[Drama 2018] My ID is Gangnam Beauty, 내 ID는 강남미인

0ly40

Just now, stuartjmz said:

Indeed, but I could not say those words, because "not all men" is odious when said by one :) 

Maybe I should've said "random characters" which unfortunately don't have a good impact on Mi-Rae. :) Honestly I don't like the female students either. They all come across as fake and simply not genuinely nice. Except for Mi-Rae's friend.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Maybe I should've said "random characters" which unfortunately don't have a good impact on Mi-Rae. :) Honestly I don't like the female students either. They all come across as fake and simply not genuinely nice. Except for Mi-Rae's friend.

Yes, the female students show no real support to other women. At school the bullying was possible because the female students supported the male students. They kept repeating what the others were saying. That way, they ensured that they would not become a victim of bully.

Now that KMR was popular made the other female students envious. Calling KMR a Gangnam beauty behind her back reveals their jealousy. They wished, they would be popular as well. Diminishing her beauty increases their chance to "get a guy". Many women have adopted this mentality: appearances matter a lot, men have a huge impact in their lives... they need to be admired by men aso.   

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

Yes, the female students show no real support to other women. At school the bullying was possible because the female students supported the male students. They kept repeating what the others were saying. That way, they ensured that they would not become a victim of bully.

Now that KMR was popular made the other female students envious. Calling KMR a Gangnam beauty behind her back reveals their jealousy. They wished, they would be popular as well. Diminishing her beauty increases their chance to "get a guy". Many women have adopted this mentality: appearances matter a lot, men have a huge impact in their lives... they need to be admired by men aso.   

You know I just wish they maybe move on from that attitude. I know this isn't necessarily realistic but I'm always in for the female lead to have genuine girlfriends who support her and tell not to care what people talk about her. And especially what guys talk about her.

I don't need a revolution since those type of women you described exist but I just want more female characters to root for. I don't need Mi-Rae to be put down by almost everyone to be on her side. And btw that's not just a problem in this drama or k-dramas overall. It's also a problem in American or European tv shows as well.

Hi, I am new in this thread. :) I just watched the first two episodes, and so far I like the theme of the drama. I started watching this because of the talented Kwak Dong-yeon, who caught my eye in Modern Farmer. 

I haven't read the webtoon, so I have no idea what messages the writer will choose to convey throughout the drama. I do feel, though, that this show is not only about plastic surgery.

Kids (and adults to some extent) will always find reasons to bully someone. Be it from weight, social status, intelligence, looks, etc. I do think that most people will have experienced some sort of bullying at some point in their lives (either as a bully, being bullied or seeing someone being bullied). This is something in the story many people can relate to.

I do think it is important to remember that bullying always says a lot more about the person bullying, than about the person being bullied. A truly happy person with good self-esteem, stable upbringing and without traumas in their closet, will never bully. It is always the people that are not in touch with their inner self and that are generally unhappy, who put other people down to make themselves feel better. The person being bullied is not at fault.

Also, you can only find true happiness from the inside, never from the outside. You can change your appearance, get a good job, find a romantic relationship. But happiness that comes from the outside never lasts. Only happiness that comes from the inside will never fade. I hope our main heroine will come to realize this during her journey. That she is just perfect the way she is, and that she always was. :heart:

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

You know I just wish they maybe move on from that attitude. I know this isn't necessarily realistic but I'm always in for the female lead to have genuine girlfriends who support her and tell not to care what people talk about her. And especially what guys talk about her.

I don't need a revolution since those type of women you described exist but I just want more female characterS to root for. I don't need Mi-Rae to be put down to be put down by almost everyone to be on her side. And btw that's not just a problem in this drama or k-dramas overall. It's also a problem in American or European tv shows as well.

Well, in the webtoon little by little KMR is able to find new friends (female). Notice that although she was called a Gangnam beauty behind her back, there were two female students who remained by her side. Right now, they are not that close but I hope, just like in the webtoon, they realize how kind and genuine KMR is. Right now, the semester has just started. 

As for her friend from middle school, she can not be by her side all the time as she is studying something else. I don't think that KMR disrespected her, when she mentioned she had found a friend. KMR was saying it because SA is in the same department. I can understand her, as KMR has to find new friends... especially for group work. 

10 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@Jillia 

Reveal hidden contents

Based on the webtoon, DKS wasn't in love with her at middle school. It is just that she helped him with the perfume he was looking for. KMR is not just a damsel in distress, she will be the one who helps him to reconnect with his mother.

