Kim Nam Gil 김남길 ~ An Actors' Actor ~ Upcoming Films : 'The Guardian' | 'Emergency Declaration'

Admin

Kim Nam-gil, successful Bangkok fan meeting... On a global tour

25b3b4b5-3a01-4746-a2f5-c583ba3fc70d.jpg

Actor Kim Nam-gil received attention from the Thai media while cruising around the world on tour in seven major cities. On the 8th, Kim Nam-gil successfully completed the press conference held at the KBank Siam Pic-Ganesha Theater in Bangkok and the 2023 Kim Nam-gil global tour 'Again'.

Above all, the local media's interest in Kim Nam-gil, who received great love through his half character in the series 'Island', which entered the top 10 in Amazon Prime Video TV show category in 26 countries and ranked first in various countries and regions, including Singapore, Philippines, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Thailand. Interest was hot.

Prior to the performance, Kim Nam-gil held a press conference, and the heated competition of 100 major media outlets made him realize his global popularity. The site was crowded with fans who gathered to see Kim Nam-gil as well as local media.

Kim Nam-gil, who opened the Bangkok fan concert with a sweet song, received an enthusiastic response by preparing a corner to communicate more closely with fans along with a recent talk. In particular, Kim Nam-gil presented an unforgettable moment to the fans through a special event where he personally saw off each member of the audience after the performance.

Kim Nam-gil, who made precious memories with Thai fans, said, "It's my first fan concert in Bangkok, so I'm grateful for welcoming me. I will repay you with good works and acting so that I can show you a better image of an actor. We will create more opportunities to meet more global fans in the future, so let's meet again."

Meanwhile, Kim Nam-gil, who successfully finished the Bangkok fan concert, will continue his global tour in major cities around the world, including Taipei, Hong Kong, and Singapore.

https://www.hankookilbo.com/News/Read/A2023071310340005932

• Like 1

Jung Woo-sung joins Ice Bucket Challenge... The next runner is Kim Nam-gil, Lim Ji-yeon, Ju Ji-hoon

Actor Jung Woo-sung contributed to the ice bucket challenge. Jung Woo-sung revealed on the 18th that he participated in the 2023 Ice Bucket Challenge after being nominated by Tiger JK.

Jung Woo-sung chose to donate instead of ice water. He covered up the amount in the certificate of donation and did not disclose specifically how much it was. Jung Woo-sung pointed out actors Kim Nam-gil, Lim Ji-yeon, and Ju Ji-hoon as the hitters who would succeed him. Attention is focusing on whether the three will join the Ice Bucket Challenge.

https://isplus.com/article/view/isp202307180242

BMW Motorrad selects actor Kim Nam-gil as ‘BMW Motorrad Buddy’

20230718500342.jpg

BMW Motorrad, the motorcycle division of BMW Group Korea, announced on the 18th that it had selected actor Kim Nam-gil as 'BMW Motorrad Buddy' and delivered a high-performance roadster motorcycle M 1000 R. .

'BMW Motorrad Buddy' is a public relations ambassador selected as the person who best fits the concept pursued by BMW Motorrad, and will play a role in publicizing the various charms of BMW Motorrad models through various activities for a certain period of time.

https://m.sentv.co.kr/news/view/662685

https://www.metroseoul.co.kr/article/20230718500341

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like the song Reverberation by Kim Dong ryul. I discovered it a long time ago as the OST for drama Autumn Shower and I am looking for this song to listen from time to time. I was surprised when I saw Kim Nam Gil singing this song recently at Osaka, at his global tour event. He did very well.

• 4 weeks later...

Kim Nam-gil "'Guardian' Jung Woo-sung bromance? I watched 'Brokeback Mountain' again" [Interview+]

배우 김남길/사진=길스토리이엔티

If you've seen the film The Protector, you've probably had a common reaction to Kim Nam-gil's performance. His character, Woo-jin, is crazy, but the way he portrays him is, as the popular social media phrase goes, "tearing up" the screen. Kim Nam-gil has always been a reliable actor, but he proved it even more in 'Protector'.

The Protector is an action film that tells the story of Soo-hyuk (played by Jung Woo-sung), an organised crime figure who is released from prison after 10 years and wants his daughter to know he exists and live a normal life. Actor Jung Woo-sung not only played the main character Su-hyuk, but also directed the film. Woo-jin, played by Kim Nam-gil, is a fixer known as "The Washer". When he receives a request to "get rid of Soo-hyuk," he tries to do it ruthlessly and in his own way.

