English title: The Double
Genre: Historical, romance

Director: Lv Hao Ji Ji, Bai Yun Mo, Ma Shi Ge
Screenwriter: Ren Ya Nan
Producer: Yu Zheng
Episodes: 40
Broadcast network: Youku
Broadcast period:Jun 2-22, 2024

Note: Adapted from the web novel "Marriage of the Di Daughter" (嫡嫁千金) by Qian Shan Cha Ke (千山茶客)

Cast:

Main Cast
Wu Jin Yan as Xue Li
Li Mei Yi Bing as Xue Fangfei (young)
Wang Xing Yue as Xiao Heng
Chen Xin Hai as Ye Shijie

Supporting Cast
Liu Xie Ning as Jiang Ruoyao
Chen Qiao En as Ji Shuran
Yang Chao Yue as Jiang Ruoyu
Jiang Yi Yi as Situ Jiu Yue
Qi Hang as Lai Biao
Li Meng as Princess Wan Ning
Su Ke as Jiang Yuanbo
Zhang Yu Qi as Wu Lan
Chen Yu Xian as Jiang Yu'e
Zhang Meng as Dai Yun
Zhang Bai Qiao as Feng Yutang
Li Xin Ze as Li Lian
Dong Xuan as Ye Zhenzhen
Zhang Yao as Xue Zhao
Wang Xi Chao as Li Jin
Liang Yong Qi as Shen Yurong
Zhang Xiao Wan as Yun Shuang
Ning Xiao Hua as Zhang Sheng
Guan Le as Xiang Qiao
Kong Xue Er as Zhi Yan
Wu Jia Yi as Qiong Zhi
He Hong Shan as Ye Jia'er
Fan Tian Tian as Mother Sun

Synopsis:

Xue Li, the daughter of a well-off and content county magistrate, loses everything after a major upheaval. Saved by her benefactor, Jiang Ruo Yu, the daughter of the Minister of Rites, she returns to the capital city in Jiang Ruo Yu's identity. With the help of people like Xiao Heng, the Duke of Suguo, she overcomes numerous challenges, continually fights against injustice.

credit: MDL

Trailer:

coming soon

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods. Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, YouTube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here. Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their ID/IDs reported to the mods. Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs (those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like Viki, Dramafever or Crunchyroll) will have their ID reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions. PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

For any Issues and Abuse @SC2019

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • SC2019 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama] The Double 墨雨云间 premieres June 2, starring Wu Jing Yan & Wang Xing Yue

Wow, this looks epic and bloody, hehe. I must confess, I to this point thought WJY is an actress of one role. May be she will prove me wrong with this one. WXY is his usual self, edgy and "complicated" ))). Will try to check it when it premieres)

• Like 2

On 5/31/2024 at 7:51 AM, leo2020 said:

Wow, this looks epic and bloody, hehe. I must confess, I to this point thought WJY is an actress of one role. May be she will prove me wrong with this one. WXY is his usual self, edgy and "complicated" ))). Will try to check it when it premieres)

@leo2020  Agree with you.  I just finished Ep 1.   WJY is a bit too old & not pretty enough for this role.  What to do?  It is a YZ's production.  Nevertheless, it looks exciting.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2024 at 2:58 PM, hush puppy said:

@leo2020  Agree with you.  I just finished Ep 1.   WXY is a bit too old & not pretty enough for this role.  What to do?  It is a YZ's production.  Nevertheless, it looks exciting.

I've watched 10 episodes already. There are things I really like, and there are some moments we're I think they overdid it, either with intense music or with color or with slo-mo. But overall - a pretty captivating production and plot. 

FL is doing OK, and WXY looks mature enough, thus believable to be her ML. 

There are also a lot of familiar faces among the cast. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

On 6/7/2024 at 7:58 PM, hush puppy said:

@leo2020  Agree with you.  I just finished Ep 1.   WXY is a bit too old & not pretty enough 

Agree. Sorry to sound shallow but I get taken out of the story whenever her face appears close up to fill the screen. There are a lot of close up shots in this drama which is very distracting for me. And that Gu Qin playing segment was really ‘what am I watching here’ moment for me.

The beginning 2 episodes were so promising - dark, moody revenge story, then the mood changed as the drama progressed. Now it is a slapstick comedy ==“.

I am only continuing to watch this drama because of Wang Xing Yue, and also because I enjoyed the original novel.

• Love 1
  • Blob 2

@leo2020   @omiki  Glad to have both of you here.  I have watched up to  Ep 15.

Most of the Supporting Casts are alright: the evil Stepmother and her 2 lovely daughters.  And all the other gentlemen and ladies, both old and young.

But I have an issue with the Female & Male Leads.   

Wu Jin Yan (FL) :

Wu Jin Yan is obviously too old for this role.  Especially when she is in a Close-Up Scene with the ML.  I would prefer the FL to be Prettier than the 2 step sisters.  Otherwise, it takes away the Excitement of the Revenge !  Her performance is mediocre. 

(Has she done something with her "Mouth"?  It looks different now when she talks.  In "The Story Of Yanxi Palace", she looks Funny whenever she talks.  Like she requires a Lot of Efforts to move her mouth)

When an Actress gets older, they should have the Wisdom and Grace to turn down plots that require them to act too Young.  

