Jang Dong Gun 장동건

Admin

Published on October 18, 2017 by ARIRANG K-POP

[Showbiz Korea] Busan International Film Festival (BIFF 부산국제영화제)

BIFF Opening Ceremony & Red Carpet
The Busan International Film Festival, also known as BIFF is in its 22nd year this year, and it began with a lot of flare and fanfare! It is a renowned film festival in Asia so many Korean and foreign stars were in attendance. Countless number of fans and journalists were at the opening ceremony and Showbiz Korea was also there to get the scoop. We'll take you to BIFF right now!

• Like 1

On 10/4/2017 at 10:55 PM, willenette said:

***I’m happy that I’ve a chance again to see JDG in a drama. “Suits” is a popular drama in the US. It’s been quite a while, JDG..... Now, he’s gifting a drama designed to treat his Korean drama fans. Can't wait! :tongue:

Me too..... I am just weary about the scriptwriter.... I hope it is good.

Appologies to you and @rubie. I came here a few times to post after we spoke last,  and I could not post anything.  It seems that they have ironed out some of the wrinkles. Thank you both for all the updates.

Below are some more stills of Jang Dong Gun from Busan.

f51e61ad8040a8ab5ee5f0bcd6482f16.jpg

541d398eccec9c5652832ce53fe1ad9d.jpg

31df4aa6bab88702f50ae4b488aeee7c.jpg

source

I wonder if he is still going to do also City of Stars with Hyun Bin...  kitten-confused-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irilight said:

Me too..... I am just weary about the scriptwriter.... I hope it is good.

Appologies to you and @rubie. I came here a few times to post after we spoke last,  and I could not post anything.  It seems that they have ironed out some of the wrinkles. Thank you both for all the updates.

Below are some more stills of Jang Dong Gun from Busan.

source

I wonder if he is still going to do also City of Stars with Hyun Bin...  kitten-confused-smiley-emoticon.gif

Hi irilight, so NICE to see you back here, dear.....Thanks for sharing MORE pictures during Busan. JDG still looks sooooo fine. He ages gracefully. He's like wine. About City of Stars, haven't heard/read anything anymore about this project. I hope it wasn't shelved - hahaha - I remember I heard about it last year & slated to start filming last January since they plan to air this last May as what reported.....This is fully pre-produced. I hope it's happening. I hope we could get to hear some update about this soon. JDG & HB.....wahhh........... hotness overload.. they're buddies, too! This is exciting indeed, right? :tongue:

October 27, 2017

October Movie Actor Brand Reputation Rankings Revealed

Source: Soompi by A. Kim

On October 28, the Korean Business Research Institute announced the October brand reputation rankings for movie actors.

Ma Dong Seok topped the list following the success of his movie “The Outlaws,” which reached five million in attendance, and ahead of the November release of his new movie, “Brother.” Analysis of Ma Dong Seok’s brand revealed he is highly associated with the keywords “cool,” funny,” and “surprising,” with an overall 76.41 percent positive rating.

Lee Jong Suk took second place, and Gong Yoo followed in third. The brand reputation rankings for movie actors factor in participation index, media index, communication index, and community index when analyzing consumers’ brand consumption patterns.

The top 25 rankings are listed below:

1. Ma Dong Seok
2. Lee Jong Suk
3. Gong Yoo
4. Moon Geun Young
5. Yoon Kye Sang
6. Kim Soo Hyun
7. Lee Byung Hun
8. Choi Hee Seo
9. Jo Jin Woong
10. Yoo Ji Tae
11. Lee Je Hoon
12. Song Seung Heon
13. Ryu Jun Yeol
14. Park Sung Woong
15. Kim Sung Kyoon
16. Choi Min Sik
17. Song Joong Ki
18. Park Seo Joon
19. Son Ye Jin
20. Hyun Bin
21. Jang Dong Gun
22. Song Kang Ho
23. Lee Jung Hyun
24. Kim Hye Soo
25. Kim Yun Seok

Source (1)

• 2 months later...

Big-name stars return to TV via new dramas in 2018

Surging into 2018, dramas featuring returning stars and rising rookies are coming to light up viewers’ lives.

