[Movie 2022] Emergency Declaration, 비상선언 - Song Kang Ho, Lee Byung Hun, Jeon Do Yeon

rubie

July 21, 2021

spacer.png

Ma chère Anne,

Vous avez capturé tous les moments beaux et significatifs de la présence de Lee Byung Hun au Festival de Cannes. La vidéo est très bien faite et dotée d'excellentes traductions. Je l'adore en noir et blanc! Merci infiniment.

@Annelyse CourtYou have captured all the beautiful and significant moments of Lee Byung Hun's presence at the Cannes Film Festival.  The video is very well done and equipped with excellent translations.   I love it in black and white!  Thank you so much.

Screenshot_2021-07-21_at_5.43.52_PM.png

• Like 4

July 22, 2021 

Talk with Song Kang-ho and Lee Byung-hun in Cannes, "Korean Film, imprinted around the world"

34-AABA82-1671-4-BF6-8-AA7-82-B1-CE5-B67

Song Kang-ho and Lee Byung-hun met at the 74th Cannes Film Festival.

"Nice to meet you. Oh? No, I know this reporter. Hehehe," said Song Kang-ho, a judge at the Cannes Film Festival. As he was sitting at the table after finishing an interview with the film festival, he suddenly found out that I was a reporter who was covering in Korea while trying to give an orderly greeting, and his face brightened. He took a sip of water and resolved the incident by recalling the last time he met with this paper.

The moment when "Parasite" won the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival is as vivid as yesterday. I remember being very surprised and pleased to cover the historical site there. At that time, Song Kang-ho visited the press room and gave a big round of applause to director Bong Joon-ho. Song Kang-ho, who met again in Cannes after two years and two months, was different. Compared to then, he was more relaxed and even his appearance was changed into a "Cannes style."

Lee Byung-hun was given the impression that he is a shining actor overseas. A suit with a well-organized hairstyle and angular angles. Even fluent English skills. He was also relaxed on the overseas stage. While conducting interviews with foreign media, I could feel the dignity of a true "world class" from taking care of the media who started to cover in Korea. The first actor to present the closing ceremony. The title alone was a burden. He said, "I'm nervous," but on stage, he finished the award beautifully, with fluent French, English, and humor.

The 74th Cannes Film Festival, which was held under the sky in July, was hotter than ever. The film festival resumed after two years and two months in the wake of the coronavirus. The long-awaited desire of filmmakers from all over the world gathered at the Lumiere Theater. Great films from all over the world have decorated the competition candidates splendidly. Unfortunately, the film festival was deprived of the desire for the names of Korean films and filmmakers to be called at the closing ceremony, but if you look at the faces of competitors and directors, it was fiercer than ever.

It was also a film festival that added significance to Korean film history. Actor Song Kang-ho was the judge, and Lee Byung-hun was the presenter of the closing ceremony. They are all the first male actors to record. In particular, director Bong Joon-ho, who directed "Parasite," the first Korean film to win the Palme d'Or at the 72nd Cannes International Film Festival in 2019, made a surprise appearance at this year's opening ceremony and declared its opening in Korean. It was the first film festival where director of "WC" (World Class) and actor opened and closed the door and participated in the screening.

I don't think you could have imagined it. I can't believe the day has come when Korean filmmakers will be able to go on stage at the Cannes Film Festival. Even if there were no competing films, that was enough coverage. It was able to cover a wide range of foreign works, atmosphere, and filmmakers from all over the world who gathered in Pandemic situations, away from the issue-chasing coverage. It was the first film festival since winning the "Parasite" award. I felt that the way I looked at Korean movies changed from two years ago.

During the 74th Cannes International Film Festival, we met Song Kang-ho and Lee Byung-hun at a cafe in Cannes, a southern French city, respectively, and asked them about the changes in their views on Korean films and their reactions as actors overseas. Song Kang-ho, the main character of Parasite and the first judge, and Lee Byung-hun, the first-generation world star to star in Hollywood, said, "I feel that Korean movies are clearly imprinted on movie audiences around the world."

On the way to interview Song Kang-ho, a song by BTS (BTS) was played on the street of a luxury shop along the beach. 'This is a compartment, not Busan.' That was strange. Some say that almost everyone who dreams of going to the Cannes Film Festival has a day in their hearts. It is a great honor to receive Cannes’ invitation. However, 10 years ago, or just five years ago, the temperature of Cannes watching Korean movies was different from now. What happened in the meantime? I met Song Kang-ho and Lee Byung-hun, the two leading roles in change.

Q. =I feel that filmmakers around the world have changed their views on Korean movies since 'Parasite' as a result of local coverage. Do you feel anything as an actor overseas?

Song Kang-ho: Can you feel that Cannes cares about Bong Joon-ho and me differently? Judge Spike Lee is showing a lot of interest. He brought the "Parasite" poster and got my autograph. He said, "I need to get an autograph from Director Bong Joon-ho, but He went back to Korea yesterday." Of course, we're all close. I've seen him from time to time during the 'Parasite' Oscar race with Bong.

Lee Byung-hun: I feel how influential Korean movies are to people all over the world. I can act with great pride in what I do. If our movie industry gets bigger, it's good for me and it's better for my juniors. I think this is the time to show Korean contents to filmmakers all over the world. Wouldn't there be more interest in domestic content in the future? Come to think of it, only movie enthusiasts were interested in Mexican movies such as Inaritu. But now we all know that Mexican movies are great. There are a lot of great directors. I think it's our turn now.

Q. = Is it still 'Parasite' when it comes to Korean movies? If there's anything you feel locally.

Song Kang-ho: I heard that it was not easy to access Korean movies in South America, but it changed. People in Iran, Brazil, South America, and the Middle East are also interested in Korean movies. Korean movies were very rare in that area. What I feel for sure is that our movie's wall is gone. In that sense, we talk a lot about Parasite. Someone said 'Parasite' was my first Korean movie. I heard that I found more Korean movies after that. There are a lot of people who tell me that.