This drama is not just about plastic surgery but much more about the hypocrisy of the society, the "patriarchal and misogynic" mentality in SK. First, DKS was the first one who pointed out that these male students were considering women like objects. It is clearly shown that women are judged on their look, even KMR's father is not really different. He kept praising her looks in front of the client. He compared her to famous people. Sure, he praised her for her intelligence and her hard work but it came later. Imagine the irony, some women are pressured to look good and decide to undergo surgery, but if the plastic surgery is revealed, then they will become gossip. On the other hand, the appearances of men is not questioned. Secondly, there is a reason why DKS could figure out SA's personality from the start. He has actually a very negative image of women in general that's why he revealed the "secret" in front of YJ's girlfriend. Once she heard that YJ was even willing to reject his inheritance, the woman showed her true intention. On the other hand, YJ wasn't that heartbroken. DKS knew about it which he underlined. His negative perception of women is related to his mother: like he said, she is dead to him. DKS noticed KMR for many reasons (not only the name and the perfume). Unlike all the other girls, she doesn't even try to hit on any guy. He noticed her insecurities, her innocence and her honesty. She keeps her distance from them... all the other female students are different. They are quite clingy.   

Thank you for the spoiler. After watching the first two episodes and really understanding the situations, its like you stated about DKS. For me, the reasonings why he's negative is obviously his mother left them and his father is the congressman, he literally has no parents around. Also wherever he went, people stared at him, because he was the most handsome guy, I'm sure his character he just wants to be accepted for who he is and understand the pain he went through.

I hope it doesn't drag on long with SA tricking KMR around. Like seriously, I freaken hate her character. Man! She played it soo well that you literally hate those two face woman. I hope KMR start to realize it quickier that SA is an evil person and she doesn't consider her as an "angel" or her "friend" anymore.

Does anyone know where I can read the webtoon?

@turtle0217 If you are interested in DKS's past... read at your own expense.

Spoiler

Actually, DKS thinks that his mother abandoned them and if I remember it correctly,  he thought, she had fallen in love with an younger man... That's what DKS has always thought. However, his father kind of brainwashed him. In reality, he was someone who wanted to have a doll as housewife. She wanted to keep working and at some point, he became violent and hurt her. As a Congressman, he wants to give the impression that he is perfect. That's why he acted as if he was generous to the motobike driver. 

7 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@turtle0217 If you are interested in DKS's past... read to your own expense.

Reveal hidden contents

Actually, DKS thinks that his mother abandoned them and if I remember it correctly,  he thought, she had fallen in love with an younger man... That's what DKS has always thought. However, his father kind of brainwashed him. In reality, he was someone who wanted to have a doll as housewife. She wanted to keep working and at some point, he became violent and hurt her. As a Congressman, he wants to give the impression that he is perfect. That's why he acted as if he was generous to the motobike driver. 

:scream: :scream:

Thank you for sharing. I'm shocked, now really looking forward to KMR helping him, too.

@bebebisous33, you’re so spot on. I’d like to highlight especially how you pointed out how the physical appearances of men aren’t questioned. The senior, in particular, seem to think very highly of himself when to me he has absolutely nothing going for him including personality. He’s a creep. I also don’t understand why the girls aren’t more assertive. I know nobody wants to be a killjoy in a fun setting but I always find it problematic that females in drama shows keep allowing themselves to be coerced into drinking more than they should. As to KMR, I’m hoping that she gains confidence as the show progresses because currently she just goes along with people perhaps out of her desire to be accepted and liked by others. She also needs to get a clue soon about that fake friend Soo Ah.

13 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

for debates sake

why is plastic surgery bad in the first place? why do people flinch their nose when they hear someone got cosmetic done or wants to do.. or in general why is it still a taboo?

does it have sever side-effects for everyone - like drugs or smoking?

let's take away the context of bullying and society pressure, but if someone just isn't happy about their nose and wants to fix it ,w hat is so wrong about it? isn't that same as saying don't get tatoo / you are a woman stay in burqua / you are a woman learn cooking/.. oh! you are a woman and don't know how to cook !!!... etc etc etc

well in the Western context plastic surgery is forboden because our morality is largely shaped by Jewish bronze age purity rites and beliefs

specifically is the Judeo-Christian belief that "your body is his temple."  in other words the body you have doesn't really belong to you, it belongs to God.  as such you have no right to desecrate or alter it.

Western society in general because it is based on Jewish beliefs is extremely judgmental in terms of morality.  Everything is about "sin" or being "wrong."  Even something as simple as getting a tattoo until the 20th century was literally considered morally "wrong" because again, some Bronze Aged sheep herders 2500 years ago decided that they didn't like it.   Obviously things like homosexuality and abortion were also "sinful" again going back to this idea that your body is the repository of your soul, both given to you by the Jewish god, and thus something that you do not own or have the right to do random things with.

