[Drama 2022] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming on Apple TV+ | Season 1 & 2

syntyche

3 hours ago, lupeace said:

hi there welcome to the thread. i just want to clarify that me saying i dont want to see him do 18+ scenes doesnt mean i want him to play cute characters

my point is that mature acting is not all about 18+ scenes. there are plenty of characters that require that kind of acting without it. and great actors such as leo dicaprio/ lee byung hun etc... prove that cause they are known to the audience by their great portrayl of the characters not by 18+ scenes. so were their characters cute because they didnt do 18+ scenes in all of them? ofcourse no they are the most known to have played mature characters. 

however as i said i dont really have a problem with him doing them or not cause eventuallly i will skip them. i just prefer if he doesnt

You’ve got every point that I had in my mind. It’s not like I want him to play only cute characters. @Lucy2020  I think I have already clarified that in my previous comments. And I don’t understand why maturity in acting is always being linked with 18+ scenes. It doesn’t always have to be like that. There are a lot more ways to be do that. I liked Lee Min Ho in Gangnam Blues. But I really didn’t like the 18+ scene Kim Rae Won has done in the movie. I can’t even imagine Lee Min Ho in such scenes. Omg! I still hope he doesn’t do such scenes. And Just like she said I will simply skip that part if he really does that in the series. 

Edited by Serene Tales
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Lucy2020 said:

Hello everybody!

I always follow the topics about Lee Min Ho but this is the first time I comment on it.

Agreed.

I felt a little disappointed with the speech of some fans who are uncomfortable with the possibility of Minho acting in scenes +16, +18 ....

Seriously !!! MinHo is an incredible and talented actor. He's not an "INNOCENT" teen actor, OH My GAAD !!!

He is a 33 year old, mature, handsome and hot adult actor. He has evolved since BOF and his characters follow this evolution. He's not going to make cute characters forever!

We want to see you outside your comfort zone, as in Gangnam for example. There's nothing cute and innocent about him in Gangnam !! It was amazing, killer !!!

The book factor narrating scenes +18, does not mean that there will be adult scenes in the series. However, if the scene is relevant for telling the story, then, perhaps, we will see it in this type of scene. Making an adult scene is not disparaging. On the contrary, it enriches its field of action. It is not easy for them and they need to be very well directed.

An example was the drama The World Of Married, which was a success and set a record audience in Korea. Most of the scenes in this drama were rated +18.

If there are +18 scenes in Pachinko, I hope the actors are very well directed and that they shine within the context of the plot.

I'm sorry for my bad English.

Thanks for your comment @Lucy2020, didn't expect the conversation about adult scenes can be this long, lol.

I do understand where these fans concern coming from as Korean celebrities hardcore fans are kinda different with Western celebrities fans, some of them see their bias as a perfect figure and I can see why some LMH fans see him as cute and innocent as he was widely known from dramas like BOF / The Heirs. So that's why some of his fans don't want to see him in 18+ scenes.

This is not the case for me as I found LMH first from TKEM and I am 1 year older than LMH, I'm already in my 30s when I started to watch K-drama and become K-entertainment observer, I never see LMH as cute and innocent, ahahaha. :D 

I like LMH not because I think he's perfect or innocent, but because he's a hot and talented actor with great personality.

And when I mentioned about 18+ scenes, I didn't mean that it is a must requirement to show an actor range or versatility, don't know why some think that way, it's just one of of the type of mature contents which can show an actor range, but it's not a must do to be a versatile actor. :D 

I just wanted to emphasise that 18+ scenes is just part of acting and I don't mind LMH doing it as long as it is done correctly and part of larger story telling context.

I am quoting @msdot here about adult scene that is well executed, I like the way she described it. 

Sex scenes. I would love to see him in one or two of those, 18+ or not, depending, of course, on how well it's done. For example, some of my favorites are ones Brad Pitt did in Meet Joe Black and Legends of the Fall. Very sweet and tender and not terribly explicit. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, Serene Tales said:

You’ve got every point that I had in my mind. It’s not like I want him to play only cute characters. @Lucy2020  I think I have already clarified that in my previous comments. And I don’t understand why maturity in acting is always being linked with 18+ scenes. It doesn’t always have to be like that. There are a lot more ways to be do that. I liked Lee Min Ho in Gangnam Blues. But I really didn’t like the 18+ scene Kim Rae Won has done in the movie. I can’t even imagine Lee Min Ho in such scenes. Omg! I still hope he doesn’t do such scenes. And Just like she said I will simply skip that part if he really does that in the series. 