Q.= 'Parasite' won the first Palme d'Or at the 72nd Cannes Film Festival in 2019. Actor Lee Byung-hun is the original world star who worked hard and starred in Hollywood, and as the one who has built trust on the overseas stage, I felt that it would be different to see the glory of Parasite.

Lee Byung-hun: Of course I envious. Haha. I remember cheering while watching the live at home at dawn. It was an amazing moment, and I thought it was amazing. Especially, when I saw director Bong Joon-ho and Song Kang-ho on the same stage at the closing ceremony, I felt, "Wow, something amazing has happened.

Q. = Do you feel any changes in viewing domestic content through your skin?

Lee Byung-hun: When I asked foreign reporters at the Cannes Film Festival this year, I realized that trust in Korean content has increased. No matter how much of a movie reporter you are, you couldn't have seen all of the previous films, but I got the impression that they understood deeply about the previous ones. It's my first impression. What I felt while talking about is that there is basic trust in Korean content.

Q. = Why and when do you think the way you look at Korean movies has changed?

Song Kang-ho: The Cannes Film Festival has been a remarkable development and growth of Korean films over the past 20 years. I think I've been watching that process for 20 years. Outstanding directors and artists such as Lee Chang-dong, Hong Sang-soo, Bong Joon-ho, Park Chan-wook are constantly paying off with good works. I feel that the way I look at it has changed. Some of the judges are fans of Korean movies, and some are asking about how to work in Korea, and not just greeting (how to). I feel that the existence of Korean movies has become a must for moviegoers around the world.

Q. =This year's Cannes Film Festival opened with difficulty. You can enter Lumiere theater only if you wear a tuxedo and a mask on your dress. The world's film industry is paying attention to Cannes. With this in mind, attention is focused on whether the film festival will resume or not. What do you think about it?

Song Kang-ho: The quarantine rules are so thorough that I had regular PCR tests at a temporary screening clinic. You need to be tested negative to enter. I have to watch a movie with a mask on at the Lumiere Theater. Everyone must wear a mask inside the Palette Festival. It's under strict quarantine rules, but the hot atmosphere is no different from the old Cannes Film Festival. I'm jealous to see you enjoying the festival without shrinking. Passion is still hot. I hope it happens soon in our country.

Lee Byung-hun: When I first heard about the invitation, I wasn't sure if I could go to Cannes this year. Fortunately, I was vaccinated, but I was very surprised when I arrived. I felt that the faces of the filmmakers who looked happy in the picturesque sky were unrealistic. As a movie lover, I was so happy to be on the red carpet at a film festival after a long time. I don't want this time to end.

Q. = Song Kang-ho and Lee Byung-hun. Two of the best actors in the film industry appeared together in the movie 'Emergency Declaration'. The movie that was released through press screening was very interesting. Many people are curious about what kind of work it is just that you two appeared in one film.

Lee Byung-hun: It was nice to be with Song Kang-ho after a long time. I was looking forward to how fun our movie would be. This work was really good, and it will be remembered as a meaningful work in many ways.

Song Kang-ho: I had a lot of confidence in being with Lee Byung-hun. It's my third work with director Han Jae-rim since "The Show Must Go on" (2007) and "The Face Reader (2013), and I thought I could act comfortably because the work he wrote was good and the actors I worked with are reliable. 'Emergency Declaration' is a movie that makes us think about our neighbors and family. I think we'll find valuable values, values for people, values for society through the Emergency Declaration.

Source: Naver 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here are two French critics of Emergency declaration following the screening of the film in preview at Canne…

EMERGENCY2.jpg

TELERAMA

Thomas Bécard

Terrorist Spreading Virus in the Air…

It starts with a furious urge to scratch. A little cough, the head turning. Then blisters appear on his skin. This first-class passenger on KI501, which connects Seoul to Honolulu, doesn’t look like he’s in top shape. And it does not get better once in the toilet: blood squirts from one of the veins of his forehead, then from his left eye. Panic when it comes out: even the head of the cabin doesn’t know what to do with this guy who just collapsed, dying, in the middle of the driveway. And what she doesn’t know yet is that a terrorist found a way to spread a virus on his plane, and he just made his first victim. Of the hundred and fifty people on board, how many will arrive alive in Hawaii? This is the whole question that runs through Emergency Declaration, signed by director Han Jae-rim and presented out of competition, an effective thriller that classically plays on the tension between the horror of the situation in the plane and the management of the crisis on the ground.

Source : https://www.telerama.fr/festival-de-cannes/cannes-2021-le-recap-du-jour-ouf-le-festival-a-survecu-au-virus-6927377.php

EMERGENCY1.jpg

TOILE OBSCURE.FR

Quentin Le Gohic

Cannes 2021: Critics of Emergency Declaration

Five years after the memorable screening of Dernier train pour Busan at midnight, the Cannes Film Festival once again shook with a Korean disaster film: Han Jae-rim’s Emergency Declaration, this time out of competition. These screenings, a sort of camouflaged opening to mainstream cinema for the Festival, are nevertheless full of beautiful surprises and a reception often enthusiastic by the Cannes public.

In-ho, a seasoned policeman, receives a report of a video about an air terrorist threat. During his investigation, he understands that the suspect is already on board flight KI501. Despite his fear of flying, Jae-hyuk decides to go to Hawaii to treat his daughter. The presence of a man who lurks around him making threats attracts his attention. On Flight KI501 from Incheon to Hawaii, a passenger unexplained his death. A feeling of panic and terror spreads over the plane and the ground. Upon hearing the news, the Minister of Territory and Transport, Sook-hee, set up an anti-terrorist crisis unit and organized an emergency meeting to find a solution to land the aircraft.

Disaster thriller against the backdrop of a terrorist attack, Emergency Declaration does not seem to be the most inspired on paper. But from this generic observation to Non-stop, Han Jae-rim nevertheless incorporates a new element, and ironically current, in the threat that weighs on this flight. A threat that the trailer skillfully takes care not to reveal and that is experienced in real time, on land and in the air, by two huge Korean actors: Song Kang-ho and Lee Byung-hun. A summit meeting that keeps its promises and gives these two giants the space to deploy their talent. Far from the usual clichés of the genre, the film treats its characters with intelligence and good faith, not seeking to exhaust their idiotic side to create incalculable adventures to the detriment of the narrative.