Woo-jin, who approaches the people he wants to eliminate with the confession that "my brothers bullied me when I was younger," is a man of both innocence and cruelty. He's a "clear-eyed madman. "He's like the Joker," some audience members commented.

01.34299038.1.jpg

"To show why Woo-jin is living like this, I thought it was important to show his childhood wounds and trauma," says Kim Nam-gil, introducing his interpretation of Woo-jin, "I tried to show him as a person who hasn't grown up because of those wounds." Kim Nam-gil said that when he was offered the role by director Jung Woo-sung, he said, "I'll just do what I do with my brother." He added, "I'm good at being affectionate with my brothers and sisters," but he also said, "It can be overwhelming to be like Woo-jin, so I'm actually only showing about 5% of the film," which made him laugh.

Kim Nam-gil is known to be a talkative and jovial actor, often referred to as a 'chatterbox'. However, he has never shown his hilarity and madness at the same time as a character in a film. "There was a pressure to show a new face that hasn't been seen before, but I didn't think I could surpass the sociopath and psychopath characters that have been shown so far," says Kim. "When I thought about showing it in a different way, the pressure disappeared and I felt comfortable," he says, adding that he created a Woojin that you might have seen before, but with a twist.

"I've seen all the films with psychopaths and sociopaths," he said, adding that his relationship with Soo-hyuk, played by Jung Woo-sung, was inspired by the film 'Brokeback Mountain'. It's not a homosexual code, but I wanted to express an attitude of respect and admiration," he laughs.

"I think actor Jung Woo-sung and director Jung Woo-sung are similar, because acting and directing both start with people, and there was an attitude of consideration and understanding when acting and directing."

He went on to confess, "When we were filming, I thought, 'I shouldn't appear in a film directed by my seniors again,' but I want to appear again." Kim Nam-gil said, "Because he knew the acting chemistry and directed it, it was good, but there was no corner to run away from when acting." He added, "It was hard because I know too well why actors want to hide things, but there is also a part of him that knows and cares, so I would gladly work with him again." He shared his honest thoughts.

01.34299039.1.jpg

Prior to "Protector," Kim Nam-gil appeared in "Hunt," directed by Lee Jung-jae, who has a close relationship with Jung Woo-sung, often referred to as the "Cheongdam couple". Kim laughed as he revealed that although Jung Woo-sung and Lee Jung-jae have been friends for a long time, "there is a definite difference in their directing styles." "(Lee) Jung-jae is free and leaves everything to the staff, and he sees a big mountain and controls it, whereas Woo-sung has his own ideas in great detail and finds things that deviate from what he thinks like a ghost. In conclusion, both of them are hard," he said.

But he also said he was "touched" by Jung Woo-sung's attentiveness.

"There's a scene where Woo-jin gets grabbed by the hair in the car by Su-hyuk, and I stuck my head out and turned it around to see how I could get a good camera angle, and Woo-sung was watching it on the monitor, and he said, 'You don't have to adapt to the other actors, the situation, the staff. I've been acting like that all my life, but I've never had a director tell me, 'Do it for you, do it selfishly,' and I know he knows I can't do it (laughs), but I really appreciated it and was touched by it."

Spoiler

01.34299040.1.jpg

Kim Nam-gil is also known as an actor who is interested in producing and directing. In 2013, 10 years ago, he worked with Jung Woo-sung, as well as directors Koo Hye-sun and Yang Ik-joon, to produce an omnibus short film on the theme of "life companions." Some wondered if he would follow in Jung Woo-sung's footsteps and become an actor-director.

"If before I thought, 'How hard it must be to direct,' when I did the short project, I thought, 'Wow, it's really hard.' There are a lot of things to experience and a lot of things to do. I think directors are really good at everything, so instead of being greedy, I think you should think about wanting to do it without causing any inconvenience."

https://www.hankyung.com/entertainment/article/202308231290H

• Like 1

20230825045336_song-of-the-bandits-trailWatch: Kim Nam Gil, Seohyun, And More Showcase Breathtaking Action Scenes In “Song Of The Bandits” Trailer

Aug 25, 2023
by S. Kim

Upcoming Netflix series “Song of the Bandits” has dropped a new trailer and a poster!

“Song of the Bandits” is an action adventure set in 1920 where people throw a fierce punch of defiance to those who have chased them away from their homes in order to protect their land, family, and comrades. Through fictional characters, the history of defeat will be turned into a history of victory. The series stars Kim Nam Gil, Girls’ Generation’s Seohyun, Yoo Jae Myung, Lee Hyun Wook, and Lee Ho Jung.

