Quantcast

Yoo Seung Ho 유승호 ユ・スンホ 俞 承 豪

3 hours ago, Berou said:

@Prisci thanks for the translation :)

I've watched the highlights of daddy fish, posted by MBC on youtube. Precious family and daddy fish are old dramas, it's hard to find subtitles, and even the dramas in their entirety. 

Although I couldnt understand, I was surprised and amazed by YSH's raw talent in daddy fish. This was his debut drama but he acted so well. He was truly meant to be an actor.  

I didnt know about the senior actor bribing him. His mother used to do it too. I get a bit sad when I hear these things. It shows he acted against his will, adults around him used bribes and tricks to make him act. He was pushed and forced into the entertainment industry because of his family financial situation, at such a young age he became the breadwinner.  

@Berou 

Yes, YSH had an inborn ability to act.  But he didn't enjoy it till much later in his life.  

Like you said, he was the sole breadwinner since he was 7.  So he grew up feeling that acting was his 'job.'  Being in the spotlight in such a young age, he must have experienced lots of praise and cheers in front of the camera.  But once the lights were turned off, reality may have been different...  The shocking contrast between how people treated him in front of the camera, and behind.  You can call it reality of the entertainment business.  Could a child understand such 2 faced actions among the adults?  He did mention in later interviews that he got hurt a lot.

And Koreans love titles, hierarchy and social status.  He, being from a poor family may not have helped.  Was that why he had an eye for underdogs?  I feel like he went against the grain and felt closer with unpopular people.  He avoided other famous entertainers.  He was polite with them, yes.  But could not open up with them.  

I am just speculating here.  I thought of this, because:

1. Many senior costars praised his good manners and meekness.  That he greets everyone in the set, no matter how big or smalls they are.  I can't remember which senior costar mentioned that during QUEEN SEON DOCK, he told him to go inside (air conditioned room) because it was too hot but YSH refused, saying that it was not fair for the rest of the staff.  

2. He was involved in mission works, helping orphans in Sri Lanka.  He wrote a memoir which IU turned into a song.  When you go to those places, and witness so much pain and human strength, you grow as a human and your view of the world expands.  You understand the meaning of being privileged, and you become humble.

He went to the Army, hoping to escape from this world that was so glamorous in the outside, but where he felt empty inside.  But it was in the Army, away from the limelight, that he came to understand his calling. That despite his introverted nature, he was a gifted actor.  And he missed that world.  

Coming back from the Army marked a new chapter in YSH's career.  A more mature, more independent chapter.  Filled with disappointments (with failed projects), but also filled with lots of learning experiences.

From BTS interviews, I feel that slowly but surely, YSH is learning to relax more and to open up.  He is also learning to make more closer friends within the entertainment world.  

We as fans wish he were more popular, that he be at the top.  On the other hand, I comfort myself believing that he is 'enjoying' acting.  It's no longer a burdensome work.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

“It is great my work receives strong responses and as a result I can enjoy popularity. But, that is not my purpose in acting. Money or fame is not my priority. I want to become an actor who can contin

Posted Images

He definetely got hurt due to mistreatment on set

Spoiler

According to industry insiders, Yoo Seung Ho always includes a very specific clause in his contract when being cast to take on roles in shows.

And that is “To have everyone on set agree to treat the younger cast with respect.” In fact, when Yoo Seung Ho appeared in the 2012 K-Drama Missing You, a staff on set revealed on social media that the actor “Requested the production team to please show the same amount of courtesy and consideration to the children actors.”

https://www.koreaboo.com/stories/actor-yoo-seung-ho-always-includes-specific-clause-contract-taking-roles-details/

For Queen Seundeok,  it was a staff that revealed this tidbit :

Spoiler

A production staff from 2009 drama “The Great Queen Seon Deok” had a heartwarming story to tell about actor Yoo Seung Ho.

On July 20, a screen capture of a Twitter post surfaced on an online community, titled “A post shared by a staff from ‘The Great Queen Seon Deok’ after reading Yoo Seung Ho’s recent interview.”

