[Drama 2022] Through The Darkness /Those Who Read Hearts of Evil, 악의 마음을 읽는 자들

larus

Key Points To Anticipate In Final Episode Of “Through The Darkness”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Mar 12, 2022
by L. Kim

There’s only one nail-biting episode left in SBS’s “Through the Darkness”!

Set in the late 1990s, “Through the Darkness” is a drama based on the story of South Korea’s first criminal profiler. Kim Nam Gil stars as Song Ha Young, a member of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency’s Criminal Behavior Analysis team, while Jin Sun Kyu plays his friend and colleague Guk Young Soo who originally brought him onto the team. Kim So Jin stars as Yoon Tae Goo, the team leader of the Mobile Investigation Unit at the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency.

Spoilers

The production team shared key points ahead of the grand finale:

Song Ha Young’s confrontation with the final serial killer

Before the second half of “Through the Darkness” was released, director Park Bo Ram predicted that Song Ha Young will have three face-to-face scenes with serial killers. In episode 8, Song Ha Young came across Gu Young Chun (played by Han Jun Woo), the murderer who thought he was superior more than everyone else, and in episode 10, he met Nam Ki Tae (played by Kim Joong Hee), the murderer who showed passion and joy for killing. The last episode will depict Song Ha Young’s encounter with Woo Ho Sung (Na Chul), the killer who hunts down vulnerable women at bus stops.

kim-nam-gil-11.jpg

The choice of Song Ha Young, Korea’s first profiler

In the drama, Song Ha Young put everything on the line to catch serial killers. He even went as far as to think from their point of view. Eventually, he couldn’t handle the torment and got into an accident that made him never want to be a part of the Criminal Behavior Analysis team again.

Song Ha Young, who is stuck between a sense of duty as a police officer and desire to never experience such human agony again, is Korea’s first profiler who is pioneering the way for the future. As such, he will face a crossroads of decisions that no one has ever experienced. What choice will Song Ha Young make next, and how will it affect the future of profiling in Korea?

jin-sun-kyu-1.jpg

Song Ha Young, Guk Young Soo, and Yoon Tae Goo’s continous battle against evil

In the days when there was no concept of psychopath, Guk Young Soo felt the need to analyze criminal behavior and created a team. He even found the perfect person to play a profiler: Song Ha Young. At first, the Criminal Behavior Analysis team was not welcome inside the police. They were looked down on and laughed at by the other policemen. However, their efforts eventually paid off, and now Yoon Tae Goo is actively working with them. With another cruel criminal on the loose, the three of them will team up to fight against evil.

Spoiler

kim-so-jin-1.jpg

The final episode of “Through the Darkness” will air on March 12 at 10 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1516950wpp/key-points-to-anticipate-in-final-episode-of-through-the-darkness

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

• larus changed the title to [Drama 2022] Through The Darkness /Those Who Read Hearts of Evil, 악의 마음을 읽는 자들

am gonna miss every character, except the criminals, in this drama! again, applause for the vision, determination, sacrifices, passion, hard work by the pioneers including characters like woojoo and detective nam to establish bau in south korea! hayoung really needed the break and it was good that he had at least 6 months to recover physically and emotionally. love how positive his mom was, always very cheerful and caring! touched by the conversation between hayoung and the deceased girl's mom! it's so true, i doubt any parent wants to bring back the memories at the time they lost their children under this kind of circumstance, even the murderer was caught! but the mom and hayoung both found comfort and courage after facing each other with an honest conversation! hayoung started fresh and incorporated new mentalities to face his job! it was nice that captain yoon and detective nam has changed their interview skills and has built up some knowledge in dealing with psychotic murderers in the end. everyone learned and grew as years went by without getting stuck in their old mode of work styles!

it's always heartbreaking to watch the scenes about the deceased's family! but glad they had the delightful and heartwarming house party as the final scene! apart from the scenes between hayoung and his mom, phone calls between captain kook and his family (wonder why no more phone calls in part2), this is my favorite scene! should have a group pic! :hooray2:

will there be a season2? thnk KNG and JSK will play minor roles like professors and chief to help the young team in solving serial case if there is a possibility for s2!

