[Drama 2022] Our Blues, 우리들의 블루스

larus

June 10, 2022

The story of Chun Hee and Eun Gi in "Our Blues" is heartwarming and tearful! Eun Gi's father 'Man Su' is really Go Doo Shin's real son in reality (a translation) 

Korean Drama Friday, June 10, 2022 11:37 Yuan  

Screenshot_2022-06-10_at_1.11.04_PM.png

In the 17th episode of "Our Blues", Chun Hee (Go Doo Shin) finally learned that her son Man Su (Kim Jung Hwan) was in a severe coma and she shedded tears as she watched Man Su, who has been sick for a month.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-06-10_at_1.12.19_PM.png

Eun Gi ’s dad  Dad once told Eun Gi  (Ki So You) that there are 100 moons in Pureung  Village, and he can make a wish on them to make 100 wishes come true at once.  In order to fulfill Eun Ki’s  wish, everyone called on the villagers to set sail at night and light up bright lights as if 100 moons really appear on the sea.  Seeing this scene, Chun Hee and Eun Gi both knelt down and prayed. 

Screenshot_2022-06-10_at_1.12.28_PM.png
I believe that many people saw this episode and cried, right? Chun Hee and Man Su, who are in the mother-son relationship in the drama, in reality are also real family.

Kim Jung Hwan, who was born in 1986, majored in economics at university, and then studied acting at the Institute of Imaging, Dongguk University, and followed his mother to become an actor.  His first work was “Hur Jun, The Original Story” which aired in 2013, and has since appeared in "High Society",“Our Gab-Soon”, "Live", "Arthdal Chronicles", "Juvenile Justice", and many others.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-06-10_at_1.12.41_PM.png

In 2016, Kim Jung Hwan and Go Doo Shin starred in the TV series "My Dear Friends", and the two played "sister and brother" in the drama . At that time, Kim Jung Hwan did not disclose that he was Go Doo Shin's son, and he was auditioned before joining the cast and crew.  Almost no one knew that he was Gao Douxin's son, not even the cast and crew. At that time, many viewers didn't know that the two were mother and son, and they only thought that the director was too good at casting, and the siblings were so much alike!

Screenshot_2022-06-10_at_1.13.17_PM.png

Source:  https://www.koreastardaily.com/tc/news/141745

• Like 8

June 11, 2022

Lee Byung Hun Explodes With Rage During An Awkward Dinner In “Our Blues”

Lee Byung Hun Explodes With Rage During An Awkward Dinner In “Our Blues”

Jun 11, 2022
by L. Kim

tvN’s “Our Blues” has released a sneak peek of tonight’s episode!

“Our Blues” is an omnibus-style drama set in Jeju Island that tells the sweet, sour, and bitter life stories of a diverse array of characters. In addition to Lee Byung Hun and Kim Hye Ja, the star-studded cast includes Shin Min AhKim Woo BinHan Ji MinCha Seung WonLee Jung EunUhm Jung Hwa, and more.

Spoilers

On June 11, the production team unveiled new stills of Kang Ok Dong (Kim Hye Ja) and Lee Dong Suk (Lee Byung Hun) attending a memorial service. Lee Dong Suk despises his late stepfather and his children Jong Woo (Choi Byung Mo) and Jong Chul (Choi Seung Kyung), and he had always harbored resentment towards Kang Ok Dong for entering their family as a mistress. When he was a child, he showed his mother that his stepbrothers had hurt him, but he didn’t receive the response he wanted and became scarred even more instead.

In the photos, the estranged mother-and-son duo head to the memorial site with food Kang Ok Dong has prepared. However, the atmosphere is rigid with tension, and it looks as if an emotional storm is heading their way. Sure enough, Lee Dong Suk gets humiliated in the middle of dinner, and he sits frozen in shock with japchae on his shoulders. Lee Dong Suk can’t control his anger, but Kang Ok Dong attempts to stop him.

In this scene, Kang Ok Dong will burst with her true feelings that she has been holding in all her life. She will finally open up about the past, and it will be intriguing to find out if Kang Ok Dong and Lee Dong Suk will be able to mend their relationship before her time runs out.

Lee-Byung-Hun-Kim-Hye-Ja2.jpg

Our-Blues-14.jpg

Lee-Byung-Hun3.jpg

Our-Blues3.jpg

The next episode of “Our Blues” will air on June 11 at 9:10 p.m. KST.

In the meantime, watch Kim Hye Ja and Han Ji Min in “Radiant” with subtitles below!

WATCH NOW

Source (1)

Source: https://www.soompi.com/article/1530439wpp/lee-byung-hun-explodes-with-rage-during-an-awkward-dinner-in-our-blues

• Like 8

Han Ji Min Is A Bundle Of Nerves As She Goes To Meet Kim Woo Bin’s Parents In “Our Blues”

Han Ji Min Is A Bundle Of Nerves As She Goes To Meet Kim Woo Bin’s Parents In “Our Blues”

Jun 11, 2022
by L. Kim

tvN’s “Our Blues” has released new stills ahead of the next episode!

“Our Blues” is an omnibus-style drama set in Jeju Island that tells the sweet, sour, and bitter life stories of a diverse array of characters. The star-studded cast includes, Han Ji MinKim Woo BinLee Byung HunShin Min AhCha Seung WonLee Jung EunKim Hye JaUhm Jung Hwa, and more.

Spoilers

Lee Young Ok’s (Han Ji Min’s) painful past was revealed on the previous episodes of “Our Blues.” It was revealed that Lee Young Ok has a twin sister named Lee Young Hee who has Down syndrome. In the beginning, Park Jung Joon (Kim Woo Bin) was surprised about the truth, but he quickly warmed up to Lee Young Hee, showing unwavering love for Lee Young Ok.