This is a "internal morality" or supernatural morality.  In this (Western) system people's behaviors are kept in check because a Magic Baby who KNOWS ALL watches you and will send you to hades if you violate his rules.  This is in contrast to "external morality" that characterizes Asian societies.

Asian culture is socially judgmental.  In other words not necessarily that you're going to hell, but that "this is not what we do."  It's about saving face, and it's more relativistic.  For example in general Koreans with the exception of the Crazy Christians were traditionally not that concerned with white ppl being gay with each other.  It was seen as something that these Outsiders might do in their own society and had really not much bearing on what Koreans do or Korean society as it was seen as something external to the Korean system.  That is why Asian cultures often have 2 standards for what's acceptable for "Koreans" and a separate one for Americans or foreigners (which white ppl, black ppl will naturally learn to exploit while living in Korea, Japan etc but also at times lament or complain about).  In the Christian or Jewish context they are EXTREMELY concerned with what the non-believers are doing and obsessed with telling everyone how to live and that they are going to hell etc.  Sending missionaries or starting wars to educate the non-believers etc.

so that's why the type of hysteria and judgment in the West against plastic surgery goes beyond just disapproval to actual moral outrage and judgment on the character of the person.  most people just have internalized that bias, and most of them do not know where it comes from.  many of them don't even believe in Christ or any of that stuff, but the illogical attitude passed down generation after generation shapes ppl's opinions

obviously there is also an innate sense of discomfort or judgment about plastic surgery even in non-Western cultures.  and this has to do with 1) fear of new things 2)concern about the medical safety or longterm effects 3)a skepticism about things that are considered "unnatural"  but it also explains why in Asia plastic surgery is more logically considered and to a degree more acceptable.

of course here in the West because 1)most Americans know nothing about Asia, let along the rest of the world 2)our ignorance shapes our cocksure beliefs we tend to characterize that consideration of plastic surgery in our terms: racial terms... Asians accept PS because "they don't want to look Asian" or "want to be white" etc

13 hours ago, Sejabini said:

Park Min Young get plastic surgery but she is very talented. I like her so much. She is beautiful. 

Annyeong everyone, I like this new drama very much due to the story and also the main leads. I like  Im Soo Hyang from The Rose of Sharon has Bloomed. This is the first time I see Cha Eun Woo in a drama but I know him as a member of ASTRO. He is a very very very handsome young man. Looking forward to his acting. So far he has done a good job in Ep1 and 2.

Hi @Sejabini Yup Park Min Young is not a natural beauty, I got a shock to see her "Before and After" but that don't stop me from liking her. I have always like her acting since Sungkungkwan Scandal. I especially like her acting in What's Wrong With Secretary Kim. Anyway there are a number of actresses and even actors who have done plastic surgery. I don't mind at all as long their acting are great.

Hi All, 

I'd like to jump on to this wagon for discussion. I think the theme of this drama is fresh, complex, and controversial.

More people should watch this. I'm not a fan of both actors but I think they have portrayed their characters well so far (currently just start reading the webtoon). 

What made me interested in this drama is the different outlook each main characters had when it comes to beauty and so many other social aspects. I only read briefly this page and see heavy discussion by @bebebisous33 as always.. *thumbs up. :D

KMR and DKS have so many layers in their characters. It's interesting to peel them off and discuss them. 
HSA is your typical antagonist and merits a good discussion on how not to become her. :sweatingbullets:

Imagine to be born and blessed with such good looks. From baby perhaps, people have been telling you how beautiful you are. So much that it defines you. HSA is beautiful. It doesn't matter if she's not smart or talented, her beauty is enough to make up for it. I can vaguely understand HSA (I say vague since I'm not THAT beautiful :P ). She must have had an occasion in her life where she wants to be known for something other than being beautiful but people refuse to understand it. Perhaps that drives her to what she is today. Manipulative and scheming, knowing full well that she will be forgiven. Reminds me of a quote from Alexander McCall-Smith, "And the beautiful are forgiven, no matter how egregious their shortcomings are, they are forgiven."

Interestingly, DKS, I assume (since I didn't know his background story), when being treated the same as HSA since he was a child, have a different reaction to people telling him beautiful. Instead of using it for his benefit, he pushed people off. The easiest path for beautiful people is to use their beauty to make life better for them, but he didn't. I read briefly his background story saying that he's been emotionally hurt by his mother? I wonder how that affects him to be the person he is today. To be able to look beyond the skin takes some serious life experience skills. I think DKS is the most complex character out of all the characters. 

