[drama 2007] White Tower [ 하얀 거탑]

shirley

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dramaok

I thought I saw one of the team of Dr Jang's team ratted to the latter's mentor (dr lee) but I'm not sure if/how the deputy director came to hear of it from Dr Lee..

bec I distinctly remember the members of the team grumbling about Dr Jang and his operation and then the guy with the really short hair cut with glasses went to report to Dr. Lee.

but wasn't this after the surgery. did someone rat on him before? i don't remember this.. maybe i need to rewatch.

Guest suzziee

^ yep. it happened after the operation when the doctor told dr lee. but i'm not sure what use that would be since the real person who should know (and did know) is the deputy director. and i dont' remember any scene where the deputy director and dr lee were liasing about that... but i might be wrong of course. :blush:

jang (KMM) tried to brush off the 'secret' part of the operation and he also tried to save dr. woo (the deputy director)'s face, by complimenting dr. woo on his superior diagnosis of the patient having pancreatic cancer (when in fact it was dr. choi who found it. ) and dr. woo asked dr. jang if dr. choi really said that and dr. jang said, 'yes, and he asked me to do the operations for you'.. and he thanked dr. woo for the great opportunity.

thanks dramaok for the explanation and those names of the characters ..lol it help alot otherwise i will have to come up with nicknames for those professor ...kek i like how they make professor/dr. oh kyeong-hwan as professor of pathology and forensics .no wonder that explain those knifes on his table at his first appearance ..

.he always make me think of a mad scientist kek .now is like he someone who can appear in CSI .` lol ..

oh ..so that what happend .but why would dr jang go ahead and said things like that to him ~ .when he know that he wont be happy to know of the operation :unsure:

i don't thnk he was bluffing. he accused dr. jang of 'bribing' him w/ the gift of 'babosansoo' picture (there's a pun in the picture too. since it's called 'babo' (foolish).

so dr. woo said to dr. jang, just for that he could disgown him. (dis-bar him). that's when dr. jang got desperate and pled, but dr. woo picked up the phone and called dr. lee (chief of surgen) and told dr. lee that dr. jang came on his own accord and volunteered to go to the countryside branch.. and so dr. lee says, 'well that's regreattable but if he himself wants to go then we should respect his wish'.. (but of course dr. lee is happy to get rid of him). i think dr. lee doesn't want his legacy to be out-powered by dr. jang w/ his potential..

:wacko: so that was what went on with the phone call !! ...gosh those two professors are really good at this ...!~

so i think dr. jang will use his father in law's relationship w/ dr. yoo to avoid jang going away.

ya .i think he did ..here the preview for esp 3 ..they will form a camp

..dr jang , his father in law and dr yoo ..

vs

prof lee and his choice of suceesssor ...dr. noh

http://swf.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/whitepo...1/preview_3.swf

Sorry meant to say short

20071814508aimg2279ja1.jpg

This women?

Hopefully someone can do subs :D

Thanks dramaok for the names of the people

ohhh .^^ that woman ..ya just like what suzzie explained .she's prof lee daughter ..her romantic feelings for mr choi => i think i saw in some character description it will be like the same as in jversion .she does like dr choi ...sigh cant really go far because ... since dr choi is married ..i always thought it was such a pity ..when i watch the jversion whyyyyyy must he be married ! ..

Guest dramaok

^ yep. it happened after the operation when the doctor told dr lee. but i'm not sure what use that would be since the real person who should know (and did know) is the deputy director. and i dont' remember any scene where the deputy director and dr lee were liasing about that... but i might be wrong of course. :blush:

yeah i think the crew cut intern rat on jang so he the intern wouldn't get in trouble. you know don't wanna be on the chief's wrong side..

i still suspect either dr. lee or deputy director set up the trap for jang and choi to fall in.. but i'm not sure. yet..

thx for the mr. x link. he didn't say anything in detail. he just seems real interested in this as he was a fan of the japanese version.

and he was pleased w/ the casting.. except some doubts about cha in pyo, song seonmi and lim something girl who plays KMM"s wife.

maybe he'll do chapter reviews. if so then he should translate them if he can.. since he has his own way of talking and it's kinda weird to translate his work. btw is he korean? is that the same x from twitch before?

yeah.. heheee wkend is here.. we can watch this soon.. so exciting.

Guest Dahee Fanel

thx for the mr. x link. he didn't say anything in detail. he just seems real interested in this as he was a fan of the japanese version.

and he was pleased w/ the casting.. except some doubts about cha in pyo, song seonmi and lim something girl who plays KMM"s wife.

maybe he'll do chapter reviews. if so then he should translate them if he can.. since he has his own way of talking and it's kinda weird to translate his work. btw is he korean? is that the same x from twitch before?

Yes, it's the same X from Twitch. :) And no, he isn't Korean.

I've been wanting to watch the first two episodes like crazy, but haven't had the time. Am looking forward to tomorrow anyway. :D

Guest suzziee

yeah i think the crew cut intern rat on jang so he the intern wouldn't get in trouble. you know don't wanna be on the chief's wrong side..

i still suspect either dr. lee or deputy director set up the trap for jang and choi to fall in.. but i'm not sure. yet..

yeah.. heheee wkend is here.. we can watch this soon.. so exciting.

^^ Funny that you should mention the chapter reviews. He did indeed mention in his blog that he will be doing periodic reviews for this drama, just as he did for some of the on-going Sageuks like Jumong, Hwang Jini etc... And the first of the segment was posted not too long ago. Its more of an introduction to the genre and what looks like a very well researched dissertation(?) on medical dramas, not solely Korean but also from the Western world.

Its reallllyy long, and I almost died reading it, given my proficiency (or lack thereof, rather) and his writing tone is rather hard to translate! I only wish he'd do the english translation to this as well, just like he did for Hwang Jini, but I suppose, there's no popular demand. Like I said, a few of us seemed to be locked in this tower. :P

So here goes- credits to mr. x's blog.

White Tower- PREVIEW

요즘 그 분에 대해 궁금해졌다, 소위 의성(醫聖) 히포크라테스. 만약 그 유명한 선서를 안 썼다면, 히포크라테스 학파가 없었다면 서양 의학 그 자체는 어떻게 변했었을까? 그리스에서 히포크라테스 학파가 나타나기 전에 의학은 구획되지 않고, 마술과 심리학과 연합된 과학이었다. 간단히 말하면, 히포크라테스가 나타나기 전에 의사는 일종의 전달자다, 신(信)의 전달자. 신과 대화하는 존재, 초자연적 힘을 가지는 자, 그들은 무사보다 무서운 존재였다. 대부분 사람에 있어서 죽음과 질병은 '하늘의 벌'이었으니 그런 류의 변화는 혁명과 다름이 없었다. 물론 그때부터 의학은 많이 변했지만 히포크라테스의 가르침은 아직도 이 과학에, 의사라는 직업에 엄청난 영향을 주고 있다. 바로 이 선서는, 히포크라테스의 선서는 의학의 철학적인 등뼈가 되었다.

이제 의업에 종사할 허락을 받음에

나의 생애를 인류 봉사에 바칠 것을 엄숙히 서약하노라.

나의 은사에게 대하여 존경과 감사를 드리겠노라.

나의 양심과 품위를 가지고 의술을 베풀겠노라.

나는 환자의 건강과 생명을 첫째로 생각하겠노라.

