[Drama 2022] Alchemy Of Souls: Light and Shadow ✴ 반환

Maetawinz

Here is the ratings for Episode 19! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Alchemy Of Souls” Heads Into Finale Of Part 1 On Its Highest Saturday Ratings Yet

tvN’s “Alchemy of Souls” is heading into its final episode of Part 1 on a high note!

On August 27, the popular fantasy romance drama aired its penultimate episode of Part 1, which will wrap up on August 28 before the series returns with Part 2 in December.

According to Nielsen Korea, “Alchemy of Souls” scored an average nationwide rating of 7.9 percent for the night, marking its highest viewership ratings to date for a Saturday (when its ratings are typically lower compared to Sundays).

Not only did “Alchemy of Souls” take first place in its time slot among all viewers, but it also held onto its spot at first place among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it scored a nationwide average of 3.8 percent.

“Alchemy Of Souls” Heads Into Finale Of Part 1 On Its Highest Saturday Ratings Yet | Soompi

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

So, Episode 19 ...

Since I've already commented on the WTF/Whiplash moment at 3 minutes in, I'll skip the rehash :rolleyes:

As for the rest - here we go ... (in no particular order)

- Jang Gang - what a complete waste of character. A build up with no pay-off, and can someone correct me if I'm wrong ... but wasn't he also supposed to have been looking for Bu Yeon?  No explanation there.

- Master Lee - for a man with all the answers he picked a great time to sit the "Big One" out ... His absence at this critical juncture was ridiculous for the story ... and since when do kids get to wander the shores and talk to strangers ... AND EAT THEIR FOOD? ... only in Daeho I guess :rolleyes:

- Park Jin - Once again, he spools up under a full head of steam, he's looking like the powerful Mage Leader of Songrim, and then PFFFFTTT!  Another waste - they wind him up but never let him go - (I'll talk about the Queen/Shaman Choi death later)

- Maidservant Kim, ... Maidservant Kim? ... its been 3 episodes+ without any real magic with Park Jin ... we're down to the last episode ... get a move on already.

- Jin Dad - he's been conspiring with evil for more than a decade, but its Cho Yeon's tears that move him to repent? ... and fall on his sword? ... yeah right :rolleyes:

- The Queen/Shaman Choi - I actually enjoyed her big reveal scene, and her verbal take down of the leaders of Daeho. And was she really wrong in her accusations?  That was a great scene, and she pulled off over-the-edge maniacal well ... until Park Jin whacked her mid-spell.  (she should've stabbed Jin Mu before she departed, he was right there)

- Shaman Choi/ The Queen - didn't she say not to harm her body? Yet when Park Jin laid the Queen out (with seemingly minimal effort) she said nothing (he did have a good reason but still) ... but he did in essence disobey the Queen ... hmmmm

- The King - didn't seem to mind that his Queen got whacked ... or her body at least ... damn those disobeying mages :rolleyes:

- Naksu/Yul farewell - hands down the most polished scene in todays episode - while certainly not the ending for these two that many wanted, a touching goodbye for the noble Master Seo.

- Mu Deok/Jang Uk - the dissolution of the Master/Pupil promise was a great scene, that was derailed with a rushed proposal - this scene should've, and could've been alot better. 

- So I/Yul transfusion - this better get a damn good explanation otherwise it broke the story in a major way.  Jin Mu stated that it was his sorcery that kept the worm in check, and prevented it from eating her from the inside out - yet look how easily she just cut it out of herself :huh: - why wouldn't she try that before? Did she tell Yul when he woke up?  Where is she BTW? 

- Jin Mom - another WTF character departure - she clearly heard Bu Yeon even if she questions it, yet after the barrier comes down, and So I's obvious absence, Jin mother doesn't bother to approach Mu Deok to talk ... when last she saw, she had just killed Mu Deok, yet here she is alive and well after the barrier comes down, and she's even trying on dresses ... but no Jin Mom confrontation? :blink: 

- The Crown Prince - while I understand the worry, I think the CP is actually playing Jin Mu - I do think he will be the tip Jin Mu receives that Mu Deok was always Jang Uk's master thus Naksu, but if the writers try and take the CP dark in the last episode after all the learning and growing he's done, then it will destroy the drama straight up - so I'll go into tomorrows episode believing that while he may accidentally give away Naksu's secret, he will fight on the good side.

