Kim Nam Gil 김남길 ~ An Actors' Actor ~ Upcoming Films : 'The Guardian' | 'Emergency Declaration'

Admin

3 hours ago, qwwwerty said:

Just read about it last night and thought no wonder he was so thin... But then I remember his figure wasn't that stick-thin circa 'No Regrets/Lee Han era'. He was really especially thin after he achieved some fame, post-Bidam era (and then LUTYN era). Also, he's suffering Meniere's disease (not very sure how life-threatening this disease is). 

It's not.  It can just be incredibly debilitating and very unpleasant when you have an episode.  I have Meniere's, it runs in my family.  I thankfully have a very mild case with very few episodes.  I don't know how severe his is, but if the episodes are bad the tinnitus and vertigo can be intense enough that you really feel nauseated.  And it can cause some hearing loss over time. 

It's one of the things that got my attention because I know how that feels.

His writing is so relatable.  His acting is how I found him, but his writing is what I love most.

• Insightful 1

1 hour ago, Robbin Koenig said:

It's not.  It can just be incredibly debilitating and very unpleasant when you have an episode.  I have Meniere's, it runs in my family.  I thankfully have a very mild case with very few episodes.  I don't know how severe his is, but if the episodes are bad the tinnitus and vertigo can be intense enough that you really feel nauseated.  And it can cause some hearing loss over time. 

It's one of the things that got my attention because I know how that feels.

His writing is so relatable.  His acting is how I found him, but his writing is what I love most.

Ooo... wow, that sounds quite bad. And it can cause some hearing loss over time??? Do take care, Ms. Koenig :) I sure hope KNG doesn't drive himself into exhaustion.... so many projects back-to-back!

Yes, his writing is relatable. His way of thinking is kind of 'relatable' as well. He mentioned something about today's education system that's not so right. Was it from Radio Apart X KNG V live or somewhere on Twitter, I can't really remember.

Also, his 'only when you can love and care for yourself that you would able to help others'  message serves as a gentle reminder for myself.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, qwwwerty said:

Ooo... wow, that sounds quite bad. And it can cause some hearing loss over time??? Do take care, Ms. Koenig :) I sure hope KNG doesn't drive himself into exhaustion.... so many projects back-to-back!

It can - but usually only in very bad cases.  My aunt has it quite badly - but she has lived a long otherwise healthy life, so it's not unmanageable.

I worry more about him driving himself too hard - but I also think that's a 40's thing.  You reach an age where you want to cement your legacy while you have time - and actors do have an age threshold where they stop getting lead offers.  As young as he looks and with his outlook on life, I don't think that will be a problem for a while, but it can feel like it is when you are living at that age.

Even if he is not seeing anyone, he has a strong network of good friends - and I think that will keep him healthy.  Some of the happiest and most productive times of my life were when I was single. :)

• Like 2

On 3/17/2022 at 6:22 AM, Robbin Koenig said:

It can - but usually only in very bad cases.  My aunt has it quite badly - but she has lived a long otherwise healthy life, so it's not unmanageable.

I worry more about him driving himself too hard - but I also think that's a 40's thing.  You reach an age where you want to cement your legacy while you have time - and actors do have an age threshold where they stop getting lead offers.  As young as he looks and with his outlook on life, I don't think that will be a problem for a while, but it can feel like it is when you are living at that age.

Even if he is not seeing anyone, he has a strong network of good friends - and I think that will keep him healthy.  Some of the happiest and most productive times of my life were when I was single. :)

Good to know it's not unmanageable :) 

Yeah, you are right about actors having an age threshold. Unless they are character actors. But how many true character actors are superstars too? As I mentioned before, KNG is pretty ambitious, despite his laid-back nature. Which is why I really hope he'll focus on films soon since films are more likely to 'cement' the type of legacy he wants, rather than drama series. He's one of the few Korean actors I really think have the potential to be 'great', if only he could choose the right director/project. Drama series, to me, are mostly based on trends. Is 'Squid Game' as good as 'Rashomon' or 'Woman in the Dunes' or 'The Searchers'? In my opinion, no it's not. Of course, it's unfair to compare like that. Lol. How can I compare any classic films to a 21st century series? Yeah, I know. It also depends on an individual's taste. Art houses are not for the mainstream. Everybody only wants to be entertained. However, what about those who want to watch more complicated stuff?  I also understand the line between film and television production is getting blurry (all thanks to Netflix/streaming platform!). But if the public want to think of 'great' actors' projects, they will think of movies, instead of series. Of course that's just my opinion and I may be wrong. I'm just too old-school...  

Haha, yes. Keeping good company is a good way to stay healthy mentally. I find that very true as well. :)  

• Awesome 2

You will remember I mentioned that I am older than KNG.  Well, I just had a glass of cold water thrown on all my fantasies.  

