rw00MCauVduF637216031046495373.jpg

bGmxAyZXBVHu637216032117319384.jpg

Spoiler

vbPxXyxaQD4Q637216031137440878.jpg

PVteb8S8RXaa637216031226190880.jpg

JNSGYXYhBsyF637216031935288128.jpg

d8KZX9yGShgX637216032027006880.jpg

ZxIxfSyMUMir637216032204506881.jpg

Watch: Lee Min Ho + Kim Go Eun Meet In A Parallel Universe In Exciting New Teaser For “The King: Eternal Monarch”

SBS’s upcoming drama “The King: Eternal Monarch” has released an action-packed new teaser for its first episode!

Penned by the famous writer Kim Eun Sook, “The King: Eternal Monarch” is a fantasy drama about two parallel universes. One universe is a democracy that resembles modern-day Korea as we know it, while the other is an alternate universe in which Korea is an empire ruled by a single monarch. In order to fight evil and close the door between their two worlds, the ruler of the Korean Empire—Emperor Lee Gon (played by Lee Min Ho)—ends up joining forces with Jung Tae Eul, a detective who resides in the present-day Republic of Korea (played by Kim Go Eun).

The new teaser for the highly-anticipated drama begins with a visual comparison of the two parallel worlds. As Lee Gon stands at the edge of a bamboo forest in the Korean Empire, a dramatic voice-over reveals, “God let evil loose in the human world, and that evil opened the door to a parallel world.

Chaos erupts in the Korean Empire due to an unexpected gunshot, and someone opens a book to find Jung Tae Eul’s police ID card from the Republic of Korea. Meanwhile, Jung Tae Eul muses in voice-over, “Let’s say there’s another world. And in that world, there’s someone who looks exactly like you. What do you think it would feel like to meet that person?”

The clip then introduces viewers to chief imperial bodyguard Jo Young and his doppelganger Jo Eun Seob, who have entirely different auras despite both being played by Woo Do Hwan. Kang Shin Jae (played by Kim Kyung Nam), a detective who works alongside Jung Tae Eul, is covered in blood as he asks himself, “Who am I?”

Back in the Korean Empire, Prime Minister Goo Seo Ryung (played by Jung Eun Chae) looks fierce as she whispers into someone’s ear, and Lee Gon’s uncle Lee Rim (played by Lee Jung Jin) tells his doppelganger, “I’m you. I’m you from another world.”

In the final seconds of the teaser, Lee Gon rides his horse into the parallel universe of the Republic of Korea. There, he crosses paths with Jung Tae Eul, whom he seems to recognize from his own world. As he walks determinedly towards her with an intent gaze, he says in voice-over, “Finally, I meet you.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1392328wpp/watch-lee-min-ho-kim-go-eun-meet-in-a-parallel-universe-in-exciting-new-teaser-for-the-king-eternal-monarch

Edited by syntyche
  • Like 7

I see some people criticising him signing big budget drama instead of some artsy show.

What do you expect? He is A list star and will he refuse kim eun sook and sbs and such offer to praise a niche of critics? He took the best thing offered to him. He is working hard for 15 years and has earned this position

Second i am reading drama is already making waves throughout asia. Looks like another pan asia blockbuster for the king. Happy for kim go eun too, as this drama will increase her hallyu profile.

• Like 7

The new teaser for the drama begins with a visual comparison of the two parallel worlds. In the modern-day Korea as we know it, the statue of Admiral Yi Sun-shin is at the intersection of Gwanghwamun, while in the Empire of Korea, the statue of Admiral Yi Sun-shin is overlooking the Gwangan Bridge, which shows the stark difference between the two parallel worlds.

BalQftt.gif

L7pxsiq.gif

Next, a bamboo flute is shown inside a palace, surrounded by huge stone pillars, as King Lee Gon narrates, “God let evil loose in the human world, and that evil opened the door to a parallel world."

(Fans say that flute, which was shown in a previous teaser getting split into two, is the key to the parallel world.) 

1IbdLqQ.gif

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Deepakmahajan said:

I see some people criticising him signing big budget drama instead of some artsy show.

What do you expect? He is A list star and will he refuse kim eun sook and sbs and such offer to praise a niche of critics? He took the best thing offered to him. He is working hard for 15 years and has earned this position

Second i am reading drama is already making waves throughout asia. Looks like another pan asia blockbuster for the king. Happy for kim go eun too, as this drama will increase her hallyu profile.

Some artsy show? What is that? Mind to explain? 

King Lee Gon, who was in the bamboo forest, flashed and showed a mysterious energy.

02lAg9U.gif

The dignified Lee Gon with the Korean Empire whip and Gonryongpo (robe worn by kings).

eS6CCZC.gif

Chaos erupts in the Korean Empire due to an unexpected gunshot. 