Jang Dong-gun is looking forward to returning to the small screen through “Suits,” a remake of the popular US drama series. Playing the role of a successful lawyer, played by Harvey Spector in the US series, Jang is to be joined by emerging star Park Hyung-sik. Set to air in the first half of the year on KBS2, the drama aims to continue the current courtroom drama trend. 

20180103000558_0.jpg

(skipped unrelated.....)

By Im Eun-byel (silverstar@heraldcorp.com)

Jang Dong Gun to establish one-man agency, but maintain various ties with SM C&C

jang-dong-gun.jpg

Actor Jang Dong Gun will be operating under a one-man agency once again.

The actor previously set up a one-man agency in 2008, but then joined SM C&C in 2012. However, his contract with the agency will end this year, and he has been receiving love calls from various places, but he will founding a one-man agency yet again with a manager whom he has worked with for a long time.

According to a representative from SM C&C, "It's true that Jang Dong Gun will be setting up a one-man agency, but we plan on maintaining various ties. We also cheer him on in his future endeavors." 

source : allkpop

*** I guess SM C&C will help him out for his overseas activities while his One-Man-Agency will be on domestic...... IDK if I'm correct here. I guess this multilateral partnership comes in. :lol:

SM C&C Comments On Jang Dong Gun Establishing A One-Person Agency

Jang-Dong-Gun.jpg

On January 10, a media outlet published an article stating that Jang Dong Gun is setting up a one-person agency.

SM Culture & Contents (SM C&C) confirmed in an official statement to News1, “It is true that Jang Dong Gun is setting up a one-person agency, but we are planning to maintain our multilateral partnership.” The agency then added, “We will cheer him on in his future endeavors.”

According to reports, Jang Dong Gun will set up a one-person agency with his manager who worked with him for a long time. This came as a result of discussions with SM C&C regarding his contract, which he signed in 2012.

Meanwhile, Jang Dong Gun will appear in films “Rampant” and “A Night of Seven Years,” which are set to premiere this year. The actor will also return to TV screens through the remake of “Suits” alongside Park Hyung Sik.

Source (1) / soompi news

January 11, 2018

Jang Dong-gun is leaving SM C&C

10213719.jpg

Veteran actor Jang Dong-gun will leave SM C&C, where he was signed for six years, and represent himself independently.

On Wednesday, the agency said “Although Jang is leaving the agency, he will still cooperate with the agency in various ways.”

In 2008, Jang established AM Entertainment, which was home to famous actors Kim Ha-neul, Han Ji-min and many more. However, it merged with SM C&C in 2012.

This year, Jang will be starring in several drama and movies including “Suits” on KBS2, which will premiere in April, and the movie “Night of 7 Years.”

By Hong You-kyoung

credit : JoongAngDaily

• 2 weeks later...

11 K-Pop Idols Who Started Their Own Record Labels

4 Jang Dong Gun

WXnaciyuoBFuy-ok1UW8rckK8JrOL_QOpkrCBu6G

Jang Dong Gun is one of Korea’s top male actors. He boasts award-winning acting skills and his look captivates viewers around the world, not just South Korea.

His last company was at SM Entertainment’s subsidiary label, SM C&C, but he left to pursue his individual company with his long-time manager and friend.

However, it seems that he didn’t part in bad terms as a representative from SM C&C most recently made a statement on January 10 with the following words:

“It is true that Jang Dong Gun has left the agency [SM C&C]. Even though he left for his own individual agency, we will continue to have business partnerships with him the future.”

— SM C&C

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : Koreaboo

[Lily's Take] Jang Dong-gun & Park Hyung-sik's New Drama "Suits"

photo938925.jpg

Top actors Jang Dong-gun and Park Hyung-sik are taking over the remake version of popular US drama, "Suits"!

photo938926.jpg

The Drama "Suits" originally aired in USA Network with its 7th season on air at the moment. Because "Suits" revolves around the two top-class lawyers, the viewers are presented with delightful features such as good-looking men dressed in fancy suits, a graceful, yet intimidating power play among the lawyers, and the captivating bromance chemistry between the two main characters.

photo938927.jpg

Actor Jang Dong-gun will be playing the role of Choi Kyeong-seo, which is based on the character Harvey Specter in the original US version. He is a first-class lawyer who've seen much success in his life. Performing near perfection in every task he is given, he is admired by everyone around him. This is the first character Jang Dong-gun will be playing since his last work in the drama "A Gentleman's Dignity" aired in 2012.