The trailer begins with intense and bold action taking place in Gando, the lawless land in China where money from Japan and people from Joseon have gathered in 1920. The bandits, who have gathered to live like human beings, fight to protect what is valuable to them as they ride horses across the wasteland caught in sandstorms.

The poster that was released along with the trailer captures Lee Yoon (Kim Nam Gil), who is wearing a cowboy hat and a long coat with a long gun in his hand, standing alone against the backdrop of the wilderness of Gando. The text that reads, “Live to survive, steal to protect,” raises viewers’ curiosity about the story of how he became a bandit.

Song-of-the-Bandits.jpeg

Kim Nam Gil remarked, “While there are people who live to retrieve their country, it was interesting for me that this is a distinctive story about people who live to protect the ones around them. I was curious about what kind of synergy would emerge when the historical background and the stories of those struggling to save their families come together.”

“Song of the Bandits” is set to premiere on September 22. Stay tuned!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1609356wpp/watch-kim-nam-gil-seohyun-and-more-showcase-breathtaking-action-scenes-in-song-of-the-bandits-trailer

• Like 1

by Lily Alice, August 25, 2023
6 0

The Netflix series Song of the Bandits has confirmed its release. The K-drama is scheduled to premiere on September 22nd.

Song of the Bandits is an action drama set in 1920 in the land of Gangdo, where desperate people strive to protect their loved ones and their livelihoods.

The released teaser opens with a gripping sequence set against the tumultuous backdrop of Gangdo - a land caught in a whirlwind of change - where Japanese influences clash with Joseon's heritage. A group of rogues, united by a common goal, engages in fierce battles as they race through the barren land.

The teaser presents a tantalizing preview of fresh and dynamic action scenes, enticing action drama fans.

In the drama, Kim Nam Gil, who plays the leader of the group of rogues, Lee Yoon, commented on the reason for joining the drama, saying, "There are people who live to regain their country, but the story is about those who protect and live for the people around them, which was interesting. I wondered what kind of synergy would emerge when the stories of those struggling to protect their families in the historical background blend together".

The revealed poster depicts Lee Yoon standing alone under the vast sky. Against the backdrop of Gangdo's vast wilderness, Lee Yoon, wearing a cowboy hat and a long coat fluttering in the wind, grips a rifle, arousing curiosity about the circumstances that led him to become a rogue.

WP1edP_2f.png

E5YNkW_2f.png

The setting of the drama, as depicted in the trailer and poster, gives a vibe of Western action production, a genre rarely adapted in K-dramas. So, if you want a break from cliche rom-coms, Song of the Bandits, with its fresh concept and colonial Korea as the backdrop, will prove to be a perfect pick. 

The K-drama also stars Seo HyunYoo Jae MyungLee Hyun WookLee Ho Jung, and Kim Seol Jin, among others. 

https://mydramalist.com/article/netflix-original-song-of-the-bandits-starring-kim-nam-gil-seo-hyun-reveals-premiere-date

• Like 1

August 25 2023

Teaser trailer and poster for Netflix drama “Song of the Bandits”

Song_of_the_Bandits-teaserSM1.jpg

Teaser trailer and poster added for Netflix drama series “Song of the Bandits” starring Kim Nam-Gil & Seohyun. The drama series is set in 1920 around the western parts of China. Caption on the teaser poster below states “1920, era of the bandits” and “Must steal to survive.”

The 9 episode drama series “Song of the Bandits” will be available to stream from September 22, 2023.

Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki: While under Japanese occupation, people in South Korea head to the lawless land of Jiandao in China. There, the travelers settle down and unite to protect their settlement from harm. Major characters are:

Lee Yoon (Kim Nam-Gil) is a Korean who serves under the Japanese military in South Korea. Circumstances leads him to leave everything behind and travel to Jiandao, China. He becomes a bandit to protect the settlement in Jiandao and its people.

Nam Hee-Shin (Seohyun) hides her real identity and works as a section chief in the railway bureau for the Japanese controlled government in Korea.

Lee Chung-Soo (Yoo Jae-Myung) was an army commander for the independence movement in Korea and he now leads the Korean settlement in Jiandao.

Lee Gwang-Il (Lee Hyun-Wook) is a Japanese military officer who is hostile to Lee Yoon.

Eon-Nyeon (Lee Ho-Jung) is a contract killer and highly skilled with guns. She is hired to kill Lee Yoon and heads to Jiandao to carry out her contract.