The writer of the Twitter post had shared a story from when he worked on the set of the historical drama. He explained that as a production staff member, he had told Yoo Seung Ho to rest inside since the actor was standing next to the crew in the sun. He said that Yoo Seung Ho’s reaction was a refreshing surprise

The Twitter post reads, “How time flies… My memory of Yoo Seung Ho consists of, ‘How can someone so young like me sit in an air conditioned room while the adults are working hard in the heat.’ That was his answer when I told him to sit inside since it was hot. This was when ‘Queen Seon Deok’ aired.”

He went on to elaborate, “The reason why I still remember this is because no cast member ever behaved like that. It was unprecedented. It’s not that they have to be that way, but it was shocking that he thought the way he did. And he never actually did go inside.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1014909wpp/production-staff-member-remembers-yoo-seung-hos-thoughtfulness-past-anecdote

I imagine the working conditions in filming industry in Korea are bad if you are not part of main cast or a senior actor. If YSH takes measures to insert a specific clause contract till today, then the working conditions for child actors have not changed that much since 20 years.  If I understand it correctly, they are considered as less-actors.  

The reason I like him as an actor is that he always goes against the grain, does what is unexpected and does not care about it. If someone points it out at him, he will just shrug. He has principles and sticks to them no matter what.  Making friends with unpopular actors is him going against the grain;  evaporating into air after a project and not giving any sign is also him going against the grain. It's tiresome sometimes as a fan to wait endlessly and hoplessly for some news. Stanning him is not for weak hearts :P.

22 hours ago, Prisci said:

From BTS interviews, I feel that slowly but surely, YSH is learning to relax more and to open up.  He is also learning to make more closer friends within the entertainment world. 

I've felt this change in him for 2/3 years.  I like now how he is closer to fans and no longer guarded.  He used to worry about his image and manners a lot, he always projected a perfect image. 

The only reason I care about him not being at the top is because of scripts.  He is a victim of bad choices in projects and directors/writers who don't know how to use well his talent.  When he was with his previous agency,  he used to get B-rate scripts or the leftovers.  Therefore, I think a little bit of popularity is no harm and might open the doors to him to greater scripts. 

• Love 1

Hello guys long time no see.

Thanks for tagging me @Berou I still not finish Memorist, the drama is too heavy for me. I dont understand anything :joy: right now my mood not into a drama. But I want to finish it for YSH. Maybe later.

Btw did anyone see this. This is amazing 

I hope YSH know about this... He never update his Ig anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

:waves:

Long time no see @rahma92 !!

11 hours ago, rahma92 said:

right now my mood not into a drama. But I want to finish it for YSH. Maybe later.

Me too.  Right now my mood is not into fangirling over YSH.  I will finish it later. I reckon I had a hard time to watch and understand the first two eps of Memorist. Eventually it got better,  I think I left the drama at  around ep 6. 

Wow that's fantastic, how did it happen ? Did the fans pay for  his billboard ?

I think he is taking a break from socmed. He has never been fond of socmed and was very reluctant to open a SNS account.   

Part 1 has been subbed ! :sparklyeyes:

For those who are curious for his first IG live from last year, there are also subs 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, rahma92 said:

Btw did anyone see this. This is amazing hope YSH know about this... He never update his Ig anymore. 

Hello @rahma92

Thank you for sharing the billboard.   Is that for real?  Was that Times Square?  No way! I used to commute there...

It says that actor Yoo Seung Ho ranked #1 in May.  But what kind of ranking? According to whom? 

Sorry for asking so many questions.   As mentioned in my intro, I haven't been following kdrama for many years.   Just came back during the lockdown.  And was awestruck to find the cute boy become such a handsome man.

• LOL 1
  • Wiggle 1
On 8/20/2020 at 10:04 PM, Berou said:

Reveal hidden contents

According to industry insiders, Yoo Seung Ho always includes a very specific clause in his contract when being cast to take on roles in shows.

And that is “To have everyone on set agree to treat the younger cast with respect.” In fact, when Yoo Seung Ho appeared in the 2012 K-Drama Missing You, a staff on set revealed on social media that the actor “Requested the production team to please show the same amount of courtesy and consideration to the children actors.”

https://www.koreaboo.com/stories/actor-yoo-seung-ho-always-includes-specific-clause-contract-taking-roles-details/

Hi @Berou

Thank you for sharing the articles.  I especially enjoyed reading Jenny Kang from Koreaboo.com 

Btw.  As promised, I did finish I MISS YOU (using ff button 50% of the times, watching YSH parts). Maybe if I watched this before Memorist, I  might have enjoyed it a bit more.  I couldn't help but compare the plot with Memorist, where you see even darker and more gruesome crimes. So IMY didn't move me. Many scenes felt unrealistic. (Funny, I felt the characters in Memorist, which is a webtoon story, reacted more realistically than those in IMY. The pace was super slow.  Even the bromance bet the main character and his police partner felt flat compared to the super heroic partnership YSH characters shared in MEMORIST.  