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

I can't believe this is over.  Such a great show.  No glamorization, just a straight up, heartfelt, respectful portrayal of grueling police work and the emotional toll.  

KNG was superb.  He played that role with such delicacy, but it was great acting all the way around.  Every character felt so real.  The casting director did an amazing job assembling the cast.

My only complaint was that it was way, way too short.

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

29 minutes ago, Robbin Koenig said:

My only complaint was that it was way, way too short.

me too! i thought it was a 16-ep drama and so was thinking they should spend more eps on the raincoat killer's 2nd round of murders. with the focus on the 4 major serial killers, at least be a 14-ep drama! 

• Like 1

I had expectations about this drama and I wanted a show that concentrate on profilers and police job to catch those heinous criminals. It was exactly what I wanted to see. Thank you, Through the Darkness team, for a very good job!

I really wanted to see more because I got attached to the good guys` team but in the same time I think this drama had a perfect length as it was.

When the series has started, Crime Behavior Analysis Team was just created and after so many hard work they were recognized as an important part of Police departments. When I saw the first graduates of profilers I got emotional and felt so proud of our team. How lonely they felt when they start working as a team and look at them now. They are fully accepted now and even made friends with the other police officers who worked as hard to catch the criminals.

So far, my favorite drama of the year. I hope to see Kim Nam Gil/the drama on the Daesang list nominees. And I will look forward to watch writer Seol Yi-Na `s next work. For a rookie writer she did very well. I congratulate all the cast and crew.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

28 minutes ago, larus said:

So far, my favorite drama of the year. I hope to see Kim Nam Gil/the drama on the Daesang list nominees. And I will look forward to watch writer Seol Yi-Na `s next work. For a rookie writer she did very well. I congratulate all the cast and crew.

and also the new pd who got promoted to handle this project! hope this partnership of pd/writer will gain much success in their future projects like hayoung and kook! :wow1:

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, SJW said:

and also the new pd who got promoted to handle this project! hope this partnership of pd/writer will gain much success in their future projects like hayoung and kook! 

Yes, the PD is new to dramas also. She is a woman and we know there aren`t many female directors. She was an assistant director for Avengers Social Club and Fiery Priest. I watched both dramas. I am glad that both PD and writer had a succesful first drama project. 

I wish they will continue to colaborate. I will watch their next project.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

Finished both episodes last night.  I'm with you @larus my favorite drama thus far this year.  I'm going to miss it.  I loved all the characters, which is a rarity.  Originally, I thought I didn't care for the journalist, thinking she'd be someone's love interest, but the drama didn't go there and I was pleased to see that.  The only think that I would have changed in the last episode was to see another perpetrator killing someone (make it interesting and have a female as the killer).  I would have liked that ending.

I enjoyed chatting with everyone here.  Hope to see you in another thread!

• Like 2

Watch: Kim Nam Gil And Jin Sun Kyu Are A Hilarious Comedic Duo Behind The Scenes Of “Through The Darkness”

Watch: Kim Nam Gil And Jin Sun Kyu Are A Hilarious Comedic Duo Behind The Scenes Of “Through The Darkness”

Mar 14, 2022
by J. Ahn

SBS released new behind-the-scenes footage from the filming of “Through the Darkness”!

Set in the late 1990s, “Through the Darkness” is a drama based on the story of South Korea’s first criminal profiler. Kim Nam Gil stars as Song Ha Young, a member of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency’s Criminal Behavior Analysis team, while Jin Sun Kyu plays his friend and colleague Guk Young Soo who originally brought him onto the team.

The video starts with Kim Nam Gil pretending to be a cameraman as he comments, “Nice.” Later, Kim Nam Gil bursts into laughter while filming a scene because the door will not close properly. He gets into character right away as he films a serious scene while former criminal profiler Kwon Il Yong, whom the story is based on, watches him from behind the cameras.

