[drama 2007] White Tower [ 하얀 거탑]

shirley

Guest dramaok

There's White Tower, Surgeon Bong Dal Hee, and I know of General Hospital coming sometime this year. I wonder what the 4th is.. :unsure:

i think the 4th one is '이발사 - barber' by lee jae-gyu pd. (of 'damo' and 'fashion 70s')

....without fear or death..for a friend like you.....I believe to Dr Jang...Dr Choi's not just his one true friend but also his outlet of being his true self...and not worry of being judged or not...he can relax and be himself - all his *good* and *bad* combined.

Cheers, E

yes dr. jang and dr. choi are opposites in many ways, as they see the world so differenty, but in the same vein they flush out each other's self-understanding and imperfections as well.

i think dr. jang said that to dr. choi as an insult... as much as a passionate commitment.

hehe dramaok.. thank you for sharing dr. choi *hic hic* feel much better already :D so whos this actress he is dating! luckyy person who gets to hear his voice dailyyy

전혜진 (jeon hye-jin) there are 3 actresses by the same name, but this is the one he's dating. (they went public in 2006).

20061107111400302b6_0.jpg

9420061025_27761762.jpg

he is 31 and she is 30.

they were in a movie together.

yes i've been stalking him too. :ph34r:

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TheProfessor

전혜진 (jeon hye-jin) there are 3 actresses by the same name, but this is the one he's dating. (they went public in 2006).

9420061025_27761762.jpg

dr choi is taken both in drama and in real life ..~ ..~ !~what other dramas did lee seon-gyeon do ..? really never see him around before ..how to miss such a *voice* .

but i do love dr jang voice too ..such power when he speak his lines.~~

================================

AND...I thought the 1966 Movie was better than the J-Drama from a couple of years ago...

Nice Drama and Storyline with a dose of reality...Sometimes it is who you know or are politically connected (business wise) than the ability you possess to do a job...

I hope the K-drama is up to the previous shows!

ah u watch the movie version ^ .i trying to get a copy of it .

this i feel . is a remake that can stand on it own merits i am sensing from the flow of the drama till now ...and hope this continue on ..^^.with this solid main cast it should be heading that way ..unless something went horribly wrong on the way

dr. jang's father in law, dr. min wants to bribe pathologist doc, dr. oh kyeong-hwan.

jang: no that can't do father, it's impossible..

min: but i think it's a question of how many zeros...

jang: that doesn't work on dr. oh.. it will rather backfire..

min: it's scary isn't it? hehehe

sometimes i get the impression his father in law and that dr min get so excited when they speak of all these stuff --;;like they enjoy this game so much ..

i think dr jang eyes were opened by them on how much you can make others follow your will as long as you have enough temptation or know their weakness enough ..

but dr oh ...nay he dun seem like the sort ..dr jang must be really quite desperated to go to dr choi to asked in such a manner ..~! ..he get so worked up .probably think he will help ..just a dinner but dr choi never even give him this small flavour ..

ya his last comment to him ....was more like a defintion to dr choi ." this is what a friend shuold have done which u never did last night when i asked .."

ah the esp 5 operation was really something ..lol to me as it look quite professional ...it even has diagram and commentary .and the entire hospital watching this *mega* operation .~~ i enjoyed how the rivlary between the two men was played out ..~!~ .

*in esp 6 ..sigh so sad to see jinjoo in such a state and asking dr choi to please save her ..[ the kid head really looked like it was realy shaved off ..]

er what was the entire thing going on in the committee meeting .....seeem dr oh give a strong lecture and message to the rest ...~~!

If I'm not mistaken this Korean version plays up the rivalry between Dr Jang and Dr Noh more prominently whereas the japanese version, it was not that so? But from what I've read from you guys, this rivalry is playing it up quite nicely...wah...chingu has downloaded the drama..but both of us can't understand a twit of Korean, no subs and all...but she sms me and was drooling on Kim Myung Min's voice!!! *Swoons in bimboticness* aiggooo!

I wonder who will play (or already in the picture?) the reclusive doctor who would be the *judge* to the later "trial" he was that thin white haired man in the J version who was ever so respected by EVERYONE in the hospital....

ya it does plays up the competition between dr jang and dr noh.~ more stronger then in jversion .^ .but it sort of also downplay the mistress of dr jang role in here ...but the wife now sort of met the mistress in the pub .. but i dun think she realise her husband is having an affair yet

the professor you asked .is it the hermit professor who come out of his lab for the voting meeting ? ^

lol ... wowie ... rbeach is TheProfessor in disguise now? i thought his posting sounded familiar but this confirmed it.

sorry for going off topic but i can't resist.

*sigh* ... i really wanted to watch this drama but unfortunately my connection sucks these days and it would take ages to download 700mb files. oh well guess i'll keep my fingers crossed it'll get picked up by some subbing group eventually or wait for it to be released with chinese subs on dvd/vcds. the castings are just gorgeous and i think it's the first time i've seen lee seon-gyeon in such a major role? i love the japanese version ... and shirley has convinced me this version rocks too ... not to mention the campers in this thread are such avid kdrama fans ... haha ... argggh ... i hate my service provider.

cutie~ i will pray for your connection ^^ .to speed up

=

i think they going to export this back to japan ...seem like japan TV station going to boardcast it once it fin in korea ^^

한국판 ‘하얀거탑’ 원산지 일본에 역수출, 일본 후지TV 방송 확정

20070125092420.199.0.jpg

일본 인기드라마 ‘하얀 거탑’을 리메이크한 MBC 주말 드라마 ‘하얀거탑’이 원산지 일본에 역수출된다.

‘하얀거탑’제작사 측은 24일 “‘하얀거탑’의 우선 방영권이 일본 후지TV에 선판매됐다”고 밝혔다.

‘하얀거탑’은 일본 야마자키 도요코가 쓴 ‘백색 거탑’(1968년 작)이란 이름의 원작소설을 1978년 후지 TV에서 드라마로 방영, 선풍적인 인기를 얻은 작품. 일본 드라마로는 이례적으로 22부작으로 리메이크 제작돼 2003년 후지 TV에서 또 다시 방영됐다. 2004년 일본TV드라마 아카데미 작품상, 감독상을 수상했다.

김명민, 이선균, 차인표 등이 주연을 맡은 한국판 ‘하얀거탑’은 일본판 ‘하얀거탑’에 절대 뒤지지 않는다는 평. 일본판 ‘하얀거탑’을 먼저 본 시청자들은 긴장감 넘치는 빠른 전개와 소름 끼칠 정도로 완벽한 연기를 높이 사며 한국판 ‘하얀거탑’의 손을 들어주고 있다. 특히 원작에 없는 수술 배틀신 등 새로운 장면이 추가돼 일본 현지 시청자들이 이를 어떻게 받아들일지 궁금증을 자아낸다.

일본에 수출되는 한국판 ‘하얀거탑’은 한국에서 드라마가 종영되는 대로 방영시기가 결정될 예정이다

Guest dramaok

lee seon-gyun previous drama roles

(thumbnail pics, click to enlarge. pic credit: yahoo kr):

2005 mbc 'tae reung athletics village'

viewimage9ua9am.th.jpg

2005 kbs 'loveholic':

429d3d4d675305ip.th.jpg

429d3d4d675317qf.th.jpg

2006 kbs 'fugitive lee du-yong'

a420060928273398048cv.th.jpg

e720060929273656722eg.th.jpg

er what was the entire thing going on in the committee meeting .....seeem dr oh give a strong lecture and message to the rest ...~~!

in that meeting they nominated dr. jang, dr. noh, and dr. moon (who was sent to branch hospital) as top 3 candidates for surgery chief.

