[drama 2007] White Tower [ 하얀 거탑]

shirley

Guest TheProfessor

thx shirley. sorry i couldn't find it in the thread directory. :blush:

yeah i think it's more accurately 'white tower' but i think mbc is going w/ 'white power' so it's not confused w/ the original and remake. anyways, it's literally ' white [하얀] powerful/strong [거] tower [탑]'.. i noticed that korean-operated cb's are calling 'white power' or 'great white tower' though.. but i agree it's a little odd.

Is this the Korean Version of the Japanese Movie from the 1960s and remade in a J-Drama from a couple of years ago???

One Doctor is Brilliant but just concentrates on being a doctor and the other doctor is average but is connected to the Hospital politics etc....Is it that storyline...

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I uploaded episodes 1-5. They're not HQ, but much better than LQ. :)

It's the rmvb files from coreano00 clubbox:

#1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KDJ4UO6G

#2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3Y6J5XQ3

#3: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AA7KMNQ7

#4: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SFRI6YPX

#5: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K6K58K7K

The rmvb version of episode 6 hasn't been released yet, but I'll upload it when it comes out.

:crazy: I'm haven't been able to watch the latest 2 episodes! Need to find 2 spare hours sometime this week..

eta: #6. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8WIAKKUD

Guest dramaok

oh i was wrong earlier.. about dr. oh.

this guy on the right: ----->

e05kor070120hdtvxvidali4ib.jpg

he's actually the president of academic society. he and chief lee are sunbae - hubae. and he is the one who helped dr. lee bring dr. noh to myeong-min hospital.

i think also.. that the whole dr. lee 'fainting' thing was a set up to get dr. noh into the surgery room. it seems too coincidential otherwise..

Guest TheProfessor

oh i was wrong earlier..

he's actually the president of academic society. he and chief lee are sunbae - hubae. and he is the one who helped dr. lee bring dr. noh to myeong-min hospital.

i think also.. that the whole dr. lee 'fainting' thing was a set up to get dr. noh into the surgery room. it seems too coincidential otherwise..

I am 99.5% sure it is "Based" on a Japanese story....as I said before it was mad into a movie in the 1960's and redone a couple of years ago as a J-drama. The ending was sad in that "real world" terms...

Guest dramaok

ep. 5.. seems like dr. noh and dr. jang realize each other's superior skills...

e05kor070120hdtvxvidali1hy.jpg

not a easy battle to win.. mutual admiration and fear starting to develop...

-------------

e05kor070120hdtvxvidali9ob.jpge05kor070120hdtvxvidali7fu.jpg

pancreas, liver and kidney

but in the last transpant for kidney, the liver started to fail...

dr. noh said dr. jang didn't connect the colonary vein but since it's so easy he'll take care of it.

(it was dr. jang's mistake)

but!!!! a bigger blow!!! sweet revenge for jang?

dr. jang then insists the transplant for pancreas was not done properly by dr. noh. !!

dr. noh says it was done right, but dr. jang doesn't care and he proceeds.. showing dr. noh's mistake, and says he'll redo the pancreas transplant.

dr. noh replies, 'yes.. please.. '

---------

e05kor070120hdtvxvidali3xw.jpg

jinjoo.. at last.. no cure for her. as dr. oh tells dr. choi...

"for her at this stage, instead of pain treatment, an icecream might bring her more comfort... "

she will take a train ride w/ her mom to the seaside..

e05kor070120hdtvxvidali7ga.jpg

e05kor070120hdtvxvidali5hw.jpg

e05kor070120hdtvxvidali1kj.jpg

"dear dr. choi do-yeong:

thank you very much for treating me w/ your great skills.

later on, when my hair grows long and when my height grows too,

i will come back again.

dr., i love you, jinjoo. "

e05kor070120hdtvxvidali5de.jpg

e05kor070120hdtvxvidali8zt.jpg

JJ: oh why did you come dr.?

choi: ah.. jinjoo.. i was afraid that when you come back w/ your long hair and tall height you might be so pretty i might not recognize you so i came to take another look at you.

JJ: ah.

choi: and what to do.. this doctor.. i didn't prepare a gift for you yet.. but when you come back again i'll be sure to have it... but instead.. take this (note).. and jinjoo ya.. let's be sure to see each other again healthy! got it?