Before Jin Sun Kyu and Kim Nam Gil film their next scene, they have fun showing off their nunchaku skills. The two stay in character while continuing to display comedic chemistry.

Jin Sun Kyu tells Kim Nam Gil, “Let’s all leave early today.” Kim Nam Gil does a little dance, and Jin Sun Kyu adds, “Come back after recharging yourself. Are you joking right right now?” As Kim Nam Gil walks towards the door, Jin Sun Kyu says, “Ha Young.” In an annoyed tone, Kim Nam Gil answers, “What?” Jin Sun Kyu responds, “Call me.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1517158wpp/watch-kim-nam-gil-and-jin-sun-kyu-are-a-hilarious-comedic-duo-behind-the-scenes-of-through-the-darkness

[Last episode unbroadcasted 2nd] Warm smiles from the members of the criminal behavior analysis team who are feeling the happiness of everyday life ㅣ Those who read the minds of evil

Last episode unbroadcast 1] Even after the case was resolved, 'Walkerhill? No, workaholics!'ㅣThose who read the mind of evil

• Like 2

3 Memorable Lines That Kim Nam Gil Delivered In “Through The Darkness”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Mar 14, 2022
by J. Ahn

SBS’s “Through the Darkness” came to an end on March 11, earning an average nationwide rating of 7.0 percent.

Set in the late 1990s, “Through the Darkness” is a drama based on the story of South Korea’s first criminal profiler. Kim Nam Gil stars as Song Ha Young, a member of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency’s Criminal Behavior Analysis team, while Jin Sun Kyu plays his friend and colleague Guk Young Soo who originally brought him onto the team. Kim So Jin stars as Yoon Tae Goo, the team leader of the Mobile Investigation Unit at the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency.

Here are three lines delivered by Kim Nam Gil that will remain unforgettable for viewers:

1. The line that changed the drama: “You’re just a worthless murderer.”

Kim Nam Gil captivated the viewers with his charisma while bringing out the details of his character as the plot reached its climax.

In episode 8, Song Ha Young interrogated Gu Young Chun (Han Jun Woo), who murdered wealthy senior citizens. Song Ha Young tried to suppress his anger after Gu Young Chun claimed that his crimes are justifiable. As Gu Young Chun continued to maintain his arrogant attitude, Song Ha Young said, “You’re just a worthless murderer,” to place psychological pressure on him. Kim Nam Gil’s cold look, words, and facial expressions raised the tension of the scene.

2. His determination to catch the culprit: “I was only trying to put myself in the culprit’s shoes.”

Song Ha Young put himself in the culprit’s shoes to catch Nam Ki Tae (Kim Joong Hee) in episode 9. He paid close attention to cases that involved the evolution of criminals’ methods while studying the crime. Song Ha Young visited the crime scene while placing different weapons in his hands to act like the culprit. People started to worry about Song Ha Young as he went great lengths to put himself in the culprit’s shoes without taking care of himself.

When Guk Young Soo expressed his concern, Song Ha Young said, “I was only trying to put myself in the culprit’s shoes,” showing his determination to do so. Kim Nam Gil was able to bring out his character’s complex emotions both externally and internally.

3. His unbearable outburst of anger: “I think you’re worse than a wild animal, what do you think?”

In episode 10, Song Ha Young was unable to control his anger when Nam Ki Tae boasted about his crimes like Gu Young Chun.

Song Ha Young questioned Nam Ki Tae, saying, “I think you’re worse than a wild animal. What do you think?” Song Ha Young looked miserable as Nam Ki Tae continued to smile and reminisced about his crimes. Kim Nam Gil delivered his character’s emotions with his eyes as he let out a sigh.

Near the end of the episode, Song Ha Young’s car overturned when he started hallucinating and got a panic attack as he thought of the times he came face-to-face with the serial killers. The ending previewed a new crime approaching while Song Ha Young struggled to breathe properly.

