[Drama 2022] Twenty-Five Twenty-One ​⌛ 스물다섯 스물하나

Maetawinz

2 hours ago, aisling said:

I know the writer chose to tell this story about nostalgia, first love and youth but the fact they never showed us Heedo’s husband and how she’s happy with him - Mr Kim will always come second for us viewers and that’s why I feel so disconnected from the ending. I wouldn’t be against the concept of two of them helping each other when they needed it but eventually parted ways because that’s realistic and that’s life. 

I feel like the 2021 time era ruined the overall story. I wouldn't mind seeing a nostalgia drama about a character's youth and first love but it felt disconnected. The series would been better if it was about 2009 Hee-Do looking back at her youth on how she started fencing and how see became best friends with her idol turned rival as she about to announce her retirement from the sport. 

The writer didn't need to introduce Min-Chae (the drama even forgot that she suppose to exist in 2009) or middle aged Hee-Do (Who somehow forgot about her high school days) 

If I was the writer, I would had Episode 1 start out with the 2009 Interview where Hee-Do talks about retiring and her last match with Yu-Rim. Then we transition into Madrid 2001 where Hee-Do is about duel with Yu-Rim. This where we start the scene where Hee-Do runs towards the school.

In Episode 16, we end the drama with Hee-Do announcing her retirement and Yu-Rim comes to congratuate her and then a flashback of the Squad running into the tunnel.      

• Like 5

Wow, that was BITTERSWEET.

That actually HURTS.

Waaaaa. :tears::tears::tears:

Still a wonderful drama though. That brilliant, shining moment of youth, crystallized in the past.

People do break up, and they do move on. It happens. But it still HURTS.

I do have to admit - I cried the most when Heedo and Yurim embraced after their Madrid match. Not that the OTP didn't also punch me in the gut, but that was so beautiful.

Very happy that everyone had a happy ending. And yes, I do include Yijin and Heedo. They loved each other fiercely, then it ended. But they treasure what they had together. Life moved on for them.

(Mostly, I'm just trying to calm myself down. Ah, seriously... :tears::tears::tears:  K-drama, why you gotta hurt me?)

So... something funny and cute. That guy at the cell phone store was a cameo by Kim Nam-hee, and he was parodying this classic K-drama scene:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Raynaa said:

I love happy endings. But that’s not my bone of contention with the writers.

Young Heedo and even mom Heedo in 2009 played by Kim Taeri is full of life it’s not about youth it’s not about looks she has conviction and confidence. Like an athlete of her stature and her accomplishments should. The 41 year Heedo (I’m not blaming the actress at all since it’s the directors/PDs responsibility to make her act in line with the character) if I were to describe in one word looks *defeated*. Defeated not by a game but by life. She seems to be still holding on to snippets of the past through the name of her workshop 2521 and she seems to not have had closure. Everyone may have a first love but how many people would drive to a tunnel so many years later to reminiscence. It’s another story if you’re passing by. Younger Heedo even when she broke up with Yi Jin had conviction that she doesn’t want to live a life waiting. But as the 41 year old she still seems to be living a husband less life again waiting. Athletes look at wins and losses very closely they have discipline and back bones of steel. Then how did she lose the plot of her own life? It’s not really possible to reconcile the Hee Do shown in 2009 even to the Hee Do in 2021. Im not even trying to reconcile with the bright eyed innocent teenager Heedo. Also slice of life dramas always focus on hope but 41 year old Heedo seems resigned to her fate. As an athlete you are accustomed to fighting against all odds. As a gold medalist with so much mental strength and will power why has she resigned to her fate now? Moreover first love is the past for most, people move on except the lucky ones who married them and stayed married. But Heedo hasn’t moved on. She’s still very much attached yet denying her past( not remembering her summer beach trip and still running to the tunnel in the last scene).it’s the character development that got to me. it’s a downhill curve and it doesn’t make sense. 

also Min Chae in the last episode is very detached to the last diary she doesn’t seem curious. Also through the series why isn’t she curious or attached or disturbed by the fact that the story she is reading is not her father? As today’s teens are gutsy and inquisitive and vocal why didn’t she ask her mother if she was happy then or is she happy now. How can you be so engrossed in reading a diary that you can put aside the fact that you are reading about your own mom with someone else. Especially since your dad is still out and you would have seen your mom lonely. 

