[Drama 2022] Alchemy Of Souls: Light and Shadow ✴ 반환

Maetawinz

2 minutes ago, Nomorelisa said:

Lady Heo is necessary to get the plot moving otherwise the drama will plod along like the turtle.

True - however I think it would've been alot better, and more fitting for her healing role if she approached the situation more selflessly.  Once she determined Bu Yeon was indeed Naksu, she becomes the bridge to bring the 2 back together. Give us another scene where Bu Yeon/Naksu see's them together after she sent Jang Uk away, and lets get a little taste of Bu Yeon jealousy just like we had with Mu Deok in Part 1.  Armed with Lady Heo's information, and a clearly jealous display by Bu Yeon, Jang Uk would recognize her in an instant.

Plus, at the end, Naksu would realize Lady Heo was actually helping, and they'd become true friends.  Wouldn't be as dramatic as the Naksu reveal we got, but I still would've enjoyed it.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 4

1 hour ago, Nomorelisa said:

From your reply, I get the impression we both are watching different dramas. 

Nah, we just have different opinions and views on what we're watching, that's all. :kiss_wink:

I know of no other dramas in 2022 with a scene like this other than A Business Proposal. 

I can list dramas that had more passionate kissing scenes in 2022, if you want. Hehe @Ameera Ali twin probably has gifs of them too. :joy:

Despite what you said, I see great chemistry between the leads, in both seasons and for season 2, it is a treat to watch young and fairly new actors giving their all with their fine acting skills. 

From my perspective I think the chemistry has been severely lacking. Fair enough, I haven't seen Go Youn Jung before so can't speak for her. But I've watched LJW and JSM in a lot of their other dramas, and this is the first time I didn't see chemistry with their co-stars.

I will not be surprise should they be given awards for their performances.  As for JSM, as always she did well, and I would not expect less than that from an actor with more than 12 years experience and an awardee.

I don't think that they have showed exceptional acting skills - partly because of the script and maybe the directing, I believe. As for JSM, I feel like even she didn't bring her best to the table in S1. She seemed so passive and looked so tired for the most part. I am truly baffled, because I do like her a lot as an actress.

The synopsis says it is a fantasy romance drama.  It is not "suddenly all about romance" as you state.

From my perspective, the drama slipped into focusing mostly on the romance sometime in mid season 1. Season 2 has been focusing mostly only on the romance. Sure, if one likes romance dramas, it's probably really great. I just can't get onboard with it, because of the lack of chemistry as well as that this drama could be so much more interesting if they could have utilized the fantasy world to some cool story telling and fight scenes.

I think it is a wasted opportunity.

Look, I don't love this drama, which I am sure everyone has noticed by now. :joy:

We can have a difference in opinions, and that's totally okay. That's why we have the forum, so we can discuss our opinions. It would be totally boring if everyone would have the same opinion.

:kiss_wink:

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Seo kyung’s sword in the AOS part 2 opening was there in cheonbugwan, prolly used in the final match (?). i thought park jin or park danggu will use this, but from the still cut and preview for ep 9, neither of them use the sword (park jin uses his own sword and danggu uses bow and arrows), while jang uk still use naksu’s sword. i hope hongsister  surprise us about naksu fighting with this very own sword.

9aa802932f321546463d4e319863cdd50fcb0c31.jpg

Spoiler

imageimageimage13664faa282d6a7757efb41412f70e176b690db9.jpg

===

#AlchemyOfSouls 2 will release a combined sound source of the OST at 12 PM Jan 9 & album release on Jan 17. OST for 환혼2 exquisitely depicts the narrative of the past & the present, including Blue Flower, Tree & I'm Sorry received a warm response by presenting a total of 3 songs

• Like 8
  • Blob 1

46 minutes ago, partyon said:

From my perspective I think the chemistry has been severely lacking. Fair enough,

If they don’t have chemistry , did she follow crown prince advice then :mrgreen:

6-C5-AFD26-C5-DC-45-CD-AC87-15-B5-B880-E

she be like good advice.. 

CB1-DBE44-E6-EC-4-B7-A-8-D60-3-B4-AE320-

oppa clingy can’t move on   :sweat_smile:

8-DA4-E1-ED-1-D13-4-E04-BF5-D-49-AE03-D3

• LOL 9

25 minutes ago, Learry said:

i hope hongsister  surprise us about naksu fighting with this very own sword.