JJ: yes.

e05kor070120hdtvxvidali4jo.jpg

"internal medicine doctor (choi do yeong)

cell phone 372 9541.

home xxx - 9541

hospital extension: 2791"

----------

e05kor070120hdtvxvidali8ql.jpg

e05kor070120hdtvxvidali4eh.jpg

jang: i thought you might be watching the surgery from the observation room.. but you weren't there..

choi: i was busy..

jang: i see that.. it's your pediactric patient, right?

choi: (nods)

jang: are you giving up?

choi: it's not like that. so don't say it so lightly.

jang: fine. but how mean you are.. but do you at least know that today i successfully transplanted liver, kidney and pancreas?

choi: yeah.. i heard.. congrats.

jang: that's it? gee i feel disappointed..

choi: i didn't get to see it, but i knew you would do well.

jang: are you acknowledging my skills now?

choi: i never dis-acknowledged it. you just made that up yourself. when you're like this you don't seem like your confident self.

jang: (slight smile) i'll remember that..

choi: i gotta go in first then..

jang: how about a drink? the surgery kids say they will put a table together to commemorate the surgery success.

choi: have a good time.. every three hours i have to..

jang: you have a date to check on every three hours?

choi: hehe..

jang: i know you are a busy doctor, but let me hear you say have a drink first one of these days.

choi: i'll try.. i'm going in then..

---

e05kor070120hdtvxvidali6uv.jpg

and to deputy director's dismay.. dr. oh becomes the new head of commission on surgery chief election.

---------

it was a report on future surgery dept. plans. but dr. jang said it wasn't at all progressive enough so he tears it and says he'll write it since he's the next chief ! :mellow:

dr. lee, "i don't think you will be.. because you lack in becoming a person.. "

-------

i haven't seen 5 or 6 yet. but i believe the operation was 3 organs all at once. never done before at any other hospitals. i think something goes wrong when dr. noh and dr. jang disagree on something during the surgery, and dr. lee takes dr. noh's side, and dr. jang gets pissed.. ?? need to go watch 5 and 6 soon..

p.s. shirley i took one of the pics you posted from dcinside for my siggy. hope that's okay. :blush: let me know who to credit.. or should i credit you?

^^ the picture come from dcinside ..i cant rem the id who posted it :blush: lol i love your siggy ~ ...

choi: yeah.. i heard.. congrats.

jang: that's it? gee i feel disappointed..

choi: i didn't get to see it, but i knew you would do well.

jang: are you acknowledging my skills now?

choi: i never dis-acknowledged it. you just made that up yourself. when you're like this you don't seem like your confident self.

i like this part ^^dr jang only true friend in a way was just dr choi ..only from him he hear words of truth .right to the end .

thanks for the translations ~ ..make it easiler to follow the esp 5~~~!! i come back with more questions when i fin kek ~

I am 99.5% sure it is "Based" on a Japanese story....as I said before it was mad into a movie in the 1960's and redone a couple of years ago as a J-drama. The ending was sad in that "real world" terms...

yes it is a remake :)

gosh .he faked it .`@@ ...

Guest TheProfessor

A Big THANKS to "Shirley" for verifying this is a REMAKE. I prefer Japanese Dramas to Korean...

AND...I thought the 1966 Movie was better than the J-Drama from a couple of years ago...

Nice Drama and Storyline with a dose of reality...Sometimes it is who you know or are politically connected (business wise) than the ability you possess to do a job...

I hope the K-drama is up to the previous shows!

Guest dramaok

episode. 6..

whitetower06avi000200136wn.jpg

dr. jang's father in law, dr. min wants to bribe pathologist doc, dr. oh kyeong-hwan.

whitetower06avi000169804bc.jpg

jang: no that can't do father, it's impossible..

min: but i think it's a question of how many zeros...

jang: that doesn't work on dr. oh.. it will rather backfire..

min: it's scary isn't it? hehehe

[in an earlier episode, dr. yoo told them dr. oh's only weakness is his only son, whose business failed.. ]

------

[jang asks choi to get dr. oh to a dinner table.. ]

whitetower06avi000436462sl.jpg

choi: if it's for that.. he won't want to see you.

jang: that's why you can just help me out.. just get him there and i'll take care of the rest.

choi: if you're gonna keep talking this talk then you should just leave.

jang: i can't leave until i hear you say you will help me.

whitetower06avi000478278li.jpg

jang: you watch. i will be the chief without your help. and i will save more people w/ my hands than you will.

--------

whitetower06avi000564491qh.jpg

whitetower06avi000578872uf.jpg

jang: sorry about yesterday.. infront of the child..

choi: i explained it to her understanding..

jang: and i won't ask that kind of help from you again. i'll accomplish this myself.

choi: i hope it goes well.. i mean it.

jang: if the day comes when you're about to be chief perhaps i will, as the chief of surgery be in the position to vote.. and then.. i will throw my vote at you without fear of death.. for a friend like you.