Song_of_the_Bandits-tp1.jpeg

https://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/teaser-trailer-and-poster-for-netflix-drama-song-of-the-bandits

• Like 1

Kim Nam-gil fights for freedom in Song of the Bandits

by solstices

Kim Nam-gil? In a period drama? Sign me right up! Netflix’s first teaser for Song of the Bandits is out, launching us right into the midst of the action alongside its exceptional cast. At just nine episodes, the drama certainly promises tight storytelling and tense pursuits — and there’s no time to waste when there’s a land to protect.

1920, the era of the bandits. At the center of this tale is Lee Yoon, played by Kim Nam-gil (Island). Born as a nobi — in other words, a serf — Yoon may have been emancipated, but the weight of servitude still bears heavy on his heart. Following the words of a nobleman, Yoon enlisted into the Japanese army, stepping foot onto the war-torn battlefield.

Then, for reasons yet unknown, Yoon renounces his allegiance. Setting off for the lawless land of Jiandao, he now points his muzzle in an entirely different direction. “Are you the independence army?” a Japanese soldier questions. “No,” Yoon responds, cocking his gun. “We’re bandits.”

Conflict is rife in Jiandao, where the financial might of Japan and the impassioned people of Joseon clash upon Chinese land. The odds may be against Jiandao’s Korean settlement, but that doesn’t quell their fighting spirit one bit. Led by Lee Chung-soo, the former commander of the independence movement — played by Yoo Jae-myung (Juvenile Justice) — they won’t back down. All they wish for is to live like human beings, free from the agony of oppression.

Of course, the imperial army won’t condone the slightest dissent. As the opportunistic officer Lee Kwang-il, main antagonist Lee Hyun-wook (Remarriage & Desires) has Yoon in his rifle’s crosshairs. He isn’t the only one out for Yoon’s blood, since contract killer Eon-nyeon has been commissioned to eliminate the rogue bandit. Played by Lee Ho-jung (Moving), the orphaned markswoman is determined to hunt her mark down — but if Yoon’s raised eyebrow is any indication, his sharpshooter prowess is on par with hers.

Amidst the brass bullets and brutal brawls, one lady exudes an aura of refined elegance. Though she works under the colonial government as a railway section chief, Nam Hee-shin — played by Seohyun (Jinxed at First) — is not what she seems. Disguised as a pro-Japanese sympathizer, her traitorous loyalty is a facade to mask her commitment to the independence movement. Presumably, she’ll join hands with Yoon against the colonial tyrants — since both of them seek to protect not just the country, but also the lives of its citizens.

Directed by Hwang Joon-hyuk (Black Dog) and Han Jin-seon, with scripts penned by Han Jung-hoon (Bad Guys), Song of the Bandits will be released on September 22 via Netflix.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/08/kim-nam-gil-fights-for-freedom-in-song-of-the-bandits/

• Like 1

Netflix drops trailer for Kim Nam Gil's 'Song of the Bandits'

Friday, August 25, 2023
2023082538135631.jpg

Video: 'Song of the Bandits' teaser trailer

Source: Netflix Korea via YouTube

[+460] Looking forward to Netflix's first period drama on the Japanese colonial era

[+312] This feels like a combination between 'Assassination' and 'The Good, the Bad, and the Weird.' Feels like a good mix of history and action! I hope Netflix continues to put out more content surrounding the gloomy stories of modern and contemporary history, especially traditional Korean historical works.

[+240] Another legendary drama by Kim Nam Gil

[+86] Ah, another legend in the works for Kim Nam Gil ㅠㅠㅠ I can't wait

[+73] Kim Nam Gil is a must watch

[+57] I love watching Nam Gil-nim work with guns and swords on horse but more than anything, I love his gaze and voice above all

[+56] I've always yearned for a period drama like this, really happy that Netflix picked this up. Excited for Kim Nam Gil, handsome Lee Hyun Wook, pretty Seohyun. The music sounds great as well. 

[+44] It's only the teaser and my heart's already beating... can't wait!!

[+39] Kim Nam Gil and period dramas, it's a crazy combo ㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜ

[+37] Kim Nam Gil is so perfect for these roles, I really can't imagine anyone else

[+24] I know a lot of top stars hesitate to take on these types of dramas in fear of pissing off the Japanese market, but Nam Gil hyung never disappoints

[+19] The teaser itself already feels so majestic. Kim Nam Gil is always a trustworthy watch, I can't wait to see his action acting. 