Agreed - Please give us a Naksu ending that rivals the awesome Naksu opening ... just have her fight alongside and not with Park Jin this time.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 3
  • Insightful 1

34 minutes ago, partyon said:

From my perspective, the drama slipped into focusing mostly on the romance sometime in mid season 1. Season 2 has been focusing mostly only on the romance. Sure, if one likes romance dramas, it's probably really great. I just can't get onboard with it, because of the lack of chemistry as well as that this drama could be so much more interesting if they could have utilized the fantasy world to some cool story telling and fight scenes.

I think it is a wasted opportunity.

To clarify, why I came this late into the forum discussion is because I hate historical dramas and I normally avoid watching them.  I got hooked after the first episode as I find the plot interesting and drama quality and CGI really good.  As for more fight scenes, after a few of those, I am happy with that as one can easily get bored.  Besides it is all CGI mostly. We can argue until kingdom come about the fantasy world you envision, but for me it serves as a backdrop to the story and the trials and tribulations of the humans living in it. I do agree however, that more could be told to the audience about it.  My guess would be it might lead to more explanation as viewers will get more confused.  Best to leave it alone without further elaborations that begets further open questions that need to be covered.

If you have read Tolkien and the fantasy world he created in Lord of the Rings, you will get a gist of what I am trying to say.

• Like 4
  • Blob 3

1 hour ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

True - however I think it would've been alot better, and more fitting for her healing role if she approached the situation more selflessly.  Once she determined Bu Yeon was indeed Naksu, she becomes the bridge to bring the 2 back together. Give us another scene where Bu Yeon/Naksu see's them together after she sent Jang Uk away, and lets get a little taste of Bu Yeon jealousy just like we had with Mu Deok in Part 1.  Armed with Lady Heo's information, and a clearly jealous display by Bu Yeon, Jang Uk would recognize her in an instant.

Plus, at the end, Naksu would realize Lady Heo was actually helping, and they'd become true friends.  Wouldn't be as dramatic as the Naksu reveal we got, but I still would've enjoyed it.

Lady Heo is just a supporting character that fulfilled her role and necessary to the plot. Poor Naksu is a victim and JBY was instrumental in trapping Naksu's soul.  Mu-Deok as JBY subconciously allowed Naksu to switch her soul into her.  Naksu initially chose a different person as Mu-Deok was blind but ended up switching her soul into Mu-Deok's body.  There are certain nuances and clues in the story that were not explained.  JBY was a dead baby and an ice stone was used to perform an Alchemy of Souls to resurrect her.  We don't know whose soul was used in this process.  Probably Jin Seol-Ran's soul.  Is JBY having the soul of Seol-Ran good or evil? Big question mark.  Seol-Ran was the greatest mage that ever lived in Daeho.  Naksu is trapped inside JBY's body and what happens next we will know in the later episodes.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, partyon said:

From my perspective, the drama slipped into focusing mostly on the romance

Human relationship is the cast of every drama, and romance is often the leads. So of course romance needs to be focused on to capture the audience mind and hearts, even if sometimes romance turns out to be just a tease -- e.g. Vicenzo. 

That romance development is especially important to showcase the deep bond between MD & JW. That bond is tested when the female lead changes -- even if it's really the same person.  

2 hours ago, partyon said:

this drama could be so much more interesting if they could have utilized the fantasy world to some cool story telling and fight scenes.

This drama is meant to use one particular dark sorcery (soul-change) to illustrate an important point:  Actions have consequences. And these consequences can have wider and deeper impact than what we see (and do not see), now and in the future.

Soul-exchange is especially fascinating because it directly and indirectly affects perception and relationship. 

I have stated that your poll is kindly-worded, but it does not capture the essence that is related to this drama.  But that becomes understandable since you are not invested in the drama.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, misspiggie said:

Human relationship is the cast of every drama, and romance is often the leads. So of course romance needs to be focused on to capture the audience mind and hearts, even if sometimes romance turns out to be just a tease -- e.g. Vicenzo. 

Romance is not necessarily needed in every drama. I actually like a lot dramas with no romance because then it can also focus on other things. 

My point was that this drama is overdoing it on the romance front and a lot of other interesting things that could have happened have been put on the back burner. That is my opinion, and I can appreciate that there are people who don't view it the same way I feel.

Again, I might have been more invested in the romance if I felt that the chemistry had been better (my opinion), but c'est la vie. <shrugs>

26 minutes ago, misspiggie said:

I have stated that your poll is kindly-worded, but it does not capture the essence that is related to this drama.  But that becomes understandable since you are not invested in the drama.