Kim Nam Gil was able to enhance his character’s narrative with his facial expressions and movements.

kim-nam-gil3.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1517150wpp/3-memorable-lines-that-kim-nam-gil-delivered-in-through-the-darkness

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Through the Darkness: Episodes 11-12 Open Thread (Final)

ttd1112_0.jpg

by solstices

After wading far too deep into the darkness, our protagonist grapples with retaining his humanity in spite of the desolation creeping up on him. An unexpected encounter reminds him of his roots, which may be just what he needs to pull himself back from the brink.

EPISODES 11-12 WEECAP

Phew, Ha-young regains consciousness, though he’s still in poor shape. After struggling through his rehabilitation exercises, Ha-young returns to his ward to find Tae-gu and Il-young waiting there. Aw, Tae-gu tells him to get better soon so they can work together again. Ha-young’s exhausted, though, and he informs them that he has no plans of going back.

In a flashback, we see that he turned in his resignation letter to Young-soo. Having spent more time with his mother since being hospitalized, Ha-young had realized how long it’d been since he’d last been able to spend his days normally. He confesses to Young-soo that constantly putting himself in the criminals’ shoes had made him anxious that there might be that sinister side in him, too.

It’s just as Young-soo says: the criminals take advantage of the interviews to pour out their unfiltered, filthiest intentions, and Ha-young ends up absorbing and internalizing it all. Likening it to a garbage disposal that filled up until it became too much, Young-soo knows that Ha-young needs time to empty it all out of his system.

In the hallway, Ha-young crosses paths with Hwa-yeon’s mother, now a volunteer at the hospital. Later on, she visits his ward with a homemade lunchbox, and with it is the handkerchief he’d given her all those years ago, carefully washed and kept in pristine condition.

I really like how the handkerchief is used as a recurring motif for empathy. In contrast to the one he’d lent to a murderer as a ploy, which he later had to discard in disgust, this handkerchief offered out of genuine compassion was treasured for years.

That night, Ha-young reads through all the concerned and supportive messages his colleagues sent him. He looks through his case notes too, and comes across a page where he’d written a reminder to only think about the victims and their bereaved families. It’s heartbreaking that Ha-young started out so confident in his profiling despite almost everyone else reacting with distrust, but now the tables are turned — his colleagues all have faith in him, but Ha-young can’t find the strength to believe in himself.

Ha-young and Hwa-yeon’s mothers cross paths again some time later, and Hwa-yeon’s mother says that she didn’t think he’d remember her. Ha-young says that he does, but that he hadn’t had the courage to face the victims or their families again. She admits that she feels the same; when she first saw Ha-young again, all the terrible memories had come rushing back.

It was only after taking out the handkerchief again that she realized she’d been able to hold on for this long thanks to the people who had done their best for her and Hwa-yeon — such as Ha-young. She entreats him to continue helping more victims, so that no one else has to lose their loved ones.

Later, alone in his ward, Ha-young cries as he eats the sweet potatoes she’d bought for him. I love how poetic this encounter is, and how Ha-young’s kindness came full circle, returning to him when he needed it most. It really shows that all the good he’d tried so hard to put out into the world wasn’t for naught, and that he’d truly made a lasting impact on others for the better.

After six months, Ha-young is finally discharged, and Woo-joo and Yoon-ji go to visit him. Afterwards, they run into an awkward Young-soo in the elevator, and Young-soo cooks up a half-baked excuse to leave right upon arriving. Omg, Ha-young responds that he’ll see him in the office! He’s not quitting! The tiniest hint of a smile appears on Ha-young’s face after the elevator doors close, and on the other side, Young-soo and Woo-joo have the widest grins on. Aww.

Meanwhile, Ha-young’s old colleague Dae-woong is back; he’s investigating the disappearance of karaoke hostesses. In a display of character development, Dae-woong requests for Ha-young to be brought onto the case, since he has a knack for identifying links between disparate cases.