lastly with all the nationality issues YurIm is back in  Korea and with her bf but The main couple couldn’t survive LDR? And why couldn’t he marry her and take her with him to Us and they shuttle between countries. He has a new job that paid she’s a world class athlete. It’s the 2000’s for gods sake not 80’s. Communication and travel had decently developed at this point. And two people who supported each other’s professional growth shaped each other’s personality left each other for their careers over each other. It doesn’t tie out. The character developments, the love story and the message of the series that some relationships like spring and cherry blossoms are beautiful but ephemeral they are three separate parallel lines that didn’t intersect to make sense. 

THIS!!!!! Yes!!!!! Omg, thank you for writing this. This is what I don’t get about the ending. They took the bright and energetic Hee Do we come to know and gave her a crappy love story and also life story too. In the end, she is still living in the past memories and waiting for her husband. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Skysky said:

No kidding but some of fans theories are much much better than the real ending lmao. 

I will watch an edited version of this drama with all the present scenes removed  :grin: the current timeline was so out of place.  I’ll pretend this drama ended after the 2009 interview and I will go with the theory that they got married in secret while supporting each other on their professional journey. Not only the ending sucks, the scene where the 4 friends got together at SW’s dad’s funeral felt so bland to me.  I don’t know what the writer tried to show here.  As if to contrast the beautiful & youthful summer they had together at the beach with this gloomy and depressing current life where the gang (5-1) only saw each other at someone’s funeral.  Seriously, I feel like the current timeline was written by a completely different writer.  It’s hard to move on when there’s so much disappointment after my time investment. I should just rewatch Our beloved summer, heck, that couple survived long distance relationship and got married in the end after the 5 year breakup. They should have hired OBS writer for ep 16.

• Like 4

(((HUGS))) to everyone.

Wow.

Well, sometimes young love goes on and lasts a lifetime. (Ji-wung and Yurim)

And sometimes it doesn't. But...

I agree with @Raynaa - it's not just that OTP didn't end up together. There is a disconnect between Young Heedo and Older Heedo that's never coherently explained. We want at least some indication that they moved on from this and it was fine. But we never get that.

• Like 3

the show was saying that these two were destined to keep on meeting

that was even returned to when they accidentally exchanged luggage

or when heedo dropped her diary on the bus

if they met at 22 -26, what could have happened?

is it possible that they still kept accidentally meeting after?

or was all that also just baiting/red herring?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, seabysea18 said:

Not only the ending sucks, the scene where the 4 friends got together at SW’s dad’s funeral felt so bland to me.  I don’t know what the writer tried to show here.

SW's dad was never even in the drama so how can we feel emotionally invested on what happened to her dad? 

• Like 3

the drama could have been one of the drama that i will recommended to my friend if it have a better ending. atleast it a break through drama for nam jo hyuk before he enlisted

the writer could have make it better if they choose that baekdo is just a memory. both of them should be happy with their own partner in the 2021. my ending will be like both of them smile when remembering the past. min cahe is the one who go to tunnel and then flashback to baek do narrate their feeling/diary. minchae shoul represent us the viewer. she should be the one understand even though nothing last forever, she should live passionately like her mom cause now her mom is awesome and happy despite broken heart and some failure. i wish the writer can write something like that

it does not make sense anyway cause the writer already show us that thier love so strong and just kinda breakk like that. so the ending felt rushed

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, kboramint said:

SW's dad was never even in the drama so how can we feel emotionally invested on what happened to her dad? 

was that really her dad? she and mom looked so unaffected.

was the purpose of the funeral to show that they are so out of touch, they could not get together unless someone's dead?

what I picked up from the scene was that 1) na heedo is not very enthusiastic with her own marriage (jiwoong and yurim's remarks was unnecessary because there's an engagement scene after) 2) yijin and heedo were not talking because yijin just watches her life progress on the news ---- these two things I would rather not know actually. A happy heedo is what I've preferred, and would have been nice if she and yijin are "cool" with each other. 3) they needed seung wan and yihun to meet.

