GLORIA

EPISODE 2 *HAN*

Main Translator: deedee

Spot Translator: songbird

Timers: hitomi83, szhoang

Editor/QC: la_tofu

Coordinators: sayroo, cute girl

*Please SUPPORT fansubbers, not streaming sites! **Twitter **Wiki **Blog

DO spread the word to get High Quality english subtitles for this drama @ haru2subs.com*

the song in episode 6 touches my heart so much.

it made me teared up a bit. i felt that .... it is so real and

it is so bitter....

but the sax at the end ... made me felt a slight hope. dunno why?

god. today i am a bit sentimental. ^^

can anyone share the song? please? pretty please with a cherry on top?

Guest yeohweping

Ep.07 summary

Dong Ah tells Yun Seo that he won't be coming here anymore as he can't go after something that is beyond his reach despite her shouting that she wants him to come see her again.

Kang Seok tells Ji Seok that it's none of his business when he start asking whether he likes the person that he is going to marry and rejected Kang Seok's help when he can't walk straight in his drunken state.

Meanwhile, Min Ah started a ruckus back home before and after Dong Ah came back, exclaiming that Dong Ah had fought for her because he has feelings for her. Feeling depress about not seeing Yun Seo again, Dong Ah refused to tend his wounds even when Jin Jin gives him an egg.

Jin Jin meets up with Kang Seok who came to get a car wash at the car center that she works part-time in the afternoon. Kang Seok whom suddenly remembered seeing her sad situation, was surprised that she could still be such a cheerful person.

Meanwhile, Eo Jin tried to find out the price of the plane ticket to America when all the adults besides Jin Joo are out. And both of them became determined to earn lots of money so that they can buy the plane tickets.

Jin Jin got into trouble at work when she over-debited Kang Seok's credit and they had to wait for the car center's boss to return to amend the mistake. Uncle Host helped Jin Jin to haggle the money paid for singing the CF song when the guitar uncle tried to take more cut of the payment. Jin Jin began to nag at Kang Seok about his mom when they were left alone again and Kang Seok was forced to return the next day as the car center boss had to remain in the hospital and can't return. Jin Jin asks Kang Seok if he was going to see his mom when she locks up the car center before going to the nightclub as she wanted a free ride. Kang Seok said that he is not going to but he got a call from Jung Nan after Jin Jin left running there.Thinking that Kang Seok had lied to her when she sees him arriving at the nightclub after her, she starts venting her anger on him, pouting that he's only here to see his mom for money while Jung Nan scolds Kang Seok upon realizing that she won't be able to attend his wedding ceremony either.

Grandma tells Jin Joo to take Eo Jin back home when he fell asleep after he over-worked himself. Jin Joo says that she'll only singing for Eo Jin and replies that she misses her mom as well when Eo Jin says he misses his. (Jin Joo is not retarded but the shock of causing her parents has caused big emotional trauma. That's why sometimes she gets to be normal although most of the time not especially with Jin Jin as guilt plays a big part in her mental situation as well)

Yun Seo awaits for Dong Ah to visit her while he becomes distracted at work.

Ji Seok gets work up and asks his mom why didn't she divorce his dad after Grandfather died? Big mom replied that he will be left with nothing if she did.

Yun Seo's dad tells his wife that she shouldn't reject the marriage since Yun Seo is agreeable to it.

Jin Jin's impression of Kang Seok gets worse when Jang Nan complains to her that he doesn't allow her to attend his wedding ceremony.

Dong Ah keeps telling Jin Jin that she is his best friend and he will carrying on living a life without dreams and hopes when they were walking back home but Jin Jin rebukes him saying that she is going to live hers going after her dreams.

Ji Seok who became desperate after learning that Yun Seo and Kang Seok's marriage is nearing, asks Kang Seok to arrange a lunch meeting for them to meet up. Ji Seok tells Yun Seo in front of Kang Seok that she should considered marrying him instead if she wants to marry a great person and not because of love.

Someone really must explain Ji Seok's thought process. He goes from trying to talk up Yun Seo on the plane (episode 1) to this love sick puppy (episodes 1 to current) but he fails to notice that Yun Seo has absolutely no interest in him yet he persists. He really can't be this thickheaded can he?

