Jo In Sung | Zo In Sung 조인성 / Drama 2023: Moving 무빙

gm4queen

EVENT ALERT! As many of the dramas are on a break for Olympics, we thought it will be fun to have an Olympics theme poll. What sports would you participate in if you were a super athlete? Join us for some sports related fun and chatter! 

re: @partyon, @Sleepy Owl, @confusedheart326, @agenth, @Lmangla 

• Awesome 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 1

Jo In-sung: "Escape from Mogadishu" is released on my birthday

spacer.png

Actor Jo In-sung expressed his special affection for the movie "Escape from Mogadishu" he stars in. He conducted an online interview via video on the morning of the 27th ahead of the release of the movie "Escape from Mogadishu" on the 28th.

Jo In-sung said in an interview, "I didn't expect Escape from Mogadishu to be released on my birthday. "I think it will be a special movie because it is my birthday," he said. "Most of all, I think my mother will like it."

Regarding "Escape from Mogadishu," which has topped the reservation rate even before its release, he added, "Thank you for choosing our movie as it is highly anticipated despite the bad situation." "I'm just grateful that things are going smoothly."

Based on the true story, the movie "Escape from Mogadishu" depicts the escape of South and North Korean embassy officials trapped in the civil war in Mogadishu, Somalia's capital, in 1991. The film depicts the 1991 situation in Somalia, which was designated as a no-travel country by endless civil war, starvation and terrorism, and the desperate survival and escape of those isolated.

Jo In-sung plays the role of a former intelligence agent Kang Dae-jin, who was assigned to manage the Korean Embassy in Mogadishu. When everyone is in a panic, he uses his keen judgment to secure safety solutions and exercises his instinct to escape the warzone.

In the interview, Jo In-sung said that "Escape from Mogadishu" is his first work to be performed in his 40s. "Starting from this movie, I would like to greet you with various works. I want to communicate not only through movies but also dramas, and if I have a chance, I want to communicate through entertainment programs."

https://www.skyedaily.com/news/news_view.html?ID=137308

“It’s not that I can’t do it, it’s that I can’t”… Jo In-sung, the real reason why there is no personal SNS

Actor Jo In-seong revealed the candid reason for not using personal SNS. In a video interview to commemorate the release of the movie 'Escape from Mogadishu' today, Jo In-sung talked about his recent steps in actively communicating with the public by appearing on YouTube channels, etc.

Actor Jo In-seong revealed the candid reason for not using personal SNS.

Recently, Jo In-seong appeared on the YouTube channel 'odg' ahead of the release of 'Mogadishu' and had a thoughtful conversation with a 9-year-old child, and also had a sincere conversation on the YouTube channel of fellow actor Park Hyo-jun, who has been around for 16 years. Regarding this, Jo In-seong said, "I didn't know that (my appearance on YouTube) was a hot topic," and explained, "There are various channels where you can feel the public's love.

At the same time, Jo In-sung revealed the reason why he does not use social media such as Instagram, where he can communicate most closely with his fans, and he honestly said, "It's not that I don't do Instagram.

Jo In-seong added, "It's complicated to have to register something like a resident registration number over and over again. I don't have the confidence to sign up at once. It's a pity that a bit of analog feeling remains to me in that regard."

The movie 'Mogadishu' is a movie about the life or death of those isolated from the civil war in Somalia's capital, Mogadishu, in 1991. 'Mogadishu' is also the work that opens the 40s of actor Jo In-sung, and Jo In-seong said, "I want to greet you with various works from this work as a starting point. I want to communicate more freely through not only movies, but also dramas and, if there is a chance, through variety shows. I want to have many opportunities to meet."

https://www.tellerreport.com/life/2021-07-27-“it’s-not-that-i-can’t-do-it--it’s-that-i-can’t”…-jo-in-sung--the-real-reason-why-there-is-no-personal-sns.SJgIAJB60u.html

Jo In-sung said, "I was comforted by Harang for appearing on ODG."

spacer.png

Actor Jo In-sung talked about the YouTube appearance that drew attention.

Jo In-sung, who had an online interview on the afternoon of the 27th, said about his recent YouTube appearances, "I think it was possible because it was ' ODG' and ' Burger Hyung".

"In the case of 'Burger Hyung', I appeared because I am close to Hyo-joon and the platform is free. I can get to the point without having to talk about the relationship between the characters," he added.

"Burger Hyung" is a YouTube channel run by actor Park Hyo-joon. Jo In-sung has been close friends with Park Hyo-jun for 16 years after working together in the movie 'A Dirty Carnival'.

As for the ODG appearance, he said, "It felt like looking at a mirror. It was like meeting the young Jo In-sung. I don't know what it must have been like for Harang, but I was comforted a lot.".

ODG is a YouTube channel specializing in kids. Jo In-sung recently appeared and had a sincere conversation with a 9-year-old child Lee Harang. He showed communication beyond the 30-year-old age gap, revealing his worries about his debut process, life as an actor, and acting.

Jo In-sung will meet the audience with the movie "Escape from Mogadishu," which will be released on the 28th.

https://ent.sbs.co.kr/news/article.do?article_id=E10010233651&plink=ORI&cooper=NAVER

Jo In-sung said, "I was emotional because I heard Olympic archer Kim Je-deok shout 'Fighting!' and I felt like he was saying this to all of us."

"I think he's telling everyone who's having a hard time to cheer up."

Actor Jo In-sung, who is about to release the movie "Escape from Mogadishu," conducted a video interview on the 27th. "Escape from Mogadishu" depicts the escape of people trapped in a civil war in Mogadishu, Somalia's capital, in 1991, and Jo In-sung plays Kang Dae-jin, a South Korean embassy official in Somalia.

In addition to movies and recent questions, Jo received questions about the Olympics. After talking seriously the whole time, he brightened up with the questions about Olympics.

Jo In-sung gave words of support to Korean athletes who are currently sweating at the Olympics, and thanked them especially for Kim Je-deok, who became the youngest Korean men's archery gold medalist.

Actor Cho In-sung said he wanted to cheer up after hearing Kim Je-deok's "fighting."
Jo In-sung said, "I think Korea won another gold medal in archery yesterday. I was emotional. When our player shouted "Korea, fighting!" I got emotional. "Isn't this a very difficult time for many people?" "I think he told everyone who is having a hard time to cheer up." "Thanks to you, I thought I should cheer up," he said, expressing his gratitude and support for the national team player.

The movie "Escape from Mogadishu" is directed by Ryu Seung-wan, who directed "The Battleship Island" (2017), "Veteran" (2015), "Berlin" (2013), and "The Unfair Deal" (2010). "Escape from Mogadishu" stars Jo In-sung, Kim Yun-seok, Huh Joon-ho, and Koo Sang-soo.

https://www.huffingtonpost.kr/entry/jo-in-sung-and-kim-je-deok_kr_60ff856fe4b00c1de0a4fc6f?ncid=other_huffpostre_pqylmel2bk8&utm_campaign=related_articles

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

Jo In-sung: "I thought I was going to die filming 'Escape from Mogadishu'. It became possible because of Ryu Seung-wan."

"This shoot was more comfortable because I almost lived there. It was a good environment to film because there was less time pressure and the site was close. It was hard because I couldn't eat pork because of religious and cultural reasons. But it was fun to eat local delicious food. I went to a nearby market a lot when I wasn't filming. Even if we didn't make an appointment, we would meet there together."

