Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

I would like to see SYJ in a variety show but that is a long shot. She rarely does variety because she thinks she may say or do the wrong thing. When she did Running Man and Master in the House, the hosts were so in awe that such a star was in their presence, SYJ got the upper hand to control her situation. She was very entertaining when she relaxes and has fun. But today, most variety shows go deeper to ask about very personal matters.

For example, Fun Restaurant is where stars create new dishes for a convenience store chain. Two of her good friends, Lee Jung-hyun and Oh Yoon-ah have been on the show (and won the competition). But this show now focuses half on food and half on celebrity personal lives so I don't know if private Ye Jin would want to open up. Her good friend, Kong Hyo Jin, used to be the same way (rarely doing variety shows). But after the success of Camellia Blooms, KHJ gained confidence to be  recently been on two variety shows (3 Meals Fishing Village and House on Wheels; both outdoor camping style shows). But again, KHJ knew some of the hosts so that familiarity put her at ease. Maybe SYJ could guest on Return of Superman since she did an Instagram shout out to Gary's son, Ha Oh.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, complicated said:

When Son Ye Jin accepted MWGM, 90% of the people from her agency opposed. I have faith with Yejin's decision. 

I agree. I don't understand why people would think that this opportunity is not suitable for her. Not all actors are offered such huge project. Sam W is a Hollywood A-lister with blockbuster and high grossing movies. I am not so much into Fantasy action films  but I watched  both Avatar and  Clash of the Titans (film series) with my guy friends, I love him better in his drama roles though like  Everest, Somersault (Australian Film) and Netflix's Fractured. As for the director Andrew Niccol, I really loved In Time which starred Justine Timberlake although it had a bit of  Indie film feels for me but the story was thoughtful and exciting, and The Host which book I also read. The Cross was supposed to be starred by Orlando Bloom a decade ago but they've done several revisions on the story. I think in the previous story, it was supposed to be the man  protagonist who would come from the poor nation, but now it seems like the female protaganist (SYJ character) is the one who will be from the poor nation. Son Ye Jin will do great in this movie if she accepts it. Future fantasy drama would be a new genre for her but she's very talented and has proven that she could excel at any film genre. 

On 7/7/2020 at 12:30 AM, Helena said:

Her English: I honestly couldn’t understand what she said in CLOY (especially the scene with the therapist/psychologist). Even when I really tried to focus on her lines, I still had a hard time — had to rewind several times and still wasn’t sure whether I got it.  My friends couldn’t make out what she said as well. 
It would definitely be a problem if she sounds like that in a Hollywood film — would have to rely on closed-captions to understand the dialogue.

The problem is not the accent. 
In Negotiation, I understood what she said without having to try.

Me too. It sounded like she was having a hard time talking in English in CLOY especially in the final episode where she was talking to a Swiss guy before the piano recital started. But she was great in the Negotiation- her English in the movie would be acceptable enough for a new foreign actress in Hollywood and she has a lot of time to practice. Salma Hayek and Sofia Vergara never lost their thick mother tongue accent but they are very successful in their Hollywood careers. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

On 7/8/2020 at 7:50 AM, complicated said:

When Son Ye Jin accepted MWGM, 90% of the people from her agency opposed. I have faith with Yejin's decision. 

Speaking of MWGM, does anyone have/can find a video of SYJ winning the Blue Dragon award for MWGM and her speech after getting the award? The news reports said she cried and was flustered. I looked on YT but cannot find anything.

• Like 1

I watched for the millionth time TTB . I’m always floored by her acting in the entire movie . She doesn’t have a single dull moment . Beginning to end she races up , Oscar worthy performance. 

My most favorite movies of hers 

1. TTB 

I can replay the car scene with the teacher , the beating part and ending almost daily. 

2. the classic 

When she says goodbye , the restaurant scene . The ending . 

3. the last princess 

the trying to leave Japan scene , the beating scene , the beach scene where they drag her away . 

4. be with you 

The flashbacks , her moments with her son , the parting ways with him . scaring her husbands friend . 