Guest TheProfessor

dr choi is taken both

================================

ah u watch the movie version ^ .i trying to get a copy of it .

this i feel . is a remake that can stand on it own merits i am sensing from the flow of the drama till now ...and hope this continue on ..^^.with this solid main cast it should be heading that way ..unless something went horribly wrong on the way

i think they going to export this back to japan ...seem like japan TV station going to boardcast it once it fin in korea ^^

Yes..if you get a chance watch the Movie Version...Loved the ending..similiar to the TV Drama but only 2 hours long so some of it is condensed and Movie was made in 1966 so the affair was minimized etc...

SURPRISED..it will go to Japan...I know Japanese is showing less K-Drama for various reasons...

Hi TheProfessor! My apologies, I just saw your question on whether the K Version coming to be as good as the J Version! Well, I would not be in a very good position to answer that as I've yet to watch any episode of the K Version Aigooooo! No subs lah. BUT I might just go TURKEY and watch it as it is (in Korean) and let 99.9 of the conversation fly pass me and rely on the brilliant acting of the cast and work of the PD, crew to relay the drama to me AND rely on this thread's ardent fans pics/notes/trans to bring me through!!! Any wild chance you are Korean and can do fab and fast translations on the spot and so helpless people like me can lap up the true essence of the drama right with everyone else on cue?!!!! We had one such person on the LOVERS thread, her name is Soonjap...so those not in sync with the current showing in Korea could really follow the drama so up-to-dately! And there as AUSSIE who gave summary right after each episode! Over here, thank god we have Dramaok, Shirley, Jahye and Bellaangel etc......BUT READING AND SEEING CLIPS AND PICS. posted by many here, the Korean version does seem doing VERY well...*CHUTHA*!

ya it does plays up the competition between dr jang and dr noh.~ more stronger then in jversion .^ .but it sort of also downplay the mistress of dr jang role in here ...but the wife now sort of met the mistress in the pub .. but i dun think she realise her husband is having an affair yet

the professor you asked .is it the hermit professor who come out of his lab for the voting meeting ? ^

Ya Shirley, that hermit professor, he came out in the picture yet? Heyyyyyyy they played down the mistress? I MUST SAY I AM EXTREMELY HAPPY ON THIS FRONT! OK, I am the type want my man KMM / Dr Jang to be good husband type lah, typical hoh, ka!ka!....But in the J version, the mistress sure was ONE to watch, I almost admired her....she wasn't malicious, evil, baddie wanton - she was ambitious for her man, daring, and she connived with him to her best of her capabilities (which was plenty as she was a really clever lady) support him in his quest for Top Surgeon Professorhood in the hospital. In the J version as well, if I remember correctly, the two ladies did not hate each other nor was there any heated rivalry between them eventhough they knew of each others existence, like they tolerated one another and it was as though in Japan, having one's husband having a mistress seemed.?!?..normal.?!?..(that's what I recollected...aiyoo been a while, hope I didn't get that wrong!)......I somehow hope the Korean Version would have the wife play the bigger part and he ditches the mistress somewhatly in the end?? Cliche? Aiya, bring on Cliche for me in this respect, I sure don't mind!! ha!ha!

P/S Shirly - Mama Mia, I LOVEEEEEEEEE the latest pic you posted of KMM! *PALI CLICKS & SAVES* Thanks!

Hi Dramaok...DITTO on what you said:

yes dr. jang and dr. choi are opposites in many ways, as they see the world so differenty, but in the same vein they flush out each other's self-understanding and imperfections as well.

i think dr. jang said that to dr. choi as an insult... as much as a passionate commitment.

Loved esp. what you said on Dr Jang said it as much as an insult and a passionate commitment...mayhap also a pledge or vow eh?...yeah Dr Jang's one magnificient ambitious guy that tries to submerge/bury his conscience...with alarming rate of success so far, aiya!

No wonder, I didn't click the *enable email notification of replies box* so was not informed when you gals wrote something....talk soon, Cheers, E

Guest TheProfessor

Hi TheProfessor! My apologies, I just saw your question on whether the K Version coming to be as good as the J Version! Well, I would not be in a very good position to answer that as I've yet to watch any episode of the K Version Aigooooo! No subs lah. BUT I might just go TURKEY and watch it as it is (in Korean) and let 99.9 of the conversation fly pass me and rely on the brilliant acting of the cast and work of the PD, crew to relay the drama to me AND rely on this thread's ardent fans pics/notes/trans to bring me through!!! Any wild chance you are Korean and can do fab and fast translations on the spot and so helpless people like me can lap up the true essence of the drama right with everyone else on cue?!!!!

Hi E...I APOLOGIZE but I can NOT offer any translation as I am not Korean nor do I speak the language. I am among those on the board who owe a THANKS to those who do the translations.

lee seon-gyeon previous drama roles

2005 kbs 'loveholic':

thanks for the info..oh he was in loveholic :blink:

Ya Shirley, that hermit professor, he came out in the picture yet?

oh ^^ here he is no longer such a hermit white haired professor .but equally impt role ^^

i took what dramaok posted before here

oh1kt1.jpg

professor/dr. oh kyeong-hwan (professor of pathology and forensics) played wonderfully by BYUN Hee-bong

esp 7 preview

http://swf.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/whitepo...2/preview_7.swf

=================

2007년 1월 27일 (토) 11:41 스포츠서울

[Zoom EPISODE] 수술용 마네킨은 2500만원

20070127114405.928.0.jpg

[스포츠서울닷컴 | 김용덕기자] '명인대학교병원'을 가기 위해 지난 20일 경기도 서이천 톨게이트를 지났다. MBC 메디컬드라마 '하얀거탑'의 촬영세트는 500여평의 부지에 종합병원을 완벽하게 재연해 놓았다고 해서 진작부터 화제가 된 곳. 소문대로 세트장에 들어설 때부터 웅장하다는 느낌이 한방에 밀려왔다. 공장을 개조해 만든 탓인지 아니면 피를 볼 수밖에 없는 수술장면이 떠올라서인지 등골도 조금 오싹해졌다. 이제부터 현장에서만 볼 수 있는 '명인대학교병원에서 생긴 일' 속으로 들어가보자.

2대의 카메라로 잡아내는 감정연기

먼저 현장에서 목격한 드라마 내용을 천기누설하자면 주인공 장준혁(김명민)은 드디어 외과과장을 차지한다. 밀실과도 같은 우용길(김창완) 부원장실에서 두 사람은 승리를 자축하며 밀담과도 같은 대화를 주고 받고 있었다. 특이한 점은 '하얀거탑'의 현장은 다른 드라마 촬영장과 달리 2대의 카메라가 동시에 돌고 있었다는 것.

제작진들에게 귀동냥을 하자니 배우들의 감정연기를 흐트려뜨리지 않고 그대로 이어가기 위해서라고 한다. 보통 드라마에서 대화장면을 찍을 땐 한대의 카메라로 방향만 바꿔 같은 장면을 반복해 촬영하기 마련. 하지만 '하얀거탑'에서는 두 사람의 대화를 한번에 따내고 있었다. 연기가 아니라 진짜 대화처럼 보이는 비밀이 여기에 숨어 있었던 것이다.

수술대 누운 송선미 환자마네킨 착각?

2,500만원에 이른다는 수술용 환자마네킨은 진짜 사람 같아서 제작진조차도 처음 봤을 때 놀라움을 감추지 못했다고 한다. 눈으로 직접 목격한 기자 역시 기겁을 할 정도로 수술실 환자마네킨은 정교하게 만들어져 있었다. 때문에 웃지 못할 해프닝도 벌어지고 말았다는데 이른바 '송선미 더미 사건'이다.

송선미의 수술장면 촬영이 있던 날. 송선미는 수술대에 누워 긴장된 상태로 초초하게 촬영을 기다리고 있었다. 하지만 촬영도 하기 전, 한 스태프가 송선미의 배를 아주 자연스럽게 쓰다듬는 실수를 범했다고 한다. 스태프의 변명은 항상 수술대에 환자마네킨이 누워있어서 송선미라고는 꿈에도 생각 못했다는 것. 어쨌든 송선미조차도 너무 놀라 그 자리에 그냥 누워 있을 수밖에 없었다고 한다.