The action scene presented by Jo In-sung is also the highlight of the short but intense movie. In addition to his faith in director Ryu Seung-wan, who produced a number of action films such as "Veteran," and "The Berlin File," he expressed his satisfaction by thanking Koo Soo-chang, an actor who collaborated well with him.

"I did some taekwondo when I was young, and the director tried to catch and show those parts. The director had done a lot of action, so he led the scene rationally. I had to pay attention to my body and my acting. Thanks to you, I was able to shine as well."

http://www.slist.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=271385

• Like 1

Happy Birthday Jo In Sung!

:hooray2::hooray2:

A closer look at Jo In Sung’s career-defining roles

Anyone who has been watching K-dramas for quite some time must have known Jo In Sung and could fairly tell why his name is synonymous to excellence. Sure enough, he is one of the few who have withstood the test of time in the world of Hallyu for over a couple of decades.

His humble beginnings can be traced back to his modelling days before he eventually carved his name among the brightest stars South Korea has ever seen. His candid, humble and generous personality endeared him to so many fans and fellow actors alike.

He is known to be a great friend and mentor to popular actors who are his juniors, like Song Joong Ki, Lee Kwang Soo and D.O. just to mention a few. Thus, his stature and reputation have been the standard to refer to by some of the youngbloods in the Korean entertainment industry.

But more than just having great looks, his success is greatly attributed to his in-depth portrayal of characters which leaves a realistic impression to the viewers. As a critically acclaimed artist, he is one of the few who is very keen and careful with the projects that he chooses to work on. No wonder all of his TV and film endeavors were high-yielding in terms of recognition and awards. Add up the fact that as third highest paid actor in South Korea speaks volume about his worth in Hallyu.

So let’s take a look at five of his best roles in both drama series and films.

1. Park Tae Soo (The King)

spacer.png

Playing the role of Park Tae Soo, Jo In Sung characterized a man who rose from poverty which was rooted upon his sturdy ambition to become a prosecutor in order to elevate his status in society. For him, prosecutors are like gods who have the capability to grasp the law into their hands and circumvent it if need be.

So, he tried mightily to get into the very prestigious Seoul National University law school and worked hard to pass the bar exams in order to realize his dream. Armed with skills and fresh idealism, he was ready to take on the world only to be ruined by the the authority that held him under in a corrupt environment.

The King is a legal and political satire exposing the dark side of power struggle within the government and the legal world. This movie details how dark ambitions can destroy one’s principles and integrity especially if the stakes are high. Talk about power and money.

2. Hong-Rim (A Frozen Flower)

Spoiler

spacer.png

This was, by far, his most daring and provocative, not to mention controversial role that he played as an actor. His artistry was put to the test with this unconventional role that challenged the conservative Korean culture.

In this historical film, Jo In Sung played the character of Hong-rim, a man groomed by the king to be the general of his army. Having developed a close relationship with the king for being his right hand, he eventually became the king’s lover.

Because of the deep affection towards Hong-rim, the king was unable to bring himself to sleep with his queen and so he faced the dilemma of producing an heir. With his full trust on Hong-rim, the king secretly ordered him to sleep with the queen to impregnate her. Out of loyalty and sense of duty, Hong-rim did as what he was ordered to do which eventually led him and the queen falling mutually in love and thus breaking his loyalty towards the king.

3. Jung Jae-Min (What Happened In Bali)

Spoiler

spacer.png

Jo In Sung took the role of a young heir to a big company whose personality couldn’t be more arrogant and childish given his well-off upbringing. He fell in love with the tourist guide he met in Bali, Lee Soo-joong (Ha Ji Won), but he eventually found himself in a complicated love triangle involving Kang In- wook (So Ji Sub) as his bitter rival.

The character itself was so complex to portray as he had to transition from being the carefree, irresponsible guy to someone who became so engrossed with love to the point of obsession. To further extent, he crossed the line of death out of desperation. His performance had defied the culture of predictability in terms of acting performance.

So exquisite was the character portrayal that he bagged the highly coveted Baeksang Best Actor Award in 2004 at the age of 22 besting older and more experienced actors for that recognition. After which, he started to become one of the most sought-after leading men banking on the acting prowess he had shown in that series. What Happened In Bali was released by SBS in 2004 and has catapulted Jo In Sung to stardom.

Working alongside his equally excellent contemporaries, Ha Ji Won and So Ji Sub, What Happened In Bali became a beloved classic K-drama whose storyline has set the bar high for tragic melodrama-themed series.

4. Oh Soo (That Winter, The Wind Blows)

spacer.png

The powerhouse pairing of Jo In Sung and Song Hye Kyo for the series That Winter, The Wind Blows in 2013, as expected, was well-received and very much loved not only by the Korean audience, but also by the K-drama enthusiasts across Asia.

In that series, Jo In Sung played the character of Oh Soo who was a seasoned con-man-cum-gangster. His main goal was to deceive a blind heiress, Oh Young (Song Hye Kyo), as he pretends to be her long lost brother all for the sake of money. Having mastered the art of conning people, he thought the job was too easy to accomplish only to fall victim to his own trap when he unexpectedly fell in love with her.

His performance in this drama series was beyond impressive that he garnerned several accolades from different award-giving bodies. 

5. Jang Jae-Yeol(It’s Okay, That’s Love)

spacer.png

This is arguably his best performance earning him a Daesang award for his characterization of a man with an undiagnosed schizophrenia.

In It’s Okay, That’s Love, Jo In Sung played the role of a best-selling author of mystery novels as well as a well-loved DJ who was scarred by his traumatic childhood experiences. He thought that, all the while, he had already liberated himself from the pangs of his dark past. But the unhealed wounds that he tried so hard to suppress had manifested in a different form.

Just like what he did in A Frozen Flower, Jo In Sung took the audience in an uncharted territory through his acting performance- that is exploring the world of someone who suffers from schizophrenia. He allowed the viewers to not just see what a patient with mental illness goes through on a superficial level, but more importantly, his performance gave the audience raw feels about the kind of reality they live in as well as how they perceive the world as told and expressed through the patient’s point of view.

In many respects, his portrayal is a huge help in educating people to better understand those who suffer from any form of mental illness. Hence, prejudices and stigma can be avoided.

With so much depth and substance in all of his projects, Jo In Sung has just proven time and again that quality and content are his foremost considerations in his craft as an artist.

He is a rare kind indeed with his stunning looks, unparalleled talent and good-natured personality. He may not be that visible in the small screen for quite a while, yet his star continues to burn bright.

https://annyeongoppa.com/2020/07/13/a-closer-look-at-jo-in-sungs-career-defining-roles/

Jo In-sung donated 500 million won to establish a school in Tanzania

It has been reported that Jo In-sung donated 500 million won to establish a school in Tanzania.

The Miral Welfare Foundation said on July 28 that the foundation is operating in Tanzania in 2018 with 500 million won in donations from actor Jo In-sung.

spacer.png

The New Vision Singida School, built with the donation of Jo In-sung, is located in Singida, central Tanzania, with a total of 351 students being educated in three kindergarten classes and five elementary classes.

Singida is one of the poorest areas in Tanzania, where even electricity is difficult to use. Due to the lack of infrastructure and far too few schools, most children went to the labor scene from an early age.