[+4] Despite her large Japanese fanbase, Seohyun has always spoken up for and posted the Taegukgi on liberation day and other holidays during her Soshi days. Now I see that even her eye for picking dramas is a good on.Very cool of her to not bow to the opinions of others

http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.com/2023/08/netflix-drops-trailer-for-kim-nam-gils.html

• Like 1

by Hazel Jung, August 29, 2023

x4kJ0q_2f.jpg

Set in the lawless land of Gando, where people from 1920s China, Japan's wealth, and Korea converged, Song of the Bandits portray the actions of those who come together to protect their loved ones and their lives amidst the tumultuous era. The lead characters gives a glimpse into how individuals of that era faced challenges using their methods.

0wyJoE_2f.jpg

Kim Nam Gil takes on the role of Lee Yoon, the leader of a band of thieves. A former slave who became a Japanese soldier following the young lord he served, Lee Yoon now lives a new life as a bandit in Gando. Kim Nam Gil explained, "He starts making judgments based on his own knowledge of right and wrong, what should and shouldn't be done, expressing his changing appearance. He faces dramatic changes within the turbulent times."

https://mydramalist.com/article/character-stills-revealed-for-song-of-the-bandits-featuring-kim-nam-gil-seo-hyun-and-more

• Like 1

News bites: September 2, 2023

by tccolb

In the meantime, Netflix will be taking us to the gritty 1920s in the upcoming Song of the Bandits. Preparing for battle in the… er… wild east, our ragtag crew are assembled in the newest poster, led by Kim Nam-gil (Island) and Yoo Jae-myung (Juvenile Justice). The period-action launches later this month on September 22. [Newsen]

Bdpzvz_2f.png

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/09/news-bites-september-2-2023/

• Like 1

20230906064335_go-kyu-pil-amin-kim-nam-g

Actor Go Kyu Pil To Tie The Knot With Singer Amin + Kim Nam Gil To Officiate Wedding

Sep 6, 2023
by S. Kim

“The Roundup: No Way Out” (also known as “The Outlaws 3”) star Go Kyu Pil is getting married!

On September 6, Go Kyu Pil’s agency released a statement announcing the actor’s wedding plans as below:

Hello. This is BIG BOSS Entertainment.

Actor Go Kyu Pil will be tying the knot with his longtime girlfriend on November 12.

After maintaining a long relationship with singer-songwriter Amin (real name Min Soo Yeon), who has always been supportive of him by his side, Go Kyu Pil’s relationship [with Amin] has come to beautiful fruition as they become each other’s reliable partner for the rest of their lives.

The wedding ceremony will be held with their families, relatives, and close acquaintances, and since it will be held privately, we ask for your understanding that we cannot disclose specific details.

We are deeply grateful to everyone who always sends lots of support and love to actor Go Kyu Pil. Please send lots of congratulatory messages and encouragement to Go Kyu Pil, who will be starting a new journey with his special someone.

Go Kyu Pil will continue to spare no efforts to impress as an actor, so please look fondly upon him with warmth.

Thank you.

Along with his marriage news, a media outlet also reported that actor Kim Nam Gil will be officiating Go Kyu Pil’s wedding.

In response to the report, Kim Nam Gil’s agency GILSTORY ENT shared, “Kim Nam Gil will be the host of Go Kyu Pil’s wedding. Kim Nam Gil promised Go Kyu Pil a long time ago that he will officiate [the wedding] when he gets married, and he will be able to keep the promise this time.”

Born in 1982, Go Kyu Pil debuted through the film “Kid Cop” in 1993 and played as a scene-stealer in various productions such as the dramas “Squad 38,” “Life on Mars,” and “Lovers of the Red Sky” as well as the film “On Your Wedding Day” and “Honest Candidate.” In particular, the actor received great love for his role as Cho Rong in the film “The Roundup: No Way Out,” which was released in May and surpassed 10 million moviegoers by July.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1611907wpp/actor-go-kyu-pil-to-tie-the-knot-with-singer-amin-kim-nam-gil-to-officiate-wedding

• Like 1

September 6 2023

Trailer and character posters for Netflix drama “Song of the Bandits”

Song_of_the_Bandits-CPSM1.jpg

Trailer and character posters added for Netflix drama series “Song of the Bandits” starring Kim Nam-Gil & Seohyun. The character posters above and below are of Kim Nam-Gil as Lee Yoon, Seohyun as Nam Hee-Shin, Yoo Jae-Myung as Lee Chung-Soo, Lee Hyun-Wook as Lee Gwang-Il, and Lee Ho-Jung as Eon-Nyeon. Caption on all the character posters states “Must steal to survive.” The drama series is set in the early 20th century.