I completely agree. 
Lee Min Ho has a wide variety of audience from different continents. Western culture is so different from Asian culture. I come from India and I can clearly understand @Serene Tales ‘s points. Here in my country, 18+ contents are regarded as a very sensitive issue. Even the OTT platforms like netflix and amazon prime are gonna get censored. To an extend I can say Korean culture is a lot similar to ours. Sex before marriage is not a good option for most Asians. See for eg in LOTBS, they lived together in a same room for months. But they only had sex after marriage. 
So what I am saying is that, not everybody’s perspective is the same. Hope u can understand other fans’ emotions too. 
@JoannaIDYes, I see him as a perfect man. I don’t want to see him acting in such parts. I am 11 years younger than him. I look up to him in every ways.

Also, He is not only cute in his dramas, he is cute in real too. Haven’t u seen his IG posts? And many fans love that side of him the most. Just like me.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Anagha said:

I completely agree. 
Lee Min Ho has a wide variety of audience from different continents. Western culture is so different from Asian culture. I come from India and I can clearly understand @Serene Tales ‘s points. Here in my country, 18+ contents are regarded as a very sensitive issue. Even the OTT platforms like netflix and amazon prime are gonna get censored. To an extend I can say Korean culture is a lot similar to ours. Sex before marriage is not a good option for most Asians. See for eg in LOTBS, they lived together in a same room for months. But they only had sex after marriage. 
So what I am saying is that, not everybody’s perspective is the same. Hope u can understand other fans’ emotions too. 
@JoannaIDYes, I see him as a perfect man. I don’t want to see him acting in such parts. I am 11 years younger than him. I look up to him in every ways.

Also, He is not only cute in his dramas, he is cute in real too. Haven’t u seen his IG posts? And many fans love that side of him the most. Just like me.

Wow.

How interesting the discussion.

I imagine the herculean work it must be for a global actor, to be bold, to step out of his comfort zone, to succeed in his project and to deal with millions of fans with different opinions in all social media worldwide (Twitter, Intagram, Facebook, Youtube, etc ...).

As fans, we only have to support you.

If anyone was offended, please excuse me. Thank you all for your contribution.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Wiggle 2

23 minutes ago, Lucy2020 said:

Wow.

How interesting the discussion.

I imagine the herculean work it must be for a global actor, to be bold, to step out of his comfort zone, to succeed in his project and to deal with millions of fans with different opinions in all social media worldwide (Twitter, Intagram, Facebook, Youtube, etc ...).

As fans, we only have to support you.

If anyone was offended, please excuse me. Thank you all for your contribution.

I find it very interesting too @Lucy2020   No offence to anyone please, meant for discussion purposes.

One thing for sure is that when LMH chose this role (Koh Hansu), he knew it's going to be a dark role, remember Lim Min Jee herself described Hansu as bad guy.  :D   Her quote in one interview :  He is 
very compelling, charismatic, cool, but you later see his more villainous aspects — really not a character intending to be evil or criminal, but because he wields so much power and resources and is ambitious as well as disciplined, intelligent and talented, he just can't help it.  

22 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I'm (still -lol) only halfway through the book, and so far, there's only one scene with Hansu that would be 18+ category.  I think it would be relatively easy not to show that particular scene.  But that being said, for me personally, if the decision is to shoot the 18+ scene, I know that is actor LMH, and not LMH, so it wouldn't bother me.  But, I do acknowledge what you are saying @Serene Tales.  And, remember also that LMH didn't write that scene, Min jin Lee wrote it.  

I too am midway through, :D I stopped at the part when Sunja was boarding the ship to Osaka.

Whatever roles he has played in the past, each scene is never the same.  Just like us wanting to see how he delivers that desirous (lustful) and mean characteristic in that content, be it matured 18+ or killing violent ones (if any), LMH will just be acting out the scenes.  Being a passionate actor, he would want to explore and exhibit those sets of behaviour.   Are we going to love him less?  Naa, I don't think so.    In GB, he was not all the time looking good in there (though the PD said he's too handsome for being a baddie:)) and there were some crude (I am not sure this is the word to use, sorry) scenes involving him.   I really enjoy his acting in GB but sadly, it's only a 2-hour movie.   

Well, whatever Koh Hansu is going to be in this adaptation, we will support LMH for being him.

• Like 7
  • Love 3

11 hours ago, Anagha said:

I completely agree. 

Interesting discussion indeed that I took time from my working activities to reply here, lol.

Thanks for your comment @Anagha, I do understand where you're coming from. I am an Asian too and I live in one of the Asian countries that people think as a 'religious country.'

About sex scene, please remember that LMH also has Personal Taste as one of his projects, that series didn't portray the "Asian traditional set of values" about sex before marriage. He took Personal Taste right after BOF, it also showed that LMH wanted to portray different kind of roles that would enrich his acting portfolios, it was a dare move back then.