Finally, after todays episode I think the Jang Uk/Naksu story ends tomorrow - Part 2 not a sequel - here's why...

- Jang Uk has lost his power

- Mu Deok has surrendered hers

- Shaman Choi is dead

- The Ice Stone is gone = no more soulshifting without knowledge of Hwansu ie; good mages only

- Jin Mu is powerful but we already know that Master Lee alone is more powerful so other than some last minute Naksu dog whistle shenanigans, he's toast. - @partyon last episode poll on who kills him?

I think tomorrow will be the fulfillment of the 7 Stars prophecy - Jang Uk lost his power but his supporters have not and will rally to him for the final showdown

Again ... I think it will end tomorrow 

• Like 7
  • Blob 1

42 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

but wasn't he also supposed to have been looking for Bu Yeon?  No explanation there.

he wasnt.. he was wandering in self punishment for causing the birth of jang uk and tarnishing do hwa’s reputation.. in our current worldly term (not daeho’s) its called, escape reality and being irresponsible

lena dunham jerk GIF by Girls on HBO

@partyon your hobo ahjussi oppa has one more episode to redeem himself.. keep your fingers and toes crossed..

42 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

His absence at this critical juncture was ridiculous for the story

he only made his appearance when there is the king star.. first, when there is master seo who was also his kungfu master, then there is jang uk whom he tried to entice with the chaste herb tea.. i think his true identity is leeching off the king star energy..

GIF by BBC

cr.: owner

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

15 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:
53 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

but wasn't he also supposed to have been looking for Bu Yeon?  No explanation there.

he wasnt.. he was wandering in self punishment for causing the birth of jang uk and tarnishing do hwa’s reputation..

You sure? I thought there was a conversation that Jang Gang was looking for her too :unsure:

16 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

@partyon your hobo ahjussi oppa has one more episode to redeem himself.. keep your fingers and toes crossed..

I'm afraid Noona is outta luck - Jang Gang is dead ... dust ... poof!

sad luke skywalker GIF by Star Wars

:rolleyes:

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 1
  • LOL 4

10 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Jang Gang is dead ... dust ... poof!

really??

i paused at the scene where crown prince heard mu deok echoed the same words as jang uk..

darth vader dancing GIF

and im teleported to meet friends in town hahaha

oh well, at least we did get to enjoy his glorious days scene as a gwanju..

==
joo sang wook screen time salary must have been expensive..

• LOL 5
  • Blob 1

'- So I/Yul transfusion - this better get a damn good explanation otherwise it broke the story in a major way.  Jin Mu stated that it was his sorcery that kept the worm in check, and prevented it from eating her from the inside out - yet look how easily she just cut it out of herself :huh: - why wouldn't she try that before? Did she tell Yul when he woke up?  Where is she BTW?' @LeftCoastOppa

only logical explanation is that since they are inside the ice stone , magic is not effective. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense.

59eeae68ebe847ca2c6e7c4c68622b965adb8136.gifv

594fbe5c36c27f5bc36f72d0a281fd6dafa60cfa.gifv

The farewell to SeoYul from Naksu was so alluring but equally tearjerking . Their destiny is in separate ways so are the duties. The beauty is they understand this very well ..d9d06cdb9f82b4293a15680b57679f4f347aa5b7.gifv

==

Spoiler

• Like 7
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

2 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Finally, after todays episode I think the Jang Uk/Naksu story ends tomorrow - Part 2 not a sequel - here's why...

Haha!

I somehow think the scenarios you shared earlier might become a reality as Part 2 will be a sequel.
Though will Naksu forget Uk or will they both become criminals or what kind of spice will be added to the mix to build up Naksu + Uk's chemistry we will get the hints today. I want to know if Uk will grieve for MD or will it not be possible as Naksu's identity will be revealed and Kim DO J. doesn't like Naksu's sword or Naksu (?). 

I am debating if I should see episode 20 to pick it up when season 2 begins :D

They rushed to show us Uk's proposal and the preview hints at a mid-series crisis. So as of now what I have seen and known for me hints at us hanging on a cliff today.

Is Jang Gang really gone but then why did Master Lee leave that invisible letter? How could JG go without killing JM -- JG  will be back in Season 2?

So @breakmyheart and @LeftCoastOppa I don't think season 2 is a prequel. We will know post the airing today.

