Jang Dong Gun 장동건

Admin

@willenette I was not keen on "The Promise" . I don't remember much of it right now except for my feelings of disappointment.

There is already a thread for the new Chinese drama with Jang Dong Gun.

http://forums.soompi.com/en/topic/388072-upcoming-mainland-chinese-drama-2017-once-loved-you-distressed-forever-我曾爱过你想起就心酸/

Here are some of Jang Dong Guns stills from it.

photo Dis 2.jpg

photo Dis 4.jpg

photo Dis 3.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, irilight said:

@willenette I was not keen on "The Promise" . I don't remember much of it right now except for my feelings of disappointment.

There is already a thread for the new Chinese drama with Jang Dong Gun.

http://forums.soompi.com/en/topic/388072-upcoming-mainland-chinese-drama-2017-once-loved-you-distressed-forever-我曾爱过你想起就心酸/

Here are some of Jang Dong Guns stills from it.

Hi irilight, thanks for sharing the still cuts from the C-drama. So, he's starting filming the series already, huh? I guess JDG receives a lot of money for his TF here considering that he accepts to do this C-drama. :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

August 19, 2016

Jang Dong-gun will star in new film ‘VIP’

QActor Jang Dong-gun has been confirmed to star in a new movie, “VIP.” 

The upcoming film will revolve around the son of a high-ranking official in North Korea committing a series of murders, leading South and North Korean police to chase after him. Jang’s role has not yet been disclosed.

“Jang, who recently came back to Korea after shooting for a drama in China, decided to work with filmmaker Park Hoon-jung,” said a source from the movie industry. “Once the audition for casting for new celebrities has been completed, the shooting for the movie will begin,” which is expected for October.

Jang was reportedly the first person the director cast in the movie. 

Other stars will include actors Park Hee-soon and Kim Myung-min. 

The upcoming film has been getting attention for both its A-list cast and the director’s strong previous films, which include “New World’ (2013) and “The Unjust” (2010).

By Jin Min-ji 

Credit : JoongAngDaily

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@willenette, from what I understand, they already completed filming the Cdrama. Now, I am hoping it gets subbed

Thank you for the article about the new film.

Here is another article about it

JANG Dong-gun Cast in PARK Hoon-jung’s VIP

KIM Myung-min, PARK Hee-soon and LEE Jong-suk to Co-Star 

YWfSOHBhOxaAxRGiVrDw.png

Director PARK Hoon-jung has assembled a lineup of major stars for his next film VIP, his follow up to last winter’s Colonial Era hunting drama The Tiger with CHOI Min-shik. JANG Dong-gun, KIM Myung-min, PARK Hee-soon and LEE Jong-suk are among the big names that will take part in the new thriller.

The film will focus on the son of a North Korean official who has been responsible for a series of murders. Police from both the North and South band together to bring down the killer.

JANG, who was the first person to be cast in the project, recently completed shooting a drama series in China. He will also soon be seen in CHOO Chang-min’s upcoming thriller Night of 7 Years which wrapped back in May. Meanwhile, KIM was seen in Proof of Innocence at the beginning of the summer and will soon be seen in disaster film Pandora and the drama One Day. Following a three year break, PARK reappeared on screens late this summer, first on the road comedy DETOUR and then with a special cameo in KIM Jee-woon’s The Age of Shadows. TV superstar LEE has been busy on the small screen since Hot Young Bloods (2014).

Director PARK, who came to prominence as the writer of RYOO Seung-wan’s The Unjust (2010) and KIM Jee-woon’s I Saw The Devil (2010), has now directed three films, including his debut The Showdown (2011) and the hit gangster thriller New World (2013).  VIP is set to go before cameras in October.  

source: KOBIZ

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, irilight said:

@willenette, from what I understand, they already completed filming the Cdrama. Now, I am hoping it gets subbed

Thank you for the article about the new film.

Here is another article about it

JANG Dong-gun Cast in PARK Hoon-jung’s VIP

KIM Myung-min, PARK Hee-soon and LEE Jong-suk to Co-Star

Director PARK Hoon-jung has assembled a lineup of major stars for his next film VIP, his follow up to last winter’s Colonial Era hunting drama The Tiger with CHOI Min-shik. JANG Dong-gun, KIM Myung-min, PARK Hee-soon and LEE Jong-suk are among the big names that will take part in the new thriller.

