[Drama 2019] My Prettiest Daughter In The World/ Mother of Mine, 세상에서 제일 예쁜 내 딸

larus

I watched RAW the first episode. I wanted to have an opinion about the drama. The drama is what they`ve promised. A realistic view of a family, day to day life of an ordinary family. I like it. After watching other dramatic series, watching this has a calming effect. :P I am sure they will complicate things later because they have 50 episodes to fulfil.

Lee Sang Woo`s cameo was nice. I laughed. I did not understand the situation. Mi Hye was eating  a lot to not have an opportunity to talk. Why?  I will find out when I watch with subtitle.

Shower scene! Abs!

Mi Ri is so tough. I don`t know what was that employee`s mistake.

Tae Joo started on the wrong foot with his boss. Mi Ri took his clean shirt. :D I would have done the same thing, if there was a pressure of time. Mi ri is nervious in Jeon In-Sook`s presence. I think she knows that she is her biological mother. I like that she knows but I wonder how she found out? We`ll see. 

I feel sorry for Mi sun. She is so stressed out and the husband is not helping. Her mother is helping her a lot but she is busy with her own life too.

Mi Hye is very outspoken. So far she met just Kim Woo Jin. She will have a nice relationship with Woo Jin and his friend. BTW, I like Woo Jin`s house.

The uncle of the sisters singing Hotel California with the ladle. :D

Park Sun Ja is Wonderwoman/Superwoman. How can she still has energy after days like that?  Hope she will find comfort too.

Character chart

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/11/2019 at 2:19 AM, larus said:

... women like Park Son Ja (Kim Hae Sook) staying in marriage with a drunk husband, supporting a mother in law from hell for so long ( how I read in some source) ...

Oh, no. Not that again please ....

On 1/11/2019 at 2:19 AM, larus said:

if they will give us romance, I want that but it has to be good.

This is a week-end drama. Usually, the principal (most important lead) is a senior person. Examples are "My Father is Strange", "My Golden Life", "The Man who Set the Table",  and "My Only One". The titles in these dramas actually refer to the principal senior lead.

This new serial has 2 titles, "My Prettiest Daughter in the World" or "Mother of Mine". I believe that the second title would be more accurate.

In order to attract romance viewers, usually there is a sub-plot for the main young lead's romance. However, from the middle of the serial to the end, the focus usually shifts to the senior lead, while the young main lead's romance would serve as a sideshow.

34 minutes ago, jasmine19 said:

Oh, no. Not that again please ....

The husband is nowhere to be seen. I think the husband I read about it will be Park Sun ja`s past story. Other sources  mention about a patriarchal husband and not an alchoholic.  Maybe she had a hard time in the past. From what I saw in the present,  Park Sun Ja has the girls and just a younger brother.

34 minutes ago, jasmine19 said:

In order to attract romance viewers, usually there is a sub-plot for the main young lead's romance. However, from the middle of the serial to the end, the focus usually shifts to the senior lead, while the young main lead's romance would serve as a sideshow.

I think this drama is about the four ladies. There weren`t many characters attached to them. I think we`ll have lots of scene in the family, so to speak.

I still think there are too many episodes in family dramas but I hope they will develop every character better. They have time.

KBS2 The new weekend drama 'My daughter, the most beautiful in the world' moved the reality as it is. The credibility of the production team, which is not an exciting material but an essential story, has been proven by ratings. Starting from the first broadcast on the 23rd, 26.6% of the ratings began to feel good.

2019032406524636264-540x713.jpg

http://tenasia.hankyung.com/archives/1683389

The ratings were good for a first episode but we`ll see if audience like ordinary, unexcited stories. I hope they like it.

Preview ep 3&4

I watched the episode with subtitles. It was much better because I understood everything.

Lee sang Woo`s cameo.... I thought that Mi Hye was there to replace her sister and I was right. Mi Ri, you ditched this man? :w00t:  Mi Hye says whatever crosses her mind  and I like it.

Mi Sun`s mother in law is annoying and I like how her husband is telling her some true things. I can`t believe that she is living next to Mi Sun`s building but she never helps her.

I innitially thought that Mi Ri was a little too harsh with assistant manager Park but he did a huge mistake.

Jeon In Sook became the president of Hansung Apparel (where Mi Ri and Tae Joo work). We find out that she met president Han at that time (Tae Joo`s father ) after his wife died and married him. I thought that she will be Tae Joo`s aunt but she is his step mother?

