Jang Dong Gun 장동건

Admin

• Guest unfeatured this topic

Stock rich Korean celebrities

Musician Yang Hyun-suk retained his title as wealthiest celebrity (in terms of equity assets), according to data compiled by Chaebol.com, which tracks the country’s family-run conglomerates, on Monday.

(skipped unrelated.....)

Other celebrities in the top 10 include chief of FNC Entertainment housing F.T. Island and CNBLUE Han Seong-ho (third), actor and businessman Bae Yong-joon (fourth), musical actress Ham Yeonji (fifth), JYP (sixth), actress Kyeon Mi-ri (seventh) and Jang Dong-gun (tenth).

(khnews@heraldcorp.com)

December 12, 2015

Photographer to Hold Adoption-Themed Exhibition Again This Year

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

Cho Sei-hon

Cho Sei-hon

Photographer Cho Sei-hon will hold an exhibition in Seoul late this month, just ahead of Christmas. Now in its 13th year, the exhibition has become an annual event for Cho, who has devoted much of his time over the past decade to taking pictures to raise awareness of adoption.

Again this year, more than 20 celebrities, including singer Lee Moon-se and former baseball player Park Chan-ho, posed for photographs with babies who are up for adoption. 

The project began when Cho took pictures of babies who were awaiting adoption in 2003, after a social worker requested him to take pictures of them celebrating their 100th-day birthdays.

It was initially a one-time thing, but later he thought the photos would help raise awareness of adoption, and the shoot led to an exhibition. So far, he has photographed 600 babies with celebrities and stars in various fields.

The photo shoots are rarely easy, as the babies have to be kept calm and comfortable while the photos are shot. For this year's shoot, Cho planned to take pictures of 15 babies, but five were unable to pose because they were unwell. "I have two daughters, so I know how to take care of babies; I changed their diapers and fed them when they were babies. But still it never runs smoothly," Cho said. 

The decade-long project has had wide-ranging impacts. Actor couple Jang Dong-gun and Ko So-young, who participated in the project in 2005, donated W100 million to help adopted children and single mothers, and some participants adopted babies of their own (US$1=W1,181).

"I didn't expect I'd be able to work on this project for such a long time, but it’s been 13 years already. This has been possible mainly because I've been able to see people's thinking toward adoption changing, and I've felt that I was able to be of some help in that," Cho said.

"These days more people are considering adopting children. Those who first notice the celebrities in the photos later recall the babies next to them," he added.

Cho said he also realized that the biggest change had been in himself. "The project encouraged me to find various ways to contribute to society as a photographer," he said. Among his other activities, Cho helps homeless people and poor children learn how to take pictures in order to let them find jobs as photographers.

He has also volunteered at refugee camps in Lebanon and Nepal as a photographer for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

20 heartfelt moments when Korean stars gave back to communities

(skipped unrelated.....)

15. Jang Dong Gun

kim-woo-bin_1453162322_c3.png

In 2008,Jang Dong Gun was appointed as Ambassador Against Hunger for Korea by the World Food Programme. Since that time, he has donated to the fight against world hunger, even in person by heading to typhoon-stricken areas of Laos in 2010.

source : allkpop

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2016 at 1:50 AM, potato11 said:

I like the 4th pic. Tomorrow is his birthday (same as my niece) . Hope to hear good news about him

Credit: Starseoultv.com

Hi potato11, thanks for the reminder about his birthday..........Gosh, I almost forgot that it was his special day yesterday, March 7.....I forgot to drop by on this thread. Well, better late than never at all............:D

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Oppa! I hope you have a year without regrets.............

I hope he had a grand time spending the day with his family.... :P

• 1 month later...

Jang Dong-gun and Ko So-young's house wins World Architecture Award

photo715606.jpg

Actors Jang Dong-gun and Ko So-young's house in Gapyeong has been awarded the World Architecture Award.

The World Architecture Community revealed that their house has been selected for 'completion' which includes architecture, critic, scholar and architecture magazine editors' votes.