The film will focus on the son of a North Korean official who has been responsible for a series of murders. Police from both the North and South band together to bring down the killer.

JANG, who was the first person to be cast in the project, recently completed shooting a drama series in China. He will also soon be seen in CHOO Chang-min’s upcoming thriller Night of 7 Years which wrapped back in May. Meanwhile, KIM was seen in Proof of Innocence at the beginning of the summer and will soon be seen in disaster film Pandora and the drama One Day. Following a three year break, PARK reappeared on screens late this summer, first on the road comedy DETOUR and then with a special cameo in KIM Jee-woon’s The Age of Shadows. TV superstar LEE has been busy on the small screen since Hot Young Bloods (2014).

Director PARK, who came to prominence as the writer of RYOO Seung-wan’s The Unjust (2010) and KIM Jee-woon’s I Saw The Devil (2010), has now directed three films, including his debut The Showdown (2011) and the hit gangster thriller New World (2013).  VIP is set to go before cameras in October.  

source: KOBIZ

Hi irilight, thanks for sharing this great news. I'm happy that there's something more to look forward to about him soon. I can't wait! Bring it on! :P

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

October 20, 2016

Actors cast for upcoming N.K. defector crime film

SEOUL, Oct. 20 (Yonhap) -- Film distributor Warner Brothers Korea said Thursday that movie stars Jang Dong-gun, Kim Myung-min, Park Hee-soon and Lee Jong-suk will shoot an upcoming film starting Oct. 22.

"VIP" revolves around a North Korean defector who is the prime suspect in a serial murder and is pursued by both the police and a spy.

Actor Lee is to play the suspect, while Jang was cast as a mediator between the CIA and the Korean National Intelligence Service.

Kim is to star as a policeman and Park will appear as a North Korean spy.

"The film will let people see the new side of each actor. It will be more than just a noir," director Park Hoon-jung, well known for his movie "New World," said.

The crime movie will reach theaters in 2017.

This undated photo provided by film distributor Warner Brothers Korea shows, from left to right, Park Hee-soon, Jang Dong-gun, Park Hoon-jung, Kim Myung-min and Lee Jong-suk. (Yonhap)

This undated photo provided by film distributor Warner Brothers Korea shows, from left to right, Park Hee-soon, Jang Dong-gun, Park Hoon-jung, Kim Myung-min and Lee Jong-suk. (Yonhap)

yujeoungkr@yna.co.kr

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@willenette and @rubie, thank you for the updates.

Looks like Jang Dong-Gun may be in a new Kdrama.

Hyun Bin and Jang Dong Gun clarify rumors about a new drama

hyun-bin,jang-dong-gun

Hyun Bin and Jang Dong Gun's labels spoke up in response to rumors about the two actors working together in a new drama. 

Previously, it was reported that Hyun Bin was confirmed to play the lead role in a new drama about aerospace titled 'City of Star'. Later, an additional report claimed that Jang Dong Gun was in talks to join the production as another lead actor. 

On December 28, Jang Dong Gun's label, SM C&C, responded to the reports with, "We have not received an offer for the drama 'City of Star'." Hyun Bin's label, VAST Entertainment, also stated, "It's true that Hyun Bin was given an offer for 'City of Star'; however, no agreements have been made. His appearance has not been confirmed."

'City of Star', telling the story od two men and their aerospace project, is the first drama in 22 years by director Jang Jin. 

Stay tuned for updates on 'City of Star'. 

source

Happy-Holiday-Graphic-02.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

January 6, 2017

The most anticipated films of 2017 :

The upcoming year is filled with political thrillers and exciting adventures

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

05200235.jpg

A new year usually fills moviegoers with anticipation and excitement. This year will be a particularly appealing one for film fans, as a number of big name directors such as Bong Joon-ho and high profile actors, including So Ji-sub and Song Joong-ki, are slated to return to the big screen for the first time in several years. 

Some of the most awaited films in 2017 are still in production and still have working titles, including “Special Citizen”, which is about an ambitious man that makes a third attempt to run for Seoul mayor, and “Single Rider,” which questions what true happiness is. Among the Korea JoongAng Daily’s picks are “V.I.P.,” “Okja,” “With God,” “Taxi Driver” and “Battleship Island.” 