In response, the Miral Welfare Foundation tried to establish a school in the area to guarantee children's basic rights, but was struggling at a considerable cost. Then Jo In-sung became a relief pitcher. Jo In-sung, who happened to hear the sad news through an acquaintance, said he wanted to help build the school.

spacer.png

The Miral Welfare Foundation decided to build the New Vision Singida School in the area with the donation of Jo In-sung and had the groundbreaking ceremony in 2016. After about two years of construction, the construction was completed in 2018, and nine classrooms, auditoriums, cooking rooms, teachers' offices, administrative offices, and Montessori project rooms were built. Children who were driven to poor labor sites came back to school. In addition to education, the school provides school meals and snacks, and offers various programs such as "Sports Day" to help in the children's  overall growth.

In 2019, Jo In-sung visited New Vision Singida School to meet students and planted "Terminalia" tree seedlings on the playground with the children. As for planting the seedlings, "I heard that Terminalia is a tree that grows big on its side and creates a big shade. "I hope it will be a cool and comfortable place for children."

spacer.png

"The children who were driven to work, not school, are finding their place and drawing their sparkling dreams," said an official of the Miral Welfare Foundation. "We deeply thank jo In-sung for presenting hope and future to children and local residents beyond the establishment of the school."

https://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=202107281143316710

Actor Heo Jun-ho says this regarding Jo In-sung, who plays Kang Dae-jin, the State Councilor of the Embassy of the Republic of Korea in Somalia: "Jo In-sung worked with the head of his former agency and sometimes met him in private. I saw him only as a youth before Mogadishu. But I felt like he became a veteran actor while watching " The King" (director Han Jae-rim), and it deepened in Mogadishu. It was really cool to see him encompassing his juniors at the Korean Embassy. I saw a young Jo In-sung. He was a good actor just by watching it."

https://sports.chosun.com/news/ntype.htm?id=202107290100222230014230&servicedate=20210728

• Like 2

‘Escape from Mogadishu’ Jo In Sung Says He Acted While Thinking About Iron Man

Jo In Sung held a video interview with the media ahead of the release of Escape from Mogadishu. Based on a true story, Escape from Mogadishu follows the perilous escape attempt made by those stranded during the Somali Civil War in 1991.

First, the actor expressed his joy about the movie recording the highest ticket sales. “I’m grateful for everything. I’m just thankful that people are showing lots of anticipation even during the tough time,” he shared.

Jo In Sung plays Counselor Kang Dae Jin dispatched to the Korean embassy in Somalia, flawlessly pulling off a smirky character who is also a man of action. “I wanted people to feel at ease when they see me. The movie is quite heavy, and the situation the characters face is extreme, so I wanted people to catch their breath. When you watch Iron Man, Rober Downey Jr refreshes the vibe. I had that in mind while acting.”

What was it like working with director Ryu Seung Wan? “Escape from Mogadishu shows the power of Korean cinema, and it was only possible thanks to director Ryu Seung Wan,” he added. “I think the long experience, and the judgment that comes from it, and open-mindedness are power. His life revolves around the movies.”

The actor showed respect to his fellow co-star Kim Yoon Seok. “I felt fortunate and grateful to have had the opportunity to work with him. He’s the kind of actor who fills in the blanks in the script. I was surprised to see that on that set. I was amazed a few times at how he encompassed the production much more widely than me. It was just an honor.”

Jo also mentioned Do Kyung Soo and Lee Kwang Soo, who became his close friends since It’s Okay, That’s Love. “Do Kyung Soo is already doing well, so I have nothing to say about it. He finished his military duty safely, and I think he became more free, even releasing an album. He’s doing so well in both his singing and acting careers, and I look forward to what he’ll do next. Sinkhole is also gearing up for a summer release, and I hope it performs well. And I hope Lee Kwang Soo also receives great love. All Korean films should get great results.”

Is there any particular reason why he doesn’t use social media, which is the most comfortable and easiest method to communicate with fans? Jo gave an unexpected answer, saying, “I’m afraid that I might use the wrong spelling or grammar.” Then how does he spend his leisure time? “I like to drink, so I drink like it’s my hobby. I also golf,” he answered.

Escape from Mogadishu is the work that’ll open his 40s. “Starting with this, I would love to greet viewers with various projects. I want to communicate more freely, not only through movies and dramas but also with variety shows if I get a chance.”

Currently, Jo is filming two new projects, the film Smugglers and the drama Moving.

https://www.mymusictaste.com/news/escape-from-mogadishu-jo-in-sung-says-he-acted-while-thinking-about-iron-man,2067/

Zo In Sung Shares an Unexpected Reason Why He Is Not on Social Media

spacer.png

Actor Zo In Sung shared a surprising reason why he does not use social media. 

On July 27, Zo In Sung had an online interview with the press.  After talking about his new movie 'Escape from Mogadishu', Zo In Sung discussed his personal life.  As many fans have always wondered why Zo In Sung does not use social media, he was asked why.  Zo In Sung answered, "I know Instagram is the easiest way to communicate with fans, but it's not like I'm not using it on purpose. It's more like I can't use it." 

He explained, "I'm scared that I will make a typo. I feel like it'll also be too embarrassing if I make any spelling mistakes."  He resumed, "Signing up for Instagram is a big task for me as well. It's all so complicated. I think I'm kind of an analog person." 

Zo In Sung made debut with KBS' drama 'School 3' in 2000 where he gained much attention for his good looks as well as incredible body ratio.  Since Zo In Sung is not on social media, he recently has been actively featuring in various YouTube videos for fans.  Meanwhile, 'Escape from Mogadishu' is scheduled to hit the theaters on July 28. 

https://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1006408032

• Like 1

7 hours ago, syntyche said:

Jo In-sung donated 500 million won to establish a school in Tanzania

It has been reported that Jo In-sung donated 500 million won to establish a school in Tanzania.

The Miral Welfare Foundation said on July 28 that the foundation is operating in Tanzania in 2018 with 500 million won in donations from actor Jo In-sung.

The New Vision Singida School, built with the donation of Jo In-sung, is located in Singida, central Tanzania, with a total of 351 students being educated in three kindergarten classes and five elementary classes.

Singida is one of the poorest areas in Tanzania, where even electricity is difficult to use. Due to the lack of infrastructure and far too few schools, most children went to the labor scene from an early age.

In response, the Miral Welfare Foundation tried to establish a school in the area to guarantee children's basic rights, but was struggling at a considerable cost. Then Jo In-sung became a relief pitcher. Jo In-sung, who happened to hear the sad news through an acquaintance, said he wanted to help build the school.

The Miral Welfare Foundation decided to build the New Vision Singida School in the area with the donation of Jo In-sung and had the groundbreaking ceremony in 2016. After about two years of construction, the construction was completed in 2018, and nine classrooms, auditoriums, cooking rooms, teachers' offices, administrative offices, and Montessori project rooms were built. Children who were driven to poor labor sites came back to school. In addition to education, the school provides school meals and snacks, and offers various programs such as "Sports Day" to help in the children's  overall growth.

In 2019, Jo In-sung visited New Vision Singida School to meet students and planted "Terminalia" tree seedlings on the playground with the children. As for planting the seedlings, "I heard that Terminalia is a tree that grows big on its side and creates a big shade. "I hope it will be a cool and comfortable place for children."