“Song of the Bandits” will be available to stream from September 22, 2023.

Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki: While under Japanese occupation, people in South Korea head to the lawless land of Jiandao in China. There, the travelers settle down and unite to protect their settlement from harm. Major characters are:

Lee Yoon (Kim Nam-Gil) is a Korean who serves under the Japanese military in South Korea. Circumstances leads him to leave everything behind and travel to Jiandao, China. He becomes a bandit to protect the settlement in Jiandao and its people.

Nam Hee-Shin (Seohyun) hides her real identity and works as a section chief in the railway bureau for the Japanese controlled government in Korea.

Lee Chung-Soo (Yoo Jae-Myung) was an army commander for the independence movement in Korea and he now leads the Korean settlement in Jiandao.

Lee Gwang-Il (Lee Hyun-Wook) is a Japanese military officer who is hostile to Lee Yoon.

Eon-Nyeon (Lee Ho-Jung) is a contract killer and highly skilled with guns. She is hired to kill Lee Yoon and heads to Jiandao to carry out her contract.

Song_of_the_Bandits-cp1.jpeg

https://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/trailer-and-character-posters-for-netflix-drama-song-of-the-bandits

• Like 1

by Lily Alice, September 6, 2023
1 0

Song of the Bandits has unveiled a riveting trailer and character posters. 

The Netflix original series Song of the Bandits is an action drama set in 1920 in the land of Gangdo, where desperate people strive to protect their loved ones and their livelihoods.

The released character posters feature the protagonists. Leading the gang of outlaws in Gangdo is Lee Yoon (Kim Nam Gil), formerly a Japanese soldier; Nam Hee Shin (Seo Hyun) is an independence activist masquerading as a manager of the railroad bureau; Choi Choo (Yoo Jae Myung), once a righteous army leader, now protects the Korean village in Gangdo; Lee Kwang Il (Lee Hyun Wook) is the youngest Korean-born Japanese military major; and Eon Nyeon Yi (Lee Ho Jung) is an exceptional marksman. 

2wNyok_2f.png

BdpJB1_2f.png

Set against the backdrop of swirling dust in the Gangdo wilderness, the posters showcase each character's iconic weapon, intense expressions, and intriguing interactions with other characters, igniting curiosity about their relationships. 

The simultaneously released trailer intensifies the anticipation for this unique action-packed epic. Lee Yoon, who had to witness his people being robbed and victimized daily, gathers a group of individuals to form an outlaw gang all with the aim of protecting his family and homeland. Choi Choong Soo, a master of the bow and sword; Kang San Gun, a sharpshooter; Cho Rang Yi, who wields an axe; and Geum Soo, skilled with both fists and a shotgun, compose this formidable outlaw gang.

One day, rumors spread about the transportation of funds for the construction of the Gangdo Railway - prompting Lee Yoon, driven by the desire to protect his loved ones and secure money, and an unknown character with their sights set on the money - to head to Gangdo. This unfolds alongside Nam Hee Shin, who enlists the help of Eon Nyeon Yi and spares no means, including stopping a train carrying Japanese soldiers. 

The trailer shows an action spectacle and characters in high-stakes situations, risking their lives to fight for survival. 

Tune in to Song of the Bandits on September 22nd, only on Netflix. Watch the official trailer here.

https://mydramalist.com/article/kim-nam-gil-others-fight-for-their-homeland-in-the-trailer-of-song-of-the-bandits

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Premiere Watch: Song of the Bandits

by missvictrix

220661_228241_5137.jpg

Time slot: Friday (single drop)
Broadcaster: Netflix
Genre: Action, historical
Episode count: 9

Reasons to watch: Netflix’s next original series takes us back to the 1920s during the Japanese occupation, but we’re one-upping the freedom fighter motif with Old West-style bandits. With Kim Nam-gil and Yoo Jae-myung leading the fray, we also have Seohyun as a double agent of sorts, also fighting for freedom (and looking beautiful while doing it). On the baddie side of things, there’s born-to-be-bad Lee Hyun-wook as the officer after our hero, and the lovely Lee Ho-jung as the assassin who will try to put an end to the pesky bandits. While the costuming and art direction look amazing, and the drama looks like a fun romp, I’m not yet entirely sold on Netflix’s portrayal of the era, nor its commitment to the high-budget action sequences. There’s a fine line between historical adventure romp and campy train wreck, so I’m hoping we veer towards the former.

