[Drama 2022] Through The Darkness /Those Who Read Hearts of Evil, 악의 마음을 읽는 자들

larus

“Our Beloved Summer” Tops Most Buzzworthy Drama Rankings For 3rd Week + “Bulgasal” Cast Dominates Actor Rankings

Feb 4, 2022
by E. D

SBS’s “Through the Darkness” remained steady at No. 4, and actor Kim Nam Gil landed at No. 6 on the actor rankings.

The top 10 dramas that generated the most buzz in the fourth week of January are as follows:

1. SBS “Our Beloved Summer”
2. tvN “Bulgasal”
3. KBS2 “Young Lady and Gentleman”
4. SBS “Through the Darkness”
5. MBC “Tracer”
6. JTBC “Snowdrop”
7. tvN “Ghost Doctor
8. KBS2 “Moonshine
9. TV Chosun “Uncle
10. tvN “Bad and Crazy”

And the top 10 most buzzworthy drama cast members are as follows:

1. Kim Da Mi (“Our Beloved Summer”)
2. Choi Woo Shik (“Our Beloved Summer”)
3. Lee Jin Wook (“Bulgasal”)
4. Lee Joon (“Bulgasal”)
5. Lee Se Hee (“Young Lady and Gentleman”)
6. Kim Nam Gil (“Through the Darkness”)
7. Ji Hyun Woo (“Young Lady and Gentleman”)
8. Kwon Nara (“Bulgasal”)
9. Gong Seung Yeon (“Bulgasal”)
10. Kim Woo Seok (“Bulgasal”)

https://www.soompi.com/article/1511401wpp/our-beloved-summer-tops-most-buzzworthy-drama-rankings-for-3rd-week-bulgasal-cast-dominates-actor-rankings

• Like 1

pd Park is a female director?! just found out that she was the assistant director for fiery priest so she worked with KNG before. feel that the filming style is very similar to pd Jund from red sleeve! they both have this intricate, refined filming style which i really like. am very delighted that these female directors get recognized for their hard work and talents! they certainly bring in their fresh perspective in filming their projects and viewers get to enjoy these wonderful dramas! :fun:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SJW said:

pd Park is a female director?! just found out that she was the assistant director for fiery priest so she worked with KNG before. f

I did not know anything about the director. From the name it sounds like a female name but we never know with Korean names. :D The writer is a female also and she is a rookie screenwriter. Nice female duo for this series. It is a good project. I really enjoy it.

• Like 2

@larusi noticed a woman's voice calling shots in the bts vid you posted, so i thought the director was a woman. i could never tell from their names if the person is a man or a lady :). the info i got about this director doesnt indicate the gender identity. red sleeve is also a female duo project! IMPRESSIVE!!!

• Like 2

On 2/3/2022 at 2:40 PM, larus said:

I realy like Kook Young Soo. Ha Young and Woo-Joo are lucky to have a boos like him. And Kook is lucky with the other team members. He has a good eye for tallent. He knew about Ha Young before and he wanted him to be in this team.

About the characters in the drama and who is who in the book. I don`t know that Ha Young is totally the author of the book. I read about profiler Kwon Il-Yong (who wrote the book that inspired this drama).  Kwon Il Jong has a family, likes to talk about the job problems over drinks (he said that it is necesarry to mentain the mental sanity). Probably some of the officers have his qualities. Ha Young is based on him. When asked if there is a resemblance with Kim Nam Gil`s character he said that "It resembles my youth". I think he had a similar personality.  Article here

I remember something. There was a scene when Ha Young and Young Soo were in an elevator and people noticed how bad they smell because they came from the morgue :D Kwon Il Jong talked about how his wife noticed what he is doing at work (he did not tell her what is her job as a profiler) when she took his shirts to be washed. I found that scene very realistic.

I said it again. I really like this drama because it is not the story of the criminals but about the work of profilers, about people who catch the criminals. It is about their story. 

Throughout this case I kept of thinking of the Raincoat Killer and the profiler's inteview. Especially when the CCTV only caught his back and he changed his MO. If not for the documentary, I would have thought that more of the drama were fiction.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2022 at 8:24 PM, Blizzardistkaputt said:

i cant imagine Chief Guk's reaction if he knew the murderer was using his police ID to gain entry into the victim's house. 

I'm glad you brought this up.  I totally forgot about it.  