I hope I am not making any of IMY fans mad.  I just watched it for HARRY and his acting didn't disappoint. 

45 minutes ago, rahma92 said:

@Berou Corona really affect my life. I really not in the mood with anything. Thanks for the link  

@rahma92

How is corona affecting you?  I hope you and your loved ones are staying healthy.   

I Dont know about you.  But Corona was very scary and I think my anxieties and fears (fed by the media) made it so much bigger than it really is.  I had to take a break from watching news and trust God instead.  On the other hand, this situation made me appreciate things I took so much for granted before.   Such as my family, my health.  I thank God every day for another day.

God bless you 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Prisci said:

How is corona affecting you?  I hope you and your loved ones are staying healthy.   

All my familiy is healty. But others not as lucky as us. 

Yes same with you, Corona scared me so much. Im in depressed mode for one month. But now everything become better, I got used to it. Just hope everything will be back to normal. 

Psstt Im IMY fan. But Its fine, Its ok for having different opinions.

About firefighter I heard that they offers it to other actor already, Im kinda sad about it. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, rahma92 said:

@Berou Corona really affect my life. I really not in the mood with anything. Thanks for the link  

Corona has really  turned the world upside down. Where I live, it's pretty much the same since March. As you said it , we have to get used to it. You and your family being healthy is the most important thing.  Take care :)

21 hours ago, Prisci said:

Hi @Berou

Thank you for sharing the articles.  I especially enjoyed reading Jenny Kang from Koreaboo.com 

Btw.  As promised, I did finish I MISS YOU (using ff button 50% of the times, watching YSH parts). Maybe if I watched this before Memorist, I  might have enjoyed it a bit more.  I couldn't help but compare the plot with Memorist, where you see even darker and more gruesome crimes. So IMY didn't move me. Many scenes felt unrealistic. (Funny, I felt the characters in Memorist, which is a webtoon story, reacted more realistically than those in IMY. The pace was super slow.  Even the bromance bet the main character and his police partner felt flat compared to the super heroic partnership YSH characters shared in MEMORIST.  

I hope I am not making any of IMY fans mad.  I just watched it for HARRY and his acting didn't disappoint. 

I see myself as a IMY fan too, given it's the drama that made me a fan.  When I watched it back in 2012, I enjoyed it. It's not a perfect drama but it has strong points. We all have different tastes, I dislike IANAR whereas you love it. 

How did you find YSH acting in it ? He was 19 y.o at that time and I was awestruck by the maturity of his acting. When I googled him, I couldn't believe he was only 19 y.o, he looked older to me.  It was a bit obvious he was younger than the ML and FL but I thought he was around 23 y.o. 

I'm a bit bummed that he has given up car racing & motocross. He really enjoyed and was having a blast. On the other hand, I felt a bit relieved because they are dangerous extreme sports. We ranted so much and worried for him last year whenever we got news of him being busy with his hobbies. 

And his cat died :( . He is a cat  butler and his cats are his world. I can't imagine how sad he was. He must have gone through a hard time. 

On 8/21/2020 at 10:04 AM, Berou said:

Reveal hidden contents

For Queen Seundeok,  it was a staff that revealed this tidbit :

Reveal hidden contents

A production staff from 2009 drama “The Great Queen Seon Deok” had a heartwarming story to tell about actor Yoo Seung Ho.

On July 20, a screen capture of a Twitter post surfaced on an online community, titled “A post shared by a staff from ‘The Great Queen Seon Deok’ after reading Yoo Seung Ho’s recent interview.”

The writer of the Twitter post had shared a story from when he worked on the set of the historical drama. He explained that as a production staff member, he had told Yoo Seung Ho to rest inside since the actor was standing next to the crew in the sun. He said that Yoo Seung Ho’s reaction was a refreshing surprise

The Twitter post reads, “How time flies… My memory of Yoo Seung Ho consists of, ‘How can someone so young like me sit in an air conditioned room while the adults are working hard in the heat.’ That was his answer when I told him to sit inside since it was hot. This was when ‘Queen Seon Deok’ aired.”