There’s a pilot in the plane

With its smooth blockbuster look, Han Jae-rim’s film builds a balanced rhythm and mastered in its first part before drawing a long conclusion that would have deserved the same treatment as its introductory inclination. Despite everything, and with its 2h27 on the clock, Emergency Declaration captivates by its very aerial approach to realization. With his daring camera movements he recalls precisely his railway inclination, Last train for Busan, even if some scenes would have gained to be inspired by his minimalism of the action which here seems more flashy and endless in some sequences (thinking of a very long ‘air roll’).

Clever and inventive, the screenplay is never a pretext and allows the feature film to win us in a real race against time supported by a dynamic montage, and mirror with the investigators on the ground. As often in Korea, the political sub-text is light, but has the merit of existing in an increasingly smooth American paradigm.

Always keeping in mind his objective, Han Jae-rim delivers an honest and successful film.  Not seeking the unexpected twist in the stupidity of its characters, Emergency Declaration recalls the best disaster films: The Infernal Tower and The Poseidon’s Adventure in mind.  From this incredible cast he draws contrasting and moving performances when it comes to assuming the consequences of a straightforward story.

Source : https://toileobscure.fr/critique-emergency-declaration/

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

November 18, 2021

'Emergency Declaration' will be released in January 2022.

spacer.png

Showbox's message:

"Official] <Declaration of Emergency> Confirmed for release in January 2022

Reality Aviation Disaster Acclaimed Around the World

The most anticipated work that needs no explanation! Definitely in the theater"

Source:  IG of showbox.movie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/11/689_319048.html
Virus-related disaster thriller 'Emergency Declaration' coming to theaters in January 2022

By Kwak Yeon-soo | 2021-11-18

spacer.png
Song Kang-ho in a scene from the film, "Emergency Declaration" / Courtesy of Showbox

The disaster action film, "Emergency Declaration," which had its world premiere at this year's Cannes Film Festival, is coming to theaters in January 2022. It had finished filming in November of last year, but was said to be put on indefinite hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Directed by Han Jae-rim, the film centers on a commercial airline that faces a lethal virus outbreak on one of its planes, which forces the pilot and passengers to take unconventional emergency measures. It will deliver some much needed spectacle to action film buffs, as the characters struggle to survive inside the plane facing a dark fate.

It boasts an all-star cast, with "Parasite" lead actor Song Kang-ho alongside Lee Byung-hun, following his special appearance in hit Netflix series "Squid Game," and Cannes Best Actress winner Jeon Do-yeon. Lee recently wrapped up filming the disaster thriller, "Concrete Utopia," with Park Seo-joon, while Jeon starred opposite Ryu Jun-yeol in the JTBC drama, "Lost".

The cast also includes Kim Nam-gil, Yim Si-wan, Kim So-jin and Park Hae-joon. Han wrote the script, completed the casting and was prepared to start shooting before the global pandemic hit, so the filming took place during the health crisis. There were times when shooting was suspended, but the crew safely completed the film. 

"It was a big challenge for the entire cast and the crew, but thankfully, we got through the worst of it. It wouldn't have been possible without their professionalism. The situation worldwide is slowly improving, despite the turmoil, and I hope that this film can help provide a small measure of comfort and hope to audiences who are exhausted from dealing with the pandemic," Han said in a statement. 

"Emergency Declaration" received critical acclaim when it was invited to the Out of Competition category at the 74th Cannes Film Festival. "It's the perfect genre film," Cannes artistic director Thierry Fremaux said of the film. 

Doris Pfardrescher, the president and CEO of Well Go USA Entertainment, who is in charge of North American distribution rights, also praised the film.

"'Emergency Declaration' is eerily timely, and the brilliance of the cast makes it almost inevitable that viewers will be forced to wonder about their own actions if faced with similar circumstances," she said. 

"While development and preproduction for the film were in motion well before the worldwide pandemic took hold, this combination of a sudden calamity, high-stakes moral dilemmas and an eventual 'us vs. them' mentality will likely feel all too familiar to audiences around the world," Pfardrescher added.

- Related Coverages: Yonhap | zapzee

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

November 19, 2021

The movie "Emergency Landing" combining Song Kang Ho, Lee Byung Hun, Jeon Do Yeon and Kim Nam Gil will be released in Korea in January 2022  - (a translation) 

spacer.png

Assembling the top actors of Chungmuro, "Emergency Landing" (originally known as "Extraordinary Manifesto”), one of the most anticipated films of moviegoers, will be released in Korea in January 2022.

"Emergency Landing," the only Korean film to be presented out of competition at the 74th Cannes Film Festival, has drawn global attention.  It depicts a real aviation disaster movie in which a plane declares that it must land unconditionally in the face of the first disaster in history.  After the broadcast  at the Cannes Film Festival, the movie received a standing ovation of 10 minutes.

"Emergency Landing" is the first movie about an aviation disaster in Korea, creating a heated debate. Directed by Han Jae Rim, who has won praise for his previous works.  He also tried to maximize the experience of reality by making 

all the audience feel like they are on the same flight. The experiences of these protagonists are expected to resonate with the audience.

Source:  https://www.koreastardaily.com/sc/news/138517

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2021/12/15/entertainment/movies/Emergency-Declaration-Song-Kangho-Lee-Byunghun-and-Jeon-Doyeon/20211215154603807.html
Release date for film 'Emergency Declaration' postponed due to Covid

BY HALEY YANG [yang.hyunjoo@joongang.co.kr] | December 15, 2021

spacer.png

A scene from the upcoming film ″Emergency Declaration″ [SHOWBOX]

The release date for the upcoming film "Emergency Declaration" has been postponed due to the recent surge in Covid-19 cases, according to its distributor Showbox on Wednesday. 

The film, directed by Han Jae-rim and starring actors Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun, Jeon Do-yeon, Kim Nam-gil and Yim Si-wan, was originally scheduled to hit local theaters in January 2022.