완벽한 의료장비 진짜 수술도 가능하다?

'하얀거탑'의 수술실은 진짜 의사만 있다면 비상시에 실제 수술이 가능한 곳으로 변신이 가능할 정도라고 한다. 최근 수술실 세트를 찾은 한 의료관계자는 장비들을 보고 "웬만한 수술은 다 여기서 해도 무방할 정도"라고 감탄사를 연발했다고 한다. 그만큼 수술실은 심폐소생기, 마취장비 등 모든 의료장비가 완벽하고 실제 병원에서 사용하는 것들이라고 한다.

'명인대학교병원'를 떠나는 때는 야외촬영 장면이 있을 때뿐. 여의도에서 촬영이 있던 이날은 마침 '하얀거탑'이 방영되는 토요일이었다. 제작진은 추위가 만만치 않은 겨울밤을 밤샘촬영 속에 보내다가도 10시가 다가오자 드라마를 지켜보느라 정신들이 없었다. 지상파 DMB 방송 덕분에 언제 어디서든 모니터링이 가능해진 시대의 촬영장 풍경이었다.

20070127114405.928.1.jpg

20070127114405.928.2.jpg

20070127114405.928.3.jpg

zoom69@sportsseoul.com

- 색깔있는 뉴스 스포츠서울닷컴 (sportsseoul.com)

Copyrights ⓒ 스포츠서울닷컴. 무단 전재 및 재배포 금지 -

http://news.media.daum.net/entertain/broad.../v15528527.html

esp 7~

the voting was done ..and the results was

dr. jang, dr. 11 votes

dr noh 12 votes

dr. moon 7 votes

did dr lee state any reason why he reannounces his vote ..everyone was caught by surprise but i think he has an officail reason as well as an unofficial reason for doing this

but they seem to be waiting for one more doctor to come in to vote ?

but the doctor was on his way and met with a minor car accident .obiviously enginnerred .to delay him no injury just to cause him to be late or something to that effect ..i dun know what going to happen after this round of voting ? will there be another round of voting ?

:ph34r: dr jang was really desperate .why does he need to go to dr noh and even kneeled to beg him him to back out of this ?

ohhhh and dr choi ..i think he cant really control his emotions in the view of how helpless he is to save jinjoo ? because he really break down infront of dr jang ..!~ ..first time i see him lost calm when he is drunk .....

i wondered what he said to dr jang ? did he asked him to operate for jinjoo or something ? ...

====

here esp 8 preview ~

http://swf.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/whitepo...2/preview_8.swf

Guest dramaok

esp 7~

the voting was done ..and the results was

did dr lee state any reason why he reannounces his vote ..everyone was caught by surprise but i think he has an officail reason as well as an unofficial reason for doing this

but they seem to be waiting for one more doctor to come in to vote ?

dr. lee used the 'renouncement' as a 'sympathy move'.. he said since both dr. moon sang kyeong and dr. jang joon hyeok are his students whom he mentored, it would be hard for him to vote for either and it would be hard for him to see one beat the other. at this his intention is to try to get ppl to vote for dr. noh instead... and it seems to have persuaded some undecided votes..

but in order to win you have to win by 2 or more votes, so 11:12 is more like a tie. hence in ep. 8.

they enter another round of vote. just between the two, minus dr. moon this time. but since the missing doc got delayed.

they had to do it on monday.

gkdisrjxkqthegreatwhitexk8.jpg

dr. noh (cha in pyo)

his special guest appearance ends. too bad he has to go. he was pretty promising.

gkdisrjxkqthegreatwhiteqm1.jpg

dr. park

emerges as a hyena in this ep.. he takes from both sides.. money from dr. min/ jang joonhyeok's side.

while a promise of future in academic association from dr. lee/ dr. noh's camp.

both sides wanted him to guarantee the 7 votes that went to dr. moon to be moved to their respective sides.

gkdisrjxkqthegreatwhiteor7.jpg

gkdisrjxkqthegreatwhiteqi5.jpg

YJ: jinjoo must know too.. that you did everything you could for her, and you hurt w/ her... all that.

YJ: i wish there were another person like you, doctor.

choi: ---

YJ: because it's nice to have someone who can hurt with you.

---------

gkdisrjxkqthegreatwhitekq7.jpg

gkdisrjxkqthegreatwhitemy6.jpg

gkdisrjxkqthegreatwhitegb2.jpg

choi: i'm late in my greeting aren't i. congrats.

jang: you mean it right?

choi: hehe...

jang: you'll get to this place too soon. you're plenty qualified.

choi: .. can you take a look at this slide?

jang: so congratulations was just an excuse?

choi: nah.. this patient also seems to have something going on w/ his pancreas.

-----------

i read somewhere that dr. jang

gets testicular cancer towards the end.

did that happen in the japanese version? just curious. thx.

dr. lee used the 'renouncement' as a 'sympathy move'.. he said since both dr. moon sang kyeong and dr. jang joon hyeok are his students whom he mentored, it would be hard for him to vote for either and it would be hard for him to see one beat the other. at this his intention is to try to get ppl to vote for dr. noh instead... and it seems to have persuaded some undecided votes..

but in order to win you have to win by 2 or more votes, so 11:12 is more like a tie. hence in ep. 8.

they enter another round of vote. just between the two, minus dr. moon this time. but since the missing doc got delayed.

they had to do it on monday.

-----------

i read somewhere that dr. jang

gets testicular cancer towards the end.

did that happen in the japanese version? just curious. thx.

thanks for the clarification to esp 7 ^^ so from the sound of it ..esp 8 will close a chapter and we moving forth to the next chapter of white tower .

choi: nah.. this patient also seems to have something going on w/ his pancreas.

this patient ...hm..i think he the key to the next chapter ..

as for your question

yes he suffered from cancer ..but i seem to recall in jversion it is lung cancer ..and by the time it was discovered it was at the last stage of cancer .it was pretty cruel what they attempt to hide from him at the end .. .sigh ...

Thanks Dramaok *Winks*

YJ: jinjoo must know too.. that you did everything you could for her, and you hurt w/ her... all that.

YJ: i wish there were another person like you, doctor.

YJ: because it's nice to have someone who can hurt with you.

.....that last sentence was beautifully said...Oh...I so wished prior to this being filmed that Dr Choi would be single...AIYAH !

To your query dear Dramaok, Shirley has replied ...cruel you said Shirley? ...For me I didn't take it that way, being doctors, they all knew it was a lost cause...and Dr Jang for everything that he was, in the end, everyone actually cared what happens to him, they must have deliberated in their decision ....also I think on top of no one could bring themselves to tell him..I'm thinking they too wanted to imagine it differently/close it off in their minds...for they would be losing a great man - husband, friend, colleague, "TOU TAI"/student...for he is a great man, not a perfect one by any means but a great one.

Thanks Shirley...oh, no hermit dr this time round, I LOVE that guy, he is the HARABOJI in THE HOST, he is one of my top favourite HARABOJIs in K-Entertainment together with the other HARABOJI of Sweet 18 drama. So many Fantastic Harabojis and Grandmas(forgot how to call in Korean!)...I think there is not one that I didn't enjoy their portrayals!

I so like all the camaraderie scenes between Dr Jang & Dr Choi...

Cheers, E

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Medical dramas thrill local TV audience

Historical dramas have ruled TV screens since last year with all three major broadcast stations in Korea rushing to produce epic series. But recently, local TV dramas seem to have found a new flavor. Making a big jump from using stories from ancient eras, TV screens have begun to focus on the lives of professionals living in the present, such as medical doctors.

MBC and SBS each began to air medical dramas earlier this month and the two serial dramas are both topping the viewer ratings chart. This is not the first time mainstream TV channels have produced medical dramas. But the latest trend, the so-called "medical drama boom," clearly shows that viewers are now turning their backs on "palpable" and "conventional" triangle love stories.