89KlzGu.gif

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Deepakmahajan said:

Really? I had no idea some people have that prejudice against LMH. At the end of the day it's the content that matters regardless of the budget of the project. As long as the drama has a good story, good acting & good execution, nothing else matters to viewers

I'm not saying LMH is the best actor there is or that he does the best projects, but the lad has his own creative independence so let him do whatever he wants. I kinda feel bad for him & those extremely popular actors in general considering the baggage they carry with their stardom. Sometimes it's a bit too much *sigh* 

• Like 6

A book opens showing Jung Tae Eul’s police ID card from the Republic of Korea. Meanwhile, Jung Tae Eul muses in voice-over, “Let’s say there’s another world. And in that world, there’s someone who looks exactly like you. What do you think it would feel like to meet that person?”

b2ERMcj.gif

Chief Imperial bodyguard Jo Young and his doppelganger Jo Eun Seob, who have entirely different auras despite both being played by Woo Do Hwan.

1FfKv4k.gif

Kang Shin Jae (played by Kim Kyung Nam), a detective who works alongside Jung Tae Eul, is covered in blood as he asks himself, “Who am I?”

HSfHupI.gif

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Deepakmahajan said:

Excuse them. It is an honor to work with writer KES. And vice versa. Why do they think she chose him? Of course because it is an honor to work with him too (same for KGE). I personally would rather see my favorite actors hold off on a project until something great comes around versus signing onto just any. Quality over quantity. If I was an actor in the Korean industry, I would want to be part of this show. Who wouldn’t? They’re just criticizing because they’re going to find something to dislike anyway. And these are the same people that will dislike the drama even if they really think it’s good. 

• Like 10

On 3/27/2020 at 12:57 AM, scrawford said:

Ow that I think about it, I don’t I know how to check coming soon show on Netflix. I live in the US, anybody knows for sure if it will air in the US?

I checked today and at last Netflix has the drama listed as coming soon April 17 in the USA. I can't wait here I am on lock down and at last something I can't wait to see. Trailers are up and I have my snacks all ready to watch this one.

• Like 8

Back in the Korean Empire, Prime Minister Goo Seo Ryung (played by Jung Eun Chae) looks fierce as she whispers into Lee Gon’s ear

W9qJNXI.gif

Lee Gon’s uncle Lee Rim (played by Lee Jung Jin) tells his doppelganger, “I’m you. I’m you from another world.”

seFAnMx.gif

Jung Tae-eul walking in the bamboo forest

sDK6B6S.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone. I am new here. Looking forward for this drama. I miss watching Lee Min Ho acting.. since his last drama was LOTBS.This drama preview from SBS also look very tempting for me. Lee Min Ho look handsome in the black Outfit >_<

• Like 7
  • Love 1

D-12 :)

Lee Gon rides his horse into the parallel universe of the Republic of Korea.

Quo5bqq.gif

Lee Gon crosses paths with Jung Tae Eul, whom he seems to recognize from his own world. As he walks determinedly towards her with an intent gaze, he says in voice-over, “Finally, I meet you.”

22rxgzE.gif

gM8dk9V.gif

https://www.soompi.com/article/1392328wpp/watch-lee-min-ho-kim-go-eun-meet-in-a-parallel-universe-in-exciting-new-teaser-for-the-king-eternal-monarch

Hello @Joséphine.arjenia, @Killa92, @tovsleeptov, welcome to the thread!

• Like 11

2020040508590171977_1.jpg

From Kim Young-ok to Kim Yong-ji...'The King' luxury supporting line-up to boost class

SBS' new Friday-to-Saturday drama "The King-Eternal Monarch" raises the quality of its work with a group of high-end supporting actors. 

Kim Young-ok, Jeon Moo-song, Park Won-sang, Jeon Bae-soo and Kim Yong-ji will make a surprise appearance as the "five members of the parallel world" that will support the Korean Empire and the Republic of Korea, giving off a unique presence with their deep inner and tasteful performances and fresh pace.

First of all, Kim Young-ok, who has been active with consistent energy for 62 years in her acting career, plays Noh Ok-nam, the "Five Genre Manufacturer" who joined the palace at the age of 17 and spent her entire life in the palace. Lee Gon (Lee Min-ho) was educated and raised by her with all her heart, showing close chemistry with the emperor. The director-song, dubbed the "Korean theater legend" in his 56th year since his debut, will present a deep performance in the role of Jongchin and Lee Jong-in of Boo Young-gun, the second highest ranking royal family in the Korean Empire. Lee Gon's party residence and a man willing to shadow Lee Gon with his clean and upright character. Attention is focusing on whether Lee Jong-in will be able to keep his faith on Lee's side until the end.

Park Won-sang, who has shown a wide spectrum of acting through various works such as "The Game: Towards 0" and "Welcome 2 Life," will play Park Moon-sik, the team's powerful three-team leader. He will exert influence as the "true boss" of Jung Tae-eul (Kim Go-eun) and Kang Shin-jae (Kim Kyung-nam) of the same team. Jeon Bae-soo, who rose as a "mak-gangshing-stealer" through "Welcome" and "When the Camellia Blooms," transforms to Jung Tae-eul's father Jung Do-in, the oldest person in the neighborhood, but least popular, running a taekwondo gym. He lost his wife 25 years ago and raised his daughter Jung Tae-eul alone.