"As Covid-19 is rapidly spreading and many industries are strengthening their pandemic measures, we considered these difficulties and postponed the opening date of 'Emergency Declaration,'" said Showbox.

The new release date has not been disclosed. Showbox added that "Emergency Declaration" will hit theaters when "it becomes easier for moviegoers to visit cinemas."

The plot of "Emergency Declaration" centers around a plane struggling to make an emergency landing after a detective receives a tip that a potential terrorism suspect has boarded the plane. 

In July, the film was invited to be screened out of competition at the Cannes Film Festival.

• 3 months later...

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065594820114695
'Hansan'·'Alien'·'Emergency Declaration' to hit theaters one after another this summer

YonhapNews / 2022-04-19 15:33:56
(This article is translated from Korean to English by An Hayeon.)

SEOUL, April 19 (Yonhap) -- S. Korea has decided to lift COVID-19 social distancing measures after 2 years and this change is expected to revitalize the theaters.  Blockbusters that postponed their releases are starting to announce release schedules while films submitted to Cannes Film Festival are also to be screened in the cinemas.

Firstly, the “Hansan: Rise of the Dragon,” follow-up of S. Korea’s box office success “The Admiral: Roaring Currents” (2014), is confirmed to hit theaters in July, according to Lotte Entertainment. “Hansan,” the second movie of director Kim Han-min’s Yi Sun-sin trilogy, finished shooting in September 2020 and was preparing to hit cinemas last summer. However, the movie was delayed due to COVID-19.

The first film of the trilogy, "The Admiral: Roaring Currents," garnered a total of 17.61 million admissions and is still ranking first for having the highest number of views in Korean movie history. “Noryang,” the final entry of the Yi trilogy, also finished filming in June last year.

As “Hansan,” which is considered the most promising film since last year, noticed its release schedule, other tent-pole films will also be screened one after another. 

Spoiler

E4B94FF7-EC93-4799-8A1A-4C29981C4A4D.jpg

▲ This photo, provided by Lotte Entertainment, shows the poster of “Hansan: Rise of the Dragon." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Director Han Jae-rim’s disaster-action film “Emergency Declaration,” which was invited to Canne’s Film Festival last year, will be screened in July~August, according to Showbox.   “Emergency Declaration,” a film starring veteran actors and actresses, including Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun, Jeon Do-yeon, and Im Si-wan, was set to be released last January but was delayed due to the COVID-19 situation. 

2BBA4BA2-10E1-44B5-9014-468A954350C6.jpg
▲ This photo, provided by Showbox, shows a scene from the movie "Emergency Declaration." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

CJ ENM will also reveal director Choi Dong-hoon’s new film “Alien.”   “Alien,” which was filmed over a year from March 2020 to April 2021, is a sci-fi action fantasy that depicts a time-slip story between swordsmen in the late Goryeo period and aliens living in the present, trying to find a mysterious sword.  The movie boasts a star-studded cast including Ryu Jun-yeol, Kim Woo-bin, Kim Tae-ri, Yeom Jung-ah, Jo Woo-jin, Lee Ha-nui, and Kim Eui-sung. The first part and the second half of the film were shot at the same time, but only the first installment will hit the theaters this summer.

Spoiler

C929F0C0-1EE0-4D81-B87B-38FC2FA9C37C.jpg

▲ This photo, provided by CJ ENM, shows movie "Alien." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Big Hollywood films will also come out this summer. Marvel’s superhero Thor’s fourth solo movie “Thor: Love and Thunder,” will be released in the coming July. Thor is the first Marvel hero to star in a fourth solo film.  The movie is once again directed by Taika Waititi, who created Thor’s biggest hit “Thor Ragnarok” (2017). Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman will return as Thor and Jane, while Christian Bale will appear for the first time.

Before the summer begins, films that entered the competition section of the 75th Cannes Film Festival, including “Decision to leave” by director Park Chan-wook and "Broker" by Japanese auteur Hirokazu Kore-eda, will hit the cinemas one after another in June.   Both films, which have the potential to win the awards, gained attention with their star cast including Tang Wei, Park Hae-il, Song Kang-ho, Bae Doo-na, Gang Dong-won, and Lee Ji-eun.

The directorial debut film “Hunt,” by the “Squid Game” star Lee Jung-jae, will first be revealed in Cannes Film Festival's out-of-competition "Midnight Screenings,” and arrive in the cinemas this summer.

In May, “The Outlaws 2” starring Ma Dong-seok, and Hollywood blockbusters “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” and “Top Gun: Maverick” will be available in theaters. 

“Since the social distancing rules are lifted, various films are preparing for their releases,” said an official from a film distribution company. (END)

(C) Yonhap News Agency. All Rights Reserved

• Like 2

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20220420003800315
Homegrown blockbusters set to be shown on big screen in coming months

By Kim Boram (brk@yna.co.kr) | April 20, 2022

SEOUL, April 20 (Yonhap) -- A slew of homegrown films by star directors and actors are poised to hit theaters in coming months and expected to give a fresh boost to the pandemic-hit movie industry amid the nationwide move to return to normal.

Written and directed by Cannes-winning Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda, "Broker" will be released in early June. It is Kore-eda's first Korean-language project and one of the two Korean films to compete for the highest honor of the Palme d'Or at this year's Cannes Film Festival next month.  Starring Song Kang-ho of "Parasite," Gang Dong-won and Bae Doo-na, "Broker" features the relationships of characters formed through a baby box, where people anonymously drop off newborns that they can't raise.

Spoiler

267E6D1F-9145-48B3-96AC-9356D7488C15.jpg

▲ A poster of "Broker" by CJ ENM (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Another Cannes-invitee, "Decision to Leave," a film by Park Chan-wook, will be shown in late June.  It is about a detective who suspects a mysterious widow in a murder case and later becomes interested in her. Chinese actress Tang Wei of "Lust, Caution" (2007) and Korean actor Park Hae-il star in the film.