I believe everyone sees and interprets this drama from their own viewpoint and based on their own experiences. Those viewpoints and experiences are not the same between any people. What you call the "essence that is related to this drama" is based on your personal beliefs and experiences and will only be a reflection of those. My "essence" is different than yours because I have different beliefs and experiences than you. @Ameera Ali's will be different from ours.

As for the poll:

Spoiler

As stated before, the poll includes questions that are based for the most part on objectiveness instead of subjective opinions. Feel free to PM me in case you would like an explanation why your wording wasn't used in the poll.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, partyon said:

I believe everyone sees and interprets this drama from their own viewpoint and based on their own experiences. Those viewpoints and experiences are not the same between any people. What you call the "essence that is related to this drama" is based on your personal beliefs and experiences and will only be a reflection of those. My "essence" is different than yours because I have different beliefs and experiences than you. @Ameera Ali's will be different from ours.

i could not agree more ...that's why i love reading everybody posts...sometimes for me  is the best part after watching a ep or waiting a new one ...

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 1

16 hours ago, andy78 said:

Why do we see the young version of Buyeon when she is clearly an adult ?Should not be MD-face?Seems strange...

Ikr...i'm hoping it plays into the possibility of buyeon becoming Jang Uk's and Naksu's child lol. This is a hill it seems like I will die on :D

The pregnancy trope and "being born again" is really dominant in this series.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Jcanqueen12 said:

i'm hoping it plays into the possibility of buyeon becoming Jang Uk's and Naksu's child lol. This is a hill it seems like I will die on :D

The pregnancy trope and "being born again" is really dominant in this series.

telling the truth i don't find any other way for all these 3 poor souls to have a happy end and a second chance...is that or NAKSU or BY go into a dead body like master Lee did...he seems ok and did not killed anybody and is not  beeing controlled by JM stupid bells...

• Like 2
  • Blob 3

3 hours ago, Nomorelisa said:

JBY was a dead baby and an ice stone was used to perform an Alchemy of Souls to resurrect her.  We don't know whose soul was used in this process.  Probably Jin Seol-Ran's soul.  Is JBY having the soul of Seol-Ran good or evil? Big question mark.  Seol-Ran was the greatest mage that ever lived in Daeho.  Naksu is trapped inside JBY's body and what happens next we will know in the later episodes.

Have said this before, but as the series goes on, they keep underlining Jin Seol Ran. There IS a connection between Buyeon, JSR, and Naksu. JSR is either their ancestor or she is the soul inside BY (along with Naksu, of course). 

(Er...and if it turns out they never make this connection, then I will just shake my head and chalk it up to Unanswered Questions for Hong Sisters :D )

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Insightful 2

3 minutes ago, andy78 said:

i forgot about her...i need to watch again season 1:D

She is the one who originally did the ritual to end the drought and call down power from heaven in the form of water (that eventually left the ice stone behind). They keep showing images of this rain dance in part 2, as they are planning to do it soon. I can only imagine Naksu will be doing this?? (If indeed they show it.) 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

28 minutes ago, frozentundra said:

I can only imagine Naksu will be doing this?? (If indeed they show it.) 

is her or BY...Maybe both...maybe both of them are needed in the fight against JM and his organisation...JM is not alone in this!!!

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

35 minutes ago, andy78 said:

telling the truth i don't find any other way for all these 3 poor souls to have a happy end and a second chance...is that or NAKSU or BY go into a dead body like master Lee did...he seems ok and did not killed anybody and is not  beeing controlled by JM stupid bells...

When Naksu's soul gets ejected, JBY retains her divine powers.  Naksu's powers has been depleted to revive the petrified body.  Master Lee has Chisu & the sorcery to migrate -- Naksu has neither. 

22 minutes ago, andy78 said:

is her or BY...Maybe both...maybe both of them are needed in the fight against JM and his organisation...JM is not alone in this!!!

A few problems: 

Judging by this still, she has probably fallen unconscious and in the process of transitioning.

To perform the ritual (if they intend to at all), JBY's power has to be totally restored -- which means...yes, ejection of Naksu's soul.

WXvqavd.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Insightful 2

One more thing Buyeon  was brought back with the icestone so maybe that factor will give the body a choice on which soul it chooses as the owner...Maybe the energy, the face,the memories make Naksu it's true owner...what a mess...trying to guess how the sisters will end our story...

4 minutes ago, misspiggie said:

Master Lee has Chisu & the sorcery to migrate -- Naksu has neither. 

Maybe she has it too but does not know

• Like 6
  • Blob 1