나는 환자가 나에게 알려준 모든 것에 대하여 비밀을 지키겠노라.

나는 의업의 고귀한 전통과 명예를 유지하겠노라.

나는 동업자를 형제처럼 여기겠노라.

나는 인종, 종교, 국적, 정당관계 또는 사회적 지위 여하를 초월하여 오직 환자에 대한 나의 의무를 지키겠노라.

나는 인간의 생명을 그 수태된 때로부터 더없이 존중하겠노라.

나는 비록 위협을 당할 지라도 나의 지식을 인도에 어긋나게 쓰지 않겠노라.

나는 자유 의사로서 나의 명예를 걸고 위의 서약을 하노라.

품위와 양심, 의사에 있어서 피같은 존재다. 하지만 의사도 사람이니 역시 그들도 인간이라는 동물의 결정적인 약점에서 벗어날 수가 없다, 아무리 좋은 의도 있더라도. 그래서 품위와 양심만의 게임은 아니고, 야망, 욕심, 정치, 배신, 명예 등등도 있다. 인생에는 가끔 두 가지의 길을 나타난다: 엘리베이터로 가는 길과 계단으로 가는 길. 후자는 힘들고 긴 여행이지만 서두르지 않으면 아무 문제 없이 끝까지 갈 수 있고, 전자는 빠르고 쉬운 길이지만 갑자기 멈추질 수 있는 여행이다, 아무 이유 없이. 정전처럼. 그래서 사람은 그 긴, 거대한 탑의 꼭대기에 도달하고 싶어한다, 그 곳에 자기를 힘들어 하는 고민의 모든 대답이 있다고 생각하니까. 욕심이거나 과학 지상주의거나 중심을 잊어버리고, 그 꼭대기에 도달해도 대답이 안 나고, 악수환과 같은 상황이다. 그 복잡하고 답답하며 모순된 정서는 병원이라는 공간을 전쟁터만큼 드라마틱한 존재로 만들 수 있다. 가운 입은 그 장군들, 신의 전달자 그 의사들. 하얀거탑에 도달할까?

"There are two gates of sleep. One is of horn, easy passage for the shades of truth; the other, of gleaming white ivory, permits false dreams to ascend to the upper air."

(Aeneid VI.893-896)

고삐리 시절때 만났던 친구가 갑자기 몇 주 전에 어떤 퍼브에서 만났다. '아니... 설마... 친구야! - 오오오 반갑다 친구야' 뭐 그런 얘기 하면서 (효리는 없었지만) 드라마에 대해 얘기도 했다. 원래 이 분은 의학 드라마 빠였으니 하얀거탑에 대한 몇마디도 했다. 술 마실수록 그 대화는 이상해졌다, 새벽 2시 때는 이런 류의 질문이었다:

친구야! - 아니, 왜 의학드라마에서 맨날 외과 의사에 집중하니. 뭐, 치과 의사는 무슨 죄를 졌나?*

나 - 치과 의사 가지고 무슨 드라마를 찍냐? 4부 동안 충치 스페셜 하냐? '어금니 하나가 썩었다! 이게 이게 이게... 심각한 문제로세!'

친구야! - 근데 그들이 왜 그렇게 돈 잘 버냐?

나 - 입냄새가 심하잖아.

-----------

*의학드라마가 아니지만 치과 의사에 대한 드라마도 있다 최근에, 2004년에 방송했던 MBC 아침극 열정. 재밌었나? 아니, 전혀. 오히려 갈수록 충치같은 존재가 되었다...

-----------

취한 상태였지만 할만한 질문이다: 왜 맨날 의학 드라마는 외과 의사에 집중할까? 물론 그들은 수술하니, 의사 하면 수술 바로 나오니 외과 의사는 당연한 선택이다. 하지만 다른 이유도 있다: 수술 그 자체는 병원의 '일상'에 있어서 가장 드라마틱한 순간이다, 그래서 드라마도 흔히 그 요소에 집중한다. 하긴 역사에 대해 얘기 하면서 정치와 전쟁 너머에 많은 요소가 있지만 (경제적, 사회적, 사회학적, 종교적 등등) 왜 사극은 맨날 그 두 요소에 집중할까? 멋지니까, 역사 기록도 그 이슈에 대해 너무 신경 쓰니까.

그런 면에서 의학드라마의 탄생에 어떤 의미가 있었다, 다른 드라마보다 더. 그것이 무엇이냐 하면 바로 병원에 대한 사람의 두려움을 누그러뜨리다는 계기로서. 정확히 최초의 의학 드라마가 무엇이었는지 알 수가 없지만 서양 의학드라마 중에 영국 ITV의 Emergency - Ward 10 (제10병동) 아마 최초였다. 이 드라마는1957년부터 1967년까지 방송했고, 뭣보다 이 제10병동에 진 로던버리가 확립한 스타 트랙의 세계처럼 아주 낭만적이고 이상주의적인 뉘앙스가 있었다. 예를 들어, 1964년에 이 드라마는 사상 최초의 인종을 초월한 키스를 보여주었다 (원래 여러 기록에 스타 트랙이 있지만 사실 최초는 이 드라마였다).

하지만 (진지하고) 진정한 의학드라마보다 이것은 소프 오페라였다 (바로 그 유명한 '병원에서도 연애질 하는' 드라마!), 영국 TV의 인기가 많은 케이스 중의 하나이고. 그 드라마에서 병원의 분위기는 거의 초현실적이었다: 다들 서로 사이좋게 살았고 (하긴, 시즌마다 5명만 죽을 수가 있으니 - 이건 정말 방송국의 규칙이었다! - 어쩔 수 없었다), 간호사는 천사같은 존재였고, 친절하고 현명한 의사는 신의 아우라를 가졌다. 그래도 그런 류의 직업묘사는 처음이었다, 특히 소프 오페라에서. 물론 장르의 탄생은 영화에서 먼저 시작했지만 영국 TV뿐만 아니라, 영어권 나라 중의 최초의 의학 드라마였다.

미국에서 60년대부터 의학 드라마/소프 오페라는 인기 많이 얻었다. 1961년 9월 27일에 너무나 유명한 닥터 킬데어가 시작했다: 타워링의 리차드 챔벌레인이 제임스 킬데어라는 젊은 인턴이었고, 드라마의 핵심은 일종의 선/후배 라인이었다 (한국에서만큼 미국에서 이 같은 문화적 요소는 그리 중요하지 않았지만). 결국 챔벌레인이 틴 아이돌이 되었고, 닥터 킬데어는 미국에서 의학 장르의 청사진을 만든 드라마가 되었다. 그래도 진정한 전쟁은 1963년에 일어났다: ABC에서는 General Hospital (종합병원) 시작했지만 바로 앞집은 (NBC) 또 다른 의학드라마를 방송했다: The Doctors (의사들). 병원의 소세계에서처럼 역시 경쟁은 중요한 존재였다.