Can Ko Kyu-Pil appear one more time?  He has to give Sun ja another fine. :D

2 hours ago, rocher22 said:

Poor TJ...he didnt know what was happening to him.

But still, like every man, he took of his shirt, without too much thinking. :lol:

I like their chemistry on screen. 

His mind went blank. He stood there like an innocent lamb. What did he think it would happen after he took his shirt down? :w00t:

Preview ep 5&6

32 minutes ago, FruityPie said:

My bet is Mi Ri has been adopted and is really Jeon In Sook's daughter, hence Mi Ri's reaction when she saw her. Will Jeon In Sook be like the awful mom in Pinocchio, or will she be redeemed ?

You are correct, I just read the synopsis and JIS is the biological mother. But why was she looking at TJ's shirt and smoothing the initials on it? Are they half siblings?

On 3/23/2019 at 10:05 AM, larus said:

I watched RAW the first episode. I wanted to have an opinion about the drama. The drama is what they`ve promised. A realistic view of a family, day to day life of an ordinary family. I like it. After watching other dramatic series, watching this has a calming effect. :P I am sure they will complicate things later because they have 50 episodes to fulfil.

Lee Sang Woo`s cameo was nice. I laughed. I did not understand the situation. Mi Hye was eating  a lot to not have an opportunity to talk. Why?  I will find out when I watch with subtitle.

Shower scene! Abs!

Mi Ri is so tough. I don`t know what was that employee`s mistake.

Tae Joo started on the wrong foot with his boss. Mi Ri took his clean shirt. :D I would have done the same thing, if there was a pressure of time. Mi ri is nervious in Jeon In-Sook`s presence. I think she knows that she is her biological mother. I like that she knows but I wonder how she found out? We`ll see. 

I feel sorry for Mi sun. She is so stressed out and the husband is not helping. Her mother is helping her a lot but she is busy with her own life too.

Mi Hye is very outspoken. So far she met just Kim Woo Jin. She will have a nice relationship with Woo Jin and his friend. BTW, I like Woo Jin`s house.

The uncle of the sisters singing Hotel California with the ladle. :D

Park Sun Ja is Wonderwoman/Superwoman. How can she still has energy after days like that?  Hope she will find comfort too.

Character chart

According tho this chart, are MR and TJ half siblings?

1 hour ago, FruityPie said:

My bet is Mi Ri has been adopted and is really Jeon In Sook's daughter, hence Mi Ri's reaction when she saw her. Will Jeon In Sook be like the awful mom in Pinocchio, or will she be redeemed ?

Yeah, Mi Ri is adopted and Jeon Ji Sook is her biological mother. I am surprized that she knows who her mother is. I thought there will be a storyline where she finds out. I like that she knows she is adopted. Knowing this truth when you were a grown up woman is  shocking. People who came to terms with finding out later in life could have an identity crissis, others could feel  that they are neither part of their adoptive nor biological family, and the lack of a sense of belonging in could make them feel lonely. I thought she will have this storyline. This drama surprised me when I realised that she already knows. I am intrigued even more. How she found out? Her adoptive mother knows too? She loves her mother very much but she has unresolved feeings for her biological mother as well.

In the character description it is said that " she strives hard to show someone how a woman can become successful with her own strength and skills." It is obvious that she wants to show Jeon In Sook that. We already saw how emotional she gets in front of her biological mother. She has resentment towards her for abandoning her but in the same time she has the need to show her that she is worth it, she needs her approval. She has contradictory feelings towards In Sook. Again, watching the first episode it was obvious that she has followed Jeon In sook`s professional career. Mi Ri did not move on from the fact that she was abandoned as a child.

55 minutes ago, hell59 said:

You are correct, I just read the synopsis and JIS is the biological mother. But why was she looking at TJ's shirt and smoothing the initials on it? 

Who was smooting the initials? In Sook? She prepared the shirts with his initials. I wonder if she is a controling mother. Maybe she is overprotected mother because she has emotional "scars" from abandoning her real daughter. She could not take care of her biological daughter and she put all her love in another child, Tae Joo, her stepson.

Another thing... Maybe it was me but I thought that Tae Joo when he was looking at the initials on his shirt (after he took a shower) was a little burdened. Or maybe he was just nervious before a new job. We`ll see.