This house in Gapyeong is a 5 storey building which surrounds the yard on the inside unlike other houses.

Source : news.donga.com/3/all/...

Translation : Hancinema

• Like 1

Celebrity couple’s house wins in World Architecture Awards

Korean celebrity couple Jang Dong-gun and Ko So-young’s house in Gapyeong, Gyeonggi Province, has won in the 22nd World Architecture Awards, the World Architecture Community announced Tuesday.

The couple’s Sincheon-ri House was built by Kwak Hee-soo, principal of IDMM Architects, in December 2013, upon the couple’s request for a serene shelter from their hectic routines, explained IDMM.

20160420001198_0.jpg
Couple Jang Dong-gun and Ko So-young’s Sincheon-ri House in Gapyeong, Gyeonggi Province. (IDMM Architects)

The World Architecture Awards, held three times a year since 2008, is divided into three competition categories: Realized Award, Designed Award, and Student Award. In each category, honorary members and previous winners select 10 winners, and community members select five winners.

The Sincheon-ri House was in the Realized Award category. It was selected by both the honorary judges and community members.

The awards are given to projects considered to have the potential to inspire exciting questions about contemporary architectural discourse.

By Jung Eun-jin (jej2403@heraldcorp.com)

• 1 month later...

These photos prove how a bad haircut can ruin even the most handsome face

Although Korean actors are all incredibly handsome, a lot of their charms comes from their amazing hair. 

In fact, a recent online post claimed that hairstyles are essential for an attractive man, and proved so by photoshopping terrible haircuts on to some of Korea’s top actors. Despite the men being incredibly handsome, netizens found that even they looked awful in the awkward hairstyles, prompting many to agree with the post.

(skipped unrelated.....)

Jang Dong Gun

12799150_1588911871394951_7824578973003887547_n

source : koreaboo

10 Celebrities Who Quit Smoking And Why

Smoking is known to be highly prevalent in Korea despite efforts from the government and the media to curtail smoking. This is why cigarettes are blurred out on television as it is seen as a measure of protecting the youth from being influenced to smoke.

Below are 10 Korean celebrities who have made efforts to quit smoking for their own health and the health of the people around them.

(skipped unrelated.....)

7. Jang Dong Gun

Jang Dong Gun - quit smoking

Jang Dong Gun smoked a pack a day before quitting after getting married. In an interview the actor commented, “I quit smoking for my health because I got a family and a baby.”

credit : soompi news

@willenette, thank you for keeping this thread alive with so many updates.
Good reason why he quit smoking - if only all parents will follow his example.
OMG. I can believe that horrid haircut.. why???

@potato11 welcome to JDG thread, and thank you for reminder about his birthday.
Wishing him a very belated Happy Birthday.

Jang Dong Gun Films Modern Romance C-drama with Tang Yi Xin and Puff Guo

asdasdasd

Read full article on Koala's playground

5 hours ago, irilight said:

@willenette, thank you for keeping this thread alive with so many updates.
Good reason why he quit smoking - if only all parents will follow his example.
OMG. I can believe that horrid haircut.. why???

@potato11 welcome to JDG thread, and thank you for reminder about his birthday.
Wishing him a very belated Happy Birthday.

Jang Dong Gun Films Modern Romance C-drama with Tang Yi Xin and Puff Guo

Read full article on Koala's playground

Hi irilight, thanks for sharing this news. I hope JDG could get to do another K-drama after this project. It's been quite a while.....:P

4 hours ago, willenette said:

Hi irilight, thanks for sharing this news. I hope JDG could get to do another K-drama after this project. It's been quite a while....

@willenette, I agree.... I keep hoping for it.

In the meantime, I'll be glad to watch him in the Chinese drama if it is subbed.

Hec, I'll watch him reading the phone book!  

29 minutes ago, irilight said:

@willenette, I agree.... I keep hoping for it.

In the meantime, I'll be glad to watch him in the Chinese drama if it is subbed.