I too, can't understand his fixation fully, but can accept it. The reasons I can think of: Yun Seo is a very beautiful woman (the first and most important reason). She also intrigued him, right from the start. In the plane, she didn't say anything except "I am sorry" (more than 20x!). It's also a matter of ego; the harder to get, the more exciting the chase. Some men can't take no for an answer and I can expect this from the first son of a chaebol. Such men who believe they are God's gift to women can't understand or take rejections.

Yun Seo on the other hand seems to be interested in Dong Ah but for some reason doesn't seem to put up much of a fuss when it's proposed that she marry Kang Seok. I get she's depressed (or broken) over giving up her dream (and what I would add an uncaring/unloving set of parents) but she's not completely put out as to simply go along with this arrangement (as we see some life in her whenever she's around Dong Ah).

Yun Seo's depression is genetic; hence the tendency toward suicide. The environment is not helping her, either. Mom is always bitter, complaining, and utterly self-centered, while society mocks her birthright. After losing probably the only dream she had, she has no will to live. She didn't care whether she lived or died. So now, it doesn't matter who she marries. Dong Ah is different. He is not refined like her, but is sincere and straightforward. He was the only one who cared to ask why she tried to kill herself. The others, like her mom, without compassion told her it was wrong to commit suicide, and to snap out of it! In her world, she felt like an object, being tossed about and used. But Dong Ah came along, and saw her as a person. He genuinely cared about her feelings.

I get how a lot of this will help set in motion Kang Seok chasing after Jin Jin and Yun Seo's love triangle with Dong Ah and Ji Seok but it's such a cliche way of setting it up that it's becoming somewhat frustrating to watch (specifically Ji Seok's pursuit of Yun Seo). Does anyone else have similar thoughts thus far?

Kang Suk thinks very much like Yun Seo does. Having grown up in the shadows, and always having to give way to older brother, he is a bitter man, utterly fatalistic. Kang Suk's interest in Jin Jin will be piqued when he sees what a fighter she is, unlike him. Jin Jin lives from hand to mouth, holds multiple jobs, yet has an optimistic outlook. This is a cliche, I know, but I'll never tire of it, as long as the execution is excellent! Ji Suk's pursuit of Yun Seo doesn't bother me, since I don't give much weight to secondary characters. I will keep hanging onto this drama because I think it will be exciting to see:

* how Gloria is going to make it in the music industry (I love those songs!),

* how Kang Suk will fall in love with Gloria, and

* how he will, in the end, become his own man.

I am sufficiently invested in the four main characters - Gloria, Kang Suk, Yun Seo and Dong Ah - to want to continue!

Guest yeohweping

Ep.8 summary

Yun Seo tells Ji Seok to back off and asks back if he loves his brother. She then went off alone after rejecting Kang Seok's offer to send her home.

Jin Jin nags at Kang Seok at the car center about hurting Jung Nan's feelings when he went there to amend his previous payment. Jin Jin feels insulted when Kang Seok tells her that she belongs to those categories of people that have no right to poke nose into his business.

Dong Ah gets into trouble at work when he pushes the customer who was harassing Min Ah during his frustrations of not meeting Yun Seo and ended up in jail. He got off the hook when the customer's wife appears and Boss took him out for a drink while the others goes back home thinking that Boss is going to fire Dong Ah after drinking. Dong Ah began to make his way to Yun Seo's place after drinking session ends but stopped himself half-way and went home while telling himself not to be shaken.

Ji Seok turned up drunk in front of Yun Seo's place and Yun Seo tells him off again before going back in.

Jung Nan who ended being reported unknowingly, causes another ruffle in the Lee household.

The people at the nightclub starts to treat Jung Nan differently upon knowing that she was such a big star and uncle host uses the report as an ad for the new poster. Kang Seok pushes Jin Jin away when she tried to interfere with his fight with his mom. Jin Jin exclaimed that Kang Seok is a strange fellow when he walked away angrily after failing to convince his mom to leave.

Big mom was insulted by Yun Seo's mom (Witches fight will be between 2 of them in future) who takes the chance to tell big mom that she is against the match as Big mom isn't the real mom of Kang Seok, thus will not take the match seriously. Ji Seok smiled wickedly at the side-lines thinking that he has a chance now with Yun Seo.

Yun Seo's mom has a scolding from his husband for taking things into her own hands and for insulting his sick mom who is now lying in bed.