"The children who were driven to work, not school, are finding their place and drawing their sparkling dreams," said an official of the Miral Welfare Foundation. "We deeply thank jo In-sung for presenting hope and future to children and local residents beyond the establishment of the school."

https://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=202107281143316710

@syntyche, thanks for sharing this. Wow.........this is more or less equivalent to ($433,000).    :wut:

Edited by gm4queen
Please don't quote images! Thanks!
  • Awesome 1

Lotte Entertainment TW update

Do you know what day it is today? It's #모가디슈 Kang Dae-jin's #Actor Jo In-sung's Birthday! Same birthday as the release date of 모가디슈? This is fate, destiny

Thank you for celebrating actor Jo In-sung's birthday with us

spacer.png

@willenette, indeed, that's a huge donation from our generous JIS :heart: 

• Like 2

Jo In Sung Movie "Escape from Mogadishu" Interview photos 27 July 2021

Spoiler

0002975706_001_20210727113611178.jpg0002975706_002_20210727113611212.jpg0004447818_001_20210727113809864.jpg

0004447818_002_20210727113809896.jpg0004447819_001_20210727113811040.jpg0004447819_002_20210727113811053.jpg

0004447820_001_20210727113811683.jpg0004447820_002_20210727113811740.jpg

source : https://sunshineemine.blogspot.com/2021/07/jo-in-sung-movie-escape-from-mogadishu.html

17 minutes ago, syntyche said:

Do you know what day it is today? It's #모가디슈 Kang Dae-jin's #Actor Jo In-sung's Birthday! Same birthday as the release date of 모가디슈? This is fate, destiny

Thank you for celebrating actor Jo In-sung's birthday with us

@willenette, indeed, that's a huge donation from our generous JIS :heart: 

@syntyche, thanks for the reminder that it's his special day TODAY!  :blush:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Oppa!  :heart:I hope he has a grand time celebrating this DAY with his family & loved ones. 

:popcornjackson:

ef592b7ee3672d9c7677e507919100b6.jpg

Edited by gm4queen
Please use spoilers for multiple images! Thanks!
  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1

Actor Zo In-sung donates 500 million won to build school in Tanzania

Spoiler

spacer.png

South Korean actor Zo In-sung has donated 500 million won ($433,000) to build a school in Tanzania, a local welfare foundation said Wednesday.

The money was used to build the Singida New Vision School in central Tanzania in 2018, the Miral Welfare Foundation belatedly revealed in celebration of the actor's birthday, which falls on the day.

Singida is reportedly one of the most underprivileged regions in the African country, where most of the children are pushed into labor due to a lack of social infrastructure and educational facilities.

But thanks to the 40-year-old actor's contribution, 351 students are now learning at three kindergarten classes and five elementary school classes, according to the Seoul-based foundation.

In 2019, the popular South Korean actor visited the school in person and planted a Terminalia tree in the playground with the students.

"Terminalia is a tree that grows sideways and provides a lot of shade. I hope (this tree) will become a cool and comfortable place of rest to kids," he was cited as saying.

"Children who had been going to work instead of school have returned to where they are supposed to be and are dreaming of their own shiny futures," the foundation said, delivering its gratitude to Zo

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/07/398_312938.html

‘Escape from Mogadishu’ Actor Jo In Sung Comically Reveals Why He is Not on Social Media

Spoiler

spacer.png

Actor Jo In Sung is finally back on track. After being on a hiatus for years, the "It's Okay, That's Love" star is ready to steal the spotlight again!

On July 27, a day before the premiere of his upcoming movie "Escape from Mogadishu," Jo In Sung sat for an online interview and talked about lots of things from career to his personal life. 

Robert Downey's Character as Iron Man Became Jo In Sung's Inspiration for His New Movie Role

He first introduced and promoted his new movie "Escape from Mogadishu." It is his first-ever movie project following "The Great Battle" in 2018. During the interview, he expressed his joy and excitement about the project. 

spacer.png

Jo In Sung portrays the role of Counselor Kang Dae Jin, dispatched to the Korean embassy in Somalia. The actor shared that he wanted the viewers and his fans to feel at ease when they finally get to see him back on screen. He continued, "The movie itself is already quite heavy. The characters' emotions and the situation in the story are extreme."

The "Spring Days" actor aims to get the viewers' attention through his character as Kang Dae Jin. Jo In Sung confessed that Robert Downey's role as Iron Man became his inspiration while immersing himself in Kang Dae Jin's character. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

spacer.png

Jo In Sung also shared how grateful he is for working with director Ryu Seung Wan and co-actor Kim Yoon Seok. 

This is Why Jo In Sung Does Not Have a Personal Instagram Account

As a public figure, many fans of Jo In Sung were curious why he does not use social media. Then the interviewer candidly asked why Jo In Sung has not yet opened his personal Instagram account. 

Spoiler

spacer.png

According to him, "Instagram is the easiest platform to communicate with fans. But it's not that I do not like using it. It's more like I can't use it." Jo In Sung comically confessed, "I am actually scared of making typos or wrong grammar." 

He said that he might get embarrassed if he made any spelling mistakes. In addition, Jo In Sung shared that signing up for Instagram is complicated and a big task for him.

Jo In Sung Turns 40

spacer.png

Actor Jo In Sung is having a back to back celebration this July 28. Apart from the release of his movie "Escape from Mogadishu" the Korean celebrity is also celebrating his 40th birthday. 

He also mentioned in the interview that he was late to notice that the premiere date of his new film will happen on his special day. 

spacer.png

Meanwhile, Jo In Sung's agency, IOK Company, shared birthday greetings on their official Instagram account as they commemorate the actor's 40th birthday and the success of his new project.

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/121348/20210727/escape-from-mogadishu-actor-jo-in-sung-comically-reveals-why-he-is-not-on-social-media.htm

‘It’s Okay, That’s Love’ Cast Update 2021: Jo In Sung Returns With a New Movie 

Seven years have passed, but "It's Okay, That's Love" still remains as one of the best K-dramas that ever been produced in K-entertainment. With a plot that centers around mental health, this series is indeed a masterpiece. Plus, its very talented cast made the drama extra special.

In 2014 when this series was introduced, viewers from all across the globe became more educated and aware about mental health issues. "It's Okay, That's Love" projects a clearer picture of what mental disorders are like. Through this show, viewers learn how to be kind and understanding of those people who are suffering from mental issues.

Aside from that, this program also showcased the complicated but realistic relationship of the characters. And through "It's Okay, That's Love," the cast of this drama also discovered and built a genuine friendship.

But are you curious about where these versatile actors are right now? We bet you are. So without further ado, let's take a short reading to know the latest updates about the cast.

Jo In Sung

Finally, after a long wait, actor Jo In Sung is not back in the spotlight. In fact, his new movie "Escape from Mogadishu" started to kick the theaters this July 28.

Recently, he appeared in tvN's variety show "Unexpected Business" with his real-life friend Cha Tae Hyun. And not only that, Jo In Sung to possibly work with another movie titled "Smuggling," which is scheduled to air in 2022.

In one of his previous interviews, the actor is still in contact with Lee Kwang Soo and EXO's D.O.

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/121356/20210728/s-okay-love-cast-update-2021-jo-sung-returns-new.htm

Kim Yoon-seok returns as ordinary man in ‘Escape from Mogadishu’

He also recalled some of the memories with other actors and staff during their four-month-long shoot in Morocco.