200701300027hd4.gif

Kim Myung-min (left) in "Behind the White Tower" [MBC], Lee Yo-won in "Surgeon Bong Dal-hee" [sBS]

"Production companies started to address new subjects. This perhaps shows changes in viewers' preferences, leaning toward new subjects because they are fed up with watching melodramatic stories or comic dramas," a TV critic said. The two medical dramas both tell the stories of struggling surgeons and their isolated daily lives in big hospitals.

MBC's weekend drama "Behind the White Tower" portrays doctors' obsessions with power and success by revealing the brutal power games that unfold at a hospital recognized as the best medical institute in the country. The drama focuses on the story of a brilliant surgeon Chang Jun-hyuck who takes every possible opportunity to achieve his goal of becoming chief surgeon of the prestigious hospital.

Kim Myung-min, hero of the smash-hit KBS drama "Lee Sun-sin," takes the role of Chang, an ambitious and two-faced doctor who eventually loses his fame when he blindly disregards patients because of his obsessive ambitions.

Produced by renowned Kim Jong-hak Productions, known for filming a number of successful TV series, the drama attempts to depict the doctors' lives in a realistic way. It reportedly made a huge investment in building a set that resembles a real operating room complete with medical instruments.

It seems pointless to compare this drama with the medical drama "Surgeon Bong Dal-hee" aired on SBS, because the two take a different approach to telling the story of doctors.

If "Behind the White Tower" tells of a series of bitter power games at the male-dominated hospital, "Surgeon Bong Dalhee" entertains viewers with a softer story of a troublesome female doctor.

Bong Dal-hee is a resident doctor, a native of the remote Ulleung Island, who is making slow progress in becoming a surgeon. Bong struggles with other competent resident doctors but it is her compassionate character that wins patients' hearts. Star actress Lee Yo-won takes the role of the pure and innocent doctor on the drama which airs every Wednesday and Thursday night.

What differentiates this drama is that it contains a triangle love story and comedy, while MBC's "Behind the White Tower" takes a very serious look at power games among medical doctors. "Surgeon Bong Dal-hee" seems a bit like a Cinderella story when watching the troublesome resident doctor loved by two rival doctors, Ahn Jung-geun (played by Lee Bum-soo) and Lee Gun-woo (Kim Min-jun).

Thanks to the medical drama boom, other local TV channels also started to air foreign-made medical dramas such as the smash-hit series "Grey's Anatomy" and "E.R.," the original Japanese version of "White Tower (2003)."

The medical drama boom is likely to continue for the rest of the year as "General Hospital 2" is scheduled to air in March. Some filmmakers are also rushing to make films of medical dramas. "Gidam," a tragic story of doctors in the 1940s when the country was under Japanese colonial rule, featuring versatile actor Kim Tae-woo, is currently in production, sources say.

(christory@heraldm.com)

By Cho Chung-un

Source: The Korea Herald

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/htm...00701310016.asp

i heard there were japanese and taiwan versions of this and now korean. is the taiwan version the one jerry yan as the lead star?

okie ..er the japanese version and the taiwan version share same name but is NOT the same story because it is not adapted from the same book ..and ..yes the taiwan white tower is the one with jerry yan .

Thanks Dramaok *Winks*

.....that last sentence was beautifully said...Oh...I so wished prior to this being filmed that Dr Choi would be single...AIYAH !

To your query dear Dramaok, Shirley has replied ...cruel you said Shirley? ...For me I didn't take it that way, being doctors, they all knew it was a lost cause...and Dr Jang for everything that he was, in the end, everyone actually cared what happens to him, they must have deliberated in their decision ....also I think on top of no one could bring themselves to tell him..I'm thinking they too wanted to imagine it differently/close it off in their minds...for they would be losing a great man - husband, friend, colleague, "TOU TAI"/student...for he is a great man, not a perfect one by any means but a great one.

Thanks Shirley...oh, no hermit dr this time round, I LOVE that guy, he is the HARABOJI in THE HOST, he is one of my top favourite HARABOJIs in K-Entertainment together with the other HARABOJI of Sweet 18 drama. So many Fantastic Harabojis and Grandmas(forgot how to call in Korean!)...I think there is not one that I didn't enjoy their portrayals!

I so like all the camaraderie scenes between Dr Jang & Dr Choi...

Cheers, E

ah i dun know to me i think at the very least they should have the professionlism to tell him

straight what he had . rather then he had to go to satomi and get a honest disgnosis .pretty cruel u open him up ..then realised it was too late stage and NEVER tell him one single thing ..--;;.....anyway he a cancer expert himself ..he should have known

Thanks to the medical drama boom, other local TV channels also started to air foreign-made medical dramas such as the smash-hit series "Grey's Anatomy" and "E.R.," the original Japanese version of "White Tower (2003)."

the jversion showing in korea...and the kversion showing in japan ..~

lol this white tower drama becoming like a cultural exchange for korea and japan ....

here an article that say :

TV DRAMA : White Tower attracting attention from overseas

it sayd Fuji TV is obtaining priority telecast rights to be the first to boardcast White Tower in Japan . and that the original novel writer Toyoko Yamazaki. had seem the drama and commented the drama as an excellent adaption and will like to met Kim myeon min who play the role of Jang joon hyeok

電視劇'白色巨塔',海外受'關注'

[innolife/2007.1.30]

9068_1.jpg

播出中的MBC週末特別企劃電視劇'白色巨塔'(編劇:李基源,導演:安阪錫,製作:金鐘鶴電影公司)也受到海外的高度關心.

30日根據電視劇劇組表示對'白色巨塔'有優先播放權的日本富士電視在播出之後,便要求取得了在日本國內優先播放權.另外,電視劇的原作者山崎豊子在看了電視劇後也大力稱讚道"非常出色的改編","想見一下飾演張俊赫角色的金明敏"成為韓國版'白色巨塔'的熱血粉絲.

除此之外,透過在美國的代理對於播出權及錄影複製權也顯示出關心等,可見電視劇'白色巨塔'的海外反應也慢慢浮出表面了.因此,以日本原作為基礎的韓國電視劇是不是能成功倒引進日本很早就聚集了廣大的關注.

另一方面,'白色巨塔'是根據山崎豊子的同名小說改編,已經透過日本富士電視於78年和2003年,兩次製作成電視劇,並出現了驚人的收視率記錄.

[照片提供]NEWSIS

Guest TheProfessor

here an article that say :

TV DRAMA : White Tower attracting attention from overseas

it sayd Fuji TV is obtaining priority telecast rights to be the first to boardcast White Tower in Japan . and that the original novel writer Toyoko Yamazaki. had seem the drama and commented the drama as an excellent adaption and will like to met Kim myeon min who play the role of Jang joon hyeok

Hi Shirley...It is QUITE Impressive that the Author praised the K-drama version...!

I wonder where the author got the inspiration to write the novel?

Guest dramaok

yes he suffered from cancer ..but i seem to recall in jversion it is lung cancer ..and by the time it was discovered it was at the last stage of cancer .it was pretty cruel what they attempt to hide from him at the end .. .sigh ...

thx. in the jversion. does he

die at the end? then?

-----------

random pics of dr. choi. lee seon gyun. isn't he hot? you know.. the average korean male at first glance. then you realize how playful and smart. and most important of all.. hot generous and kind he is? haha okay i'm not well.. need therapy.. where's cutie..

13cp4.jpg

14aw9.jpg

63415973ao1.jpg

80639596au3.jpg <-- i can almost hear his cute lisp.

12es3.jpg <-- wowsers.

63436386bs4.jpg his girlfriend is so lucky. ><

img credit: hippoo93 @yahoo board

dramaok you are a quite a stalker .~ ^ .

thx. in the jversion. does he

die at the end? then?

