[Drama 2022] Alchemy Of Souls: Light and Shadow ✴ 반환

Maetawinz

To me:  JBY is a conflicting character. 

I initially believed she was without a bad bone in her body. Now I’m not so definite. I was blinded (no pun intended) by her “consideration” of Naksu’s pain, if memory returns first. Seems like Master Lee is none too pleased either, perhaps feels blindsided and manipulated by JBY also.

Korean 힘 (pronounced like “him”) & Chinese 力 can be used to denote several things:  power,  physical strength,  energy, skill.  Because of cultural and language differences, I can understand why the English sub might not adequately and accurately capture the content meant to be expressed.

Reason for including that is because I would write considering what is most appropriate (e.g. power-skill vs power-energy), but in Korean or Chinese, it’s all the same word ~ 힘 or 力.  Sometimes I get confused and use whatever that comes to mind  ... sorry :tongue:

Although blind, JBY can sense 힘 (力). JCY has told MD before that a woman with the highest divine power can control & trap a soul.

Which means to me:  JBY has kidnapped Naksu’s soul !!!

I never made the connection until now, but the show seems to infer that power-skill can also be transferred together with the soul to a new body. HOWEVER … as explained by JM — he has witnessed JG not being able to access that power when he soul-switched into the late King’s frail body, hence in jeopardy of not being able to switch back, thus has no choice but to teach JM how to perform soul-switching sorcery.

Naksu’s has attained the highest skill possible for any mage:  Chisu (in English sub) — the power-skill to freely manipulate liquid/water-energy. Plus, she likely has strength through practicing martial arts. Unfortunately, with soul-switching, JG & the late King situation applies to Naksu & MD/JBY as well.

A slight but relevant deviation here………….

Perhaps initially to the young JBY, it was a pretty stone. Once she raised it over her hands, she can sense the immense divine power (ice stone’s power is neutral, just a matter of how you want to use it). If, like some of you suggested, she was trying to send it back to the sky/heaven where it belongs, she was definitely using her power to do so. Until she was rudely interrupted and pushed into the water.

At this point, I’m reminded of those (Ep-18) who were trapped within the ice-stone and some attempting to wield their power-skill would end up losing it ~ “Pull and get pushed” … drawing power from (within) the ice stone would end up with an avalanche of power that boomerang back

My guess is perhaps young JBY’s power was significantly damaged but not totally destroyed. This led to her amnesia when discovered in Sari Village, because “Power returns (loss) = Memory returns (loss)”. 

Back to the main train of thought………….

It wasn’t Naksu’s soul, it was her 힘 (力) after all:

• JBY remains frail since she’s living in poverty, but then Sari Village is a safe haven
  • once thrusts into the world, JBY needs a “body guard” to protect her vulnerability:  blindness and frail physique ~ although JBY at this point, doesn’t know that physical limitation also prevents access to power (only JM & JG know)
  • even if Naksu can’t access those power, it doesn’t hurt that she is street-smart, and of course has the incredible luck of crossing path with JW
  • the stuck Chisu ability also helps prevent petrification (same in Master Lee’s case)
  • if S2-Naksu can see the kindness beyond the CP’s cold appearance, perhaps JBY can sense some good energy in Naksu also?
  • another undesirable possibility that I have toyed with is that JBY is also “feasting” on Naksu’s power-energy to help her rebuild her divine power
  • as JBY’s power recovers, so does her memory — thus she addressed Mama Jin as “Mother” (Note 1)
  • and then of course in S2 (Note 2), Master Lee had used Naksu’s trapped power to revive JBY’s totally petrified body

Note 1: 

(a)  this prevents Mama Jin from actually killing MD and then using the ice stone to revive her — I cannot yet figure out the problem yet as my brain is turning into mush ~ maybe it would again destroy what power JBY has recovered thus far?

(b)  it was a rare moment of weakness in Naksu’s soul that allows JBY’s soul to override (the other instance being when MD could not sleep well and JBY “took over” and sleepwalk into the confrontation between Master Lee & JW which she cannot see anyway, yet MD could not recall it the next day)

(c)  because of that, Mama Jin has MD under her radar and would pave the way to rescuing JBY’s petrified body

Note 2:  However powerful Naksu is, she is still a soul-shifter, susceptible to the “calling” of JM’s darn bells, resulting in loss of control and subsequent petrification

A few last points:

• That brief lapse allows JBY to call to her mother, but Naksu’s soul is still in charge b'cos JBY hasn’t recovered all her power to eject Naksu’s soul, hence JBY cannot resume her position as JYW’s successor
  • It’s probably obvious by now but perhaps Master Lee also want to spare Naksu and JW the pain. But when he hears of the engagement, he can only be amazed that JW & Naksu’s undeniable fate meant they are destined to meet again no matter what.