I'm going to miss watching it this weekend :bawling:

Who else misses Ha Young in the t-shirt and jeans?  I think he looked rather sexy in plain clothes. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 8:24 PM, Blizzardistkaputt said:

i cant imagine Chief Guk's reaction if he knew the murderer was using his police ID to gain entry into the victim's house. 

@CarolynHme three! forgot about it and meant to ask if this is mentioned in the netflix documentary, like if this actually happened! 

if deputy commissioner Yun did make that mistake, would the police force admit it? i kinda believe this is factual as the writers are so attentive to the details in this drama! Yun would never know how many murder this guy did with his police id. but, the murderer has become more aggressive later without using his id in the drama, so his lost id was not an issue anymore! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SJW said:

me three! forgot about it and meant to ask if this is mentioned in the netflix documentary, like if this actually happened! 

I did not watch the documentary but from what I read about the case it is true that the killer used a police ID or he just pretend to be a police officer when he aproached one of the female victims. In the drama Kook lost his ID but I in reality it could be another random ID.

The killer pretend to be epileptic after he was arrested and he escaped the arrest but he was arrested twelve hours later. We`ll see this moment in the drama for sure.

3 hours ago, SexyDolceVita said:

Is this drama not airing this week?

Unfortunetly no. We have three weeks hiatus due to Winter Olympics.

• Like 1
  • Unamused 1

Watch: “Through The Darkness” Promises More Intense And Thrilling Pursuits In The Second Half Of The Drama

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Feb 11, 2022
by L. Kim

SBS has dropped an exciting teaser for part two of “Through the Darkness”!

“Through the Darkness” is a drama based on the story of South Korea’s first criminal profiler. Kim Nam Gil stars as Song Ha Young, a member of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency’s Criminal Behavior Analysis team, while Jin Sun Kyu plays his friend and colleague Guk Young Soo, who originally brought him onto the team.

Spoilers

“Through the Darkness” hasn’t been airing lately due to the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics, but it will come back with full force on February 25.

The new teaser video amped up the excitement for the drama’s return with a glimpse of what will happen in the second half of the plot. The clip begins with the serial killer Gu Young Chun (Han Jun Woo) smirking with satisfaction as he holds up Guk Young Soo’s lost police badge that has his own face on it. Song Ha Young narrates, “The devil disappeared again.”

The Criminal Behavior Analysis team have an urgent discussion about a new murder case, and Song Ha Young states that this means they currently have two serial killers in the country. Gu Young Chun brazenly states, “That’s the line between life and death that I decide and dominate,” hinting his stance on all his killings.

Song Ha Young and Guk Young Soo are spotted with dozens of other policemen as they dig the ground in the pouring rain. Unable to find any clues, Guk Young Soo throws his shovel aside in frustration. Song Ha Young’s voiceover says, “It was my misjudgment to assume that the devil would have feelings. He only has solace and rationalization for himself.”

The words “Profiling isn’t over yet” appears on the screen, and the clip ends with Song Ha Young saying, “It’s the one we were looking for.”

“Through the Darkness” will return on February 25 at 10 p.m. KST. Check out the teaser below!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1512525wpp/watch-through-the-darkness-promises-more-intense-and-thrilling-pursuits-in-the-second-half-of-the-drama

• Like 3

Kim Nam Gil, Jin Sun Kyu, Kim So Jin, And Ryeo Woon Create Friendly Vibes Behind The Scenes Of “Through The Darkness”

Kim Nam Gil, Jin Sun Kyu, Kim So Jin, And Ryeo Woon Create Friendly Vibes Behind The Scenes Of “Through The Darkness”

Feb 15, 2022
by E. D

New behind-the-scenes stills of “Through the Darkness” have been released!

Set in the late 1990s, “Through the Darkness” is a drama based on the story of South Korea’s first criminal profiler. Kim Nam Gil stars as Song Ha Young, a member of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency’s Criminal Behavior Analysis team, while Jin Sun Kyu plays his friend and colleague Guk Young Soo, who originally brought him onto the team. Kim So Jin stars as Yoon Tae Goo, the team leader of the Mobile Investigation Unit at the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency.

Part 1 of the drama concluded on January 29, and Part 2 will begin airing on February 25. Before the release of the second half of the drama, “Through the Darkness” released new behind-the-scenes stills of the set.