한국은? 정확히 최초의 의학 드라마가 뭐신지 찾는 것이 거의 불가하는 일이다, 60-70년에 대한 자료는 너무 부족하니까. 다만 최초의 기록된 '진정한' 의학드라마 (의사에 대한 스토리만 아니고)는 분명히 1980년 KBS 주간연속극 소망이었다. 작가는 박성조였다, 일종의 국내 의학 드라마의 개척자 - 그의 의학 드라마는 좀 더... 의학에 집중했으니까? 그 드라마의 캐스팅은 정말 빛났다: 신구, 노주현, 김성겸, 백윤식, 정영숙... 의학드라마답게 앙상블은 핵심이었다. 허나 좀 더 폭이 넓은 시선으로 이 상황을 살펴보면, 사실 한국 최초의 의학드라마는 사극이었다: 1975년에 방송했던 MBC 일일사극 집념은 MBC의 '허준 트로이카' (1975년의 집념, 1992년의 동의보감, 1999년의 허준) 중의 최초였다.

집념의 작가 고 이은성은 정말 주목할 만한 케이스다 - 우선 자료 찾으면서 재밌는 사실이 발견했다! 73년에 KBS는 세종대왕에 대한 일일사극을 방송했다 (작가 이은성, 연출 이정훈, 200회!), 그래서 올해 하반기에 발송될 세종대왕은 처음은 아니다. 이작가가 쓴 사극 중의 KBS의 개국 (1983년, 고려 멸망/조선 건국)도 있고, 강감찬 (1973년 KBS. 주현, 신구, 박근형, 이효춘. 참, 주현 선생은 한때는 정말 사극 본좌였구나. 이순신에다가 강감찬?), 거상 임상옥 (1977년 MBC, 상도의 선구작!) 그리고, 물론, 허준 (원작 말이다) 등등도 있다. 집념을 통해 이선생은 제12회 한국연극영화 TV 예술상 최우수시나리오상 탔었고, 1977년에 영화화도 했다 (이건 대박이었고, 적어도 시상식에서...).

물론 의사나 의대생에 대한 드라마도 있었지만 - 1987년부터 1990년까지 방송했던 사랑이 꽃피는 나무 좋은 케이스다 - 진정한 의학드라마 그 자체는 보기 드문 일이었다. 그래도 1988년에 박성조 작가는 또 다른 의학드라마를 썼다: 제7병동. 캐스팅은 바꿨지만 (주현, 김영애, 백준기, 반효정, 이순재, 한진희 등등) 비슷한 소재와 설정이었다. 역시 박 작가는 의학드라마에 있어서 일종의 '이병훈'이었다, 이 장르가 필요한 개척자.

1990년대의 의학드라마의 '풍경'은 좀 더 빛나는 상황이었지만 아직은 먼 길이었다. 물론 1994년의 종합병원 다 바꿨다: 사랑/휴머니즘 타령과 피상적인 환경 설정에 집중하는 옛날 의학 드라마와 달리 이번엔 주목할 만한 요소는 그 훌륭한 직업묘사였다. 물론 완벽하지 않았지만 그 정도의 묘사를 보여주는 것이 벌써 놀라운 일이었다. NYPD와 함께 미국 드라마 시장을 살려주는 E.R.가 세계적인 트렌드로 만든 의학 드라마의 압박은 한국에서 벌써 현실이었다. 대단한 연기 (특히 이재룡, 내가 왕팬이 만든 전광렬, 독사 오욱철과 조경환), 현실적인 설정과 재밌는 캐릭터, 정말 기억할만 한 드라마였다.

문제는 그 후에 트렌디 드라마의 심연에 빠진 여의도는 그 드라마가 확립한 패턴을 따라가지 못했다. 의가형제는 흥미로운 케이스였다: 애초에 차인표와 장동건 투탑으로 가기로 했지만 결국 제2의 주인공은 내가 사는 이유의 손창민이 되었다 (참, 옳은 선택이었다). 애초의 컨셉은 한의와 양의에 집중하는 대결 구도였지만 결국 의학드라마인 척하는 또 다른 트렌디 드라마가 되었다, 좋은 연기 있음에도. 1998년의 해바라기도 같은 덫에 걸렸다. 그땐 마니아 드라마의 여왕이 아니고, 그냥 여고괴담 시리즈의 작가 인정옥은 드라마를 제대로 시작했지만 결국 이진석 드라마였기 때문인지 마봉춘이 그냥 가운 입은 트렌디 드라마를 원했는지 간에 갈수록 그 드라마도 안드로메다로 갔다. 하긴, 김희선이 주인공이라면 진지한 직업묘사를 아예 안 하는 것이 나알 것 같다.

왜 의학 드라마, 왜 지금? 내가 보기에 문제는 '왜'가 아니라, '언제'다. 미국에서도 그렇고 일본에서도 의학드라마는 중요한 장르가 되었으니 조만간 같은 상황은 한국에서도 일어날 거라고 생각했다. 일본에서 장르 다양성은 항상 중요했으니 의학드라마의 중요성은 별로 놀라운 일이 아니고, 미국이야 한 드라마만 성공한다면 20년 동안 1년에 200편 나올 수 있으니 무슨 소용이 있겠다. 근데 왜 갑자기 의학드라마는 드라마계의 새로운 트렌드가 되었을까? 이유는 잘 모르지만 (장르 다양성이겠지. 아니면 요즘 쓰레기 트렌디 드라마 안 땡기니까...), 벌써 걱정된다, 제작준비중 의학드라마가 너무 많아서. 벌써 방영하는 하얀거탑과 외과의사 봉달희, 종합병원 2, 이재규의 드라마, 이진석 PD도 그렇고, 이경희 작가도 그렇고.

장르의 폭이 넓어지면 얼마나 좋은 일인데, 하지만 중요한 것이 있다. 한마디만 하자면... 개념. 개념이 없다면 이것도 퓨전 사극의 멸망처럼 몇년 만에 정말 무섭게 끝날 수 있거나 빨리 안드로메다로 갈 수도 있고. 개념이 무엇일까? 사극에서 사관이라면 의학드라마에서 무엇일까... 의학이니까 직업묘사, 그 히포크라테스의 선서가 유명해진 '의사의 지령'. 수출용 한복 입은 순정만화 황진이와 무개념 역사 판타지 주몽은 좋은 경고였다: 그냥 트렌드의 겉에만 집중하면 드라마는 분명히 실패할 것이다. 어 물론... 높은 시청률과 돈돈돈 있겠지만, 허준이나 종합병원이 가지는 '명작'이라는 꼬리표는, 그건 시간 지날수록 지울 수 없는 보답이다.

역시 시즌제 드라마는 내 취향과 잘 맞지 않는다, 이래서 E.R나 C.S.I.같은 드라마는 질색이다 (물론 한때 스타트랙 열심히 봤고 요즘 24나 The Sopranos이라면 재밌게 보고 있지만). 갈수록 그 시리즈는 드라마가 아니라, 그냥 일과가 된다. 대부분 의학 드라마는 시즌제라 그리 많은 의학 드라마 보는 스타일이 아니다. 그래도 3 가지 예외가 있다. 하나는 바로 이 드라마의 원작, 일본판 하얀거탑, 하나는 최완규의 종합병원, 그리고 덴마크의 미친 걸작 킹덤.