The historical war film "Hansan" directed by Kim Han-min will be coming in July.  It is the second film of Kim's trilogy about battles led by Admiral Yi Sun-shin during the Japanese invasions of Korea in late 16th century. The 2014 film "Roaring Currents," the most-viewed film in South Korea with a total of 17.6 million spectators, was the first of the series.  "Hansan" depicts the historical Battle of Hansan, which took place years before Battle of Myeongnyang Strait set in "Roaring Currents."

Spoiler

3BBAD769-030F-443E-B478-0ED64AF0FC64.jpg

▲ A poster of "Hansan" by Lotte Entertainment (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

The action fantasy film "Alien," directed by hitmaker Choi Dong-hoon of "The Thieves" (2012) and "Assassination" (2015), will likely hit local screens this summer.  The film, which stars Kim Tae-ri, Kim Woo-bin and Ryu Jun-yeol, is about a time portal that connects the present Korea to the 14th century Goryeo, where sorcerers are competing for the magical sword.

The star-studded disaster film "Emergency Declaration," which was invited to the out of competition section of last year's Cannes Film Festival, is also one of the films to be released in summer.  Starring Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun and Jeon Do-yeon, the film revolves around a veteran detective who tries to uncover a terrorist plot on an airplane and rescue his wife.  Its theatrical release had been slated for January but was put on hold indefinitely due to the recent surge in COVID-19 infections stemming from the omicron variant.

"The Witch: Part 2," the sequel to the 2018 film "The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion" by Park Hoon-jung, "Smuggle" by Ryoo Seung-wan of "Escape from Mogadishu," and "Hunt," a directorial debut of "Squid Game" star Lee Jung-jae, are among the big-name films set to compete in summer.

Spoiler

AC4EBDF9-2522-4CDB-B2AB-2C679A91CED5.jpg

▲ A poster of "Hunt" by Megabox Plus M (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Over the yearslong pandemic, the South Korean film industry has been struggling with a sharp drop in the number of moviegoers due to strict social distancing rules and lack of new releases.  An average 60 million people came to theaters in 2020 and 2021, tumbling from 226 million moviegoers tallied in 2019. (END)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

June 7, 2022

'Emergency Declaration'... Movie starring Song Kang-ho, Jeon Do-yeon, Lee Byung-hun, and Im Si-wan to be released soon

The film 'Emergency Declaration' (/Screenplay/ Director Han Jae-rim) will visit the theater in August.

Screenshot_2022-06-07_at_4.51.39_PM.png

Screenshot_2022-06-07_at_4.51.49_PM.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-06-07_at_4.52.03_PM.png

On the 7th, the movie 'Declaration of Emergency' confirmed its release in August 2022 and released two launching posters containing a strong story in an unprecedented aviation terrorism. The audience's expectations are gathering for the well-made aviation disaster movie, which will finally be unveiled this summer.

'Emergency Declaration' is a reality aviation disaster movie that takes place over an airplane that has declared an unconditional landing as an unprecedented aviation terrorism. “Contemplation”(2013) and “The King”(2017), director Han Jae-rim's comeback to the screen, was officially invited to the non-competition section of the 74th Cannes Film Festival.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-06-07_at_4.52.17_PM.png

The movie 'Emergency Declaration' is expected to meet Song Kang-ho and Jeon Do-yeon, who won the Best Actor Award and Best Actress Award respectively at the Cannes Film Festival for the first time in Korea in one work. Kang-ho Song won the Best Actor Award at this year's Cannes Film Festival for 'The Broker', directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda, the first Korean film directed by director. In addition, Lee Byung-hun, Kim Nam-gil, Im Si-wan, and actors Kim So-jin and Park Hae-joon, who caught the attention of audiences around the world by stepping on the red carpet in Cannes early on, predicted a fierce battle for blockbuster actors.

The two released 'Emergency Declaration' launch posters contain people on the ground who want to prevent aviation disasters and people in the sky who are trapped in aviation disasters. Those who are fighting to prevent aviation disasters on the ground are veteran detective team leader In-ho (Song Kang-ho), Land Minister Sook-hee (Jeon Do-yeon), and Blue House Crisis Management Center chief Tae-su (Park Hae-joon). The expressions of those who spend every second and minute of blood drying out watching an aircraft in a disaster situation convey the urgent situation in the movie.

A desperate and precarious situation is felt in the poster of those who are trapped in a disaster situation in the sky. Jae-hyeok (Lee Byung-hun), who boarded the plane with his child, Hyeon-su (Kim Nam-gil), the first officer, and Hee-jin (Kim So-jin), the general manager, who went out to ensure the safety of the passengers, and Jin-seok (Im Si-wan), a passenger watching the chaotic situation His vivid expression adds to the fear and tension at the height of 28,000 feet.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-06-07_at_4.52.28_PM.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-06-07_at_4.52.37_PM.png

Screenshot_2022-06-07_at_4.52.45_PM.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-06-07_at_4.52.55_PM.png

'Emergency Declaration' is a blockbuster movie where you can enjoy a structured story that crosses the ground and the air and an ensemble of actors who are famous in Korea. You can see it in theaters in August.

Source: https://www.sedaily.com/NewsView/2675J8DI59

• Like 2

[2022-06-20] ‘Emergency Declaration’ Press Conference

Director Han Jae-rim, and cast featuring Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun, Jeon Do-yeon, Kim Nam-gil, Im Si-wan, Kim So-jin, Park Hae-joon