(Cha Eun-Woo, the actor, is also super good-looking. Taking this drama project is probably a moral trip for him as well)

If DKS is the most complex character, KMR and her situation is the most discussable. She went through hell during her childhood to adolescent age by being ugly. I'm not opposed to plastic surgery though I'm a hard believer in you-should-cherish-what-you-have-and-make-the-best-of-it. But I can understand her misery. Her ugliness is akin to her disability to lead a normal life. I liken her situation to someone with terrible burn scar (though honestly people will be more sympathetic to burn victims than to people like KMR), and that the only solution is to undergo plastic surgery. It's for her mental health, not for her vanity. But society is a hard for women and beauty. 

Sorry for the long post. _/\_

@penelop3 I am glad that you are joining this thread.cheerleader pink mouse @turtle0217 @penelop3 Both thanks a lot for the compliment.crazy monkey 

Some people are complaining that KMR should have been more assertive to the student Kim Chan Woo. But they seem to forget that KMR has been abused for so many years. Being bullied is not different from domestic violence. Both are connected to physical and mental violence/abuse. An abused housewife won't leave her violent man so easily, she will even believe that at some point she might be the reason why her husband has to be violent. The more they try to conform to the expectations, the more they think that everything will return to normal... however, the expectations keep getting higher and higher, until the person is mentally and physically broken. Therefore it usually takes an amount of courage to denunciate this kind of violence and to leave the spouse behind. For KMR, it is not so different. Sure, the mental and physical abuse is not related to one person which makes it worse. Unlike the housewife, she can not leave the school as she needs to get her school graduation. Changing school is not really an option, since that kind of reputation (being a bullied victim)  follows you.

Watch this and you will understand why bullying in SK is so terrible. The most horrifying thing is that the teachers and parents seem to be powerless and even accept such a thing. That's why there are a lot of suicides of students in SK. Besides, we shouldn't forget that when KMR was called a pig, she defended herself which proves that she was a strong and strong-willed person. However, like she pointed out, the more she defended herself, the more it backfired on her. Hence she used a different way: she tried to follow the standards by losing weight. Hence she internalized that following the "mass" was a way to protect herself. She should not catch the attention of the others, she should conform herself to others. By saying no, she will attract attention and this is why she never refuses anything. During her High school, you can see how she has internalized it, when she refuses to be photographed. She had accepted the standards: her face is ugly. That's the reason why she did the plastic surgery... in her mind, she just needs to follow the criteria and then everything will be fine. She doesn't want to attract attention hence she feels uncomfortable and insecure as soon as people put her in the center. 

To conclude, KMR is afraid that once she refuses something, she might catch some hostility and trigger anger. Notice that she wasn't totally wrong. However, I see that KMR is not entirely obedient, she wanted to refuse to become his girlfriend which was a huge step. She had realized that she needed to put some boundaries. Nevertheless, she never came to reject his empty and shallow confession as he rejected her first. The irony is that he got caught at his own game: he didn't ask himself if SA's confession was empty and shallow like his own. 

Finally, we could see that KMR's fight spirit is not entirely lost, as she defended herself physically. However, his remark (she is a monster) hurt her deeply as she had thought that if she conformed to the standards of beauty, she will be left alone. She needs to realize that following the standards is not the right answer. She is about to come to this conclusion. 

@alekaonu @celebrianna 

I agree, @bebebisous33. :) I don't see Mi-Rae as somebody who should or could've been more forward and more defensive in regards of Mr. Douchebag. As I said before I understand her. I've been bullied for various reasons in school as well. First because of my nose - hence why I took this as an example in my other post - and then for my weight - I had a accident and couldn't walk and therefore not do anything afterwards but people simply didn't care or know.

So I understand Mi-Rae's state of mind. At some point when being bullied there is a moment of fighting back and then giving up or trying to fit in in a morbid kind of way like accepting being the victim. I was lucky to have friends who defended me, so I had great support there. But even though I moved passed my insecurities during and after school I'm not free of moments of anxiety and insecurity from time to time. It leaves a mark no matter what. And since bullying in South Korea is on another level I can only imagine how terrible it must be but the fact that South Korea does have the highest suicide rates in the world and also the highest student suicides among those... it's saying  a lot.

So I didn't and still don't expect Mi-Rae to be suddenly sassy. I thought it was realistic she was worried and insecure but also worried to choose the wrong words when the one girl told her she got the looks and the pretty name while her name isn't pretty at all. Everything is going on in her mind instead of speaking out. I think the last scene was just a small step forward but a important one. As I said it's nice to have somebody else standing up for her but I think it's even more important for her speak up for herself and hopefully move past the trauma, even though it may never leave her.

