[Drama 2019] Spring Night, 봄밤

0ly40

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the above replies/explanations. I've watched 2 other K-dramas one I loved (my first first love) and one I could not get into (boys over flowers).  At first, I thought this drama was really slow. But, I've grown to really love how long the camera lingers on each character so you actually feel like you are there experiencing the emotions they are experiencing which feel much deeper than the other two shows I've watched. I also feel like the lead female character is really strong/compelling in this show like in my first, first love and it is nice to see supportive mothers. 

2 hours ago, bccem99 said:

I've watched 2 other K-dramas one I loved (my first first love) and one I could not get into (boys over flowers). 

I haven't seen My First First Love yet but it sounds good.  And I am so glad to hear that someone else could not get into Boys Over Flowers because I have never understood the popularity of that show and I never ever will understand.  I tried watching the Japanese version when it first aired years ago and it made me so angry!  It still makes me angry, so I've never attempted the Korean version.  In fact the basis for that show is one of the issues that I have with some KDramas:  the very rich being unbelievably horrid to those who have less than they do.

There are some really excellent KDramas to watch (despite the occasional rich and powerful Chaebol nonsense).  One Spring Night is one of the best dramas I've ever seen.  Yes, it is a bit slow but it's also really powerful and the writer never lets us down (even though I wanted to see so much more of the Jae/Jae couple than we got).

Other dramas I'd recommend?  Here's what leaps to mind:  My very best picks might be a little stressful in comparison to OSN but for true love they are impossible to beat:  Come Here and Hug Me and Just Between Lovers.  Both of them broke my heart and then put it back together again better than new.  Thirty But Seventeen is also really excellent. If you like action, Healer is absolutely the best.  And nearly anything starring Lee Jong Suk is gonna be really, really good:  I Can Hear Your Voice, While You Were Sleeping, W Two Worlds

There are also dramas that I'd avoid but it's probably more fun to find that out for yourself.  :D

2 hours ago, bccem99 said:

I also feel like the lead female character is really strong/compelling in this show like in my first, first love and it is nice to see supportive mothers. 

If you like strong females, you will probably enjoy Search:  WWW.  It just finished airing this week.  Good show--I won't call it great because I had some serious issues with the way one of the three couples was written but I'd still recommend the drama as a really fun watch.  The music and cinematography are very good indeed.  But the only mom on the show is a deeply evil old wench, so be prepared!  :P  No nice mommies there.

.....Well, I've gone all Off Topic.  Sorry about that.  

Hope you will enjoy OSN all the way through to the end!  

Article from meaww

Korean drama 'One Spring Night' is perhaps the most realistic romantic series you will ever watch on Netflix

Characters on 'One Spring Night' are written differently and are dealt with in an organic way – they are grounded and in touch with its emotions, something that is rare to find in romantic dramas these days.

By Pooja Salvi 
Updated On : 03:14 PST, Jul 9, 2019 

Read more in link

Revisiting the media interview before Spring Night screened:

Jung Hae In, Han Ji Min open up about new drama

All attention has been paid to see what achievement the drama "One Spring Night" will get with the change in broadcast situations.

page11.jpg?type=e1920

On the afternoon of May 20, the press conference launching the new Wed-Thu drama ''One Spring Night'' (Scriptwriter: Kim Eun, Director: Ahn Pan Suk) was held at the Ramada Hotel, Shindorim Ward, Guro District, Seoul. Director Ahn Pan Suk and lead actors Han Jimin and Jung Haein attended the event and talked about the work.

"One Spring Night" is a romantic drama that depicts a couple's journey of finding love in the spring days. This is the work mark the reunion of director Ahn Pan Suk and the scriptwriter Kim Eun of the prevalent drama "Something in the Rain" (JTBC) which ended in 2018. In addition, actor Jung Hae In who starred in the drama will also work with Han Ji Min - the actress who plays the same character with veteran actor Kim Hye Ja in "The Light In Your Eyes" (JTBC) - to portray the male and female lead Yoo Ji Ho and Lee Jung In in this drama.

0004012781_001_20190520154409002.jpg?typ

In particular, this is the drama that director Ahn Pan Suk delivers through MBC channel after 12 years since "Behind The White Tower" in 2007. Starting with the saying, "I am deeply moved", he said, " Although I have been working at MBC for nearly 16 years since I officially joined the company in 1987, I still feel choked as I have the chance to come back again."