Newly released stills depict Lee Young Ok getting ready to visit Park Jung Joon’s parents. Unlike usual, she’s wearing a formal attire, and her expression is shadowed with nervousness. Lee Young Ok doesn’t want to get hurt again, so it required a lot of courage on her part to take the step to meet his parents.

More photos show Lee Young Ok, Park Jung Joon, and his family sharing a meal together, but the atmosphere is stiff and uncomfortable. Lee Young Ok seems to have frozen in front of his parents, making viewers wonder about their conversation.

Han-Ji-Min-Kim-Woo-Bin.jpg

Kim-Woo-Bin-Han-Ji-Min.jpg

Spoiler

Our-Blues5.jpg

The next episode of “Our Blues” will air on June 11 at 9:10 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1530460wpp/han-ji-min-is-a-bundle-of-nerves-as-she-goes-to-meet-kim-woo-bins-parents-in-our-blues

• Like 7

Oy. Ok Dong continues to be frustratingly stubborn even though she's close to death's door. I swear I sigh as heavily as she does ha-ha! Also how did she survive all those years being so illiterate?? 

I thought it was generally men that were cold and distant. Nope women are just as bad which is funny as we're known to be the emotional and expressive of the sexes.

Although she sure had enough emotion in her to tell off that self entitled stepson of hers! Yeong Ok had nothing to worry about LoL her future in-laws were lovely. Well one only need to look at Joon to know they did a good job raising him. 

• Like 7

June 12, 2022.

Our Blues – K-Drama Episode 19 Recap & Review

11/06/2022 by Greg Wheeler

targe

Ok-Dong and Dong-Seok 2

Episode 19 of Our Blues starts with us back on the shore with Ok-Dong, Chun-Hui and Dong-Seok together. Having missed the boat, they decide to head out for breakfast. Dong-Seok leads the way.

Back on Jeju Island, Jeong-Jun gets ready to go and meet Yeong-Ok, who happens to be right outside his bus waiting. She’s incredibly nervous about meeting his parents and can’t even muster a smile.

Jeong-Jun does his best to quell any nerves, pointing out that his parents know everything about her family and will really like her.

Yeong-Ok decides to compromise and take her car after some back and forth over whether to even go. Yeong-Ok decides to work on “three strikes” and if they strike-out, doing anything to make things awkward or hostile it gives her a getaway. They drive up together but when they arrive, Yeong-Ok is concerned that neither of them even bother to smile at her. Unfortunately they’ve picked a bad day, as both parents are in a bad mood.

When they sit at the table as a family, Jeong-Jun’s mother breaks the ice and struggles to hold back tears. She brings up how it must have been difficult for Yeong-Ok all this time. Eventually they start warming to her and Yeong-Ok manages to ease up a little around the dinner table.

Back with Ok-Dong and Dong-Seok for now though. While they’re on the ferry boat, she urges him to join her in Madang-Ri,, which is at the very end of Mokpo. Dong-Seok even helps his mum out with her seatbelt in the car too.

Chun-Hui and Ok-Dong head to the hospital, while Dong-Seok waits outside. Man-Su is on the mend, and the doctors claim it’s a miracle – a miracle wished on 1000 moons of course!

The same cannot be said for Ok-Dong though. She’s still being sick and throwing up blood, although she’s still upright and soldiering on. Chun-Hui urges her to keep it together, at least until after the funeral.

Ok-Dong hands over a big envelope of money to her friend, urging Chun-Hui to give it to Man-Su and Eun-Gi when the time comes.

After leaving her at the hospital, Dong-Seok and Ok-Dong head out together to get things ready for the memorial service. They need to stop by Jong-U’s place. Of course, this is Dong-Seok’s step-father’s house that his son has now adopted. Dong-Seok isn’t exactly happy, especially as there are clear tensions in the family.

It’s actually a really nice segment, with all music cut completely as each of the family (minus Dong-Seok) sits down to pay their respects. Now, Jong-U and Dong-Seok don’t see eye to eye, mostly because the former used to beat him down in the past.

When Dong-Seok antagonizes his “brother”, Jong-U throws noodles across the table at him. A big verbal sparring match breaks out, with Jong-U accusing Dong-Seok of being a thief. When he left the house all those years ago, he took off with jewellery and cash.

Dong-Seok rasps back, pointing out that he and Jong-Cheol used to beat him up so it was just compensation.

When Jong-U claims he pitied him, Dong-Seok snaps and stands up for her son. She points out that it was Jong-U that’s more to blame for his father’s death, given his sudden shock over recklessly losing all that money.

When they eventually leave, with the evening a complete bust, an irate Dong-Seok decides to head back on his own, apologizing and revealing that this is the last time Jong-U and the others will be seeing Dong-Seok, given her terminal diagnosis. Oh, and they’re not welcome at the funeral either.

That night, while alone in a motel, Dong-Seok opens up about his feelings. “Why didn’t you ever apologize to me?” He asks. “Why should I?” Is her reply. This obviously angers Dong-Seok and he head outside to sleep in his truck, slamming the door on the way.

In the morning, Dong-Seok and Ok-Dong head out together, arriving in Madang-Ri just as they promised. This happens to be Ok-Dong’s village she grew up in but when they show up, it’s all gone. It’s been turned into a reservoir and they can’t even walk there.