In the newly released stills, actors Kim Nam Gil, Jin Sun Kyu, Kim So Jin, and Ryeo Woon are preparing to film while smiling and creating a friendly atmosphere. Kim Nam Gil is holding a camera and smiling widely, while Jin Sun Kyu spots the camera and flashes a warm smile in return. Kim So Jin holds a script in hand and talks brightly to the production team, and Ryeo Woon sits in a playful pose while waiting for filming to begin.

through-the-darkness-1.jpeg

Spoiler

through-the-darkness-2.jpeg

In another still, Kim Won Hae and Kim So Jin look deep in conversation as they discuss the upcoming scenes, while in another photo, Kim Nam Gil, Jin Sun Kyu, and Ryeo Woon make eye contact with each other and burst into laughter. Finally, Kim Nam Gil, Kim So Jin, and Jin Sun Kyu all study their lines thoroughly, immersing in the storyline and their characters.

Spoiler

Through-the-Darkness-2.jpg

Through-the-Darkness1.jpg

Ahead of the broadcast, the production team said, “Since this is a psychological criminal investigation drama, there are many scenes that require concentration and energy. Actors such as Kim Nam Gil, Jin Sun Kyu, and Kim So Jin always took the initiative and created an amicable filming environment. Because of this, the actors and production team were able to be in high spirits and more fully immersed. Please pay attention and look forward to Part 2, in which their strong teamwork will shine even more.”

Part 2 of “Through the Darkness” will begin airing on February 25 at 10 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1513011wpp/kim-nam-gil-jin-sun-kyu-kim-so-jin-and-ryeo-woon-create-friendly-vibes-behind-the-scenes-of-through-the-darkness

• Like 3

they Have to create an amicable and a lighthearted filming environment! cant imagine, even as actors and actresses, how they read the scripts and act out those real-life violent serial murder cases!!! it can be very emotionally disturbing to them!

• Like 1

EVENT: Choose which k-drama characters would win in a street fight and win prizes!

Mortal_Combat.jpg

What would happen if you pitted Joo Won from Secret Garden against Ahn Yo Na from Kill Me, Heal Me? Who of them would win a street fight using power, strategical skills and/or verbal skills?

Now is your chance to win prizes by voting in our polls where k-drama characters battle each other out for glory and fame.

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @confusedheart @Sleepy Owl @agenth

6 Memorable Moments From The First Half Of “Through The Darkness”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Feb 21, 2022
by E. D

The halfway point of “Through the Darkness” is already here, and lots of heart-pounding and exciting moments have happened throughout the series.

Set in the late 1990s, “Through the Darkness” is a drama based on the story of South Korea’s first criminal profiler. Kim Nam Gil stars as Song Ha Young, a member of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency’s Criminal Behavior Analysis team, while Jin Sun Kyu plays his friend and colleague Guk Young Soo who originally brought him onto the team. Kim So Jin stars as Yoon Tae Goo, the team leader of the Mobile Investigation Unit at the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency.

As the show heads into the second half, here are some of the most memorable moments so far:

Spoilers

1. Episode 1–Guk Young Soo recognizes Song Ha Young’s potential, the beginning of profiling in Korea

Police officer Song Ha Young, who understands people’s minds, carried out an investigation while simultaneously considering both the possibilities that the suspect who claimed innocence could be the criminal or not. Guk Young Soo, who felt the need to analyze criminal behavior before anyone else, recognized Song Ha Young’s potential as a profiler. When Song Ha Young was recruited as a criminal behavior analyst by Guk Young Soo, the show’s momentum began.

Jin-Sun-Kyu.jpeg

2. Episode 2–Song Ha Young clears Bang Ki Hoon’s name and comforts him

Song Ha Young cleared his fellow high school alumnus Bang Ki Hoon (Oh Kyung Joo) of murder after he was falsely charged. The same pattern of murder occurred while Bang Ki Hoon, who had falsely confessed through coercion, was imprisoned. Song Ha Young arrested the true criminal with clues obtained from talking with another criminal. Later, Song Ha Young found Bang Ki Hoon’s pojangmacha (outdoor drinking establishment) after he had been released from jail. Song Ha Young comforted Bang Ki Hoon and drew sympathy from viewers.

