[Drama 2018] Today’s Detective/The Ghost Detective, 오늘의 탐정

larus

@hushhh

I posted my thoughts on Da-Il being in a coma here.    

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2018/09/24/the-ghost-detective-is-da-il-in-a-coma

In sum, if he was in coma like the Woman in Red, and his spirit was wandering like the Woman in Red’s spirit, then 

a) his spirit should be returning to his comatose body every so often,
b) he should have fresh clothes (his must be stinky as cheese by now), and 

c) all the characters in the show, including DI, are delusional and we’re watching a kdrama with stupid leads. (ohhh nooo!). 

As for SS's attempted suicide, do you want me to fill you in because you didn't want to watch the scary parts? hahaha. Here --  

Spoiler

DI sees the Woman in Red (WooHye or WR) walking beside him so he knows that he’s going to be her next victim. He grabs her arm to stop her and in so doing, discovers another one of his Ghostly powers. He can disrupt her mind control over her target when he holds her. However, holding her causes him pain.

With WR distracted by DI, SS gets in his new car and drives off to his appointment with the hotel administrator to get info about the 1993 murder-suicide case involving WR and her family. But WR catches up with him at his meeting place. When he goes back to his car, his ballpoint pen drops and rolls under his car. He tries to reach for it but a disembodied hand (haha) appears in thin air and grabs his hand. It scratches his arm, and then tugs his whole body under the car. 

Meanwhile, back in the Bat Cave (or Detective Agency), DI and YW wonder where SS is at. They frantically try to reach him by phone, and when SS finally calls back, he tells that he’s fine although it’s clear that he’s not because he has three long scratches on his arm that disappear. He sounds sluggish. I think it’s because he’s already under the influence of WR.

DI and YW don’t wait for him to get home however. DI grows increasingly frustrated that he doesn’t know what he can and shouldn’t do so they go visit Gil Chae Won at the morgue. 

When SS arrives home, he receives a phone call from the Detective X who was first on the scene of the murder-suicide. They arrange a meeting at a café. At the café, we see that Detective X also has the distinctive mark of three long scratches on his face. It disappears before SS can see it.

The mark indicates that Detective X is under WR’s spell. We’ll find out later that this Detective X has actually been dead for 20 years. He suffered from depression and committed suicide 5 years after the handling the murder-suicide case. 

SS is taken to an abandoned hospital by Detective X. This is the place where Detective X died. Upon arriving at the abandoned hospital, Detective X’s face and body morph into an evil guy. 

It’s been alluded to, but not clarified, that SS had a history with this particular hospital. WR had planned for SS to meet Detective X because she wanted to make SS feel guilty about a past incident, and the hospital, according to DI, is “just the right place for that.” 

Both SS and the Detective X had entertained the thought that “it’d be better for for someone to be dead.” For Detective X, it was the girl WR. And for SS, it was a friend who had begged SS to kill him. 

Call it mercy killing, if you want. 

SS “tried” to kill his friend it, but I don’t think he succeeded. It’s possible that his friend committed suicide himself or died eventually… Anyway, to atone for his guilt, he tries to hang himself -- in this hospital (see how evil and meticulous the Woman in Red is?)  

DI arrives while SS is hallucinating and screaming his apology for wanting his friend dead to spare him the pain.

DI is helpless however and can’t stop the suicide. Then WR appears by his side and mentions that this is the reason SS drinks himself to sleep every night. DI holds her arm to stop her mental telepathy/mind control of SS. He successfully stops SS’ hallucinations for about a few seconds before WR turns her attention on him.  Now he starts hallucinating the usual vision of his mother’s suicide.  

Park and YeoWool arrive not a moment too soon. WR disappears because it’s her 1am curfew and Park carries SS down. YW cradles the injured DI in her arms (hahaha. Like Michaelangelo’s Pieta in St. Peter’s Basilica) and he jokes, “How dangerous can a ghost be?” meaning, he’s already a ghost, so how worse can it get for him?

When SS comes to, he can’t remember anything but being clobbered on the head. It’s assumed that he’s forgotten the incident, but there’s always the possibility that he’s lying. 