I am good friends with a Korean guy who is just a few months older than KNG.  Well, the other day, he started calling me 누나.  Half of me felt very warm inside and half of me started crying.  :heartbreak:.

• LOL 2

3 hours ago, Robbin Koenig said:

You will remember I mentioned that I am older than KNG.  Well, I just had a glass of cold water thrown on all my fantasies.  

I am good friends with a Korean guy who is just a few months older than KNG.  Well, the other day, he started calling me 누나.  Half of me felt very warm inside and half of me started crying.  :heartbreak:.

Let me splash some more of it, KNG addresses his female fans as omma and male fans as appa because he considers his fans as one big family lol :P

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, DrBooger said:

Let me splash some more of it, KNG addresses his female fans as omma and male fans as appa because he considers his fans as one big family lol :P

AAAAAAHHH!

At least it wasn't 아줌마.  Then I would have really felt old.

• LOL 2

On 3/21/2022 at 6:51 AM, Robbin Koenig said:

I am good friends with a Korean guy who is just a few months older than KNG.  Well, the other day, he started calling me 누나.  Half of me felt very warm inside and half of me started crying.  

ㅋㅋ. You must keep this in mind: KNG *loves* 누나 , even if he doesn't talk about that anymore :) 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, qwwwerty said:

ㅋㅋ. You must keep this in mind: KNG *loves* 누나 , even if he doesn't talk about that anymore :) 

As someone who is much younger then him I feel left out :tired: speaking of younger fans have you watched the video of a young fan asking him out? She was so forthright and brave,a whole Mood!The confession literally caught him off guard,he was so flustered and embarrassed about it, I bet he didn't expect to have a young fan following *Kim Nam Gil nim we exist too:phew:* this video will never not be funny

• Love 1
  • Awesome 1

5 hours ago, DrBooger said:

As someone who is much younger then him I feel left out :tired: speaking of younger fans have you watched the video of a young fan asking him out? She was so forthright and brave,a whole Mood!The confession literally caught him off guard,he was so flustered and embarrassed about it, I bet he didn't expect to have a young fan following *Kim Nam Gil nim we exist too:phew:* this video will never not be funny

Haha. He's so awkward with the fan's confession. Of course he *knows* you young ladies exist out there, hehe. I really don't believe he doesn't know :D 

Edited by gm4queen
Please don't quote videos! Thanks!
  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1

14 hours ago, qwwwerty said:

Haha. He's so awkward with the fan's confession. Of course he *knows* you young ladies exist out there, hehe. I really don't believe he doesn't know :D 

I think he still gets embarrassed when women in general tell him how hot he is.  But that's just part of his 한자.

20 hours ago, qwwwerty said:

My Korean guy told me that I was beautiful and in the same breath said I was aging well.  :lol:

I just don't think he has quite figured out this compliment thing yet.

• LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

32 minutes ago, Robbin Koenig said:

My Korean guy told me that I was beautiful and in the same breath said I was aging well.  :lol:

That's really sweet and nice of him :) 

33 minutes ago, Robbin Koenig said:

I think he still gets embarrassed when women in general tell him how hot he is.  But that's just part of his 한자.

Reminds me of this :lol::

• LOL 2

On 3/22/2022 at 1:12 AM, DrBooger said:

As someone who is much younger then him I feel left out :tired: speaking of younger fans have you watched the video of a young fan asking him out? She was so forthright and brave,a whole Mood!The confession literally caught him off guard,he was so flustered and embarrassed about it, I bet he didn't expect to have a young fan following *Kim Nam Gil nim we exist too:phew:

The good news is that he will almost certainly marry someone younger.  Biologically speaking the clock is against us old 누나. :lol:

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, Robbin Koenig said:

The good news is that he will almost certainly marry someone younger.  Biologically speaking the clock is against us old 누나.

He he the young ones have a shot huh? Not me deluding myself into even thinking that i stand a chance:ph34r:  I just hope he doesnt remain an eligible bachelor for the rest of his life :( his peers like Jung Woo Sung, Ha Jung Woo etc are surely headed that way! His "Memoir of a Murderer" co actor (Hwang Seok-jeong) revealed that she told Namgil he needs to spread his seed since she was so impressed by his qualities,that she thinks the country would benefit from having little Namgil's and ma'am I am so with you on this!

• Love 2

2 hours ago, DrBooger said:

He he the young ones have a shot huh? Not me deluding myself into even thinking that i stand a chance:ph34r:  I just hope he doesnt remain an eligible bachelor for the rest of his life :( his peers like Jung Woo Sung, Ha Jung Woo etc are surely headed that way! His "Memoir of a Murderer" co actor (Hwang Seok-jeong) revealed that she told Namgil he needs to spread his seed since she was so impressed by his qualities,that she thinks the country would benefit from having little Namgil's and ma'am I am so with you on this!