리게트 (덴마크 대표적 병원의 별명)는 유명하지만 이상한 병원이다: 귀신 구급차도 있고, 의사보다 이 병원에 대한 모든 사실을 너무나 잘 아는 접시 닦는 다운 증후군 남매도 있다. 스웨덴인 신경의사 (사진!) 스티그는 참 독특한 사람이다: 첫 인상에는 따뜻한 늙은이의 냄새가 나지만 알고 보면 그는 천하의 까칠하고, 편협하고 타락한 의사다 (하긴, 그의 좌우명은 'Danskjävlar'이었다, '이 개같은 덴마크 놈들'). 이상하지? 더 이상한 일이 있다. 이 병원의 뿌리는 신비스럽고 안개가 자욱한 곳이고, 죽은 환자의 영혼은 병원의 쓰지 않은 층을 거주한다. 처음 2001년에 이 드라마를 봤을때 정말 충격적인 경험이었다. 아니 왜 이렇게 재밌느냐? 갑자기 라스 폰 트리어가 트윈 픽스같은 마을에 있는 E.R.같은 드라마를 찍었다면 뭐가 나왔을까? 바로 킹덤.

의학 드라마의 특징 (뭐, 대충), 공포 (무섭다! 가끔), 스릴러, 코미디 (덴마크어 할 줄 알았다면 더 재밌겠지만), 그리고 그 이상한 분위기. 나중에 스티븐 킹은 리메이크했지만 예상대로 한심했고, 최근에 OCN의 코마도 그 류의 방식에 집중했다면 하도 너무 지루해서 2부에 포기했다. 결국 이 같은 드라마는 내 인생의 가장 독특한 작품 중 하나가 되었다. 하지만 그냥 독특함이 아니라, 연기도 훌륭했고, 연출은 탄탄하고.... 잊을 수 없는 드라마였다. DVD는 여러 나라에서 출시했지만 그건 완성한 버전이 아니라, 편집된 '국제 버전'이랄까? 아무튼 다 보시길 바란다, 이것은 정말 죽이는 시리즈다.

그래도 하나만 선택한다면 종합병원이 바로 내 선택이 될 것이다. 벌써 말했듯이 그땐 드라마에 완전히 올인이 아니었지만 이 드라마와 몇 사극을 통해 드라마 중독자가 되었다. 이유는? 우선 매력적인 캐릭터 때문에: 단순한 선과 악의 전쟁이 아니고, 낭만주의자 대 현실주의자의 대결이랄까? 둘다 공감할 수 있는 의견이었지만 어떤 상황에 따라 그 의견 중의 하나만 올바른 의견이 되었다 (물론 그것도 맨날 바꾸는 상황이었다). 뭣보다 연기와 극본은 빛났다. 그땐 이재룡, 전광렬, 신은경, 그 배우 대해 아는 게 별로 없었다, 그저 '얼굴'이었으니까. 하지만 갈수록 그들의 카리스마 폭탄처럼 폭발했다. 놀라운 수준의 직업묘사, 탄탄한 연출, 쉽게 공감할 수 있는 스토리. 물론 '병원에서 연해질 하는 의사'의 스토리이기도 했지만, 느낌이 달랐다.

그땐 드라마의 전성기였으니 이렇게 좋은 드라마가 나타나는 것은 그리 놀라운 일이 아니었지만 최완규의 발군은 아무도 예측할 수 없는 일이었다. 최완규는 그냥 평범한 소설가 희망생 백수였다. 여러 실패 중의 그의 기회는 극본 공모였다: TV에서 광고를 보다가 바로 단막극을 썼고, 그 극본의 신선함을 통해 당선이 되었으며, 몇년 동안 보조작가의 인생을 살았다. 하지만 작가로서 그의 욕심 때문에 이것이 끝이 아니었다. 최윤석 감독 (우리들의 천국 바로 그 감독) 최작가한테 기회를 줬다: 그땐 최감독은 의학드라마 준비하고 있었으니 이 젊은 작가의 도움이 필요했다. 물론 진정한 극본은 다른 사람이 (유명한 작가) 쓰기로 했지만 그 작가는 너무 바빠서 결국 취재를 못했다. 최작가의 보답은? 한달에 그 드라마의 한편을 쓰는 것이.

최작가는 '그냥' 취재를 안 했다. 아예 몇 개월 동안 신촌 세브란스병원에 숙식했다, 워드프로세서는 그의 유일한 무기. 그 경험은 아마 최완규를 스타 작가로 만든 기회였다, 그 정도의 고생은 언제나 어떤 결과를 만들 수 밖에 없었다. 최작가는 의사들이 남긴 도시락은 먹고, 창고바닥에 박스를 깔고 잤었다, 무슨 짐승처럼. 하지만 결과는 너무나 현실적이고 죽이는 취재었다. 결과는 바로 나타났다: 갑자기 메인 작가에게 사정이 생겨 드라마를 포기했다가 결국 감독은 최작가한테 기회를 줬다. 그 순간때부터 최완규는 종합병원의 작가가 되었다. 사실 그 취재의 내용은 거의 다 직업묘사였다. 의사의 생활, 고생, 동료의식, 정치적 '작전'. 뭐, 그런 스타일. 하지만 한때 '사랑이 없다면 드라마를 어떻게 만들 수 있나?'의 시절이었으니 결국 최작가는 첫방 전에 그 극본을 고쳐야 했다.

1994년, 봄. 의학드라마 종합병원이 시작했다, 반응이 당연히 폭발적이었고. 그 정도의 직업묘사는 한국 드라마뿐만 아니라, 미국드라마에서도 보기 드문 일이었다. 그리고 뭣보다 이 드라마는 연기자의 발견의 위한 '공장'이 되었다: 신은경, 김지수, 전도연의 신선함; 이재룡, 전광렬, 홍리나의 사람 냄새나는 삼각관계; 이휘향, 조경환의 베테랑 포스. 환자를 배려하는 낭만주의자 이재룡과 까칠한 현실주의자 전괄렬의 대결은 너무나 재밌었다, 그 훌륭한 극본을 통해 둘다 자기네 관점을 잘 보여주었으니. 2년 동안 방송됐던 종합병원, 그때도 그렇고 지금도 의학드라마 중의 잊을 수 없는 걸작이었다.

3번째 걸작은 바로 우리 주인공이다, 일본판 하얀거탑.

白い巨塔 (하얀거탑)은 1963년에 일요 마이니치 메거진에서 출판한 시리즈였고, 야마자키 도요코는 소설로 옮기고 1965년에 출판하여 베스트셀러가 되었다. 1년 후에 영화도 개봉했다, 타미야 지로우는 주인공이었고. 타미야는 1960년대 초반때부터 다이에이가 만든 영화의 대표하는 미남 배우 중 하나였다. 영화는 대박 났으니 일년 후에 드라마도 되었다, 토에이가 제작했던 26회 드라마. 그래도 대표적인 영상화는 바로 1978년 후지TV 버전이었다. 자이젠 고로 역할은 역시 타미야 지로 맡았다, 하지만 아쉽게도 타미야는 종영 전에 엽총 자살했으니 더더욱 화제되는 드라마가 되었다 (마지막 회는 거의 32% 시청률 기록했다).

1990년 봄에 아사히TV는 또 다른 하얀거탑 버전 방송했지만 진정한 걸작은 바로 2003년 버전이었다. 기준 일본 드라마 방식과 달리 白い巨塔 (하얀거탑)은 21부작 드라마였고 (1부 10회, 2부 11회), 원작 있는 그대로 아우슈비츠 강제 수용소에서 찍었다. 결국 대단한 캐스팅 (국민배우 카라사와 토시아키와 에구치 요스케, 쿠로키 히토미, 이부 마사토 등등), 유명한 원작, 깊이 있는 스토리와 재밌는 캐릭터 설정 통해 최고의 일본 드라마 중 하나가 되었다. 최종회는 32%까지 기록했다, 일본에서 정말 천하의 대박 (큰 인기 있다고 해도 대부분 드라마는 20%도 돌파하지 못한다).