Hec, I'll watch him reading the phone book!  

irilight, what I don't like about C-dramas is they always dubbed. I understand that sometimes they have actors/actresses who aren't fluent in Mandarin, but isn't projecting one's voice a part of the actor's skill?  I am not Chinese so I don't know anything about the complexity of Mandarin. So, I guess dubbing would be the best method for mainland production. My point is - the actor may be fantastic at acting and may visually be a perfect match for a particular character, but his/her accent would absolutely kill the portrayal.  It sometimes loses the emotion of the situation for the character. Also, when a voice is dubbed, unless it's perfectly synced it feels awkward. Does this make acting easier or harder? For most K-actors doing C-dramas dubbing allows them to act in China without learning the language. However, as I've said, the actor’s performance can sometimes be distorted through the use of dubbing. Dubbing sometimes feels too unnatural.  :P

• Like 1

@willenette, I don't really watch many Chinese drama, (barely a handful, so far). I watch way more Chinese films.

But I have seen Jang Dong-Gun in the wonderful Chinese movie "Dangerous Liaisons."

Either I am not as attentive as you are, or it did not bother me.  But I loved this film to pieces. There was an American version of it, and a French version too. This Chinese version with Jang Dong-Gun, Cecilia Cheung, and Zhang Ziyi is by far my favorite. (Even though I really prefer Jang Dong-Gun clean shaven)

I cannot imagine Jang Dong Gun taking on a project, unless he is pretty confident about it.

photo254961.jpg

photo258691.jpg

4 hours ago, irilight said:

@willenette, I don't really watch many Chinese drama, (barely a handful, so far). I watch way more Chinese films.

But I have seen Jang Dong-Gun in the wonderful Chinese movie "Dangerous Liaisons."

Either I am not as attentive as you are, or it did not bother me.  But I loved this film to pieces. There was an American version of it, and a French version too. This Chinese version with Jang Dong-Gun, Cecilia Cheung, and Zhang Ziyi is by far my favorite. (Even though I really prefer Jang Dong-Gun clean shaven)

I cannot imagine Jang Dong Gun taking on a project, unless he is pretty confident about it.

Hi irilight, I've seen this C-movie, too. In fact, I heard that JDG worked hard in memorizing the lines in Chinese but unfortunately his voice was dubbed in the end as the director wanted Shanghai accent. As far as I know this wasn't his 1st C-movie.  He had C-acting experience from the film "The Promise". JDG didn't use his mother tongue here as well. Although, he could understand a little when others speak Mandarin slowly to him. I find "DL" good - The cast is good and famous. It's just that for me there is nothing outstanding in particular about the movie. It is actually conservative – probably for the China audience. I guess this was shot by a K-director, right?  :P

Korean Celebrities With The Most Stocks In 2016

On June 5, chaebul.com released a list of 18 celebrities with stocks exceeding 100 million won (about $86,000). Overall, the value of the stocks on the list has decreased 10.9 percent since the beginning of the year and have a combined value of 542.1 billion won (about $470 million).

The Korean celebrity with the most stocks is Lee Soo Man, the founder of SM Entertainment. His stocks have decreased 1.3 percent since the beginning of the year and currently has a value of 180.1 billion won (about $155 million).

Yang Hyun Suk, the founder of YG Entertainment, holds second place. His stock has decreased 11.8 percent since the beginning of the year and currently holds a value of 155.8 billion won (about $134 million).

KeyEast’s founder Bae Yong Joon fell 4.0 percent to a current value of 63.1 billion won (about $54 million) and now holds third place on the list.

Han Sung Ho of FNC entertainment fell 31.3 percent to a value of 48.6 billion won (about $42 million) and fourth place on the list.

Ham Yeon Ji, who debuted as a musical actress, fell 31.5 percent to a value of 34.4 billion won and held on to her fifth place ranking. Ham Yeon Ji is the granddaughter of Ham Tae Ho, the founder and honorary president of the Ottogi company.