• Like 6

Honestly, the best part of the show for me was Yu Rim and Hee Do!  The story that developed between the two from the beginning until the end was well-written.  Just disappointed that it wasn't the same for Yi Jin and Hee Do.  I was fine with Yi Jin and Hee Do breaking up at the end, but I just think the execution was abrupt and had potential to be done better.  Overall, 8/10 for me.  The acting was phenomenal from everyone and the story was good enough to keep me hooked every weekend.  Thank you show.  Now on to the next one.  

• Like 5

Honestly, the post credit was unnecessary for me. We all know they were each other's first loves. Joo Hyuk and Tae Ri conveyed it incredibly well, hence there was no need to literally confirm it. What I need is a proper closure for Ye Jin and Hee Do's character in the present since the writer brought it up. I really don't mind heart-wrenching endings. I even love Japanese Movies for their bittersweet endings ("Your lie in April", where they didn't end up together. But the difference in the latter is that I can see the growth in the ML who was left behind; finally overcoming his trauma and finding inspiration to live life from that experience.) It seems that present Hee Do is still caught up in the past. She feels like an entirely different character, instead of progressing it seems going backwards. I'm sorry, this is how I feel. I just feel so sad. :(

Edited by Emmy Joyce
  • Like 9

Hi everyone, who get disappointed with last ep of 2521. 

I need to write this or else I can't move on. 

First of all, I really really like this drama. The last drama that I fell in love hardly was her private life and hometown cha cha cha. Then I lose my appetite to watch Korean drama live. Till I watch the first and second eps of 2521. I fell in love in the first ep. Yeah, I fall in love deeply with this drama. I always watch the drama 2-3 times on Saturday night and Sunday night - sacrifice my precious sleep on the weekend. 

The writer writes NHD and BYJ characters soooo well. This is not my usual Kdrama and the actors nailed it. The story of youthful energy with a lot of hardship but they can handle it in their own way. It reminds me of my youth era with a lot of hardship but I don't have a good memory of it. So, this drama is like my dream. I hope for a happy ending for NHD and BYJ - THEY GET MARRIED TO EACH OTHER and are STILL STRONG TILL 2021. 

But, what I watch last night break my heart!!!

First stage: I'm not feeling anything when I read the live recap on Twitter, NOT EVEN CRYING like others. Then, I smile when I see KYR and JW proposed scene and SW with YH scene. 

Second stage: I watch it on Netflix, then I feel sad. I can't digest the breaking scene, why? 

- Why HD can't give YJ a second chance? She is the one who not say anything about her emotion or her feeling but then she asks YJ to share all misfortune, sadness, and happiness with her. 

- Why is YJ not trying to hold on to HD. He knows that HD loves him soo much. He is not trying! he just confronts her when she is the one who contacts him first. Where is our Brave YJ? Why the writer/PD make him soo lifeless? 

- Why HD keep all the 19-21 memories in her life? you say you do not see a future with YJ, yet you married with (none existed) husband. 

- What do mean by the 2009 scene? both of them still in love, still holding onto their love. Its not humanity love, but it is passionate and devoted love. 

Third stage: I try to watch it again, hoping that I can find an answer to all these questions. But NO. I'm not find it! I FEEL ANGRY AND BETRAYED by the writer/PD. Makes me bad mood on Monday morning. 

First time watch Kim Tae Ri and I like her. With Nam Jo Hyuk, this is my fourth drama with him, and this is his best performance so far. I hope they can be together again in ROMANTIC COMEDY Drama with HAPPY ENDING. 

@Raynaa I second your opinion. Love you guys! Thank you for reading my rant and lemme know that not only me who was dissapointed with the last ep. Hope you can move on too. I have an important UAT for my first product today hahaha, that's why I need to express my feeling now, or else I can't do my job properly. 

Thank you and Cheer up!

See you in other drama (hopefully)

• Like 11

First love is the most unforgettable ones but for me I can't even remember if mine was memorable one. I really like this drama too like everyone else staying up late to watch it on Netflix. Tbh I always sneaky watch it before watching together with my bf. I know long distance relationships is difficult to maintain but if both doesn't put any effort it will be difficult. Understanding and trust is very important. But I truly believe if HD can endure it thru then both will sure have happy ending. I'm still sad over this ending. I can't believe it just leave everything unsolved. I believe Naver and other social media will be scolding the director now. I don't feel sorry for the director.. I just want to tell the director.. "wth" ..lolz.. okay let's get back to work. 