“All the staff and actors, we all lived together. We ate breakfast and lunch together and very often also had dinner together. Those four months are unforgettable for me,” Kim said. “Also nobody recognized me and fellow actors Jo In-sung and Heo Jun-ho there. We felt free. We could hang out without wearing masks while wearing sweatpants. I miss that.”

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20210728000777

IN THE LOOP: 'Escape From Mogadishu,' and More New Must-Watch K-Dramas and Movies This Week

Escape From Mogadishu

Helmed by Director Ryu Seung Wan, who is the brilliant mind behind "The Unjust," "Top Star," and "Veteran," "Escape From Mogadishu" is an action drama film slated to premiere in the big screen on July 28.

Set in 1999 in the city of Mogadishu, it tells the story of the city being torn by civil war and enduring the rain of terror bullets and bombs.

Both South Korean and North Korean embassies aim to survive the one, and escape from Mogadishu.

The action drama film stars seasoned actors Kim Yoon Seok, Jo In Sung, Heo Joon Ho, and Kim So Jin.

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/121352/20210728/in-the-loop-4-new-korean-dramas-movies-week.htm

The largest number of visitors to the theater on a summer weekday...New power 'Escape from Mogadishu' outnumbered ;Black Widow'

The theater director has seen the effects of his new film. Moviegoers more than doubled on the 28th, when "Escape from Mogadishu", "How to: Re-cha" and "Jungle Cruise" were released at the same time. It is the highest record this summer on weekdays. 

According to the Korea Film Council's integrated network of movie tickets on the 29th, "Escape from Mogadishu" achieved the highest opening of 2021 Korean films by mobilizing 126,670 viewers and 136,741 cumulative viewers in one day on the 28th, the first day of its release. Earlier, "Call Restriction" more than doubled the record for the highest opening of a Korean film in 2021, which attracted 55,698 viewers.

"Escape from Mogadishu" is a film about the escape of people who were isolated by civil war in Mogadishu, Somalia's capital, in 1991. It is the most anticipated film this summer, directed by Ryu Seung-wan and starring Kim Yoon-seok, Jo In-sung, Huh Joon-ho, Koo Soo-chang, and Kim So-jin, who had high expectations and interest even before its release. Despite the deteriorating coronavirus situation, the opening performance proved expectations.

What's more encouraging is the soaring number of spectators. The total number of visitors to the theater was 257,887. The number of viewers has more than doubled from 112,680 a day earlier. In particular, it is more than 256,473 people on July 7, when the Marvel Hero film "Black Widow" was released. This is the largest number of weekday audiences this summer.

Although the effect of Culture Day has been added, the atmosphere has frozen due to the fourth level of social distancing in the Seoul metropolitan area along with the fourth trend of Covid 19. In particular, the performance is even more noticeable considering that the number of screenings during the evening hours of the week has decreased due to the suspension of theater operations after 10 p.m.

It is also noteworthy that about half of the audience watched "Escape from Mogadishu," while several works were chosen by the audience together. Along with "Mogadishu," a new movie worth seeing, including the occult action movie "How to: Re-cha" and Hollywood action blockbuster "Jungle Cruise," was released at the same time. Also, DreamWorks' animation "Boss Baby 2" released a week ago is still strong, and the power of the Marvel hero movie "Black Widow" is still strong.

http://www.spotvnews.co.kr/?mod=news&act=articleView&idxno=434074

Jo In Sung donates 500 million Won to establish school in Tanzania

Spoiler

spacer.png

Jo In Sung donated 500 million Won ($432,449.25 USD) to establish a school in Tanzania, Africa.

According to the Milal Welfare Foundation, the actor donated a large sum to celebrate his birthday on July 28 KST in the past, and they finished building the Singida New Vision School in central Tanzania in 2018 with the 500 million Won from Jo In Sung. The school was built in a poor region of the country with little access to electricity, but it's now currently educating 351 students in 3 kindergarten classes and 5 elementary school classes.

It's been belatedly revealed that Jo In Sung decided to donate after hearing the Milal Welfare Foundation was having trouble with funds to build a school in the area. Jo In Sung also visited Singida New Vision School in 2019 and planted Terminalia seedlings in the playground.

spacer.png

In other news, Jo In Sung is known to have donated a total of 800 million Won ($691,820.09 USD) every year from 2011 to 2019 to the Asan Medical Center. 

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2021/07/jo-in-sung-donates-500-million-won-to-establish-school-in-tanzania

40th Birthday, 7 Transformation Portraits of Jo In Sung, South Korea's Most Expensive Actor

Take a peek at the transformation of Jo In Sung, the handsome actor who just made a comeback and celebrated his 40th birthday

Today, July 28, 2021, is the 40th birthday of Jo In Sung, the handsome actor who is included in the ranks of the highest-paid Korean actors. Jo In Sung was born on July 28, 1981 in Gangdong-gu, Seoul, South Korea. The name of the handsome actor Jo In Sung is not only known by the people of South Korea, but is also known by the world community, including Indonesia thanks to his role in various dramas and feature films that he has starred in.

Jo In Sung started his career as a model in 1998, when he was 17 years old. At that time, Jo In Sung became a model for the fashion brand Ziozia. In 1999, Jo In Sung debuted playing a role in the sitcom called Jump. From his role in the sitcom, Jo In Sung then received offers to play in various TV shows, such as sitcoms, dramas, to feature films. School 3 is Jo In Sung's first drama series which aired in 2000. 

In 2002, Jo In Sung then spread his wings into the world of the big screen. At that time, Jo In Sung also played a role in a film called Public Toilet. After various debuts in sitcoms, dramas, and feature films, Jo In Sung's name has become a resounding success. In fact, Jo In Sung also often plays the main role in various drama titles and feature films.

After a three-year hiatus from the South Korean film industry, Jo In Sung has finally made a comeback with the latest film starring him in 2021. This year, Jo In Sung made a comeback by playing in a big screen film titled Escape from Mogadishu after last playing the film The Great Battle in 2018. 

Jo In Sung is also included in the ranks of the 10 most expensive South Korean actors with a fee of 67,000 US dollars per episode. On this (28/7), Jo In Sung turned 40 years old. Check out the portrait of Jo In Sung's transformation below. 

1. Toddler Period

spacer.png

Jo In Sung is famous for being a handsome actor who always gives his best appearance in various dramas and movies. Now, Jo In Sung has even turned 40 years old.

Apparently, actor Jo In Sung's good looks have been seen since childhood with his bangs. His sweet smile has also been embedded in Jo In Sung's face since he was a toddler. 

2. Enter the ABG period

Spoiler

spacer.png

This handsome actor made his debut at the age of 17 as a model for the well-known fashion brand, Ziozia.

Apparently, his good looks have been seen since he moved into ABG. The aura of the star was already visible long ago.

3. Debut

spacer.png

Jo In Sung debuted in the world of acting through a sitcom. At that time, Jo In Sung debuted in the sitcom Jump.

In addition to the sitcom Jump, Jo In Sung also played in the sitcom Nonstop. In 2001, Jo In Sung debuted playing the drama School 3 which was aired by KBS2. At that time, Jo In Sung still looked young.

4. Military Service

Spoiler

spacer.png

Jo In Sung enlisted in the military when he was at the peak of his career. Jo In Sung just started his military service in 2009 and finished in 2011. 