photo938928.jpg

Spoiler

Park Hyung-sik is the actor chosen for the role of Ko Yeon-woo, based on the original character Mike Ross. He will become the junior partner of Choi Kyeong-seo, clumsy but armed with an amazing photographic memory.

photo938929.jpg

The viewers are anticipating this unexpected bromance between Jang Dong-gun and Park Hyung-sik along with their fine suited looks.

photo938930.jpg

Director Kim Jin-woo-II, who proved his skills with the dramas "Healer" and "Mystery Queen", will oversee "Suits" this time and for the role of Jang Dong-gun's secretary, actress Chae Jung-an is considering the role as well as actress Ko Sung-hee on the role of Park Hyung-sik's partner.

By: Lily Lee

Source : 1boon.kakao.com/mykca...

credit : Hancinema

• 3 weeks later...

*** I was able to watch the movie, VIP - I find the movie good. Lee Jong-Suk’s character in the movie is a distorted boy in the man’s body. For me, the flaw of this movie is its lack of suspense. Although, Jang Dong-gun faithfully delivered his character very well. I'd be lying if I didn't say that I expected a little more action out of this one but by the end the lack of it didn't really bother me.:lol:

zombie sageuk all wrapped up

jz4.jpg

Fliming for zombie sageuk, Rampant has wrapped after five months of filming. Headlined by Hyun Bin and Jang Dong Gun, it is one of the most highly anticipated blockbusters in the pipeline. Jang Dong Gun has already signed up for the Korean drama remake of Suits, while Hyun Bin is reportedly considering the offer to star in a romance melodrama penned by the writer of Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim. Park Shin Hye is said to be the favoured leading lady for the project.

jz2.jpg

source : https://breathlesssurvival.wordpress.com/2018/02/20/zombie-sageuk-all-wrapped-up/

February 27, 2018

Jang Dong-gun to blur line between good and evil in ‘Seven Years of Night’

Director Choo Chang-min managed to do something that nearly no one had managed to do: He made Jang Dong-gun, one of the most marketable figures and the perennial sex symbol of Korean cinema, somewhat unattractive.

“The point (of casting Jang) was how it would be if an actor whose face represents the good depicted the evil,” Choo said, in a press conference for the upcoming movie “Seven Years of Night” held in Seoul on Tuesday.

The thriller, based on a novel of the same name by Jung Yoo-jung, follows the story of two men. Choi Hyun-soo --played by Ryu Seung-ryong -- is a middle-aged man haunted by an unintended murder of a young girl seven years ago, and Oh Young-je -- played by Jang -- is the father of the murdered girl who seeks the most brutal revenge on Choi.

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20180227

From left: Ryu Seung-ryong, Jang Dong-gun, Go Kyung-pyo and director Choo Chang-min pose for a photo during a press conference for the upcoming movie “Seven Years of Night.” (Yonhap)

The film seeks to be more than just an action-packed revenge story of an infuriated and deeply scarred father. Choo attempts to venture into the raw emotions of people with the most harrowing experiences.

After the massive commercial and critical success of his 2012 period piece “Masquerade,” he said he wanted to explore not only the good in human nature, but other sides as well.

Oh is a remorseless psychopath who will stop at nothing for his cause. Choi, on the other hand, is just an ordinary man who made “the irreversible mistake” in the worst timing imaginable.

Jang’s transformation extends beyond a makeover that included a receding hairline to make the still-stunning actor look old. The veteran actor said his focus was to make the audience follow an “incomprehensible character.”

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20180227

Ryu Seung-ryong (left) and Jang Dong-gun pose for a photo during a press conference for the upcoming movie “Seven Years of Night.” (Yonhap)

“I tried to look past the fact that he’s a psychopath, and attempted to approach him (Oh) as a human being, I pondered how one would think while doing such things,” said Jang. “My thought was to not just depict him as pure evil, but to express the evil in the human nature that resides within everyone.”

Ryu, coming off the movie “Psychokinesis” where he plays another ordinary man caught in extraordinary events, said he had to depict the diverse emotions that his character goes through.

“I had to depict the fear while being desperate, and dive into the deepest states of human emotions,” he said. “He (Choi), in the state of panic, made a wrong choice. He hides, defends, but is plagued by guilt and fear. Sustaining that level of emotion was hardest for me.”