Lunch is a complete bust too, especially when the server brings the wrong food and is late delivering their food. Dong-Seok snaps, dropping the bowls upside down on the table and storming outside. He eventually drives off with Ok-Dong.

Dong-Seok questions his mum’s attitude, pointing out that she was all smiling and happy at a puppy prior to eating (or, well, almost eating!) and compares that to how cold she’s been her whole life toward him. Ok-Dong is silent and doesn’t reply.

Dong-Seok decides to drive up to Madang-Ri after all, fulfil her wish… and then that’s it. That’s the last thing he’s going to do for her. As they drive in silence together, everything is left precariously hanging in the balance.

The Episode Review

Our Blues returns this week with its penultimate chapter, fleshing out the journey Ok-Dong and Dong-Seok have taken to make it this far. It still remains to be seen if we actually see these two make up before the end, but judging by what we’ve seen there’s so much baggage and ill-will here it’s going to be a mammoth task, despite Dong-Seok caring for his mum regardless, typified by that moment in the alleyway where she’s coughing and he’s trying to comfort her.

One of the better parts of this series though has been how all these different stories have interweaved together. The ending almost doesn’t feel like a set-up for the end of the series though.

Something like Our Blues is almost crying out for a renewal, given its anthological nature. I mean, if Taxi Driver can get a renewal then surely this can too!

We still haven’t got full closure for a lot of the stoylines and I’m a bit concerned that this finale may only be around 70 minutes or so, which doesn’t feel like enough time to round everything out and say goodbye to everyone.

However, there’s been a good amount of drama across the prior episodes and the preview for tomorrow’s finale certainly looks enticing. We’ll have to wait and see what happens with that but it should be quite the emotional rollercoaster!

Previous Episode

Next Episode

Expect A Full Season Write-Up When This Season Concludes!

Source:  https://www.thereviewgeek.com/ourblues-s1e19review/

• Like 5

I guess we're all in agreement that Ok Dong's stubborn attitude continues to be frustrating. Sure she had that meltdown during the memorial because she's had enough of her stepson's attitude towards Dong Seok but she's still unapologetic when it's the two of them together. At this rate, I even think she might pass away without Dong Seok getting closure.:(

I did like that development with Jeong Joon's parents. Poor Yeong Ok was too shocked to have elders actually caring about how she feels.:sweat_smile:

• Like 7

Here is the ratings for Episode 19! :).

With just one episode left in its run, tvN’s hit drama “Our Blues” earned an average nationwide rating of 12.1 percent for its penultimate broadcast. Despite seeing a small decrease in viewership, the drama successfully held onto its spot at first place in its time slot across all channels.

“Why Her?” Ratings Soar Into Double Digits As “Sh**ting Stars” Ends On Slight Rise | Soompi

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

June 12, 2022

Kim-Hye-Ja-Lee-Byung-Hun-2.jpgLee Byung Hun And Kim Hye Ja Take An Emotional Journey To Fulfill Her Dying Wish In “Our Blues”

Jun 12, 2022
by E. Cha

tvN’s “Our Blues” has shared an emotional glimpse of its highly-anticipated series finale!

“Our Blues” is an omnibus-style drama set in Jeju Island that tells the sweet, sour, and bitter life stories of a diverse array of characters. In addition to Lee Byung Hun and Kim Hye Ja, the star-studded cast includes Shin Min Ah, Kim Woo Bin, Han Ji Min, Cha Seung Won, Lee Jung Eun, Uhm Jung Hwa, and more.

Spoilers

On the previous episode of “Our Blues,” Lee Dong Suk (Lee Byung Hun) finally got to know his estranged mother Kang Ok Dong (Kim Hye Ja), whom he had spent his entire life resenting. As they spent time together in Mokpo, Dong Suk learned a number of unexpected things about his mother that he had never known—and viewers’ hearts broke as Ok Dong’s illness visibly worsened.

In newly released stills from the drama’s upcoming final episode, the mother and son set out to climb Mount Hallasan in order to fulfill Ok Dong’s dying wish. After hearing that his mother has never seen Baengnokdam Lake, a crater lake that sits at the top of Hallasan, Dong Suk makes up his mind to hike the mountain.

The first set of photos capture Ok Dong mustering up all the strength she has left in her frail body to make the climb—but in the second, Dong Suk is alone as he climbs the snowy mountain, raising the question of what happened in between.

Kim-Hye-Ja2.jpgLee-Byung-Hun4.jpg

Spoiler

Lee-Byung-Hun-2.jpg

The producers of “Our Blues” commented, “Kim Hye Ja and Lee Byung Hun will grace the grand finale with their passionate acting. You’ll be able to see why these two actors are truly great actors, and their acting will break viewers’ hearts and deliver a resounding ending. Please join us for Ok Dong and Dong Suk’s last moments.”

The series finale of “Our Blues” will air on June 12 at 9 p.m. KST.

In the meantime, watch Kim Hye Ja and Han Ji Min in “Radiant” with subtitles below!

WATCH NOW

Source (1)

Source:  https://www.soompi.com/article/1530568wpp/lee-byung-hun-and-kim-hye-ja-take-an-emotional-journey-to-fulfill-her-dying-wish-in-our-blues

• Like 7

My Final Review Our Blues....

Spoiler

what a rollercoaster, Ms Dong got to meet his son's Gf and the very cute baby who also resembles her, the scene was so warm and sad at the same time.
The Pureung Grandads granddaughter is so cute...

There are things parents do we don't know about Miss Kang's stubbornness was her self imposed punishment and all DS wanted was acknowledgement, was it too late for them or just the right date for them, I cat decide, it was heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time.