Yun Seo nearly got hit by a car when she went looking for Dong Ah. Dong Ah then took her to the place where he first saw her and asks why she is always looking for him but Yun Seo replies that she doesn't know why either.

Jin Jin goes to Double # for an audition after her payment for the CF song has gone burst after it was rejected and learns that Kang Seok is not a driver but the Chairman of the ent.company. She gets into another fight with him about his attitude to his mom while he further insults her by saying that she won't be making it as a singer.

Preview

Jin Joo suffers a relapse when she sees Ji Seok who fails to recognize her and Manager Choi reveals that Jin Joo was once a singer signed to Double # Ent.

rambutan: "This is a cliche, I know, but I'll never tire of it, as long as the execution is excellent! Ji Suk's pursuit of Yun Seo doesn't bother me, since I don't give much weight to secondary characters. I will keep hanging onto this drama because I think it will be exciting to see:

I am sufficiently invested in the four main characters - Gloria, Kang Suk, Yun Seo and Dong Ah - to want to continue!"

My sentiment exactly! In fact, this is perhaps the first drama this year that has hooked me at a deeper level than others despite its cliche storyline. The spot-on casting and acting of the four main leads are making an impact here. (SJS is a bit stiff right now but I do look forward to seeing him 'defrost' down the track.) Though I was initially attracted to this drama by BDN and SJS, the blossoming love between LCH and SYH right now is just so beautiful to watch. Gloria has never been a favorite song to me but everytime when it is sung in this drama by BDN gives me some thrill - can't wait for the story of her way to glory unfold.

Guest missbehave

As someone who doesn’t get to watch Gloria live,

yeohweping:

You rock! Your instantaneous recaps are so helpful, I wanted to personally thank you. Please continue to enlighten us!

semi-fly & alchocoholic:

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to share your Torrent files. If not for them, I don't know how I'd cope! Thank you so much for providing such an amazing "service".

rambutan: Thanks for taking the time to answer my rant/ramblings about the show.

While I agree that Kang Suk has somewhat lived in the shadows since birth it's not really a reason for him to, as a 30 year old man (?), to continue to live as a 'yes' man. If I recall from an earlier episode (based off context rather than translation) even is father seemed to question why he simply went along with things rather than question him (or the logic behind requests). I can see him pursuing his dreams (minus the whole "fight club" angle) and still being somewhat faithful to the concept of his character but in order for him to do that he needs to stand up for himself, confront his worthless brother, his somewhat strange stepmother (I don't really get her either), and eventually his father who I suspect would welcome the confrontation (since it shows that he's grown up (the concept of a son challenging a fathers authority to control his life) and is ready to be his own man.

Kang Suk despite his years has the confidence of an adolescent. No matter how smart he is and how hard he works, he is not accepted or recognised for WHAT he is. He craves acceptance and recognition, that's why he is a yes-man and he works his guts out. Yet what happens? Society only labels him for WHO he is, that is, the son of a mistress and therefore someone befitting only "unequal rights". Big legitimate Brother comes back from his galivanting ways, and hey presto, snatches his job and his position. To rub salt to the wound, Father next pairs him with the daughter of someone's mistress, again reminding him that he is "different". He doesn't rebel against Father or anybody, because he can't change the circumstances of his birth, and he wants acceptance. Thus, he is not his own man even at 30.

Kang Suk needs to find his own self worth and have a dream. Like Jin Jin says: "There must be a reason why I (or even pine tree caterpillars) live." Until Kang Suk finds his own self-worth, and begins to pursue his dream(s) instead of society and family's acceptance, he can't be his own man.

rambutan: "This is a cliche, I know, but I'll never tire of it, as long as the execution is excellent! Ji Suk's pursuit of Yun Seo doesn't bother me, since I don't give much weight to secondary characters. I will keep hanging onto this drama because I think it will be exciting to see:

I am sufficiently invested in the four main characters - Gloria, Kang Suk, Yun Seo and Dong Ah - to want to continue!"

My sentiment exactly! In fact, this is perhaps the first drama this year that has hooked me at a deeper level than others despite its cliche storyline. The spot-on casting and acting of the four main leads are making an impact here. (SJS is a bit stiff right now but I do look forward to seeing him 'defrost' down the track.) Though I was initially attracted to this drama by BDN and SJS, the blossoming love between LCH and SYH right now is just so beautiful to watch. Gloria has never been a favorite song to me but everytime when it is sung in this drama by BDN gives me some thrill - can't wait for the story of her way to glory unfold.