-----------

in the end

yes .he died . ..his mentor [aka which will be prof lee in this drama ] was the one who did the operation for him it was at the last stage of cancer there nothing they can do but they did not told him that .he thought it was intial stage of cancer but later feel it doesnt seem right and he went to ...dr satomi [ which will be dr choi in here] .and got an honest diagnosis .. ..and upon his death ...he left a letter behind which details out his own obsevation to cancer research ..

Guest suzziee

Heehee all is good dramaok- I'm drooling too.. and he SO doesn't look ajusshi.. He's just got this boyish appeal mixed with sensible down to earth manliness.. *swoon* My heart broke for him again and again in episode 7 & 8. I think I'm just attracted to good men, like I said earlier on. I confirmed this by watching this episode of YaShimManMan where Go Joowon came out and when he was sharing how he got ditched because he was simply too nice/good a boyfriend.. I was so :tears: haha. Offtopic but... :P

Anyway, I've found a review of eps 1-4 of White Tower done by Mr X, as well as an interview with the actor that plays Dr Jang's supervisor.. enjoy and all credits to Mr X's blog

Review

인간, 참 이상한 종류다. 동물의 왕국에 있어서 적자생존이란 개념은 공평하고 쉬운 게임이었다: 환경에 적응하는 종은 살아남았고, 나머지 종은 결국 멸종했다, 공룡처럼. 한때, 인간의 간섭으로 인해 무섭게 변하는 자연의 법칙이 알아보지 못한 존재가 되기 전에 그 게임은 단지 적응과 자연 도태에 관한 문제였다, 일종의 생물학적인 능력주의. 허나 그 자연의 법칙을 경시할 수 있는 종류가 하나뿐이었다, 인간이라는 동물. 옛날에 그 게임의 법칙은 그저 '환경에 적응해야 살아남을 수 있다'면 인간이 요즘 바로 그 정반대에 집중하고 있다: "환경을 변하면 된다." 새로운 규칙, 새로운 환경이 확립할 만한 우리가 가지는 그 능력은 바로 인간을 밀림의 왕으로 만든 계기가 되었다.

그래도 수천년의 발전 있음에도 결정적인 순간에 인간은 그 근본적인 본능에 빠지게 된다: 두려움, 질투, 이기심. 이들은 인간의 성공 스토리가 숨겼던 이면이다, 수많은 전쟁과 전염병이 고치지 못한 치명적인 결점. 왜 지난 몇 천년 동안 일어났던 여러 놀라운 '기적' 중 그 결점을 없어버릴 계기가 나타나지 않았을까? 생각해보니 그리 힘든 일이 아닌 것 같지만, 갈수록 거의 남극일기의 도달불능 점같은 존재가 되었다. 그래서 인간은 낭만적이면서 비열한 꿈을 꾸기 시작한다: 그 보이지 않은, 도달할 수 없는 거탑의 꼭대기. 이것은 목적지 없는 외출이고, 나침반 없는 항해이며, 어둠 속의 산책이지만 인간은 끝까지 간다. 자기네 끝, 아니면 그 꿈의 끝.

약육강식, 먹느냐 먹히느냐. 정글의 법칙뿐만 아니고, 이 위험한 게임의 법칙이기도 하다. 직업이 뭐든 간에 같은 상황이다: 강한 놈이 살아남는게 아니라, 살아남는 것 그 자체가 인간을 강한 놈으로 만들 수 있는 유일한 계기다. 그래서 살아남는 것이 제일 중요한 원칙이라면 관념, 윤리, 절차가 중요하지 않다, 목적이 항상 수단을 정당화하니까. 하긴, 정치 생활 하면서 선거인한테 관념과 원칙에 집중하는 약속을 하면서 결국 진정한 게임은 권력의 결투일 뿐이다. 환경에 적응할 수 있는 자가 살아남고 (관념을 변하면서, 혹은 새로운 당파를 확립하면서), 원칙만에 집중하는 낭만주의자는 멸종할 수 밖에 없다. 심취된 의사라는 직업은? 그들도 똑같다. 겉만 보면 의사로서 인정과 능력은 제일 중요한 목표겠지만 가운 속의 이 직업의 이면도 있다. 하얀거탑으로 갈 보이지 않은 계단이다.

bscap0021xf8.jpg

엘리트 대학병원 명인 (名人!), 의학의 전쟁터와 다름이 없다. 다만, 의학은 그 전쟁의 원인이 아니라, 권력과 '병원 정치'에 관한 대심이다. 한 쪽에 현상유지파, 반대쪽에 무자비한 야심가 천재 부교수와 그의 충실한 (?) 부하. 명인대 대학병원 과장 이주완은 보수적인 엘리트 의사의 모습이다: 의사 집안의 마지막 흔적이 될 수 있는 자손으로서, 그의 문제는 탑의 꼭대기에 도달하는 것보다 자기네 지위를 끝까지 보호하는 것이다. 하지만 이주완 선생은 중대한 실수를 했다: 대단한 가능성의 후임자를 키우면서 그의 야심적인 이면을 무시해왔으니 이제 그 사자 새끼는 사자굴의 지도자가 될 만한 원수가 되었다. 종이 호랑이된 이주완 선생은 마누라와 동료의 말을 통해 그 변화를 느끼고 있지만 이 상황은 이미 마지막 전투 앞에 서 있다.

60년대에 출판된 원작인데도 아직은 매우 현실적인 면이 가득한 텍스트다, 이 하얀거탑. 이를테면, 이주완 선생의 프로페셔널하면서도 보수적인 모습. 원작에 묘사된 아즈마 선생은 뭣보다 위엄성과 안정성을 강조하는 성향으로서 히포크라테스의 선서가 묘사했던 의사의 이미지에 가까운 케이스였다, 그 의학의 전진보다 의사와 환자의 관계에 집중하는 '올드 스쿨' 의사. 하지만 그것이 가면일 뿐이다: 의사 집안의 아들로도 그렇고, 동료로부터의 압력이나 마누라의 열등감이 가득한 압박 때문에 이선생한테 제일 중요한 것이 현상유지다. 그와 닮은, 그가 키운 후임자로서 처음에는 장준혁 부교수는 완벽한 선택이었지만, 알고 보니 이 젊은이는 자기네 스승과 대선배가 종이 호랑이가 된 것을 벌써 자각했고, 자기네 이익과 권력을 위한 일이라면 은혜를 원수로 갚을 수 있다.

일본판에서 아즈마 역할 맡은 이시자카 코지는 형사물이나 시대극 (예를 들어, 이치카와 콘의 47인의 자객)에서 출연하면서 스타가 되었다가 드라마에서 그의 포스가 여전히 보여주었지만 오히려 이정길이 맡은 이주완은 좀 더 현실적인 캐릭터인 것 같다. 뭣보다 아즈마는 전후 일본영화에서 자주 본 '보수적인 의사'의 모습을 보여주었으니 좋은 연기 있음에도 그리 인상적인 캐릭터가 아니었다. 그 반면 극본의 포스든 이정길의 명연기든 간에 이주완은 정말 빛나는 케이스다. 특히 이 상황을 싸우면서 자기네 딸의 아픈 얼굴을 보면서 갑자기 멋진 사자에서 겁먹은 고양이로 변하는 그 모습은 현실적이면서 인상적이었다.