5. a moment to  remember 

the first meeting 

learning the truth from the doctor 

the ending 

• Like 3

The impact of Netflix on the actor's overseas expansion

It is not difficult to see foreign YouTubers reviewing Korean dramas on YouTube these days. There are various kinds of responses from TVN'Love Trial' depicting the love of South Korean chaebol heirlooms and North Korean officers who became hot topics in the first half of this year to responses to dramas with strong Korean colors, such as Netflix's original'Kingdom' and'Secret Forest'. It is a world where you can watch Korean dramas all over the world at the same time through OTT service. This expanded channel also serves as a catalyst for Korean actors' overseas expansion.

It is known that Yein Jin Son, the heroine of'The Unsuccessful Love', is holding hands of Hollywood director Andrew Nicole and positively reviewing her appearance in the movie'Cross'. 'Cross' is a film about the story of people between poor and rich countries in the background of a hypothetical multi-racial future division. Director Andrew Nicole, who wrote the screenplay for the movie'Trueman Show' and directed'Kataka','Host','Drone War: Good Kill', etc.

Son Ye-jin was offered the role of the heroine Vera in this film, and if she accepts the final, she will digest the dialogue in English. It is a meaningful achievement regardless of whether to appear or not, as it is Son Ye-jin, who has been conducting language training with the intention to advance overseas. In particular, the highlight of Son Ye-jin's casting was made by the proposal of director Andrew Nicole. In the past, Korean actors' overseas expansion, especially Hollywood, showed a very different atmosphere because there were many pictures of the actors knocking on the door first.

The exchange between the countries that were active due to the new coronavirus infection (Corona19) has been somewhat loosened, but it is the OTT service that is helping to continue this. The season 2 of Netflix's original drama'Kingdom' was released in March in a situation where it was impossible to watch the movie due to the closing of the theater. Famous Hollywood actor Samuel L. Jackson even said in an interview in April that he saw'Kingdom 2'in his own home by practicing social distance. In addition, TVN'Starring of Love' starring Son Ye-jin and Hyun-bin, and JTBC'Itaewon Class' starring Park Seo-joon were loved so much that they occupied 1st and 2nd place in Japan's Netflix.

Officials say that Netflix, which broadcasts to more than 190 countries around the world, has a small impact on actors' awareness in the global market. Of course, the recognition of K content itself has increased due to works recognized by international stages such as the Cannes Film Festival and the Academy Awards, such as'Parasites' and'Busan Haeng'. However, if there was no OTT service channel that provided viewers around the world with such recognized works anytime, anywhere, it would be said that the ripple power or speed would have been lower than now. In particular, OTT service is considered as another way to advance overseas, in the current situation where the influence of the theater has been reduced due to the epidemic.

A representative of Ms.Team's agency, Son Ye-jin, said that Son Ye-jin's advance into Hollywood has not yet been confirmed, and that it is unreasonable to see the impact of the popularity of'the sudden arrival of love', but feels the influence of Netflix on the popularity abroad. After the'non-trial of love' was released through Netflix, there were several overseas advertisement proposals, and an interview request was also coming.

The official added, "I don't have a direct feeling due to the situation in Corona 19, but there is a story about hot popularity in Korea, and after Netflix release, several requests are coming from Japan, so it is gradually gaining popularity."

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/421/0004748947

• Insightful 1

https://www.soompi.com/article/1412380wpp/lee-jung-hyun-talks-about-son-ye-jin-lee-min-jung-and-oh-yoon-ah-tagging-along-on-her-honeymoon
Lee Jung Hyun Talks About Son Ye Jin, Lee Min Jung, And Oh Yoon Ah Tagging Along On Her Honeymoon

by S. Cho | Jul 12, 2020

6799BC51-FE4F-41A1-BD6A-6AEABFFCA46B.png

On the July 13 episode of “Master in the House,” Lee Jung Hyun spoke about her friends tagging along on her honeymoon!

During the latest broadcast of the SBS variety program, Lee Jung Hyun appeared as the show’s newest master. The singer and actress got married in April 2019 to an orthopedist three years her junior, and she later revealed that actress Son Ye Jin had accompanied her on her honeymoon.