--------

next episode: dr. lee renounces his vote.. and dr. jang pleads dr. noh to give up.. what does this mean? ....????

Guest suzziee

hehe. well dr. jang would make a better lover imo. so much passion and curiosity. but he'd dropped you in a sec. for his own need.

and of course, dr. choi is a constant calm that a woman can depend on.. albeit boring.. like the wife said.. "why are all the people around me so boring".. ^^.. actually i'm curious how dr. choi and his wife got together.

aww dramaok...

I saw your newest siggy and my heart literally dropped *cries*

And I am a sucker for boring but NICE men... so while I like to watch Dr Jang and co fight their guts out for power and THAT contested spot, and seeing them shove the blame to and fro, I <3 the gentle and peaceful Dr Choi moments where you can really see the humanistic side of the occupation.

Haven't yet gotten around to watching eps 5 and 6 but thank you for the brief summaries first, I'm sure they will aid me immensely in my watching. ^^

(I totally spoilt myself and couldn't resist reading what you posted :P)

Guest TheProfessor

isn't this a remake of the taiwanese White tower?

It is a Remake of a Japanese story...

I saw the 1966 movie on TVJAPAN a couple of years ago and then they did a remake for Japanese tv...I remember apprx 12 episodes...Great Story...

A Politically savvy but average doctor against a more humane but above average doctor...in the 1966 Movie the ending was BRILLIANT.

Guest dramaok

Haven't yet gotten around to watching eps 5 and 6 but thank you for the brief summaries first, I'm sure they will aid me immensely in my watching. ^^

(I totally spoilt myself and couldn't resist reading what you posted :P)

heh~ ya hurry and catch up. or else i have to talk to myself in here forever. ^^

aren't these kinda fun? by do-yu@ dcinside

1515111rt.gif

doyu9pe.gif

13131132nl.gif

but no dr. choi. ><....

and it's okay suz.. you can have do-yeong ssi.. okay? he's unmarried in real life. hoho. (but they say lee seon-gyeon is dating an actress. and they've been together for 3 years. but still NOT married. ^^)

PS: There was an article in the news thread (Shirley jsut posted it a few posts above as well) that said this year will see 4 medical dramas- is anyone intending to watch any of those other ones?

There's White Tower, Surgeon Bong Dal Hee, and I know of General Hospital coming sometime this year. I wonder what the 4th is.. :unsure:

I'm very excited for General Hospital 2 (종합병원), although I haven't seen the first one :sweatingbullets: . But the cast alone makes it a must watch, at least the last I heard, Shin Eun Kyeong, Lee Jae Ryong, and Jun Do Yeon are involved..

I caught the first 2 episodes of Surgeon Bong Dal Hee.. :mellow:

It's a completely different feel from White Tower. It's more like an ordinary Korean soap opera because of its predictability and focus on the romance.

I'm still only up to episode 4..

This certainly is a very male dominated cast and story.

I was just wondering if the female characters like Ms. Kang and Dr. Lee's daughter are going to have any better of a storyline..

Is that woman going to stay Dr. Jang's mistress forever? And even though his wife is annoying, it isn't right to be cheated on like that.

And Dr. Lee's daughter, is she just going to pine after Dr. Choi forever? Hopefully not.. not for her sake, but I would be so disappointed if Dr. Choi would ever be so immoral as being unfaithful to his wife.

I need to watch 5 and 6!

:lol: Everyone in here seems to be most into Dr. Choi, but I think my favorite storyline is the rivalry between Dr. Jang and Dr. Noh.

There's White Tower, Surgeon Bong Dal Hee, and I know of General Hospital coming sometime this year. I wonder what the 4th is.. :unsure:

I'm very excited for General Hospital 2 (종합병원), although I haven't seen the first one :sweatingbullets: . But the cast alone makes it a must watch, at least the last I heard, Shin Eun Kyeong, Lee Jae Ryong, and Jun Do Yeon are involved..

I caught the first 2 episodes of Surgeon Bong Dal Hee.. :mellow:

It's a completely different feel from White Tower. It's more like an ordinary Korean soap opera because of its predictability and focus on the romance.

I'm still only up to episode 4..

This certainly is a very male dominated cast and story.

I was just wondering if the female characters like Ms. Kang and Dr. Lee's daughter are going to have any better of a storyline..

Is that woman going to stay Dr. Jang's mistress forever? And even though his wife is annoying, it isn't right to be cheated on like that.

And Dr. Lee's daughter, is she just going to pine after Dr. Choi forever? Hopefully not.. not for her sake, but I would be so disappointed if Dr. Choi would ever be so immoral as being unfaithful to his wife.

