[drama 2007] White Tower [ 하얀 거탑]

shirley

Guest piano_lady

MyungMin International website is now up and running!

And as an opening treat, Kim Myung Min graced us with a video message ~ in ENGLISH!

vidmsg-02.jpg

vidmsg-03.jpg

vidmsg-04.jpg

vidmsg-01.jpg

Check it out here.

It can be viewed by MMI members only. ;)

Not yet a member? Join us now!

Click here for more information!

See you in www.myungmininternational.com

:D

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Guest Chuck Salvi

I just finished watching White Tower on dvd. I had seen Kim Myung Min in Beethoven Virus, and thought he was great in that drama, so I decided to watch some of his other dramas, too. I'd watch Immortal Admiral Yi Sun-shin if I could find it somewhere.

I really loved White Tower. KMM's portrayal of a supremely confident surgeon of matchless ability was magnificent. Dr. Jang's inability to succeed outside of the Operating Room without resorting to dishonest means was a tragic failing in so great a person. Whereas in the OR he relied exclusively on his own knowledge and ability, when it came to success outside the OR - becoming the Chief of Surgery, dealing with a lawsuit - he relied on other people to show him how to succeed, and this led to his downfall. They led him grievously astray. And of course he bears the responsibility of letting them lead him astray.

I disagree with the previous Chief of Surgery, Dr. Lee, who kept saying, in regard to Dr. Jang, that "Pride goes before a fall." There is true, earned pride, which is a good thing, and there is false, unearned pride, which is what can lead to a fall. Dr. Jang was rightfully proud of his peerless ability as a surgeon. But his becoming Chief of Surgery was done dishonestly, and therefore was nothing to be proud of. It was this dishonesty - bribes, intimidation, back room deals, etc. - that led to his downfall. It was not his justifiable pride in his surgical abilities. So the moral ought to be "Dishonesty goes before a fall."

In fact, I don't think Dr. Jang was proud of how he became Chief of Surgery at all. He knew it was dishonest, and hated having to do such things. But he put becoming Chief, and then maintaining that position in the face of the lawsuit, ahead of everything else, including his integrity, and that was his tragic failing. As he piled lie on top of lie, bribe on top of bribe, he was destroying himself. And losing all of his friends. One of my favorite scenes happened when the nurse who had quit (because she was pregnant) came in Dr. Jang's office and spoke to him. She told him that she admired his ability, but was disappointed in how he had changed since becoming the Chief. "You're a good man," she said, "and I don't want you to change any more." Dr. Jang was genuinely touched, and said "Thank you for saying that." I was hoping against hope that he might be so moved by someone who recognized the goodness inside him, that he would admit he had gone wrong, and start acting as a man of integrity, and essential goodness, again. But that didn't happen. He was simply too far gone, too focused on maintaining his position above all other concerns. And it didn't help that his lawyer subsequently put a money bribe into a gift for the nurse's child.

The character I really admired, above Dr. Jang, was Dr. Choi. What a hero! His sterling example showed exactly where Dr. Jang was weakest: he had perfect integrity. No amount of fear, intimidation, or bribery could deflect Dr. Choi from doing what he thought was right. And he not only did the right thing for his own integrity, he also tried to get Dr. Jang to do the right thing, for his own sake. He saw that Jang was destroying himself, and tried over and over again to make him see this, and change the road he was taking. I saw in this thread somewhere that the Director said Dr. Choi was just there as a foil for Dr. Jang, because doctors like Dr. Choi do not exist in the real world. That is to misunderstand the purpose of art. In art (books, paintings, sculpture, dramas) the artist should portray people as they could be, and ought to be, not as they happen to be in everyday life. We want someone to look up to and admire, someone to emulate. That is exactly what Dr. Choi is, and that's why I love that character in this drama.

When Dr. Jang was diagnosed with inoperable cancer, I felt horribly bad for him. I hated the idea that this was his fate, or his punishment for being such an "evil" man (as Dr. Lee's wife said). He certainly did wrong things that deserved punishment. But the death penalty is a bit excessive. It was very touching to see everyone putting aside their less important differences in genuine distress for Dr. Jang. The death of such a great man is never a good thing. It certainly brought plenty of tears to my eyes.

A few things I didn't like. I did not like Dr. Lee's daughter, the "social activist." An adult woman, living with and off of her parents, no job, and spends all her time supporting the latest cause du jour. What an easy life, when you can spend your life criticizing everyone else, without ever having to make a living of your own.

I also felt little sympathy for the woman whose husband died, under Dr. Jang's care, and brought the lawsuit against him. Doctors are human beings too, and make mistakes. And certainly, if negligence is involved, there has to be some penalty. But the woman seemed to me to want to utterly destroy Dr. Jang, not merely have him admit responsibility. Dr. Jang certainly did not want the patient to die. He simply made an error. Wanting to destroy him for that is more immoral than anything Dr. Jang did.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Are there any subtitles that are not engrish? The ones I have are not watchablecrazy.gif, so I'm looking for some kind of alternative. I can resync them myself if they don't sync up with my version. 

Are the subtitles on dramafever any good? Because I live in europe, I can't access it yet, but I'm currently working on it. I have also found a hardsubbed version on asiatorrents, are those any good?blink.gif

yeah me too ! I am also looking for "good" subtitles for The White Tower . I have the files from ages ago but have yet to watch it since I cannot find any good subs .!!

Just trying my luck here to ask as I realize old dramas subs is hard to find . I did know that am-addiction has it before ( now the site is no more ! ) so any kind souls who actually managed to salvage the subs please PM me ... !

Sorry to ask the question here but I am desperate to watch it :)

• 1 month later...

yeah me too ! I am also looking for "good" subtitles for The White Tower . I have the files from ages ago but have yet to watch it since I cannot find any good subs .!!

Just trying my luck here to ask as I realize old dramas subs is hard to find .  I did know that am-addiction has it before ( now the site is no more ! )  so any kind souls who actually managed to salvage the subs please PM me ...  !

Sorry to ask the question here  but I am desperate to watch it :)

Sorry this is late.  I'm watching it right now over dramafever.com.  It's also on crunchyroll.  Too bad the recaps were not continued.  They help so much to understand nuances and cultural differences.

Sorry this is late.  I'm watching it right now over dramafever.com.  It's also on crunchyroll.  Too bad the recaps were not continued.  They help so much to understand nuances and cultural differences.

oh is it possible to get the dramafever softsubs ? I am still waiting for good subs to watch this series ...hopefully some kind souls can help me

• 1 year later...
Guest Aeternium

mekeo117 said:

Gasenadi

wrote on 23 April 2012 - 01:16 AM:

@Gasenadi  Thanks for the dvd subs link but these subs were the badly translated ones . I know there's good subs out there but maybe they did not save it since this is quite an old drama :)

Wow I can't believe a year have already pass since my last reply in this thread and I'm still faithfully keeping the raws :)  I have yet to watch this but I will keep on waiting

@mekeo117 Dramafever subs can't be ripped (bummer) because they're hardcoded on the image. I downloaded the episodes with decent quality (not HD) and harcoded subs (I'm fairly certain they're the same from DF, and wouldn't be surprised if DF had uploaded this same version) from a website, I'm not sure whether I can post the link here or if you're interested. I have never found those subs as softsubs, it seems like they do not exist :((  If you want it, send me a PM and I'll share it with you, I've checked and they're still online ;)

Archived