But Life went on and yes The community game and everyone coming back and symbolizing Happiness Over Misery This show is a GEM Indeed.

My rating is 9.9/10 , because I feel while this is a very realistic heartfelt show not everyone is at a stage where they can get the depth it portrays or understands why a character behaves in a certain manner.

Also the first few episode imho are experimentation into unit style documentary series , not everyone would like EH and HS story to be the foremost to be portrayed but her character and Captain are the holding glue of the entire community , EH way more than him.

Also special mention to cast :

Besides the fact Chun HEe and Man su are related, I felt Seon AH/ Yeol and Miss Kang and DS look the part and legit pass of as Mother and Son haha...

My Thoughts for the characters I came to love....
EH - I hope you get your own happiness somewhere and you are an unbeatable Queen please believe that!
MR- People take you up on your face value very few understood your desperation , maybe experience is the best teacher as they say.
DS - You are a warm man with spicy tongue but that is what SA needed , and I hope you live in that Blue house of yours happily ever after.
Captain - Your sincerity and confusion are cute , very few men exist like you do , Loyal and Hot and understanding. Yeong sisters are Lucky.
Eun Gi and Chun Hee - You are both stubborn and your stubbornness saved the man you both love the most. Bicker and Love and laugh equally and be bFFS forever.
Hyun/Yeong - Life is long, Love is tough , with a baby its tougher. Hope it treats you well than your parents.
Grandad CP of the year - You had the most epic Love story , but without the Son and Son in law all 3 of you are so bullheaded it would have been difficult to sort the life out, I hope your grandbaby makes you laugh and live all your lives.
Miss Kang  and Miss Chun - I wish to have a bff beside me in my old age like you both were, it helps sort a lot of things out. Will miss you both.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

It's curtain call on our blues as a sunny and bright day takes over.The fighting spirit hasn't gone down a wee bit though! The athletic meet has to be won by putting the best foot forward.Our Jeju islanders are a pro at tackling obstacles be it life or sports and they do it well.They are all pumped up to take over new challenges as we say Au Revoir!:heart:

• Like 10

And it ended folks. Oh the tears for the finale oh boy LoL. I am glad Dong Seok and Ok Dong got to spend some time before her final moments.. it's just a shame she waited so long to do them. Better late than never I guess. It was nice she got to meet Seon Ah with Yeol.

It was also a delight to see past characters all gathered in the finale. Everyone seem to genuinely have a good time working on this drama. The actors all have great chemistry together.

"Our Blues" has been a warm, poignant, funny and realistic production that I have watched this year thus far. I will miss the cast and the lovely sights of Jeju.. such is life eh LoL? That despite the ups and downs, life must go on...

I love the parting message toward the end on how we all deserve happiness. I therefore wish all of you on this thread the same. Be safe and take care. Until the next drama God Bless~

• Like 11

It's a beautiful ending. everyone is happy It was a sensible episode of the character. There are times when there are hopes and disappointments. according to the facts of life In the end, we have to accept it. Life has to go on.:D

Lee Byung Hun never disappoints As well as Kim Hye Ja's acting skills are excellent. They are the most professional in acting.:approves:

Crying, unable to hold back the tears it flows out by itself Seeing the look in Mother Dong Seok's eyes was empty and hopeless. until the end of life Admire Dong Seok for doing a good son's job.:bawling:

The scene where I cried the hardest to be the scene where Dong Suk cries and hugs his mother. When he found out that his mother had died, it was really sad. It's a really great scene. for Lee Byung Hun:thumbsup:

thank you writer director and crew with all the leading actors in the story who create the best works this year You guys work very hard. Both the waterways, the mountains, the heavy snow falls. The weather was volatile, but it was successfully passed.:doggie:

I hope drama Our Blues There will be a prestigious award next year as well.:glasses:

There are many opinions I would like to see. Our Blues hope to have S2 I think it's the perfect ending. All characters are finished. should not be any more:relaxed:

I will wait for their new project again. Hope they get together again.:Pandabulous:

• Like 11

Here are the ratings for the last episode *16*! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Our Blues” Ends On Its Highest Ratings Yet + “From Now On, Showtime!” Rises For Finale

Two beloved dramas came to an end last night!

On June 12, tvN’s hit drama “Our Blues” achieved the highest viewership ratings of its entire run with its series finale. According to Nielsen Korea, the final episode of the star-studded drama scored an average nationwide rating of 14.6 percent, taking first place in its time slot and setting a new personal record for the show.

“Our Blues” Ends On Its Highest Ratings Yet + “From Now On, Showtime!” Rises For Finale | Soompi

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• larus changed the title to [Drama 2022] Our Blues, 우리들의 블루스

June 13, 2022

"Our Blues": Ok Dong got angry for the first time, and the hidden truth was gradually revealed (ep.19)

Korean Drama Sunday, June 12, 2022 16:41 Sani  

Screenshot_2022-06-12_at_9.47.55_PM.png

Photo credit : Netflix 

It seems that the scriptwriter really wants to leave the suspense of Ok Dong until the last episode, must watch tonight’s episode!

The popular healing tvN drama "Our Blues " has come to its last two episodes, The story of Ok Dong (Kim Hye Ja) and Dong Seok  (Lee Byung Hun), a mother and son who are enemies, has finally peeled off like an onion, with the mother's patience and sorrow, and the son's resentment and anger, each layer of which brings unstoppable tears…..

Does Ok Dong have guilty feelings towards Dong Seok?