Then, he talked about the difference between the new work and the previous drama, ''I never think about having to make a 'difference'. Because it's not easy to make up a story and create a drama. That's why I cannot just think of making a work that looks different from what I have done. I only focus on conveying the story that I have.''

In addition, he talked about the reason for continuing to make a romantic drama, "Actually, author Kim Eun was the first to come up with this idea, not me. Every time I start to conduct the next work, I don't have any thoughts like 'This time I have to do thriller genre'. It's not easy to make a reasonable story, so if I see the story that is fine, I will do it anyway."

0004012781_003_20190520154409063.jpg?typ

In addition, director Ahn Pan Suk shared the reason for inviting Han Ji Min and Jung Hae In to participate in the drama, "Do I have a reason? I just looked for the best actors. I wrote their names on a sheet of paper. From number 1 to number 4. I wrote 'Male No. 1', 'Female No. 1', like that. Then I contacted them. If they accepted it, I would be really grateful. Besides, I never thought about the reason why I asked them. Now there are many actors, but from a different perspective, they are very rare. Actually, there are not many actors and actresses who are in their mid-30s and really have a story to convey.

Actor Jung Hae In - who continues to collaborate with director Ahn Pan Suk - shared, "I usually take a long hard look on the characters and storyline when reading the script but for 'One Spring Night', I just have infinite trust in the director. Because of that trust, I was consistent with my choice. In addition, after meeting and talking with the director, my trust was further strengthened. Since I left a strong impression as a younger boyfriend in the previous work, I didn't make any special effort to remove that image in this work. The most important thing seems to be the script and I think I just need to focus on the lines, sentences, and situations in the drama."

0004012781_004_20190520154409092.jpg?typ

Han Ji Min shared, "What makes me quickly accept joining the drama right in the first time receiving the script is that 'One Spring Night' genuinely depicts without much addition the thoughts in marriages that everyone will at least once ponder in their life. Playing Lee Jung In, I see that this character has more straightforward and emotional dialogue lines than the roles I have played so far. If the male lead also has good and affectionate lines, our script will be full of lines that friends or couples usually say in real life. The character Lee Jung In is sometimes pretty selfish and immature, but I believe every person has multiple facets. Though Lee Jung In on the outside, always tries to show that she is fine even a little, when standing in front of love, she can't help but be honest. And that is the anchor for me to play this role well."

Next, Jung Hae In added, "In my opinion, the situation that Lee Jung In and Yoo Ji Ho were put into is similar to the 'gap between coldness and enthusiasm'. It is a difficult situation to take the courage to get closer, and this is the attraction of the drama. When I read the script, I felt that the drama attractively drew a story that was both not too familiar and true about how ordinary boy and girl would fall in love and how their relationship would develop. So as soon as I got the script, I read it from cover to cover without a break. The director also once again made an offer to invite me to participate in so I would like to thank him."

0004012781_005_20190520154409109.jpg?typ

Although ''One Spring Night'' received great expectation thanks to wonderful previous work, it still faces an uneasy situation. First of all, ''One Spring Night'' is the first drama to broadcast at 9 pm after MBC announced to move the broadcast schedule of dramas from 10 pm to 9 pm. Also, the drama will be simultaneously broadcast on online platform Netflix. Besides, it is hard to the drama to steal the spotlight as the previous broadcast drama ''The Banker'' ended with one-digit viewership ratings despite the participation of top-notch lineup including Kim Sang Joong, Yoo Dong Geun, Chae Shi Ra. ''One Spring Night'' also encounters difficulty attracting audiences with the new time slot.

However, regarding this, director Ahn Pan Suk said calmly, "I did the work with gratitude for receiving the contact from MBC. Previously, I had my work aired 10 pm, and on JTBC, I also try the 11 pm airing, but I had absolutely no thoughts about the time frame. If I work hard, it will be no problem no matter it's 10 or 11. This time, I heard that the broadcast time is likely to be 9 o'clock, so I just follow. There's no problem at all." He also chatted, "I never thought about what impact it would have, so I could hardly answer more."

Jung Hae In also shared, "Actually, I have the same thought with the director. It's a lie if I say that I don't feel pressured, but I think the advantage of this is that the viewers can watch the dramas of other broadcasting station and our drama. These days, there are so many platforms that can be viewed in many ways, so the time slot seems to be of little significance. Recently, other than TV, the audience also can watch via the internet or many other ways, so I don't care about it that much."