40 minutes ago, hell59 said:

According tho this chart, are MR and TJ half siblings?

Yes, but not officially. Like step siblings, not related by blood.  In the first episode, we found that In Sook married Tae Joo`s father after his wife has died. She dedicated almost 30 years for Han Tae Joo and his family. Before the drama started,  I thought that Ji Sook was an aunt to Tae Joo, like she was married with Han Jong-Soo`s brother or something, that she cares very much for Tae Joo.

The fact that her biological mother is Tae Joo`s step mother, that she gave him all her love all this years but she was abandoned instead, all this will be a problem between Mi ri and Tae Joo  when she will find out who he is. Their relationship will be already complicated because she is her boss. Let see how their relationship will develop.

@FruityPie Welcome to Soompi and this thread. :P I saw that you are a newbie. I hope you will have a good time here.

Kang Mi-hye went to the publisher 'Dolgot Road' with a new novel. The publisher was operated by Kim Woo Jin's father,
Kang Mi-hye came to see his father but it was Kim Woo-jin.
Kang Mi-hye, who misunderstood as another editor, said to Kim Woo-jin, "Who are you?" and he asked the same question . :D

The cute dog appeared finally. Cutie!!!!

tumblr_poo1x2X9ZU1sdd1ivo2_r1_540.png

19 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

No. The chart says that Mi Ri is senior to Tae Joo at their workplace. Jeon In Suk is TJ's aunt, but is also MR's superior, meaning a manager or a senior executive at work probably.

Thanks for the translation.Yes, In Sook is her superior at work.

So, my initial thought was right? In Sook is his aunt? There was a scene where people on television mentioned that she married President Han but did not mention the full name. They said that she married President Han after he lost his wife.

it was also mentioned that Han Sung Soo died, and Jeon In suk took his possition. Maybe Han Sung Soo was her husband and he was the brother of Tae joo`s father.

We`ll see. Being the aunt or step mother, In Sook helped rasing Tae Joo, that`s for sure. She was like a mother to him.

On 2/23/2019 at 3:04 PM, larus said:

About Mi Sun (played by Yoo Sun) and Mi Ri (played by Kim so Yeon)`s stills. Both women are in stressful situations. One is juggling with her job at the bank and being a mom of a kindergarden daughter. The other is a management position at a large company, in a very competitive enviorament.

Korean women face the greatest pressure in Korea to leave their jobs and take care of their children once they have a family. When I think about Min Sun, she has to be a superwoman to manage to keep her work and take care of her family. Without the help of her husband in sharing responsibilities in houseworks, Mi sun`s day to day life will be very hard.

Hope for win-win solution

If the situation, as you describe it, is true, then I sincerely wish that the women in the country could find a good solution. I also wish that the men in the country would help to find a good solution. In my observation, emancipation movement would only succeed if the menfolk support the movement. I also wish that the women would not forget the men's help, as seems to happen in some occidental countries.

On 2/23/2019 at 3:04 PM, larus said:

I don`t want to see women being forced to leave their job to have a child/ to take care of their family or to see a person becoming an workaholic, to spend way too long hours in the office.  Just seeing the first stills of Mi sun and Mi Ri, and I become a little sad.  I want them to be happy. I wish for them to find an work-life balance in their life, to be loved and to see them smiling. :P

Problem: (In these dramas) DIL has to serve as domestic maid

I have the same wish. It is to be noted that, in these dramas, what you describe as to take care of their families often means to take care their husbands' extended families.

After marriage a wife joins her husband's  extended family, which may consist of parents-in-law, grandparents-in-law, brothers & sisters-in-law and nephews & nieces in law.

The problem is that (1) even when the DIL also work for a living, she is expected to look after the big family, (2) her MIL may pressure her to leave work and serve the big family. 

Meanwhile, other members, including the brothers & sisters in law and nephews and nieces in law could behave as young masters/mistresses.

There are  a lot of examples, and some are worse, but I would present 2 average cases.

Case 1: "Shining Eun-Soo": Double work load (public & domestic)

Eun-Soo is a very capable worker. Yet, before and after she goes to work, and during week ends, she has to do all the house work. Her father's in law's sister, who gets free house and meal, just sits lazily. She even gives additional work to her. Her sister-in-law is also exempt from work. Her husband is willing to help her, but her mother-in-law opposes that. Thus, she has to work double (in the company and in the house).