Ok Dong tried her best to help Dong Seok’s  stepfather organize a memorial service, , but Jong U is still not nice to mother and son, not only blaming Dong Seok for his father's death, but also calling the mother and son beggars.  Ok Dong, who had always been obedient to everyone, suddenly burst out in anger, supporting her weak body and retaliating with all her might:  Your father was obviously killed by you, Dong Seok did nothing wrong, why did you treat him like that? I worked as a maid in your house for more than ten years, and what did I get?

Ok Dong fulfills her dying wish list one by one: to visit Man Su, to give money to Chun Hee, to return to her hometown, but she can't read or write, she doesn't know that Madang-Ri has already become a reservoir. Until now, Ok Dong is still gentle and kind to everyone, even to the dogs on the roadside, but not to Dong Seok. What was on her mind?

Screenshot_2022-06-12_at_9.48.07_PM.png

Dong Seok  gritted his teeth to help Ok Dong realize her last wish

When Dong Seok saw Ok Dong defending him, he thought that Ok Dong knew what he was going through all along. However, when he tried to ask Ok Dong if she  knew how much she had hurt him, Ok Dong freezed up and asked, "What do I have to apologize to you for?” The hope and warmth that had easily risen in his heart was instantly extinguished.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-06-12_at_9.48.15_PM.png

Jong U despised Dong Seok, and Jong Cheol used the phrase "everyone was having  a hard time then" to gently glide over the violence that occured, but Dong Seok never got an apology for his past grievances . Even the owner of the restaurant was very perfunctory towards the mother and son, but Ok Dong kept on controlling her anger under her breath, making Dong Seok even angrier: Why on earth did my mother do  this to me? No matter how much he asked, Ok Dong remained silent.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-06-12_at_9.48.24_PM.png

Young-Ok met Jung Joon’s parents for the first time and the atmosphere was extraordinary

Young Ok agreed to meet Jung Joon’s parents while she was still drunk, but after sobering up, she became extremely nervous, believing that the elders would not welcome a daughter-in-law with a disabled person in the family. When she finally arrived at Jung Joon's house, Jung Joon’s father read the newspaper by himself and did not talk to Young Ok. His mother refused to accept Young Ok’s help when cooking, and avoided her eyes even at dinner time.  Young Ok  almost could not bear it and nearly bolted.

Jung Joon’s mother gave Young Ok  a piece of chicken leg, and finally said: “It must be really hard for you to take care of the handicapped sister alone. There was choking in her voice. It turned out that Jung Joon’s parents did not dislike Young Ok, but they were a little ill-spoken. Jung Joon’s father also instructed her  to complain to him  if Jung Joon bullied her. Young Ok, who has always been overwhelmed by the heavy burden of her sister, is now deeply healed by the kind and warm family.

Screenshot_2022-06-12_at_9.48.46_PM.png

In the preview of the next episode, Dong Seok carried Ok Dong on his back to visit the graveyard of his grandfather and grandmother, and found that she was only skin and bones.  OK Dong wanted to see the snow-covered  Baeklutan in Mt. Halla. Dong Seok told her to wait rather than continuing. He went to the top of the mountain to take pictures. Dong Seok asked Ok Dong, "If you are reincarnated again, will you still be mother and son with me?" Yudong instructed him not to give her a funeral or cry for her. Dong Seok  touched Ok Dong's hand and said softly, "Mom." Tonight is the finale, and I have a hunch that I will burst into tears .

https://www.koreastardaily.com/tc/news/141785

• Like 8

June 13, 2022

Our Blues – K-Drama Episode 20 Recap, Review & Ending Explained

12/06/2022 by Greg Wheeler

Ok-Dong & Dong-Seok 3

Episode 20 of Our Blues is feature length, at a little over 90 minutes long, and boy does it deserve it. There are a lot of story threads left hanging so let’s dive in.

Given what’s going on with Dong-Seok right now, there’s a reprieve in the form of Seon-A booking a flight to Jeju Island. She’s got her life together, working in construction, while simultaneously keeping up appearances for Yeol. Later in the episode though, she does message Dong-Seok and cancel on him, given Yeol has hurt himself. As we soon find out, this happens to be a blessing in disguise

What happened on Ok-Dong’s past?

Dong-Seok and Ok-Dong head up to Madang-Ri, wandering through the forest to find the spot where her village was. The thing is, she’s not exactly wearing ideal footwear and ends up twisting her ankle. Eventually they make it to the other side of the reservoir, where Dong-Seok learns Ok-Dong only really visited this spot once after having Dong-I.

Ok-Dong’s parents passed away when she was six and seven, with them both dying a year apart from one another. She also lost Dong-Seok’s “aunt” back then, along with her older brother when she was 13. He was bitten by a snake, and buried next to her parents.

After learning more about her mother’s past, Dong-Seok takes pity on her, especially when he sees her limping.

As storm clouds rumble, Dong-Seok gives her his coat and a piggyback to the truck. As the rain hammers down, drumming on the roof rhythmically, Dong-Seok confronts Ok-Dong about the past. “I had no one back then. The only person I had was my mum.” He says. “That day, you took my mum away from me.”

Does Ok-Dong apologize?

Ok-Dong calls herself crazy, speaking from the third person, as she reveals how she felt back then. She moved in just to make sure he had 3 meals and a good school life but it wasn’t enough. When she stood by and watched as he was beaten, Ok-Dong felt ashamed and as she cries, willowing in her own self-pity and shame, she tells Dong-Seok not to throw a funeral for her. Dong-Seok struggles to hold back tears.