TL;DR: Kim Nam-gil tears it up as a freedom-loving bandit in the 19020s

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/09/premiere-watch-song-of-the-bandits/

Pictures from the press conference

220661_228247_2252.jpg

220661_228246_2231.jpg

Kim Nam-gil “‘Thief: The Sound of the Knife’ shows a sad face” (pictorial)

image_readtop_2023_723115_16953419415636

Actor Kim Nam-gil's pictorial has been released. Kim Nam-gil showed another unfamiliar face through the October issue of fashion magazine Allure Korea.

In this pictorial, Kim Nam-gil goes back and forth between a chic boyish look and a dandy charm, giving off a variety of moods. Kim Nam-gil perfectly pulled off luxurious yet unique styles, including a black jacket with scarf details, a tie, a black point knit, and a black leather jacket and brown cargo pants, drawing a warm response from the on-site staff.

The sensuous pictorial was completed with free-spirited poses, as well as facial expressions and eyes that changed with each cut. By freely going from a dandy atmosphere to a boyish look, he showed a variety of faces and once again realized the aspect of an unrivaled ‘pictorial craftsman’. In an interview following the photo shoot, Kim Nam-gil talked about the Netflix series ‘Thief: The Sound of the Sword’, which will be released on the 22nd.

image_readmed_2023_723115_16953419415636

image_readbot_2023_723115_16953419415636

Kim Nam-gil said, “Is the face shown in ‘The Thief: The Sound of the Sword’ a miserable face? I wonder if that kind of face would have appeared. “In order to tell the story of people who live in difficult times and protect what is precious to them, I tried to express a character who lives in that era silently,” he said, explaining the character Lee Yoon, who plays the role in ‘Thief: The Sound of the Sword’.

In ‘Thieves: The Sound of the Sword’, Kim Nam-gil plays Lee Yoon, who made a remarkable contribution during his time in the Japanese military, but after an incident six years ago prompted him to abandon everything and lead a group of thieves to Gando. Lee Yoon is a character who is skilled in fighting and using firearms, having a record of destroying an artillery unit single-handedly. Expectations are high for the colorful and stylish actions that Kim Nam-gil will show.

Kim Nam-gil's pictorial and interview can be found in the October issue of Allure Korea, website, and social media channels.

https://www.mk.co.kr/star/hot-issues/view/2023/09/723115/

Song of the Bandits: Episode 1 (First Impressions)

by missvictrix

Netflix’s latest series brings us into the past, into a period of lawlessness and desperation where “kill or be killed” is the motto of the day. Attempting to pull us into a sweeping tale, though, the drama lacks any backing to get us emotionally invested, and the first episode moves both far too fast, and far too slow.

Editor’s note: This is an Episode 1 review only. For a place to chat about the entire drama, visit the Drama Hangout.

EPISODE 1

Song of the Bandits is here, and if there is one thing I appreciated from start to end of our premiere episode, it was the gorgeous art direction. Let me stare at those stagecoaches some more, and sit inside with our characters and weather some sandstorms! But what our drama had in spades (art direction, cinematography, etc.) it lacked in any actual grounded emotion, as it relies on a lot of “telling” to introduce our hero and get us acquainted.

We first meet LEE YOON (Kim Nam-gil) when he’s in a drunken and depressed haze. But lo, news comes that the mysterious person he’s been looking for has finally been located. Suddenly, his torpor gives way to action, and he’s ready to leave town, and he’ll bust his way out if he has to. And he kinda does, because his “friend” — a.k.a. the man who once owned him, and with whom he’s served in the Japanese military — is fuming mad that he wants to move on. This chingu is LEE KWANG-IL (Lee Hyun-wook), and his rage against Yoon is only just beginning. Because why be bad when you can be Bad with a capital B?

Before Yoon leaves town, he says a silent goodbye from the street, gazing up into a window where we see a yet-unnamed woman (Seohyun). With heartbreak and longing in his eyes (gah, Kim Nam-gil, stop doing that to me!) we can tell he was once in love with her (eh, and still is), but things didn’t go as planned. Which is pretty much our hero’s entire life experience, as we’ll come to learn. He’s carrying a heavy burden of guilt and self-hate, but we first have to follow him to a settlement in Gando (a.k.a. Jiandao) to get any answers.

It’s here we meet the illustrious KIM SUN-BOK (the delightful Cha Chung-hwa) who is like an older sister to him. They were once serfs together (*waves at Kwang-il*), but now Sun-bok is a wealthy arms dealer and thus, relatively secure in the lawlessness that is life in Gando and the settlement city of Myeongjeong.