See that? There's nothing really THAT frightening about Detective X zombie/ghost. I muted the volume and read the subs.  

As for the possible romance between Detective Park and YeoWool...yes. It may or may happen. I'm not watching this kdrama for the romance to be quite honest. I’m ambivalent about any particular OTP because there are so many possibilities IF the writer and director want to go down that route. Who am I to stop them?  

For instance, Da-Il is a charismatic guy so he can be paired with YeoWool, ChaeWon (I like this; this would be a riot: a ghost and a shaman pairing), and Attorney Baek who seems to admire his integrity and probity. YeoWool would be the obvious one of course. 

However, if this were real life, I would like her to receive counseling first for PTSD and her general mental health before embarking on a romance. Actually, a romance for her right now, in light of everything that's happened and will happen to her, sends the wrong kind of message to people at risk for suicide....  My 2 cents. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, packmule3 said:

@hushhh

I posted my thoughts on Da-Il being in a coma here.    

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2018/09/24/the-ghost-detective-is-da-il-in-a-coma

In sum, if he was in coma like the Woman in Red, and his spirit was wandering like the Woman in Red’s spirit, then 

a) his spirit should be returning to his comatose body every so often,
b) he should have fresh clothes (his must be stinky as cheese by now), and 

c) all the characters in the show, including DI, are delusional and we’re watching a kdrama with stupid leads. (ohhh nooo!). 

As for SS's attempted suicide, do you want me to fill you in because you didn't want to watch the scary parts? hahaha. Here --  

Reveal hidden contents

DI sees the Woman in Red (WooHye or WR) walking beside him so he knows that he’s going to be her next victim. He grabs her arm to stop her and in so doing, discovers another one of his Ghostly powers. He can disrupt her mind control over her target when he holds her. However, holding her causes him pain.

With WR distracted by DI, SS gets in his new car and drives off to his appointment with the hotel administrator to get info about the 1993 murder-suicide case involving WR and her family. But WR catches up with him at his meeting place. When he goes back to his car, his ballpoint pen drops and rolls under his car. He tries to reach for it but a disembodied hand (haha) appears in thin air and grabs his hand. It scratches his arm, and then tugs his whole body under the car. 

Meanwhile, back in the Bat Cave (or Detective Agency), DI and YW wonder where SS is at. They frantically try to reach him by phone, and when SS finally calls back, he tells that he’s fine although it’s clear that he’s not because he has three long scratches on his arm that disappear. He sounds sluggish. I think it’s because he’s already under the influence of WR.

DI and YW don’t wait for him to get home however. DI grows increasingly frustrated that he doesn’t know what he can and shouldn’t do so they go visit Gil Chae Won at the morgue. 

When SS arrives home, he receives a phone call from the Detective X who was first on the scene of the murder-suicide. They arrange a meeting at a café. At the café, we see that Detective X also has the distinctive mark of three long scratches on his face. It disappears before SS can see it.

The mark indicates that Detective X is under WR’s spell. We’ll find out later that this Detective X has actually been dead for 20 years. He suffered from depression and committed suicide 5 years after the handling the murder-suicide case. 

SS is taken to an abandoned hospital by Detective X. This is the place where Detective X died. Upon arriving at the abandoned hospital, Detective X’s face and body morph into an evil guy. 

It’s been alluded to, but not clarified, that SS had a history with this particular hospital. WR had planned for SS to meet Detective X because she wanted to make SS feel guilty about a past incident, and the hospital, according to DI, is “just the right place for that.” 

Both SS and the Detective X had entertained the thought that “it’d be better for for someone to be dead.” For Detective X, it was the girl WR. And for SS, it was a friend who had begged SS to kill him. 

Call it mercy killing, if you want. 

SS “tried” to kill his friend it, but I don’t think he succeeded. It’s possible that his friend committed suicide himself or died eventually… Anyway, to atone for his guilt, he tries to hang himself -- in this hospital (see how evil and meticulous the Woman in Red is?)  

DI arrives while SS is hallucinating and screaming his apology for wanting his friend dead to spare him the pain.