Another actor who went through transformation for his character was Go Kyung-pyo, who shaved his head and shed 15 kilograms to play the son of a murderer suffering from the weight of his father’s sins.

“I wished to convey an image of a young, rebellious, son but also with a hint of longing (for his father),” said Go. His makeover included a scar on the forehead, which was his idea of showing the pain and immaturity of his character Oh.

In order to convincingly play a character that misses his father, he said he put up a picture of Ryu in his home and pretended Ryu was his long-lost father while he rehearsed lines.

Song Sae-byeok, while absent at the event, is expected to show his famed acting range in playing Choi Hyun-soo’s co-worker Ahn Seung-hwan. He hides a dark secret concerning the tragedy that takes place at Seryeong village.

The isolated village of Seryeong is another important element of the film, director Choo noted.

“It is the most attractive element of the novel, so depicting that place was important. We searched the whole country for locations with elements of Seryeong, and put them together on camera,” he said.

The brief video clips shown at the press event suggests that like the village, the film will be a dark story that will plunge deep into the darkest parts of human nature.

“Seven Years of Night” opens in local theaters on March 28.

By Yoon Min-sik (minsikyoon@heraldcorp.com)

10 Classic Korean Films To Introduce To Your Non K-Entertainment Friends

Korean movies are a great way to share your passion for Korean entertainment with friends who aren’t as familiar with it as you are. Most of the stories and scripts, you will find, can draw you into their world despite being in a different language. If you’re looking for some recommendations of Korean films to introduce to your friends and family who aren’t familiar with K-entertainment, here’s a look at just 10 classic movies that have stood the test of time and have been spotlighted around the world. There is a bit of every genre, so there’s something for everyone to enjoy!

Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War

tae-guk-gi.jpg

“Tae Guk Gi” is considered to be one of the best Korean war films of all time. It follows the story of two brothers, Lee Jin Tae, played by Jang Dong Gun, and Lee Jin Suk, played by Won Bin. The two get drafted into the war and are forced to fight. It’s an emotional story of Jin Tae promising his family that he will do everything he can to protect his younger brother Jin Suk and bring him home safe.

It’s an emotional war story and as the main premise is based on brotherhood and family, it’s one that anyone can relate to and feel connected with.

Watch the trailer here:

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : soompi news

10+ Restaurants That Celebs Are Always Spotted At

Visit these restaurants if you want to meet a celebrity!

Heading to Seoul? Hungry? Then why don’t you try these restaurants where you’ll likely run into a celebrity!

4. Dwaeji House

This restaurant is located at 891-2 Siheung 1(il)-dong, Geumcheon-gu, Seoul, South Korea and is famous for their pork.

oy-RPfz35_uSa_JiXFe9nc-9w6ihV_wOwgth_EYl

BlockB and Jang Dong Gun have been spotted at this restaurant!

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : koreaboo

How much Top K-Drama Stars Make Per Episode May Surprise You

K-Pop artists make a lot of money but Korean actors and actresses make even more money.

Even wondered how profitable becoming a famous K-drama star really is?

In more recent years, Jang Dong Gun received 100 million won (~93,000 USD) per episode for SBS’s A Gentlemen’s Dignity (2012). 

k8afP5Pf4dhkgicmS7DLoRVuVrNrtv2yCTcoZKLF

Although the actor is receiving huge amount per episode, disparity in payroll between the female and male stars are clear.

source : koreaboo

tvN Movies Rolls Out Operation March

tvN MoviesWorld’s FIRST and ONLY Korean Blockbuster movie channel – brings to the audience a series of action blockbusters to kick the Monday blues and continues to deliver weekly blockbuster premieres, as well as introduces talented rising stars.

typhoon.jpg

Mon, 5 Mar @ 22:00

TYPHOON

Cast: Lee Jung-Jae, Jang Dong-Gun, Lee Mi-Youn

Director: Kwak Kyung-Taek

A rebel who defected from North Korea only to find himself turned away by South Korean authorities decides to exact vengeance on South Korea, engaging in a level of terrorism that could very well result in numerous deaths across both Koreas.

(skipped unrelated.....)

source ; koreancrazed

March 20, 2018

Jang Dong Gun & Park Hyung Sik at first 'Suits' shooting

New KBS drama 'Suits' will premiere following the finale of 'Queen of Mystery 2'.