사실 캐릭터 설정 면에서 하얀거탑은 종합병원의 초반 스토리 전개와 공통점이 있다, 바로 그 낭만주의 vs 현실주의의 대결. 다만, MBC 드라마에서 핵심이 된 직업묘사보다 일본드라마는 좀 더 '가운 입은 정치드라마'에 가까운 케이스다. 자이젠에게는 권력과 성공은 제일 중요한 것이다, 욕망과 야망에 빠지는 천재. 그 반면 자이젠의 동기이면서 '보이지 않은 라이벌'이 된 사토미에게는 중요한 것이 바로 그 히포크라테스의 선서다, 환자를 위해 싸우는, 노력하는 '연구벌레'. 1부에서 핵심이 된 아즈마와 자이젠의 '의사로서의 승진 대결'은 정치 드라마의 특징과 다름이 없지만 2부에서는 그 히포크라테스의 선서는 바로 주인공이 된다.

의사로서의 책임감과 압박 (의료 과실 소송), 진정한 출세가 뭐신지 (명성이냐, 존경이냐? 권력이냐, 의학이냐?), 인간으로서 중요한 것이 뭐신지. 결국 그 선서 너머에 거탑이 있다. 아마 야마자키 작가의 의도는 '하얀 거탑'을 이용하면서 병원 (하얀) 안의 세력 구도 (거탑)를 회복시키는 것이었겠지만 내가 보기에 또 다른 의미가 있다. 바로 그 상아탑. 사토미나 자이젠이나 둘다 상아탑에 살고 있다. 사토미에게는 연구와 환자는 제일 중요한 것이 되었으나 남편으로서, 아버지로서 그는 실패했고, 자이젠은 출세 얻었지만 자기네 영혼을 팔아먹었다.

그런데 이 드라마는 그 두 캐릭터를 선악 양분에서 벗어났다, 둘다 매력이 있고 나름대로 공감할 수 있는 캐릭터였으니까. 종합병원에서 전광렬의 캐릭터처럼 자이젠의 성격 뒤에 원인이 있었고, 마지막 회에 그의 모습은 너무나 감동적인 이미지였다. 하얀 거탑의 꼭대기에 도달하면서 자이젠이 배웠던 것은 무엇이냐? 남극일기에서 송강호의 캐릭터처럼, 그 거탑의 꼭대기에 우리 안에 있었던 걸, 우리가 스스로 그 문제를 해결하지 않다면 꼭대기에 도달할 수 없는 곳이 될 수 있는 걸...

캐릭터 성격의 출처는 디씨 M갤이다. 나머지는 나의 해석이다.

장준혁 (김명민)

대학병원 일반외과 부교수

일본판: 자이젠 고로 (카라사와 토시아키)

성격 : 국내 최고 명문대 일반외과 부교수로 출세에 대한 욕망이 누구보다 강한 야심가로 의학인으로 전성기를 구가하며 의료사고로 닥친 위기도 위증으로 모면하며 욕망을 향해 질주한다

--->완벽한 선택이다. 명민본좌는 멋진 재벌 2세 타입 (꽃보다 아름다워)이나 장군님 (불멸의 이순신) 맡으면서 스타가 되었지만 사실 연기자로서 폭이 아주 넓다. 사람냄새 나는 '형님' (불량가족), 까칠한 형사 (거울 속으로), 미쳐가는 택시 기사 (소름), 뭣보다 뜨거운 것이 좋아에서 장준혁과 닮은 캐릭터 맡았다. 최진상도 욕심이 많은, 출세를 위해 다 할 수 있는 인간이었다. 캐릭터의 악마포스에 너무나 잘 어울리는 배우다, 할 말이 없네.

최도영 (이선균)

대학병원 소화기내과 부교수

일본판: 사토미 슈지 (에구치 요스케)

성격: 자상하고 친절하며 사려 깊은 의사다 야망으로 똘똘 뭉친 장준혁과 의대 동창 이자 사사건건 대립 각을 세운다

---> 드디어 여의도는 이 배우의 대단한 가능성을 인정하기 시작했다 (뭐, 벌써 30대지만 아직은 좋아질 수 있다, 배우로서). 태릉 선수촌, 손님은 왕이다와 도망자 이두용에서 보여준 카리스마와 자기네만의 색깔은 너무나 신선하고 반가운 느낌이었다. 연극 출신이라 카멜레온같은 배우가 되는 것이 거의 당연할 일이지만 결국 이 같은 역할은 기준 이선균 캐릭터와 달리 좀 덜 캐릭터의 특징 카리스마에 집중하고, 뭣보다 일종의 매시지를 위한 전달자랄까? 아무튼, 진정한 캐릭터의 포스는 중간부터 보여줄 것 같다, 스토리가 일본판 있는 그대로 간다면.

노민국 (차인표)

타 대학병원 일반외과 부교수

일본판: 키쿠가와 노보루 (사와무라 잇키)

성격: 해외파 의사로 내성적이고 사교성이 없지만 승부욕에 있어서는 강한 인물이다 수술에 관해서도 장준혁과 쌍벽을 이루며 일반외과 과장 자리를 놓고 장준혁과 경쟁을 벌인다

---> 여전히 기억이 별로 안 나지만 일본판에서 키쿠가와의 비중은 그리 크지 않았다. 차인표라... 뭐 아시다시피 안티가 많은 배우이며 연기 잘하는 배우는 아니다. 다만 나는 그의 노력과 욕심을 좋아한다: 재능이 없어도 배우로서 욕심이 있다면 조만간 (대단하지 않지만) 좋은 배우가 될 수 있다. 영화에서 여전히 개판이지만 (한반도... 휴...) 이상하게도 드라마에서 그리 나쁘지 않다. 별 기대 안 하지만 적어도 발연기 나오지 않을 것이다.

이윤진 (송선미)

이주완 딸

일본판: 아즈마 사에코 (야다 아키코)

성격: 최고 권위를 자랑하는 일반외과 교수의 딸로 어릴 적부터 봐온 의사 세계에 대한 염증으로 의사에게 시집 보내려는 부모에 반대하지만 학구파 의사 최도영을 만나 사랑에 빠진다

---> 몇년 전만해도 이 배우는 별로였지만 최근에 욕심이 나거나 결혼 때문에 갑자기 정신 차리거나... 이젠 괜찮은 배우가 되었다, 특히 부모님 전상서와 해변의 여인에서 연기 잘 했다. 너무 극단적인 캐릭터가 아니라면 잘할 것 같다.

민수정 (임성언)

장준혁 부인

일본판: 자이젠 쿄코 (와카무라 마유미)

성격: 화려한 미모와 부 허영기를 가진 여인으로 장준혁에게 사랑 받기를 포기한 대신 그가 이루어 가는 지위를 함께 누리고 싶어 한다 남편의 여자에 대해서도 초월해 살고자 했지만 강희재의 존재를 알게 되자 질투심에 사로 잡히게 된다

---> 아... 귀엽다, 성언양. 근데 연기는? 물론 아직은 경험이 없어서 그렇겠지만 발연기 나와도 (연개소문이야 발대본의 탓이기도 했다) 나중에 좋아질 수 있는 케이스인 것 같다, 성현아처럼? 어차피 지켜봐야할 것 같다, 판단하기에 너무 이른 상황이다. 다만 귀여운 부인 캐릭터라면 잘 어울릴 것 같다.