DI is helpless however and can’t stop the suicide. Then WR appears by his side and mentions that this is the reason SS drinks himself to sleep every night. DI holds her arm to stop her mental telepathy/mind control of SS. He successfully stops SS’ hallucinations for about a few seconds before WR turns her attention on him.  Now he starts hallucinating the usual vision of his mother’s suicide.  

Park and YeoWool arrive not a moment too soon. WR disappears because it’s her 1am curfew and Park carries SS down. YW cradles the injured DI in her arms (hahaha. Like Michaelangelo’s Pieta in St. Peter’s Basilica) and he jokes, “How dangerous can a ghost be?” meaning, he’s already a ghost, so how worse can it get for him?

When SS comes to, he can’t remember anything but being clobbered on the head. It’s assumed that he’s forgotten the incident, but there’s always the possibility that he’s lying. 

See that? There's nothing really THAT frightening about Detective X zombie/ghost. I muted the volume and read the subs.  

As for the possible romance between Detective Park and YeoWool...yes. It may or may happen. I'm not watching this kdrama for the romance to be quite honest. I’m ambivalent about any particular OTP because there are so many possibilities IF the writer and director want to go down that route. Who am I to stop them?  

For instance, Da-Il is a charismatic guy so he can be paired with YeoWool, ChaeWon (I like this; this would be a riot: a ghost and a shaman pairing), and Attorney Baek who seems to admire his integrity and probity. YeoWool would be the obvious one of course. 

However, if this were real life, I would like her to receive counseling first for PTSD and her general mental health before embarking on a romance. Actually, a romance for her right now, in light of everything that's happened and will happen to her, sends the wrong kind of message to people at risk for suicide....  My 2 cents. 

Thanks for the recap. It was helpful.  I disengage with hung ghost started walking around as if his head was still in the noose.

Da-il's state of being.  A somewhat different analysis/interpretation of the evidence.

Read your blog post.

--i don't really take the reports of the characters about Da-Il's state of being as the final word. Except for the former Shaman none of them know anything about ghosts. It seems as if it is also their first time learning about Fetchs, so they don't really know squat.

Da-il's has never been "dead" before so he can't be trusted to know the kind of dead he is.

Da-il didn't known he was dead. He took some time to figure out his state of being. He accepted Yeolwool's analysis. She don't know much. As far as I figure she is learning as she goes.

SS just accepts what Yeolwool determined.

What's most convincing in your analysis is the nurse saying Da-il is dead because he's been hanging around "living ghost" for a bit and seems to know a lot about the metaphysics of it all. He knew Lady Red would have problems re-entering her body. But the real reason his thinking Da-il undermines my belief in the coma likelihood is because I assumed he'd have the body, and he doesn't-- unless he is a standard issue unreliable narrator.

The shaman is our best source of info since she is a former professional ghost associate, but even her information is limited. Da-il's is unlike ghosts she's known. Something about him is different. Shaman assumes it is because he isn't malevolent. She may be right or not on the reason for the difference.

The most convincing argument for Da-il being dead-dead is that he doesn't follow the rules for fetch established in the drama. Behavior is all.

But suppose he isn't a standard dead-ghost, nor a standard coma-fetch-ghost but something else the drama hasn't introduce us to.

Im pretty sure that Da-ghost-il is different from your standard issue ghost because Shaman said so and Red Lady said so.

Being the sweetheart she is, Red Lady has put a hand or two through your run of the mill ghosts from time to time since she seem to have access to ghosts she's cause to die.  When she put her hand through Da-Il what happened was different from all the other times she might have done it.

The other issue is that we don't have any standard issue ghost around for us to judge what is proper standard ghost behavior.

Here is something. Keep an eye on Detective Park. He's a good enough actor to make a role that is almost guaranteed to be boring interesting. I hope the story has more than diffidence in store for him.

I don't care if Da-il is dead or alive. I like Daniel Choi. He beautiful in a way that runs the risk of being ordinary and boring-yet he isn't. He play "decent" guys in a warm family friendly way without being boring. His screen romances are often borderline tepid.  The Musical was a letdown. I wanted my time. I put the responsibility for that on Ku Jye-Sun. From what I've seen she doesn't want to and shouldn't play romantic leads. Daniel Choi was sweet in Babyface Beauty. Sweet but not hot. 