15215218770002765555_001_201803190804170

'Suits' is a popular American series that is currently airing season 7 in the United States, and it is being remade for the first time in Korea. The drama recently began shooting, and stills of the first shoot showing the two main actors in suits were revealed.

Jang Dong Gun plays Choi Gyeongseo, a legendary lawyer working for Korea's best law firm. He has chosen to come back to small screen for the first time in 6 years with 'Suits.'

Park Hyung Sik plays Go Yeonu, who is recruited by Choi Gyeongseo. He is a newbie lawyer with a fake license and a photographic memory.

During an interview, Park Hyung Sik talked about his chemistry with Jang Dong Gun, who is his senior in the industry. He said, 'The drama itself is fun and the characters are attractive, but I was more excited about working with Jang Dong Gun. When I met him in person, he was really gentle and warm. I was thankful. I think I'll be able to show a special bromance with Jang Dong Gun.'

credit : KBS Global

***Finally.... some update on this drama! Hmmm.........it's been quite a long while since the last series of JDG. How quickly time flies. I'll be watching this. :lol: I can't wait for this! I hope this will be a HIT! Holding thumbs! Will support the drama. I'm not really into remakes/sequels/part 2s but somehow I'm actually excited for this remake.

Jang Dong Gun And Park Hyung Sik Test Their Bromance Chemistry In Script Read-Through For “Suits” Remake

park-hyung-sik-jang-dong-gun-suits.jpg

Recently the upcoming Korean drama remake of “Suits” released photos from its script read-through with the cast.

See Also: Jang Dong Gun And Park Hyung Sik Are Handsome Lawyers In First Look At Upcoming Korean Remake Of "Suits"

Slated to premiere in April on KBS 2TV, “Suits” is a South Korean remake of the popular American legal drama of the same name. It is currently still airing in the United States, having recently been renewed for an eighth season.

Present at the script read-through was director Kim Jin Woo, writer Kim Jung Min, lead actors Jang Dong Gun and Park Hyung Sik, and supporting cast Jin Hee Kyung, Chae Jung An, Go Sung Hee, and Choi Gui Hwa.

Suits--540x564.jpg

Of particular focus in both the drama and the read-through was the chemistry between Jang Dong Gun and Park Hyung Sik. Jang Dong Gun plays a legendary lawyer at South Korea’s top law firm, while Park Hyung Sik plays a rookie lawyer with the memory of a prodigy. Although this was the actors’ first time working together, they showed off a good rapport during their back-and-forth scenes in the read-through.

Other characters include the charismatic Kang Ha Yeon (Jin Hee Kyung), legal secretary Hong Da Ham (Chae Jung An), and paralegal Kim Ji Na (Go Sung Hee).

“Suits” will begin airing on April 25.

Source (1) / soompi news

Jang Dong Gun And Park Hyung Sik Are Handsome Lawyers In First Look At Upcoming Korean Remake Of “Suits”

Jang-Dong-Gun-Park-Hyung-Sik.jpg

Upcoming KBS 2TV drama “Suits” has released photos of Jang Dong Gun and Park Hyung Sik from their first day of filming.

See Also: Jang Dong Gun And Park Hyung Sik Test Their Bromance Chemistry In Script Read-Through For "Suits" Remake

“Suits” will be the Korean remake of the popular American legal drama series that takes place at a fictional New York City law firm.

Jang Dong Gun will play the role of a legendary lawyer at a top law firm named Choi Kang Suk (the Korean counterpart of Harvey Specter). He is a man who has everything in the world and doesn’t envy anyone. Surrounded by luxury, he looks relaxed yet charismatic in the photo.

This will be Jang Dong Gun’s return to TV screens after six years since his last drama appearance, which was in “A Gentleman’s Dignity.”

Jang-Dong-Gun.jpg

He will be joined by Park Hyung Sik, who will portray a new law associate named Go Yeon Woo (the Korean counterpart of Mike Ross), who doesn’t have a law license or a college degree but has the memory of a genius.

In the photo, Park Hyung Sik looks young but grown-up, and ready to enter Korea’s top law firm.

“Suits” will premiere on April 25 and air on Wednesdays and Thursdays as the follow-up drama to “Mystery Queen 2.”

Source (1) / soompi news