[Mainland Chinese Drama 2023] Lost You Forever 长相思

SC2019

Xiao Yao got lost because she left the mountain on her own after waiting so long for her father to come fetch her. Along the way, when running away from bad people and demons, she realised that she had the ability to change her appearance. However, she could not control the device well. The magical device had been embedded in her when she was young so she had not learnt how to control it yet.

I am enjoying this drama. I was impressed by the acting of the boy who acted as the young Cang Xuan. I’m sure I’ve seen before in some other drama. His crying and grief was so real. And did anyone else wonder about the ‘humble’ home that Xiao Liu and the others were living in? It was HUGE! And how do they survive when not a single customer came to their shop the entire time? :lol:

Despite my initial doubt, I must say I am satisfied with the actor’s portrayal of Xiang Liu - he is ‘charmingly’ wicked  :naughty:

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 2

@omiki thanks for the explanation. That explains the scene by the lake.

@mskololia1 I've been strangely drawn to Yang Zi since AOL even though there's been criticism about her acting ability. I think this drama has allowed her to break away from the typical fairy/ sweet young thing, which is good for her resume.

Deng Wei is surprisingly good! I've heard favourable things about him, but this is the first time watching him and I must say he has amazing eyes, I can just watch them and get what he's trying to say.

I've watched till the latest episodes and I feel strangely disturbed about Yang Zi's character.

Spoiler

There is this sense that I am watching someone with emotional instability and is prone to self-mutilation (which in this case is being abused by Xiang Liu). She's been whipped 40 times by him, sucked countless times even if it leaves her with no lasting damage and pushed off a tree to the extent she was walking on crutches. And yet it's as if she doesn't fear him, and even welcomes the unwholesome attention. It's like watching someone walking into Dracula's arms willingly as sacrifice or like a moth drawn to flames. Even she explained it as such, that in the past she willingly interacted with a Snake Demon because she was lonely - it's just bizarre, which is why she doesn't fear Xiang Liu.

I have to say this drama doesn't offer explanations to viewers. It's not like a mystery or suspense drama where they can't reveal too much just yet. So, IMHO, it's just not very good story-telling. Like what's with her blood? Or the face-changing thing as well? It's not proper to leave us in the dark for too long.

@MayanEcho I know what you've had to say about Tan Jian Ci, and it's my first time watching him. I am not sure I want him as XXX (you know who, because that requires a more playful face and his is just dark) but I would say, he's doing a great job here. Enigmatic and somewhat hateful, and leaving me wanting to find out more about him.

For those who want spoilers based on the novel (at least from what I know foraging around for the ending), Using actors' names as the character names are still unfamiliar to me

Spoiler
  • Yang Zi ends up with Deng Wei (who relinquishes his power to his nephew to be with her)
  • Tan Jian Ci sacrifices himself in some battle, loves Yang Zi but never reveals it
  • Zhang Wan Yi takes over the kingdom and the beloved younger 'sister' ends up married to him though it's a loveless marriage as he is desperately in love with Yang Zi (he has an entire harem of women)
  • and if not mistaken, Yang Zi ends up marrying both Zhang Wan Yi and Deng Wei throughout the story, but with no good ending each time.

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1

• SC2019 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama] Lost You Forever 长相思, premiered July 24, starring Yang Zi, Zhang Wan Yi, Deng Wei & Tan Cian Ji
5 hours ago, SC2019 said:

Deng Wei is surprisingly good! I've heard favourable things about him, but this is the first time watching him and I must say he has amazing eyes, I can just watch them and get what he's trying to say.

Deng Wei was wonderful in Miss the Dragon and I am The Years, You are the Star. :) I like him when he's acting snooty, LOL! He is also graceful with his movements, and yep, he's one of those actors who has those eyes.

5 hours ago, SC2019 said:

I know what you've had to say about Tan Jian Ci, and it's my first time watching him. I am not sure I want him as XXX (you know who, because that requires a more playful face and his is just dark) but I would say, he's doing a great job here. Enigmatic and somewhat hateful, and leaving me wanting to find out more about him.

If he can portray his character that way and make others curious about him, that is a nod to his acting IMO, hehehe!

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

I will be glad to see her back where she belongs as a princess and in dresses.

I will be glad to see when we know who the nine-tailed person is that she rescued.  Whoever tortured him deserves a comeuppance.

I will be glad to see why the 9-headed demon tortures her and drinks her blood.