강희재 (김보경)

대학병원 방사선과 의사

일본판: 하나모리 케이코 (쿠로키 히토)

성격: 냉철한 성격의 소유자인 장준혁을 사랑한다 하지만 그를 소유하려 하지 않고 스릴있고 과감한 사랑을 나누며 위기에 처한 장준혁을 돕기도 하는 인물이다

---> 이게 일드에서 죽이는 역할이었지만... 한국버전으로 가면 어떨까? 김보경은 친구때 참 기대되는 배우였지만 요즘 좀 실망이다 (창공으로... -_-). 중요한 것은 연기 분명히 잘 하니 걱정 안 해도 될 것 같다.

조연 - 본좌리스트

이주완 (이정길) - 대학병원 일반외과 교수

우용길 (김창완) - 대학병원 소화기내과 교수 겸 의학부장

오경환 (변희봉) - 대학병원 병리과 교수

유필상 (이희도) - 의사회 회장

Funny that you should mention the chapter reviews. He did indeed mention in his blog that he will be doing periodic reviews for this drama, just as he did for some of the on-going Sageuks like Jumong, Hwang Jini etc... And the first of the segment was posted not too long ago. Its more of an introduction to the genre and what looks like a very well researched dissertation(?) on medical dramas, not solely Korean but also from the Western world.

Its reallllyy long, and I almost died reading it, given my proficiency (or lack thereof, rather) and his writing tone is rather hard to translate! I only wish he'd do the english translation to this as well, just like he did for Hwang Jini, but I suppose, there's no popular demand. Like I said, a few of us seemed to be locked in this tower. :P

"disseratation on medical dramas" :lol:

You got to hand it to X though for being so detailed and paying attention to everything in the drama, including the writers and directors and any comparisons to similar works.

It is a shame he doesn't do English translations of his writing anymore.

He actually stopped English translations of everything, including Hwang Jini.

I couldn't fully read or understand his last review of Hwang Jini because of that. :(

whitepowerve4.jpg

dcinside has a 하얀 거탑 board! http://gallery.dcinside.com/?id=whitepower

Guest suzziee

*LOL* we can really start staff meeting now, with dramaok, shirley and now jahye!

Yeah, its such a pity that he no longer writes on Twitch nor in English.

==================

I just watched episode 3 preview provided by Shirley and someone in it says "from now on, its a war." yayy! more conflict, power hunger and intelligent men!! :ph34r:

2001vb2.jpg

I heart HDTV... :blush:

Guest lunagal

I am thoroughly enjoying this drama. It is truly the first korean medical drama which has thoroughly researched the operating theatre and how people behave in it. As a medic, I always used to roll my eyes at the total inaccuracy of hospitals and doctors in Kdramas, but I was truly impressed with the attention to detail (bar 1 flaw- the fact that they preserved the beauty of the actress Song SunMi, by not putting tape over her eyes).

I am also really happy to see that it shows the political nature of doctors and hospitals. Not many outside the medical profession realise how political it is.

I love the internal machinations of all the doctors- everyone bar Dr Choi is mainly out for themselves. It seems appropriate that his wife stays out of the doctors'wives club.

Speaking of which- was anyone else rolling their eyes at the complete uselessness and farcity that was the Doctors' Wives club? Seriously do rich women in Korea have nothing better to do with their time?!! If they married into wealth and privilege, they should try to benefit others or do something worthwhile with their time, rather than the miniature version of the hospital political game.

As for the Deputy chief of the hospital- I really have to admire his acting. It's like watching a cobra at work, swaying from side to side, and unexpectedly striking, always keeping his opponents off-balance. Wow.

Dr Jang was a totally unsympathetic character to me, always out for himself and whats best for him, until I saw him ringing and caring after his mother. I guess it shows where his hungry and climber attitude comes from. He must have lived in poverty growing up and swore that he would not live like that when he was the master of his own destiny (my thoughts). So I guess I can understand and empathise with his behaviour.

As for Dr Choi- he I think symbolises the ideal doctor. Always looking out for the patients best interest, not there to propel himself forward. example is how his clinics always run late- its because he examines the patients so thoroughly. He is a doctor that I want to work towards being like.

Anyway, cannot wait for the next episode!!

I am thoroughly enjoying this drama. It is truly the first korean medical drama which has thoroughly researched the operating theatre and how people behave in it. As a medic, I always used to roll my eyes at the total inaccuracy of hospitals and doctors in Kdramas, but I was truly impressed with the attention to detail (bar 1 flaw- the fact that they preserved the beauty of the actress Song SunMi, by not putting tape over her eyes).

I am also really happy to see that it shows the political nature of doctors and hospitals. Not many outside the medical profession realise how political it is.

I love the internal machinations of all the doctors- everyone bar Dr Choi is mainly out for themselves. It seems appropriate that his wife stays out of the doctors'wives club.

Speaking of which- was anyone else rolling their eyes at the complete uselessness and farcity that was the Doctors' Wives club? Seriously do rich women in Korea have nothing better to do with their time?!! If they married into wealth and privilege, they should try to benefit others or do something worthwhile with their time, rather than the miniature version of the hospital political game.

As for the Deputy chief of the hospital- I really have to admire his acting. It's like watching a cobra at work, swaying from side to side, and unexpectedly striking, always keeping his opponents off-balance. Wow.

Dr Jang was a totally unsympathetic character to me, always out for himself and whats best for him, until I saw him ringing and caring after his mother. I guess it shows where his hungry and climber attitude comes from. He must have lived in poverty growing up and swore that he would not live like that when he was the master of his own destiny (my thoughts). So I guess I can understand and empathise with his behaviour.

As for Dr Choi- he I think symbolises the ideal doctor. Always looking out for the patients best interest, not there to propel himself forward. example is how his clinics always run late- its because he examines the patients so thoroughly. He is a doctor that I want to work towards being like.

Anyway, cannot wait for the next episode!!

I think the best part of the drama, aside from some new medical terms that i have been learning lately, is really the political nature of the game that is in the hospital game of climbing on up on the totem pole. Partly money, ambition, research grants, and what not, i feel as though its groveling in its highest and sophisticated form. Speaking from experience, hospital politics, especially among doctors are the worst. When one huge ego bashes against the other, AYEEEEE back out of the room or get some popcorn and enjoy the ride.

My aunt in korea is part of that doctors' club and guaging from what she has told me and from what i have observed, its really an opportunity for networking more than anything else.

