[Drama 2023] The Matchmakers - 혼례대첩

rocher22

Ep. 8: The interactions between the main leads continue to be cute. I wonder if her identity as the Left State Minister Daughter-in-law will be revealed next episode. 

Obviously, the matchmaking dates will not go as planned since most of the couples are liking other people. It looks like, yes, they are pairing the 14yr old Crown Prince with 24 yr old Eldest daughter, which I find uncomfortable. I don't like age gap couples in general, and I especially don't like it when they do it with young teenagers. 

Who is the man looking for the Friend with the daughter? Also, is the friend with the daughter the Oldest Daughter-in-law who was murdered by the FL mother-in law? If so, wouldn't the Female Lead's son be the friend's biological child? I'm confused on this side plot.

Otherwise, Ep. 9 preview seems to have much angst. Hopefully, the comedy will not go away completely for the second half of the drama.

3 hours ago, Table122000 said:

I don't like age gap couples in general, and I especially don't like it when they do it with young teenagers. 

me too...

I thought Hana's match would be the prince Junseng...

The Bachelor 12(Hana's match), does he belong to the royal family?... :unsure:

3 hours ago, Table122000 said:

Who is the man looking for the Friend with the daughter? Also, is the friend with the daughter the Oldest Daughter-in-law who was murdered by the FL mother-in law? If so, wouldn't the Female Lead's son be the friend's biological child? I'm confused on this side plot.

this part is so intriguing... 

F_6iWI8aIAAAjYy?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 1

The case of the murder of the Eldest Son is very complicated.

So Lady Yeoyu and her husband were accused of the murder. 

I think the slave hunter doesnt want to hurt the Lady but he wants to find out the real truth.

Finally, SD, JW and the Captain are going to work on the case together...

Poor JW... but I laughed so much.... :D

the swing scene.... :lol:

F__25dAa4AAJJcR?format=jpg&name=360x360

F__25fHbsAA2mTz?format=jpg&name=360x360

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 4:26 AM, Table122000 said:

Yes, that couple was too cute this episode. Although I have to question FL abilities as a matchmaker if she couldn't see how much those two liked each other.

I had the same question. The Romance tropes by the river of Eldest Maid catching the Crown Prince and then the long stare was a huge turnoff for me. Are they really going to match up a 14 yr old boy with a 24 yr old woman? Yuck!

icegif-357.gif 

I was planning to catch up on the drama but now I have lost all motivation. yikes! 

On 11/23/2023 at 5:39 PM, rocher22 said:

I guess it will be his one-sided love and maybe the Eldest Daughter will become the CP's maid.  

Although, from the perspective of the time, even if he married her as his concubine

it would not be strange especially since he is the CP. :sweatingbullets:

can understand if this is some historical accurate drama that was telling a slice of history about a political marriage. however, this is just a fantasy drama and the name of the drama is matchmakers. the theme is supposed to be good matches romantically. would audience accept such a pairing? what about broadcast authority?? :grimace:

• Like 2

On 12/7/2023 at 1:01 AM, tulip06 said:

Is anyone watching this show in the UK or in Europe? I am going there for two weeks. I want to know where I can watch it.

Am not watching it. @agenth might be though and she's also located in Europe like me.

I think it's streaming on Viki, if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2023 at 10:00 AM, Lmangla said:

I was planning to catch up on the drama but now I have lost all motivation. yikes!

On 11/28/2023 at 4:03 PM, rocher22 said:

me too...

I thought Hana's match would be the prince Junseng...

Sorry to be late responding here... real life got in the way. Yes, the decision to make a romantic pairing between the 14 year old Crown Prince and 24 year old Oldest Maid Ha Na was very uncomfortable for many viewers, me included. Watching actors who have a real-life age gap of 17 years (he is 12, she is 29) just made it worse.

The writers did not have to include it in this drama which is a fantasy rom com using historical backdrop with a fictional royal family, not a straight saeguk. Following history isn't necessary. This particular subplot could have been handled differently. At the very least, they could have aged up the CP a few years. Make him 17-18 to her 24. At least then he would not be a minor. The decision to promote a pairing of a minor and an adult was for me a writing fail in an otherwise enjoyable series. 

It was interesting to me that even the people who were okay with this pairing (Saying that marriages between minors and adults happened in the Joseon era and they accepted this pairing within that context) were making excuses in their own heads, saying that even though the CP-Ha Na were married, the marriage wouldn't be consummated until CP was "older." So, in my opinion, actually nobody liked this subplot which was totally unnecessary. 

Overall, this drama was okay.

Things I liked: I liked the comedy, characters had depth, villain was a layered character, happy ending for everyone, including the old batchelors who were not chosen and the friend with the daughter. Sweet romance between the two leads, and cute moments for the other couples. 

Things I didn't like: Creepy and unnecessary pairing of a minor and adult subplot. Drama had a slow pace and was draggy and boring at times, palace politics/mystery elements were confusing at times, as were the relationships between some characters, disappointing kiss scenes between main leads, the ending, while happy, was a little unsatisfying. 

I don't regret watching this drama, but I don't think I will be rewatching it over and over again. It was more of a "watch it once" drama for me.

• Like 2

hohstMN.gif

Happy New Year! It's time again for our annual Soompi Forums Awards.

Which dramas were your favorite in 2023?

Vote here for Poll #1:

Your Event Organizers

• ferily changed the title to [Drama 2023] The Matchmakers - 혼례대첩