If I was younger, I might think the same way as you do about LMH, but since I'm in my 30s, I have seen enough of the world, I have friends from various culture and nationalities, I try to see everything in logical and realistic perspective.

Celebrities are not perfect, they are just normal human being just like us, so I admire celebrities from their crafts and public personalities, but I also understand that what they portray in public don't actually represent their real personal lives. It's already admirable enough that LMH remained scandal free throughout the years and has done so many philanthropy works at such young age.

And whatever characters that LMH portrays, it is just LMH as an actor, not LMH as a person. So I hope you will keep supporting LMH with whatever character that he chooses to play in the future because he's truly a hardworking and remarkable actor who also had shown that he's trying to be a good role model in the public eyes. :) 

• Like 5
  • Love 3

The Korean wave also hit Italy

Apple has just started shooting Pachinko, a drama based on the most successful Korean books in the world (in Italy it is sold under the title, "The Korean Wife," and is published by Piemme). The protagonist is the king of hallyu television, Lee Min Ho.

leeminho.png

"In short, the Korean wave has now invaded our world."

Five k-dramas to watch on Netflix to learn more about the Hallyu Wave

To get to know the Korean World and the stars of hallyu, here are five series that you can watch directly from Netflix.

The King: Eternal Monarch

Boys over Flowers 

https://www.panorama.it/lifestyle/londa-coreana-ha-investito-anche-litalia?rebelltitem=2#rebelltitem2

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Lee Min Ho Shock: 'Panchiko' Actor Is Expected To Reach New Milestone On Instagram, YouTube Soon

images-12.jpeg

Lee Min Ho is set to star in a new series called Panchiko and his avid followers could not wait to see him appear on small screens again. Despite being away from the limelight for two years to serve in the military, the former boyfriend of Suzy Bae continued to hit the headlines, proving that he is, indeed, a global superstar.

The popularity of Lee Min Ho is very palpable as several brands tap him for endorsements. Hence, it comes as no surprise that the Boys over Flowers lead star has become the face of numerous marketing campaigns.

Lee Min Ho, also, has a solid fan base. In fact, recent reports suggested that The King: Eternal Monarch actor could achieve another milestone on social media. Min Ho garnered a total of 10 million followers on Instagram in June. Now, he is about to surpass the 21 million mark.

As of late, Lee Min Ho is the most followed South Korean actor. Lee Jong Suk, on the other hand, follows in second place with a total of 16.7 million. Other Kpop stars with the most followers on Instagram include BLACKPINK Lisa (30.1 million), BLACKPINK Jennie (24.9), BLACKPINK Rose (22.5), BLACKPINK Jisoo (21.2 million), EXO member Chanyeol (20.1 million), EXO member Sehun (18.6 million), BIGBANG'S G-Dragon (17.7 million) and Girl's Generation singer Taeyeon (14.23 million).

Lee Min Ho, aside from Instagram, is also nailing it on YouTube. Just after two weeks since he launched his own channel on the popular video streaming platform, the Legend of the Blue Sea actor got a total of 295,000 subscribers already. He is, also, the executive producer and creative director of the LeeMin Ho Film. His YouTube following is expected to grow exponentially in the months to come.

Stay tuned to Korea Portal for the latest news and updates about Lee Min Ho.

http://en.koreaportal.com/articles/47241/20201116/lee-min-ho-shock-panchiko-actor-is-expected-to-reach-new-milestone-on-instagram-youtube.htm

• Like 6

This adult scene is an interesting, and quite polarizing topic indeed. 

To put things into perspective, I'd like to think about Gangnam Blues. The theme of this movie is quite different from most dramas that LMH has done. Some of his fans, who are used to seeing his wholesome image in previous dramas, may not choose this as their cup of tea. While others regard this as a breath of fresh air, a challenge for LMH to showcase his potential as a versatile actor.

As we know, LMH had an adult scene here that was decided on to be deleted. I remember seeing a GB press conference where LMH was teased by the PD that he should have made a love scene for him, "Frozen Flower" style. "Frozen Flower" has love scenes that are even more intense than Western films. While LMH just laughed it off, the audience in attendance strongly disagreed.

I myself watch a wide range of genre of shows, from Korean, to Asian to Western films. GB for me is a film that exhibits what LMH can do when challenged to portray a role that is out of his comfort zone. Without the adult scene, the storytelling of the film still worked for me. Had that scene been included, I'd still watch it, and as I've seen various takes on adult scenes, from suggestive to explicit, I'd probably regard it as an art of expression of the director/production, and would still see GB as one of LMH's exceptional works.