그럼 올드 앤 뉴의 문제일까? 글쎄다.

bscap0058do1.jpg

갑자기 왜 이주완 선생의 마음이 노민국으로 갔었을까? 그냥 야심가 장준혁의 압박을 수습하려고? 생각해보니 다른 이유도 있다: 이주완에게 있어서 노민국은 대학 후배이기도 하고 (그 반면 장준혁은 명인 출신이다), 정치적으로도 그렇고 특히 개인적으로 장준혁보다 훨씬 효과적인 선택이다. 왜냐고? 벌써 말했듯이 이주완은 전형적인 의사이면서 보수적인 권력자다. 제일 중요한 것이 현상유지니 자기가 확립한 세력구조를 깨지는 요인이 생긴다면 당장 없어버려야 한다. 만약 노민국이 정말 과장이 되었다면 그분이야말로 이주완의 '후임자'가 되었을 것이다, 일종의 프럭시, 명인의 세력구조와 연결된 요인. 그리고, 물론, 노민국의 성공을 통해 자기를 위한 머지 않은 이익이 생길 수 있다, 외과학 회장 (여전히 완소한 박영지 선생)은 퇴직 후에 산재병원 원장 자리를 이미 준비 해놨으니까. '능력이 뛰어난데, 인간이 좀 그렇다'는 이유가 그저 숨김일 뿐이다, 진정한 이유는 바로 자기네 영향, 자기네 권력을 유지하는 것이다.

그래서 그 요소를 강조하려고 하얀거탑은 원작에 없는 수술전쟁이 시작했다. 처음에는 욕 먹을 일이 될 뻔하지만 결국 생각해보니 탁월한 선택이다: 일본판이나 원작에서 키쿠가와 노보루는 그리 중요한 역할이 아니었지만 한국판에서 드라마 초반의 핵심을 좀 더 효과적으로 묘사하려고 시작한 요소인 것 같다. 골육상쟁 게임 속에서 이주완의 프럭시가 된 노민국은 일종의 용병이 되었다: 만약 전쟁터 (수술실)에서 장준혁이 못지 않은 실력이 보여줄 수 있다면 장 교수는 자기가 과장으로 만들 수 있는 유일한 계기를 잃을 수 있다: 바로 천재의 손가락. 그것이 이선생이 이길 수 없는 전쟁이었니 아예 프럭시를 통해 그 벨런스를 회복시키고 싶었다. 그래서 말로만 종이 호랑이 결국 쓰러진다, 결정적인 순간에. 참 대단한 타이밍이다.

사실 한국 병원의 세력구조를 살펴보면 과장은 그리 중대한 자리가 아니다. 허나 이것은 뭣보다 지위 상징을 상기하면서 드라마의 메시지를 전달하기 위한 요소이기도 하다. 1960년대 출판된 원작으로서 하얀거탑은 그때 일본 사회가 강조하던 단체 정신과 달리 일본 의료현실의 자립주의적인 면을 보여주면서 권력의 보이지 않은 이면에 집중했다, 특히 후반에서. 일본에서 한과에 교수가 1명 밖에 없고, 그는 교수뿐만 아니라, 과장까지 맡기 때문에 매우 중요하고 고명한 자리다. 그래서 이같은 자리야말로 그 상아탑, 그 거대한 하얀탑과 같은 존재다. 과장이 되면 명예, 돈, 인정 얻을 수 있으니 이 류의 정치적인 대립은 놀라운 일이 아니다. 근데 안판석 감독과 이기원 작가는 좀 더 한국적인 정서에 집중하고 있다. 예를 들어, 이 드라마에서 맡은 계급의식의 역할.

bscap006728129dg6.jpg

뻔한 멜로 방식과 웃기지 않은 코미디를 제외하면 계급의식은 트렌디 드라마가 언제나 중시하는 라이트 모티프다: 대중성과 시청률은 제일 중요한 것이니 '있는 것들이' 무조건 짐승도 못한 우월감에 빠진 놈으로 묘사해야 한다, 이래서 대중들이 가장 선호하는 것에 영합할 수 있다, 일종의 최소 공분모 신드롬. 사실 이 4회를 보면서 그 부분에 대해 좀 걱정했다, 겉만 보면 이 드라마가 묘사하는 계급의식은 트렌디 드라마의 전형적인 요소와 다름이 없으니까. 하지만 좀 더 깊이 살펴보면 흥미로운 힌트가 나타날 수 있다. 가장 뻔한 계급의식의 케이스는 물론 이 드라마의 부인이다. 일본판에서 부인의 역할은 남편 (의사)의 정치적인 대립을 반영하기 위해 나타난 요소였다면 하얀거탑에서 뭣보다 대립을 때문에 남성 캐릭터 (남편)가 숨기고 있는 성향을 좀 더 잘 보여주려고 탄생한 캐릭터인 것 같다.

예를 들어, 이주완의 부인은 뻔한 열등감 케이스다, 자기네 지위를 놓치지 싫은 보수적인 성향. 남편은 게임의 법칙에 집중하면서 (쓰러지면서 쌩쇼를 할때, 무대 뒤에서 상황을 조작할때) 본 모습을 쉽게 보여주지 않지만 그의 부인은 그냥 트렌디 드라마에서 자주 본 전형적인 '미친 부자 아줌마'다. 갑자기 잘난 노민국이 나타나서 딸내미를 위한 완벽한 신랑감이라고 생각하고, 딸의 '쓸데 없는' 봉사활동을 보면서 불만이 많은 스타일이다. 그래서 부인이 이 일에 접근하는 모습은 뻔하지만 남편의 속셈은 잘 보여준 또 다른 프럭시이기도 하다. 장준혁의 부인? 또 다른 지위 상징이다, 귀엽고, 순진하며, 부자 의사 집안의 '대디 리틀 걸' 유형, 장교수한테 그저 안정성을 보여줄 수 있는 계기. 나이 차이일까? 자이젠 쿄코는 30대 중반이었으니 부성실하면서 좀 더 색시한 이미지 가지고 있었지만 이 드라마에서 임성언은 여전히 귀여운 고양이일 뿐이다. 우용길의 부인같은 경우에는 남편처럼 친군한 분위기 때문에 쉽게 배신 당할 수 있는 타입인 것 같다, 다만 케이그보다 사모님은 그림을 좋아한다. 그것도 트렁크에 맞을까?

강희재는 다른 길을 따라가는 캐릭터다. 부인이 안정성을 위한 귀여운 핑계라면 강희재는 장교수한테 애인이고, 친구이면서 모(母) 이미지에 가까운 사람이다, 그의 마음을 이해할 수 있는 유일한 케이스. 그런 면에서 그 '여인의 트로이카'를 통해 이 드라마는 장준혁의 속셈 (권력과 야망, 부인), 갈등 (외로움과 답답함, 강희재)과 결정적인 본색 (자수성가 유형의 결심과 두려움, 어머니)을 보여주고 있다. 준혁은 'Self Made Man'이니 그 자리를 보호하기보다 계속 좋아지는 자리를 원한다, 다시 그 상황에 (가난) 빠지고 싶지 않으니까. 일본판에서 이것은 그냥 디테일이었지만 한국판에서 계급의식뿐만 아니라, 효자와 자수성가 신드롬도 매우 중요하다. 이 상황 때문에 눈물을 흐르는 장준혁은 정말 인상깊은 모습이었다. 특히 갈수록, 장교수가 그 게임에서 벗어나면서 '벌' 받을때 이 순간은 정말 중요한 역할을 맡을 거라고 생각한다.

bscap0032jd1.jpg

사실 자수성가 유형은 첫사랑때도 전형이었지만 이것이 그 류의 단순한 캐릭터가 아니다. 예를 들어, 첫사랑에서 배용준의 캐릭터는 불량학생이었다가 갑자기 정신 차리고 다시 공부를 시작하면서 결국 서울대 법대생이 되었다, 그의 유일한 문제는 가난과 계급의식이 만든 지위. 하지만 장준혁은 천재 외과의사가 되었지만 이 게임의 법칙을 모르고 있었으니 처음에 많은 실수를 한다. 설마 우용길같은 뇌물박사가 그 뻔한 덫에 걸리겠느냐? 그게 바로 문제다: 일본판이 야심가와 이상가의 대립에 집중했지만 뭣보다 이 한국판은 지금 이 현실에 그 두 유형이 어떻게 자기네 길을 찾아갈 수 있는지, 어디까지 타협할 수 있는지, 게임이 만든 법칙이 어떻게 사람을 변할 수 있는지에 집중하고 있으니 그런 면에서 원작보다 공감할 수 있는 텍스트다. 일본판보다 현실적인 드라마라고 할 수 있을까? 글쎄. 그거보다 한국 정서와 잘 맞는, 원작의 핵심을 가지고 좀 더 한국에 어울리는 드라마라고 할 수 있다, 분명히.