@STARSX The spoiler is so cute. Uk is like how could you not include me but he is also like aww... the two important ladies of my life having a good time and bonding over drinks. 

Btw I am wondering if Naksu will disappear to not become the sword to be used against UK? But how?

There are so many tangents that this can take but I wonder which will be the most satisfying story!

Sad Cry GIF

They cheated me of a good fight & proper ending of the evil arcs.... now please at least concentrate on a good romantic arc, drama!

Btw, I just like Jang Uk's hero journey.

8 hours ago, maribella said:

@SleepyKitty and @Dramafreak posts can be summarised as saying  'unresolved, hanging, open-
ended' or simply still a bloody mess. 

I think so.
You summed it up well. I think Hong Sisters are not great at thrillers and they should concentrate on romantic comedy. For me drama has been going off the rails for sometime. 

Maybe after I see the full drama (post season 2), it might make more sense but right now I think they made a mess. JG comes but just kills himself. Por que? 

10 hours ago, SleepyKitty said:

Ep 18 was basically a mini tour into naksu's internal conflict and emotional breakdown, and i feel like things just going in circles.

oh that way!
Actually I keep going back to my woes:

- story could have been tighter, they spread themselves a bit too thin.

- Like the episode on Naksu's moral dilemma came too late in the day for me. Her character is the most clunky one for me. First episode she kept saying she would kill people but when she actually interacts with the younger generation of the four families she is not shy or hostile. She hasn't thought of killing and now suddenly she is like I could kill and get the ice stone? I obviously missed steps of her inner journey so for me the episode felt a bit off. It changed the pace of the story and I will again say something I have felt for sometime: maybe the action direction part of the team is not strong. Maybe they don't have enough budget. 

- The drama tries political intrigue, action, magic, romance, friendships, villain-ships. But it is good at romance, friendships and dialogues and relationship building. Maybe they should maintain a tone that they are good at instead of trying everything.

I think CP is more bummed about MD than we know. I also think that CP has reverted back to her pre-UK-fight days so he might just be manipulated by Jin Mu only to be redeemed in a few episodes of Season 2. Redemption could also come off killing MD. 

By the way,  I thought the sleep walking state was BY's so how does Naksu wake up to bells and looks as though she is sleep walking? 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Lee Jae Wook And Jung So Min Shop For Wedding Rings In “Alchemy Of Souls”

tvN’s “Alchemy of Souls” has shared an exciting sneak peek of its Part 1 finale!

Penned by the famous screenwriting duo known as the Hong Sisters, “Alchemy of Souls” is a fantasy romance drama set in the fictional nation of Daeho, a country that does not exist in history or on maps. The drama tells the story of characters whose fates become twisted due to magic that swaps people’s souls.

Spoilers

At the end of the previous episode of “Alchemy of Souls,” Jang Wook (Lee Jae Wook) and Mu Deok (Jung So Min) ended their relationship as teacher and pupil—after which Jang Wook proposed to his former tutor by officially asking her to marry him.

In the brand-new stills from the drama’s next episode, the newly engaged Jang Wook and Mu Deok get ready to take their relationship to the next level by going shopping for wedding rings.

However, while affectionately picking out rings together, the couple is suddenly caught off guard by the merchant selling the jewelry. One photo captures the duo looking up in surprise, while the other shows an annoyed Mu Deok glaring daggers at Jang Wook, who timidly looks away from his fiancée.

Jung-So-Min-Lee-Jae-Wook.jpeg

Jung-So-Min-Lee-Jae-Wook-2.jpeg

To find out why the couple’s romantic shopping excursion goes astray—and whether they will be able to successfully tie the knot—tune in to the final episode of Part 1 of “Alchemy of Souls” on August 28 at 9:10 p.m. KST!

Lee Jae Wook And Jung So Min Shop For Wedding Rings In “Alchemy Of Souls” | Soompi

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, marrez1 said:

Jin Mu is controlling the worm inside So-i with magic, but now that Yul has this what will happen to him? i guess part 2 will answer this question, or else nothing will happen to Yul  since he is a mage

One thing for sure now Yul can open the Jinyowon Relic Museum door, Thanks to that worm transfusion from So-i. LOL:crazymad:And so Cho Yeon has a Bro because of that?