Spoiler

19D0998C-91F5-4612-9EB2-BB73E936DF29.jpg

5B057666-B78C-481A-9135-3074D5CBEA2C.jpg

49FFF90D-B966-47BD-BDC3-2A27BF92F186.jpg

4DD45BCC-8348-49E8-853C-F9A2BFABB45A.jpg

F61240F3-D313-4418-83A5-4863E4AA5F99.jpg

F0F0C1C0-2CBF-4048-B904-3411002DB2FC.jpg

20F3FE04-B0B5-4436-A6A1-B2B40BA678B1.jpg

3A2003B0-DC89-4A1D-9BC0-485006F8FFD8.jpg

5614570D-C374-4289-BB27-A14CF41BF4F6.jpg

2D658FD3-7D1A-4ADD-BBA9-DC4FE76D5DC7.jpg

DC543A0B-DC01-4F39-AB54-4F629666EE35.jpg

0D271770-4B44-402E-8BDD-849DB7C61552.jpg

204FD092-26A4-4DDB-AC97-3F4B5A746637.jpg

59F7D7EB-82FE-4F5F-8AA8-0C9B4A83B832.jpg

777A0C94-64E8-4938-A995-8D581D0699F3.jpg

DB6BC8EE-E2EE-4906-8090-D34834DDD8DF.jpg

12BD8A05-E3F5-4F9D-88BC-59F754ACF0F9.jpg

B10F8E3A-7989-430A-A6FE-FF9225015275.jpg

6F0C5999-9D09-4BDA-98F2-A59E0C10B43E.jpg

3E11CAF6-1341-4F37-820E-447355F8BDF8.jpg

AA1F015C-5A18-4CA8-A20F-9939FEA916DF.jpg

45509BEE-2BFD-4A2E-A8BA-1CE14547947B.jpg

E5EC3C24-C167-40AF-B7F9-E362ADFC4781.jpg

CB122E61-B0DF-4C42-AB1F-D57EE1DA3E53.jpg

331BBD66-B3BE-403B-A8C0-F0DBC3745F16.jpg

9BFCDCBA-F70C-4C2A-8A40-A745CD4EE639.jpg

50C81BEA-DC10-4A45-914B-CA022B2A5C47.jpg

Spoiler

3B687CE7-D8A1-4CBB-9F85-BFF9CE3E42B9.jpg

5EF45567-C522-49EA-AAA1-ED2718A0DFA2.jpg

BAC90EA7-3015-429A-9504-7ED6CAC3465A.jpg

E82318C7-E5E9-4DB1-98BF-9C82D82188B2.jpg

4C93A6FA-DCF1-4A16-8286-F930C79BFD06.jpg

4A6FD368-C252-4296-96A7-E83135994BED.jpg

B07CBF3D-665A-4163-BC0B-647FD7B4F166.jpg

B70A1894-3341-4B39-BE14-7D1BDC4740DF.jpg

D98415B2-3FBB-4C63-8943-FD730917512C.jpg

23D44C31-0BEE-44A8-9804-AA26589AB0A1.jpg

029C3400-D251-434C-A696-71CCB35AAAEC.jpg

69D8F5B7-502E-4C64-99EF-F65198B0F96B.jpg

0C0CD1C4-05AB-4693-B12F-95FC2A3FB3B9.jpg

B889AC61-4AD8-440C-B9F4-F30A2CE35D50.jpg

C4593047-DFCF-4112-A98E-DBB48A855194.jpg

A5A54F4D-B4CB-4DB0-9544-0F284FD09A38.jpg

7527704D-D816-485F-8261-272A9B074B93.jpg

EEC537C5-31A5-4CD8-8A5F-B2CDDCEFA20D.jpg

56B77DEA-4B8E-4EFC-9C6F-2AD5DFE0DE7B.jpg

Photos: OSEN 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20220620005451315
'Emergency Declaration' is about people fighting off disaster while stranded on a plane

By Shim Sun-ah (sshim@yna.co.kr) | June 20, 2022

SEOUL, June 20 (Yonhap) -- Imagine being stuck on an ill-fated flight where a mysterious deadly virus is spreading.  "Emergency Declaration," a forthcoming Korean film starring iconic actors Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun and Jeon Do-yeon, depicts such a frightening scenario, as the country's first aviation-disaster genre film.  The story takes place on a flight, from Seoul to Honolulu, where the captain declares an emergency landing after a terrorist plants a deadly virus and the first victim is dead within hours.

During a press conference in Seoul Monday to promote the film set to open in local theaters in August, writer-director Han Jae-rim said that he intended it to be a thought-provoking movie about people fighting a disaster on top of its attraction as a disaster genre flick.

6B5A15A7-2503-4B77-AE77-8F680BFF4FE2.jpg
Director Han Jae-rim of "Emergency Declaration," a Korean disaster flick set to open in August, speaks during a press conference to promote the film project at a Seoul hotel on June 20, 2022. (Yonhap)

"I received an offer about 10 years ago. I found the setting and plan for the film project were fairly good at that time but didn't know how to do it," said the director best known for "The Face Reader" (2013) and "The King" (2017). "And then, unfortunately, there were many big and small disasters in Korean society over the past 10 years. As I brokenheartedly watched them, a certain idea came up to my mind and then I thought I should do this project."  He stressed he made efforts to shed light on how people fight the disaster and their emotions from overcoming it or suffering a defeat. He hoped audiences would not simply consume his movie as entertainment.

The film garnered wide attention from Korean movie fans from the initial stage of production for its star-studded cast.  Among the cast members are two Cannes-winning actors Song Kang-ho, Jeon Do-yeon; Lee Byung-hun, a top actor who was an award presenter at last year's Cannes Film Festival; as well as Kim Nam-gil, Im Si-wan, Kim So-jin and Park Hae-joon. 

40A2C4EA-35DA-4656-A74F-DDA06BAC24A2.jpg
The main cast of "Emergency Declaration," a Korean disaster flick set to open in August, pose for the camera during a press conference to promote the film project at a Seoul hotel on June 20, 2022. (Yonhap)

When asked how it was possible to have so many A-listers in the same film, the director said even he could not believe it at first.  "Actually, the actors here are symbolic figures of the Korean film industry as well as globally and others are also popular enough to take lead roles in other big-budget films. Any director would like to cast all of them," he said. "So, I couldn't believe that those people are in my film and kept feeling confusion while shooting it. I was confused whether I was shooting one film or seven different films at a time. I felt honored and appreciated it."

Han said, looking at the scenes after the shoot, he was impressed by the actors' outstanding performances. "There are a lot of passengers on the plane who are not here, but if you watch the movie, their acting will also be memorable," he added.