So romance is fine, no romance is fine too if the story stays interesting.

2. ChaeWon is interesting.  I thought that she and Park might be interesting, but no. Park is more interesting with Yeolwool and ChaeWon with Da-Il would work. 

Da-Il doesn't seem to have full trust in Attorney Baek, even though she seems more connected to him than he gives her credit for.

3. After having Red Lady do her mind control bit on them--they all need therapy.

@packmule3

QUESTION: So Red Lady is an adult to her victims.  So why is she a child/teenager to the nurse and herself?  It was her youthful self outside of her adult body caressing it.

NARRATIVE STRUCTURE OBSERVATION:  Traditionally when ghosts hang around they usually have so huge soul manacling thing to accomplish on this plane before their spirit can be set free into the great beyond.

As of now I don't know of Da-Il having any great deed he has to accomplish that would make his spirit hang around.  He may be conscientious, to to put off great beyond on hold to finish a case seem . . . ? 

Maybe his mom's death was a more present concern in his life than I realized.

On 9/24/2018 at 12:31 AM, kaedechan said:

i don't think he can see ghost, at the hospital he's bowing to everyone (Mr. Han, Yeo-Wool & the M.E. Doctor), and i think he was just confused and wonder why Yeo Wool keep on talking to nobody (as he said when he and Yeo wool talked in front of the car after they rescue mr. Han), cmiiw ..

I guess the young detective is deaf as she was screaming and or shouting out LDI's name and why he is not connecting with and who she is referring to. Lol he's bowing to le competition :lol:

Love your analysis about Da Il @hushhh... :D

Yeah..!! His body is disappeared, he's not even a fetch & he doesn't seem to return to his body..!! YES, there is definitely something that we can't get here..!! Or the drama itself doesn't want us to get it!! "You shouldn't get it, it's all part of the climax so let it be..!!" Is that so..??!! :confused:..

In any case, Da Il isn't an ordinary ghost... He is so unique..!! At the very beginning of the drama, the writer took a logic of "A ghost can only be defeated by a ghost", so he turned him in to a ghost... And yes, that's understandable..!! But when that ghost destroys at the end, then what will happen to this ghost..??!! Just imagine... "Can't imagine".. Would he have to sacrifice even his spirit for others...!!?? :o The writer should have some better logic to explain what's with Da Il ....!! Even the unknown body at the beginning was a distractor..!!!

And as you said, at this rate, looks like we'd get a even more sad ending for the drama...!! :cold_sweat: So it's better they not fall hard for each other :heart::heartbreak:

Side note : I also like Daniel so much...!! In "The Musical", he was the only beautiful thing!! And In the end of "High Kick 2", when he's got killed in a car crash at the final ep, and it's said that some of his female fans left unconscious with that sad news of his character...!! But in here, he's dead at the very beginning of the show...!! :unsure: I must say this that, he's an extremely talented young guy..!! This drama is his best performance so far... He's greatly loved & respected by his fans...!! So I really hope the writer would do the justice for his character in the end..!! :wub:

1 hour ago, gm4queen said:

But in here, he's dead at the very beginning of the show...!!

LOL

Well no surprises.  Things can only look up, or down. But you have your warning.

Ans as you said, at this rate, looks like we'd get a even more sad ending for the drama...!! :cold_sweat:

I don't think I said that.

At this rate I'm not sure what a happy ending would look like.

I'm not sure what a sad ending would look like--except if Lady Red wins all.

7 hours ago, hushhh said:

LOL

Well no surprises.  Things can only look up, or down. But you have your warning.

I don't think I said that.

At this rate I'm not sure what a happy ending would look like.

I'm not sure what a sad ending would look like--except if Lady Red wins all.

I think this will be a "happy" ending but it depends on the viewer's metrics for happiness.  I've a low-bar, actually. I only want the Red Queen dead and some, not necessarily all, members of the Ghostbusters alive... really ALIVE. A sequel would be nice. 