Wang Xing Yue (ML) :

When I first saw him in an earlier drama of him, I was impressed.   But now I am not.

Is he dubbed?   Because each time he speaks, the Voice does not seem to belong to him.  So it is very Distractive for me.

He is too young to act Tough and Matured.  So he Does Not come across as Menacing to me.  It makes me Laugh instead.  An older actor would be more Convincing.

But then, as I have said, this is a Yu Zheng's production.  He wants to use his stable of artistes - whether suitable or not.

So I continue to be more enchanted by the Supporting Casts.

(My Apology to the Fans of Wang Xing Yue).

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

45 minutes ago, hush puppy said:

He wants to use his stable of artistes 

Agree, just like Jaywalk and H&R Century Pictures tend to do very often. 

1 hour ago, hush puppy said:

Close-Up Scene

Honestly in this drama many close-up scenes make me really :crazy:. I'm not a fan of overuse of camera filters, but in some of those scenes to see the actor's pores/skin imperfections under tonns of make-up is really uncomfortable.

• Like 3

On 6/11/2024 at 10:05 AM, omiki said:

Agree. Sorry to sound shallow but I get taken out of the story whenever her face appears close up to fill the screen. There are a lot of close up shots in this drama which is very distracting for me. And that Gu Qin playing segment was really ‘what am I watching here’ moment for me.

The beginning 2 episodes were so promising - dark, moody revenge story, then the mood changed as the drama progressed. Now it is a slapstick comedy ==“.

I am only continuing to watch this drama because of Wang Xing Yue, and also because I enjoyed the original novel.

@omiki   Totally agree with your Assessment.  As usual, it looks promising at the start.  And then loses its focus as the story proceeds.

Both the Male & Female Leads were "Dubbed".   Wu Jing Yan's performance is Mediocre.  Wang Xing Yue is very Robotic.  And there is no Emotional Chemistry between them.  So for me, this Drama fails.

• Like 2

Wow! I'm loving this drama so far!  I really like the acting of the FL.  The ML doesn't seem as natural in his role, but I still love it.  I'm really into revenge dramas and I am truly enjoying the execution of the revenge plots.  I'm looking forward to the FL and ML working together on their schemes and how they will tie into the double revenge plots.        

Edited by Banshee Dragon

There are some silly moments in the show but I am so enjoying the dialogue between the leads and other characters - lots of double entendres and double speak. It’s a treat to watch characters that are intelligent hatch plans and manoeuvre around challenges. The leads are very likeable and relatable so it’s easy to root for them. Even with the age difference, I don’t see impediments to acting - ML is pretty mature for his age, and FL holds her own very well. Their characters develop through the episodes and layers get peeled back to show more - it’s both intriguing and satisfying. 

A lot are watching cos of Wang Xing Yue - he’s doing the cold, ruthless, calculating well. The posters of his intense stares that keep popping up in social media and Yu Zheng’s promo of his artiste sure helped. I have to admit they are beguiling. :) He dubs himself too - nice voice. No wonder this is considered his breakthrough role. 

Give it a chance if you haven’t yet had the opportunity. :)

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

On 6/20/2024 at 12:14 AM, rocat said:

The leads are very likeable and relatable so it’s easy to root for them. Even with the age difference, I don’t see impediments to acting - ML is pretty mature for his age, and FL holds her own very well. Their characters develop through the episodes and layers get peeled back to show more - it’s both intriguing and satisfying. 

200.gif?cid=09287e489jceuu8k31tiqk1ia0q7

adding while waiting for ep 36 @rocat👋

• Awesome 1

Hi everyone. Just finished watching. Should say

Spoiler

the draggy and unnecessary after-marriage part of ep 40 spoiled my overall impression of this drama. 

The cast is obviously the strongest "part" of this production. Overall I'll give it a 9 for acting.

I wish Liang Yong Qi and Li Meng have a modern drama together as leads. Their onscreen chemistry is great). I saw their modern-style photos for the drama promotion, and ohhh, they rock:D.

Also congrads to Wang Xing Yue who obviously got a  break through role for himself. 

A pleasant surprise was to see Yang Chao Yue's performance as real Jiang Li. 

• Blob 1

I'm finished watching and I think it's ok.

A bit overdone on the dramatic flourishes.

I like the male lead but not familiar with the female lead. 

I loved the cameos of other actors.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

A reviewer I follow and I think she was spot on. An excerpt, of course I had to pick the part on the Duke :blush: :

Duke Su must be be every scorned woman's ultimate fantasy "consolation" prize. This magnificent specimen of manhood is highly born, tall, dark, handsome, powerful, and with a diabolical mind to match Xue Fangfei's. The icing on the cake is this sexy beast that wields a fan more effectively than a sword does not come saddled with nasty in-laws. Wang Xingyue's potent portrayal of Duke Su is spot on from the tinge of humor that belies his stern expression, his double entendre laced dialogues to how in unguarded moments his eyes devour Xue Fangfei with almost indecent longing. Despite the seductive build up and combustive chemistry between the main leads, the ultimate pay-off to their slow burn courtship falls far short of wild and wicked and only delivers a chaste candle-gate moment.

https://mydramalist.com/profile/ywwan/reviews?sort=recent

@joccu This! :)

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

• SC2019 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2024] The Double 墨雨云间
  • 2 weeks later...