But Yoon isn’t there for Sun-bok — he’s there for a guy named CHOI CHUNG-SOO (Yoo Jae-myung who looks magnificent in a sangtu (topknot)). Chung-soo was once the general of the independence fighters, but is now living in hiding, scraping by with his Joseon cohort.

Up until this point, Yoon has done a whole lot of looking miserable and guilty, and we finally learn that in his duties with Kwang-il in the Imperial army, he was responsible for the slaughter of the freedom fighters and their families. And he’s been living in misery for those actions ever since. Of course, the story would be too simple if Chung-soo just killed him with his bow and arrow in retribution after Yoon confesses this fact, so instead, he tells him to suffer and live. Which is rather what they’re all doing. Eventually, as the episode ends with a surge of the plot to come, the two plan to gather all the desperate Joseon men from those parts and form a bandit group to fight back against the brutality.

It’s all well and good — beautifully shot and beautifully acted — but it’s so strangely hard to connect with emotionally. I know that Yoon is suffering greatly, but seeing the slaughter via flashback (omg those bayonets) is graphic, but not at all gripping. I only believe in Yoon’s misery because Kim Nam-gil is expert at carrying his characters’ history around with him, not because the script did a compelling job of articulating said history.

more

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/09/song-of-the-bandits-episode-1-first-impressions/

‘Song of the Bandits’ review: bandits and soldiers are no match for Kim Nam-gil

Netflix’s latest K-drama is thrilling and cinematically stunning, though not very historically accurate

song-of-the-bandits-netflix-696x442.jpg

The beginnings of the 20th century were a tumultuous time for East Asia, but particularly for the Korean Peninsula. Under violent and stringent Japanese colonial rule, many were forced to live in harsh conditions and in constant fear of torture. Many tried to escape in hopes for a better life away from Japan’s oppressive forces, resorting to dangerous escapades toward lawless regions on Chinese land for safety and a sense of autonomy. And in Song of the Bandits, one of those is our main protagonist, Lee Yoon (Kim Nam-gil).

A slave soldier of the Japanese war, Yoon is haunted by the spectre of an incident that took place in Gando, situated somewhere northeast China, but is compelled to head back when he receives an anonymous note about the location of a man he’s looking for. On the way, he reconnects with a fellow former slave, Choi Chung-soo (Yoo Jae-myung), who has since escaped and now makes a living selling guns to anyone who has the money for it. She warns him of the chaos that awaits him in Gando: “Chinese land, Japanese money and Joseon’s people,” with no monarch or governor to reign them in.

As if matters couldn’t be any worse, bandits also terrorise the area – they steal, murder and destroy the innocent townspeople. Yoon, while on his mission to revisit the past traumas of Gando for his personal vendetta, plans to raise an independent army against both the bandits and Japanese soldiers, recruiting skilled fighters and strategists along the way as they plough through throngs of mercenary bandits in an attempt to claim back their freedom.

Song of the Bandits treads the sensitive subject of Korea’s time as a Japanese colony with the immense grace of beautiful cinematography, writing and direction. Although not entirely historically accurate, this K-drama encapsulates not only the human condition of Joseon’s people at the time, but also the multifaceted cultures of 1900s East Asia. The Old West influences are palpable and speak to the growing influence of the West at the time in Asia, while simultaneously harking back to the traditional fighting styles of the region: katanas and classic archery.

Half of the fun on Song of the Bandits is found in its fight sequences, masterfully choreographed by the production team and equally thrilling performances by Kim Nam-gil. His crew of independence fighters also have unique fighting styles and personalised weapons that compliment each other, which makes their battles as a team even more nail-biting to watch. The impeccable cinematography of these sequences do the cast’s performances justice, even if it does sometimes fall back on well-worn tropes of one or two overpowered heroes laying waste to a group of 20 trained killers without breaking a sweat.

It is an emotionally fulfilling series to watch that inspires a critical look back on history and the impact of Japanese colonisation over Joseon, but Song of the Bandits sometimes threatens to spread itself too thin. The fight scenes, as great as they are, can be overly indulgent, like they were included for the sake of giving the fans what they want (Kim Nam-gil being a badass). There are also so many subplots happening at once, with the sheer amount of events interweaving across the series’ wider story feeling too overwhelming to thoroughly follow at times..

more https://www.nme.com/reviews/tv-reviews/song-of-the-bandits-review-3504323

• Like 1