At that time, Jo In Sung had just finished his last film project before his enlistment, namely A Frozen Flower. After his military service, Jo In Sung then made a comeback playing drama with Song Hye Kyo.

5. Look Charming With Song Hye Kyo

Spoiler

spacer.png

Actor Jo In Sung turns out to have something in common with Song Joong Ki. The similarities between the two are acting with Song Hye Kyo after completing the military service. 

Jo In Sung made a comeback in the drama That Winter, the Wind Blows in 2013. Jo In Sung's co-star at that time was actress Song Hye Kyo. In the romantic genre drama, Jo In Sung appeared very stunning and charming with his handsome face.

6. Appear in South Korean Historical Action Films

Spoiler

spacer.png

In 2018, Jo In Sung played in an action film that tells about the history of South Korea. Jo In Sung appeared as the main character along with two other actors, namely Nam Joo Hyuk and Park Sung Woong. 

In the film, Jo In Sung appeared very stunning and made his fans admire his long hair and makeup. Jo In Sung appears wearing a soldier's uniform and ready to attack his enemies.

7. Comeback Main Movie

Spoiler

spacer.png

At the age of 40 this year, Jo In Sung has again got the main role in his latest film project entitled Escape from Mogadishu. Fans of Jo In Sung must have missed the appearance of this idol actor. This film is Jo In Sung's comeback film after a hiatus of approximately three years with The Great Battle as his last project.

In this film, Jo In Sung plays a counselor named Kang Dae Jin. This film was also released at the same time as Jo In Sung's birthday, which is on July 28, 2021. That was a portrait of Jo In Sung's transformation, who turns 40 today. Are you ready to watch Jo In Sung's action in his latest film?

https://www.matamata.com/kpop/2021/07/28/140000/ultah-ke-40-7-potret-transformasi-jo-in-sung-aktor-termahal-korea-selatan?page=all

• Like 1

‘Escape from Mogadishu’ took burden off my shoulders: Jo In-sung

spacer.png

For top actor Jo In-sung, “Escape from Mogadishu” was the movie that he could enjoy filming, as the burden of playing the sole lead role was lifted off his shoulders.

“In previous films, nobody told me that I should feel pressured but I felt responsible,” Jo said during an interview via Zoom with a group of reporters. “When filming a movie, there are things that the leading actors should take care of. They have to make sure that the staff is doing okay. They also have to be considerate of the production costs and so on.”

Since there were two other veteran actors -- Kim Yoon-seok and Heo Jun-ho -- with him to share that burden, Jo said he was able to focus more on depicting his character.

Set in 1991 in Somalia, the movie depicts South Korean Ambassador to Somalia Han Shin-sung (played by Kim Yoon-seok) and Kang Dae-jin (played by Jo), a spy agent of Korea’s Agency for National Security Planning, competing against the North Korean Ambassador (Heo Jun-ho) for South Korea’s membership in the United Nations. One day, a civil war breaks out and both South and North Korean diplomats have to cooperate to escape the country together.

Although the movie depicts a serious topic that is based on a true event, comical scenes are interwoven throughout.

“Mogadishu is a commercial film, so I wanted it to be like the Marvel movies which include touches of humor even in serious situations. The escape process is dangerous in our movie but when my character interacts with other characters I tried to show that he has a sense of humor,” he said.

Jo also pointed out that his new film does not include the overly emotional scenes that movies centered on South and North Korean ties usually have.

“I am not saying that movies with those scenes are bad,” he said. “The scenes are effective as they make Korean audiences react in certain ways. But director (Ryoo Seung-wan) did it differently and wrote the script and directed the movie more calmly and dispassionately. I think it will provide a different experience to the audience.”

When asked about the hardships he had experienced while filming, Jo said he tried to stay positive even in difficult situations.

“We had to fly to Turkey and then transfer to reach Morocco. Then we had to ride for three hours to get to the place where we shot the movie. It was not easy,“ the actor said. ”But I thought of the experience as an actor’s privilege. If I were not an actor I probably wouldn’t have a chance to experience all that.”

During the interview, Jo also shared his views on war.

spacer.png

“I only had an indirect experience through performing but I could see how devastating it is,” Jo said. “So many innocent people are being sacrificed in wars. Also, like in the movie, kids are running around with guns. I think it should never happen.”

“Escape from Mogadishu” attracted over 126,000 visitors and topped the domestic box office on Wednesday, the first day of its release.

Earlier in June, the Korean Theater Association, which includes the top three multiplex operators, decided to forgo ticket proceeds until sales reach 50 percent of the total production cost of “Escape from Mogadishu.” The theaters and film distributors usually split the ticket sales 50:50. “Escape from Mogadishu” cost around 25 billion won ($21.82 million) to make.

http://www01.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20210729000842

Blockbuster 'Escape from Mogadishu' scores highest Korean film opening record of this year

spacer.png

Action blockbuster "Escape from Mogadishu" opened strong, Wednesday, scoring the highest opening record of this year among Korean films.

Star director Ryoo Seung-wan's latest flick saw about 127,000 ticket sales on its premiere day, taking up almost 50 percent of the entire ticket sales that day. It topped the local box office and grossed 893 million won ($780,000).

This, by far, surpasses the previous opening record among Korean films of the year by thriller action film "Hard Hit," which opened June 23 with about 55,700 ticket sales. The film ranked the fourth-highest opening score among all films, following the latest Fast & Furious film "F9," Marvel Studios' "Black Widow" and Thai horror film "The Medium."

Helmed by Ryoo, who has directed tent-pole films like "The Berlin File" (2013), "Veteran" (2015) and "The Battleship Island" (2017), the film unfolds the true story of South and North Korean diplomats during the Somali Civil War in 1991.

Amid the chaos of the uprising in the Somali capital city of Mogadishu, diplomats from the South ― played by Kim Yoon-seok and Zo In-sung ― join hands with their antagonistic counterparts from the North ― played by Huh Joon-ho and Koo Kyo-hwan ― on a mission for survival.

With "Escape from Mogadishu" landing at the top of the box office, both "The Boss Baby: Family Business" and "Black Widow" slipped down the chart to second and third, respectively.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/07/689_313004.html

'Escape from Mogadishu' in 1st place of the box office for two consecutive days

Directed by Ryoo Seung-wan , 'Mogadishu' (distributed by Lotte, produced by Dexter Studios) is based on the true story of ambassadors from North and South Korea in Somalia who dramatically escaped together at the Somali civil war from December 1990 to January 1991. It was released in theaters on the 28th of this month and topped the box office for two consecutive days for the first and second day of the screening.

However, it is a film that focuses on an action drama that adds imagination to a true story rather than a documentary, and does not miss the psychological state of various characters while unraveling with a dramatic narrative development. 

As director Ryoo Seung-wan said, the sentence “I made it very hard” seems very appropriate to describe the movie 'Mogadishu'.

Just by looking at the screen, you can feel the heat and moisture of Africa that surrounds your body. The colors of sky blue and white, which symbolize Somalia, flicker across the screen. This is why the blue sky and white buildings stand out. And the intense sound of a musical instrument representing the inner side of the rebels who declared war on the government consistently beats the heart.