The killer claims victim after victim, and the way he manipulates and guilt-trips the women into getting into his car makes my skin crawl. He puts on a genial and amiable demeanor, acting hurt that they’re suspicious of his generous benevolence, so that they feel pressured into accepting his offer of a ride. As if that wasn’t enough, he later discovers a lipstick that fell out of a victim’s bag, and he uncaps it to sniff it in perverse satisfaction. Ugh.

more

https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/03/through-the-darkness-episodes-11-12-open-thread-final/

• Like 2

'Through the Darkness' wraps up with fanfare praise and record viewer ratings

Sunday, March 13, 2022
AVvXsEh7fzC-rDIPnM7O6r_kYdqa6yAiE0P4ovAUpkrNZdzND5hGLWK_lEr1sCgK5pE0IhPiolXlRQj9hlE_lDGE3ECNGDnXB77YD_N8PzjV-x636KdchZ3fQ0y1Ph00x1-0Q0jKP27ClTXwLi04jVHolsrG7VRHiSFG3HApheyXKcbEzlY-I1mpAvK2U9iH=s16000

Article: 'Through the Darkness' finale earns great praise, records #1 in viewer ratings

Source: Insight via Instagram

1. [+182] Please produce a second season

2. [+132] I was so surprised at how they managed to cast the criminals to look exactly like the real life criminals

Just sad that the drama feels like it ended so suddenly ㅠ

3. [+4] This was so well made

4. [+26] Too much PPL near the end though ㅠㅠ

5. [+17] Please season two

6. [+9] ㅜㅜ Will be waiting for a season two

7. [+3] I truly hope there's a second season, I really enjoyed it!!!!!! Twelve episodes felt too short... it should've been at least 16-20 episodes long! Felt like the drama ended so soon after part two began ㅠㅠ

8. [+5] Looking forward to season two~~~~

9. [+6] Please give us season two, seriously please ㅠ

10. [+2] I couldn't take my eyes off of this drama because of how well Kim Nam Gil and everyone portrayed all of the serial killers' evil natures. So unfortunate that this was only 10 episodes long. Kim Nam Gil's acting as a profiler was unmatched.

-

http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.com/2022/03/through-darkness-wraps-up-with-fanfare.html

SBS Criminal Profiler Drama Through the Darkness with Kim Nam Gil Ends Averaging 7.2% Ratings with Rave Reviews from Critics and Audiences

http://koalasplayground.com/2022/03/13/sbs-criminal-profiler-drama-through-the-darkness-with-kim-nam-gil-ends-averaging-7-2-ratings-with-rave-reviews-from-critics-and-audiences/

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

NEW EVENT- Discover BTS and come fall in love with them!:fullofhearts:

Whether you are a seasoned ARMY member or just a novice who is eager to know more about the phenomenon called BTS that has taken the world with a storm. Discover BTS with our new event and participate in the fun poll. There is something for everyone. :piggydance:

Re: @partyon @Sleepy Owl @agenth and @confusedheart

• 1 month later...

Kim Nam Gil on the red carpet at Baeksang awards 2022.He was nominated for Best Actor category.

Kim Nam-gil, 'This is leisure' (Baeksang Arts Awards)

01.29878817.1.jpg

Actor Kim Nam-gil is posing at the '58th Baeksang Arts Awards' red carpet event held at KINTEX in Daehwa-dong, Goyang-si, Gyeonggi-do on the afternoon of the 6th. The Baeksang Arts Awards, the only comprehensive arts awards ceremony in Korea that encompasses TV, film and theater, will be held from 7:45 pm on May 6 at Kintex 1 Exhibition Hall 4 in Ilsan, Goyang, and can be seen live on JTBC, JTBC2, and JTBC4.

https://www.hankyung.com/entertainment/article/202205068281H

Spoiler

Every nominated actor for each category deserves to be there. Unfortunetly, there is one winner.