일본판 보면서 소재의 고전적인 스토리텔링 퀄리티와 신선한 분위기가 느낄 수 있었고, 스토리의 메시지에 집중하는 흐름과 연출도 인상적이었다. 그 반면 한국판에서 캐릭터 좀 더 현실적이고 인상이 깊은 카리스마가 있으며, 연기자 좀 더 잘 하고 있으며, 대사빨과 극의 임팩트가 더 강하니 나같은 시청자에 있어서 (스토리의 의미와 연출의 탄탄함보다 앙상블 연기의 연극적 인터플래이와 엄청난 카리스마의 캐릭터에 집중하는 유형) 한국판 하얀거탑은 좀 더 매력적인 드라마가 될 수 있다. 이 4회를 동안 너무 과장되고 뻔한 음악 제외하면 (부활과 나는 달린다에서 벌써 들었던 음악도 있었다) 결정적인 문제가 발생하지 않았고, 극의 흐름과 대단한 캐스팅의 포스를 통해 오랜만에 현대극에 빠졌다. 그 거탑의 꼭대기는 아직은 먼 곳이지만 계속 이 길로 따라가길 바란다. 적어도 이 상황에서 어느 정도의 끝이 있으니까...

bscap0001em7.jpg

Interview

INTERVIEW] “연기는 대본에서 보이지 않는 음표를 찾아내는 작업이다”

[매거진t 2007-01-30 15:00]

k000003800jr9.jpg

MBC 하얀거탑에서는 수많은 전장(戰t場)이 펼쳐진다. 수술실 안에서 벌어지는 기싸움, 병원 안팎에서 벌어지는 권력다툼, 그리고 다양한 중견 배우들의 연기가 한 치의 허술함도 없이 팽팽하게 부딪히는 순간들이다. 정년퇴임을 앞두고 자신의 후임으로 떠오른 장준혁(김명민)을 밀어내기 위해 이전투구를 불사하는 대학 병원의 외과 과장 이주완의 갈등은 병원 전체를 긴장시키며 극 초반을 이끌었다. 위엄 있으면서도 위선적이고 소심한 이주완을 치밀하게 연기한 배우 이정길이 아니었다면 이들의 대립이 과연 그토록 힘을 가질 수 있었을까. 연기 경력 42년째, 청년 시절에는 ‘한국의 알랭 들롱’이라고 불리웠던, 그리고 하얀거탑을 통해 ‘굴욕정길’이라는 애정 어린 별명을 얻은 배우 이정길을 만났다.

삶의 이면을 보여주는 것, 그게 드라마의 본질이다.

T : 하얀거탑의 반응이 아주 좋다. 주인공 장준혁과 전임 과장 이주완의 대립 구도가 긴장감 넘치는 관계를 형성하며 강한 인상을 남겼는데, 처음 캐스팅되었을 당시에는 어떻게 캐릭터를 준비했나.

이정길 : 원작소설이 일본에서 대단한 반응을 얻어서 두 번이나 드라마로 만들어졌다는 얘기는 전부터 알고 있었다. 출연을 결정한 뒤 소설과 의학 관련 자료를 읽으며 준비를 시작했다. 제작진들이 참고하라고 준 일본판 하얀거탑 DVD는 일부러 보지 않았다. 내가 새 작품을 시작하며 인물을 하나 창조해서 구축해가는 마당에 일본 배우들의 이미지가 남아 있으면 연기에 걸림돌이 될 수도 있기 때문이었다.

T : 이주완은 권위와 위엄이 있는 인물이지만 후배 장준혁에 대한 질투심을 생생히 드러내거나 자신이 원하는 것을 얻기 위해 남에게 무릎도 꿇는 등 다양한 면모를 보여준다. 이러한 입체적인 캐릭터를 연기하기 위해 무게를 두는 것은 어떤 부분인가.

이정길 : 하얀거탑은 악인이 따로 있는 작품이 아니기 때문에 꼭 의미의 상황적 전달만이 아니라 복잡한 인물의 심리가 구축되어야 대립각이 선다. 최고의 엘리트라는 의사들이 집단 안에서 자기 권위와 자리를 지키려고 하다보니까 아집도 생기고 권위가 실추되었을 때 감정의 미묘한 곡선도 있을 거고. 그것을 찾는 부분이 이주완이라는 인물에게 주어진 명제라고 생각했다. 이주완은 몇 대에 걸친 의사 집안에서 태어난, 스스로 귀족이라는 생각을 하면서 의술을 펼치는 인물이기 때문에 때로는 상당히 고압적이고 자존심 강한 모습을 보이기도 하지만 반면에 스스로를 지키지 못하는 순간, 허와 실이 드러나 허물어지는 순간을 애써 지탱하려는 모습을 통해서는 보는 사람들에게 연민을 자아내기도 한다. 노민국을 자기 후계자로 삼기 위해 무릎을 꿇는 것도 그런 거다. 살아남으려면, 1대 1로 마주했을 때는 “살려주십시오” 하고 부하에게 매달릴 수도 있지만 또 내 가족 앞에서는 그런 모습을 보이지 않는 삶의 이면. 그런 리얼리티에서 오는 섬세한 감정이 작품의 긴장감을 구축하기 때문에 큰 사건이 일어나지 않아도 시청자들이 집중해서 보는 것 같다. 그리고 사실은 그게 드라마의 본질이라고 생각한다.

“굴욕정길이라는 별명, 애정으로 알고 있다”

T : 그래서 하얀거탑에서는 짧은 대화나 회의처럼 움직임이 별로 없는 장면에서도 배우들의 시선이 오갈 때의 긴장감만 가지고도 눈을 뗄 수 없다는 반응이 많다.

이정길 : 한동안 시청률을 의식하면서 드라마들이 만들어지다보니 계속 큰 사건들만 집어넣고 사람만 바뀌지 이야기는 그대로인 작품들도 많았다. 10대들의 취향에 맞추게 되면서 “시청률 떨어지니 나이 든 배우는 빼라”는 얘기까지 나오고. 하지만 사실은 살아가는 모습 안에서 감정의 기복도 있고 충격도 있는 것이다. 그래서 요즘에는 배우들끼리 “드라마다운 드라마 해서 즐겁지?”하는 얘기들도 서로 나누고, 보람이라면 그런 게 보람이다.

T : 인터넷에서 유독 인기가 많은데 합성 사진이나 동영상들을 본 적이 있는지 궁금하다. 또 별명도 많다는 걸 알고 있는지. (웃음)

이정길 : ‘인쇄정길’이니, 무릎 꿇었다고 ‘굴욕정길’이니 하더라. (웃음) 그런데 그게 기분이 나쁘질 않다. 애정이 없으면 나오지 않는 얘기인 것 같아서. 그리고 합성 사진에서는 이주완이 뛰는 장면을 가지고 짜장면 배달부를 만들기도 하던데, 그런 걸 보면 요즘 젊은 사람들은 상당히 행복한 세대라는 생각이 든다. 그런 능력이 악용되지만 않는다면 독특하고 좋은 볼거리를 제공할 수 있어서 좋은 것 같다. 특히 하얀거탑에 대해서는 내가 봐도 훌륭하게 분석한 글이 많고, 배우 개인에 대한 인신공격이나 악평이 별로 없으면서 단역까지 귀하게 여겨주는 것이 참 소중하게 여겨진다.

“드라마를 생방송하던 시절에 TV 활동을 시작했다.”

T : 올해로 연기 생활이 42년째라고 알고 있다. 정말 긴 세월인데, 처음 연기를 시작하게 된 계기는 무엇이었는지.