'Mogadishu' substantiates the character's psychology with plain words and eyes instead of the tears that are usually overflowing in North and South Korean films. The way they face a crisis after a conflicted first meeting, and as time goes by, they open their hearts to each other and share their camaraderie deep in their hearts, conveying the resonance of another dimension. They desperately wanted to live, so they did not have to divide the north and the south. Their steps to achieve one goal come as a different emotion through 'Mogadishu'. 

Of course they said, "Let's break up here. Bye bye" is the moment to allow a few tears. (But not to the extent that it stimulates the tear glands.)

Rather than sympathy for the tragedy of fraternity, it is because they can no longer be together, who have accumulated a lot of love and trouble, and it is because of the remorse for the affection they have accumulated even though it has been a short time. South Koreans Han Shin-seong (Kim Yun-seok) and Kang Dae-jin (Jo In-seong), and North Koreans Lim Yong-su (Heo Jun-ho) and Tae Joon-gi (Koo Gwan-hwa) parted with such a warm gaze. That alone was enough. Running time 121 minutes. 

http://osen.mt.co.kr/article/G1111627059

2 review posters released!

spacer.png

Intense experience!  pouring praise!  We found reasons to go to the theater

-The thrill of escape and the perfect return of Director Ryoo Seung-wan!  

-The power to keep you from getting up until the end credits

-New visuals and tension added to the escape action

-Action + Scale + Fun 'Birth of a blockbuster that captured everything

-A movie that can be enjoyed in an environment optimized with solid story, lively visual beauty and acting skills. 

spacer.png

-It's not 'watching', but an 'experience'. It has overwhelming immersion and scale tension!

-Ryu Seung-wan, the 121 minute action master, the action scene is a masterpiece!

-It contains vivid production, actors' passionate performances, and spectacular action.

-In the era of COVID-19, we will once again bring the joy of watching a movie to audiences who have forgotten the fun of watching movies.

Jo In-sung’s ‘Escape from Mogadishu’ tops box office in South Korea

spacer.png

The Korean film “Escape from Mogadishu” topped the box office in South Korea, according to the Korean Film Council (KOFIC).

“Escape from Mogadishu,” starring Kim Yoon-seok, Jo In-sung, Kim So-jin and Heo Joon-ho, tells the story of personnel of the South and North Korean embassies escaping Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia. In 1991, a civil war broke out in Mogadishu. The South Korean embassy’s staff and their families became isolated. One night, a group from the North Korean embassy knocks on their door asking for help. The goal is to escape Mogadishu.

The film premiered at No. 1 at the box office in Korea on July 28, selling 126,670 tickets, the highest opening day record for a Korean film this year, and grossing $778,984.

It also topped the box office on July 29 with 89,734 in total admissions and gross of $743,547 for a two-day total of 226,475 tickets sold and revenue of $1.6 million including pre-opening numbers.

Amid the slump the Korean movie industry is facing due to restrictions imposed because of the COVID-19 pandemic, KOFIC reported that the Korea Theater Association has allowed “Escape from Mogadishu” to get 100 percent of box office sales until it reaches 50 percent of its break-even point (BEP), wherein “filmmakers have recouped both their production budgets and print and advertising costs.” Under a normal situation, the sales are split 50:50.

“Escape from Mogadishu” was filmed in Morocco before the COVID-19 pandemic and Jo In-sung said the movie is “extra special.”

“I have been working on projects in which I was usually the sole lead. So I took this role because I wanted to be part of something that I can work together with veteran actors in. When I screened the movie, it reminded me of the time we basically lived there together. So this film comes to me as extra special,” he said during the film’s press conference, Korea Times reported.

Jo In-sung’s last movie project was the historical film “The Great Battle” in 2018. It was belatedly announced that he donated 500 million won ($437,000) to Miral Welfare Foundation to build a school in Tanzania, according to SBS News.

https://mb.com.ph/2021/07/30/jo-in-sungs-escape-from-mogadishu-tops-box-office-in-south-korea/

‘It’s Okay, That’s Love’ Actor Jo In Sung Generously Donates 500 Million Won to Build a School in Tanzania

spacer.png

A day after his 40th birthday, it has been revealed that actor Jo In Sung made a generous donation towards the young individual in the country of Tanzania.

July 28 when the "It's Okay, That's Love" star celebrated his 40th birthday. On the same day, Jo In Sung's new movie "Escape from Mogadishu" had its premiere in theaters and instantly became a hit.

MIRAL Welfare Foundation Exposes Jo In Sung's Heartfelt Gesture Towards the Community of Tanzania

As one of the elite K-drama celebrities, Jo In Sung is known not just for being a respected and well-rounded actor, but most especially for having a big heart to help those who are in need.

According to a non-governmental organization MIRAL Welfare Foundation, actor Jo In Sung has generously donated 500 million won (almost 440 million dollars) to help the people in Tanzania. The foundation also stated that the money given by the Korean star was used to build Singida New Vision School located in central Tanzania.

Singida is said to be one of the poorest regions in Tanzania. And many children do not have the opportunity to attend school. Even though Jo In Sung's secret project happened in 2018, the foundation and the people in Tanzania wanted to show their gratitude towards the A-List actor.

Jo In Sung Built a Strong Foundation for Young Individuals in Tanzania

There are already 351 students pursuing their education at the newly built school. Jo In Sung also paid a visit to the school in 2019. He even spent time with the students and planted Terminalia in the playgrounds.

During his stay in the facility, Jo In Sung said that the plant Terminalia is a tree that grows to provide shade. He wished that the tree he planted would become a cool and comfortable place for all the students of Singida New Vision School in Tanzania.

Why Did MIRAL Welfare Foundation Reveal Jo In Sung's Big Donation?

Meanwhile, MIRAL Welfare Foundation explained why they decided to finally reveal Jo In Sung's kind gesture. According to one of their representatives, "We would like to express our deepest gratitude to actor Jo In Sung for building the school for he helped the children of Tanzania to establish their own dreams."

spacer.png

The official also added that those young and adult individuals who have been working already have returned to school and continue their education. They were very thankful for actor Jo In Sung.

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/121371/20210729/s-okay-love-actor-jo-sung-generously-donates-500-million.htm

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065575630723509
Action film 'Mogadishu' starts off amid S.Korea's fourth wave of pandemic

2021-07-30

10A7BBD7-7E34-466A-985B-E42A50960FE7.jpg
▲ This photo, provided by Lotte Entertainment, shows a scene from film "Escape from Mogadishu." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, July 30 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's big-budget tentpole, "Escape from Mogadishu," started off amid the public's expectations and favorable reviews. Amid the unabated fourth wave of the pandemic, attention is focused on how long the movie's success will continue.

"Mogadishu," which was released on Wednesday, attracted more than 126,000 viewers on the first day and maintained to sit atop the box office with 89,000 viewers on the second day, according to the data provided by the Korea Film Council on Friday.

The movie, which is based on a true story of the escape by diplomatic officials in South and North Korean missions during the 1991 civil war in Somalia, is currently being well-received as it portrays an ensemble of action, drama, and top star actors in an exotic scenery.

DreamWorks Animation's "The Boss Baby: Family Business," which topped the box office last weekend, or movies like "Jungle Cruise" and "The Cursed: Dead Man's Prey," which were released on the same day as "Mogadishu," were all pushed back of the rankings.