I was initially drawn to this drama because of Suh Ji Suk (loved this "sexy rogue with a twinkle in his eye" in OB/GYN). SJS right now as you say, needs defrosting. Yet whether here in Gloria or in OB/GYN, where he plays very opposite characters, I find him riveting. In Gloria, he portrays his cold, ruthless, bitter, repressed and fatalistic character to perfection. It would be my pleasure to see him defrost to this "sexy rogue with a twinkle in his eye and the clouds on his feet" after he finds love and his dream(s). I also have faith in the writer (Wish Upon a Star, Family Honor] and the PD/Director (Still, Marry Me, Queen of Housewives). Bae Doo Na needs no persuasion - what she lacks in eye candy, she makes up for in acting skills. She is just one mighty fine actress, and I've watched most of her major works.

The main stars better be good, because we are talking about 50 episodes! So yes, that the third and fourth leads are also spot on, is more than I could wish for. No, wait, I find Kang Suk's mom just as good and as enjoyable to watch as the four leads. When she sang ABBA's "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme (A Man After Midnight)", I didn't know whether to drop my jaw in awe, or to laugh. In the end, I did both. Then there is Grandma and the nightclub group of co-workers and house mates. They are all characters with soul and wit and I care about them, too. Like you, the main and supporting cast have hooked me at a deeper level than I expected. Gloria may well be the first "modern" drama that will keep me on for the full 50 episodes (the only other long dramas that I have completed are sagueks or wuxia.)

With regards to the last little bit of the episode when Jin Joo and Ji Seok bump into each other and to be frank I'm going out on a limb here but do we know when Jin Joo had her breakdown and/or started acting in a childlike manner? Previous posters mentioned the possibility that her breakdown had something to do with her parents (accidental death or some such). Is it at all possible that Ji Seok is in fact the root of her problems? He did go "traveling" for a time (possibly to avoid action/justice) only to come back after some time (though this might have been halfheartedly explained already).

Now that you mention it, JJ and parents could have been victims of a hit-and-run, and guess who was driving the other car, or the car!

rambutan: I got the feeling that this "Father next pairs him with the daughter of someone's mistress" isn't quite right. All things kind of point to the fact that Yun Seo is a legitimate child of President Jung and that @#$@# woman. How did you come to the conclusion that she was an illegitimate child (daughter of a mistress)?

Episode 4, which I am editing!

As for Dong Ah and Yun Seo I liked their parts in the episode but the whole social class struggle that Dong Ah is apparently going through to stop himself from pursuing Yun Seo seems a bit foolish, though understandable. If/when he allows himself to just a guy and her just a girl he's going to have an uphill battle trying to convince not only Yun Seo's father but that mother of hers, frankly if/when that happens I hope they don't drag it out too long or do something foolish like a fake pregnancy/pregnancy to make the parents see eye-to-eye.

I'm afraid social/class struggle is very much prominent in this drama. High society's intolerance for scandals and fixation about everything belonging to its place, is what is making Kang Suk miserable, repressed, bitter, and Kang Suk and Yun Seo fatalistic. Even the "lower class" subscribes to the belief that one must accept one's position. That's why Dong Ah tells Yun Seo he better stop dreaming for things which he is not supposed to have.

Guest Quinze

Hah

I told myself after seeing the first episode not to get sucked into this show. 50 episodes is no joke and I have too much going on to be stalking the net for news of this show but alas I got sucked in anyway!

But I like the pace so much right now. Both excruciatingly slow and fast. Jin Jin and the main male lead are going to have a SLOW romance because there's so much to cover between them. Too much drama on each side and of course they don't even like each other yet. But I'm looking forward to them slowly peeling each layer. Plus point is that BDN is not gorgeous. I mean that in a good way! She's no damsel in distress and she'll teach our male lead a thing or two about respecting your flawed but caring mother. I'm not terribly interested in the sister's background arc but I know it's going to be important so I'm curious about it.