I need to watch 5 and 6!

:lol: Everyone in here seems to be most into Dr. Choi, but I think my favorite storyline is the rivalry between Dr. Jang and Dr. Noh.

Dr. Choi is the heart and soul of the drama, he's my baby! but as for dr. noh and jang, ahhhh the plot thickens. If you ask me, i totally agree with theProfessor here. They are both smart men, but brilliant in different terms. Dr. Jang (savvy politcian and a smoothe talker with some soul left in him or whatever wasnt sold to the devil of ambition) but dr. noh, not so much so, he is definitely clever and a conniving one at that. The fierce competition between both men is ahhhhhhhh, unbelievably fabulous. Pitting two adversaries with equal brains and ambition.

i agree, the women dont play much importance in this drama. I dont even watch it for them because they figure so little into it, the men are definitely driving this one home.

As for Surgeon Bong Dal hee, its cute and very grey's anatomy, definitely catering to the masses for romance. I think the tenative cast for General Hospital is enough for me to watch it.

Thanks again dear Dramaok for the so needed posts with scripts translated and pictures...and the blinking eyes of KMM aka Dr Jang was so cute ha!ha!

If I'm not mistaken this Korean version plays up the rivalry between Dr Jang and Dr Noh more prominently whereas the japanese version, it was not that so? But from what I've read from you guys, this rivalry is playing it up quite nicely...wah...chingu has downloaded the drama..but both of us can't understand a twit of Korean, no subs and all...but she sms me and was drooling on Kim Myung Min's voice!!! *Swoons in bimboticness* aiggooo!

Think I just might embark watching it as it is and just follow you guys here to try and digest what actually went on - so let all them words FLYYYYY pass first and let the actions speak to ME (it's the only thing I have sobs! aigoo)

I know I am bad, but in the japanese version, I liked Dr Choi's actor there too...and I couldn't help myself hoping for the love romance between them to bloosom with the same Dr Lee's daughter...yeah I'm one of the masses so LOMANTIC inclined...but I so valued his wife's bonding with him (Dr Choi, japanese version)...so I can guess and feel how dear Dr Choi must be like....so steady, so trustworthy, so true, no hidden agendas, pure true friendship.....with Dr Jang....

I was also quite surprised at myself that I could enjoy a drama focus on the goings-on in a top hospital and the MEN in them, especially the bond between the 2 doctors, Dr Jang & Dr Choi's nemesis in the japanese version....and keeping LOMANTICness in check with little lovey dovey stuff....I was also cheering for Dr Choi's character all the way....BUT here in the K version....Dr Jang's character shows so much more depth when played by KMM (OK so I'm biased being KMM's ardent fan! I admit!!!)...but folks that seen both version, tell me if I'm wrong....the scenes you guys said when he called his mother...his still "good" side that emerges - that raw emotion shown - his inert great desire to "MAKE IT" in his new world, to be the best of the best because of where he came from....just tore me...dang it, just by reading and seeing pics. I can imagine aigooo, if truly watching...yeah, would have to have bucket for me tears beside me......when thier japanese nemesis for Dr Jang did it in the K version, yes, I was moved....but not to the same degree and by goodness, I actually SAW it acted out....SO THERE KMM shi, you are awesome!

I wonder who will play (or already in the picture?) the reclusive doctor who would be the *judge* to the later "trial" he was that thin white haired man in the J version who was ever so respected by EVERYONE in the hospital....

Oh below, one of my fav. dialogues from Dramaok's trans:

jang: sorry about yesterday.. infront of the child..

choi: i explained it to her understanding..

jang: and i won't ask that kind of help from you again. i'll accomplish this myself.

choi: i hope it goes well.. i mean it.

jang: if the day comes when you're about to be chief perhaps i will, as the chief of surgery be in the position to vote.. and then.. i will throw my vote at you without fear of death.. for a friend like you.

....without fear or death..for a friend like you.....I believe to Dr Jang...Dr Choi's not just his one true friend but also his outlet of being his true self...and not worry of being judged or not...he can relax and be himself - all his *good* and *bad* combined.

Cheers, E

Guest TheProfessor

I know I am bad, but in the japanese version, I liked Dr Choi's actor there too...and I couldn't help myself hoping for the love romance between them to bloosom with the same Dr Lee's daughter...yeah I'm one of the masses so LOMANTIC inclined...but I so valued his wife's bonding with him (Dr Choi, japanese version)...so I can guess and feel how dear Dr Choi must be like....so steady, so trustworthy, so true, no hidden agendas, pure true friendship.....with Dr Jang....