As I wonder about her eventual outcome, I’m also keeping in mind the fate of another couple ~ JCY & DG.

Until the very end, it will hard to figure JBY's true personality (soul) when she is so well-concealed (kudos to you @partyon for detecting that). But then no character can ever be perfect.

Which is why initially indifferent, with poor Naksu being used in so many levels and ways, I am now convinced more than compared to any other protagonists I've seen in the past many years of Korean dramas, that Naksu DESERVE a happy ending.

Please?

• Insightful 4

On 1/1/2023 at 3:21 PM, Nomorelisa said:

I watched the first episode of Season 1 and cannot wrapped my head around this.  A's soul occupies B's body and B's soul occupies A's.  A with B's body copulates with a woman and a baby is conceived.  Who then is the father? Is it A or B?  As I understand, a soul has no form, no body and no substance, hence no genes to share with a physical body, therefore the baby's father should be B. Am I right?

Related to the above which I posted some time back.  In Season 1, Mu-Deok was able to open the sealed door to enter the chamber containing the relics.  She can do so as she is of the Jin bloodline.  In Season 2, Bu-Yeon aka Naksu could also do same.  Since Bu-Yeon's soul is in the body of Naksu, she should not be able to perform this as Naksu is not from the same family bloodline.

Hope no one will ask me not to be bothered with the nitty gritty and just enjoy the drama.:confused:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jcanqueen12 said:

Or Naksu and UK conceive, and she becomes that child lol. If that makes sense?

it makes sense to me...if there is no other way for both girls souls to survive!!!she deserves some great parents...

19 minutes ago, misspiggie said:

Naksu DESERVE a happy ending.

i AGREE ...Let's hope the HONG sisters won't ruin our end ...

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Nomorelisa said:

Related to the above which I posted some time back.  In Season 1, Mu-Deok was able to open the sealed door to enter the chamber containing the relics.  She can do so as she is of the Jin bloodline.  In Season 2, Bu-Yeon aka Naksu could also do same.  Since Bu-Yeon's soul is in the body of Naksu, she should not be able to perform this as Naksu is not from the same family bloodline.

Buyeon's soul is not in the body of Naksu. It is (as explained by Master Lee in ep 2) still the body of Buyeon. They pulled the body from the lake and let Naksu's energy heal it. But as that un-petrification happened, the face took on the appearance of Naksu's original face, as it was her energy powering the healing. (Something Mama Jin was certainly not thrilled about, lol.) 

The body is still Buyeon's, she just looks like Naksu in the face. They make other references to this as well--the original body of Naksu (that was burned) was taller. And Jang Uk can feel that her hand is the same, too.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, frozentundra said:

Buyeon's soul is not in the body of Naksu. It is (as explained by Master Lee in ep 2) still the body of Buyeon. They pulled the body from the lake and let Naksu's energy heal it. But as that un-petrification happened, the face took on the appearance of Naksu's original face, as it was her energy powering the healing. (Something Mama Jin was certainly not thrilled about, lol.) 

The body is still Buyeon's, she just looks like Naksu in the face. They make other references to this as well--the original body of Naksu (that was burned) was taller. And Jang Uk can feel that her hand is the same, too.

Thanks for the clarification and yes I do recall that this was mentioned by Master Lee in conversation with JBY's mother.  I need to re-watch the first episode of Season 1 again where we see Naksu died and switched bodies.

• Like 5

Yes, I had to rewatch everything because there were just so many details that it took a bit to get it all straight. They kept Naksu's body on ice for a bit to examine it, but eventually it was dead and was publicly burned. Naksu (in the body of Buyeon/Mudeok) even watched it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, andy78 said:

Hong sisters should read our posts if they need ideas for a great end  ...i hope they will not break our hearts again...

Chingu, some writers do read Soompi posts and we are sure that through the years they did get some inspiration from them because suddenly some of our very crazy ideas were incorporated in the story.

Appear Billie Joe Armstrong GIF by Green Day

Last time this happened was when Mouse aired and suddenly Soompi chingus' ideas started coming to life in the drama. Most of them were far-reached and whimsical. :flushed:

Tagging @ferily and @Sleepy Owl for no reason :emmm:

Unfortunately, we haven't seen the Hong sisters incorporate our community's ideas in previous dramas, but we can always hope!