While the “Master in the House” cast was helping Lee Jung Hyun cook on the show, Lee Seung Gi brought up her honeymoon and asked, “Did Son Ye Jin go with you on your honeymoon?” Lee Jung Hyun explained, “I went to a place nearby first because I had a movie shoot there. Lee Min Jung, Oh Yoon Ah, and Son Ye Jin came while we were there, and we just had fun all night long.”

ASTRO‘s Cha Eun Woo turned to Lee Seung Gi and began to comment, “Wouldn’t visiting someone during their honeymoon kind of ruin the honeymoon?” while Lee Seung Gi jokingly interjected, “I heard that’s the worst?”

When asked if she had enjoyed it, Lee Jung Hyun responded, “It was so nice! They came and even bought me food, and my husband is a fan of all my friends. It must’ve been so fascinating for him.”

Kim Dong Hyun jumped in to say, “What if your husband brought three friends on your honeymoon?” After hesitating for a quick moment, Lee Jung Hyun hilariously answered, “I would hate it. Why would they follow us there?”

Since Lee Jung Hyun had enjoyed having her friends tag along, Shin Sung Rok jokingly told Lee Seung Gi, “When you get married, I’m going to follow you too.” Cha Eun Woo joined in, “I’ll also join you on your honeymoon. I’ll even buy you a meal.” Kim Dong Hyun hilariously added, “Me too. Let’s go with my wife and my kid. I’m sure your wife will be a fan of ours.”

Lee Seung Gi then asked, “Out of the five of us, which member do you think would least want us all to come on their honeymoon?” The cast members unanimously picked Yang Se Hyung, who immediately denied it, saying, “If my wife agreed to it, I think it’d be nice.”

When asked if his brother Yang Se Chan could come as well, Yang Se Hyung agreed, leading Lee Seung Gi to comment, “If Se Chan is going, just invite the whole ‘Running Man‘ cast, and let’s all go together.” Shin Sung Rok hilariously added, “It’s the SBS weekend variety program party!”

This week’s episode of “Master in the House” will be available on Viki soon. In the meantime, check out last week’s broadcast below!!

WATCH NOW

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.koreaboo.com/rewind/jun-jihyun-son-yejin-beautiful-prime-days-old-dramas/

Son Ye Jin on the other hand, is known currently for her successful drama, Crash Landing On You, as an heiress that falls in love with a North Korean soldier. The success of her latest dramas, including the aforementioned as well as Netflix‘s Something in the Rain revved her career up again, positioning her for her second prime.

However, for those that are interested in her earlier works, here’s some where she looked the very epitome of innocent beauty.

1. A girl given a second chance at life in “Summer Scent”

Summer Scent is always one of Son Ye Jin’s most talked about roles when it comes to discussing her peak beauty, and we can clearly see why. It aired in 2003, when she was a mere 21 years old.Playing the role of a sickly patient that receives a heart donation, her character later falls in love with the donor’s ex-boyfriend.

2. Bright-eyed and hopeful in “The Classic”

The Classic remains one of the classics for old K-Dramas, as it tells the tale of a young daughter who discovers her mother’s heartbreaking love story through a series of letters and flashbacks.Both the mother and daughter are played by Son Ye Jin, so for those interested to see how she manages a dual role, the movie will be a treat. Her visuals are also easy on the eyes, of course.

3. Her controversial role in “April Snow”

The movie made headlines for being just a touch racy – by 2005 standards anyway, given that it included a bed scene. Two star-crossed lovers are played respectively by Son Ye Jin and Hallyu star, Bae Yong Jun.

This crying scene of Son Ye Jin in the car is iconic even up to today, as many try to recreate the look of melancholic innocence.

HEH, it's still funny to me that April Snow is considered racy - even by just a touch. There was really nothing there except for SYJ's bare back. And the entire scene didn't even last that long.

• Like 3

On 7/12/2020 at 2:00 AM, wolfie26 said:

My most favorite movies of hers 

1. TTB 

I can replay the car scene with the teacher , the beating part and ending almost daily. 

2. the classic 

When she says goodbye , the restaurant scene . The ending . 

3. the last princess 

the trying to leave Japan scene , the beating scene , the beach scene where they drag her away . 

4. be with you 

The flashbacks , her moments with her son , the parting ways with him . scaring her husbands friend . 