Lastly, I will be glad to see her childhood friend's face when he discovers that he has been living around and interacting with her.  He will probably breakdown not recognizing or feeling her so near after 330 years....

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

Ep 7 was good and an eye opener as item 2 was answered but the unknown culprit who harmed Jin needs a beating.  I like Ye Shi.  He's a keeper and from a family of merchants. Telling him to go along with her got him snagged.  I wonder if XY inherently knows things.  Her mother said she was different.

Lol, Xiang Liu is falling for her fangs and all.  I like how he manifests in swirls of snow or lights.

CX buying up all medicine to bargain is a stretch and kind of ruthless.  Yet, I am willing to see if he can pull this off and outdo his uncles.

Ep 8 the Chenrong funeral dirge was beautifully done and sung.  Wow!  Their camp is in the mountain.  The plan to save the day could have only been thought up by a her.:approves:

• Like 2

Wait a minute.  Since TSJ and YL know XY (cheeky) is female, does XY know? Is she supposed to be a man not knowing who she is having lost her memory or was this done to her?  Again, that face shifting scene was a bit disturbing not expecting or knowing it to happen.

Thanks in advance and I shift my loyalties away from the childhood friend to Jing.  Don't hurt me show for shifting loyalties.  :anguished:

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

Seems like only @mskololia1 and I are commenting on this drama. Not many people watching this? 

After watching Episode 12, would you believe that all I can think of all day is Xiang Liu :naughty:? The fact that the voodoo love bug so easily transferred to him definitely means that he is deeply in love with Xiao Liu. But sadly, there is no future for them once Xiao Liu returns to Hao Ling, because of his loyalty to the Chi Rong army, and the Fang Feng family.

Stop Motion Love GIF by Ai and Aiko

• Like 2

im currently watching this and so far, it is the best drama of the year so far and it only half of the episodes aired . And so popular too. I remembered read the novel during covid, i had the best time reading it. I must say, the ending for this s1 probably will give some angst to audiences as it will cover TSJ and cunning lady Fangfengyiying 's wedding. was a bad misunderstanding ever. 

Awwww.  … Xiang Liu is so mean. I think he already saw that Shi Qi was waiting there, and knew that Shi Qi would catch her. Anyway, he was using her as his healer and definitely would not want her dead.

I have been missing seeing XL in the past few episodes. Hope he turns up soon Happy Love Of My Life GIF by Tonton Friends

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

I’m dizzy following Xiao Yao/Xiao Liu’s relationship with so many MLs in this show. Good dizzy though.

I find Xiang Liu’s duality most intriguing - his vulnerability is shielded by a prickly cover of unpredictability, callousness and power. It’s amusing to watch him merrily basking in his lair, giving vampire hickies to both threaten and love at his convenience but only to XY/XL. 

Jing is deity-nice but needs to exude wee bit more charisma to topple Mr Fangs at the part I am watching. This is my second encounter with Deng Wei. I like him in the show with Bai Lu. 

Feeling meh about the cousin, Xuan.

When is Yang Zi getting out of that ugly hat Thing on her head? :lol:

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

Episode 22 - XY is at a gathering with ladies from the rich families and high society

Lady A : Princess Xiao Yao, do you prefer painting or playing musical instrument?

XY : I don’t know how.

B : Do you like writing couplets?

XY : Don’t know how.

C : Do you like to play Go?

XY : Don’t know very well.

D : Your dress is very fashionable. Is it made by disciples of the Textiles Goddess?

XY : Hmmm … Don’t know. …. Maybe? ….   Should be.

E : Your jewellery is so exquisite. Must be crafted by the famous Jing Tian maker?

XY : Er … Don’t know. My father gave it to me so I just wore it.

…………. All the ladies   :dizzy:      XY     :grimace:

Hard to make small talk with XY   :Megalol:

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

I was just wondering: if Xiang Liu’s other identity is Fangfeng Bei, why did he take such awhile to emerge as that? 

in one of the scenes, Xiaoyao told him she was afraid of him and he’d never be one who would enter her dreams/think of fondly (cos he is ruthless and cold). 

he looked so hurt. 

maybe that’s why he decided to manifest into Fangfeng Bei so he’ll be more human than demon, and she’ll take to him without being frightened. 

He obviously likes being Xiang Liu cos his name alone instills fear but changes to Bei so just one person wouldn’t be. I like that.

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1