Park Jin Young of JYP Entertainment holds sixth place on the list with 28.8 billion won, a slight decrease from the beginning of the year. Actor Park Soon Ae holds seventh place on the list.

Actress Kyun Mi Ri holds eighth place on the list and her stocks fell 46.4 percent to a current value of 5.5 billion won after the company she owns shares in came under fire for an unfaithful disclosure scandal.

Actor Lee Soon Jae, Kyeon Mi Ri’s daughter Lee Yoo Bi (an actress), and actor Kim Ji Hoon also owned shares in the company and saw their stocks halved since the beginning of the year.

Actress Go Hyun Jung rose to ninth place on the list after seeing her stock rise by 23.0 percent to a current value of 4.9 billion won. Actor Jo In Sung also saw his stock rose 23.0 percent to a value of 900 million won, ranking him No. 13 on the list.

Actor Jang Dong Gun, emcees Kang Ho Dong and Shin Dong Yup, and comedians Kim Byung Man and Lee Soo Geun hold shares in SM C&C and saw their stock dip 8 percent this year. Jang Dong Gun holds tenth place on the list.

Source (1) / soompi news

3 hours ago, willenette said:

Hi irilight, I've seen this C-movie, too. In fact, I heard that JDG worked hard in memorizing the lines in Chinese but unfortunately his voice was dubbed in the end as the director wanted Shanghai accent. As far as I know this wasn't his 1st C-movie.  He had C-acting experience from the film "The Promise". JDG didn't use his mother tongue here as well. Although, he could understand a little when others speak Mandarin slowly to him. I find "DL" good - The cast is good and famous. It's just that for me there is nothing outstanding in particular about the movie. It is actually conservative – probably for the China audience. I guess this was shot by a K-director, right?  :P

@willenette, ah.. I forgot about "The Promise..."

Yes, DL 's PD is Korean - Hur Jin-Ho.  I have seen other films by him: April's Snow,  One Fine Spring Day, Christmas in August.  I am very interested in his latest movie "The Last Princess."

Are you saying his mother is Chinese? I had no idea...!

I think I liked DL because it was so much better than the European/American versions. I also like the period piece in Shanghai at that time frame.

56 minutes ago, irilight said:

@willenette, ah.. I forgot about "The Promise..."

Yes, DL 's PD is Korean - Hur Jin-Ho.  I have seen other films by him: April's Snow,  One Fine Spring Day, Christmas in August.  I am very interested in his latest movie "The Last Princess."

Are you saying his mother is Chinese? I had no idea...!

I think I liked DL because it was so much better than the European/American versions. I also like the period piece in Shanghai at that time frame.

irilight "The Promise" is rated PG-13 because it has some violent scenes and a brief, discreet sexual interlude. The movie is basically “Legend”. I really don't enjoy watching the film because it continues to idle by the conventions of story progression.  Although the four main characters get most of the screen time. The best way to approach  “The Promise” is to just go with the flow. The movie is not nearly as bad.  Although, cartoons often come to mind watching the movie because the special effects are not remotely realistic. While the story may be of interest to some, it is ultimately too cliché for me. I read that "The Promise" is reportedly the most expensive film to come out of mainland China. :P I've watched "April Snow" because of Bae Yong Joon. I love this man, dear. Ahhh...........no, what I meant by "mother tongue" is : the language that he has grown up speaking from early childhood. - JDG is pure Korean. :P

• 2 weeks later...

June 23, 2016

Jang Dong-gun to Appear in Chinese TV Series

Actor Jang Dong-gun will appear in a Chinese TV series which is set to be released there soon.

The TV series is based on a popular Chinese novel. Jang plays a sort of sugar daddy who secretly helps a student as her benefactor.

2016062201001_0.jpg

Jang last appeared on TV with the 2012 popular soap, "A Gentleman's Dignity."

englishnews@chosun.com / Jun. 22, 2016 10:08 KST
  • Like 1