Dong-Seok takes OK-Dong to the hospital, where it’s revealed she needs to stay hospitalized if she wants to survive. Ok-Dong doesn’t want to though and tells him to take her back home. It’s against the doctor’s orders but Dong-Seok does it anyway. After all, when has he ever followed the rules?

After fixing her up with some comfortable shoes, they head out to a Chinese restaurant for some jajangmyeon. This time though it’s much more civilized, with Dong-Seok even cutting Ok-Dong’s noodles up for her. Dong-Seok used to eat this before his father passed away.

Next, they head to Gusa Town, which is quite far away but it’s the spot she met Dong-Seok’s father. It’s here he understands how rough she’s had it in the past.

Do Ok-Dong and Dong-Seok heal their wounds?

After their trip, they head back on the boat where Dong-Seok shows a picture of Yeong-Ju and Hyeon’s baby girl. Dong-Seok also helps Ok-Dong with her writing, spelling out all the family names on the window.

When Ok-Dong falls asleep, Dong-Seok makes a big decision and drives her up to Mount Halla, the place he used to frequent when he was angry. She’s never been there before, and he does so to at least give her some good memories at the end of her life.

When they arrive halfway up the mountain, Dong-Seok agrees to take her to Baengnokdam Lake. It takes around 4-5 hours to get up there, but Ok-Dong is adamant. They walk barely 30 minutes before the pair sit down, in the wilderness, and talk. Dong-Seok reassures her that those deaths in the past are not her fault, and encourages her to open up about what her happiest memory is. “Right now. I love this trip we’re taking to mount Halla right now.”

Does Ok-Dong make it to the lake?

Realizing she may not make it, Dong-Seok decides to go on ahead to the lake for her, adamant on taking a picture for her and letting her see the lake. While Dong-Seok is heading up the mountain alone, determined to do the best for her, Ok-Dong attempts to ring Jong-U. After, she slumps down on the table.

Meanwhile, Dong-Seok progresses forward but he’s unable to go any further due to the deteriorating weather This journey is as much a cathartic journey of healing as it is doing something for his mum, and he records a video for her, encouraging Ok-Dong to head out to the Lake just them two together.

After sending it over, Dong-Seok drives Ok-Dong back to Jeju Island again, with the trip having done wonders to heal their wounds. He even takes her up to the house he’s been fixing up for Seon-A. In fact, Seon-A and Yeol are both there together. Ok-Dong gets to meet them both, uttering to Seon-A that Dong-Seok has a very kind heart, watching as he and Yeol swing together on the seat outside, discussing horse riding.

Does Ok-Dong pass away?

Back home, OK-Dong fixes up some stew for her son to enjoy. She has a big smile on her face, as Dong-Seok heads over that morning to see her. Only, she’s lying down and not moving. She’s passed away.

As Dong-Seok hugs his mother, he reflects back on how he never really resented her, he just wanted to reconcile with her and make up. As he lets the tears flow, he hugs her tightly; the other residents around Jeju rush up to check on him.

How does Our Blues end?

We then cut forward 1 month later. Dong-Seok helps out Chun-Hui for the upcoming Athletic meet, while continuing to sell wares from his truck. A load has definitely been lifted from him, and that much is especially true when all the residents (including a returning Mi-Ran) join for the athletic meet.

All the different groups are there, teamed up together. It’s a really nice moment to show how far all these guys have come (more on this in the review part!) while Dong-Seok and Chun-Hui run together with Seon-A and Eun-Hi watching on.

Yeong-Ok heads over and gives Seon-A a uniform and encourages her to get involved too. The group have been through so much, as a beautiful montage ensues to bring this wonderful show to an end.

The Episode Review

Most of this episode has been taken up with the complicated relationship between OK-Dong and Dong-Seok, which has multiple layers of drama to it. Many people who haven’t had this sort of rocky relationship will probably not quite understand the dynamic (I know I don’t fully appreciate it, given I’m pretty close to my mum) but it’s beautifully portrayed across this season nonetheless.

This whole chapter has some beautifully symbolic moments too. Seeing Dong-Seok go on that long walk feels like a cathartic journey, something that he’s needed in order to work through his emotions and do something for his mum.

Meanwhile, Ok-Dong has been through a helacious ordeal and has taken out her passive-aggressive feelings on Dong-Seok, remarrying just so they have a roof over their heads but losing her son in the process, as he grew more resentful of her over the years. It’s taken a long time to heal, and it’s particularly telling that when Ok-Dong attempts to ring Jong-U, wanting to resolve everything properly, and he doesn’t pick up.

Ok-Dong’s death hits pretty hard in that respect, and the scene itself reminds me a lot of Joyce’s death in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The silence, the raw emotion and the slow realization at what’s happened; the whole scene is pitch perfect.

The critic in me though wishes we actually saw more from the different residents. How are Yeong-Ju and Hyeon coping with their new baby? What’s going on with Myeong-Bo after the domestic violence? And do Dal-i and Ki-Jun actually get together? None of these storylines have really been resolved, and a bit of closure would have been nice on that front.

However, the final scenes with the Athletic Meet are a wonderful way of symbolically showing how everyone has come together to win in their respective journeys. Yeong-Ok and Jeong-Ju run perfectly in-sync together. In-Gwon and Ho-Sik stumble but then get back up and keep running, while Dong-Seok helps out Chun-Hui, who have both found solace in one another following Ok-Dong’s death.

Although not everything has been wrapped up perfectly, this beautifully written anthological drama still manages to deliver the goods in this final chapter, rounding everyone out with a poignant, heartfelt and beautifully written episode. Can we please get a second season?

Previous Episode

Expect A Full Season Write-Up When This Season Concludes!