Guest dramaok

I think the best part of the drama, aside from some new medical terms that i have been learning lately, is really the political nature of the game that is in the hospital game of climbing on up on the totem pole. Partly money, ambition, research grants, and what not, i feel as though its groveling in its highest and sophisticated form. Speaking from experience, hospital politics, especially among doctors are the worst. When one huge ego bashes against the other, AYEEEEE back out of the room or get some popcorn and enjoy the ride.

yeah.. and not just in medical profession really.. in law.. in academia.. in military.. actually in many profession.. the political game that you play under the table governs what goes on on the surface.. such is the reality.. and this drama is so great in capturing this.. it's almost spooky.. and the pity is most ppl don't start out w/ a total bad intention.. sometimes you sell your soul to the devil and soon you have no control as you are wrapped in 人情 and 빚... just like the deputy director.. he thinks he has control but he needs to pay his debt too in order to climb to the director position..

kim myeong-min is such an amazing actor. i know it's a known fact.. but in ep. 3 he goes from a beaten newbie.. totally stripped.. to recover showing what he is made of.. and suddenly he is standing taller than anyeone else like a great tower.. so in awe... of him.

and dr. choi. :wub: seriously i think his voice alone can impregnant some women.. :ph34r: he continues to stand by his principle and does not waver.. even if he has to lose his grants.. because it is enough that he is honest to himself. a man of integrity is so lonely sometimes.. but i think dr. lee will soon form a camp w/ the pathology doc.. dr. yoo (dr. choi's unofficial mentor).. and maybe they are setting up dr. choi vs. dr. jang in the future.. it's like pinning power against truth.. the feared vs. the respected.. so juicy.

-------

today's tns nationwide rating: (jan. 13th, 2006)

mbc. white tower (12.0%) +2% from 1/7/07

vs. same timeslot:

kbs. dae jo-yeong (15.2%) -7.8%

sbs. queen of the game (15.9%) +1.2%

yeah.. and not just in medical profession really.. in law.. in academia.. in military.. actually in many profession.. the political game that you play under the table governs what goes on on the surface.. such is the reality.. and this drama is so great in capturing this.. it's almost spooky.. and the pity is most ppl don't start out w/ a total bad intention.. sometimes you sell your soul to the devil and soon you have no control as you are wrapped in 人情 and 빚... just like the deputy director.. he thinks he has control but he needs to pay his debt too in order to climb to the director position..

kim myeong-min is such an amazing actor. i know it's a known fact.. but in ep. 3 he goes from a beaten newbie.. totally stripped.. to recover showing what he is made of.. and suddenly he is standing taller than anyeone else like a great tower.. so in awe... of him.

and dr. choi. :wub: seriously i think his voice alone can impregnant some women.. :ph34r: he continues to stand by his principle and does not waver.. even if he has to lose his grants.. because it is enough that he is honest to himself. a man of integrity is so lonely sometimes.. but i think dr. lee will soon form a camp w/ the pathology doc.. dr. yoo (dr. choi's unofficial mentor).. and maybe they are setting up dr. choi vs. dr. jang in the future.. it's like pinning power against truth.. the feared vs. the respected.. so juicy.

-------

today's tns nationwide rating: (jan. 13th, 2006)

mbc. white tower (12.0%) +2% from 1/7/07

vs. same timeslot:

kbs. dae jo-yeong (15.2%) -7.8%

sbs. queen of the game (15.9%) +1.2%

I havent watched ep 3 yet, cant find it in any of the cbs so far but i totally agree with you about how being self righteous is also another byword for being lonely. But for Dr. Choi i would be lonely right up there with him. :blush:

I also think that its also another matter of paying your debts to be at the top, one wonders if it is actually necessary and at what cost. The elder ones have paid it, perhaps with their souls and dignity, and will also expect it from their residents too. Everyone eventually learns how to play the game but what tricks they use to do so is another question altogether.

I must add that lately there seems to be many medical dramas lately, i suppose a grey's anatomy domino effect here, but im eager to see how Lee Bum Soo's new drama will be like compared to this one.

Guest suzziee

^Speaking of many new medical dramas, wasn't there also much talk about General Hospital 2? I ran a brief search on Naver and it seems like it was supposed to have aired maybe 2/3 months from now but still no word... Maybe they decided thats too many similar themed dramas at one go? But having heard comments about how great General Hospital was, I'm really anticipating no.2

And Dr. Choi.... every time I watch him onscreen... its like :tears: Especially when you put him side-by-side to Kim Myung Min's character... You can smell defeat a mile off. His character reminds me of Suh byeon (KSK in "Lawyers") Both men try to see life in very clear shades of black and white... going all the way and putting their belief 100% in this so-called concept of "justice" and "logic". But while Suh byeon was a much stronger character who manages to somehow, rise above all that stuff like conspiracies and politics, Dr Choi is dragged through the mud without wanting to be part of anything, thinking this is "right". But what is right? Sacrificing his research project approval (which I suppose could potentially save people) just to protect what he thinks is right? Sometimes, I just wish he'd play the game to protect himself (and the greater good I suppose) more. but arrrgghhh....

I haven't yet had the opportunity to watch ep.3- I'm about to go and download.. which means a few hours more of waiting -_-. Spoilers anyone? :P

Guest Dahee Fanel

Ahhh, I'm getting more and more excited about this drama, especially after reading MisterX's preview. I'd better start watching it tonight! *runs away*

(By the way, episode three is in my clubbox right now.)

esp 4 preview

~

http://swf.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/whitepo...1/preview_4.swf

dr lunagal .is also in here ^>.~ ..he will be also those kind of doctors i hope is in charge of me should i end up in hospital .someone who does respect the patients and really does cared .

i agree . not only in this medicial profession ..in all other profesion ..the political game is a reality ..it seem like a cycle .once you become a players in the game ..it seem that you are forever caught in the mist of it ...the debts you owed to others to get where you are .eventually become a hold over you .

dr choi ..was not a player of the game .that why he was spared to become what dr jang become .both entered the hospital the same way .with i think the same intention ...to practise their beliefs. maybe they have difference attidues towards it of personality .but ..dr jang .i understand why he become the way he is ....sometimes i even think it abit unfair of how the mentor of his is stabbing him behind his back ..dr jang just playing him back at his own game ......and to win this game ..you need to find the right person to back you .. ..he has them now ..

in esp 3 ~~ ...seeing him in painc and fear of losing his position . [ like a beaten dog .] .and bowing and even doing whatever it needs to get into the favour of dr. yoo pil-sang [ i noticed how he actually did not have a high opinion of this man whom his father in law seek for help then instantly change his attidtue when he saw how this dr yoo .was speaking to dr. woo yong-gil ?on the phone i think ..] kmm is just so great in this portrayl ..`~ ..

------------------------------------------

...i have some questions ! for esp 3 ~~ !

1. the deputy director was speaking with dr. lee ju-wan [ dr jang's mentor ] after the phone call at the start

what were they talking about ?

2. there this dinner between dr leeju wan and the depart of surgey ..what was he speaking that they whisper among themselves ..[ lol funnie when he was pausing and thinking over something and did not drink his wine and the rest were just waiting for him to drink before they even dare to drink first ] = dr jang was absent ...he was at the dinner with his father in law and dr yoo .trying to get out the crisis of his transfer

3. after the dinner ...dr jang went back to the hospital..and went into dr choi lab seeing him hard at work again ~ ..er what was he saying to him ..?[ sometimes i wonder if dr jang dun envy dr choi for being able to just be what he wants to be sigh ]

4. dr. oh kyeong-hwan met deputy director in the lift ..i wondered what he speak to him that make him raise his head up .~ .

5. ohh and that climax of the esp .when .father in law and dr yoo ..trying to get dr yoo to not transfer dr jang was it..~~ ..i think e intially refuse but then dr yoo was really good at manuplicating him ..amazing how this deputy director also had a certain weaknesss ...what was it that was being said to him that make him turn around ....

gosh now the camp is formed .~~!~ .....they are all in this together now ..