05200246.jpg  
Some highly anticipating local movies slated for release this year include “V.I.P.,” “Battleship Island,” “Okja” and “Taxi Driver.” [WARNER BROS. KOREA, CJ ENTERTAINMENT, NETFLIX, SHOWBOX]

V.I.P.

Directed by Park Hoon-jung of “I Saw the Devil” (2010), the upcoming political thriller “V.I.P.” is a star-studded film that features actors Jang Dong-gun, Park Hee-soon, Kim Myung-min and Lee Jong-suk. The movie unfolds as a V.I.P. from North Korea (Lee) is suspected to be a serial killer. Different people, including a cop (Kim), a National Intelligence Service agent (Jang) and a North Korean spy (Park) all work to become the first to catch the suspect. It will not be the first political film from the filmmaker. “The Unjust” (2010), which he wrote the script for, dealt with politics between a cop, a prosecutor and the mafia, and his “New World” (2012) depicts the internal politics among gangsters. The release date hasn’t been determined.

Okja

Highly-regarded filmmaker Bong Joon-ho, whose well-known movies include “Snowpiercer” (2013), “The Host” (2006) and “Memories of Murder” (2003), will release a new science-fiction adventure drama “Okja.” Funded by Netflix with a budget of $50 million, the film depicts the friendship of a girl named Mi-ja who lives deep in the mountains of Gangwon and a mysterious creature named Okja. The story develops as Okja suddenly goes missing. The movie will delve into the strange adventures of the girl and the creature. “Okja,” which features big Hollywood stars such as Tilda Swinton, is slated to drop in the early part of the year at local theaters, and will also be available in 190 countries through Netflix. 

With God

“With God” is a fantasy drama that depicts the 49-day journey of afterlife messengers in the human world while trials of dead people are being held in the underworld. Helmed by Kim Yong-hwa of the 2006 romantic comedy “200 Pounds Beauty,” the upcoming film is an adaptation of the webtoon that goes by the same title. Around 80 percent of the film, in which actors Ha Jung-woo, Cha Tae-hyun and Ju Ji-hoon appear, has been completed as of last month. The release date, however, hasn’t been decided. 

Taxi Driver

Those who wish to learn more about the Democratization Movement in 1980s Gwangju, where students clashed with soldiers to protest the authoritarian rule of military junta leader Chun Doo-hwan, should check out “Taxi Driver,” when it drops in summer. The film depicts the journey of a German journalist named Peter who heads to Gwangju to report on the shocking news that was suppressed from being covered by the mass media in Korea. The movie unfolds from the perspectives of two outsiders: the foreign journalist and his taxi driver that had no idea about what was happening in Gwangju (as the event wasn’t shown on the news). It is helmed by Jang Hun of the award-winning “The Front Line” (2011), and stars actor Song Kang-ho and German actor Thomas Kretschmann.

Battleship Island

Last year saw a number of historical films such as “The Last Princess” and “The Age of Shadows.” The trend will continue with director Ryoo Seung-wan’s “Battleship Island,” which refers to Hashima Island, where Korean forced labor was used. Set during the Japanese colonization of Korea (1910-45), the movie looks into the social hierarchy and relationships through the journey of 400 Koreans that strive to escape from the Japanese island, where victims had been forced to work. Starring actors Hwang Jung-min, So Ji-sub and Song Joong-ki, the film is scheduled to be released this summer.

BY JIN MIN-JI [jin.minji@joongang.co.kr]

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

*** Can't wait to see JDG again on the screen. It's been quite a long while....................... :lol:

Upcoming Film “V.I.P.” Gives First Sneak-Peek Of Jang Dong Gun, Kim Myung Min, And Lee Jong Suk On Set

VIP 1

The film “V.I.P.” starring Jang Dong Gun, Kim Myung Min, Park Hee Soon, and Lee Jong Suk, recently released some behind-the-scenes photos of the actors on set.

According to the distributing agency Warner Brothers Korea, “V.I.P.” has finished its three-month filming process as of last week.

This film is about an unstoppable North Korean VIP who becomes a prime suspect of a serial murder case. Therefore, agents from South Korea’s special investigation unit, North Korea’s secret agency, and CIA as well as NIS all work together to catch him.