• Like 4

• Maetawinz changed the title to [Drama 2022] Twenty-Five Twenty-One ​⌛ 스물다섯 스물하나 - Nam Joo Hyuk / Kim Tae ri :: Sat & Sun @ 22:30 KST ::
1 hour ago, kboramint said:

There's a post-credit scene? Middle Age YiJin's password is Na Hee-Do? What's the point of that? Does this mean we'll see a Season 2? 

yeah, I guess there will be SS2, K-drama is catching up with US drama to seasons and seasons for commercial $ 

• Like 1

Hugs to all Baekdo endgame viewers, our hearts are hurting, let’s cry together. 

Just like how many of you have already expressed, the ending left me unsatisfied. We got introduced to young Hee Do, who worked so hard to become a great fencer. Along the way, she met BYJ, who was her support. When he was away, she found a way to send her support to him and him back to her. They were good friends, then they became more than that. He told her he loved her and he wanted to be by her side and watch her become a great person. She said she didn’t care if their relationship was a rainbow or whatever, she didn’t want him to leave her. He said he loved her with everything of him and she said the same back. He told her they need to love each other as much as possible without regrets while they are still alive. So what happened? 

In the drama, HD was such a strong character, she was like a fresh if bright air for BYJ. BYJ had a lot of internal struggles because of his family so he couldn’t express things out. She knew that about him before heading into a relationship with him. So why did she pull back? 

Like someone said above, YR stopped communicating with HD and she was ok with that, but why couldn’t she understand that BYJ was working abroad? So it was ok for her to achieve her dream as a fencer but not allow him to achieve his? It wasn’t like she wasn’t missing out on him, she can watch him on TV. He can also watch her on TV too. Couldn’t they have taken a step back from their relationship, put it on hold and work on their career dreams, then come back to see if they are still in love? 

Why did we need to see the 2009 interview between them? To me, it hurts….because you can still see how clearly they miss each other. Do you think if they had held on…they could have gotten back after that 2009 interview? It wasn’t like he wasn’t around, he was still working with her mom. By then, she will retire and he is back from oversea. Things would be more stable, communication would be better between them because they are now adults with adult experiences. 

But instead, the writers choose to have this young first love theme and broke them up. To some people, it makes perfect sense but to me it doesn’t. In life, we look for that special someone who can push us to become a better and bigger person, to love us unconditionally. I felt they have that and it was portrayed well from the beginning episodes. So yeah, I’m devastated at the ending because they took this beautiful HD character and turned her life around. In the end, she still is stuck in 2521 with her shop, her red car, her rainbow chairs, her diary of memories, and no husband around. If they have extended the episodes and have us see that they both tried their hardest to make it work and when it didn’t, then that’s fine. I can live with that kind of ending knowing our strong minded HD tried her hardest or our BYJ loved her so much, he tried but it didn’t work. But they write her character to get married in the middle of her career, with a baby no less. How the heck did she have time to do all that? Maybe if she had gotten married after her retirement, it would made it more believable that she moved on, especially with that 2009 interview. 

For me, if they didn’t end up together, I would have liked the story to end up with old HD’s happier and surrounded by her daughter and husband. That she gave up her love with BYJ and found someone better who loved her more. Instead, we didn’t get that and that’s what hurts about her character for me. Why does the side characters get a happy ending but she didn’t? 

So for me, 2521 ended at episode 15. She waited for him, she worked hard as a fencer and he worked hard as a reporter. They send their support to each other by following the news about each other. Then they meet again later when he returns and get married. She retires from fencing and owns a shop and he travels back and forth because he’s a news correspondent. They have a beautiful daughter…..

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

I feel so bad for smiling and sometimes laughing, reading all the rants all over forums and twitters when i myself still tears up everytime i watch the tunnel scenes. My attention has always been about Tae Ri. Her expression, her gesture, her mannerism. I adore all of them. But the parting scene at the sideroad, that was the first time Nam Joo Hyuk divert my attention from Tae Ri. The way he look away once he sees Hee Do, trying to control his emotion. And he repeats it when he pauses after tying her shoelace before standing up and hug her. You can clearly feel how he hates letting her go but he needs to do it to "protect" their love and their special bond to each other.

By the way i found this thread at twitter and i love it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1