Because we're being side-tracked by all the debate on Lee Da-Il's death, I'm going to shift focus here and point out some of the interesting developments in Episode 5 and 6. Like the YiRang's ex-boyfriend. I think he's dead, too. What do you think?

PAqXSke.jpg

And YeoWool's birthday, what do you think about that? I'd mentioned that I found Episode 4's beginning and end intriguing because her birthday was highlighted.

y9pzpoE.jpg

2Pc9J4c.jpg

It was interesting to discover that YeoWool's birthday (which nobody celebrated) was on the same day as Woohye's "death"day (which nobody noticed, too). 

I've mentioned more stuff in my blog. Just read them over there so I don't have to transfer the pics here and re-format my paragraphs here. lol 

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2018/09/25/the-ghost-detective-episodes-5-and-6

As to why Woman in  Red appears as a child to the nurse and a grown-up to Da-Il and YeoWool, and YiRang and the other suicide victims, I think it's because her appearance follows her "physical" form at the first encounter with her victim/target. Like the nurse. She met him as a child so she's frozen as a child. Da-Il and the rest encountered her when her physical body was in her 30s. 

It would be interesting, too, if she had appeared to Da-Il prior to his mom's suicide...his army experience, right? One of the privates committed suicide, and according to the press releases, Lee Da-Il was involved in the bullying that led to the soldier's suicide. Maybe that's why he's putting off going to the "great beyond" as you said. Atonement. lol. Maybe, just maybe, he's got a dark secret too. 

I've read your analysis @packmule3...!! All are beautifully written...

It's true that Yeo Wool was born in the day Sun Woo Hye jumped off the roof as a 12 years old girl... But how does the male nurse know it...??!! Is it his instinct or Sun Woo Hye herself told him that...??!! And how did the evil spirit - the lady in red come along..?? What is the reason for her existence..??!! The male nurse is so busy keeping the evil spirit alive...  He was narrating her a story about a fisherman & a pot to her... Now, it looks like as though he is the one who really opened the pot & let the evil spirit release...!!

Ans why the lady in red specifically attacked Da Il's mom & Yeo Wool's sister...??!! Sounds like she has some unfinished business with Da Il & Yeo Wool...!!!! Is there something to do with their blood groups..? Da Il is AB-, Yeo Wool is A+ & Sun Woo Hye is still unknown... It's said that AB- & A+ can receive blood from A-...!! Is Sun Woo Hye A-..??!! (Science & ICT)

And I think that the ending of this drama is based on all the main characters...!! Da Il, Yeo Wool & Sun Woo Hye.. The other characters are just there for support them...!!

Just my theory... Want to know your ideas too..!!

2 hours ago, gm4queen said:

t's said that AB- & A+ can receive blood from A-...!! Is Sun Woo Hye A-..??!! (Science & ICT)

I've got to say that one of the great mystery for me is why this series is sponsored by Science & ICT, especially since I have no idea what ICT is.

Yes, it's a mystery that a horror drama series is supported by it..!! :flushed: Looks like we have more than we see here...!

Seems like that one line on each episode is pretty good advertising since it will be sending people to find out what the organization is.  If the Ministry wants to recruit or just wants to make their presence known, this is one way to do it.

17 hours ago, packmule3 said:

I think this will be a "happy" ending but it depends on the viewer's metrics for happiness.  I've a low-bar, actually. I only want the Red Queen dead and some, not necessarily all, members of the Ghostbusters alive... really ALIVE. A sequel would be nice. 

Because we're being side-tracked by all the debate on Lee Da-Il's death, I'm going to shift focus here and point out some of the interesting developments in Episode 5 and 6. Like the YiRang's ex-boyfriend. I think he's dead, too. What do you think?

And YeoWool's birthday, what do you think about that? I'd mentioned that I found Episode 4's beginning and end intriguing because her birthday was highlighted.

It was interesting to discover that YeoWool's birthday (which nobody celebrated) was on the same day as Woohye's "death"day (which nobody noticed, too). 

