[Drama 2023] The Matchmakers - 혼례대첩

rocher22

KBS2 Drama

The Matchmakers

혼례대첩

The_Matchmakers-p2.jpg

Drama : The Matchmakers /Wedding Battle (literal tittle)

Hangul : 혼례대첩

Writer :  Ha Soo Jin

Network : KBS2

Episodes : 16

Release Date : October 30, 2023

Runtime : Monday & Tuesday @ 21:50 KST

Plot Synopsis

Sim Jung-Woo (Ro Woon) is an intelligent and handsome young man. He was the youngest to place first in the state examination, but he was picked to become the princess' husband. During their wedding ceremony, the princess suddenly died. Sim Jung-Woo's life changed and he became the most unfortunate man. According to the Joseon period custom, he is not able to take the government post and he can't remarry. He then becomes involved with Jung Soon-Deok (Cho Yi-Hyun).

Jung Soon-Deok is a widow whose late husband was the second son of the first vice-premier. She secretly leads another life under the pseudonym of Yeojoo-daek. As Yeojoo-daek, she works as a matchmaker and also peddler of women's items like cosmetics and accessories. She is the best matchmaker in the capital city of Hanyang. Sim Jung-Woo and Jung Soon-Deok become involved with each other and they try to get older single men and women to marry as matchmakers. (Source: Asianwiki)

Main Cast

Rowoon as Jung Woo

image.jpeg

Cho Yi Hyun as Soon Deok

image.jpeg

Trailer

01.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!

Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. 

Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, Youtube, etc.. should be reported to their respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  Viki, Viu,Dramafever, ) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Like 1

The story will be complicated. JW's father and SD's father-in-law are brothers or belong to the same clan.

So the main couple belong to the same family. 

I like the other couples too. 

The first encounter between JW and  SD... :D  

new stills for ep 3

• Like 1

Soompi_Christmas_2023.gif?ex=6575a966&is

Good job! Here's your card:

Soompi_X-Mas_Cards_2023_2.jpg?ex=6575c21

If you've found the other card, go back to the thread and let the EOs know which character you bet will win the showdown.

A Christmas joke:

What kind of Christmas music do  elves listen to? Wrap :D

ORIGINAL POST:

Spoiler

VR_Lies__Truth_hD_PS.jpg?width=1920&heig

cr. gm4queen

Game time! :love: Can you spot the lies and the truths about our kdrama characters?

Test your knowledge and memory here:

Event Organizers,

@Sleepy Owl & @partyon

Edited by partyon
Borrowed post for Soompi Winter Showdown 2023
  • Like 1

I would like other couples to have more onscreen scenes. 

So, the SIL is in love with the commoner. She is very happy when she is with him.

F-VkS-CbUAEd9Xs?format=jpg&name=small

The Young Master and the second daughter will be the second couple.

The MIL came up with a very careful and dangerous scheme to dethrone  the CP. 

Im glad JW is investigating the princess' death. 

The head covering scene was beautiful...  

F-W_yF1WgAE5l2Q?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 2

• ferily changed the title to [Current Drama 2023] The Matchmakers - 혼례대첩 - Mon & Tues @ 21:50 KST - Rowoon, Cho Yi Hyun

The Temple Seawon scenes were magical and vibrant...and funny, especially the interviews.

SD's matchmaking strategy wasnt exactly successful... but what destiny decides, it will happen.   

The MIL is the actual person in power.

F-yydlDaUAAhVpe?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2

I have watched up to Ep. 5:

I'm enjoying the comedy. So far the palace politics has been lightly dealt with, which I appreciate. The three Maeng sisters are fun to watch. Youngest "old maid" sister will end up with the Female lead's older brother, I'm guessing. The 2nd "old maid" sister is going to end up with the Scholar whom the Female Lead is trying to match up with her Sister-in-law. I think. 

The Sister-in-law likes the Gentleman Farmer. I'm not sure why he is unacceptable match to her family as they seem to have known each other since childhood, so I think he must be from noble or wealthy family?

Did we meet the Eldest "old maid" Sister's match yet? I don't remember her meeting anyone at the temple.

I don't understand about the Female Lead's son. I don't think he is her biological child. Did her husband have a first wife who died? 

Also unclear about the friend with the little girl. She was afraid the Female Lead's Mother-in-law would recognize her? Who is she supposed to be? 

Anyway, looking forward to Ep. 6

• Like 1

Now Im not sure about these two pairs, the second daughter and the Young Master and the SIL and the farmer...:unsure:

BG(the farmer) followed Doori (the second Maenge) when she walked down the dark alley. :unsure:

I didnt expect that but maybe the screenwriter  wants the story to be more uncertain....:D

It seems to me that both of them have  already given up on that first love. 

F-09wSHagAAoiRD?format=jpg&name=small

I like the Captain. He is upright and composed. But I didnt understand whose death he was investigating.

The death of the eldest DIL of the Left State Counsellor...?

F-2RcnVXIAA7G5R?format=jpg&name=small

On 11/14/2023 at 1:34 AM, Table122000 said:

Also unclear about the friend with the little girl. She was afraid the Female Lead's Mother-in-law would recognize her? Who is she supposed to be? 

The woman looks like a noblewoman. 

I dont think the FL even knows her friend's real identity either. 

I wonder who the man is who is asking about her(the friend).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Table122000 said:

I don't understand about the Female Lead's son. I don't think he is her biological child. Did her husband have a first wife who died? 

Anyway, looking forward to Ep. 6

even I was confused about the kid but maybe it is the first wife's son like you said. I am also wondering if the FL's husband was poisoned and died. there seems to be a lot of rumours regarding the mother-in-law. I am not sure exactly about the friend but I think either a nephew or someone related to the mother-in-law was having a relationship with the friend and she got pregnant with baby. however, mother-in-law intervened and refused to let them get married or tried to harm friend. so she escaped or ran away and then was rescued by FL and her brother. the inn owner seems to know who the friend is. the guy friend was involved with is still looking for her years on. 