Case 2: "My Only One": Leave public work to serve in domestic work

Do-Ran is a very capable worker. Yet, after she joins her husband's family , her MIL pressures her to leave the company and serve her parents-in-laws. She also has to take care of the grandma. Meanwhile, her brother-in-law's wife sits lazily, wasting money through shopping, while continually ruining Do-Ran' life. At the end of the serial, she still has not returned to the company, while still serving in her husband's house.

Conclusion

In these dramas, women who are DILs often become domestic servants, and are abused at that. The situation also often happens when the women are foster  daughters. (In "My Only One", before marriage, Do-Ran's foster mom exploits & abuses her). 

In other words, these serials often depict the exploitation of fellow women, especially daughter-in-laws and foster daughters.

Message for Dear production team and scriptwriter

It is to be noted that the exploitation of fellow humans were already banished during the French revolution in the 18th century.

Therefore,

Dear production team and scriptwriter, I wish you all the best of success.

Nevertheless, I could not help asking you this million dollar question:

Would this drama just describe the problems or would it offer solutions? 

Let the curtain opens. 

8 hours ago, stroppyse said:

According to the chart, TJ is Han Jong Soo's son, Jeon In Sook is listed as HJS' sister-in-law, more specifically, HJS' younger brother's wife rather than as HJS' wife. As an aunt, however, JIS would have helped raise TJ regardless.

You are right. It is possible that Han Sung Soo lost his wife (and I assumed it was Han Jong Soo). It was a scene where she was with a man on stage and he was not Tae Joo`s father. Plus, I read about an article that meantioned Ji Sook as aunt - mother to Tae Joo. Now, it makes sense. She was her aunt but she helped raised Tae Joo.

Maybe, after all these years in the family, Chairman Han Jong Soo, accepted her seing the dedication to the family and family business.

6 hours ago, zoks said:

So I'm following this mostly because I'm curious which of the three guys MH will end up with: the new guy, the one who has a crush on her, or the old boyfriend who is now successful.

Oh, that`s easy. She will end up with  Kim Woo Jin. :D But the prosess could be fun to watch.

2 hours ago, jasmine19 said:

Message for Dear production team and scriptwriter

It is to be noted that the exploitation of fellow humans were already banished during the French revolution in the 18th century.

Therefore,

Dear production team and scriptwriter, I wish you all the best of success.

Nevertheless, I could not help asking you this million dollar question:

Would this drama just describe the problems or would it offer solutions? 

Let the curtain opens. 

It's awful to see these capable women serving the family in law. I like that in this drama they don`t live in the same household.

If Mi Sun will leave her work I will be upset. She needs just help from the husband and the help of her husband`s parents who are leaving in the neighborhood (next building).

Park Sun ja is overworked. Mi Sun will realised that (she already knows but it is her only help to manage both job and homework). They both have to say NO. 

Ha Mi Ok refuses to help her but she has to serve her and her golf friends? Hell no. It is one thing to be polite to her mother in law and the other to be exploated. I am hoping that she will stand for herself later in the episodes.

Like mother, like son. The husband is childish. His mother in law is busy taking care of Da Bin and he was watching football on TV? And his mother in law has to clean the room after him? How humiliating! I hope he was embarassed enough to not do that again. I doubt it. He has to grow up. 

Hong Jong Hyun And Kim So Yeon’s New Drama “Mother Of Mine” Premieres To Impressive Ratings

by E. Cha

d321126127ad48aea709265905ab7dec.jpeg?s=

KBS 2TV’s new weekend drama “Mother of Mine” is off to a strong start!

According to Nielsen Korea, “Mother of Mine” is already on the rise—the March 23 premiere of the drama achieved impressive viewership ratings, scoring an average of 22.6 percent during its first half and 26.6 percent during its second.

However, the drama’s second broadcast on March 24 managed to perform even better, scoring average viewership ratings of 24.0 percent and 28.2 percent during its two parts.

I hope the Korean audience loves this show. It doesn`t have anything over the top but I wish they will continue to enjoy watching the mother - daughters relationship. I did thought of my mother after watching the first two episodes.

Kim So yeon BTS pictures from the poster shooting

Spoiler

Joo Ye Rim, cute girl.

Archived