"Mogadishu" has maintained its upper hand, occupying 37.4 percent of real-time reservation rates earlier today. "The Boss Baby: Family Business" recorded 14.7 percent, "Jungle Cruise" with 14.3 percent, "Black Widow" at 8.6 percent, and "The Cursed: Dead Man's Prey" with 7.9 percent. 

While there aren't major competing films for "Mogadishu," the recent Level 4 social distancing measures, which requires all movie theaters to close before 10 p.m., poses a big threat for the film. 

The Level 4 measures have been extended for two weeks in Seoul and the surrounding areas while non-metropolitan areas have been upgraded to Level 3 of social distancing rules, which decreased the number of viewers on weekends by about 20 percent every week.

(END)

July Movie Star Brand Reputation Rankings Announced

spacer.png

The Korean Business Research Institute has revealed this month’s brand reputation rankings for film actors!

The rankings were determined through an analysis of the consumer participation, media coverage, interaction, and community awareness indexes of 50 popular movie stars, using big data collected from June 30 to July 30.

Jo In Sung topped this month’s list with a brand reputation index of 4,135,556. High-ranking phrases in his keyword analysis included “Escape from Mogadishu,” “Kim Yun Seok,” and “Go Hyun Jung,” while his highest-ranking related terms included “appear,” “root for,” and “donate.”

Check out the top 30 for this month below!

1. Jo In Sung

https://www.soompi.com/article/1481581wpp/july-movie-star-brand-reputation-rankings-announced

Check out July brand reputation rankings for film actors/actresses

The Korea Institute of Corporate Reputation has revealed brand value rankings for film actors/actresses for the month of July, based on big data analysis. 

From June 30 through July 31, 2021, the Institute analyzed big data of 50 currently promoting film actors/actresses in areas ranging from consumer participation, communication, social activity, community activity, etc. 

From 1st through 10th place are, in order: Jo In Sung, Jo Seung Woo, Song Ji Hyo, Park Seo Joon, Jo Jung Suk, Song Joong Ki, Gong Yoo, Moon Chae Won, Seo In Guk, and Son Ye Jin. 

In 1st place, actor Jo In Sung, currently preparing for the premiere of his latest film 'Escape from Mogadishu' in theaters, earned a total of 4,135,556 points for the month of July. 

Check out the Institute's full analysis results, below.

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2021/07/check-out-july-brand-reputation-rankings-for-film-actors-actresses

• Like 1

"Escape from Mogadishu" is the first Korean movie to hit 500,000 viewers in the shortest period in 2021 !

spacer.png

The movie "Escape  from Mogadishu" surpassed 500,000 viewers on July 31 (Saturday), the fourth day of its release, based on the integrated computer network of the Korean Film Council.

"Escape  from Mogadishu," which is highly praised for bringing the exotic scenery and realistic car-chasing to the theater's large screen, has topped the box office overwhelmingly since its first day of release. Thanks to the enthusiastic word-of-mouth of audiences, the movie has surpassed 500,000 viewers at the fastest pace among Korean films this year, so the future box office race is expected even more.

Due to the audience's enthusiastic support for the movie, which set such a meaningful box office record, Kim Yoon-seok, Jo In-sung, Heo Joon-ho, Koo Gyo-hwan, Kim So-jin, Jung Man-sik, Kim Jae-hwa and Park Kyung-hye are drawing attention by leaving 500,000 thank-you non-contact photos featuring the "Escape  from Mogadishu" team's special chemistry.

The actors connected their comments which say, "More than 500,000 hearts!" Thank you, "Escape  from Mogadishu" is so much fun to the theater!" and added witty hand gestures to express the joy of box office success and gratitude to the audience.

In particular, "Escape from Mogadishu's non-contact proof shot captures the sincerity of all actors to audiences who love "Escape from Mogadishu" more closely than ever, even though they live in a non-contact era with social distancing. The audience's enthusiastic response to the actors' warm-hearted thanks and support for the Nth viewing continues.

http://www.onews.tv/news/articleView.html?idxno=83693

spacer.png

https://www.hellokpop.com/news/jo-in-sung-hailed-as-top-movie-actor-in-july-brand-reputation-rankings/

Jo In-sung, Cho Seung-woo, Song Ji-hyo, Park Seo-joon top movie star rankings in July

spacer.png

Jo In-sung, Cho Seung-woo, Song Ji-hyo, Park Seo-joon and Jo Jung-suk copped the first five places in the Korean movie star brand reputation rankings in July.

The Korea Corporate Research Institute released the rankings based on an analysis of 118.45 million pieces of big data of 50 movie stars from June 30 to July 30, a decrease of 10.7 percent from 132.64 million in May.

The brand reputation index is obtained by extracting brand big data and analyzing consumer behavior. The consumers’ brand consumption patterns were analyzed based on consumer participation, media exposure, communication and community indices.

For July 2021, Jo In-sung, whose movie “Escape from Mogadishu” premiered on July 28, took first place with a brand reputation index score of 4.13 million.

Here are the top 25 Korean movie stars based on brand reputation rankings for July:

1. Jo In-sung – 4,135,556

https://mb.com.ph/2021/07/31/jo-in-sung-cho-seung-woo-song-ji-hyo-park-seo-joon-top-movie-star-rankings-in-july/

Jo In Sung On His New Film, Why He Doesn’t Use Social Media, His Friends Lee Kwang Soo And EXO‘s D.O., And More

spacer.png

On July 28, the new film “Escape from Mogadishu” was unveiled to the world. Based on true events from 1991, the film follows a group of Korean embassy employees on their escape from Mogadishu, Somalia’s capital city, during the Somali Civil War. It so happens that the movie shares its birthday with one of its lead actors, Jo In Sung.

The actor celebrated both events in an interview, where he stated, “I myself didn’t know that the movie release would be on my birthday. I think because of it, it will be a special one.” He added, “It’s a situation in which I’m grateful for everything. The public looked forward to it and chose to watch it despite the tough situation with COVID-19. I’m just so glad. I’m thankful that everything is going smoothly.”

“Escape from Mogadishu” is Jo In Sung’s first movie after the actor entered his forties. He commented, “Starting with this film, I hope to be back with more diverse pieces. Not only through films, but also through dramas and variety shows. I hope to increase the opportunities I have to more freely communicate with you all.”

He has been putting this into action by appearing on various YouTube channels and staying in touch with the public. However, he does not have any personal social media accounts such as Instagram. He explained, “It’s not that I don’t do Instagram, it’s that I can’t do it. I’m scared of mistyping something or making a grammatical mistake. Signing up is a challenge too. When it comes to this, I think there’s something analog about me in that sense.”

He didn’t forget to mention EXO‘s D.O. (Do Kyung Soo), whom he worked with on the 2014 drama “It’s Okay, That’s Love.” Jo In Sung shared, “I listened to Kyung Soo’s single. He’s already doing so well, so I don’t have much else to say. He’s completed his military service and released an album. I think he’s become more laid back now. I’m excited to see what’s ahead of him as he goes on to more music and acting activities.”

Jo In Sung also made a shout-out to fellow actor Lee Kwang Soo, whom he is known to be close with. “[His movie] ‘Sinkhole’ has its release coming up soon in the summer, and I hope it does well. I wish that Lee Kwang Soo also receives much love. Korean movies all need to do well.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1481616wpp/jo-in-sung-on-his-new-film-why-he-doesnt-use-social-media-his-friends-lee-kwang-soo-and-exos-d-o-and-more