Lastly, Kim Yong-ji, who clearly stamped her eyes through "Mr. Sunshine," is drawing attention by appearing in Kim Eun-sook's work once again. Kim Yong-ji will inject fresh energy into the play as Myung Seung-ah, who is in charge of working for the "Hwangsil Public Affairs Office" in the drama, and in charge of running the royal SNS and official website.

"The five indispensable helpers in the Republic of Korea and the Republic of Korea will be the trigger for conflict, empathy for reality, and change the atmosphere," said the production company, "We ask for your great interest in The King-Eternal Monarch" who will meet the viewers with a story full of excitement and fun.

SBS' "The King-Eternal Monarch" will premiere on April 17 (Friday) at 10 p.m., following "Hyena."

http://sbsfune.sbs.co.kr/news/news_content.jsp?article_id=E10009870889

Sharing this LMH interview on "The King"

Lee Min Ho Interview

DAZED Korea January Issue

cr: minyu_0622 (on Twitter, Google translated from Japanese to English)

Q: Last April, everyone was waiting for news of discharge, and the online was filled with relevant news.
 A: Eight months have already passed.  Immediately after the discharge, I spent three or four months deciding and preparing for the next film, and also performed advertising and pictorial photography many times.

Q: The next work of 2020, 'The King,'  is scheduled to air. You worked with Kim Eun-suk in Heirs. Why did you decide to appear?

A: There were a lot of other offers, too. After reading the scripts, there was no work that felt “very interesting". But with “The King,” I thought “this was it” as soon as I read it. The material was also fresh. Synopsis had a line like this: "If the same person exists in the parallel world, will you change your life with that person?" I was very attracted. Interestingly, I thought it was a wonderful work that could convey a “message” to the viewer.

Q: I heard that you studied to understand not only the characters in the works that appear, but also the culture and history associated with them, but what about <The King>?

A: The King is about a parallel world. In one world there is the Korean Empire, and in the parallel world there is the Republic of Korea. The Korean Empire is a real country, isn't it one of our sad history that disappeared in about 13 years? I was really worried. "What would have happened if the Korean Empire had existed for a long time, and what would have happened if the constitutional monarchy had continued as in that era?" Before I start shooting, I'm always worried about how to represent the characters I play in my work and how to make the characters more alive.

Q: What kind of talk did you have with Kim Eun-suk?

A: I was told, “Try what you want to do” (laughs). That's what I trust in me, and I wanted to do it freely.

Q: “Lee Gon” is a character of “The King” which is like a fantasy element. How do you want to play him, the emperor who travels between the two worlds against the devil?

A: Lee Gon is a person with wounds and trauma because of the environment in which he grew up. Still, he grew up healthy and became a nice man. Rather than highlighting only a specific part of Lee Gon, I wanted to express it in three dimensions from various angles. As an emperor leading one country, he is a fast-moving person.  He is frank, honest and tolerant of his emotions. And he's humorous and human. Sometimes he's cold.

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 1

10 hours ago, lindas55 said:

I checked today and at last Netflix has the drama listed as coming soon April 17 in the USA. I can't wait here I am on lock down and at last something I can't wait to see. Trailers are up and I have my snacks all ready to watch this one.

@lindas55 You mean you won't eat your snacks until April 17?  lol.  I have to keep going to the market because I keep eating all my snacks!:w00t:

I think whatever your role in a KES drama, it's a win.  I'm sure the 2nd leads and others will benefit from being in this drama.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

D-11 :)

202004060806694827_1.jpg?20200406081041

Actor Hwang Young-hee joins SBS' new Friday-Saturday drama "The King-Eternal Monarch" 

In the drama, Hwang will play Min Hwa-yeon, the mother of Kang Shin-jae (Kim Kyung-nam), who is addicted to gambling. Based on the natural acting, Hwang Young-hee, who depicts perfectly with her own color, not only for the wicked woman, but also for the high-ranking wife, reluctance, and sad motherhood, gathers expectations about what her motherless lifeless mother will look like.

Meanwhile, "The King-Eternal Monarch," which has made a lot of headlines with its first-half work, will premiere on April 17 following "Hyena."

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/new_yk/html/read.php?newsid=202004060806694827&ext=na

• Like 9

Anyeong!!!!!!!!

First time to post here.The thread is getting silent.

been a lurker since day 1

Very excited for my Sunshine Kim Go Eun for her third drama. She's really a great movie actress.I hope everyone who doesn't know her will give her a chance.She's natural beauty and very charming. 

And of course, it's Lee Min Ho's grand comeback.

Thanks for  the update, 

can't wait to April 17 to come

(Sorry for my grammar,I'm not a native english )

Edited by banje94
  • Like 8