:wow1:

1 hour ago, misspiggie said:

Until the very end, it will hard to figure JBY's true personality (soul) when she is so well-concealed (kudos to you @partyon for detecting that).

Ummm... Wait, I did what? I'm just watching this drama using the minimum amount of brain cells necessary :joy:

7 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Btw, I rewatched ep.19, and think that the skeleton in Gwido might belong to Jang Gang. He killed himself in front of everyone by using an ice stone towards his chest. 

Noooo..... Not Ahjussi Oppa! :criesariver:

3 hours ago, Nomorelisa said:

Special mention to Shin Seung-ho as Go Won and I hope he will appear in more TV dramas.

Yes to this! :love:

Let's hope his next drama features lots and lots and LOOOOOOOTS of abs scenes! :highonflowers:

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

1 minute ago, marrez1 said:

I really want a spinoff even if based on a new character, this universe magical has so many characters and legend, it's should be fun to see others stories here

I distinctly remember reading during season 1 that season 2 was going to focus on all the supporting characters instead of the main characters.

Think Sesame Street GIF

Guess the Hong sisters changed their minds. I wanted Crown Prince and Park Jin abs. I got none. :crybaby:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

2 hours ago, misspiggie said:

However powerful Naksu is, she is still a soul-shifter, susceptible to the “calling” of JM’s darn bells, resulting in loss of control and subsequent petrification

will she be able to fight it ?she will have to face JM WILL SHE BE ABLE NOT TO LISTEN HIS BELL?Or he will fight Buyeon and Naksu MAYBE BOTH GIRLS WILL COMBINE THEIR POWERS?

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, andy78 said:

will she be able to fight it ?she will have to face JM

In Preview 9, Yul questions the Queen about hearing the bells, so maybe they are getting somewhere? 

55 minutes ago, partyon said:

Ummm... Wait, I did what? I'm just watching this drama using the minimum amount of brain cells necessary

It's ok, sometimes ignorance is bliss ... LOL

• Like 2

Based on what we have seen so far, I'm betting half the stuff we are talking about is never addressed, and the story goes in another direction, lol.

Still, now I'm curious what Jang Uk will call his wife. (So far I think he's been avoiding it by saying 너/you.) She's not in the Mudeok disguise anymore so that won't work, and she's not Buyeon. He doesn't know her by the name Yeong (though I see some fans using this for want of a better name. I mean...it IS her original name.) Naksu?? Or just yeobo?

ETA: Yes, he is aware of her original name, he overheard a conversation about it, but I mean that she has never used that name when he knew her.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, Nomorelisa said:

Hope no one will ask me not to be bothered with the nitty gritty and just enjoy the drama

Oops, I seem to have spooked you unintentionally. Glad to see you enjoying the show and back here. 

Don't hesitate with more questions or share your ideas -- it's all part of the fun!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, frozentundra said:

Based on what we have seen so far, I'm betting half the stuff we are talking about is never addressed, and the story goes in another direction, lol.

Well, this article by Ms Koala said the same thing :D

Audience Divided with Alchemy of Souls Season 2 as it Heads to Final Weekend Still Unable to Answer Basic World Building Questions

article:

https://koalasplayground.com/2023/01/02/audience-divided-with-alchemy-of-souls-season-2-as-it-heads-to-final-weekend-still-unable-to-answer-basic-world-building-questions/

I read this article, and I wholeheartedly agree with the first comment made by Anne.

Anne, if you're reading this, I agree with you!

Spongebob Squarepants Ok GIF

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

3 minutes ago, frozentundra said:

He doesn't know her by the name Yeong (though I see some fans using this for want of a better name. I mean...it IS her original name.) Naksu?? Or just yeobo?

i wonder too...Cho Yeong is her name ...is time to call her by her real name...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, partyon said:

Guess the Hong sisters changed their minds. I wanted Crown Prince and Park Jin abs. I got none. 

Twin hong sister don’t understand we are shallow fan , that  only one thing we want :mrgreen:

Cat Tripping GIF

• LOL 4

20 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

Twin hong sister don’t understand we are shallow fan , that  only one thing :mrgreen:

They don't understand what fan service means for us. :D They think it's:

largephoto1540399.jpg

We're like WRONG!

This is what we call fan service :glasses:

5048e3ce3925d7f43aa963f405dfd02f.jpg

Hello Ahjussi Oppa! :heythere:Tagging @sadthe1st

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
  • Thirsty 1