Song Kang-ho, who was named best actor for his performance in "Broker" at this year's Cannes, plays In-ho, a veteran police detective who is on board to track down a terror suspect after being tipped off about his plan to attack the Hawaii-bound plane. Jeon Do-yeon, who won best actress for her performance in director Lee Chang-dong's "Secret Sunshine" at 2007 Cannes, plays Suk-hee, minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport who struggles to find out the best way to protect Korean citizens from the terrorist attack.

Park Hae-joon's character is Tae-soo who has to make "a cool-headed decision" to save the nation as the chief of a crisis management center at the presidential office.

Lee Byung-hun plays the role of Jae-hyuk, a father with aviophobia who is on board to go get treatment for his sick daughter. Im Si-wan plays Jin-seok, a mysterious young man who boards the ill-fated plane while wandering around Incheon International Airport without a destination.

Kim Nam-gil and Kim So-jin play deputy pilot Hyeon-soo and chief flight attendant Hee-jin, respectively.

"Apart from the genre elements, it sophisticatedly and maturely expressed thoughts about family, neighbors and the community, which we usually don't think deeply about in our everyday lives. I was glad to be in such a film for this reason," Song said.

Lee said he was attracted by the script not just because it was tense and interesting as a disaster genre flick but also due to it being thought-provoking.

Jeon said she was fond of the script, too, but what she liked the most about the movie was the director's good intention to make it.  "I hope this movie can console people who are hurt while undergoing big and small disasters," she added.

The film is set to open in local theaters in August. It was selected for the Out of Competition section of the 74th Cannes Film Festival in 2021. (END)

• Like 3

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2022/06/398_331333.html
'Emergency Declaration' cast aims to fly high at summer box office

By Kwak Yeon-soo | 2022-06-20 

34DB0208-95B1-4E7F-9866-6EC3D6AF3B21.jpg
From left, actors Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun, Jeon Do-yeon, Kim Nam-gil and Im Si-wan attend a press conference for the film, "Emergency Declaration," at Westin Chosun Seoul hotel in central Seoul, Monday. Yonhap

"Emergency Declaration," which premiered out of competition at the 2021 Cannes Film Festival, is finally set to land in theaters in August and the cast promised the film will not disappoint. 

The disaster film stars Lee Byung-hun as a man trapped in an airplane with his daughter while a terrorist threatens to release a deadly virus. As tensions rise onboard the plane, the government launches an operation to protect the passengers. 

Song Kang-ho, who won the Best Actor award at this year's Cannes for "Broker," plays a detective who tries to stop the attack, while Jeon Do-yeon stars as the transport minister who discovers what the virus is and fears what might happen when the plane lands.

Director Han Jae-rim explained that he came up with the concept of a terrorist threat against a plane 10 years ago. 

"There was a production company that proposed this project to me about 10 years ago, but I didn't know how to implement my ideas. So I went on another project, but couldn't forget about this project because I have aerophobia. After witnessing small and big tragedies in society, I finally had something to talk about with the film," he said during a press conference for the film at Westin Chosun Seoul hotel in central Seoul, Monday. 

Although the film includes impressive visual effects, suspense, action spectacles and thrills, Han gives a realistic depiction of how every human on the plane reacts differently when put in danger, confronting the virus and the terrorist attack.

"When I read the script, it was interesting because it was so realistic. I thought that you could be completely immersed in the movie and that would be the biggest strength of the project," Lee said. 

The director shot the film almost like a documentary, preferring handheld cameras that get close to the action and the performances.  "The airplane was made in Hollywood, but other visual aspects like its interior design was done in Korea. We had a circular gimbal that allowed us to have a real set that could rotate 360 degrees. The cinematographer literally tied himself to a pillar to shoot the film. My biggest concern was about the safety of the cast and crew," he said. 

When asked about scenes that may seem overly emotional, which are referred to as "sinpa" in Korean, as the film's core message is about humans coming together in the darkest times, Song said the picture will naturally draw audiences into the feelings of the characters.

"It's definitely 'sinpa' if a film forces audiences to feel sad. But if they are moved by a certain scene or a character's line, that would be sympathy," director Han said.

Jeon said she is confident that "Emergency Declaration" will draw more than 10 million moviegoers as it boasts a star-studded cast and a gripping plot. 

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2022/06/20/entertainment/movies/Korea-Movie-Emergency-Declaration/20220620164416436.html
Delayed 'Emergency Declaration' promises plenty of disaster

BY LEE JIAN [lee.jian@joongang.co.kr] | June 20, 2022

D944E545-C321-42AE-8E29-D08894FB5209.jpg
From left, actors Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun, Jeon Do-yeon, Kim Nam-gil,Yim Si-wan, Kim So-jin and Park Hae-jun pose for phots during the press conference for the upcoming air disaster film "Emergency Declaration" at the Westin Josun Seoul at Jongno District, central Seoul, on Monday. [YONHAP]

After premiering at the Cannes Film Festival a full 11 months ago, the disaster movie “Emergency Declaration” will finally open in August.  Starring Song Kang-ho, Jeon Do-yeon and Lee Byung-hun, the thriller tells of an aviation disaster that occurs in the middle of a flight from Seoul to Honolulu. The captain is forced to declare an emergency landing. 

Han Jae-rim of “The Face Reader” (2013) and “The King” (2017) directed the film, while Cannes’ Best Actor and Best Actress awardees Song and Jeon portray a veteran police detective. Jeon was named Best Actress for her performance in director Lee Chang-dong’s "Secret Sunshine" at Cannes in 2007, a film in which Song also co-starred.  

Lee, who has starred in many prominent works such as the G.I Joe series and tvN dramas "Mr. Sunshine" (2018) and "Our Blues" (2022), portrays a father on the plane who has a fear of flying.

For a disaster movie, the production had a full share of its own disasters. “Since filming the movie [in 2020], there have been big and small crises in the world,” said director Han at a press conference at the Westin Josun Seoul in Jongno District, central Seoul, on Monday.  “When Covid-19 broke out, ‘Emergency Declaration’ was in the middle of filming and we saw things we were imagining for our movie unfolding in real life. Now the world is recovering from the pandemic and I think that was mainly due to solidarity. ‘Emergency Declaration’ aims to portray this. It is a suspenseful film with entertaining factors, but it also offers a retrospective look at what we have gone through over the last three years and how we are overcoming it.”