VIP Lee Jong Suk

The character Park Jae Hyuk, who goes back and forth from the CIA and South Korea’s NIS, will be played by Jang Dong Gun. A part of the police chasing the VIP will be played by Kim Myung Min, and the secret agent from North Korea will be played by Park Hee Soon. The North Korean VIP, Kim Kwang Il, will be played by Lee Jong Suk.

The cast and crew traveled to Thailand, Hong Kong, and more during the three months of filming to create diverse shots and scenes.

The director Park Hoon Jung stated, “I’m always relieved yet sad when I’m done with a project. I plan on giving my all for the remainder of the time. The actors and staff all worked very hard.”

VIP 2

The actors had a chance to relay their thoughts on the film, and Jang Dong Gun said, “Fans of director Park Hoon Jung’s previous works will be able to enjoy this film as well.”

Kim Myung Min commented, “This film brings out the unique colors of the four actors. I had fun working with all the staff members.”

Park Hee Soon said, “We worked hard during the cold weather to finish this film so please look forward to it.”

Lastly, Lee Jong Suk said, “I am anticipating this film very much, and I was able to have fun with a ‘galaxy’ of actors while filming.”

“V.I.P.” has now gone into post-production and is expected to premiere in South Korea sometime in 2017.

Source (1) / soompi news

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

These Are Korea’s TOP 11 Sexiest Actors Over 30 Years Old

These 11 actors may have all left their 20s behind them, but that definitely doesn’t mean they’re not still total heartthrobs.

While most actors are considered most attractive during their 20s, these 11 men are proving that this isn’t always the case. They have taken being sexy to a completely new level—and they’re all over 30 years old.

Check out 11of the hottest Korean actors that are over 30 years old below:

8. Jang Dong Gun

Jang Dong Gun may be 45 years old, but he has remained handsome throughout the years.

JangDongGun-e1494287370968.jpg

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : Koreaboo

• Like 1

*** I hope he's going to take this movie. :lol:

Jang Dong-gun offered a role in "Rampant" with Hyeon Bin

photo847777.jpg

Actor Jang Dong-gun was offered a role in the movie "Rampant" with Hyeon Bin.

It's true that he was given a role but he hasn't set his mind on it set.

"Rampant" is a medieval zombie movie in which Lee Cheong (Hyeon Bin) struggles to save the Joseon from evil that appears only at night.

Jang Dong-gun was offered an opposing character to Lee Cheong. The two are known to be good friends.

The movie is to be directed by Kim Seong-hoon-III from "Confidential Assignment".

Source : star.mk.co.kr/new/vie...

Translation : Hancinema

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

August 2, 2017

Jang Dong-gun to take the mound

01211950.jpg

Actor Jang Dong-gun will throw the ceremonial first pitch at Citi Field on Aug. 6 as part of the stadium’s Korean Day.

Jang is the first Korean celebrity to pitch at the New York Mets’ stadium.

His appearance will be broadcast on ESPN in America and MBC Sports+ in Korea.

The festival is co-hosted by Arirang TV and TKC TV and is sponsored by the Korean Cultural Center New York. It aims to promote Korean pop culture and the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics.

“It’s an immense honor to pitch at a Major League Baseball game, and this is a joyous occasion for meeting those who bring great cultural content to American viewers. I myself will provide a better performance as an actor as well.”

The New York Mets will meet the LA Dodgers for the match, and organizers are hoping that another Korean star, Ryu Hyun-jin, will happen will make an appearance.

Ryu has a chance of being selected for the game, seeing how he pitched seven scoreless innings against the San Francisco Giants on July 31.

By Bae Seung-hoon

credit : JoongAngDaily

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

August 18, 2017

(LEAD) (Yonhap Interview) Actor Jang Dong-gun says 'V.I.P.' is quite realistic

By Shim Sun-ah

SEOUL, Aug. 18 (Yonhap) -- In director Park Hoon-jung's latest crime-action thriller "V.I.P.," the intelligence agencies of the U.S. and South Korea, along with police authorities from South and North Korea, are pitted against each other to bring in a North Korean defector who is the son of a key political figure for their own agendas.

Although every piece of evidence points to his being the key culprit of serial murders that rocked North Korea and later South Korea, he evades legal punishment under protection from the powerful state organizations of both countries.