He went on to elaborate, “The reason why I still remember this is because no cast member ever behaved like that. It was unprecedented. It’s not that they have to be that way, but it was shocking that he thought the way he did. And he never actually did go inside.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1014909wpp/production-staff-member-remembers-yoo-seung-hos-thoughtfulness-past-anecdote

I imagine the working conditions in filming industry in Korea are bad if you are not part of main cast or a senior actor. If YSH takes measures to insert a specific clause contract till today, then the working conditions for child actors have not changed that much since 20 years.  If I understand it correctly, they are considered as less-actors.  

Spoiler

If we listen and discern some of the sharings of child stars, we can peel the not so nice treatment that some experienced from the industry.  Or even activities that adults did even in front of kids (i.e. smoking, cursing, etc). I remember a variety guesting of Kim Yoo Jung, where was sharing that she has strong legs coz she got used to shooting where there's nothing to sit on.  I guess since most child stars then will not have management companies and some are just with their Moms, hence production team are taking them for granted.  Even YDG shared that since he was with the production team, hence he hears all of their conversation, see them smoking and cursing.  Hence, I really have a soft spot for the above.  They bore the sacrifices and challenges attached to the child actor tag.  

• Like 1
On 8/19/2020 at 12:16 AM, Berou said:

@Prisci

In my case, you guessed it right. Due to Covid, I  was MIA for 3 months. I came back in July. I've put on hold Memorist, I am busy and too many things are going on from my end. I want to watch and finish Memorist when my mind is at rest and peace.  I will probably start watching it next month.  I don't know for the others. Tagging @rahma92 & @See Wong to come over. 

Post-MSH was a hard time for Yoopies. MSH is indeed his worst post-military drama. I've wrecked my brain to understand the reason he chose it. He must have liked something in it. Picking a high school drama was a step backward. He had a hard time to transition from childhood to adulthood, from child counter parts dramas to adult dramas, thus I felt doing a high school drama was the wrong step. 

I was very happy when he got confirmed for firefighter because it's been years I've been wanting to see him in a movie again. He was traumatized after the failures of Kim Sundal and Joseon Magician, he was reluctant and a bit scared to do another movie. Indeed, it had a lot of potential. But I think he took the right decision, he privileged health and saftey. Hard times for cinema and entertainment industry now, people are scared to go out and watch movies. The movies that were promised to be hit movies  are struggling. We don't know when the pandemic will be over. 

For posting images and videos, you simply need to copy-past the link. They will be automatically embedded. 

@debbiechan

:heythere:.    Good to see you again :) 

Hi, Its been so long, thank you for tagging me, Sorry for missing such a long time, like everybody.. been effecting by the Coronavirus, its just bring your mood down! as I live in the UK, things just get worst!!! the Western world did not handling the Covid19 as good as the Asia! ok.. me too, I am supprising many people did not finish Memorist when everybody so looking forward to it and dream come true when he take the part!! maybe the drama a bit too dark and depressed to our taste on this situation!! so I watch other light hearted and healing drama instead! other than that.. this is the first time I did not manage to watch YSH drama, I actually found he is lacking of something! felt like he dont really want to be there!! Just my oppinion! and his Instagram has closed! its said been hack! not so sure, I think he really not into or he need to take a long break!! let find out. 

Please do take care, keep safe. I will be much positive next time. promise.

• Like 1

Good morning.

I just watched this clip.  Actor Jung Gwal Ryung went to a Tv show named MARITEL.  In there, the senior actor called Yoo Seung Ho!

It was fun and cute hearing YSH caught in live program.  

Edit.  I believe this clip is just 8 months old.  Let me know if you want me to translate.  Or give you a summary of the conversation. :)

• Like 1

After reading dramabeans IANAR commentaries and viewer reviews,  I realized all the more why I love this drama soooooo much, and more specifically, why I became fascinated by the depth of emotions I witnessed through YSH's acting here.

I wrote the following at. IANAR thread.  Can I post here too? Let me know if not, I will change. 