I've mentioned more stuff in my blog. Just read them over there so I don't have to transfer the pics here and re-format my paragraphs here. lol 

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2018/09/25/the-ghost-detective-episodes-5-and-6

As to why Woman in  Red appears as a child to the nurse and a grown-up to Da-Il and YeoWool, and YiRang and the other suicide victims, I think it's because her appearance follows her "physical" form at the first encounter with her victim/target. Like the nurse. She met him as a child so she's frozen as a child. Da-Il and the rest encountered her when her physical body was in her 30s. 

It would be interesting, too, if she had appeared to Da-Il prior to his mom's suicide...his army experience, right? One of the privates committed suicide, and according to the press releases, Lee Da-Il was involved in the bullying that led to the soldier's suicide. Maybe that's why he's putting off going to the "great beyond" as you said. Atonement. lol. Maybe, just maybe, he's got a dark secret too. 

Read both your blog post, the post you linked and the post within the post. 

As per usual very interesting and insightful.  YOur power of observation and analysis are tremendous.

I'm not watching as carefully as you [I'm ascared], but even if I were I wouldn't notice all that you do.

The link between the victims remain a mystery--unless you have solved that already.

We seem to have a vengeance ghost. 

A child who was not loved uses her power to turn love into guilt and self loathing.  

Is she a psychopath because she wasn't loved or was she not loved because she was/is a psychopath?

Is the timing of YiRang's boyfriend's death significant.

Why the birthday? How old is YeolWool anyway? Maybe it's time to harvest the vessel.  If nurseman was always keeping an eye on YeolWool as a possible replacement vessel for Red Lady's spirit it would explain why he knows so much about her. Perhaps Yeolwool's dying wouldn't leave them with a viable vessel for use.  Maybe they need her to give up the will to live by destroying all she loves and holds dare. Her sister.  So far there is no support for this extrapolation so i'll just stop.

4 minutes ago, kaedechan said:

Awww Yeo-wool fell asleep in Da Il's room back at the office, while they were talking. There's twinkle in her eyes when she's staring at Da Il and she shoved a sachet of red ginseng ( i think) into his mouth, so cute :wub:

WOW... I've just watched it...!! It's so sweet...!! Just look at her eyes... Yes, she is falling for him ...!! And she was talking about love, I think...!! :wub: And our handsome ghost is so rascal...!! :D Our girl is in... :heart: Can't wait for eng sub...

So .. from what i've seen, it seemed Da Il didn't make any evil deal with the tunnel ghost, it changed into the ghost woman (chae won's mom?) and then she teach Da Il how to be able to touch things, and for Da Il it's a matter of strong motivation to protect his loved one, because at a first few try, Da Il still couldn't touch the beer can, but after he had an image of Yeo-Wool being killed by the red lady, he then able to grab the can *hooray !

but then the crazy ghost reappear and choke Da Il's neck, that's when Da Il's eyes turn red, and then he fight the crazy ghost. I don't really know what exactly happen there, i'm dying for eng sub :bawling:

23 minutes ago, kaedechan said:

So .. from what i've seen, it seemed Da Il didn't make any evil deal with the tunnel ghost, it changed into the ghost woman (chae won's mom?) and then she teach Da Il how to be able to touch things, and for Da Il it's a matter of strong motivation to protect his loved one, because at a first few try, Da Il still couldn't touch the beer can, but after he had an image of Yeo-Wool being killed by the red lady, he then able to grab the can *hooray !

but then the crazy ghost reappear and choke Da Il's neck, that's when Da Il's eyes turn red, and then he fight the crazy ghost. I don't really know what exactly happen there, i'm dying for eng sub :bawling:

Agree with you. Da Il didn't turn in to evil. And he can't either b'cause he is the positive strength of everyone...!! And it's all about the power of human mind, isn't it..? That's why he could touch the can when his mind's got a powerful feeling... So happy that our hero is safe..!!

And looks like we've got few hyung & Da Il scenes today.. Hyung can't see him but, he can feel him...!!. And He told Da Il that he misses him so much... Those are the emotional parts of this drama...!

And I think that today's eps are a sum of happiness, sadness, fear, anger & jokes...!! Now it's the same here...!! :blush: Waiting for eng sub...

Archived