5. a moment to  remember 

the first meeting 

learning the truth from the doctor 

the ending 

I have to agree, TTB was the only movie that i could rewatch it without fast forwarding, her performance is excellent! quite sad that she did not win an award for it. The scene that i like the best is towards the ending when she realised who the actual killer was...wow the emotions; rage; disbelief...sadness...the ending was really sad when she realise that the daughter did it in a way to protect her:wub:

I like The White Tower as well, her chemistry with the male lead was quite good and she nailed the exact emotions and actions sequence perfectly..i was really glued to the screen and like TTB, i rewatched it more than once.

My favourite scene from AMTR was when they started dating, when she helped him overcome his demons and especially the ending..totally love it. Honestly, i was wondering if she would ever have the chance to work with JWS again....their partnership was quite good.

I am a sucker for happy endings sooooo Be With You, The Last Princess , The Classic (Bittersweet endings), Open City, The Negotiation was alright, just that given a choice...watching once is enough...sorry its just that i cant take heartbreak...:brokenheart:

35 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

HEH, it's still funny to me that April Snow is considered racy - even by just a touch. There was really nothing there except for SYJ's bare back. And the entire scene didn't even last that long.

Exactly, have they even watch A Frozen Flower , Empire of Lust, The Servant?? Which is why i'm quite thrown off when people said her scenes in White Night or April Snow was too saucy....

• Like 2

That April Snow scene wasn't controversial , in today's standards it's plain but personally I think it was a big step for her to do something like that in SoKor standards in relation with her age and profile back then. But it was tame and respectful , not spicy at all ? 

TTB is a movie that relies heavily on her acting - it's well directed and the rest of the cast are good too, especially the friend , and that "unusual type of bond they form " up to the ending of the film , pretty well developed.

Well if you check her filmography and dramas how many "happy endings" we get? It's either tragedy or bittersweet . Be with you traumatized me more than TTB did mostly because you get the opening and you HOPE the ending will be different. And the scene with her son it's so heartbreaking ....

- So we have 

1. The JH photoshoot that are holding back

2. a new CF at some point this summer

3. a movie in 2020 ?

4. the Hollywood movie in 2021

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SuZy Leoo said:

Which is why i'm quite thrown off when people said her scenes in White Night or April Snow was too saucy....

Those two movies are always referred by other people when they say SYJ stripped - I've wondered why MWGM is always excluded in those discussions. I think it's her most daring movie yet. There was an actual love scene that lasted awhile, you can see bare side hips that indicates there's no underwear and only protective covering being used. But I gotta say, kudos to the director for placing the blankets very strategically. :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

12 hours ago, ElectricHearts said:

She did as people spotted her filming. 

From the comments, many arw planning to visit the site tomorrow night. Now, wondering whether they will change the shooting date as thw info is leaked. Or maybe not. Somehow.. hope to see a pic of her

22 years old Ye Jin

• Like 2

15 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Those two movies are always referred by other people when they say SYJ stripped - I've wondered why MWGM is always excluded in those discussions. I think it's her most daring movie yet. There was an actual love scene that lasted awhile, you can see bare side hips that indicates there's no underwear and only protective covering being used. But I gotta say, kudos to the director for placing the blankets very strategically. :lol:

:shaq:Its time for me to rewatch MWGM....though its not one of my favourites...hehe. Yes i dont understand why they insisted that she "stripped" for the movie when the scenes are not completely bear all - from those that movies that i have mentioned earlier..

17 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Which MWGM love scene are you referring to?

Did you watch the cut or uncut version of April Snow? In the uncut version, there is a longer love scene where you can see her side boobs and (the top of her) bare side hips.

Just uploaded by MSTeam. No Eng-subs.  Arrghh.... It is time MSTeam look into Eng/Ch-subs as SYJ's international fan base is growing so quickly now. 

I wish I know what they are talking about. :huh:

• Like 3

Yejin is filming a cf now and a kfan tweeted that she saw her. Said she is small and cute. 

From this naver cafe.. many commenters said that they saw roads are blocked and the scale of the shoot is quite big. There's also starbucks truck there

• Like 1