• Episode Rating
    (4)

Categories

Drama, romance, TV Shows

Tags

2022, Cha Seung-Won, Han Ji-Min, kdrama, Kim Hye-Ja, Lee Byung-Hun, Lee Jung-Eun, netflix, Shin Min-A, tv shows, Uhm Jung-Hwa

1 thought on “Our Blues – K-Drama Episode 20 Recap, Review & Ending Explained”

• The story of Ok Dong and Dong Seok is very relatable for me in a large extent as my family was broken since I was young and my mother tried moving on with other people to keep food on our table. The only thing I could not relate to is the screaming and throwing of things at my own mother. In fact, I dealt with it in other ways so I somehow understood why Dong Seok was who he was in the earlier episodes. As I grew older I understood why my mother did what she did and Ok Dong explained it all too well. I’m glad that Dong Seok found closure and managed to make his mother’s final days a good one. How I wish that they managed to climb Mount Halla together in the following year….

Source:  https://www.thereviewgeek.com/ourblues-s1endingexplained

• Like 8

That was so profound. Overwhelming, really.

Ultimately, there was no declarative "I am sorry," nor "I love you."

But she did enough. She defended her son against her Butthole stepson's insults. She admitted that her actions were that of a "crazy person" thereby acknowledging that she was wrong. She made him his favorite food as her last act on earth. She looked at him with tenderness and wonder as he wrote the words she wanted to know on the ferry window, while watching that video he made of himself while mountain climbing, and while meeting his girlfriend and her son - that look of adoration that he wanted all his life.

She did all that she could. If I had to identify what the problem was, I would say that she was profoundly depressed. Her husband and daughter's death broke her, and she never recovered. It's like when Dong-seok said to Seon-ah, "You can be sad, but don't be *just* sad like my mom."

But such analysis or trying to identify a reason feels useless to me now. Every moment of these last two episodes were painful not just because she was dying, but also mourning the fact that if only they'd reached out to each other earlier, they could have reconnected and enjoyed more of these times together. But that's just not how it happened. These two intensely stubborn people just couldn't get there emotionally.

And that’s the story. We can always say, “Obviously, so-and-so should do *this* to make their life better!” But this is a story about people who made choices that were different, that is how they lived their lives, and it is what it is.

==

I usually watch Netflix with Korean subtitles in order to improve my Korean. But I just re-watched that scene in Episode 19 where Ok-dong finally lets loose on Jong-wu with English subtitles, and felt the need to point these out:

Jong-wu called them "beggars,” not just "pitiful"

“We should be thankful that (Dong-seok) didn’t take it out on us or harm himself!” - She actually said, “We should be thankful that he didn’t take a knife to us or cut his own belly open!”

The English subtitles merely say "I took take of your sick mother for 15 years” and “your sick father like a slave for over 10 years.” What she actually said was: “I took care of your mother who couldn’t move at all for 15 years,” and “I changed your father’s poo-diapers for over 10 years.”

I’m not going to rewatch the whole thing just to point these things out. But wow, the English subtitles on Netflix are disappointing. In this particular scene, I think they really failed to convey the intensity and bitterness of her words.

==

Anyway, this was a great show. It was so special and unique. The emotions were just so profound and each story-arc punched me in the gut.

And it was pretty bonkers that both "Our Blues" and "My Liberation Notes" began airing on the same day. Two amazing masterpiece dramas both airing on weekends? That gave me such huge dilemmas deciding which I should watch first, and how was I supposed to get anything done on weekends? And how am I going to get over these huge voids these dramas have left behind? (Of course, saving one of them to watch later was not an option.)

So now that they are both over, I would describe "My Liberation Notes" as a glass of very good wine, and "Our Blues" as a soju bomb that hits you over the head.

• Like 7
  • Shocked 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 2

What an emotional journey for this drama but I truly enjoyed it all the way to the end.

There is no soul in the world that has not been hurt, and the same goes to regret, not only just Dongxi, every character in the drama lives with hidden pain, they try to get rid of the haze and predicament, I think the audience should be able to resonate and learn from it after watching it. Gain inspiration and hope.

In the drama, the reconciliation between Lee Byung-hun and Kim Hye-ja's mother and son relationship was the climax of the ending. The touching tear-jerking plot did live up to the audience's expectations. I read from different forums that many audience members exclaimed (including myself) : "I was in tears when I watched the preview before, but after watching the ending, I cried like running water again, and I was relieved to see the happy ending!"

I hope this year TVN best couple award goes to this mother & son (Lee Byung-hun and Kim Hye-ja) they are the best deserved couple - old but gold....both shine on the last part of the EP. 

Many viewers frustrated why the mom couldn't even say a sorry word to his son which he kept questioning her during the trip. Both are obstinate, and deep down in her heart, she was self inferior, a soft hearted, uneducated and old traditional woman during those days. Not many women can make a good decision for themselves and for their children after their spouses left them. If any opportunity comes, they will likely choose to remarry so that their young child or children have a proper food and shelter. It also depends a lot on the character of the woman. Dongxi's mother has soft character and endured for many years. If she has strong character, she will highly likely run away from the house with her son, after seeing her son bitten up by the two step sons. 

There is a saying : Character determines your destiny in life, I totally agree with that. I am a living example, my mom is a strong woman and thanks to her, we can now live in one of the best countries because she chose to bravely leave this small hometown...instead of living together with those old bullied relatives in the same town.

Character is hard to change, but the mindset can do. As long as one party takes the courage (the son did, everytime he blown out his bad temper but his action against it and he still fulfilled his mom final wishes). Likewise, the mother cooked for his son's favourite dish before dying....so touching...