Spoiler

FFF68304-5D98-4950-A0BD-AF0BD0C17E54.jpg

Actor Song Kang-ho speaks during the press conference for the upcoming air disaster film "Emergency Declaration" at Westin Josun Seoul at Jongno District, central Seoul, on Monday. [YONHAP]

“Disaster movies are a common film genre around the world, but what makes this movie a standout is how it expresses the sense of solidarity amid a crisis in a very sophisticated and mature manner,” Song said at the press conference. “And this was recognized by people who saw the premiere in Cannes. They told me that the way team spirit was drawn in this film was incredibly insightful.”

EA77E14B-07EC-4420-AD85-E52CFA3B42AA.jpg

From left, Song Kang-ho and Lee Byung-hun speak about their experience at the 74th Cannes Film Festival during the press conference for the upcoming air disaster film "Emergency Declaration" at Westin Josun Seoul at Jongno District, central Seoul, on Monday. [YONHAP]

“Emergency Declaration” was invited to the 74th Cannes Film Festival in 2021 in the non-competing section of the event. A release in local theaters was postponed due to the pandemic.   Song, Jeon, Han and actor Yim Si-wan attended the Cannes Film Festival last year in person.  It was Yim's first time at Cannes and he described his experience as “electric”.  “Nobody in the theater knew who I was so they were applauding after the movie just because they liked the acting, not for who I was," he said at the press conference. "That was very satisfying and something I had never felt before.”  Yim’s role in the film has not yet been specified as his character is part of some major plot twists.  As the youngest member of the cast and coming from K-pop, Yim said he was grateful for the opportunity to work with such influential figures in Korean cinema.  “I couldn’t believe that I was filming this movie until I finished shooting my first scene.” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

June 24, 2022

“Emergency Declaration " The best Actor of the Cannes Film Festival,  Song Kang Ho has called for 20 million viewers at the box office!  Jeon Do-yeon and Lee Byung Hun's witty words made the audience laugh. (A translation) 

Movies Monday 20 June 2022 14:17 Erin 1

Screenshot_2022-06-23_at_8.27.29_AM.png

The film “Emergency Declaration ", which was invited to the 74th Cannes Film Festival, will finally meet with Korean audiences in August after two delays in its release.  The Taiwan schedule will also be announced later. The cast is strong, including Cannes Film Festival best actor and best actress Song Kang Ho and Jeon Do-Yeon, as well as Lee Byung Hun, Kim Nam Gil, Im Si Wan, Kim So Jin, and Park Hae Joon. All of them attended the press conference today, and director Han Jae Rim also participated.

Screenshot_2022-06-23_at_8.27.41_AM.png

“Emergency Declaration", is a realistic film about an aerial disaster, presenting the first time in history that an unconditional landing has been declared due to an aerial terrorist. Invited to the non-competition section of the 74th Cannes Film Festival, director Han Jae Rim returned to the big screen after “The Face Reader “ (2013) and “The King “ (2017).  The participation of an outstanding cast made  “Emergency Declaration", a movie that that is very much anticipated by the audience.

Screenshot_2022-06-23_at_8.27.51_AM.png

Song Kang Ho, who just won the Best Actor at the 75th Cannes Film Festival for “Broker” said it has been more than 2 years since shooting of “Emergency Declaration" started, and there had been a lot of twists and turns, plus there were two more delays in the middle.  The film can finally be introduced to the audience.  He also humbly said that he felt honored to meet with his respected colleagues and junior actors and actresses.  Lee Byung Hun also said that when he heard the news of the upcoming release in August, he kept thinking, "Is it true this time?"  Today, seeing everyone gathered together, finally got the feeling that it is going to be released. Jeon Do Yeon also said that she was very happy to hear the news of the release, just like a dream.

When the casting for “Emergency Declaration" started, there was a lot of discussion and the audience said, "Is it possible to have such a cast? The perfect casting became the highlight of the film. The director, Han Jae Rim, said that all the actors, especially Song Kang Ho, Lee Byung Hun and Jeon Do Yeon, are already influential and iconic actors in the global film industry, and Kim Nam Gil, Im Si Wan, Kim So Jin and Park Hae Joon are also actors who have played the leading roles in various famous and popular works.  I believe that such a cast is the dream of many filmmakers, even he himself cannot believe that these actors and actresses can be together to shoot his work, and also praised for the excellent performance of all of them.

As for the opportunity to produce this film, the director said that he received the commission for this work more than 10 years ago. At that time, although he thought the setting or planning of this work was great, he still did not have a concept of how the story should unfold, so he could not shape it. The director believes that the severe phobia of flying, being trapped in a plane, and the fear of disaster will remain in his mind. He felt that he had to make this film to express something through his work, as there have been major and minor disasters in Korean society over the past ten years.

The reason why Jeon Do Yeon performed in “Emergency Declaration" was not only that she thought the script is great, but also that she agreed with the director's intention and hoped to bring some comfort to people who have been through disasters of all sizes. When asked about her expectation for the box office, Jeon Do Yeon said bluntly, Of course this will be a film that will break 10 million, isn't it?” She  also said that she was convinced so she decided to perform. Song Kang Ho then said that he thought this film would be very popular with everyone, and was immediately asked by Jeon Do Yeon, "So how much is the box office?" Song Kanghao immediately pushed Lee Byung Hun to answer... He did not expect Lee Byung Hun to immediately break the news, "Brother Kang Ho told me just now that this work should be 20 million, right?" Jeon Do Yeon immediately echoed, "I heard it too!" Song Kang Ho hurriedly denied it.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-06-23_at_8.28.05_AM.png

Screenshot_2022-06-23_at_8.28.16_AM.png

Screenshot_2022-06-24_at_11.27.14_AM.png

https://www.koreastardaily.com/tc/news/141921

Photo Credit:  TV Daily

• Like 1