Han Ji Min also showed her credibility to director Ahn Pan Suk, "Each director has their own colors and styles, so when I first received scripts, I think that the story and the emotions that the script conveys should be different depending on who directs it. To be honest, I really like the works of director Ahn Pan Suk. In particular, I really want to challenge on an orthodox romantic drama, so the fact that director Ahn will direct this drama is a great merit to me."

She continued, "The director's support also helped a lot while I was acting at the filming location. For me, director Ahn's perspective and footage in his mind are quite new and different from previous dramas that I used to take part in. These new points make me quite excited, but because of this, in the first stage, there were more things need to be done. And when the director said "Okay", I still felt a little bit worried. But now I have infinite faith in the director. With the stance of an actress, I can see that my role is to portray in maximum the script at the filming location. If you put all of your devotion into a work like this, like Jung Hae In's saying, we will see the importance of how to make many people feel sympathetic to the story that we want to convey whenever they watch the work."

0004012781_006_20190520154409125.jpg?typ

Therefore, from director Ahn Pan Suk to Jung Hae In and Han Ji Min, they all seem quite calm about issues related to viewership ratios, indicators, and other achievements of the work. On top of that, the fact that terrestrial TV drama is judged to suffer such a crisis that it has to be mentioned about changing the broadcast schedule, director Ahn Pan Suk confirmed, "The terrestrial TV drama is going through a crisis."

However, he emphasized the drama's main role, "I believe that drama is a part of literature. In the middle and high school, we often study literature in literature classes, including poetries, novels, plays or literary reviews. We had been doing so until the 19th century. By the 20th century, there emerged films, and it has also been put into teaching. I think that drama is also in literature. Not only our country but also the US is the same; the advancement of using video cameras to record something has led people to say that the literary era has passed and the video era has come. This statement is considered a proclamation of the era and also sounds very cool, so people also start thinking and acting in that direction. Children who dream to be good directors, good actors go to the cinema instead of reading. But considering the origin of the industry, doing so will not make one an excellent director, actor or scriptwriter."

In this regard, director Ahn Pan Suk made everyone burst into laughter when he said, "I really don't know how the viewership rating of 'One Spring Night' viewers' will be." Then, he expressed, "Of course, it's good if the ratings is high. However, after the filming started, you will only think about the work of that day and forget about the ratings. I only think, 'Hopefully today will pass peacefully.' You will know if you try to do that."

Finally, he shared, "At the moment, the filming is already halfway done. We will try to end it well to be able to hear that we have created a 'true-to-life drama' or 'a thought-provoking drama'. I will strive to make that happen.'' After that, Han Ji Min said, ''I'm acting with various concerns in order to portray Lee Jung In as the director's imagination. Although there are no stimulating factors, I still hope people will sympathize with the love stories that everyone can relate to or the lines that can be uttered from situations faced by the main character. I will work hard and try my best to the end.” Jung Hae In went on, “I will do my best to stay side by side and help create a great drama called 'One Spring Night'. Hopefully, when the drama premieres, audiences will enjoy it comfortably.''

[OSEN = Reporter Yeon Hwi Sun]

Slashfilm recommending One Spring Night

One Spring Night – Netflix

Genre: Romantic drama series

Creator: Kim Eun, Ahn Pan-seok

Cast: Han Ji-min, Jung Hae-in, Kim Jun-han.

To call One Spring Night a K-drama for adults may be a disservice to other K-dramas, but the ponderous, slow-moving romance series is certainly a step away from the cutesy visual language and wacky comedy that define most romantic K-dramas. That’s the signature style of writer Kim Eun and director Ahn Pan-seok, who reunite with their Something in the Rain star Jung Hae-in for a series that prefers realism over melodrama, with a dose of social commentary — where Something in the Rainprodded at strict age hierarchies, One Spring Night shines a light on single parenthood. One Spring Night follows a librarian (Han Ji-min) in a loveless longterm relationship whose chance encounter with a single dad (Jung) threatens to shake up her entire life. Sparks fly after multiple accidental meetings, and the two of them decide to become friends. Naturally, this arrangement doesn’t last long as the two of them can’t deny their romantic attraction. Though One Spring Night is slowly paced to an almost irritating level — though it’s a nice change to the contrived plot twists of Something in the Rain — the chemistry between Han and Jung is sweet and sincere, and Ahn’s beautifully hazy direction makes the series a breeze to watch.

Watch This If You LikeSleepless in Seattle, Serendipity, When Harry Met Sally

read more at https://www.slashfilm.com/page/2/

Archived