Dramabeans Korean drama recaps

Cr: dramabeans

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Where's My Oppa? 2

5 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Yeah, what an anti-climax... :unamused: His part didn't contribute one iota to the story. They should have fleshed out his character and his part of the plot a lot more than this.

I didn't even feel sad to see ahjussi oppa go. I was like:

See Ya Goodbye GIF by Mostapes

Ep 19. Nothing made sense. They rushed it, yet not much happened. Master Lee suddenly appears - then he's gone. Poof!

Magic Vanish GIF by VPRO

Only scene I really enjoyed was the one where Shaman Choi in Queen's body came clean. Great acting!

:cutekitty:

@K-dramafan22 Yeah, our ship sank. At this point I don't even care anymore. I noticed that I don't care for any of the characters. Especially the leads. Their chemistry is non-existent to me.

My prediction is that it's possible we get a sad ending today. Or at least one that appears sad. Hong sisters love to do their FLs dirty.

One thing will be certain though: It will be a messy ending. Mark my words.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1

1 hour ago, partyon said:

Yeah, what an anti-climax... :unamused: His part didn't contribute one iota to the story. They should have fleshed out his character and his part of the plot a lot more than this.

I didn't even feel sad to see ahjussi oppa go. I was like:

Ep 19. Nothing made sense. They rushed it, yet not much happened. Master Lee suddenly appears - then he's gone. Poof!

Only scene I really enjoyed was the one where Shaman Choi in Queen's body came clean. Great acting!

@K-dramafan22 Yeah, our ship sank. At this point I don't even care anymore. I noticed that I don't care for any of the characters. Especially the leads. Their chemistry is non-existent for me.

My prediction is that it's possible we get a sad ending today. Or at least one that appears sad. Hong sisters love to do their FLs dirty.

One thing will be certain though: It will be a messy ending. Mark my words.

Think we both had a rough time watching Ep 19... lol   

1. At such a late stage, to "crack a joke" about Bu-yeon's real father and now cast a doubt in our minds? 

2. The funny worm without the power to threaten Sol-i any more is just inexplicable and she is MIA now.

3. Make adjusshi oppa Jang Gang :dead: to "redeem" the mess created by him?   lol

4. Make both Choi siblings :dead: so now Jin Mu gotta recruit new ally like CP to go on in S2?  :rage:

5. Sank our ship for Yul and Naksu

6. Make us believe that Jang Uk and Naksu/Mudeok have become ordinary and planning to lead ordinary lives because they have each other? 

Like you....I think it could be a sad and messy ending too!!

Sad Cry GIF - Sad Cry Hug - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I had said So-I looked like she was sticking to the place like glue but her one man fan club who knows who he is claimed that she was controlled by JM via a worm.  Well I knew it, she was just no good. She is still alive?  So-I you watch this:Step Die GIF

I may watch both episodes tomorrow, but not very certain. I mean, what is the point of bringing in JG at the end? It was a built up to the powerful mage returning mysteriously, he should drop his rags and appear in a magnificent silk outfit, music blarring etc. á la Lord of the Rings, that would make sense. But no,  he rolled over and died, sort of.

The Naksu/BY/MD body is still one. One is a powerful priestess and the other is a superduper warrior-assasin, but she will also go phutt and die like JG while her fiance shed bitter tears - that's what will happen.:dead:

I think it's weird that JU suddenly proposed marriage when there was no talk of family earlier. Or the bickerings meant they wanted to get married. :surprisedwut:

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

If the ending is bad tonight, I shall blame Hong's sisters. They always create bad ending and no closure for the viewers. After last night episode so many things left unanswers and I hope CP just playing along with Jin Mu and not become new bad guy for Season 2. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

6 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Why can't he jump into another body? 
Not that I care. 

The hiatus was really for the Hong sisters to choose which storyline would be the least ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, maribella said:

Well I knew it, she was just no good. She is still alive?  So-I you watch this:

Chingu...

extraordinary-attorney-woo-woo-young-woo

So I won't be killed fast enough with that method. Let's go for something that will kill her off instantly! Like a huge ice stone falling from the sky.

0uxdnE.gif

@K-dramafan22 @PororoQueen So I better stay away from Yul or else....!

:kicks:

EDIT: Btw, how many of you think it's possible that Park Jin is the real dad of Bu Yeon? :notsureifserious:

• LOL 10