On the other hand, public reception is another thing. I remember a recent kdrama shown in a local station, where some went as far as asking for its cancelation due to its sexual overtones involving a minor. As Pachinko, that drama was also based on a previous work which called for such overtones (and wasn't Sunja also a minor when she met Hansu?)

Well, Pachinko would be shown on Apple TV+, a US-based platform that has a more liberal take on adult themes. But Apple TV+ is aiming to enter the Korean market and release Pachinko. And that is where the possible conflict lies - will they take on the conservative route in consideration of the nationality of their lead star and traditional Korean values, or will they go by their usual liberal stance on adult themes? 

Yet another conflict is the one that we're having now - public reception. I understand that LMH has a wholesome image, and some would very much want him to maintain that image. While others would want him to take on mature roles and hence are open to the possibility of seeing him in adult scenes. We all have our opinions, and I hope that these are taken into consideration by LMH's team (Any MYM lurkers here? :lol:) I guess it boils down to what image and career path LMH wants to take in the future. And of course the Pachinko production which ultimately decides on what and what not to show. Until then, it's still a long waiting process for us. And there would definitely be another round of discussion when the scene is finally shown (or not).

• Like 7
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, syntyche said:

To put things into perspective, I'd like to think about Gangnam Blues. The theme of this movie is quite different from most dramas that LMH has done. Some of his fans, who are used to seeing his wholesome image in previous dramas, may not choose this as their cup of tea. While others regard this as a breath of fresh air, a challenge for LMH to showcase his potential as a versatile actor.

As we know, LMH had an adult scene here that was decided on to be deleted. I remember seeing a GB press conference where LMH was teased by the PD that he should have made a love scene for him, "Frozen Flower" style. "Frozen Flower" has love scenes that are even more intense than Western films. While LMH just laughed it off, the audience in attendance strongly disagreed.

I myself watch a wide range of genre of shows, from Korean, to Asian to Western films. GB for me is a film that exhibits what LMH can do when challenged to portray a role that is out of his comfort zone. Without the adult scene, the storytelling of the film still worked for me. Had that scene been included, I'd still watch it, and as I've seen various takes on adult scenes, from suggestive to explicit, I'd probably regard it as an art of expression of the director/production, and would still see GB as one of LMH's exceptional works.

On the other hand, public reception is another thing. I remember a recent kdrama shown in a local station, where some went as far as asking for its cancelation due to its sexual overtones involving a minor. As Pachinko, that drama was also based on a previous work which called for such overtones (and wasn't Sunja also a minor when she met Hansu?)

Well, Pachinko would be shown on Apple TV+, a US-based platform that has a more liberal take on adult themes. But Apple TV+ is aiming to enter the Korean market and release Pachinko. And that is where the possible conflict lies - will they take on the conservative route in consideration of the nationality of their lead star and traditional Korean values, or will they go by their usual liberal stance on adult themes? 

Yet another conflict is the one that we're having now - public reception. I understand that LMH has a wholesome image, and some would very much want him to maintain that image. While others would want him to take on mature roles and hence are open to the possibility of seeing him in adult scenes. We all have our opinions, and I hope that these are taken into consideration by LMH's team (Any MYM lurkers here? :lol:) I guess it boils down to what image and career path LMH wants to take in the future. And of course the Pachinko production which ultimately decides on what and what not to show. Until then, it's still a long waiting process for us. And there would definitely be another round of discussion when the scene is finally shown (or not).

@syntyche I respect you dear. You have a very good take on everything. :heart: 
I still hope he doesn’t choose to do that. 

The bed scene that he mentioned he had done in GB was that shirtless scene, right? I have absolutely no problem with such scenes. And I loved him in GB a lot. Of course that is one of his greatest works. I don’t want him to do scenes like Kim Rae Won has done in that movie. :dizzy:

• Like 4

20 hours ago, syntyche said:

if the producers indeed include the 18+ scene, I will support LMH because he is an actor and he always does his best to portray his characters. :approves:  I will personally close my eyes or skip the scene :D 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Serene Tales said:

@syntyche I respect you dear. You have a very good take on everything. :heart: 
I still hope he doesn’t choose to do that. 

The bed scene that he mentioned he had done in GB was that shirtless scene, right? I have absolutely no problem with such scenes. And I loved him in GB a lot. Of course that is one of his greatest works. I don’t want him to do scenes like Kim Rae Won has done in that movie. :dizzy:

Thanks, @Serene Tales. The deleted adult scene I mentioned was I believe, more than that shirtless scene. As it was not released, we may never know the extent of that scene.  