3. Episode 3–Criminal Behavior Analysis team vs. Mobile Investigation Unit

In episode 3, a new case occurred involving the murder of a five-year-old in the Changui neighborhood. The Criminal Behavior Analysis team used profiling techniques in order to identify suspects. Although the other police officers did not welcome the participation of the Criminal Behavior Analysis team in the investigation, they all had the same desire to arrest the culprit. Due to this, the Criminal Behavior Analysis team, who had been conducting the investigation unofficially, had a heated discussion with the Mobile Investigation Unit.

Kim-So-Jin-4.jpeg

4. Episode 4–Song Ha Young walks into a heart of evil

Song Ha Young and Guk Young Soo interviewed the real culprit Jo Hyun Gil (Woo Jung Gook) of the Changui neighborhood case in order to understand the psychology of criminals and to gather data. By doing this, Song Ha Young decided to walk into a heart of evil, causing him unbearable pain as he confronted the despicable Jo Hyun Gil. This confrontation captured viewers’ attention.

Spoiler

Kim-Nam-Gil.jpeg

5. Episode 5–Song Ha Young, Guk Young Soo, and Yoon Tae Goo’s intuition about the serial murders

Three murders occurred in separate places, making the total number of victims already 10 people. There were some things all of the murders had in common: they all occurred in luxurious houses, the culprit did not take any money or valuables, the incidents were disguised as robberies, and they all involved the same blunt weapon. From this, Yoon Tae Goo predicted that the same culprit was responsible after finding footprints of hiking boots at the scene of the crime.

6. Episode 6–A cold gaze towards the Criminal Behavior Analysis team, two culprits appear

In order to prevent the next murder, Song Ha Young proposed to go public with the investigation. As a result, traces of serial killer Gu Young Chun (Han Jun Woo) disappeared like smoke. However, the police’s internal scrutiny towards the Criminal Behavior Analysis team became colder. Finally, the Criminal Behavior Analysis team was ordered to halt the field investigation. Heo Gil Pyo (Kim Won Hae), Song Ha Young, and Guk Young Soo’s fiery argument about the investigation drew attention as viewers questioned what will happen next.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1513938wpp/6-memorable-moments-from-the-first-half-of-through-the-darkness

• Like 1

Kim Nam Gil Seeks Answers As He Suffers In Silence In “Through The Darkness”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Feb 23, 2022
by L. Kim

Through the Darkness” will be returning this week after a long break!

Set in the late 1990s, “Through the Darkness” is a drama based on the story of South Korea’s first criminal profiler. Kim Nam Gil stars as Song Ha Young, a member of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency’s Criminal Behavior Analysis team, while Jin Sun Kyu plays his friend and colleague Guk Young Soo who originally brought him onto the team. Kim So Jin stars as Yoon Tae Goo, the team leader of the Mobile Investigation Unit at the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency.

Spoilers

Previously, Song Ha Young and Guk Young Soo encountered a roadblock with two serial murderers on the loose. The second part of “Through the Darkness” will include more thrill and action than before as the Criminal Behavior Analysis team undergoes trials and tribulations to find the truth.

The new stills capture Song Ha Young’s silent agony as he seeks answers. He visits an empty cathedral and takes a seat on one of the benches. His eyes are full of desperation as he gazes at the cross, and it seems like he’s in deep prayer. These photos show the difficult journey of those who pioneer a new path. Like Song Ha Young, they suffer in various ways as well as make sacrifices in order to make a point and be acknowledged.

kim-nam-gil.jpg

Song Ha Young is a person who walks into the darkness to chase evil. One can’t even imagine the pain he experiences as he faces those heinous demons who blame the murder on the victims. Kim Nam Gil perfectly portrays Song Ha Young’s emotions, and his performance will become even stronger and deeper as the second part of the story intricately unfolds.

The drama’s producers commented, “In the second part, two serial killers will appear. As a result, Korea’s first profiler Song Ha Young and the serial killers, or demons, will have an even fiercer psychological battle. Please show a lot of anticipation and support for Song Ha Young, who closely looks into the hearts of evil, and Kim Nam Gil, who will capture Song Ha Young’s deep human agony with overwhelming acting.”

The next episode of “Through the Darkness” will air on February 25 at 10 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1514326wpp/kim-nam-gil-seeks-answers-as-he-suffers-in-silence-in-through-the-darkness

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1