Using sincere action and mutual communication during the trip are the most powerful way to amend the broken relationship, this has vividly shown on the last two EP - very heartwarming....

Each story struck a chord. If everyone touched while watching this drama, it means that we are truly fortunate because there are many people out there still need to wake up early morning (fish market) and struggle hard for a living. 

A masterpiece of work with phenomenal acting, 5 thumbs up for the writer, director, actors and production team - filled with love and support !!!

• Like 10
  • Insightful 1

June 14, 2022

"Our Blues" finale sets a new high rating! Dong Seok climbs to the top of Mount Halla for Ok Dong, and finally spoke from his heart  at the last moment (ep.20) (a translation)

Korean Drama Monday, June 13, 2022 16:47 San

Screenshot_2022-06-14_at_9.54.15_PM.png

Photo credit : Netflix 

Congratulations to everyone for finishing a rare but great drama! The last episode of "Our Blues" aired last night, and the ratings surged from 7.3% at the beginning to 14.6% at the end, everyone including Ok Dong and Dong Seok left the audience deeply moved ❤

The tvN healing drama "Our Blues Time" finally finished 20 episodes after two months, taking everyone  through the different life moments of each of the 15 main characters and leaving a deep emotional afterglow. The last episode was led by award winning actor Lee Byung Hun and "national treasure" award winning actress Kim Hye Ja, which earned the audience's tears without any suspense.   

The happiest day of Ok Dong's life

After being questioned by Dong Seok, Ok Dong finally revealed the reason for her indifference to Dong Seok: I am a crazy woman who not only led my  daughter to her death, but also thought that her son would be fine as long as he had food and shelter and did not  have to go out and risk his life to earn money. Having lost her parents and brother in childhood, she had no chance to receive an education and had no idea what it was like to be a parent. Ok Dong did not mean to treat Dong Seok badly, but she never knew his son's inner desire for maternal love.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-06-14_at_9.54.34_PM.png

Ok Dong looked at the place where her relatives rested, revisited the small shop where she and her husband met for the first time, and asked Dong Seok to write down names on the window, from her parents, husband, children to the cats and dogs at home, which represented for her  the most important existence. Ok Dong  also wanted to see the most beautiful Baengnokdam Lake in the world according to her son.  She watched the video that Dong Seok had taken alone for her on the summit over and over again. At night, she meets her son's gentle and kind girlfriend, Sun Ah, at Dong Seok’s cottage and is overjoyed.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-06-14_at_9.54.46_PM.pngO

Screenshot_2022-06-14_at_9.54.58_PM.png

Ok Dong woke up early the next day, happily made Dong Seok's favorite soup, and went back under the blanket to rest while waiting for him. Her face was calm and peaceful, as if she no longer had any regrets or worries.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-06-14_at_9.55.09_PM.png

Dong Seok’s heartfelt feelings

When Dong Seok carried Ok Dong on his back and walked up the mountain, he found her incredibly thin and his eyes instantly turned red. This time he finally asked his mother for an answer, and the grievances he had accumulated over the years turned into tears that kept pouring out.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-06-14_at_9.55.19_PM.png

Dong Seok asked Ok Dong:  if there is an afterlife; if his temper is not so bad;  would she still be willing to be a mother and son with him? Ok Dong nodded. Dong Seok finally reached the top of Mt Halla , but found that the weather was too bad to go near the Baengnokdam Lake. He took out his cell phone to record and with tearing eyes said: When the flowers bloom in spring, I will bring my mother here.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-06-14_at_9.55.32_PM.png

It is not that Dong Seok hates Doenjang jjigae, but because the Doenjang jjigae made by others does not taste like his mother’s. The next morning, Dong Seok  came to eat the Doenjang jjigae made by Ok Dong, and suddenly realized that his mother was gone . He lay down beside his mother, hugged her thin body tightly, and cried a lot. Only then did Dong Seok understand that he never really hated his mother, but hoped to hug her tightly, reconcile with her, and cried out all his grievances in his mother's arms.

Screenshot_2022-06-14_at_9.55.42_PM.png

"Life Goes On"

A month after Ok Dong's funeral, everyone's life resumed as busy and full as before, except that Ok Dong's booth was gone from the market. Everyone was back for the field day held in the village and the neighbouring villages, some competing, some cheering, everyone laughing and enjoying the beauty of life.

Screenshot_2022-06-14_at_9.55.51_PM.png

End credits: "There is one thing that we must remember in our lifetime. We weren’t born into this world to suffer or feel miserable.  We were born to be happy.  We wish everyone happiness.” It is exactly what is written in the project: "Sending support to all those who are at the end, the top or the beginning of their lives. Do not fall down, it is not over yet. Stay alive and be happy, I want to support you.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-06-14_at_9.56.08_PM.png

This episode brought many viewers to tears, and they all called it as a new life drama: "The last day of Ok Dong's life was the happiest, she went to sleep with a smile on her face, got up at dawn, and cooked soup and waited for her son"; "I started crying when Dong Seok wrote on the glass of the boat"; "It does not matter if the viewers do not understand or forgive Ok Dong, as long as Dong Seok is willing to reconcile"; "Maybe Ok Dong feels that she does not need to be forgiven, and it does not matter if people complained about her"; "Life is not all about answers. "I really like the ending, this is life, although there are times of sadness, it is even more cherished. Happiness is precious", “As long as there are dramas by Noh Hee Kyung,  that is the happiest thing."

Source:  https://www.koreastardaily.com/tc/news/141803

• Like 7