and I AM happy it was happy ending for the couple), ending was too unrealistic.

For me it's unthinkable that JJin and KS could be together especially as you mentioned JJin had indirectly caused JS to commit suicide. And even if KS's dad admit it's all his fault from the beginning, how can he easily ask JJin to be with KS? Whether he cared for JS or not, JS was still his first born son and JJoo was "JS's" lover and almost mother of his child. It's really unthinkable in Korean society (I'm sure also in other society too) that KS and Jjin can be together. In Korean society sisters marrying brothers is a big "no-no" so how can woman who indirectly caused so much grief to their family be "accepted"?

With that said, because KS and Jjin are together at the end, I am very happy with this drama and would watch it again and again. Just loved all the cute interaction between all the couples (including the manager and music teacher! LOL!)

i don't think JJ or the grandmother was indirectly caused JS's suicide, that was JS choice to atoned his sin, he could choose better way but he didn't, if JJ or the grandmother didn't do anything for revenged perhaps JS wouldn't come to the state asking forgiveness to Jinjoo at all.

i mean it's like a war, each side already had their lost, and to end the war, they had to do the right thing which is to forgive, it's not unrealistic to see JJ get together with KS or the father ask them to be together, i think the father's burden that he didn't do the right thing as a father, so the last thing he can do was let the only son he has left happy

for JJ yes it was a little bit weird how she accepted the condition, she should show feeling of regret when she hear JS's death, but i didn't see it in her, it would be more make sense if she distance her self from KS a little bit longer than she had already did before :sweatingbullets: or time gap ? but perhaps the ending storyline it self was to abrupt :unsure: like YS's father how come he changed so fast,only because the grandmother said a few things to him

Wow, so I finally watched the last episode of this drama, and I agree it was bad. I know we viewers usually decry when the writers don't give us a happy ending, but the ending in this drama did not fit. It just felt so out of place. When I first began this drama, I was hooked, looking for new episodes and for the first time tried to watch unsubbed episodes, and actually helped me discover new viewing sites. Somewhere along the lines something changed, and I just wasn't has hooked into the drama, when I look back, I think it was somewhere between episode 25 and 30, where the drama went off the rails.

I just didn't care anymore, which is such a shame, because when the characters were first introduced, I was so invested in seeing how these 4 broken people will be healed.

There were so many loose points, and the ending felt like they were trying to rush everything and package it neatly. Yes, I get that JS dies, kind of expected it, but DH's father did kill two people also, and in the end we see him just smiling jovially like nothing happened, then the rich girl's parent who were so evil, suddenly make a 360 degree turn, even has DH says he has no ambition. Then there was the time wasted with the Double Sharp Teacher and Manager and their relationship squabbles, it was funny at first, but in episode 50, where there was all ready little time for the other plots, is was highly unnecessary.

I could see the singing of Gloria ending a mile a way, so I didn't have the emotional pull the writer was expecting. All in all, I think the first half of the drama was okay, and if they had shortened the drama to a 20 or even 30 episode drama, the story could have been better executed.

I give A to the actors though, who despite what they were given, were superb in their roles. For fans of KS I would recommend that you watch the drama Obstetrics and Gynecology Doctors, a truly excellent show.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jjsweeter0211

Anyone here is a fan LEE CHUN HEE? ♥^^♥?

He is turning 33 today♥. It would be great if you could leave him a birthday message here

http://www.soompi.com/forums/topic/65963-lee-chun-hee-%EC%9D%B4%EC%B2%9C%ED%9D%AC/page__st__480__gopid__16837084#entry16837084

Thanks a lot Q~.~Q ♥.♥

• 1 month later...
Guest mumudav

I've just started watching this drama~ First I thought that Bae Doo Na's character would be paired up with her friend, gangster Ha Dong Ah, and thought it was a pity as it's more interesting to see her potential relationship with Lee Kang Suk~ But it appears I was wrong, kekeke~ And she will have love line with Lee Kang Suk, hooray~^*^

Also... When you guys watch Suh Ji Suk's acting, doesn't he resemble you someone? I'm dying to remeber who exactly he resembles~ His mimic, look in the eyes, behaviour...

Maybe So Ji Sub in What Happened in Bali?~ Awwww~ I can't understand >___<

What do you guys think?

Especially this facial expession with a smirk~~~~

Gloria-0122-17-19.jpg

Gloria-0122-21-16.jpg

UPD! Omomomomo~~~ I've remembered! Kyaaa~ I'm so happy~ He resembles Lee Jong Hyuk and his characters~ Yeah~~~~~~

Now I can continue watching with a peacful mind lol~

• 4 weeks later...

I've just started watching this drama~ First I thought that Bae Doo Na's character would be paired up with her friend, gangster Ha Dong Ah, and thought it was a pity as it's more interesting to see her potential relationship with Lee Kang Suk~ But it appears I was wrong, kekeke~ And she will have love line with Lee Kang Suk, hooray~^*^

Also... When you guys watch Suh Ji Suk's acting, doesn't he resemble you someone? I'm dying to remeber who exactly he resembles~ His mimic, look in the eyes, behaviour...

Maybe So Ji Sub in What Happened in Bali?~ Awwww~ I can't understand >___<

What do you guys think?

Especially this facial expession with a smirk~~~~

UPD! Omomomomo~~~ I've remembered! Kyaaa~ I'm so happy~ He resembles Lee Jong Hyuk and his characters~ Yeah~~~~~~

Now I can continue watching with a peacful mind lol~

To me he resembles Kim Ji Hoon in Stars falling from the sky but big surprise they are from the same writer so they have to have similarities.

I agree with everyone about the ending too, which I don't blame the actors but the writer, she did the same thing in SFFS which was such a lovely drama till it went terrible wrong two episodes before the ending and which drag a story line that at the end was just silly. I love it though and in all I like Gloria and I can forgive the dragging of the plots because it is obvious it is the way the writer writes his/her dramas. I love DA's story it was more sweet. and I like JJ and KS story too and I understood why they broke off but couldn't be apart, I liked how the writers show that in both sides of the poles there are people that live the same missery and loneliness, in spite of social status and everyday we have to work hard to be happy, also, that dreams do come true all we have to do is dream a little and we have to be willing to work toward those dreams... In the other hand I didn't like the fact that a lot of holes were left in the plot and we just get the sense of accept it this is the way it is, nothing more can come to my head so this is how I decided to end it. I don't know how I will end it but I think that if I start to think I would find a better and more suitable ending but not everyone would be happy, so I am just happy that these four characters existed and I can sleep at peace that they had a good ending even if it is too a little to hard to swallow. I would change the last four episodes but I didn't write it so I can just speculate of what I would do. All in all I wanted the four of them to be happy and even though I didn't like Jin Joo after she regained her memories cause she wasn't as inocent in all of what happen as she appear, I liked that she was happy as that adorable little kid's mom, Lastly, I am glad that there was no loser in love at least not someone that ended up all alone.

• 5 months later...
Guest Samurai-Cee

Hi,

I don't know if this has been posted or not, but I was wondering if anyone knew the song playing during the preview at the end of ep 40? I've been trying to find it but I can't so please let me know if anyone knows what the song is called.

Thank You.

• 1 year later...

Archived