[Mainland Chinese Drama 2023] Story of Kunning Palace 宁安如梦

SC2019

oh well, news is that there are technical errors to what was a 19 May premiere but now put on hold. BUT we all know that's just another word for 'another scandal' or 'issue' with one of the actors in the drama. This time round, it's reportedly the 3rd ML who spoke up against the prolonged lock downs and was reported by a netizen. Will we ever get to watch this drama? Who knows.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 2:38 PM, SC2019 said:

oh well, news is that there are technical errors to what was a 19 May premiere but now put on hold. BUT we all know that's just another word for 'another scandal' or 'issue' with one of the actors in the drama. This time round, it's reportedly the 3rd ML who spoke up against the prolonged lock downs and was reported by a netizen. Will we ever get to watch this drama? Who knows.

Apparently a whole lot of Cdramas were put on hold suddenly due to this issue below. Apparently all going to air dramas have to go thorough another round of scrutiny

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/17/asia/chinese-firm-fined-army-joke-intl-hnk/index.html

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • SC2019 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama] Story of Kunning Palace 宁安如梦, premiered Nov 7, starring Bai Lu & Zhang Ling He

The webmasters on the Youtube are morons, got a different language other than Chinese uploaded.

And this isn't actually even the first time either. Feels like they themselves aren't Chinese, so he/she do it in their own language.

Do they expect people watching this aren't mostly Chinese? But Korean, Vietnam,  Thai or whatever that language is?

Let me know when Chinese language is actually uploaded.

SIGH :/

On 11/9/2023 at 7:43 AM, UnniSarah said:

Hello

I wanted to know which Male lead she ends up with before I watch it 

You do know that the scriptwriters may not follow the novel right? Read somewhere in the novel that it is... 

Spoiler

HE with ML, in this case Zhang Ling He's character.

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2023 at 12:53 AM, SC2019 said:

You do know that the scriptwriters may not follow the novel right? Read somewhere in the novel that it is..

I started watching already without the spoilers. I am hooked already and I so want XW to win her.  

Spoiler

XW’s life is so pitiful. He is being held hostage by the man who fakes his death and kidnapped him.  All h head in his mind is to protect his family but he is losing them still 

I am on episode 5 for now . 

I finally realized who XW really is.

Goodness, that took a while and some of my braincells. 

I’m pretty sure I am not alone when I say that this drama is throwing out plenty of backstory and current within the first 10 eps and is a lot to take in. Plus, the Mandarin used here is harder than other dramas for me …

:crazymad:

I didn’t real the novel but I do wonder why they had the superfluous modern times bit at the start. They didn’t quite need it for the second life explanation … unless this is really a story within a story…

I like how the leads BL/ZLH are different than their usual roles - a lot fiercer and villanous. They are emoting well, contrary to comments I have read so far.

• Like 3

In the original novel, JXN was the ‘evil’ woman who had schemed her way up to becoming the Empress. After her death, she was reborn as her younger self and what we are watching now is her attempts to change the outcome of the many lives she had sacrificed on her ascent to the top position.

However, the Chinese government forbids the dramatisation of rebirth or time travel, so the story was changed to that of the writer of the story being dissatisfied with how the story ended and rewriting it in Episode 1. So we are now watching the re-written story, with flashbacks to the original story shown in sepia tone.

Anyway, I am enjoying the drama so far but sometimes feel that it is quite rushed, like jumping from scene to scene. ZLH and BL are doing great. I have not watched up the part when Zhang Zhe appears so I am looking forward to seeing the actor again. I liked him a lot in the Scent drama.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 2

Hi @rocat @omiki.  See you all again.   

I just finished Ep 20.     @rocat  Yes.  I agree.  The drama was a bit slow & disconnected in the earlier eps.  But it is progressing smoothly now.  And I'm enjoying it.

@omiki  Yes.  We see Wang Xing Yue again.  As Zhang Zhe this time.  We saw him in "Scent Of Time" as a ML.  And now as a 2nd ML.  I'm not sure about his acting yet.  This is only the second time I've seen him.  Before that, I don't even know him.

But he sure has good looks. :lol:  I was admiring his looks in "SOT".  And now, I'm enjoying his good looks again.

Both SOT and SOKP are about "Rebirth".  So initially, viewers are not so enthusiastic about "Story Of Kunning Palace".  This is understandable.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

@rocat  @omiki   @UnniSarah   Which eps are you all at now?

I just finished Ep 22.  It has been exciting for some time now.  Because the Plot has fallen into place and flowing smoothly.  And we can be more sure of what to expect and who to root for.

Zhang Ling He is trying his best to perform.  But IMO he is still not yet up to the mark.  While watching him, I can't help thinking of Cheng Lei, the 2nd ML from "My Journey To You".   I was thinking that if the ML here is Cheng Lei, the Effect would have been different.  (Sorry  @rocat.  Pls forgive me.   I know you are his Fan :()

Xie Wei

Zhang Ling He's  Xie Wei is actually a very tragic but interesting character.  Therefore challenging.  If he can succeed to bring him to Life, he will definitely explode as an Actor.

Xie Wei had sacrificed himself to save the Crown Prince and those 300 other children when he was a boy.  Now he is sacrificing his goodness to execute his revenge.

He is a Stern man.  Yet he will not hesitate to change his Strategy to save the woman he loves.

I just found out that Wang Xing Yue (Zhang He) is a new actor.  Only 21 years old.  He looks very matured for his age.

I quite like Yan Lin the 3rd ML.

Ep 22

Spoiler

In Ep 22, I am so angry with Jiang Xue Ning (Bai Lu).  Xie Wei (Zhang Ling He) is busy rushing to save her.  And she is busy saving Zhang He.

No doubt ZH is a Righteous Man.  He is too "Righteous" to the point of being ridiculous - Foolish.

I hope JXN can wake up to this fact asap.   And not make herself a Nuisance too often.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

34 minutes ago, hush puppy said:

Sorry  @rocat.  Pls forgive me.   I know you are his Fan :()

Hehe…no worries! We are all free to think and feel however we do. In fact, I also think he’s missed opportunities for his character to shine. He’s got some screen presence but not a solid hold. In the scenes with XW and JXN, I look at JXN more. (She’s smart but so meddling and pesky!) I am also wondering why.

I think he’s gotten better with the sly and shrewd looks but they are not powerful enough to scare, if you get my drift. He looks cute still cos he kinda pouts. His red eye one resembles someone deranged though he somehow looks pretty in it. Kekeke. I don’t know….maybe it is because he never looks bad so it’s harder to take him too seriously. 

What illness is he suffering from?

48 minutes ago, hush puppy said:

Only 21 years old.  He looks very matured for his age.

Yes! I thought he was older than ZLH!

He's pretty good.

I just finished ep22 as well. Though the story is easier to follow now, there’s a lot of conflict due to espionage that I find tiresome. Heh. These guys have a truckload of trust issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocat said:

What illness is he suffering from?

I am so glad to find someone watching this drama.  I am rooting for Xie Wei, I believe there is room for growth. I enjoy watching Zhang Ling He because although his performance isn't gold, his tone for the drama is on point.  I am rooting for him because his eyes convey the hatred he has in his heart or when he cares for someone his eyes say it all.  @rocat he is suffering from PTSD 

@hush puppy It is okay that you are not feeling his character, I see that as the drama progresses, he does get better. I think he could have looked much better if the other actors were strong enough to carry him

• Like 1