6. dr choi did not get his grant .~~! why did they reject him .because the deputy director did something ? .what was it that he said to the person who came to tell him the news .i think the person really want to help him and also did not understand why it ended up being rejected .? .

7...at the last 5 min ...prof lee[ his mentor ] was speaking to dr jang ..what was it they were speaking of ..ah the change of expression .was intense ..dr jang had gathered his own confidence.

:blush: thanks in advance for anyone who can helps to answer ~^^

Kim Myung Min - the guy that captured my heart in More Beautiful Than A Flower...what a drama!

Hi Shirley!....simply couldn't resist coming on this thread..I knew this was coming on, just didn't know when....Dahee dear, so happy to see you here! Bellaangel! Good to see you here too! And that is Dramaok from the JUMONG land correct? Your notes on the JUMONG thread is so appreciated by all there!

Now that my Naueri Lee Seo Jin's drama LOVERS is over...EDIT!!!! Boinking in order!!..I sure hope With S2 will take subbing of this drama up, well I will definitely pray, hope and have all my fingers and toes crossed!

I thought the Japanese version of White Tower was simply Amazing, Solid and impressive from the start till the very end....think it would also help me to understand the what's happeing in the drama easier when reading inputs from you guys. It is a rather complicated superbly crafted story and if not for reading Il Mare's review of it by accident, I would have not gotten into it. Now with the Korean version has Kim Myung Min *coughs* *coughs*...I have no doubt we are in for a humongous treat!!!

Wonder the Korean version had retained the very captivating scene of the MORNING ROLL CALL..ward visit...from the Japanese version.all the jing jang team of Doctors/Surgeons of all ranks striding into each ward following the head huncho Chief...I found it totally awesome!! ...it so drove the momentum of the drama!!

*See you all*

Cheers, E

I thought the Japanese version of White Tower was simply Amazing, Solid and impressive from the start till the very end....think it would also help me to understand the what's happeing in the drama easier when reading inputs from you guys. It is a rather complicated superbly crafted story and if not for reading Il Mare's review of it by accident, I would have not gotten into it. Now with the Korean version has Kim Myung Min *coughs* *coughs*...I have no doubt we are in for a humongous treat!!!

Wonder the Korean version had retained the very captivating scene of the MORNING ROLL CALL..ward visit...from the Japanese version.all the jing jang team of Doctors/Surgeons of all ranks striding into each ward following the head huncho Chief...I found it totally awesome!! ...it so drove the momentum of the drama!!

*See you all*

Cheers, E

hi~~ good to see u here .

ya it did retain the morning ward inspection scene ..the whole fleet of doctors who will follow the head of department ..but it also show how the power shift is like .~~

i used to rave about the jversion white tower in a site ilmare used to be ..~

here a scene of kmm in esp 3 ` make to sing .beause they trying to enteratin the man who can help him get out of the crisis to be transfer ..must feel like such a clown but still he was more troubled about his uncertain future .then about humiliation .. .

http://flvs.daum.net/flvPlayer.swf?vid=vNJgmAlHCBw$

clip from a TV programe on white tower .. 2 min long

http://kr.img.dc.yahoo.com/b3/data/dci_etc...0070113_597.wmv

Guest dramaok

2. there this dinner between dr leeju wan and the depart of surgey ..what was he speaking that they whisper among themselves ..[ lol funnie when he was pausing and thinking over something and did not drink his wine and the rest were just waiting for him to drink before they even dare to drink first ] = dr jang was absent ...he was at the dinner with his father in law and dr yoo .trying to get out the crisis of his transfer

dr. lee announced to the interns and the surgery doc that dr. jang will be going to their branch office soon. everyone's shocked. then dr. lee downplays it by saying jang is only going away for a little while to help them out but will be visiting often and coming back in some time..

--------

ep.3:

gkdisrjxkqthegreatwhitegp7.jpg

lee: but why is professor jang suddenly doing this?

woo: he himself came to that decision, so how would i know.. in fact i thought something happened w/ you for him to do so..

lee: what? oh no.. nothing w/ me..

woo: hehe.. he came on his own foot and asked to go. so i approved.. but i'm a bit worried too.. actually since other might think i made him..

lee: oh you worry about that.. then i'll step up and talk to them (the other doc's)..

woo: ah.. well if you would do that then i'll be thankful.

-------

gkdisrjxkqthegreatwhitexk2.jpg

jang: ah.. but why is life so hard...

choi: cuz you mind yourself w/ useless things. keep yourself focused on the duty of a physician.. then it won't be as hard.

jang: i can't live like that..

choi: then it'll get harder for you in the future.

jang: i came to the wrong place..

-------

[mr. kim from the pharmaceutical tells dr. choi their company is withdrawling financial support in dr. choi's research.. (since dr. choi has ruffled dr. woo's feathers, and the company doesn't want to get on dr. woo's bad side.. for fear he might discontinue using their medicines at the hospital)..

but mr. kim says he has enough small power to get him a few machines here there to sustain the research until things quiet down and they can invest in the research again openly)

gkdisrjxkqthegreatwhiteqe4.jpg

choi: rep. kim. thank you. and thank the president for me. .but there's no secret in the world.. and we don't have to do our research in secret.. no matter when.. when you can support it openly.. then come back..

kim: but professor this is what everyone else does..

choi: even if it's just us.. let's do it right. (smiles) thank you...

-------

[in an upcoming expo by young-in university hospital, origianlly dr. lee's name was going to be the sponsor name on the invitations, but jang joonhyeok suddenly changes his mind and tells dr. lee they are using deputy director dr. woo's name, w/ the excuse that it will attract more ppl since dr. woo's the deputy director, but dr. lee tells jang to change it back but jang says it's too late since the invitations are already out (actually it's not).. and lee gets pissed and accuses jang of never following his order and discounting him as his boss, but jang insists he is always tryign to follow lee's teaching.. ]

gkdisrjxkqthegreatwhiteed6.jpg

gkdisrjxkqthegreatwhitevi7.jpg

lee: if you continue this.. even if i want to name you as my successor .. it could not happen, what will you do then?

jang: that won't happen.. but if it does.. i will not sit back and suffer either.

============

hi teileen2. welcome.

Guest dramaok

ep. 4 [jan. 14, 2007]

mbc 'white tower'

nationwide: 14.7% seoul: 15.4%

vs. kbs dae-jo-yeong (20.5% / 20.4%)

and sbs 'queen of game' (13.2% / 13.7%)

http://www.tnsmk.com/

----------

ep. 4...

despite the intensity of the drama, there are some really funny moments. i found this scene funny for some reason..

whitepowere04hdtvxvidesob9.jpg

whitepowere04hdtvxvideswl8.jpg

whitepowere04hdtvxvidesss3.jpg

did anyone else think he might be faking it?

whitepowere04hdtvxvideska7.jpg

whitepowere04hdtvxvidestu2.jpg

whitepowere04hdtvxvidesyw3.jpg

whitepowere04hdtvxvideskm3.jpg

whitepowere04hdtvxvidesnx0.jpg

whitepowere04hdtvxvidesle8.jpg

whitepowere04hdtvxvidesfx3.jpg

how he wants to reach the sun for his mother.. but she just wants him to be happy.

Archived