Again I'm writing this without reading the webtoon. So no idea what's going to happen there.

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

@penelop3 I am glad that you are joining this thread.cheerleader pink mouse @turtle0217 @penelop3 Both thanks a lot for the compliment.crazy monkey 

Some people are complaining that KMR should have been more assertive to the student Kim Chan Woo. But they seem to forget that KMR has been abused for so many years. Being bullied is not different from domestic violence. Both are connected to physical and mental violence/abuse. 

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

I agree, @bebebisous33. :) I don't see Mi-Rae as somebody who should or could've been more forward and more defensive in regards of Mr. Douchebag. As I said before I understand her. I've been bullied for various reasons in school as well. First because of my nose - hence why I took this as an example in my other post - and then for my weight - I had a accident and couldn't walk and therefore not do anything afterwards but people simply didn't care or know.

So I understand Mi-Rae's state of mind. At some point when being bullied there is a moment of fighting back and then giving up or trying to fit in in a morbid kind of way like accepting being the victim. I was lucky to have friends who defended me, so I had great support there. But even though I moved passed my insecurities during and after school I'm not free of moments of anxiety and insecurity from time to time. It leaves a mark no matter what. And since bullying in South Korea is on another level I can only imagine how terrible it must be but the fact that South Korea does have the highest suicide rates in the world and also the highest student suicides among those... it's saying  a lot.

So I didn't and still don't expect Mi-Rae to be suddenly sassy. I thought it was realistic she was worried and insecure but also worried to choose the wrong words when the one girl told her she got the looks and the pretty name while her name isn't pretty at all. Everything is going on in her mind instead of speaking out. I think the last scene was just a small step forward but a important one. As I said it's nice to have somebody else standing up for her but I think it's even more important for her speak up for herself and hopefully move past the trauma, even though it may never leave her.

Again I'm writing this without reading the webtoon. So no idea what's going to happen there.

Bully is just not a good thing. I mean for KMR's character like it's been with her growing up, it made her become a low self-esteem person and very self-cautious about everything around her. It destroyed a lot for KMR, mentally and physically. 

I'm glad she said something to that creep sunbae. I hope she starts to realize it sooner that it don't matter, she needs to stand up for herself and show people how she really is and the beauty inside of her.

That's why I'm liking where this drama is heading. It's a healing and acceptance storyline. I'm not keeping up expectation up high, but I am looking forward to the healing KMR and DKS will do for one another. 

@snowpearlxl Liking the video. :D

hello all chingus here

so far i love kang Mi-rae Do kyung-seok characters and i love the way they portray her parents in the drama in a webtoon her parent told to pay for PS herself cos there is a lot to be done exorcist-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif

Kwak dong yeon OMG he so Damned fine and sexy LOL i cant get enough bled1-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862492Second Lead Syndrome is already setting in!
f01d0ad19573e86ce1bd5159063d3c9b205662477c94851a2a55fd4e28f2abddfc571084b4d42375

Hi guys

been missing for a couple weeks and finally i could watch the two episode and it's great so far. Although many people praising Eun Woo face rather than his acting in this drama. I see his acting finally developed much better. He nailed the rock stone Do Kyung Sook so much and Kang Mirae, gosh, she really like a carbon copy from the webtoon :D 

i like how the story running right now and finally, Mirae has best friend in her side since in the webtoon she does have no one in her side and gosh, Kwak Dong Yeon as second lead already setting in my heart. Damn, he is so fine~

about her mother, her mother had a deep trauma over her husband and she really missed her children so much. She has illness after divorced her husband and i can't blame her thou. Her husband is a douchebag and i am wondering why they didn't put Burberry Body perfume as the perfume instead. Well this time the Attelier 

6 hours ago, tianaa said:

Kwak dong yeon OMG he so Damned fine and sexy LOL i cant get enough bled1-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862492Second Lead Syndrome is already setting in!

3 hours ago, ruzikie said:

i like how the story running right now and finally, Mirae has best friend in her side since in the webtoon she does have no one in her side and gosh, Kwak Dong Yeon as second lead already setting in my heart. Damn, he is so fine~

Glad to see other Kwak Dong Yeon fans here!!! :)

Has anyone noticed that he is an actor that always seems to play characters that are older than his real age? Maybe because he looks older and portrays a more mature vibe than his 21 years? ;)

According to the plot synopsis he will "take an interest" in Mi Rae, which is a bit weird with him being her teacher and all... I am not complaining, though, as I am just happy to see him on TV again.

Archived