I believe Kim Nam Gil will win Daesang at SBS Drama Awards this year but let see what other drama or performer will do better in the second half of the year.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 months later...

Five drama recommendations… for well-made serial killer thrillers

by DB Staff

It’s no lie that dramaland loves to inject some life-threatening stakes by way of serial killers. Genre is no great matter, for a serial killer can now be inserted into any story. All jokes aside, dramaland does produce some really top-notch thrillers that are brimming with great writing, great acting, and great evil to overcome. Here are some of our favorite (well-made) dramas with that thriller-killer element.

Through the Darkness (2022)

I’ve already written odes upon odes to this drama in my weecaps, but no amount of praise could ever encompass the sheer amount of awe and respect I have for this show. It’s not often that a crime thriller chooses to forgo shock value for nuanced and respectful storytelling, which makes Through the Darkness stand out even more for its sensitive portrayals. This drama was utterly compelling because of how understated and contemplative it was; it took the time to linger on its multifaceted characters and their motivations. It never sensationalized the brutality of murder, instead choosing to pay tribute to the people that the media coverage often neglects — the victims and their bereaved families. A lot of care was clearly put into crafting this drama, from its gripping interrogation sequences to the palpable grief in the wake of crime, and the cast’s masterful acting and riveting chemistry only served to elevate the story even further.

Kim Nam-gil is absolutely phenomenal as the criminal profiler Ha-young, portraying his tenacity with a quiet fortitude that belies his deep empathy. His subtle microexpressions brought us through every shift in his emotional state, highlighting the toll that such a demanding profession takes on one’s psyche. Ha-young isn’t perfect by any means — he falters, he wavers, and he almost loses faith. But that’s what makes him so heartbreakingly human, and what makes us root for him all the more.

It may seem odd to call a serial killer thriller hopeful and comforting, but this show reminds us through its deftly-woven social commentary that no matter how bleak the world may seem, we can take that first step and make a difference, however small. Even when faced with the darkest depravity of crime, we can still walk onward with integrity and compassion. Thought-provoking, insightful, and profound, Through the Darkness is a drama that deeply touched my heart and will linger in my memory for years to come. –@solstices

https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/08/five-drama-recommendations-for-well-made-serial-killer-thrillers/

• 1 month later...

2022 APAN Star Awards Announces Nominees

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Aug 31, 2022
by L. Kim

The nominees for the 2022 APAN Star Awards have been revealed!

The event will be held at the Korea International Exhibition Center (KINTEX) in Ilsan, Gyeonggi Province on September 29. It has been confirmed that Yuri and Jung Il Woo will be the MCs of this year’s APAN Star Awards.

Check out this year’s nominees below!

Best New Actress:

Noh Yoon Seo (“tvN’s “Our Blues”)

Park Ji Hu (Netflix’s “All of Us Are Dead”)

Jung Ho Yeon (Netflix’s “Squid Game”)

Cho Yi Hyun (KBS2’s “School 2021,” Netflix’s “All Of Us Are Dead”)

Choi Sung Eun (JTBC’s “Beyond Evil”)

Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries:

SF9’s Rowoon (KBS2’s “The King’s Affection)

Son Suk Ku (JTBC’s “My Liberation Notes”)

Ahn Hyo Seop (SBS’s “Lovers of the Red Sky,” SBS’s “A Business Proposal”)

Jin Sun Kyu (SBS’s “Through the Darkness”)

Choi Woo Shik (SBS’s “Our Beloved Summer”)

Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries:

Kim Nam Gil (SBS’s “Through the Darkness”)

Namgoong Min (MBC’s “The Veil”)

Song Joong Ki (tvN’s “Vincenzo”)

2PM’s Lee Junho (MBC’s “The Red Sleeve”)

Lee Je Hoon (SBS’s “Taxi Driver”)

https://www.soompi.com/article/1543034wpp/2022-apan-star-awards-announces-nominees

• Like 1