이정길 : 고등학교 시절에 주변 선배들의 영향으로 보마르셰나 테네시 윌리엄스 등 다양한 작가들의 희곡을 많이 읽었다. 당시에는 민중 예술, 연극 운동에 대한 갈증이 있어서 철저하게 연극만 하겠다고 생각했지 대중적인 스타가 되겠다는 생각은 전혀 없었다. 내 스스로 거울을 보면 인물로 뭘 할 것도 아닌 것 같고. (웃음) 그러다가 어느 날 영국 문화원에서 상영해주는 셰익스피어 연극의 필름에서 로렌스 올리비에가 연기한 베니스의 상인을 보게 되었는데 그냥 피가 끓었다. 한편으로는 내가 저렇게 할 수 있을까 하는 좌절 섞인 감정도 들었고. 그래서 장래에 대한 계획도 없이, 밥은 굶더라도 이걸 해야겠다는 생각으로 뛰어들어서 남들이 보면 미친 사람처럼 연극을 했다.

T : 그런데 특이하게도 극단 생활과 TV 탤런트 활동을 동시에 시작했다.

이정길 : 대학 2학년 때인 65년에 실험 극단에 입단하면서 같은 해 KBS 탤런트 공채로도 들어갔다. 지금 생각하면 잘한 판단이었다. 만약 연극을 하다가 몸이 고단하고 수입이 없다는 이유로 방송 쪽을 기웃거렸다면 더 답답했겠지만 그냥 동시에 발을 들여놓고 스스로 판단한 거였다. 내가 방송국에 들어간 뒤 2년 가량은 녹화기가 없어서 드라마를 생방송하던 시절이었기 때문에 단역을 맡아도 대본을 받아서 가지고 다니면 매일같이 가슴이 뛰었다. 단막극 한 편에 보름씩 연습을 해도 생방송이니까 긴장을 하고, 방송 사고들도 많이 냈다. (웃음) 그러다 “이 젊은 나이, 연기에 대한 열정이 가장 클 때 몇푼 안 되는 돈과 바꿔먹는 연기를 기다리기만 하다가는 타성에 젖어서 빠른 시간 내에 꼬질꼬질한 연기자가 되지 않을까”하는 생각에 방송을 접고 1년에 십수편 씩 연극을 했다. 그러다 보니 다시 방송국에서 불러줘서 70년부터는 본격적인 TV 활동을 시작하고 70년대 중반에는 당시 청춘스타였던 임예진과 함께 영화 여고 졸업반, 선생님 안녕같은 고교생물을 찍기도 했다. 사실 돈을 버는 대중 스타의 자리를 오랫동안 지내면서 가슴이 답답해질 때도 있었다. 연기생활이라는 건 늘 후회스럽고 부족하고 하나 끝나면 허하고, 또 새로운 작품에 도전하고 싶고. 그런 의미에서 자기 걸 가리지 말고 훌훌 털며 작업해야 한다는 생각이 들었다. 고리텁텁하게 자꾸 뭔가 축적되지 않고 투명하게.

“대본은 음표 없는 악보다”

T : 그런 의식이 있었기 때문일까. 사실 어느 시점이 되면 중견 연기자들은 안정된 연기력을 바탕으로 자신에게 맞는 역할만 택하는 경우도 있는 데 비해 나이가 들수록 더욱 다양한 캐릭터를 보여준 것 같다. 특히 젊은 시청자들이 이정길이라는 배우의 존재감에 대해 강한 인상을 받은 것은 부활이었는데 이후 비밀남녀에서는 사회와 가정에서 이중적인 태도를 보이는 교수, 천국의 나무에서는 야쿠자 보스 등 악역이면서도 복잡한 내면을 지닌 캐릭터를 연기했다.

이정길 : 나이가 들면서 악역을 많이 맡았다. 하지만 악역이어도 인물이 미워야지 그 배우가 미우면 안된다고 생각한다. 예전에 청춘의 덫같은 멜로 드라마에서 비열한 주인공 역을 맡았을 때도 시청자들이 TV에서는 그 캐릭터를 미워해도 실제로 나를 만나면 반가워하곤 했다. 나는 대본에 음표는 없지만 악보라고 생각한다. 각각의 연주자들이 보는 악보는 같아도 거기에 담겨져 있는 열정이나 표현은 다르니까 연기자 역시 똑같은 대사라도 어떤 생각과 기분을 가지고 하느냐에 따라 달라진다. 보이지 않는 음표를 찾아내는 작업, 그래서 그걸 제일 많이 찾아내고 빨리 감성적으로나 이성을 가지고 그 인물을 자기에게 담아냈을 때 시청자들이 공감할 수 있는 선을 찾아내는 게 유능한 배우라고 생각한다.

T : 그런데 그 캐릭터들 대부분의 공통점이 밖에서는 냉혹하거나 비열한 짓도 불사하지만 가정에서만큼은 누구보다 따뜻하고 자녀를 위해 헌신하는 아버지라는 점이다. 실제로 가정에서는 어떤가.

이정길 : 실제로 그렇기 때문에 연기에 묻어나오는 거다. (웃음) 나는 독자이고 남매를 두었는데 한 번도 체벌을 해본 적 없이 친구처럼 키웠다. 프라하의 연인에서 딸과의 관계와 비슷할 것 같다.

T : 최근 이순재 선생님을 비롯한 중견 연기자들이 시트콤을 통해 연기력을 새삼 인정받았을 뿐 아니라 시청자들로부터도 좋은 반응을 얻고 있는데 혹시 시트콤 출연 제의가 들어온다면.

이정길 : 이순재 선배님과는 함께 연극을 많이 했는데 맥베드에서 맬컴 역할을 더블 캐스트로 맡은 적도 있고 세일즈맨의 죽음에서 선배님이 아버지 역을 하실 때는 내가 큰아들 비프 역을 맡았었다. 순재 형은 대학 시절부터 감성이 빠른 연기자이셨기 때문에 품위를 지키면서 웃음을 주는 방법도 잘 아신다. 나는, 어쩌면 할 날이 있겠지. 하지만 배우들이 망가지는 모습만을 가지고 시선을 집중시키려는 사람들도 있고 자칫하면 천박해질 수도 있는 것 같으니 스스로 판단을 해서 조정해야 할 것 같다. 만약 내 스스로 감당이 가능하다면 할 수 있지 않을까.

“연기 생활 42년, 내게는 한결같이 최고의 순간이었다.”

T : 연극 무대에 대한 애착이 여전히 강한 것 같은데 다시 무대에 서게 된다면 어떤 역할을 꼭 해보고 싶은지.

이정길 : 세일즈맨의 죽음의 윌리나 베니스의 상인의 샤일록같은 역할을 하고 싶다. 말로만이 아니라 정말 하고 싶다. 그런데 연극을 하려면 준비가 많이 필요하다. 예전에 잉그마르 베르히만의 결혼생활의 몇장면을 공연하는데 두시간짜리 2인극이다보니 체력적으로 만만치가 않았다. 두 달 동안 연습하면서 술 담배 끊고 등산 다니면서 호흡 기르다보니 좀 나아졌고, 40일 동안 공연하면서는 담배 한 모금 입에 안 댔다. 연극을 준비하려면 그게 당연한 거다. 그래서 선뜻 시작하지는 못하고 있지만, 그래도 해야지.

T : 지금까지 연기를 해오면서 스스로 가장 충만했던, 최고의 시간이라고 생각되었던 순간이 있었다면.

이정길 : 지금까지 똑같다. 항상. (웃음) 그 동안 거의 공백 없이 좋은 작품을 해올 수 있었고, 나이는 많이 먹었지만 얼마 전 연개소문에서도 20킬로그램 넘는 갑옷을 입고 말을 타며 고함을 질러가며 연기를 했다. 내가 하고자 했던 작업을 처음부터 지금까지 42년째 하고 있다는 것이 행복하고 감사할 뿐이다.

Archived