I was also quite surprised at myself that I could enjoy a drama focus on the goings-on in a top hospital and the MEN in them, especially the bond between the 2 doctors, Dr Jang & Dr Choi's nemesis in the japanese version....and keeping LOMANTICness in check with little lovey dovey stuff....I was also cheering for Dr Choi's character all the way....BUT here in the K version....Dr Jang's character shows so much more depth when played by KMM (OK so I'm biased being KMM's ardent fan! I admit!!!)...but folks that seen both version, tell me if I'm wrong....the scenes you guys said when he called his mother...his still "good" side that emerges - that raw emotion shown - his inert great desire to "MAKE IT" in his new world, to be the best of the best because of where he came from....just tore me...dang it, just by reading and seeing pics. I can imagine aigooo, if truly watching...yeah, would have to have bucket for me tears beside me......when thier japanese nemesis for Dr Jang did it in the K version, yes, I was moved....but not to the same degree and by goodness, I actually SAW it acted out....SO THERE KMM shi, you are awesome!

I wonder who will play (or already in the picture?) the reclusive doctor who would be the *judge* to the later "trial" he was that thin white haired man in the J version who was ever so respected by EVERYONE in the hospital....

Oh below, one of my fav. dialogues from Dramaok's trans:

....without fear or death..for a friend like you.....I believe to Dr Jang...Dr Choi's not just his one true friend but also his outlet of being his true self...and not worry of being judged or not...he can relax and be himself - all his *good* and *bad* combined.

Cheers, E

Hi E...Just finished my Morning Coffee and getting ready for my morning surf...I have to ask since we both have seen the Japanese Version ....does the Korean Version seem to be up to the High Standards of the Japanese Version? I am debating whether to watch or not? Especially hard to decide since I have seen the story before...Let me know your opinion.

Thanks.

lol ... wowie ... rbeach is TheProfessor in disguise now? i thought his posting sounded familiar but this confirmed it.

sorry for going off topic but i can't resist.

*sigh* ... i really wanted to watch this drama but unfortunately my connection sucks these days and it would take ages to download 700mb files. oh well guess i'll keep my fingers crossed it'll get picked up by some subbing group eventually or wait for it to be released with chinese subs on dvd/vcds. the castings are just gorgeous and i think it's the first time i've seen lee seon-gyeon in such a major role? i love the japanese version ... and shirley has convinced me this version rocks too ... not to mention the campers in this thread are such avid kdrama fans ... haha ... argggh ... i hate my service provider.

Guest TheProfessor

Didn't answer my ?....does anyone know if the Korean Version is faithful to the original including the "realistic if not so happy" ending or does it go for a k-drama formula ending...

Guest suzziee

Didn't answer my ?....does anyone know if the Korean Version is faithful to the original including the "realistic if not so happy" ending or does it go for a k-drama formula ending...

We wouldn't know about the ending since its only 6 episodes into the (20 episode) drama, but from what I've heard so far, from people who've watched the J-version and this one, such as Shirley, is that this version matches the quality of the Japanese version.

To answer someone else's question as to whether Dr Choi will get together with Yoonjin,

well in the Japanese version, that doesn't happen... The slight romance never goes anywhere cos he's married and I mean, personally I agree with that because a good boring steady man like Dr Choi would rather die than be unfaithful to his lovely wife (who is indeed virtuous etc...) so unfortunately for us scandal-loving viewers....

:vicx: hehe...

But I assume with the quality of this drama, its safe to assume it won't fall into any of the usual Kdrama traps... :P

I just watched episode 5 and boy... when little Jinjoo leaves the hospital and I see Yoonjin crying I wanted to cry too. :(

and it's okay suz.. you can have do-yeong ssi.. okay? he's unmarried in real life. hoho. (but they say lee seon-gyeon is dating an actress. and they've been together for 3 years. but still NOT married. ^^)

hehe dramaok.. thank you for sharing dr. choi *hic hic* feel much better already :D so whos this actress he is dating! luckyy person who gets to hear his voice dailyyy

Guest TheProfessor

We wouldn't know about the ending since its only 6 episodes into the (20 episode) drama, but from what I've heard so far, from people who've watched the J-version and this one, such as Shirley, is that this version matches the quality of the Japanese version.

But I assume with the quality of this drama, its safe to assume it won't fall into any of the usual Kdrama traps... :P

A BIG THANKS...for answering my ?. I will continue to watch and YES...I agree PLEASE NO USUAL KDRAMA trap...My biggest complaint about kdramas is ...Formula Endings....

Archived