4 hours ago, rocher22 said:

I like the Captain. He is upright and composed. But I didnt understand whose death he was investigating.

The death of the eldest DIL of the Left State Counsellor...?

yea, that is another reason why the drama feels a bit disjointed at times. there is a murder and it is all so serious but not sure yet how it is connected and who it is even. 

I was thinking about why the tonal differences feel so jarring but I think it is because the story feels a bit detached. the ML is smart but then he is being played like he is eccentric clownish a bit. then we have the matchmaking FL and we don't feel too much what is driving her to go around in disguise as lady yeon and make matches. is the FL just lonely? is she sad that she will never get life again and so is vicariously living through other couples?

also, the ML getting chest pangs seems like a gag but it would have felt more touching if we saw that he is lonely and feels cut off from the world because the princess died on the wedding day. other than him going around and investigating, we don't see how that day impacted him personally. was he disappointed? hurt? frustrated that his ambitions will no longer be achieved? boxed in that he can't use his intellect? instead, it is almost played for laughs.

we have all these characters and it is a drama about companionship, love and marriage and yet, the drama does not tackle these themes with the earnestness. so it seemed a bit flaky.  

I think this drama would be so much more good to watch if the whole tone was a light serious instead of the mismash it is. loneliness is a problem today and so people are finding it difficult to connect even though there are so many options such as dating apps. so if they had tackled some of those type of feelings and themes in the historical times, the drama would feel more deep. yet to watch ep 5 but that has been my impression of the drama so far -- interesting somewhat but also forgettable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

I think this drama would be so much more good to watch if the whole tone was a light serious instead of the mismash it is. 

Agreed...

I dont particularly like the comic side of Rowoon's character. 

But he and Ohbong always made me laugh...I like the fine humor...:D

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

I am not sure exactly about the friend but I think either a nephew or someone related to the mother-in-law was having a relationship with the friend and she got pregnant with baby. however, mother-in-law intervened and refused to let them get married or tried to harm friend. so she escaped or ran away and then was rescued by FL and her brother. the inn owner seems to know who the friend is. the guy friend was involved with is still looking for her years on. 

I thought for a moment that she is the eldest DIL...:unsure:

• Like 2

Another great episode( ep6)

the awkwardness...but they both still continued to hold that rope...  :D

The Introduction of the King was so funny...  :lol:

The scene between JW and this boy was lovely and yes, that boy is not SD's biological son. 

I like it when a villain in a drama is smart and Lady Park is definitely intelligent. 

It seems to me that JW is the Agent of Love... he instinctively feels which two should be a couple. 

• Like 2

these girls are smart, capable and hilarious...  

the ''accidental'' encounter between Siyeol and Doori.... :lol:

F--3DXragAAPAyi?format=jpg&name=900x900

SD - '' Are you really not going to see your future husband''

Yejin - '' I will see him when I get married anyway''...

F-lI9XhW0AAE06u?format=jpg&name=small

The scene when the Captain was fixing the wall..

Sam Soon - '' A woman who has such a dependable man as a husband must be very happy ''

Hana  - '' Why would  you want a husband who fixes the wall of another woman's house.''   :D

F--7Gh2bEAEvbXK?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1

Soompi_Christmas_2023.gif?ex=6575a966&is

What kind of photos do elves take? Elfies! :D

Soompi_X-Mas_Cards_2023_20.jpg?ex=6587eb

------------------

ORIGINAL POST:

Spoiler

My Corner of Soompi

Come chat with other Soompiers on the My Corner of Soompi thread. :kiss_wink:

What have you been up to lately? How are you counting down to the New Year?

Season 7 Nbc GIF by The Office

Your Event Organizers

The '' Rumour Block'' team was competent and clever.   :approves:

so the girl's murder is solved. 

F_YgktFa0AAF7SV?format=jpg&name=small

that exchange of letters was hilarious as they were in high school...  :D

Sam Soon and the Captain are so sweet...Im glad that SD agreed to help the third sister.

is the crown prince her match... :unsure: Anyway I liked their scenes...:D

F_Yq7vIbkAEYgfK?format=jpg&name=360x360

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 8:15 AM, rocher22 said:

Sam Soon and the Captain are so sweet...Im glad that SD agreed to help the third sister.

Yes, that couple was too cute this episode. Although I have to question FL abilities as a matchmaker if she couldn't see how much those two liked each other.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:15 AM, rocher22 said:

s the crown prince her match

I had the same question. The Romance tropes by the river of Eldest Maid catching the Crown Prince and then the long stare was a huge turnoff for me. Are they really going to match up a 14 yr old boy with a 24 yr old woman? Yuck!

• Shocked 1

13 hours ago, Table122000 said:

I had the same question. The Romance tropes by the river of Eldest Maid catching the Crown Prince and then the long stare was a huge turnoff for me. Are they really going to match up a 14 yr old boy with a 24 yr old woman? Yuck!

I guess it will be his one-sided love and maybe the Eldest Daughter will become the CP's maid.  

Although, from the perspective of the time, even if he married her as his concubine

it would not be strange especially since he is the CP. :sweatingbullets:

13 hours ago, Table122000 said:

Yes, that couple was too cute this episode. Although I have to question FL abilities as a matchmaker if she couldn't see how much those two liked each other.

Yes, even Ohbong noticed it...looks like he is the true matchmaker.   :D

He already knows that JW and SD like each other. 

nice... 

F_Quof1aMAANrY0?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1