Like @Nikaa94 said, let's support LMH regardless of whatever they show or not show in the drama. :)  

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 3

Haha I agree with Polarizing POV regarding Koh Hansu and his portrayal onscreen with or without addition of Adult Scenes. I just started reading this book, almost done with Part 1. I found the initial description of Hansu dreamy BUT...I don't like him right now at least. Main reason because this is a Family conflicted drama as the core base spanning almost a century in a disturbed politically toned Nation.

I wonder LMH will play Noa as well or not? But Hansu Hansu you are making my blood boil right now.LMH makes my blood boil wow that will be new for me :P Waiting for that.

YES Sunja was a MINOR in 21st Century Terms when she met Hansu who is 34. But we are talking about EARLY 1900 AROUND 1920 , 16-17 Was a Young Adult back then when She was good enough to be married and have kids. While looking at that scenario we have to understand we are basically dealing with a 23 year Old and 40 year Old in Present day world IMO. We cannot take her a a kid or Minor in terms of the World back then. That makes it more acceptable.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, madmad min said:

Haha I agree with Polarizing POV regarding Koh Hansu and his portrayal onscreen with or without addition of Adult Scenes. I just started reading this book, almost done with Part 1. I found the initial description of Hansu dreamy BUT...I don't like him right now at least. Main reason because this is a Family conflicted drama as the core base spanning almost a century in a disturbed politically toned Nation.

I wonder LMH will play Noa as well or not? But Hansu Hansu you are making my blood boil right now.LMH makes my blood boil wow that will be new for me :P Waiting for that.

YES Sunja was a MINOR in 21st Century Terms when she met Hansu who is 34. But we are talking about EARLY 1900 AROUND 1920 , 16-17 Was a Young Adult back then when She was good enough to be married and have kids. While looking at that scenario we have to understand we are basically dealing with a 23 year Old and 40 year Old in Present day world IMO. We cannot take her a a kid or Minor in terms of the World back then. That makes it more acceptable.

@madmad min, you have a point there. People back then got married at a younger age, practically considered minors in our time now.

• Like 5
  • Wiggle 1

28 minutes ago, syntyche said:

@madmad min, you have a point there. People back then got married at a younger age, practically considered minors in our time now.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Sunjas Mom is 2 years Older than Hansu , and is a Widow.If I am literally concentrating on Real Age instead of Experienced Age than it becomes very convoluting. Sunja Mom and ladies her age Should play with grandkids there. Age is just a number in this book. :D

• Like 4
  • Wiggle 1

2 hours ago, syntyche said:

Thanks, @Serene Tales. The deleted adult scene I mentioned was I believe, more than that shirtless scene. As it was not released, we may never know the extent of that scene.  

Like @Nikaa94 said, let's support LMH regardless of whatever they show or not show in the drama. :)  

Can some one please translate the last part of this interview? I guess it’s something about the deleted scene. 
I heard from someone that the bed scene the director mentioned was just that shirtless scene and that was all. They said that kind of implying scenes were also considered as a bed scene in Korea bcs it gives a hint on what was going on. I am not sure about this. And I like to believe he did nothing more than that shirtless scene in the movie.

This interview is really funny. It is sad that there are no subtitles for this full interview on youtube. MinHo is sooo cute in this.:love:

Edited by Serene Tales
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Min2206 said:

One thing for sure is that when LMH chose this role (Koh Hansu), he knew it's going to be a dark role, remember Lim Min Jee herself described Hansu as bad guy.  :D   Her quote in one interview :  He is very compelling, charismatic, cool, but you later see his more villainous aspects — really not a character intending to be evil or criminal, but because he wields so much power and resources and is ambitious as well as disciplined, intelligent and talented, he just can't help it.

It is Indeed a Dark Role. I can't call Hansu a villain in essence, but he who has Power and Makes the most of it. He maybe described himself to Sunja very early on "You want to see a very Bad man? Make an ordinary Man successful beyond his imagination. Let's see how good he is when he can do whatever he wants">>>That is Hansu in a nutshell!!

But for sure he ain't a character you can easily sympathize with. I love that LMH took on this as a role.If done right , this can do Wonders for his profile.

• Love 1
  • Awesome 3

7 hours ago, syntyche said:

Yeah!

It’s not just about me. There are a lot more fans than you may even think who will be uncomfortable watching him do adult scenes. I am scared if he will lose some of those fans. I want him to be loved by everyone. But of course we are just fans. We can only cheer for whatever role he takes up. 
And I will love him no matter what!
Looking forward to watch his wonderful performance in Pachinko ( without adult scenes. Uggh:tounge_wink::tired:

Fighting! 

• Like 4
  • Wiggle 1