"In the film, the situation facing South Korea appears to be a lot like that in North Korea. That's why I think this film feels quite realistic," its main actor Jang Dong-gun said during an interview with Yonhap News Agency on Friday.

This photo provided by Warner Bros. Korea shows actor Jang Dong-gun of "V.I.P." (Yonhap)

This photo provided by Warner Bros. Korea shows actor Jang Dong-gun of "V.I.P." (Yonhap)

Jang's character is Park Jae-hyuk, a South Korean state intelligence agent who takes in Kim Gwang-il from the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency to help him defect to South Korea without knowing that the young North Korean is a psychopathic serial killer. Realizing his true nature, Park falls into a dilemma.

Jang said he thinks Jae-hyuk is a practical man who knows what's right and wrong but ignores that to survive in a highly competitive world and he, as an actor, loved the character that undergoes a change of mind.

Responding to some criticism that he never showed subtle emotional transformations, Jang said he intentionally tried not to do so.

"I discussed whether to expose the emotions a lot with the director, and the conclusion was, 'Let's not expose,' because if feelings are exposed, this may weaken the film's last twist."

Jang said he initially felt uneasy about the idea but he was convinced the director was right as filming progressed. "I'm drawn more to 'dry' films these days rather than ones where emotions overflow. I think 'V.I.P.' is the type of film that I like."

When questioned about his chemistry with the other three main cast members -- Lee Jong-suk, Kim Myung-min and Park Hee-soon -- Jang said he could not see them that often in the same filming locations except for Kim. "The screen time is equally split among the four actors like a 400-meter relay," he said, laughing. So, for the actors, the press and industry prescreening on Wednesday was the first time to check out how the screenplay was made into a film, he added.

It would mark the veteran actor's return to the local screen after "No Tears for the Dead" (2014) by director Lee Jeong-beom.

Jang later filmed a thriller based on "Seven Years of Darkness," the best-selling Korean novel by Jeong You-jeong, and stayed in China to shoot a TV drama before coming back to Korea to do "V.I.P."

"Seven Years" is set to get a domestic release soon, but the Chinese drama "I Feel Sick When I Think of You That I Loved," in which Jang took the male lead, has yet to hit the air due to China's tacit ban on Korean TV stars. The series was supposed to be broadcast on China's Hunan satellite TV late last year.

For having a career spanning 25 years, Jang is not a prolific actor. He, however, showed a strong desire to work more, saying he regrets that he has so far done only a small number of films and TV dramas.

"After many years of testing my limitations, I now know where I should be. I'm trying to do the best I can within my limits," he said.

"V.I.P." is set to hit local theaters on Thursday.

sshim@yna.co.kr

(END)

• Like 1

I super look forward to seeing V.I.P

Jang Dong-gun Comes out with Another R-Rated Film

Actor Jang Dong-gun is set to show off his rugged side, taking on a tough-guy role in an action-packed spy film to be released next week.

"It was my first time wearing glasses for a role since a TV series I appeared in about 20 years ago. I felt unnatural, as if I were wearing a disguise. In fact I tried on about 100 pairs to find the right ones before shooting started," Jang said at a press event on Thursday ahead of the release of the film "V.I.P."

Thanks to his pretty face, he has played mostly warm, romantic roles on TV. But when it comes to movies, things are different. Like many of his films, the new film carries an R rating. Asked if his good looks limit the types of characters he can play, he replied, "Why should they?"

"I grew up watching 'The Godfather' series and Hong Kong noir films. Maybe that's why I tend to play dark and heavy characters. Like many other actors, I choose projects that suit my personal tastes," he said.

2017081900320_0.jpg

Jang was recently invited to throw out the ceremonial first pitch at a Major League Baseball game between the New York Mets and the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Jang is not only a baseball buff, but also a talented player, serving as the starting pitcher for an amateur team launched in 2003 by a group of actors and other celebrities as a social activity.

"We usually play on Sundays, but I haven't been able to play much for the past five years because I needed to spend time with my children," said Jang, who has a son and a daughter.

He and his wife, actress Ko So-young, are known to be a devoted couple. "So-young really brightened up and gained confidence from her appearance in the recent TV series 'Ms. Perfect,' which marked her return to acting after a 10-year break. Seeing her happy made me happy," he said.

SOURCE:

• Like 1