On the surface, this drama sounds silly and UNREALISTIC.   About a man falling in love with a robot???  But the more you watch,  you realize its not about a robot.   No, this drama is about a human monster who falls in love and starts healing.  Sounds familiar?  Yes, like Beauty and the Beast. 

Like that Beast, MK was imprisoned in his castle unable to interact with others for 15 years.  YSH portrayed such a character.   A child like monster.  Socially awkward and scared to show his weakness to others.  This monster,  after meeting Jia, starts opening up. But the process isn't easy.(SPOILER)

When the truth comes out (epu 25): that all the new found freedom and love were based on lies, the monster returns ever so furiously.  Rawwrring in pain, bleeding tears (literally). Next episode, we witness a Shakespearean type of monologue.  He was baring his soul: I am angry because I love you.

For me, he deserves standing ovation for that kind of acting. 

And slowly,  through much love,  open dialogue and forgiveness,  true healing begins.   I watched in total awe at this transformation.   It was a true metamorphosis.   The monster became a prince charming.

And Jia, she truly was like Bell,  independent and assertive.   This drama at first, felt like diminishing women to robot like relationships.  But in the end,  it was about women's power,  and how they have the power,  through dialogue,  to fix and change the world 

• Thanks 1
On 8/30/2020 at 4:48 PM, akikisetsu said:

Reveal hidden contents

If we listen and discern some of the sharings of child stars, we can peel the not so nice treatment that some experienced from the industry.  Or even activities that adults did even in front of kids (i.e. smoking, cursing, etc). I remember a variety guesting of Kim Yoo Jung, where was sharing that she has strong legs coz she got used to shooting where there's nothing to sit on.  I guess since most child stars then will not have management companies and some are just with their Moms, hence production team are taking them for granted.  Even YDG shared that since he was with the production team, hence he hears all of their conversation, see them smoking and cursing.  Hence, I really have a soft spot for the above.  They bore the sacrifices and challenges attached to the child actor tag.  

Thank you for your input :)

Child actors dont have it easy and suffer a lot. I don't know if someone else than YSH has been vocal, I don't follow closely other child actors. He said multiple times in interviews that he got hurt of adults and he does not recommend being a child actor. You put 2 and 2 together, and deduce his childhood was filled with suffering. 

YDG ? Isnt it rather YJG ? I once watched his appearance in a reality show where he jokingly said he was mistaken to be an adult as a teenager because of his deep voice. The adult actors proposed him to smoke. So, they didnt care about smoking in front of a child.

On 9/2/2020 at 5:03 PM, See Wong said:

Hi, Its been so long, thank you for tagging me, Sorry for missing such a long time, like everybody.. been effecting by the Coronavirus, its just bring your mood down! as I live in the UK, things just get worst!!! the Western world did not handling the Covid19 as good as the Asia! ok.. me too, I am supprising many people did not finish Memorist when everybody so looking forward to it and dream come true when he take the part!! maybe the drama a bit too dark and depressed to our taste on this situation!! so I watch other light hearted and healing drama instead! other than that.. this is the first time I did not manage to watch YSH drama, I actually found he is lacking of something! felt like he dont really want to be there!! Just my oppinion! and his Instagram has closed! its said been hack! not so sure, I think he really not into or he need to take a long break!! let find out. 

Please do take care, keep safe. I will be much positive next time. promise.

Hello ,

It's everywhere the same. Covid has affected a lot of lives in the world :(. Take care of you. 

I have started to watch Memorist again. I have resumed where I left. It's indeed a dark drama, however that's why I like it. Not everyone can watch serious and dark dramas. I prefer Memorist over his rom-coms, not that I dislike rom-coms. They are nice to watch when they are well-written and have deep dialogues. 

I find YSH really good in Memorist. He is very in tune with his character. He worried uselessly about doing career roles such as doctor, detective and so on. I hope he continues on this route. 

His IG got closed because of impostors/fake accounts that were asking money to fans. Story J posted a message on the official fancafe. It's not a hack. I hope they will find another way to let YSH to communicate with his fans.

On 9/4/2020 at 3:27 PM, Prisci said:

Edit.  I believe this clip is just 8 months old.  Let me know if you want me to translate.  Or give you a summary of the conversation

Oh please do it ! :)

Whether a summary or a translation. I'm all ears. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...