Maybe he considers his NGO his 'child'.  Although I could see it happening, it would be a shame if he remained childless.  He has such a warm loving heart.

I don't get this vibe from some of the other older bachelors.

• Love 2

13 hours ago, DrBooger said:

I just hope he doesnt remain an eligible bachelor for the rest of his life :(

Happily single celebrities often amaze me. There's nothing wrong being single, of course. But if I were someone as *successful* as Kim Nam Gil or Cho Seung Woo, I don't think I would want to *stay* single. I would try to go out and date people with similar mindsets, values and interests/hobbies (wouldn't it be easier to meet other people because you're successful and rich? Lols. That's just my shallow thinking). Maybe it's really hard to meet somebody trustworthy/dependable when you achieve success in life? I don't know. I'm not them, lols.  

• Awesome 2

3 hours ago, qwwwerty said:

Happily single celebrities often amaze me. There's nothing wrong being single, of course. But if I were someone as *successful* as Kim Nam Gil or Cho Seung Woo, I don't think I would want to *stay* single. I would try to go out and date people with similar mindsets, values and interests/hobbies (wouldn't it be easier to meet other people because you're successful and rich? Lols. That's just my shallow thinking). Maybe it's really hard to meet somebody trustworthy/dependable when you achieve success in life? I don't know. I'm not them, lols.  

He he I don't think its shallow, you are speaking facts! We are talking about fully grown men who are in their 40s add to that succesful, rich and some of the best looking men, an average joes options pales in comparison to the ones they have before them to choose from, the nature of their job and just the industry they are part off gives them that exposure to meet some of the most gorgeous women on an every day basis, they must be many throwing themselves at them too (goes both ways) I am pretty sure they are clapping some a... on the side(because if some of them aren't, they are SAINTS for sure):yum: so I guess that way appetite's are met? Hence they are not in a real hurry to fully settle down? But I totally get what you are saying,trying to find an emotional connection is something very human its what we seek for while forming a relationship! I am of the view that its the latter, it is hard to be able to find all those qualities while being a public figure and worse if the other party isn't one it makes it 100X more harder since there is always an issue with trust, jealousy, doubt,insecurity etc which tend to creep in as their job needs them to be out on the road frequently and I think thats why KNG gave a reality check to his fans to remove those rose tinted glasses and see for what it really is, its a lonely job and for a non celeb partner to put up with it while being a considerate companion must be really exhausting, kudos to the ones who are doing it though they must really love them alot and I think thats the reason most of them tie the knot with someone from the industry? They not only share similar jobs but possibly similar interests and they have that level of understanding which means better communication since they are both aware of the demands which come with the job!

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, DrBooger said:

He he I don't think its shallow, you are speaking facts! We are talking about fully grown men who are in their 40s add to that succesful, rich and some of the best looking men, an average joes options pales in comparison to the ones they have before them to choose from, the nature of their job and just the industry they are part off gives them that exposure to meet some of the most gorgeous women on an every day basis, they must be many throwing themselves at them too (goes both ways) I am pretty sure they are clapping some a... on the side(because if some of them aren't, they are SAINTS for sure):yum: so I guess that way appetite's are met? Hence they are not in a real hurry to fully settle down? But I totally get what you are saying,trying to find an emotional connection is something very human its what we seek for while forming a relationship! I am of the view that its the latter, it is hard to be able to find all those qualities while being a public figure and worse if the other party isn't one it makes it 100X more harder since there is always an issue with trust, jealousy, doubt,insecurity etc which tend to creep in as their job needs them to be out on the road frequently and I think thats why KNG gave a reality check to his fans to remove those rose tinted glasses and see for what it really is, its a lonely job and for a non celeb partner to put up with it while being a considerate companion must be really exhausting, kudos to the ones who are doing it though they must really love them alot and I think thats the reason most of them tie the knot with someone from the industry? They not only share similar jobs but possibly similar interests and they have that level of understanding which means better communication since they are both aware of the demands which come with the job!

Exactly, my dongsaeng! I don't think men can resist *ehem* temptation very well, j/k.

Yes, it must be a lonely job, but so are some professional jobs out there, say writers, journalists, lawyers... even doctors. I try not to compare 20th Century to 21st Century, but as a kid growing up during 90s, I really miss the times where handphones, online group chats and social media weren't 'necessities'. Time now passes as fast as fast fashion. Materialism equates life satisfaction, but it's actually making us more unhappy. At the same time, we are addicted to the things that make us happy. We tell ourselves that we crave for connection but we don't necessarily make the first move. We are overly judgmental; we are less kinder to people who are not similar to us. We are both richer and sadder than our grandparents. Life this century seems more ironic somehow.  Sigh.

• Sad 1