As for Chun, I LOVE this guy. As endearing as I find BDN. I loved his reaction to YS and how much he like her but stays jarred in reality. It means the female has to come out of her shell too which makes it more endearing. I hope they don't drag the angst later but I love these two enough to bear it. I guess I consider these two the faster romance since the attraction was instant here.

Over all this drama's framework is very much full of clichés but it's premise is in a nightclub which makes it's a little more interesting. Besides, who doesn't love a cliché done well?

I know a lot of me is having trouble connecting with the male lead because he's so frosty. But he's got and odd set of issues and I kind of like that he doesn't blame anyone else. His method of dealing is no better than anyone else's but I guess it works for him.

BDN tends to be really jerky and kinda abusive. It kind of got on my nerves but at the same time considering she's one step away from being on the streets, it makes sense.

I'll stop ranting now... :sweatingbullets:

Guest ripgal

I'm joining the Gloria bandwagon!

Agree with most of you that the plot and setting up for the characters are nothing more than just a rehash of the typical K-drama formula/cliche. Cold and aloof guy (Kang Seok) vs the ditzy and tough girl (Jin Jin/Gloria). Crazy and loud lad (Chundrella) vs the sweet and demure girl (Yun Seo). Gist is no other than the contrast between the upper class and the lower class, and how both couples have to overcome status hurdles to get together in the end. But wth, I already love how everything is unfolding. All 4 main leads are interesting and intriguing in their own unique ways, and I love how they link to each other in one way or another.

The premise of the buddies/boy-girl friendship has always been explored in K-dramas, mostly via a conventional approach of having the boy and girl end up together because of their (usually) amazing rapport. I initially came to watch Gloria wishing for a Chundrella-BDN tandem (just because I love both actors). I was a bit disappointed knowing that SJS and BDN would be a couple and Chun and SYH would be other couple. However, having seen 3 eps, I am absolutely comfortable and happy with Jin Jin and Dong Ah being the best of buddies. I JUST LOVE how they bicker with each other, how they can pull each others' hair without hesitation, how Dong Ah goes all out to protect and guard Jin Jin.. etc. It's the kind of relationship that you'd want from a true friend.. so sweet! :P I kinda felt there were hints thrown at us, which were telling that Dong Ah and Jin Jin might progress further than just being buddies.. but I doubt it would be explored that deep. I'm perfectly OK with the couple set-ups right now ^^

Acting is pretty decent all across. Chun Hee's SO spot on as the loud (but sometimes clueless) prick. Bae Doo Na is always good but has to tone down her screaming a bit. Seo Ji Suk was pretty stiff and insipid in the beginning, but I reckon it's because of the character he's playing. Should be better when he's not so aloof or distant. Not much to comment on Seo Yi Hyun yet as she has yet to appear that much. But I'm VERY curious about why she's acting the way she is (I'm only up to Ep 3). The rest are competent enough. I was most amused by Jin Joo and the lil boy... they're soooooo freaking CUTE together. It's weird having the characters in the drama match-make them together.. but I get it's for laughs and cuteness, which I don't resent at all.  ^__^

Last but not least, can I ask for more Chundrella stripfest? hehehe.. :P I am pervy, but man, Chun's soooooo HOT in here!

Great to see more people joining the Gloria bandwagon!

After watching Ep 8, I can declare I love this drama so much so that I watched this episode twice. Gloria, for sure, has all the plotlines we've seen before but there's some freshness in how those well-worn storylines are portrayed. Take the bickering between JJ and KS for example. This is perhaps the first time that I am truly feeling how much the two leads find each other despicable (unlike in other dramas where there is always a hint of underlying attraction between the male and female leads). It does raise the bar of expectation as to when KS will fall for JJ (and I have no doubt SJS will be just as the charming Doctor Wang as in ObGyn). It sounds cliche but I do feel a sense of West Side of Story or Dickensian in this drama, especially the DA-YS pairing. Love, love their scene towards the end from DA saving her from the road back to where she almost had her suicide, and her declaring that she wanted to live in another world even just for a little, little while - so heart-tugging!!

I am also rooting for delicate relationship between KS's mum and dad. Their relationship is just so sensual that I want to see more of their onscreen chemistry!

Gloria shows a cold and cruel world, one with the have and the have-nots, but decent people are abound supporting each other. The landlady, the police officer, and the club owner. Each character has a role to play here and all of them make me care for them and care for their world. Better stop my cheesy writing!!

Archived